[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Playing stall takes skill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: 1452217869808.png (38KB, 413x451px) Image search: [Google]
1452217869808.png
38KB, 413x451px
>Playing stall takes skill
>>
Prove to me that it doesn't
what's your showdown username, find a stall team
>>
>>29681415
OP don't be a retard and take this bait. This faggot will probably bring 3-4 stallbreakers like Manaphy, Taunt Mew, SpDef Gliscor, etc
>>
>>29681503
Fine, I'll use the stall team
>>
There's basically only two skills in pokemon and those are building a good team and prediction. I'd say having no ability to deal with stall means you're lacking in at least one of those departments
>>
>>29681410
The thing is it does take skill at higher levels of play since you're generally outplaying your opponent's attempts to box you in to their win condition, e.g. doubling when necessary to heal your weakened wall.

Just because it may require less relative skill than other playstyles since you have a wider tool set doesn't mean it doesn't still require skill altogether.
>>
>>29681415
>>29681503
>he's afraid and can't back his claims up
>>
Really stall is the most braindead, flow-charty playstyle going. You have to have some knowledge of the common sets in the meta and you have to have a well-built team (not that hard, like 4 of the 6 members of your team will almost always be the same) but after that you're all set. I wish Smogon would stop bending over backwards to keep this cancerous playstyle in the game by banning almost every threatening wallbreaker.
>>
File: 1477955819850.gif (961KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1477955819850.gif
961KB, 240x180px
>>29681410
>playing pokemon takes skill
>>
>>29684171
It does, whether or not you choose to acknowledge it.
>>
>>29681410
as opposed to what?
you think sweepers take skill or something?
>>
>>29681687
Stall at low-level play is flow-charty, but good players take advantage of the predictability and makes stall (hard stall at least) much harder to play.

In tournaments you'll see much more balance and semi-stall, if anything.

Smogon doesn't just ban stuff, you play on the ladder and qualify to vote and people decide.
>>
File: u wot terrorist.png (2MB, 1440x754px)
u wot terrorist.png
2MB, 1440x754px
>a game that requires skill
>a turn based game

You may pick only one.
>>
File: golbat-color.png (5KB, 222x222px) Image search: [Google]
golbat-color.png
5KB, 222x222px
At least my bro is somewhat usable with stall.
>>
Countering stall tactics takes some skill. It's why you should always have Boomburst on hand.
>>
>>29686026
But in order for boomburst to be effective you need to run a scrappy Exploud on your team
>>
>>29685981
What about chess?
>>
>>29681554
>prediction
>skill
It's basically two people guessing if the other one is double or triple bluffing. You may as well flip a coin most of the time.
>>
>>29686057
Not always, but I don't remember how common Ghost type Sub-stallers are.

I usually just play random doubles. I don't actually know anything about the meta.
That being said, Protect stalling in doubles is interesting.
Feint is actually viable in doubles, but you don't always have Feint in random battles.
>>
>>29686265
M-Sableye is a staple in OU stall teams, that's why it's getting suspect tested
>>
>>29686120
It's playing poker, but you both have your own card decks and are able to alter the order of your cards.
You both draw your hand, and at that point you ether bluff, hit, or fold. the game is fair because both players can rig their decks however they want, and both players have access towards all of the same cards. So it's really whoever figures out the better winning move, or who can bluff that their hand can do more then it really could.
>>
>>29686275
Huh. Reminds me of before ORAS ever came out and people talked about normal Sableye Prankster sets.
>>
>>29686120
I think what people forget is that you can't really play mind games with people over the internet that you can't see.
>>
>>29686327
you can talk to them on showdown though
>>
>>29681410

>spamming muh strongest stab attack takes skill
>>
File: 1333268002264.jpg (17KB, 313x286px) Image search: [Google]
1333268002264.jpg
17KB, 313x286px
>>29681410
>Playing pokemon takes skill
>>
>>29686738
Who actually does that aside from Showderp?
Just idiots, spectators, or ideally, players who have played together before.

Not the same as being in the same room as an opponent.
Chatting with randos is a black hole.
>>
>>29686306
This
>>
>>29686066
>Chess
>Skill
>>
>>29686120
See >>29686306

if competitive pokemon didn't work and it's just as simple as you think of it to be, a lot of people will be complaining, and a scene wouldn't be made out of it in the first place.
>>
>>29686766
>Fellatio takes skill
>>
>>29686872
A hell of a lot more than Pokemon does
>>
>>29686910
A hell of a lot less than Yokai Watch does
>>
File: 1476309140851.jpg (13KB, 192x154px) Image search: [Google]
1476309140851.jpg
13KB, 192x154px
>Playing HO takes skill
>>
>>29686327
You totally can. That's where the bluffing comes from. You make a stupid or nonsensical play and they think they can play linearly against you, and then when you're at a critical moment, you flip the script on them (e.g. make an important double) that they can't recover from. Alternatively, they recognize you as a good player and so you send in things that to your knowledge don't beat the opponent, but they expect it to because of your perceived skill. Like if you send in a bulky Excadrill willingly on a Charizard, they'll assume you're Scarf. It's a matter of moderating your subtlety. I do it all the time -- you make your play dependent on them backing off instead of trying to strike, e.g. the same Excadrill using Stealth Rock instead of clicking Rock Slide, since you don't expect them to stay in.
>>
I don't understand how can anyone enjoy extending a Pokémon battle for longer than 3-5 minutes 'im gonna bulk up my team and watch em opponent mons die slowly lol' Oh you're such a badass Greg.
>>
>>29687320
Some people just do whatever they think will get them the win. If you say it isn't fun, they'll say they're having fun. Others will just agree with you and act critical of themselves and say yeah they're bad people, yet of course it's just a facade since they're still running the team despite being able to point that out. What it comes down to is usually one of two things:
1. They're trying to get somewhere, i.e. ranking-wise or W/L-wise or demonstrate the effectiveness of a new type of stall via its consistent success.
2. They like the feeling of control that stall gives them, something they welcome either from a lack of control in their real life or from sadistic or angry episodes that get vented into a children's monster battling game.
>>
>>29686814
Bet you aren't the most brilliant in chess
>>
Stall is just a symptom of how 99% of people on Showdown are incredibly unoriginal fucks. Everybody runs the same offensive cores too.
>>
>>29688392
You'd think this gets better in lower more obscure tiers, but noooope.

There it gets even more frustrating, cause you know that you might be an early adopter or even an originator of a new strategy, and then suddenly everyone is using it and before you know it your darling vigoroth strategy is banned from PU. ;_;
Being inventive like that only gets so far when other guys are exclusively using the best of the best in every tier
>>
I unironically like stall
>>
>>29688392
>>29690489

Pretty much this. I think the problem people have with things like stall, genies, VoltTurn, Talonflame, Rotom-W, etc. isn't even just that they're great, but you see them fucking everywhere. Who wouldn't hate Garchomp when you literally see the same 2 Garchomp builds from 1000 to 1700 ELO on every second or third team? It just gets old.

Smogonshitters basically blow up whatever the new hot shit is and then everyone dogpiles on it because it's easy to use, anyone can use it, and it gets results. This happens in every game. M-Sab stall is the same thing as chicken-leg grenade mechs in Chromehounds or Stopping Power + M16 in CoD4, the community finds one effective dumb strat and they all dogpile.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.