[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon SM Lag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: jpuff.png (226KB, 750x650px) Image search: [Google]
jpuff.png
226KB, 750x650px
I can't wrap my head around why this game lags so much. It's just so weird to me, they've had all this time to optimize the engine. I've been a game developer a good while now, and I honestly can't think of a good reason this game should lag so bad when in battles.

For one, there's no collision detection. Collision detection of any kind eats up processing speed like I eat authentic Mexican nachos.

Xenoblade 3D has fucking massive environments, lots of objects, and collision detection. From what I understand, the guys at monolith actually rewrote their graphical rendering engine from the ground up to work specifically with the 3DS. That's fucking /sick/, man. That shit is hard work.

Smash 3DS has tons of collisions (for hitboxes, items and geometry detection [especially slopes]), a pretty decent poly count, and many objects at once.

Sure, the models in Pokemon are high poly, but it's legit extremely easy to make poly-count smaller. This can be done by having an existing low poly model stored in the game, or pre loading a generated model based on an algorithm , or even dynamically. Smash on the 3DS and Smash Bros melee both use lower poly character models for different situations, those are stored in the game.

I get that they were future-proofing the models by making the poly count so damn high, but why not have lower poly models on the 3DS? As mentioned previously, it wouldn't be hard to do. Pokemon GO should have been the very first time we saw the models in the form they were created in. (In case you don't know, X/Y models identical to GO models)

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not upset that the game lags. I honestly don't give a fuck, it's a turn based RPG and I keep battle animations off to save time. I'm not complaining, I'm just... Confused...

Hopefully someone out there knows more than I do. Is GF just shitty at coding?
>>
>>29996828
>I've been a game developer a good while now, and I honestly can't think of a good reason this game should lag so bad when in battles.

You must not be a very good game developer.

The models are very high poly. Your example of smash isn't really applicable as physicals is more processor dependent.
>>
>>29996875
Did you read the entire post? I specifically talk about the fact that they could have reduced poly count. I did forget to mention that lowering the poly count wouldn't reduce the quality of the model because of the 3DS's low resolution.

The example of smash is absolutely applicable. It has significantly more processor-intensive functions going on at one time that Pokemon probably ever will. Besides this, smash on 3DS manages to run at a rock solid 60 frames most of the time.
>>
>>29996875
>The models are very high poly
Which is hilarious because they then cel shade the fuck out of them.
>>
>>29997070
>>29997070
A great point, cel shading makes lower poly models look even better.
>>
Bump, I want answers
>>
They could just remove the glowing effect of totem pokemon and would reduce lag significantly.
>>
GF is a pretty shit company overall
>>
File: 1460237766346.jpg (134KB, 490x444px) Image search: [Google]
1460237766346.jpg
134KB, 490x444px
I recorded a potato video for my discord friends yesterday that shows how much Lunala, Solgaleo and A-Exeggutor lag THE FUCK out of the game, on Old 3DS (heard it lags on N3DS as well, but not learly as bad). Switching between simpler mons from my team to compare as they don't lag.

https://puu
.sh/sloZJ/312c4279a1.webm

(fuck 4chan spam detector)

Seriously, how is this remotely excusable? Did they even TEST this game?
>>
>>29996828
Hasn't lagged for me yet. Second island.
>>
>>29999174
Forgot to specify the test was on amie, though the video shows it anyway
>>
I've heard it's because the shadows under a Pokemon are actually a second model being rendered rather than a lighting thing.
>>
>>29997070
Probably the only option to get anything looking decent on the shitty 240p screen.

Seriously will be glad when the 3DS gen ends and a successor actually has a half-passable screen resolution.
>>
Why am I on this garbage website?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.