[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk speed creep.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: qqqqqqq.jpg (29KB, 373x521px) Image search: [Google]
qqqqqqq.jpg
29KB, 373x521px
It dominates every aspect of the metagame, and everyone knows it. How can it be fixed? I have some thoughts...

The main problem stems from speed being an all-or-nothing stat. Either you are faster, or you are not, and since moving first is such a huge advantage, simply ignoring it to focus on another stat isn't a viable option most of the time. At the same time, if you are NOT faster, then all that speed investment is completely wasted.

What game freak is trying to do now just looks like a bandaid, if it even works at all. The speed stat itself must change.

My first thought was to take away the "all or nothing" aspect. My next thought was to make pokemon only have a chance to go first, perhaps, if their speed is within a certain range of each other. This should loosen up the metagame considerably, and change the typical EV spread to put you outside a much larger speed threat range, instead of just being 1 point higher. Even if you are not outside the threat range completely, you can increase your chance of going first by pumping a few extra points into speed, tipping odds to your side a bit. Though, I also recognize the dangers of adding YET ANOTHER random element to the game.

Another idea I had was to tie speed to another mechanic. Remembering back to gen1, where speed determined crit rate, where fast mons would crit constantly, and slow mons hardly ever crit at all. Back then, crits interacted differently with stat boosts, ignoring even your own boosts, meaning you couldnt swords dance x 3 and one shot everything every turn, if you were critting constantly. The problem with this today, is that it would necessitate changing how crits or stat boosts worked, all over again.

Or they could just add more moves that benefit slower pokemon, but that just creates another extreme, and the middle ground is still ignored.

What's /vp/'s take on the matter?
>>
Make Trick Room last longer
>>
that's how speed works in every rpg, there's no way to balance it more than they have
>>
Trick Room needs an autosetter and an extender item for one. Terrain teams are already seeing use now thanks to the Tapus

The Alolamons as a whole are so slow they're honestly begging for trick room teammates. Oranguru would've been a good candidate for an autosetter. Maybe give it to some older mons too like Slowking
>>
Add more interaction with slowmons.

If you can actually capitalize off of a wall or bulky pokemon being slower, it would lessen the need to put a shit ton of useless EVs into speed.

Example: a move that boosts attack and defense, but sharply boosts it if the user doesn't go first, or a counter that works for physical and special moves, but only works if the mon is slower than the attacker.
>>
in competitive play no one rolls with a team of glass cannons unless they want to get stomped by any decently built competitive team so I don't see what the problem is

more moves/pokemon are broken than the stats themselves, they also already have plenty more priority moves and even choice scarves for speed
>>
>>30099301
>weakness isnt water
>>
Bump for further discussion.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.