[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gym Leaders

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: leaders.jpg (2MB, 4392x3524px) Image search: [Google]
leaders.jpg
2MB, 4392x3524px
Unova=Johto>Kanto>Hoenn>Sinnoh>Kalos

In Gen 5 and HGSS, all the Gym Leaders have interesting things to do and say outside their gyms, have personalities, and talk with the player. Stuff like Memory Link cutscenes or Pokegear calls also gave us interesting things about them.

Kalos was the Gym formula at it's most stale, which is probably why people were longing for a change so hard after that. Most of the leaders are literally whos. Korrina's lore centred on Lucario town, and the most interesting thing about Valerie is all related to coming from Johto. Wulfric is cool though.
>>
Love Marlon somuch
>>
>>30167049
>Wulfric is cool though.
Agreed.

Ramos talks funny, so I like him too, but I know he's unpopular.

The only Kalos gym leaders I hate are Olympia and Korrina. Olympia is devoid of any character or personality. Korrina had the most dialogue out of any Kalos leader, but she never says or does anything interesting. They both look ridiculous.

Grant has little personality by comparison, but he has a nice look and a great gym.

TL;DR Wulfric is the best Kalos gym leader and the rest are all "meh" to horrible. Clemont is great in the anime, but in the games he doesn't get a chance to shine.
>>
>>30167705
I like Valerie, purely because I'm a Johtofag, but besides that, you're pretty much right.
>>
File: 30265975_p9_master1200.jpg (70KB, 626x626px) Image search: [Google]
30265975_p9_master1200.jpg
70KB, 626x626px
I want to go swimming with Marlon.
>>
>>30167049
Game rankings

Unova>hoenn>johto>sinnoh>kanto>kalos

Unova gym leaders are all interesting in their own right. Between Elesas modelling gig, and Brycen's acting gig, then of course there was them all coming together for the final showdown. First ones to feel like they did their job.

Hoenn benefit from our dad being a gym leader adding some more weight to our battle. Flannery, Wallace and the twins all had some neat quirks that made them memorable too.

Johto leaders were ok. Morty Chuck and Jasmine were the best ones. Hasmonean is such a lady, Morty has some nice connection with the lore, and Chuck is just so loveable.

Sinnoh leaders are meh. Volkner is the only cool one because he has some connection to another character. Gardenia had something going on with her fear of ghost, but nothing beyond it.

Despite being the most iconic, the kanto leaders are just flat at least in the games. The only interesting ones are the viroid an leaders only because one was a team boss and the other a rival/champion

Kalos leaders are trash. I had look up some because I easily forget them. Korrina is the only one worth mentioning, but even she ain't that good.

Anime

Kanto>sinnoh>kalos>hoenn>johto>unova

Kanto leaders were given such charisma and some of the best episodes of the first season involve them. From Sabrina to Blaine, never a dull, well except Koga. They also cheat because 2 are companions of Ash, and are miles more endearing than the game versions.

Most of the other ones form a bubble in mediocrity but some that stick out are Clemont obviously, Volkner(terrific mini arc), the kalos leaders ripping off the unova leaders get together and Cilan(for how bad he is)
>>
>>30168525
I think Blaine, Sabrina and Koga/Janine were pretty good Kanto leaders.

Also, everyone says Flannery is memorable but I really dont see how
>>
>>30168904
Flannery was a babies first waifu.
>>
>>30167049
Eh I'd put Hoenn=Sinnoh
>>
>>30169045
Norman and Tate/Liza were at least memorable fights.

What's a well known difficult battle in Sinnoh?

>>30168996
That makes sense
>>
>>30169598
>What's a well known difficult battle in Sinnoh?
It's been many years now and most people probably forgot, but back in the day, Roark was rightly feared. Cranidos was a monster, and he used Stealth Rock and Pursuit to punish switches.

The rest were pretty meh, sadly. I wanted Byron to be super difficult to one-up his son, but sadly he has no real team synergy and Bastiodon is utter trash.
>>
>>30167049
They're all pretty hit and miss.

Kanto has the best designs, but they don't really do anything in game. If they were revamped to be more like their manga/anime counterparts they would be better.

Unova is the best because they actually have a role and have interesting gimmicks overall.
>>
>>30170076
Actually, I do remember people talking about Roark's Craniados' high attack for early game

I dont remember Byron, but I think my team didnt have much to counter Steel. Only Rapidash.

>>30170873
eh, I dunno if I'd put Kanto as best designs.

Though I also dont know what I'd put in it's place either.
>>
>>30167426
>>30168452
husbandofags lets not
>>
Honestly, the gym leaders in the first four generations are pretty unremarkable to me, besides Sabrina, Blaine, Giovanni, Morty, Clair, Wattson, and Norman due to being the only ones with any real notable presence outside of the gyms aside from one-off scenes. On the subject of the one-off scenes themelves, HGSS gives some nice optional scenes to the Kanto and Johto ones, ORAS to the Hoenn ones, and Platinum to the Sinnoh ones, but it isn't really much to get me attached to them. I guess there's FRLG's Fame Checker, but I don't remember much about its comments.

Unova definitely has the most effort put into them, sadly I'm not really a fan of most of them despite that. I think I just really hate Ohmura's design style around BW1 so I'm instantly put off by first impressions. Marlon and Burgh are probably the two I like the most because Marlon's beyond chill and I recall Burgh being the only one to be like "sorry for wasting your time with the Plasma shit, let's cut right to the chase".

I like the Kalos leaders in general and unlike most actually remember them, but I won't deny they're flat as all fuck. Like most of XY's characters their issue is that they never get a chance to shine at all despite clearly having thought put into their backgrounds and personalities. There's apparently some extra info you can learn about them all from TVs in the game, but that's so hidden away it might as well not be there to the average player. The woefully underused characters of Kalos are the ultimate reason I still manage to have a soft spot for XY and wish a Z had happened.

If the Trial Captains counted as Gym Leaders they'd easily be on top.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.