[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do gamefreak hate ice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: 142944.jpg (68KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
142944.jpg
68KB, 1024x768px
Why do gamefreak hates ice so damn much?

They even added fairy which is SE to dragens and immune to it. Now ice is more useless than ever now that more and more fairy moves are available
>>
Ice is the worse type an its always at the end of the game...
>>
>>30089148
Ice is probably one of the best offensive types. It's just balanced by being garbage defensively.
>>
>>30090091
Wat
>>
>>30090091
While this is true, the real problem is that most ice mons are SLOW and DEFENSIVE
>>
>>30090474
What did you not understand?
>>
>>30090091
>one of the best offensive types
>>
>>30090603
A retard I see.
>>
At least they finally created Slush Rush.

Now create Slush Force, and retool Hail into boosting the Defense of Ice-types by 50%.
>>
>>30089148
>Slush Rush
>Aurora Veil
>two new Hail setters
I mean ice types are still generally shit, but this gen gave them some cool toys
>>
>>30090603

SE on dragons, flying, ground and grass

besides grass those are all really good things to be able to hit, there's a reason fucking everyone runs ice beam
>>
>>30089148
This is probably the best gen for ice types m8. That said ice is still shit yes.
>>
>>30089148
*Cough* Weavile *Cough* Exists *Cough*
>>
>>30091232
making one or two new good pokemon doesn't make the type as a whole better. That's like saying ferrothorn fixed grass
>>
>>30089148
Ice is an amazing offensive type, but it's the worst type defensively. The problem is that game freak doesn't understand that good ice types are fast hitting glass cannons, and so they keep making them slow defensive mons.

There's a reason Weavile and the two Kyurem forms are the only ice types ever seen in competitive play.
>>
>>30090957
They should also give hail related ability to pokemon that aren't ice type. It's one of the reason that make hail is the shittiest weather.
>>
>>30091326
Been out of competitive for a long while, do people still use Mamoswine? It's one of my favorite mons.
>>
>>30091461
Mamo ended up UU by the end of Gen 6 but it was like Gengar in OU with how devastating it was. It's still OU viable.
>>
>>30091282
>new
The only reason ice is shit in the metagame is that everyone has a fire and/or fighting that BTFOs any useful ice mon
I wish they buffed Cloyster
>>
>>30091651
Cloyster is already great, calm down there.

The solution is nerfing to not accelerate the meta. GF was on the right track this gen until it turned out UBs were usable/had great stats.

I didn't mind the Tapus but shit like Pheromosa and Xurkitree are too much.
>>
>>30089148
It's nice that they made Slush Rush and gave more Pokemon Snow Warning, but you know what Ice really needs? For Hail to be AT LEAST as competent as the other weather effects. I mean, come on, there's no excuse. Do SOMETHING more with Hail.

and some more powerful abilities would be nice too
>>
>Ice isn't a bad type, every single Ice Type just needs to play the exact same way to be any usable!

Do people not see the problem here
>>
the problem is that way too many non-ice pokemon can learn ice moves

if ice moves were largely restricted to ice pokemon, the fact that the type has massive offensive potential would come into play

the fact that you can just stick ice beam on any old pokemon and call it a day means that the defensive liability of ice pokemon makes them worthless by comarison
>>
Hail boosts Ice attacks by 50% like all the other rain and terrain. Def boosted by 50% for Ice types in Hail.
Lose Rock weakness. Gain Dragon Resistance.

Does this fix Ice?
>>
>>30090603
It is you moron. Being strong against 4 types and weak against 4 is already pretty good on its own, and that not the only thing. Ice has a "unique" super effective coverage. By that I mean that no type shares more than one type that's it super effective against with ice. For example, Ground and Fighting are both SE on rock and steel. But for ice, no other type is SE against Grass AND flying, or Ground AND dragon. You get the idea. This means that Ice coverage is always fantastic to have, as it's quite possibly the least redundant type for coverage.

>>30091837
There is no problem. Steel is viable as a slow defensive type. Ice isn't. And yet gamefreak still think it is. Making more fast offensive ice types wouldn't make it "OMG best type ever", but it would certainly make it better overall.
>>
>>30092023
>There is no problem
If you can only play an entire type of pokemon a certain way, that's a problem
>>
The problem with ice is that it has zero fucking resists outside of itself. It should at the very least resist water, and maybe fairy or ground or some other prominent offensive type as well.
>>
>>30089148
Ice got some significant buffs in Ninetales-A with Aurora Veil and Slush Rush Sandslash. I kid you not, that thing is a dangerous hail sweeper if left unchecked. It has to be seen in action to believe. I'll post some replays if I can find them.
>>
>>30091923
Way too much.
>>
>>30092382
Yeah, I think people are really understating how significant resistances are.

Think about it this way: By choosing to use an Ice Type instead of another type of pokemon with an Ice Type move, you are letting yourself take double damage from every type that type would have resisted (except Ice itself), and that's not even counting the large number of fairly common weaknesses they have.

So for example if you use a Water type pokemon with an Ice attack, you get the single defensive benefit Ice has, resisting Ice, and in addition also take half damage from Water, Rock and Fighting, quarter damage from Fire and Steel, with the only tradeoff being taking double damage from Electric and Grass (Since Water is pretty bullshit defensively and could probably use a nerf)

Why the fuck would you ever use an Ice Type?
>>
>>30092382
Make it resist Dragon. If Dragons are crippled by Ice it stands to reason that just getting close to an Ice Pokemon would freeze em up
>>
>>30092899
>Why the fuck would you ever use an Ice Type?

Zygarde.

Also Aurora Veil Ninetales, that's one of the best support moves in the game.
>>
>>30092899
Water is fine defensively.
>>
>>30093003
>Zygarde
literally put ice beam on any special attacker and you'll do fine desu
>>
File: Winter Dawn 3.jpg (96KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Winter Dawn 3.jpg
96KB, 600x600px
>>30089148
Flying and ground resistance when?
>>
>>30093031
No it won't.
Genesect does less than 40% with Ice Beam.
>>
>>30093320
Use chill drive
>>
>>30093341
scrub detected
>>
>>30093320
Genesect is overrated
>>
File: 0015 - rUHFbjL.jpg (81KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
0015 - rUHFbjL.jpg
81KB, 500x500px
>>30093320
>120 atk/120 spatk
>special attacker

get a real special attacker instead of this mixed sweeper nonsense
>>
>>30093400
Ok name me one non-Ice special attacker with that can safely switch into Zygarde and OHKO it.
>>
articuno and froslass.
>>
>>30093492
hahah lmao wtf
>>
>>30093432
special attacking pheromosa
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.