[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were mega evolutions a failed idea that will never be touched again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: mega mawile.png (244KB, 949x841px) Image search: [Google]
mega mawile.png
244KB, 949x841px
Were mega evolutions a failed idea that will never be touched again?
>>
>>29946438
Megas like Mawile, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Glalie, Kangaskhan, Pinsir, and Lopunny were good, cause it made unusable shitmons actually viable.

Pokemon who were already great but were given megas, like Salamence, Lucario, Garchomp, Blaziken, and Tyrannitar were pretty unnecessary.

And then things like Mega Audino and Camerupt were just wasted potential
>>
It was an interesting concept and I would have liked to see them continue in this gen. Now it's just Z-Attacks which suck in comparison to megas.
>>
File: 1479171037067.png (173KB, 710x545px) Image search: [Google]
1479171037067.png
173KB, 710x545px
>>29946438

I admit I was pretty hype when they got released and some of them are pretty cool.

>>29946535

but like this anon says, they are only cool when they bring shitmons out of obscurity and make them viable, buffing things like lucario or blaziken is retarded.

also giving megas to LEGENDARIES is the most retarded concept GF has ever come to.
>>
I didn't like Megas because they took away from the teambuilding aspect. Kinda made it so one pokemon would have a lot of the spotlight no matter what and every team was forced to have one since it's essentially a legal legendary.
>>
>>29946648
Most legendaries are legal across most formats though. VGC, Smogon, battlespot, none of those ever stopped genies.
>>
Don't think they will get rid of them completely, they balanced them this gen so I guess they're thinkering with them.

Hopefully we get more of them because I actually like megas.
>>
I don't think it's a failed idea, but I think Gamefreak might of realised that Mega Evolution would of taken over the franchise. More and more Mega's would of been added every Gen, and would dominate the game, anime, manga etc
It'd change how the generations growing up with Pokemon at the moment view the entire concept, only Pokemon with a Mega Evolution would feel "complete". It'd be like Super Saiyin forms in DBZ. I dunno, hard to put into words.
>>
>>29946626
>giving megas to LEGENDARIES is the most retarded concept GF has ever come to.

Good thing it's only limited to one, and it's a mythical.
>>
>>29946438
Yes.
>>
>>29946663
Talking more the Mewtwo, Palkia tier of legendaries not the bird/regi tier. Obviously they aren't quite on the same level as them since they lose an item slot and still have lower BST but you get the idea, one guy on each team has an arbitrarily high stat total.
>>
>>29946692
you forgot mewtwo, fug, lati@s
>>
>>29946718
It's not like Kyurem is even as good as, say, Aegislash or the genies.
>>
I love how all the pokedex entries for them are about how they can't function outside of battle and are even a hazard to their own trainers. They should make some new megas next time around, I've warmed up to it. Just lean off the legendaries and pokemon that already have the meta to themselves next time, you know?
>>
>>29946438
Nah, fans love Megas, we'll definitely see more. Definitely more significant than anything gen 4 or 5 added.
>>
If anything, Rotomdex saved Mega Evolution by giving them interesting flavor text
>>
>>29946730
And the primals
>>
>>29946438

It was a great idea with a bad execution.

They had the chance to make trash pokemon usable and balance the competitive game but instead created an even bigger power creep gap by giving megas to already powerful mons.
>>
>>29946690
I wanted to see every pokemon have a mega form that way It would be completely unpredictable If a pokemon was going to go mega.
>>
>>29947306
>muh popular mons

This is why gamefreak are absolute cancer
>>
>>29946535
Garchomp at least was an interesting, if highly flawed, experiment.

I still chuckle at Mega Lucario getting a special snowflake +22 speed just so it wouldn't have have to sit on the soon to be crowded 110 speed tier.
>>
>>29946438
Megas were a successful idea that will never be touched again.
>>
>>29946438
They want the Digimon crowd
>>
File: ss (2016-07-18 at 12.29.59).png (43KB, 138x176px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-07-18 at 12.29.59).png
43KB, 138x176px
Next gen Gamefreak is introducing "Hyper Forms". Any fully-evolved Pokemon with a BST less than 600 has a Hyper Form they can access once they reach level 100, which boosts them up to have a 600 BST, You're only allowed one per team, and it isn't a mid-battle change like megas, it's something you set before battle. There is no visual change aside from them having a glowing aura, similar to totems.
>>
I like Megas but I'll never not be mad they stopped making them before gen 5 got any good ones.
Gen 5 got 1 fucking Mega and it was Audino and to make it worse they didnt even make Audino good.
Hopefully the next game will have some more Megas and Gen 5-7 can get their turn instead of more gen 1 and 3 pandering.
>>
Megas were absolutely brilliant. XY was the true anniversary pair of games because it harkened back to RBY's simpler plot with a more general evil team, gave you a hell of a lot of classic Pokemon instead of cramming the new ones down your throat and then Megas added an interesting twist on team building.

I know some have complained about how Megas are a legal legendary that will always steal the spotlight, and that's a fair point - but I think Gamefreak were looking at it from the other direction, i.e. they looked at VGC and thought "Well everyone already uses either Lucario, Garchomp, Scizor etc. etc, why not make it so they can be even better but you can only use one?" A LOT of people have trouble constructing advanced level competitive teams and Megas help out with that a little bit. Z-Moves are a cool idea in the same vein; I think restricting a powerful mechanic to one per team keeps things fresh.

But inevitably, they're eventually going to have to sort out the heaps of shitmons that continue to be ignored generation after generation.
>>
>>29947306
Not realizing most of the power creep was triggered by shitmons that got megas.
>>
>>29946535
/thread
>>
>>29947696
Why do so many people fail to understand that a company giving attention to popular characters is neither surprising nor a bad thing?
>>
>>29947798
Lol XY plot wasn't simple, it was dogshit and gen 1 plot didn't revolve around some nut job who wanted to destroy humanity for "muh beautiful world". XY are shit, by far the worst first pairs of games, who's only contribution to the series is 3d and maybe character customization.
>>
>>29946535
This, really.
Hope we see more next generation with the idea of making shitmons viable.
>>
>>29947878
Thanks for the opinion piece Anon but we're talking about Mega Evolutions in this thread.
>>
File: 1420744555041.png (55KB, 677x588px) Image search: [Google]
1420744555041.png
55KB, 677x588px
>>29947759
Hyper Shedinja - All into Attack/Speed
>>
Turned them into overdesigned messes and instead of buffing them to be viable, making them overpowered.

Total failure.
>>
>>29947935
>Total failure
That's what your mom said about you.
>>
>>29946438
The only problem with Mega Evolution is that it only works on few specific pokemon. GF should have made a lot of megas, over hundreds.
>>
>>29946589
Z moves are better
>More versatile
>Make shitmons better
>All pokemon get them
>they feel more natural
>Lore about them fits nicely in Pokemon world unlike Megas (WTF Mewtwo stones)
>>
>>29947798
X/Y story wasn't simple, It was just told very fast and bad.
>>
>>29946438
Yes.
>>
>>29949723
Riddle me this: if i have a flying type z-crystal wich pokemon is more likely to use it better, Masquerain or Salamence? Asuming i even bother at all.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.