[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think that gen 6 and 7 will age poorly. Ten years later and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: maxresdefault.jpg (163KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
163KB, 1280x720px
I think that gen 6 and 7 will age poorly.

Ten years later and people still think highly of games such as Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black and White because they were packed with content and sprite based games looks nice no matter their age.

One can turn on an old game and spend a hundred hours just trying to beat everything.

While XY, ORAS and SM doesn't have any unique content. It gives no drive to just start a new file for the heck of it.

XY and ORAS had an awful difficulty curve, so challenge runs aren't fun on them. SM has an unholy amount of cutscenes, being forced to watch them again after you already know the "story" just kills the replay value.

While you often see the likes of HGSS selling for 70, 80$, I doubt gen 6 and 7 games will retain their value in two or three years.
>>
File: gA437Ab1wF-10.png (26KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
gA437Ab1wF-10.png
26KB, 300x250px
>>
What made the older games special is because they weren't made with schedule on mind.

Pokemon since Gen 5 has become a yearly release.

Who cares about post-game when they can churn out entire generations every year?
>>
>>30164935

I can see Emerald, Platinum, HGSS and B2W2 being held in just as high regard now, but I think SM will be up there depending on how well any other gen VII games are. Love it or hate it, it made some huge changes to the basic Pokemon formula to help keep the series from becoming stale. While I'm not a fan of every change, I think SM are great games and some of the most fun I've had with Pokemon in a few years.

>>30165299
>Pokemon since Gen 5 has become a yearly release.

Since Platinum, actually, though they broke that pattern between ORAS and SM.
>>
>>30165299
Its been for a while.

The problem is that they're rushing all versions for christmas release, while before they'd release the japanese version when it's ready and then the translation, not even caring about holiday season.
>>
>>30165415
>huge changes
It's the same, but less rigid adherence. Still has bad guys chasing legendaries, still has a gym system without the name, continues gimmicky stuff like z moves and alola forms following up on stuff like megas... It's the same shit, different clothes.
>>
>>30165965
>some huge changes
>some

Reading is hard, though.
>>
>>30165299
>Pokemon since Gen 5 has become a yearly release.
BW: 2010
BW2: 2012
XY: 2013
ORAS: 2014
XY: 2016
>>
HGSS is only selling so high because it never got reprinted.
>>
>>30166439
It wouldn't go so high without demand.
>>
>>30164935
Gen 1 and 2 aged like mayonnaise on the sun
>>
>black and white
>Good games
Pick 1
>>
>>30166466
>not knowing how the supply and demand curve works

No doubt HGSS has high demand, but that's irrelevant when the supply was low to begin with.
>>
>>30164935
>xy
>awful difficulty curve
>>
File: Laughing.jpg (46KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing.jpg
46KB, 316x316px
>>30166527
>XY
>Difficult
>>
Black and White is forgotten.
>>
>>30166561
goes to show how memorable it was...
>>
>>30164935
Eh. X/Y will age very poorly, ORAS will age like FR/LG, and SM will probably age like BW.

SM is actually fairly strong as far as being the first installments of a generation goes. Definitely better than D/P or R/S and miles better than fucking X and Y.
>>
File: blastoise.gif (143KB, 69x65px) Image search: [Google]
blastoise.gif
143KB, 69x65px
>>30164935
BW's animated sprites look like fucking shit. to boot, these 3d games are stylized and will not end up looking any 'worse' than they already look to us now.

also of course a game you can purchase digitally will not get that expensive compared to one that is physical only and has limited supply.

they will age the same as any other pokemon game, with some great things people will pine for and some bad things people will remember hating
>>
>>30166681
depends on what you play pokemon for I guess.

If you like playing the story: SM would be a good place to start.
If you like raw gameplay: R/S or B/W might fill that need
If you like old games: R/B, G/S, and R/S are perfect.
and if you like games that are bad yet have some franchise importance: X/Y
>>
>>30166753
The 3D pokemon games already look dated.
>>
File: 1473918601714.png (475KB, 893x732px) Image search: [Google]
1473918601714.png
475KB, 893x732px
>>30164935
>sprite-based games look nice no matter their age

Oh, not this shit again.

Why does everybody say the sprites look better than the nice, clean, cel-shaded 3D pokémon we have now?

They both look great, and will look great decades from now because they chose great aesthetics for both styles. Fucking get over yourselves already.
>>
>>30166815
>Why does everybody say the sprites look better than the nice, clean, cel-shaded 3D pokémon we have now?

Because they already look dated and to make it worse, they have awful FPS drops.

You don't see retro-style games being made in 3D for a reason.
>>
>>30167092
For your first reply, that FPS-dip comes down to how well the built the engine of the game is, or at least if they had the limitations of the system in mind when they made the game. The pokémon themselves look great, at least in battle, which is where it matters most.

But your second answer...

Where the fuck have you been these past 20 years, man?
>>
File: gfs_89548_2_2.jpg (9KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_89548_2_2.jpg
9KB, 240x160px
>>30167092
highpoly 3d models w/ low-end textures that looks great on the system w/ the shading and stylization they went with. how is that dated?

fps drops are bad but do not 'date' the software. you don't say arkham knight is dated when it comes out on pc poorly optimized.
>>
>>30164935
>sprite based games looks nice no matter their age.

There are plenty of ugly ass sprite games and you damn well know it.
>>
File: pokemon-oras-cover.png (2MB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-oras-cover.png
2MB, 1600x1000px
>>30167092
>You don't see retro-style games being made in 3D for a reason.
>>
Gen VI will only go up due to nostalgia of those who played them as children and those who actually liked the games for their merits having a chance to say they like them without constantly having knives at the throat since they won't be in the spotlight anymore

Gen VII will probably go down in a few months when the honeymoon phase ends but stay the same after that
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.