[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Still going strong. Who /patternfag/ here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 10

File: original.jpg (197KB, 1024x1044px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
197KB, 1024x1044px
Still going strong.

Who /patternfag/ here?
>>
>>29545347
Popplio3 is really fucking stretching it.
>>
In some cultures sirens use their song to lure ships to their death. song is her weapon anon.
>>
>>29545347
Just stop
>>
>>29545406
Was about to say that.
>>
poppmaid is used for tactical explosions so it fits
>>
>>29545387
>popplio3
haven't you seen the latest trailer?.
>>
>>29545460
I only really know Decidueye's name.

I don't remember what Litten3 and Popplio3 are called.
>>
Those patterns aren't true at all. Especially the prehistoric ones. The only ones I see holding any water are the water and weapons.
>>
>>29545347
lol you can't be that stupid
>>
>>29545347
>feraligator doesn't have any weapons
>"unarmed counts as a weapon too! Even if he doesn't have anything resembling knuckledusters!"
This is the biggest fucking stretch I have ever seen.
>>
>>29545347
Blah.
>Water
Feraligatr, Swampert and Primarina are stretching it.
>Grass
Every kind of animal once existed in the past. It's as valid as saying that they're based on reptiles.
>Fire
Not even gonna bother arguing this one. I've had too much of it already.
>>
There's no Fox in the Chinese Zodiac
Nice stretch op
>>
>>29545347
Typhlosion is not a mouse
>But Cyndaquil is!
Only sort of, also if were going with that logic then Charmander is not a dragon

Delphox is not a dog. Foxes are not dogs. Foxes are not on the zodiac.
>But m-muh canidae
No, dogs and foxes are very distinct. Especially in Chinese folklore, they are portrayed and treated extremely differently

Feraligatr does not use knuckle dusters and nothing on his design resembles them.

Swampert's fins being steel fans in a huge stretch, and unlike Blastoise's cannons Swampert is not defined by his fins and isn't generally show using them as steel fan style weapons.

Poppmaid...I don't even. Absurd.

Grass one is pretty weak too.
>>
File: mouses aren't rats.png (60KB, 404x673px) Image search: [Google]
mouses aren't rats.png
60KB, 404x673px
>>29545898
>Cyndaquil only sort of a mouse

Go read your pokedex
>>
>>29545347
I don't like the way that owl looks at me
>>
>>29545347
This is a reach to Pluto and back but you'll still stubbornly believe this, so you do you
>>
It was always a stretched theory, but man you guys are getting desperate
>>
>>29545932
True, but it's appearance is not that of a mouse. It is largely based on an echidna with elements of a shrew and evolves into a stoat and then a honey badger. Its western name incorporates quills, something mice do not have and its Japanese name incorporates porcupine which again is not a mouse.

It doesn't look like a mouse, it doesn't evolve into a mouse, it doesn't have the characteristics of a mouse and it is named after things that are not mice in both English and Japanese.

But yes its Pokedex category is for some reason "Fire Mouse", I can't deny that no matter how little sense it makes.
>>
>>29546032
It was a mistranslation by the braindead localization team because hedgehog means something along the lines of "spiny mouse: in japanese.
>>
Some of these I can sort of understand, but really, Decidueye and Serperior being prehistoric animals? Delphox being a dog? Fucking Primarina a club?
>>
>>29545347
if that's the case then why isn't all of the grass starters part Ghost type?
>>
>>29545347
the water starter theme makes more sense as "aquatic animals that aren't fishes"

so a turtle, alligator, whatever the fuck swampert is (frog? toad? idk), penguin, otter, frog, and seal
>>
>>29546210
Congrats, you re a retard.
>>
>>29545491
Incineroar and Primarina.
>>
>>29546189
Seal clubbing kek
>>
>>29545932
>>29546032
>>29546171
>reminder that pikachu is an electric mouse pokemon
>>
File: UTAWAHEIKI.jpg (145KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
UTAWAHEIKI.jpg
145KB, 1280x720px
>>29545347
Singing is a weapon too, didn't Macross teach you anything?
>>
>>29546367
Your point being?
>>
>>29546189
The grass starters' order is what's important. These animals all surfaced in different time periods. Venusaur first, Decidueye last. The next grass starter will have to be from the late Pleistocene.
>>
>>29546189
Decidueye is a stilt owl, and foxes are part of the dog family, but yeah the Serperior and Primarina ones don't make a lot of sense
>>
>>29546402
The word for mouse in Japan is not the same as in the US or in most countries. A shrew, a pangolin, an echidna are all considered to be mice.
>>
but decidueye is the one with the weapon...
>>
>>29546434
Serpents came around in the late Cretaceous, after the Ankylosaurs. What's important too, is the order, not just that they are all extinct.
>>
>>29546436
That's not the case because Cyndaquil's Japanese name is a portmanteau of Fire and Porcupine, which ends up as a play on words for Storm of Fire.
>>
>>29546436
Looks like they're mice then.
>>
>>29546469
Your point being...?
>>
>>29545347
>feraligatr is a strech
the pattern started with gen 3, of course gen 2 is a strech.
>the fox is no dog
wrong in the zodiacs foxes are allowed as dogs
>everything is a strech
denial
>>
>>29546495
What I just said. My point is that they follow an order. Venusaur is late Permian, Meganium is Triassic, Sceptile is late Triassic and Jurassic, Torterra is Cretaceous, Serperior is late Cretaceous, Chesnaught is Miocene. Stilt owls were a relatively young species when they went extinct which happened because of humans.
>>29546481
The category is the Fire Mouse Pokemon. The spiky fire gives the illusion of a porcupine but other than that, it is an echidna.
>>
File: 1477698383804.jpg (37KB, 511x428px) Image search: [Google]
1477698383804.jpg
37KB, 511x428px
>>29545494
>holding any water
>>
>>29545347
Fire is acceptable, Grass is kinda a stretch since every animal has a prehistoric counterpart and Water makes more sense as both terrestrial and aquatic animals.
>>
>>29546677
but the owl it is based on (the one from hawaii) is in fact prehistoric
>>
>>29546725
No it's not. It's just extinct.
>>
>>29546634
k
>>
>>29546776
blame my german mother tongue for that. thats what i mean.
>>
>>29545347
Spic memes again?
return to /ñ/ and stay there
>>
>>29546675
Too bad that's not an actual expression. It's just made up for the sake of being a pun
>>
>>29546725
There are wild owls living on Hawaii right now in this very moment.
>>
>>29546214
Axoatl. It's an amphibious salamander like thing.
>>
>>29545647
That's a dog fuckface.
>>
File: mudskipper-05a22018[1].jpg (96KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
mudskipper-05a22018[1].jpg
96KB, 600x480px
>>29546214
>>29546852
I know its going to shitstorm, but swampert is more a mudskipper than an axolotl.
inb4 external gills, yes I know you have a point.
>>
>>29545347
It's kind of hard to deny the Zodiac pattern anymore. I told myself that if the gen 7 fire starter was uncontroversial a zodiac animal, I'd buy into it.

But the grass and water starters? Lol, no. There is no obvious pattern.

I will say, with the water starters, 4/7 appear to have special weapons (Blastoise= a gun, Samurott: it's shell sword thing, Greninja= it water shurikens, Primarina= those water bubble pearl things).

I don't think for a second there's a pattern with the grass starters, other than they were reptilian up until Chesnaught. Sceptile is a lizard not a dinosaur, Torterra is a tortoise not an Ankylosaur, snakes still exist, there's no way in hell GF took inspiration from an obscure owl fossil when owls already exist.
>>
File: 89786756.jpg (48KB, 495x369px) Image search: [Google]
89786756.jpg
48KB, 495x369px
>>29545347
>Pattern is broken before there's even a chance for a pattern to form at the 2nd generation
>"I-it's called 'Fire MOUSE' in the dex, it totally counts! A-and by extension that means Typhlosion is a rat!"
>>
File: 1421386423772.png (10KB, 598x450px) Image search: [Google]
1421386423772.png
10KB, 598x450px
>>29545347
>TORterra
>Clearly based on Tortoises/Turtles
>Also draws from the World Turtle myth
>"It's an Ankylosaur because of the spikes on it's head!"
>>
>>29547032
My theory is that GF didn't really come up with the pattern until gen 3 or 4, and they just went with keeping Cyndaquil's line
>>
>>29547032
>I-if I write the opposing viewpoint as a stuttering insecure idiot that will totally demolish their point, r-right?
Five out of seven are correct and two can be interpreted as "close enough". It's not entirely baseless. Now water and weapons, that's actually pretty stupid.
>>
>>29547010
>Sceptile is a lizard not a dinosaur
Sceptile is very reminiscent of Dilophosaurs. There is no rule that says Pokemon can only have one base. Swampert is mudskipper and a salamander. So it's based on a fish and an amphibian.
>Torterra is a tortoise not an Ankylosaur
It is very clearly both and mainly an Ankylosaurus. Here is the pattern. >>29546634 This is why Serperior fits.
>>29547111
>Pokemon must have every word in its name that it was based on.
>>
>>29545347
I don't think you know what "prehistoric" means. For example, the stilt owl is not prehistoric. It's just extinct.
>>
guys, GF had no idea their games would spawn new gens after 1 and 2.
of course the pattern starts with gen 3.
do your homework.
>>
To every zodiac deniers: Are you confident that the next starter will not be based on an animal from the Chinese zodiac? If you say no, you admit that it has some reasonable grounding. If you say yes and you are wrong, will you say stick with it next time too? Or the time after that?
>>
File: tumblr_nc1g4d7fww1spmwbxo1_500.jpg (77KB, 420x259px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nc1g4d7fww1spmwbxo1_500.jpg
77KB, 420x259px
>>29547111
Pic is wrong. Torterra is based on this toitle
>>
>>29545347
This is retarded. Typhlosion is a badger. Feraligator brass knuckles ? Almost all of the water ones make no sense
>>
>>29547288
Almost?.

Such as Blastoise, Empoleon, Samurrot and Greninja?
>>
just wait for the fire snek - bipedal
>>
>>29547288
it is not allways about the final evolutions.
also read the thread befor posting
>>
>>29547382
>fire poison snek
I want this.
>>
>>29547427
>Not a fire/metal rattlesnake with a revolver in its tail
>>
>>29547497
>metal
Sound type confirmed
>>
>>29545347
>Forcing le epic prehistoric grass starter meme

No-reptile grass starters aint grass starters.
Pokemon died the moment Chesnig, Queerdallin and Chescunt were created.

As expected, the following grass starter wasn't not shit at all either.
>>
>>29547010
Lizards can't have those type of legs
In fact among reptiles they are exclusive to dinosaurs.
And Grovyle having feather leaves growing from its fingers and replacing its tail
>>
>>29547567
Dinosaurs are as reptiles as you and I.
>>
>>29547188
>It is very clearly both and mainly an Ankylosaurus

>Two spikes on the side of its head
>No spikes along the side of its body
>Has a shell on it's back instead of scales
>Does not have the long clubbed tail of an ankylosaur

>>29547283
This makes a lot more sense than some vaguely similar dinosaur, but it still runs into the same issue as the next three Grass starters. While there are extinct animals that they resemble, there are modern day animals that they could have instead been inspired by.
>>
>>29547188
>very reminiscent of Dilophosaurs
Not really? Sceptile's eye crests are based on the Leaf tailed gecko's, considering that's what the entire line is based on.

>mainly an Ankylosaurus
Reaching ass patternfags. Next to the armor, the most iconic thing about Ankylosaurs are its clubbed tail- which Torterra doesn't fucking have. It's very clearly just a badass Tortoise.
>>
>>29547597
Ankylosaurus has a club tail, ankylosaurs in general do not.
Ankylosaur>Ankylosaurus
I'm not that guy but I think the point gamefreak isnt above putting features from a similar looking animal onto a turtle, so it has a slight coincidental ankylosaur influence

Same with sceptile, nowadays bipedal reptiles are almost always based on dinosaurs and dragons, look at how Septile holds its arms out, that's totally dinosaur inspired.

Pokemon origins are not strict and final
>>
>>29547591
Neither cyanids nor birds are dinosaurs.
Especially owls, which are so far away from the chicken dinosaur meme family it's fucking stupid.
>>
>Badger pokemon
>Represents a rodent somehow
this is retarded
>>
>>29547658
Too bad most ankylosaurs lack a clubbed tail.
I think that gamefreak just happened to put ankylosaur-like feature son what is certainly a tortoise, because who wouldnt when making a turtle bigger and scarier. Its not like gamefreak outright refuses to add features from other animals.
>>
>>29545494
>brass knuckles
>war fan
>now this
The water one is the weakest and I assume anyone supporting it is just baiting.
>>
>>29547681
Birds are dinosaurs because dinosaur is an inescapable clade. Nothing evolves outside of it no matter how different it is because it contains the common ancestor of Iguanodon and megalosaurus and everything descended from it.
Dinosaur is a vague word that contains a lot of unrelated animals, and isn't the same as most other animal groups where something can eventually break the criteria, there really isnt one anymore.
>>
>>29547747
The real water pattern is that they are just semi-aquatic animals. Not as fancy or nice as the other two, but it fits.
>>
>>29547681
>Cyanide
You mean synapside?
>>
>>29547689
>Cyndaquil
>Fire Mouse Pokémon
>>
>>29547801
No, I mean platypuses
Because platypuses are as retarded as chesnaught and decidueye
>>
>Its a "Pokemon are only based on one thing Torterra is a turtle and nothing more!" episode
>>
>>29547776
almost all water pokemon are semi aquatic you retard
>>
you guys also forget that it is their pattern. not ours. if they think it fits they just will do it. we talk about inspiration and no rules how it has to be and how it has to be proven in history. if something counts or not. it does not f'ing matter.
>>
>>29547859
The Pokemon, yes, the animals they are based on, no.
>>
>>29545347
Typhlosion is a badger, not a rat and Feraligatr has nothing to do with brass knuckles. The patterns were broken by gen 2. That's not even long enough for a pattern to form.
The dinosaurs at least lasted until gen 4, but it's over too. Serperior is just a snake.
>>
>>29547776
Axolotls and Mudskippers arent semi aquatic, they just dont die on land as quickly as other fish, that's like calling every single mammal semi aquatic because they can hold their breath
>>
>>29547839
It's a "Fags are reaching and trying to make insert a pattern where there isn't to satisfy their autism" episode
>>
>>29547242
Even if they fucking make a snake, bull or sheep I'll deny the retarded pattern. They broke it already I don't fucking care if the next 5 fits.
>>
>>29547904
What dinosaur is Venusaur? I'm really curious to kniw
>>
>>29547904
>>29547239
>>
>>29547934
And who cares about what you think?
>>
>>29547930
I dont support patterns, I support ideas.
Torterra is just a tortoise, but I can totally imagine that Ken saw and ankylosaur and was like "yeah those bits are cool"
>>
>>29547989
I was asked nigger.
>>
>>29548004
No you weren't. First of all know what rethoric questions are. Second you're being self entitled to the reason. No one asked you your shitty opinion.
>>
>>29547966
Not a dinosaur, some diictodont or placarias. Reptiles with probable ears, fangs, and beaky mouths that generally were fat and squat.

I don't think thats the case, gamefreak wasn't too smart about prehistoric animals before hoenn. I mean, Aerodactlyl? That's not a pokemon a dinosaur nerd would design
>>
Was Red Ness the whole time!??
>>
>>29548043
Aerodactyl is a gargoyle
>>
>>29548066
You get it via jurassic park reference. I know its part gargoyl/wyvern, but someone who knows what a placarias is probably cringes at draconic pterosaurs
>>
File: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.jpg (94KB, 960x599px) Image search: [Google]
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.jpg
94KB, 960x599px
>>29545347
>Seal Starter
>Weapon is a club
>>
File: ummmmmm.jpg (27KB, 571x460px) Image search: [Google]
ummmmmm.jpg
27KB, 571x460px
>>29545347
I'm pretty sure the pattern with Water starters is semi-aquatic animals, not weapons.
Turtles, Alligators/Crocidiles, Mudskippers, Penguins, Otters, Frogs, and Sea Lions are all semi-aquatic animals.
>>
>>29545347

Hedgehogs are not prehistoric.
>>
>>29550438
Can you imagine a fully aquatic starter? A gross fish or something that can't travel in the anime? Not gonna happen
>>
It's not even prehistoric or weapons....
It's showing evolution and just recently entered into mammal and bird territory. The water types are semi-aquatic.
>>
>>29550438
Mudskippers aren't semi aquatic. That's like saying small children are semi aquatic.
They are built for water and just happen to be able to tolerate being on land for a period of time
>>
>>29551853
>Acting like its common for a fish to be able to survive more than 30 seconds outside of water.

A semi-aquatic animals implies that they can tolerate both conditions. A mudskipper's fins allow them to move efficiently on land by "skipping" as well as swim when in water, and their gills are also able to work on land as long as they are wet. I don't know about you but that seems pretty semi-aquatic to me.
>>
>>29547111
>muh pokemon are just animals!
>>
Threadly reminder that a pattern can still be a pattern even if one entry strays from it. Feraligatr being shit for example doesn't negate 6/7 of the water types being designed with weapons
>>
>>29545347
>Primarina's weapon is a blunt object.
>Is a seal
kek.
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.