[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mystery dungeon games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12

Thoughts about mystery dungeon games? I loved them especially explorers of sky
>>
And Grovyle was a badass
>>
Pokemon mystery dungeon blue was my favorite as a kid. First game I ever fully beat.
>>
>>29641952
I loved the first two. Super fun and the story was great.

I tried to play Explorers of Time and was bored out of my mind. I don't know why.
>>
Pretty boring spinoffs. Bring back Rangers.
>>
>>29641952
Amazing series, a little easy but it's more a game that you play for the characters and the story more than the gameplay

Finished blue and explorers of time, sadly i started playing explorers of sky after i beat explorers of time thinking it would be the next game in the series, at that point i didn't knew it was just the third version of explorers of time/darkness.
Now i'm fininshing the last part of PMD gates to infinity, and will take a break before starting Super PMD, so i don't get burn out on the series.
>>
super mystery dungeon was some of the most fun i've had in a video game in years
>>
>>29644668
How's gates? It's the only game in the series I haven't played and I've only heard bad things about it here on /vp/.
>>
File: 1478216736971.jpg (20KB, 239x207px) Image search: [Google]
1478216736971.jpg
20KB, 239x207px
>>29644595
>Roguelike Dungeon Crawler with strategy is boring
>Spin the stylus to win isn't
>>
File: 1471254342006.gif (2MB, 318x248px) Image search: [Google]
1471254342006.gif
2MB, 318x248px
>>29641952
>have to sit through 'lel not the original team skull lol' because of those poorly written plot roadblocks in Sky
>Sky's plot is still so shit because they have to suck all the intelligence out of the scene every time they show up
>Chatot

Sky was fun because of how it plays, not what story it gives. Gates coulda been better if the text was faster. Super was.... Super was special in the vein of 'oh my god please end and be 100%ed you FUCK'. They're OK, just OK.
>>
File: Makoto.png (69KB, 277x345px) Image search: [Google]
Makoto.png
69KB, 277x345px
There's a lot of things I don't exactly like about it. From a gameplay perspective, the only one that wasn't extremely easy and shallow was Super, but even then it's still not difficult and is lacking compared to other dungeon crawlers. The plot for all of them aren't that great, even Sky's was pretty mediocre.
Despite their flaws, I still enjoy the series and keep going back to Super and Rescue Team. Might just be because I like the idea of being a Pokemon that bros it out with a group of other mons
>>
>>29644595
Fuck off, nobody likes you here.
>>
>>29644774
>>29644904
Are people finally realizing Sky's story is shit?
>>
>>29644934
No, it's just salty RT fags
>>
File: Fuck if I know.png (318KB, 668x454px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck if I know.png
318KB, 668x454px
>>29644957
>my face when Red team just bored the hell from me

Then again, I picked Pikachu in that game and apparently that was a mistake. Different strokes for different folks, anons. But for real, Team Skull and Crossbones in Sky pretty much ruined the entire plot. They're the reason I don't like Sky's plot, everyone's fucking blind and hates you for insulting their precious waifus/husbandos.
>>
>>29644957
This anon >>29644904 I thought RT had the worst story and gameplay, honestly. Unlike Super, which I play for being more polished gameplay-wise, I keep playing RT because recruiting everyone is an alright timewaster.
Also don't know what you mean by salty, I still like the series even if there's things I don't like about it.
>>
>>29644934
superfags are still butthurt
>>
i really loved blue rescue team as a kid, but its impossible for me to replay it now

everything is so tedious and repetitive
>>
>Skyfags still trying to incite genwars
>>
>>29645024
>Superfags
>first poster calls the story horrible and wanted it to end the whole way through
>second poster says that Super wasn't hard and still a shallow game
>responding to obvious bait
Fuck off, shitposter. Stop trying to make Sky fans seem even worse.
>>
>>29645034
>as a kid

I need out
>>
>>29645008
Another anon. I liked most of the concepts, but most of the executions could've been better.
The concepts I liked were the idea of being a pokemon in a world without humans, exploring a brand new world, helping others out, defeating bad guys, surviving disasters, fighting legendsbeing betrayed, becoming fugitives, becoming stranded, becoming abducted, facing your "death", having to say goodbye.

For me, my nostalgia stems from the music and the roleplaying of a fish-out-of-water with an ambitious partner with a dream. I replayed RT and EoS a few months ago and enjoyed it, although I do admit replaying RT has made me appreciate the gameplay changes in EoS.

P.S. I heard that GtI had the worst gameplay because of many backwards decisions that were made that not even RT was marred with.
>>
>>29645127
>blue rescue team is 11 years old
Fuck
>>
>>29644702
It feels a little short, i'm 22 hours in and i'm at the last ''chapter'' or event, it's pretty interesting what they did with the story, and the fact that they have 3D models to work with allow them to make some pretty fun scenes, the story is just as good as any Mystery Dungeon, and it has some flaws here and there, but over all it's still a pretty good PMD game.
>>
>>29645191
I feel the same way, the concept of the series is pretty good, it's just that the plot itself always falls flat in one way or another. For Rescue Team, the flaw was that there was almost no overarching plot outside of one segment that was about as short as the Guild expedition in Sky. Sky's was that they didn't really utilize their characters to the fullest, almost everyone felt sterile and bland to me. Overused flashbacks were a different problem, though it did make the plot grating. Super's second half felt like a mishmash of random ideas they wanted to use for other games, and honestly felt very unenjoyable after the promising school segment.

Personally feel like despite all of Gates' gameplay flaws, there were still some good aspects that came out of it. Having L hotkey every move made things far more convenient, and while many people would disagree, nerfing the regular attacks was a good idea since in the previous games the attack is powerful enough to take out enemies with ease, and it still has its old function of being s Sturdy-killer and trap finder. There were also some features that weren't in Super, like mysteriosity, which were pretty interesting.

Also have to agree that the music in the series was great.
>>
I have a question. Are there any comics/fanfictions involving Mystery Dungeon that are good? If so, let me know. Also, could that plot be tweaked, if needed, to become the plot to an actual game? If the story is a different take on an existing one, could it be implemented as an overall superior story to the original canon?
>>
>RT - nostalgiafags
>Sky - patricians
>Gates - contrarians
>Super - plebeians
This is fact.
>>
>>29645365
>RT - Nostalgiafags
>Sky - Nostalgiafags
>Gates - good story shit game
>super - shit story good gmae
>>
>>29645333
>the attack is powerful enough to take out enemies with ease

That only worked in low level dungeons anything with multihits , bosses and the numerous monster houses that you're gonna face in main story dungeons , super dont have any , make you to not depend of that move
>>
>>29645333
I did not like the nerf of the regular attack, since it can be problematic when dealing with a longer dungeon or a dungeon with more boggling foes. I prefered the incentive of using a move on pokemon to get more exp, since I can simply use the regular attack as a finisher or a last resort. Then again, I am a stingy person who would punch the dragon over getting my sword a tiny bit duller, so I tend to end up hoarding resources and treating every single one as a last resort.
>>
>>29645404
>Gen IV, second game
>nostalgiafag
>Super
>good game
>>
>>29645511
t. nostalgiafag

Let it go.
>>
>>29645001
Nah, it's just Chatot being a faggot like always
>>
>>29645477
Super makes up for the nerf by adding a normal Elixir item and making it common, so you can restore the PP of your moves with them. I feel like it's a welcome change, since this means your type coverage and movelist matter more, so you have to decide on picking stronger moves or moves with more PP, and which type of moves you want. Forgot to mention that making ineffective moves deal no damage was also a change I was okay with, because it made players have to use varied moves.

>>29645442
Super does have dungeons where enemies have strong attacks and multihits, and monster houses appear in it too, though a bit less frequently. Regular attacks still deal enough damage to defeat enemies, throughout the game, though they aren't one hit kills, which I'd assume is what you thought I meant.
>>
What happened to /pmdg/?
>>
>>29645635
Sleeping.
>>
Do any hacks that replace the starters exist? Though my autism with the portraits would probably not allow me to continue. Just kinda sick of starters only.
>>
File: best girl.png (132KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
best girl.png
132KB, 400x240px
>>29645694
Action Replay/Sky Editor for Explorers, and NTR RAM editing/save injections for Gates and Super. You can't mod starters in Rescue Team. The custom starter guide for Gates/Super is here:
http://pastebin.com/cpnzZcyv

>>29645635
SM hype meant the threads got killed constantly, and there's not much discussion recently. I love Jigglypuff!
>>
>>29644595
>heavily story focused Pokemon games where everyone is a Pokemon is boring
>>
>>29645404
>Razor Wind Heliolisk
>good game
>>
>>29645815
>Ominous Wind Drifblim
>good game
>>
>>29645835
>an overpowered postgame enemy is as bad as an overpowered earlygame enemy
>>
How do you guys feel about nonpokemon in the series? The final boss of the last twp games being nonpokemon felt weird to me.
>>
>>29646089
>game has an enemy that actually poses a threat instead of dying instantly
>it's exclusive to the post-game
>this is somehow a good thing
>>
>>29646121
I'd have been fine with it if they were two different things. Even if Super did it better, the fact that they're both basically the same sort of hampers the experience.
>>
File: 1454901558374.jpg (106KB, 500x689px) Image search: [Google]
1454901558374.jpg
106KB, 500x689px
Been thinking of picking up Super on the eshop today. Should I do it? I've played them all except for Gates.
>>
>>29646200
Yes
>>
>>29646200
Yeah.
>>
>>29646200
Yes, especially if it's on sale.
>>
>>29645347
I'd say Victory Fire is pretty good at encompassing the feel of the series in the respect that the world is alien and rather uncertain to tread in.

Other comics are fine too, but a lot of them seem to..add in assorted elements that cater to the artists depiction and what you wouldn't normally find in one.

That said, I rarely get around to reading them, so I can't really recall then enough to answer the other two questions. But Victory is pretty good from what I can.
>>
>>29646408
In one of the games *
>>
>>29645769
Wait, how do pokemon have hidden abilities in SMD?
>>
>>29646443
I think hidden abilities were used for certain dungeon enemies. For the most part, they're left in but unused, since you can't normally change your teammates' abilities to HAs and almost all enemies just use their regular abilities.
>>
>>29646456
ok
>>
>/pmdg/ supposedly died from lack of discussion
>daily PMD threads get made with discussion
>>
>>29645769
>>29646987
They did have a discussion and some work on a fan game engine, but we'll never know about its progress now.

Kinda sucks, they had someone making Explorers-styled portraits and another making an engine. A little more and something could've worked.
>>
>>29647454
I never followed it closely, but I'm pretty sure they had/have a discord, so chances are they're still making progress.

Here's hoping.
>>
File: 1467857550838.png (248KB, 402x533px) Image search: [Google]
1467857550838.png
248KB, 402x533px
Urgh, this doesn't emulate well on Citra. I keep forgetting to disable HW renderer right before the boss battle and because it crashes so often and opportunities to save are so far and few in between I've given up on finishing it. Too grindy.
>>
>>29647494
IRC as a matter of fact.
Ask away.
>>
File: Dredd 2.jpg (63KB, 625x350px) Image search: [Google]
Dredd 2.jpg
63KB, 625x350px
>>29645404
I'm laying down the law here

Gameplay: Super>Explorers>Gates
>Rescue
Story: Gates>Explorers>Super>Rescue
>>
>>29646408
I'm up to date on VF. Currently reading Silver Resistance. SR has had praise.
>>
I'm playing Super Mystery Dungeon now that ending man, that was sad but anyway how do I beat Mewtwo? I get the fucker down and he uses revive straight away, and disable doesn't do anything
>>
>>29649795
Ban Seed on Recover.
>>
>>29649818
Is there a dungeon where they're more likely to be found? I can't see any in the Kecleon shops
>>
>>29649856
I don't think there are any dungeons for Ban Seed farming but if you have Plain Seeds you can use Recycle and there's a chance one will become a Ban Seed.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY-xUVGYbp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpjVTmp4t7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfvNpB-NWHA

Which is your favorite PSMD commercial and why is it UK?
>>
After explorers of sky the games suck.
>>
>>29653387
Quit falseflagging
>>
>>29647622
Right then - you folks manage to polish the opening story, make a baseline for the 'City', and successfully complete a few dungeons?
Questions off my head, at least.
>>
>>29653602
It's been like, two weeks.
And most of it not productive to the fangame.
>>
Just bought and finished the newest one, and although the plot suddenly rushed to it's end, dat final battle was probably the hypest i have been in the history of forever. Not only did they somehow make a blob of mean thoughts interesting, but also challenging (unless you're meant to lose a few times, idk what happens if you do, but due to the atmosphere i was stressed af and felt like i had to win at any cost)
>>
>>29644595
>even puts on an onboxious sounding trip
kys my man, cos never have i seen worse bait
>>
>>29645365
>not enjoying them all to at least some extent
>>
>>29649526
Time to kys:
Gameplay: Gates>Super>Explorers=Rescue
Story: Rescue>Explorers>Super>Gates
>>
File: 1454497498557.png (29KB, 262x191px) Image search: [Google]
1454497498557.png
29KB, 262x191px
Threadly reminder that Go For It! Light Adventure Squad is the best game and there's nothing you can do to prove me wrong.
>>
I know this belongs in a cringe thread, but it's still PMD based

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOmQ-foqeg
>>
File: Raivolt identity.jpg (26KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Raivolt identity.jpg
26KB, 500x500px
>>29654327
Light's exclusives are subjectively the cutest
>>
Why are Sky and Super fans at each other's throats recently? Thought PMD fans prided themselves in being better than mainline fans and don't start arguments
>>
>>29654628
Because RT is the better game :^)
>>
>>29654628
Up until Super there was no contesting the "general" opinion. Most agreed that Explorers (at least Sky since literally no one talks about Time/Darkness) was better than Rescue Team, and pretty much everyone agreed that Gates was worse than both. For some reason opinions of Super became very divisive. The game itself has a lot of highs and a lot of lows and how much they damage or redeem the final product depends on the person.

It's also being perpetuated by shitposters.
>>
>>29644595
(You)
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.