[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How were you introduced to Pokemon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 19

>be me, 3 years ago
>Never played Pokemon in my life, and never planned to
>Stupid Pokemon isn't a TRUE RPG, unlike EarthBound
>Mom comes home from work
>"Hey, somebody left this game cartridge on the floor, you can have it"
>It was Pokemon X. Why not, it's free
>Play through
>Holy shit this is so boring Team Flare might as well be a parody of itself, they're so blatant
>Something unknown entices me still, I buy Pokemon Y
>GOTTA
>CATCH
>'EM
>ALL
>Cut to today, I'm running around in a cave in ORAS trying to catch enough Dittos to breed into one with 6IV's
>Earthbound's still better
>>
File: 1477869646474.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1477869646474.png
1MB, 1600x900px
Sorry
Mother3 is better
>>
>>29626908
Yeah but the ending of Mother 3 wouldn't have as much of an impact without EarthBound. Meh, they're both great in my eyes
>>
File: tumblr_lkezxhxZx51qi8e4po1_250.jpg (29KB, 140x180px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lkezxhxZx51qi8e4po1_250.jpg
29KB, 140x180px
>>29626872
Tips and Tricks Magazine's Japan Report. They showed some of the art and explained the gameplay, and slowly became Pokemon Report as the writer became slowly obsessed with the game and pointed out all the cool toys an the card game. Got me hyped enough to beg for Blue (for Meowth and Oddish) and a Gameboy for Christmas, but I watched the anime until then.

>Earthbound's still better
I have tried playing Earthbound a couple times on emus and then the VC, and also picked up Earthbound Zero and tryed that. I just cannot get into the series. It's so slow and boring and the battle system is garbage. I wish I understood what everyone sees in it; I can't find any reasons to like it other than nostalgia.
>>
>>29626947
Earthbound's combat is really just standard JRPG fare.

If you could survive Gen IV you can survive it.
>>
>>29626872
Mum got me Pokemon Silver along with a Gameboy Color as a present.
I've loved Pokemon ever since.
>>
I wached the show before playing the games, always like it but never had the chance to play it since I didnt owned a gameboy/gameboy color, Finally get a gameboy Advance on 2003 and a year after I bought my first pokemon game: Pokemon FireRed, later I played emerald and Chrystal, a couple of years latter I got the chance to play Pokemon Platinum, though it didnt grow on my like previous games, but my love came to life again with pokemon black and eventually pokemon Black 2.
now that I think about it, I have never complete the original pokemon red/blue/yellow
>>
I was given Pokemon Crystal and a Gameboy Color for my birthday shortly after the game launched in the West.

Purchased every mainline game since and love the franchise.
>>
>>29626967
>standard JRPG
Maybe that's why. I've played enough JRPGs in my time that without a hook it just doesn't keep my interest.

>Gen IV
Had enough sidequests to divert me from the slog. I actually liked Voltorb flip, and the Pokewalker was great. Pokeradar was a fantastic timesink when I was on breaks at work.
>>
>>29626947
>I can't find any reasons to like it other than nostalgia.
And there you have it.
>>
I traded my Gameboy copy of Megaman X for his Yellow.
>>
>>29627092
For me, I don't really play Earthbound games for their combat (though M3'she is much more interesting). When I play Earthbound, i play to see WHAT new enemies I'll face. What new wacky characterso will I meet? What exotic location will I travel to? And how will the characters I've met evolve as events play out? All the environments feel so rich and alive, the NPC's feel like real people unlike Pokemon'serebii walking tutorials. Both series have their strengths and flaws in the end, so it all boils down to what you're looking for.
>>
>>29627192
Alot of mispellings and autocorrects, my bad. Please just ignore them, my phone's being weird and I'm sleep-deprived as all hell.
>>
>>29627192
I guess wacky as a hook just doesn't work so well for me. I don't know what I expected going in but I know whatever it was I didn't get it.

Also those fucking trees.
>>
Years ago.
I was like 4 years or so and my stepbrother always played Pokémon Red on his Gameboy so I wanted to have a Gameboy, too. I just always watched him play until I got my GBA with Pokémon Emerald. The third generation has since then been my favourite one. I like all others ,too but I know almost nothing about X and Y
>>
>>29626872
>trying to catch enough Dittos to breed into one with 6IV's

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>29627102
Just like Pokemon!
>>
>>29626872
Big brother had Pokémon Red on the Gameboy, played it when I was around three, I thought it was fun. I asked for Pokémon Gold later and it was the first Pokémon game I owned, and the one that made me stay.
>>
>>29626872
Always been a fan of the anime, ever since I was like 4. And one day I randomly thought 'aren't there games of this?', and that's how I started emulating that shit up at the age of 12. Started with blue, then continued the natural progression of the games even though I probably started playing in like 2006. And then never ever left it since
>>
>>Be RPGfag in era where everyone else played buttstomp platformers and shitty fighting games like mortal kombat
>>No not good fighting games like Street Fighter shitty ones like Mortal Kombat
>>Can only afford a game once or twice a year which re-enforces need for RPGs
>>Tired of Final Fantasy after 7
>>Geez could we get something better than Ice>Fire>Lit> dynamic?
>>Portable game comes out with over 100 trainable monsters
>>Has an attack chart for all monsters where every type works differently against every other type
>>Holy shit
>>There are double types and these all stack
>>Holy shit
>>The 4 move set is promotes strategy and its not spamming the same attack per character endlessly
>>Theres a story but its mostly about perfecting your team and catching all 150 of the monsters
>>One of your first monsters turns into a fucking DRAGON!
>>AND its hard mode because the first 2 bosses counter your type
>.Oh yeah theres an anime thats gonna come on after you watch Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z

Pokemon was basically everything I wanted in the late 90s and im still playing it year in and year out.I missed some time and never played Gen 5/6 but im getting SuMo and I dont rregret it
>>
>>29626872
Give it back Tyrone
>>
File: 432px-MagnetonBaseSet9.jpg (72KB, 432x600px) Image search: [Google]
432px-MagnetonBaseSet9.jpg
72KB, 432x600px
It was sometime in '99 when the franchise was finally reaching Euro shores. I had a vague inkling that something called Pokemon was going to be on TV and it was a big deal, and I was sorta interested but I've never been much of a TV person. One day my elder sister bought me a Base Set TCG booster and that's where it started. I remember the first holo foil card in that booster being Magneton, fucking sweet.
After that I saw some of my friends with Game Boys, and practically every kid watched the anime to some extent, and many got TCG cards or other merch. I wouldn't get my hands on the video games myself until I got a GBA on Xmas 2001.

These TCG cards taught me the English language, lel.
>>
File: 1475526305504.png (228KB, 343x477px) Image search: [Google]
1475526305504.png
228KB, 343x477px
>>29626872
It was so long ago I honestly can't remember. I know I had an older cousin that had Red or Blue and he grew out of pokemon so fast he didn't even know about Gold and Silver. Maybe he originally made me want the games. Or it was the commercials, I dunno.

I do remember pokemon Gold was the first game I've ever own, parents bought it and a GBC for my birthday.
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 160x168px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 160x168px
my mom bought me a Pocket Pikachu for my birthday. in retrospect, this thing was terrible. you had to pay attention to pikachu all the time, and had to give him watts via walking or playing that difficult slot machine game. the common virtual pet wasnt as demanding.

didnt really get into it til i saw the anime, which later lead me to the game so i didnt notice things like why Caterpie v Pidgey is a bad idea or Pikachu zapping Geodude.

i forgot what i was into at the time, just that Super Mario RPG was my first RPG
>>
Got a GBA with some Crash Bandicoot game. It was ok. Traded it for Pokemon Crystal from some dude in a school bathroom.

Got hooked and spent just about every second on it. I remember an entire summer just lazing about, draped over the couch with the sun streaming through the window and warming me up while my bud Poliwhirl was putting fools to sleep.

Great times.

I remember looking up and reading about the duplicate items glitch on Cheat Code Central (or maybe it was Gamefaqs or Super Cheats?) and remember standing up on the dining room chair I was on and laughing with relief (because I read there was a chance it could just fuck everything up since you had to power off the GBA) like a mad man when I duped a Master Ball. I don't even know why I did since I never used them, but I COULD.

I was really late to the Pokemon Party so when I finally realized "Hey...there's MORE of this with MORE Pokemon!" Emerald was already out.
>>
>>29626872
Indeed, I was introduced 3 times

1st one
>be me, 4 years old
>watches Cartoon Network and see Pokémon
>I liked it for having a different animation compared to the other toons
>years later I realized it is called Anime

2nd one
>2008
>a Tazo promotion of Pokémon starts
>promized myself to collect all Pokémon-related Tazos
>I see all those Pokémon I've never seen before (Gen III)
>decided to play Pokémon Ruby, which I always had as a ROM in my PC
>I liked it and became a fan of tge franchise until 2011, where another friend showed to me Ragnarok Online

3rd and last one
>2013
>heard that the very liked BW1 had sequels and at the same time I discovered Smogon, a website that tells you strategies for this confusing franchise
>I ended buying W2 and became my favorite Pokémon game
>after beating Iris, I started to creating a team
>the online battling was way better than RO, as you should prepare your team and have an strategy instead of spamming attacks
>2016, I still liking the franchise but sometimes I play other videogames
>>
>>29626947
Hey, EarthBound Zero is a good game, is just that it has a level curve problem, the developers even admitted that the last dungeon was rushed so it is very unbalanced. For being the only EarthBound with random encounters it is good, but annoying.
>>
>>29626872
>2003
>Be me
>Got sick af
>Got hospitalized
>Dad bought me a GBA so that I can play something while I'm getting better
>Saw some Pokemon commercial
>Dad said he said he saw a pokemon game on the store
>Told him I want one
>He bought it and it's pokemon sapphire
>Beat in 3 days.
>The amount of days that I got well and sent out of the hospital.
>Pokemon is now my favorite game.
I don't know if my typhoid fever is a good thing or no.
>>
>>29626872
>Some neighborhood kid was showing off his Gameboy Color and Pokemon Blue.
>Begged and begged for Gameboy and Pokemon for my birthday.
>Got Pokemon Red and was hooked.
>Was at Blockbuster a few weeks later and realized there was a Pokemon anime.
>>
Right when the fad was beginning in 98, an older kid on the school bus would give me Pokemon cards. I eventually got into the anime and everything else, but I didn't know there were games until right before gen 3.
>>
>>29626872
I saw an article about the Electric Soldier Porygon episode in Contact Kids magazine. It had a picture of Ash, Misty, Brock, Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle along with the article and I knew I wanted to play/watch whatever this was.
>>
File: 1474313681087.jpg (94KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1474313681087.jpg
94KB, 800x600px
>>29626872
>Be 4-year old me
>Early 1999
>Only plays with toys because too sickly to go outside
>Driving around with family one day
>See a garage sale
>Parents decide to go take a look
>Parents find a collection of box sets from the first season of the Pokemon anime
>Parents decide to buy it
>Become obsessed with the show
>End of every VHS has that commerical for Pokemon Red/Blue with the bus driver
>Ask for game
>Parents go out and buy Blue and a GBC that summer
>Become completely obsessed with Pokemon and gaming in general
>Wind up replaying Blue many times
>Still own those VHSs to this day
>>
String cheese...no shitting, string cheese.

My mom took me to the grocery story and we passed the dairy isle, personally I've never liked cheese unless it was on a pizza so I wasn't exactly thrilled that my mother was buying some, but out of the corner of my eye I saw an odd little cartoon butterfly with big red eyes, and I just had to have it.

I can't remember if it was stickers or cards, but the package came with a small collection of pokemon things, and after that BOOM it seemed to explode out of nowhere.

But what strikes me is odd is that the string cheese predated the show airing on N.A. television, the company either knew how successful it was gonna be or jumped the gun on luck.

Long story short, I doubt I actually ate the cheese.
>>
>>29626872
I got a free copy of crystal when I bought a gameboy color when I was 10.
>>
>5 years old
>think animals are the coolest thing ever
>watching tv
>see a commercial for the pokemon anime
>"whoa cool, they're animals with super powers"
>watch it for a long time without knowing there was a video game
>rented Pokemon Stadium after seeing commercials for it
>"this stinks, it's nothing like the show"
>more time passes, watching the tv show
>mom buys me Pokemon Gold for my 7th birthday

Gen 2 is still my favorite
>>
>>29626872
>trying to catch enough Dittos
>to breed into one

hate to break it to you Anon...
Ditto can't breed for Ditto
>>
>>29626872
I was introduced to the cards first. I didn't even know the game was a thing until a field trip where a hand full of kids was playing them on their game boys. Don't think I learned about the cartoon until later.
>>
>Hey, little buddy. Need a ride?
>Pikachu!
>>
>1998
>in Ireland
>watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer
>7 years old
>advertisement for Pokemon
>starting Saturday at 12:30 or something
>"wow, this is my favourite thing now"
That's pretty much it. I was the first kid in my area to know about it.
>>
>>29626872
Saw the first episode of pokemon the day it premiered on upn channel 13, which was also my first day in the first grade. Watched the show religously until digimon came out and I would only watch pokemon if it wasn't on as the same time as digimon.

I wanted the games but my mom didn't want me to become a video game nerd so I was only allowed to play computer games. My dad accidentally downloaded a bunch of gameboy and gameboy color roms and an emulator one day and put it on our computer. It had pokemon blue, red, yellow, and a really crappy translation of silver and gold that had a swearing and 啊 everywhere.

Then later I finally got a gba and got pokemon crystal the day it came out.
>>
File: 1470961712073.jpg (249KB, 690x590px) Image search: [Google]
1470961712073.jpg
249KB, 690x590px
>>29626872
Agreed about EB.

Anyways to answer your question it was 1999 or 2000 when my family was given a n64 with with pokemon stadium from a neighbor and my brother got a copy of yellow. From there I became interested. Eventually I got a gba sp and a copy of sapphire and was hooked from there.
>>29626908
>>29626926
>>29626967
>>29627092
>>29627192
Both games are incredible and have strengths and weaknesses. Instead of recycling thensame cocept M3 was made as a true end to mother and is quite different in tone and style. I feel 2 and 3 compliment each other quite well.
>>
>>29626872
I just came to school one day and everybody around me was suddenly obsessed about it. Some kids tried to teach me how to play the card game but I didn't understand anything. They tried to tell me where I could buy the cards and games but I was a poorfag so that shit wasn't going to happen.

I was feeling left out as shit but then a couple of weeks later, some retard left their Red cartridge on the fucking floor of the classroom and I snatched that shit up in a heartbeat. I didn't even own a gameboy at the time, I just kept it in a little plastic case and stared at Charizard's beautiful mug for months until I finally bought a gameboy with my communion money.

17 years later and that one act of thievery has made me into the turbo pokeautist I am today.
>>
>>29627520
>.Oh yeah theres an anime thats gonna come on after you watch Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z
Mexico?
>>
File: 1471021363689.png (132KB, 1280x1564px) Image search: [Google]
1471021363689.png
132KB, 1280x1564px
>late 2012
>need something new to play
>remember that Pokemon is a thing and I've avoided it all my life
>as a kid I hated the shitty anime whenever it was on tv and it gave me a negative view of the series as a whole
>decide to try out one of the games
>look online for the latest games, Black and White and the sequels
>decide to try out the first ones
>get White from Blockbuster
>get home and it turns out they gave me White 2 instead
>didn't give a shit about the series at the time so I didn't really care
>fell in love with it
>played every gen since then
>none of the other games felt as good as W2 and I feel like I spoiled myself by playing it first
I then came here around March 2013 and I followed the XY hype thoroughly.
>>
> be a kid in australia
> get picked up by my mum somewhere, my older brothers in the car
> hey look anon!
> show me a card of a pidgey
> remember it so clearly, as if this was the first time something interesting had broken into my mundane existence
> started collecting cards, latest craze
> older brother gives me blue
> love that shit
> gold/silver comes out but I don't get it, only my two older brothers do
> they let me play it until they feel like playing, so I always get to play the first twenty minutes without saving
> mum comes home with gold
> judging by my reaction, that shit must have been solid gold
> picked my bro totodile
> gen 2 a best
>>
>Be 6 year old me
>Knew of Pokemon but never really got into it
>One day I'm with mom in some stupid shoe store
>Dying of boredom
>I lean back in the chair and hang my arms between the seats
>I feel something brush my right hand when I do
>I look between the seats and pull out an object
>A motherfucking GBC with Pokemon Blue inside of it
>Some kid before me must have dropped it and forgot it
>Mom actually lets me keep it because 'Finders Keepers'
>jackpot.avi

For the record, the previous save file had gotten to Mt. Moon with a Wartortle. I reset and began playing from the beginning. I've loved the series ever since, though S, G, and C are my favorites
>>
>mexico
>got a gameboy color for my birthday
>flea market
>see a place with a bunch of gameboy cartridges
>dad buys me mega man IV and pokemon gold
>play mega man for months until i finally beat it
>try pokemon
>hard to understand because at the time i didn't know how to read english
>never completed it but i got to see aipom the cooles pokemon ever made
>skip gen 3 because gameboy advance is too expensive
>years later i got a ds and pokemon diamond for christmas
>infernape is almost as cool as aipom, and ambipom is an absolute madman
>Years later heart gold came out and i finally got all my johto pokemons back

i really hope we get gen 4 remakes, only because i want to see them add a mega evolution for the starters or ambipom
>>
>>29626872
>catch enough Dittos to breed into one with 6IV's
Kalosperm, everyone, can't even into pokeman
>>
> Dad told me he had business in Japan. We own a small company there. I was 6. Begged for him not to go cuz I was a daddy's boy and eventually he took me with him. For three weeks I had to stay with his friend's wife and kid, a pudgy japanese bully. Eventually he gave me his copy of Red so the bully was okay.
>>
>>29626872
Went into my parent's room to grab something and for whatever reason the television was airing the episode where he caught a caterpie for the first time and I was mesmerized. Got Red not long after.

I have no opinion on Earthbound.
>>
File: 1471559497514.jpg (711KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1471559497514.jpg
711KB, 1200x1200px
>Gen 5
>In college
>Hear about one friend that bought a new game called "Pokemoon White"
>Don't know jackshit
>Turns out he has 3 DS systems
>Gives me pokemon black and explains shit
>The painful years of college became less painful due to my friend
We are still friends and still playing pokemon.I'm getting Moon,He's getting Sun.
>>
>>29626872
I was born in January '96.
My dad got Blue for himself and I got hooked by the show.
It's been a blissful 20 years for the most part
>>
>>29626872
I had seen the games referenced a bit in EGM, but then about a month or so before the game's launch, I received a red VHS tape from Nintendo. The tape showed off some footage of the game, the anime, and various other merchandise and fully indoctrinated me into their new Pokemon franchise.

I remember convincing my mom to pick me up from school one day, so we could stop by Funcoland on the way home and pre-order it. I remember counting down the days for the game to come out and setting up the VCR to tape the anime every morning since it came on right as I had to leave to walk down the street to the bus stop.
>>
File: hhh.gif (101KB, 460x405px) Image search: [Google]
hhh.gif
101KB, 460x405px
Do you guys know that thing called Scratch? It's basically a kids' program that's supposed to teach them logical thinking. You can make simple games and stuff in it. Some of you might've had it in elementary school, but I did only at home.
When I was like 9 or 10, I used it a lot. There was basically this whole community of autists/kids/autistic kids and many of them made a lot of Nintendo projects. Especially Pokemon. I did know about Pokemon before, but only had a few toys and seen like one early anime episode when I was... 5? So I thought, "hey, if this thing is so cool, maybe I should check it out?". And so I did.
Aaaaand so I became obsessed with the franchise like with none other before or after.
First the anime, then the games (gens I-III), then replay the games, then finally figure out how to emulate Diamond... And so my childhood went.
Unfortunately I didn't have any friends who were interested in it (except one kid in school who watched a bit of the anime but wasn't autistic enough to keep a conversation with him about it), so I was just pissing off my cousins with talking about it.
Good times.
I had many problems accepting gen V and VI in my middle school days, because "gen IV felt like the final one". Fortunately that's not the case anymore.
>>
>>29626872
>5
>relative works at a papa johns
>one of his coworkers gives him Red
>he gives it to me
>>
>>29627520
>One of your first monsters turns into a fucking DRAGON!
fire/flying :^)
>>
>>29627443
Exactly that. There's a mirage cave in ORAS where you can catch dittos, and I'm using the dexnav.
>>
>>29629119
I also agree, but there's also the problem of tech limitations, leading to same-y graphics making you get lost easily, and that they didn't have as much room in the cartridge for much text, making the story kinda bare-bones, sadly. if they remade it, I'm sure I might even like it more than Mother 2.
>>
>>29634310
But you can't breed Ditto and get a Ditto?
>>
>>29627312
Fuck those trees dude.
>>
>Already took part in the virtual pet craze
>Read about how a game called Pocket Monsters has been basically been keeping Nintendo out of the doghouse during the N64 days
>Keep reading about Pocket Monsters
>Sister gets some kind of school newspaper talking about the Pikachu-Porygon incident in Japan. Shows a shot of Ash and Pikachu (forget if it was from the episode but it was at night)
>Keep hearing about Pocket Monsters stuff
>Somehow the infamy made it the PERFECT opportunity to market to the States
>Keep seeing a bunch of material for the different types of monsters popping up in magazines
>Watching TV over the summer because Sailor Moon reruns and shit.
>"GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL! GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!"
>Oh shit!
>Get hyped up not because it's Pokemon but an anime of a Nintendo property
>Remember the air date. Wanna be sure not to miss it.
>Labor day weekend
>Start playing in the park with my sister for a bit
>Check the time
>"Oh shit!"
>Start rushing back to the house
>10 minutes late
>First battle I saw in the anime was Raticate vs. Starmie, then later Butterfree vs. Raticate
>Used to think nothing could top the St. Anne episode back then
>Emulate GB games to see what they're like.
>Got up to Celadon City on Blue then quit
>Christmas Day
>Get a GBC and Red.
The rest is history.
>>
>>29634522
Then how else am I supposed to get one
>>
>>29626872
>be 7 year old kid living in the suburbs of Richmond, VA in 1999AD
>maybe I had already heard a trickle of news about the games/show, but did I'm not really sure. Did not own a Gameboy nor care to, but I must have seen people playing the games around school before I got them myself.
>my older sis begs dad to take us to buy Pokemon cards one night
>he takes me, older sis and younger bro to the mall. Buys each of us a starter deck and a few packs
>I immediatley fell in love with Charizard, who was on the cover of 1/3 of all Base set packs. I picked out those because I thought I would have higher odds of pulling him, but I never did.
>My birthday was that October, bought Yellow version and a lime green GBC which I still possess.
>Went to see the First Movie later that year.

I kinda skipped out on GS, but I did get Crystal version and Stadium 2. The hype around early Pokemon was unreal. I just remember literally never knowing what would come next, mostly because I was a dumb kid who didn't know how to use the internet. But the possibilities were endless. I was always more into collecting the cards than playing the games at that stage, whereas now I only play the games. Probably a pretty typical experience.
>>
File: crystal_sprites.png (1MB, 1109x721px) Image search: [Google]
crystal_sprites.png
1MB, 1109x721px
>>29634683
Kinda sad how they've really taken the "monsters" aspect out of it. They used to be viscious as fuck in all their spritework, but now they look kind of generic and dopey. Gen V managed to capture that look a little bit, but Crystal version still has my favorite sprites in the entire franchise. Gens 3 and 4 were just a horrible downgrade.
>>
File: IMG_5029.jpg (98KB, 1023x597px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5029.jpg
98KB, 1023x597px
>be me, like 9
>summer break
>spend it with cousins
>one of them brings his ds lite and a copy of emerald
>he restarted the previous file to play over the summer
>one day we're chillin, playing some ps2
>"Hey anon do you play pokemon?"
>say no, always thought of it as a thing only nerds are into (dat irony)
>"You should try it, it's fun"
>tells me the all the basics like training, battling gym leaders, etc.
>ff later that day
>we're going to a water park
>on the way my cousin asks if I wanna play cause he got bored
>decide fuck it, play
>his team so far is torchic, wingull, and poochyena
>train them all in the grass before rusturf tunnel
>having fun
>after some time, get this message after the 100th dead tailow
>"What? Torchic is evolving!"
>wtfisgoingon.jpg
>"Your Torchic evolved to Combusken!"
>holy fuck
>hyped, run to take on the gym leader
>wipe the floor with everyone in the building
>battle Roxanne, rape her with newly learned double kick
>get my first gym badge
And from then on, pokemon has been a big part of my life. I know it's gay but yeah, pokemon is one of the very few things that's made me happy. Never expected it to be this important to me.
>>
File: 1404926388850.gif (71KB, 553x549px) Image search: [Google]
1404926388850.gif
71KB, 553x549px
>>29635206
Funny thing, I really had a loose sense of what Pokemon were supposed to be from day 1.

So I never got the whole "No True Scotsman" aspect that old guard fans had. If anything I was MORE put off by how crude the Game Boy sprites were compared to the artwork much less creature design in general.
>>
>>29633371
>accepting Gen V and Gen VI in my middle school days
>my middle school days
M O D S
O
D
S
>>
>be me
>2000/2001?
>only 3 or 4 years old at best
>older brother shows me Pokémon silver
>once I figure out you can collect creatures, immediately become hooked

He never played another Pokémon game, but I have played every single one since then
>>
>>29636228
>5-6 years + 13-14years old

No, anon. The child might be legal.
>>
>>29637133
i mentioned why i like it in a later post, just scroll down
>>
>>29634932
You catch them till you find enough to cover a full perfect IV set, then work from there.

Getting a perfect IV ditto isn't possible by regular means.
>>
>>29637246
so just breed the Pokemon I want with multiple Dittos?
>>
>It's 1998
>See the Pokemon episode with Ditto on FOX KIDS on an early Saturday morning.
>Totally enthralled.
>Friends gushing about it.
>Eventually get the game for myself and remain a puppet ever sense.
>>
>>29637346
Basically.
Raise each child with its missing IV set. It won't always work, but there's items to help carry on the stats you want.
>>
>>29637377
Alright, i guess that'll work. just extra steps, is all
>>
>>29637377
And by raise, I mean breed.
>>
>me born in 1995
>pokemon comes out in 1996
>older siblings got into pokemon
>since my earliest memories ive loved pokemon
>grew up sharing yellow version with my brother
>finally get my own silver version but too young to figure the game out. train feraligatr to 100
>ruby comes out and im finally old enough to really appreciate the game
>train walrein to 100 my fucking bro (it was a female and i was pissed because i still wanted him to be my bro but i trainer her anyway)
>after beating the elite 4 emerald comes out
>start all over again build a balanced team for the first time

thats how i learned how to play pokemon
>>
In around 2000 i was looking for a gbc to replace my old DMG gameboy for which Id build a nice library but the display was beginnino to fail. I found an indigo gbc that came with pokemon blue as well as a shifty buzz lightyear game for like $20 and bought it. My only exposure at this point to Pokemon was the anime and I thought digimon was a much better series. However I decides to give the games a chance and was surprised they weren't shitty kid fodder and went on to find red and gold for $3 at another yard sale about a year later and was hooked.
>>
>>29635206
>weird blur out the ass
>Chikorita sprite is some shitty recolor
who the fuck made this image
>>
>>29638521
>Chikorita sprite is some shitty recolor
I think it's the colors it's had sense gen 4. As for why, I haven't the slightest.
>>
>>29626872
>dislikes a series in the same universe as their favorite series
>>
File: photo.jpg (93KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
93KB, 900x900px
>>29639783
>B U T T H A T ' S J U S T A T H E O R Y
>>
File: 1451163447023.jpg (225KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1451163447023.jpg
225KB, 1200x1200px
>>29629071
Holy fuck I miss Tazos.
>>
>>29639896
Fucking ness sans flashback
>>
>>29637133
It's made by a Japanese man born in the 50s that waxes nostalgic about the Beatles and tries to capture a sense of Americana sprinkled with Japanese sensibilities.
>>
>>29626872
The episode where Pikachu chokes on a apple.
Then my brother got me Red for Christmas.
>>
>>29637133
It's completely fucking nuts
>>
>>29626872
Saw the animated series, eventually got Blue on Christmas 1999.
>>
>>29626872
>Be me, a simple chillun in 1999
>Pokemon RB became a phenomenon, so I'd only heard about it for a few months
>Friends had Game Boys and Pokemon
>Receive Game Boy and Pokemon on Easter
>Enjoy game as a stupid kid would
>Somehow hear about shit like Old Man Glitch/Missingno
>Only get more into Pokemon with Blue and Yellow
>Gold, Silver, Crystal come out
>Somehow EVEN BETTER
>Stop watching anime past Johto
>Somehow keep interest in games for nearly 20 years
>>
>>29640593
>>Stop watching anime past Johto
>>Somehow keep interest in games for nearly 20 years
Are you me?
>>
>>29626872
It's a fuzzy memory, but I remember two distinct events

The first was that this kid I used to hang out with over 16 years ago (I'm 21) showed me an episode of the anime one day, saying "omg you've never heard of pokemon" or something. The episode featured a nidoking, and I remember loving the design and being hooked, though the fog of my memory is probably getting in the way.

I'm sure it was a slower burn than I remember, but I remember getting red version not too long after.
>>
File: chainsaw_mika.jpg (47KB, 511x381px) Image search: [Google]
chainsaw_mika.jpg
47KB, 511x381px
>>29640593
>Johto got boring
>Look at Hoenn time to time but couldn't care less
>Feel bad because Japanese intros are always so good even though the show is kind of "meh"
>Watch some battles in Sinnoh
>Actually get invested even if dubbed
>Don't mind the direction the series has taken sense
>Only make it my business to watch or read about major battles, don't give a piss about anything else
>>
sorry that ur childhood sucked
>>
my lesbian aunt gave me her pokemon blue, kept up since then every gen.. and now I'm gay like my aunt
>>
>be me
>be six or something
>older sister got Pokémon of ruby
>fast forward to Christmas if that year
>get a game boy and Pokémon oh sapphire
>and thus started a legacy
>since then we both still play every game and have wifi battles almost daily
>>
>elementary school kid
>getting ready to go home
>overhear some boys talking excitedly about watching 'Pokémon'
>don't know what that is, so I go over and ask them
>"You've never heard of Pokémon?! It comes on Kids WB at 4:30! It's such a cool show with monsters and fighting!"
>sounds cool, go home, wait until 4:30 to watch
>the episode is The Problem with Paras
>watching, have no idea what's going on but love every minute of it
>been a fan ever since
My two best friends had Gameboys and Red/Blue and I was so jealous since my family couldn't afford one for me. But I got a purple see through Gameboy Color and Yellow version eventually.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.