/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>What went so right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 15

File: IMG_4986.jpg (97KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4986.jpg
97KB, 1920x1080px
>What went so right?
>>
File: 1476498911941.png (78KB, 325x997px) Image search: [Google]
1476498911941.png
78KB, 325x997px
>>
>>29886888
At the time it was the perfect sequel.

Added features, didn't take any away. I wish more pokemon games followed this philosophy.
>>
>>29886888
trips confirm, something went so right
let's see:

>perfect sequel
>perfect last battle
>fixed the problems of gen I
>Amazing sprites
>breeding
>amazing soundtrack
>introduced shinnies
>introduced a ton of useful moves
>introduced In-battle effect items
>day/night system
>comfy as hell

Newgenners don't appreciate because the are already born with the new mechanics, but gen II easily introduced the most useful mechanics of the franchise(aside from the obvious gen I)
>>
File: slowpokewell.png (23KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
slowpokewell.png
23KB, 1920x1200px
>>29886888
It was potentially their last game (and it was Tajiri's last game), so they gave it their all.

I don't think it's the best Pokémon game, just because so many things have been improved in later Gens (including the remake), but goddamn, love and care were put into this game. I either replay the vanilla game, its remake, or a ROMhack of it at least once per year.
>>
>>29887058
>didn't remove features

>changed the type chart
>changes critical hits
>can't get Mew anymore
>can't get several Kanto mons until postgame
nice meme
>>
>>29887836
Very weak try I must say
>>
>>29887836
>changed the type chart
You say it like it is a bad thing

>can't get several Kanto mons until postgame
You can't get several Kanto mons until you get to Kanto? Christ what a shocker.

But anyway that wouldn't be too much bullshit if the new weren't so rare as well
>>
>>29887836
>Changed the type chart
And added types.

>Changed crits
From a completely broken system that allowed Persian.

>Can't get Mew anymore
Fixed a glitch that allowed one to obtain any pokemon or fight any trainer in the game. And I haven't heard anything about lack of ability to trade Mew to Gen 2.

>Can't get several Kanto mons until postgame
Can't get several Kanto mons until you reach Kanto.
>>
>>29887058
They took the Safari zone away tho, and the game was easier than the first one.

I loved Gen 2 a lot, but i feel like is very overrated, being able to travel to Kanto again was nice but it was just to battle more gym leaders since in terms of plot you only had one more battle with your rival at Mt. Moon and thats it, you couldn't capture none of the legendaries of past gen neither you could visit some old areas like Mewtwo's cave, Cinnabar island was destroyed, etc.
>>
>>29886888
Lugia, can't you see?
>>
>>29886888
OK, I'll give this a go

>pants on head retarded level scaling
>uninspired E4 teams/Champion - 3 fucking dragonites?
>a lot of new Pokemon not available until Kanto
>Kanto is literally empty, HG/SS only marginally improved this
>removed a lot of environments, e.g. Cinnabar, Safari Zone, Cerulean Cave

By no means am I saying Gen II is bad or anything close to it, but it wasn't perfect either
>>
File: putin1.jpg (11KB, 236x252px) Image search: [Google]
putin1.jpg
11KB, 236x252px
>almost the whole Kanto was there
>people started cherrypicking on places that weren't
>>
>>29888027
They took the safari zone away because Glitch City / Walk Through Walls glitch
>>
>>29888100
>>pants on head retarded level scaling

I feel like this isn't brought up enough. People complain about how the newer games are easy always really forget Gen 2. The game's E4 is a absolute joke, the gyms are barely higher than your normal trainer battles, and even the post gyms are nothing to really special. I remember soloing the entire game with Typhlosion when I was 9, and even the Kanto gyms were all just a matter of "Walk in, beat, walk out."

It almost made Kanto feel really hollow and dead compared to Johto because the only locales with noting were the gyms, since everything else cool was already taken out.
>>
File: 1464189184093.gif (3MB, 359x202px) Image search: [Google]
1464189184093.gif
3MB, 359x202px
>>29886888
>The generation that introduced the battle tower
Mfw anything else they introduce will never be as good
>>
>>29888178
Kinda. Most of them were quite simplified, for example the Viridian Forest.
>>
>>29888178
>almost the whole Kanto was there
'Almost' is an overestimation at the least
>>
>>29886888
that you could visit the first region and fight all the gyms there. also cooler.
>>
>>29888922
Yeah and that's literally all you do there.
>>
>>29888991
i was fine with that back in the day. visiting kanto alone blow my fucking mind as a kid.
>>
>>29886888
Kanto.
The true first postgame. Before that there was only Mewtwo.
>>
>>29886888
nice trips

Anyway, they made gen 2 with the intention of it being the last Pokemon game, which explains why it's quite different in terms of the Pokemon formula we're all familiar with today. You can definitely tell just by how they included an entire region into the game, and the final boss is yourself from the past. That's franchise-ending packaging.

The thing is, certain people don't realize that not all Pokemon games come off of each other. We'll (hopefully not) never get another region in a Pokemon game, and you know it. Don't use gen 2 as Pokemon's meter stick, use gen 3 or 4
>>
>no handholding
>the least linear game
>memorable soundtrack

I could go on. GSC was perfect.
>>
File: 1477750417201.png (7KB, 384x608px) Image search: [Google]
1477750417201.png
7KB, 384x608px
>>29887010
Being the second installment the series ever had, it was more of a direct sequel in the vein of B2W2 than anything else. It relied a lot on pushing gen 1 Pokemon in order to keep the original playerbase interested (a recurring problem with the series), but I didn't mind it at the time. It made obtaining the gen 2 Pokemon slightly challenging and filling out my Pokedex was a fun postgame. Pokemon Crystal kept my interest longer than most Pokemon games because my friends and I would look up secrets on the internet or in our players' guides and try to catch all of the Johto Pokemon.
>>
File: 1470487547620.jpg (24KB, 348x288px) Image search: [Google]
1470487547620.jpg
24KB, 348x288px
>>29889194

any time someone mentions the GSC sound track I get the Azalea town theme stuck in my head
>>
It was a true sequel. Every game after GSC is shit, save for B2/W2 and HGSS.
>>
>>29888386
Ow easy a game is shouldn't be based on solo runs because all the games are easier as solo runs
>>
>>29889777
trips of truth
>>
File: totodile.jpg (34KB, 201x320px) Image search: [Google]
totodile.jpg
34KB, 201x320px
getting to run train on kanto after you finish johto.
tododile
>>
>>29886888
>>29889777
gen II is blessed by trips
>>
A big thing was that the game didn't shy away from locking you out of things. You get to Dark Cave, can't see shit, can't move any further through it. You get to the Ruins, you can't access a lot of it, tough shit. Same thing with Union Cave, Illex Forrest, etc.

It also gave you tons of team options, both old and new, right at the start of the game. Before even the third city there was like fourty Pokemon to choose from.

The gyms were genuinely challenging (outside the first one), and the rival fights were similarly difficult. The game didn't feed you type advantages right before a big gym or boss fight. Hell, by the rival fight in Azaliea you might only have one or two moves that can hit Ghastly.

Great music, great atmosphere, combined with the above and you have a great game. I play the originals probably once per year, the remakes the same, and even made my own ROM hack to change the very small issues I had with HGSS. That's how much I love that game.
>>
>>29886888
>>29888100
>>29888922
>>29889777
>>29889800
>>29889866
>>29889999
WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD?!?!?
OT: I actually like this gen the least as I remember it the least out of all of them. I see it more as a testament of how great the series is rather than gen 2 being bad or even subpar.
>>
Gen 2 are the best Pokemon games

Original or the remakes

There's so much content to sift through unlike Gen 6 and 7 where Gamefreak became lazy and uninspired

Whoever made Platinum, HGSS and Gen 5 should be their main team in making Pokemon games, everyone else should be fired on the spot
>>
File: americanpsychopokemon.jpg (30KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
americanpsychopokemon.jpg
30KB, 600x400px
>>29886888
>>29889777
>>29889999
Gen II confirmed the best
>>
>>29890112
>off by one
This is what I get for doubting gen 2.
>>
>>29889999
And also quads.
>>
Gen 2 has flaws like any game, but it is the gen that Ive spent the most time playing. It just keeps reeling me in.

I actually own seven Gen2 cartridges that all have working batteries. I play them on my gameboy player or GBA SP, especially on road trips. They're just fun for me.
>>
>>29890316
Owned

>>29890336
Because newfags think its totally BTFO!!!
>>
My favorite Gen with the most post game.
>>
What you guys have to understand is that, for those of us who were there from the beginning of the Red/Blue craze, we spent several years of our lives basically living in the world of Pokemon. We fought in the schoolyards, we traded at sleepovers, we obsessed over everything having to do with the games.

So for a sequel to come out and deliver on all the things that GSC did - More Pokemon! Color graphics! Held items! Day/night cycle and events specific to certain days of the week! - was mind-blowingly awesome. And then, to top it all off, to find out after you've beaten the game that you can actually go back to Kanto and revisit the world that you just spent the last few years living in, to see how it developed and changed, and how all the old faces are doing? That was fucking orgasm-inducing lunacy. Who cared that the gyms were dull? You got to see the world again. No other game that I can think of allowed you to do that so directly in the sequels.

So a big part of what made GSC so great was the combination of a solid nostalgiagasm and improving, in literally every way, a game series that we little kiddos thought could get no better.

>>29887058
One of the things that disappointed me most about Ruby and Sapphire was how much they felt like a step down from GSC - all of a sudden there was no day/night cycle, no days of the week, no moving Pokemon animations at the beginning of combat, no real postgame, and most importantly, a lot of missing Pokemon due to the inability to transfer your old buddies forward to the newer games. I remember feeling like RS were Pokemon 1.5 instead of the Pokemon 3 that they should have been; though most or all of these issues were fixed in later games (thanks based Emerald), GSC were great in retrospect because of exactly how well they improved on the originals, in a way that RS never came close to.
>>
Tajiri's direction and Iwata's coding wizardry
>>
>>29889486
This honestly makes a lot of sense, I never treated Gen II as a B2/W2-esque sequel. I still will never understand why they locked half of their new dark types behind postgame.
>>
File: manlytears.jpg (40KB, 447x599px) Image search: [Google]
manlytears.jpg
40KB, 447x599px
>>29892792
I seconded every word, anon
>>
>>29887792
Potentially the last game? Tell me more...

They really poured their heart and soul into it, no pun intended.
It's my favourite pokemon title.
>>
>>29892792
This captures exactly what made GSC so great for us. I won't even add anything to this.
>>
>>29886888
Lugia I guess
>>
>>29887836
>>can't get Mew anymore
You can get any pokemon you want using the celebi egg glitch
>>
File: 29xxiiw.jpg (155KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
29xxiiw.jpg
155KB, 500x330px
>>29893729
>>
>>29893508
Basically, they didn't know if Pokémon would continue to be a craze, and planned GSC out like they would never make a Pokémon game again. I'm not sure if this was the original intention when it started development, but something that's not really known in the west due to delayed release schedules is GSC was hell to develop for. It had three entire years of dev time, and numerous delays and setbacks. They couldn't even fit what they had in the cart, until Iwata came in to help and created an entirely new compression method for graphics that freed up so much space they could fit the entirety of Kanto in (the reason Kanto isn't complete in GSC isn't cart space but rather time, they didn't want to delay the game for a fourth year to fill it out when fans had already been waiting so long; Yellow was only created in the first place as padding so the franchise wouldn't fade out of the minds of kids, and they had to make an entire filler season with the Orange Islands). By the end of it they had to have been completely drained.

Of course, Pokémon GS did sell fantastically, and we got more sequels. Now GF knows the games will sell no matter what and they deliberately cut features so they can bring them back later as selling points, and give games rushed dev times so they can maximize profits like what happened with ORAS.
>>
>>29889486
>>29892901
I think they wanted to play with this "new pokemon have been discovered" thing. Back in the day, we didn't think there would be more than 150/1 pokemon. So hearing about NEW pokemon blew a lot of people's minds.

I think they made so many new pokemon rare as a way to give them this "new species" feeling. It was definitely exciting when you came across a pokemon that you had nevee seen before, something that doesn't happen in newer games because the new pokemon play a more central role, and you are basically surrounded by them from the beginning.

Of course, I can understand why there are people who don't/didn't like that.
>>
>>29894288
People hate it now, but at the time playing the game and the fisherman telling you that there where a bunch of remoraid on a route and you are like "what the fuck is a remoraid" was an amazing feeling, same with discovering that there's still new pokémon to discover on Kanto like slugma, larvitar, misdreavous and all that.

Sure most gen 2 rare pokémon where pretty bad but it was amazing seeing something weird like wobufett and discovering what it does, I still remember my brother training dunsparce hoping that it would be awesome only to find out its last move was on level 35.
>>
>>29892792

Post is true. I can't stress enough how shitty Ruby and Sapphire felt after the greatness that was GSC. It felt like a MAJOR stepback.
>>
File: 1475531182964.png (97KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1475531182964.png
97KB, 250x251px
nothing, its shit.
>boring region with no memorable towns
>horrid pokemon distribution
>the most boring starters
>nonexistent story
>shit level curve
>barren "postgame"
>spawned redfags
>>
Man, I'm just fucking tired of finding the same old Pokémon in every single Pokémon game... When I started Pokémon Y and the first 5 monsters I found in the wild were Pidgey, Pikachu, Caterpie, Weedle and Metapod, I felt like I was dead inside. Sun and Moon are shaping up to be the same, since it has so few new monsters, much like X/Y.

I want to make a complete unique team, discover their evolutions, make 'new friends, not just play with the same old Pokémon over and over again.

I don't know how many of you do this, but I actually don't like to bring my old Pokémon from previous games, I like to capture new ones, make new teams etc. Gen 5 was a blessing and I'll never have that again, because it's all about nostalgia now...
>>
>>29894782
t. sinnohfetus
>>
>>29894883
I'm an unovabortion but thanks anyways
>>
>>29889194
>>memorable soundtrack
This applies to every other Pokémon game though. Gen 2 was easily the weakest in the music department.
>>
>>29886888
Nothing. GameFreak realizes how much of a mistake Gen 2 was and refuses to even acknowledge it anymore.
>>
>>29892792
I will add my voice to the choir of agreement. However, I will ask would you guys have minded GSC grphics on the Hoenn games in exchange for the two older regions, ability to trade/transfer with older games, and day and night. I think they could have done it.
>>
>>29894883
But Sinnohfoeti like HGSS.
>>
>>29892792
>and most importantly, a lot of missing Pokemon due to the inability to transfer your old buddies forward to the newer games.
I was never a fan of 3rd Gen, but it's definitely important to remember that the GB Link Cable made it impossible to trade to a GBA. Especially since the mechanics behind stat calculations in Gens 1 and 2 were very different from Gen 3.
>>
>>29886888
Compatibility with rby. The ability to use minor exploits in gsc's breeding and tms to then trade back a legal gen1 pokemon with otherwise unobtainable advantages-albeit minor ones.
>>
>>29888922
I literally have that same gameboy and silver.
>>
>>29887836
People didn't even know you could get mew via an actual glitch until 2003. Everything before that was official distributions or rumors.
>>
>>29894782
>no memorable towns
Goldenrod and Ecruteak aside i can agree with this
>>
File: 654218.jpg (117KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
654218.jpg
117KB, 900x1200px
>>29886888
Mommas milk
>>
>>29886888
Lugia. You can see Ho-oh going left
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.