[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Active narratives that railroad the player and force them to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: sea mauville.png (285KB, 500x458px) Image search: [Google]
sea mauville.png
285KB, 500x458px
Active narratives that railroad the player and force them to watch cutscenes or spoonfeeds them with NPC monologue have no place in Pokémon.

Optional, sometimes hidden, lore as done in the vein of Pokémon Mansion, Ruins of Alph and Sea Mauville are the correct way to tell a story. The player should be free to go where-ever they please and exploration should be rewarded and encouraged.
>>
>>29993855

>JRPG
>Exploration

Pick one
>>
>>29993855
Nah I like my standard RPG story bullshit.
>>
>>29993855
100% agree.
Unfortunately the board is filled with unovabortions that can't appreciate stories unless they are forcibly spoonfed to them.
>>
>>29993855
I would enjoy both an active narrative as well as lots of hidden lore. Why not both?
>>
>>29993913
Play DQ some time
>>
>>29993855
How is SuMo in terms of nonessential exploration, with XY as all-time low and Platinum as all-time high?
>>
>>29993855
Don't most pokemon games have both?
>>
So what happened at Sea Mauville? It was just a station that closed? Why?
>>
>>29993855
Actually there needs to be a balance. Like the old "show don't tell" motto for storytelling. Show people something, and hint to where you could learn more if interested.

Not just shove exposition in your face. But also don't hide lore in some random far spot you may never be told about like your pic
>>
>>29993969
The all time High is HGSS. The only mandatory natural dungeons in that game are Union Cave and Ilex Forest

>>29993855
I don't think the former is an issue, but I definitely prefer the latter. I actually find the story and lore of HGSS and Platinum to be better than BW and BW2 as it felt more natural.

I miss the feeling of coming into a story that was already underway vs a story that feels like it started right as you started the game
>>
>>29994075
>The all time High is HGSS
Lmao, the dungeons are all tiny, and you forgot that whirl islands and slowpoke well are also mandatory. There's fuck all to explore compared to Platinum.
>>
>>29993945
The former takes away control and decision-making from the player.
>>
>>29993855
>should be rewarded and encouraged.

Rewarded with what? Everytime I just get cockblocked.
>Had to wait several years to fully give the Ruins of Alph some backbone with the Arceus plot
>Hey here's this mauville power plant, it has 44 floors! But you can't go there, use your imagination~
>>
>>29993969
>SuMo
Get off this board
>>
ok ?
You still couldn't skip team magma/aqua
>>
>>29993855
>JRPGs shouldn't have a narrative!
>Every RPG needs to do a story like SOULS
No.
>>
>>29994322
Pokemon isn't a game where you have that kind of decision making and it's never been that kind of game.
>>
>>29994075
Too bad dark cave, mt mortar, etc are a whole big nothing.
>>
>>29995936
I'm not talking Mass Effect kind of decision making. Just where you want to go and who you want to talk to next. If you don't want to listen to an NPC, you shouldn't have to. If you want to go left instead of right, you should be allowed to.
>>
>>29994293
They're not that small at all though. At least, definitely not as small as in later games, where many of the dungeouns are one or two rooms. Wellspring Cave coming to mind. Although I still liked there.

I did forget Slowpoke Well

>>29995964
Mt Mortar is great as far as complexity goes.
>>
>>29994378

This, none of this shit has meaningful payoff.
>>
File: 1472429496308.png (151KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
1472429496308.png
151KB, 700x500px
People like you are the reason why Paper Mario now sucks complete ass.
>>
>>29996096
Gen 1 has no narrative. Although you need to do something to unlock something else, it doesn't always have to be in the same order.

You can clear out Silph Co. before going to Fuchsia, or you can go to Fuchsia first. When you do go there, you can choose wether it be by the cycling road or routes 12-15. You can save the battle against Sabrina until after Blaine, stuff like that.

>>29996118
I'm talking about Pokémon specifically. Just because I want Pokémon to have no narrative doesn't mean I want every game to be like that.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.