[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can VGC reach this level?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 9

File: Cv_gHntVYAApWnp.jpg (206KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Cv_gHntVYAApWnp.jpg
206KB, 900x1200px
This is from the LoL world championship finals

Why can't Pokemon the biggest gaming franchise in the world get crowds and coverage like this for VGC?
>>
>>29540026
Worlds for Pokemon is quite a niche area. Yes, we are multimillionaire, worldwide phenomenon (even when the Pokefad died off in the 2k's). Competitiveness is really a niche area in Pokemon. That is to show how big and normie in essence games like Dota or LoL.
>>
>>29540026
because doubles is a bastardized, forced format that isnt anything close to what casuals are familiar with
and gamefreak/tpc dont actually promote fucking anything
>>
File: 1471171375535.jpg (22KB, 720x454px)
1471171375535.jpg
22KB, 720x454px
>>29540026
We need to be able to battle 6v6 AG in VGC
>>
>>29540093
>Promoting competitiveness
Yep. They don't.
>>
When League of legends get's to this level. (they never will)
>>
>>29540026
It's not as exciting to watch.
>>
File: JV6Birk.jpg (222KB, 1921x976px) Image search: [Google]
JV6Birk.jpg
222KB, 1921x976px
>>29540252
>League doesn't have soundproof booths
>League doesn't have AR
>League even with crowdfunding can't get past 6million
>League viewbots 300k viewers for twitch

Topu Keku.

Pic related is when someone at riot turned off the bots.
>>
>>29540026
You can only fit so many disappointed Mothers and Fathers into a room, OP.
>>
>>29540264
Tbh this. Excitement factor comes into play, desu.

>Tfw wanting a qt Korean fuccboi to represent Pokemon
>>
>>29540026
>"Competitive" Play
>Glorified Rock-Paper-Scissors with RNG and Timestall
>maybe 5% of all pokemon are viable total
>Doubles
>>
>>29540026
Because at the end of the day it's still just RNG bullshit.
>>
>>29540026
Remove timestall and maybe people will stop laughing at VGC
>>
>>29540026
Lol all this just to watch people play a videogame.

If this is the next step count me out.
>>
>>29540376
>league
>exciting

Pick one.

16 kills after an hour of gamplay, with the same fifty characters picked. (Dota had 107 out of 112 heroes picked)

Koreans dominate the scene in lul. In DotA the teams that won have been Ukraine, China, Sweden, China, America, China. I don't think League has had a single non Korean worlds winner.
>>
>>29540390
This
>turn based game
So it's like chess, could become popular
>winner is decided by RNG
Nevermind, it's inherently uncompetitive.
Literally coin tosses with cartoon monsters for 20+ minutes.
>>
Never ever, VGC is not esports and will never be.
>>
Tons of reasons

Firstly, TCPi and Gamefreak don't give a single fuck about making Pokemon competitive or promoting it as a competitive game. VGC is nothing but yet another thing they do to advertise their product.

Compared to other "competitive" games, Pokemon has a very high entry window for competitive. In which other comp games you have to do shit like breeding, ev training, etc just to start playing? In none of them.

The spectator factor. Look at how every year there's people bitching about MUH BRO MUH VARIETY REMOVE GENIES and so on.

On top of that, and this is related to the high entry level window, the big majority won't understand the smaller stuff like how evs are big factors on matches nor they care about them, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know about them at all. Also, it's a turn based game, that alone makes it boring as hell for the average person who just wants to see things moving fast and pretty colors.

So basically, the creators don't care about competitive, the game has a high entry level bar that scares people and last but not least the average person doesn't find it entertaining to watch.
>>
>>29540320
>only 100k
VGC beats that during the world finals, doesn't it?
>>
>>29540772
I don't think it hit even 20k.
>>
>>29540457
Shit, the finals were Korea v Korea.
Come to think of it, even out of the semi-finals, SKT, ROX, and SSG -- all Korean. The only team that wasn't was H2K, but the got completely stomped.

Yeah. Lego legends is predictable.
>>
>>29540739
This. It's such a chill "competition" at most. Everyone's a friendly rival to each other, making friends and such. You know, Pokemon stuff.
>>
>>29540784
No, it was definitely more than that.
>>
File: rage talonflame.png (394KB, 424x628px)
rage talonflame.png
394KB, 424x628px
>>29540026
>>29540400
>Because at the end of the day it's still just RNG bullshit.

....and what isn't RNG Bullshit is broken as fuck. There is no balance in competitive pokemon. There's a reason there's always the same damned five or so up top. Lack of variety kills Pokemon.
>>
>>29540810
>It's such a chill "competition" at most. Everyone's a friendly rival to each other, making friends and such.
t. someone who has never gone to VGC events.

If you aren't part of the nuggetbridge cliche circlejerk you are treated like shit by most people.

I agree that Pokemon is something that you should play mostly for fun, you'll never make a living with it, if you end up winning something that's just a bonus.
>>
>>29540817
Lol no it was 14 something k
>>
>>29540843
>and what isn't RNG Bullshit is broken as fuck. There is no balance in competitive pokemon. There's a reason there's always the same damned five or so up top
That's literally every compeittive game.

No game will ever be fully balanced, no game will ever have "variety" because there will always be things better than most other things. Why can't you people understand such simple concepts?
>>
VGC is a shitty, boring meta. I get that they stick with doubles in the interest of time, but it really is just a non-entertaining slapfight back and forth with very little strategic variation.

6v6 singles is the true spirit of the game ever since its inception. If there was a way to incorporate this into their official format, competitive Pokemon would be much better.
>>
>>29540848
Welp, I really don't and that proves how niche e-sports or competitiveness in Pokemon is. I don't even know what the hell is that term you're using.

Guess I'm on the chill online battles fags.
>>
>>29540863
...there's a little game called Overwatch that would like to debate with you about balance being "impossible".

Going back older we also have M.U.L.E.

Balance and variety are achievable. The game must be designed around those goals for it to work, however, or it just won't work.
>>
>>29540793
Did SKT win? Kinda bored of the God Faker already. I want my Peanut qtpie fuccboi to win. Seeing him cry made me sad. I never felt sad for a fucking boy.
>>
>>29540864
t. someone who never played doubles
>>
Why is Doubles a thing in formal competition in Pokemon? They have other formats for God's sake. Even Single can be challenging and fun at the same time.

They scrubbed Triple and Rotation our fo existence too. Backpedaling even more, GF.
>>
>>29540864
t. Smogonfag, Singles in any form is shitty and way boring to watch
>>
>>29540888
Well, basically, Nuggetbridge is the biggest VGC site on the web. Pretty much all it's admins, mods and their friends are either top players or have involved themselves with the organization of events and as it usually goes when popularity and power consolidates they became a circlejerk and sekrit where they don't allow anyone else to join because they are the super duper best and you suck even if you have won Worlds more times than Ray Rizzo did.
>>
>>29540864
Singles is objectively awful
>>
>>29540843
Hence I want to see one day, Karen's philosophy will reign true and all Pokemon are made to battle against each other no matter the tiers. That won't ever happen, I know, but I'm glad I'm not living forever.
>>
>>29540745
I agree, well said. There's a lack of excitement when 90% of the plays in the finals are the same ones you see throughout the year. The ability to be as innovative as Sejun AND succeed with it is so scarcely seen it doesn't attract a big crowd so interesting games are just a pleasant surprise rather than a guarantee.
>>
>>29540963
Sounds like a group of people I don't want to associate with. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>29540975
>Sejun
Oh the Pachirisufag. At least there's a cutie Korean fuccboi entering a World competition.
>>
>>29540925
>Why is Doubles a thing in formal competition in Pokemon?
It's faster.

>>29540970
Just play Anything Goes you can use everything without limitations :^)
>>
>>29540975
>>29540996
Reminder that Sejun didn't use Pachirisu because it was his "bro" but because of the extremely specific circumstances of the format that year that gave the squirrel a niche to fill for the first and last time in it's whole life.
>>
>>29540848
This. When you state an opinion that's not the one parroted around from established names you get instantly shit on thanks to vgcfags' unhealthy obsession with their broken format so they search on Twitter for public tweets the entire day and post your tweets on IRCs and their pathetic little Showdown chatroom. Even after you're proven right they'll still rub their 0.5 inch dicks against your cheeks.

Also they love their buzzwords to death. Some I can recall are "esports", "arbitrary", and "pins".
>>
>>29540999
>Anything Goes
M-Masaka, you watch OOO? Eiji is a bae, especially naked with only pantsu on.
>>
>>29540772
>>29540857
Peak was 32k this year. It was more last year.
>>
>>29541013
>Pins
First time I've heard that one. What's it mean?

>>29541019
B-But I thought VGC16 was shit and no one watched it!

I wonder what was the peak on 2014.

>>29541018
>>>/krg/
>>
>>29541013
Kek.
>>
>>29541013
Wow, you seem really butthurt.
>>
File: 1477634937741.jpg (482KB, 1118x937px) Image search: [Google]
1477634937741.jpg
482KB, 1118x937px
>>29540320
>tfw stopped watching and playing LoL at the time it became gook-click
>>
>>29541030
>/krg/
Eww. Jk I love that place, at least we have a Toku place in 4chan
>>
File: pachiruse.png (770KB, 1000x680px) Image search: [Google]
pachiruse.png
770KB, 1000x680px
>>29541010
Yes, that's not the point. It's that he figured out how to use an outlier mon like that when he could have used a cookie-cutter option instead of taking a gamble on Pachirisu. He has done it in the past too, bringing Magmar of all options one year.
>>
>>29541047
I played league for four years before realizing the game was shit. Started playing DotA and I can't go back, LoL is too boring for my taste anymore after getting spoiled.
>>
>>29541094
>Yes, that's not the point.
Just sayin'. Glad you are not blind sheep and actually realize how and why he picked Pachirisu.
>>
>>29541030
Basically offensive cores like Charizard-Y/Landorus-T and Xerneas/Primal Groudon. But of course vgcfags have to come up with special snowflake names for everything that already exists.
>>
>>29541125
How silly.

I hope we can revive VGC General on /vp/ next year, we had a good going with 15 and 14 but 16 killed all interest here.
>>
What I'm getting at here, even though we have competitive side in Pokemon, the fanbase, however, is split between a few factions?

One the trollers (although they fight seriously or I'm just being used to see how they all act like trolls in that general) which are called the Showdownfags, Smogonfags, VGCfags and a few others.
>>
>>29541150
Alola dex only should be weird and refreshing enough that we can make it.
>>
>>29541159
No, you're confusing Showdown with Showderp if you're talking trolling.

>>/showderp/
>>
>>29540925
Doubles is better, simply put. It takes more skill, there's more plays that can happen every turn, isn't prone to stalemate situations and tends to create more exciting moments. Better for both players and spectators.
>>
>>29541170
Can't wait for Tapus of Healthy Terrain.
>>
>>29540925
Its much more faster than the other formats.
>>
>>29541198
HELL YEAH!
>>
League is not that easy to understand to an outsider, but they can still watch the different colored teams pushing their units towards the opposite base and kind of get what's happening, plus the moment to moment plays are exciting even if you don't understand the technicalities of it.

Pokemon is ALL technicalities, it's impossible to understand to anyone who doesn't play doubles, let alone the game in general at a competitive level.
>>
>>29541198
to me, it looks like all terrains suck except for the psychic one.
>>
>>29540026
The problem is that normies think the only thing there is to Pokémon is the ashnime and Pokémon Go, TPCi's marketing when it comes to the competitive scene is complete shit. Also everyone has this "gen 1 was the best, the new games suck bro!!1" mentality.

The main point of games like LoL and Dota IS the competitiveness, there's nothing else.

Pokémon is worldwide seen as a pop culture phenomenon more than a competitive game, ask any of the current videogame consumers what they think about the Pokémon world championships and they'll say something dumb like "wHAT? There's a pokemon world championships??? wHat? xD"
>>
>>29540619
Oh yeah, that's why the same people win tournaments every year, because of luck amirite?
>>
>>29541277
Electric Terrain will be top. Koko will love those terrain boosted Thunders in rain plus Surfer Raichu. Killing sleep is a nice plus.

Grassy will be excellent for bulky offense, it'll be amazing for things like Heatran too in the future.

Misty is the one that seems iffy but considering it stops status completely and also will be the greatest stop to Z-Crystal + Draco Meteor spam it's gonna see use here or there.

Besides, even without Terrains, all the Tapus have good typing and will all have 580BST. It'll be nearly impossible for them to be shitmons. They are all gonna see use yes or yes.
>>
>>29541339
>terrain boosted Thunders in rain
do terrains even power up moves? Serebii says nothing about it.
Also, didn't they remove politoed from regional dex? might be wrong about both, I'm not really informed
>>
>>29541330
Yes. You would be lying if you say luck isn't part of the success equation of long-standing players. I know some players who can map out the entire match right from Team Preview, within Team Preview, and still lose and not do well at all because RNG is just such a huge factor in Pokemon.
>>
>>29541368
>do terrains even power up moves? Serebii says nothing about it.
They all boost their move type except Misty.

>Also, didn't they remove politoed from regional dex?
Nope. He's there.
>>
>>29541010
Sejun said himself that he was going to use the cookie cutter mon amoonguss but Pachi filled the role better because of all the safety googles running around, if he had used amoonguss he wouldnt have won
>>
>>29541413
You're making Pokemon an alien game for me. It's amazing how people are invested in competitiveness in Pokemon. Aside from random, stranger online WiFi battles.
>>
>>29541413
Just in case, you are agreeing with my statement right?
>>
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spoilers-early-vgc-2017-interesting-pokemon.3585002/
>>
>>29540026

Because its insanely boring, completely unbalanced in that not even 10% of existing, fully evolved pokemon are used, its a 3DS game so it has no interesting visuals or graphics, it isn't fast paced, and the game is riddles with RNG. Crits, misses, extra effects, making the game less skill based then other major esports.
>>
>>29541339
Note that sun is legal, too.
>>
>>29541527
>Only setter is Ninetales
lol
>>
League of Legends is way more popular than Pokemon. It has way more players. Pokemon can get to that stage by becoming as popular as League of Legends.
>>
>>29541376
Being "good" at team preview doesnt mean shit; if you can't figure the worst case scenario, identify your win condition and archieve it after RNG fucks you over, your're shit player, straight up

>Rizzo 3 times champion
>Sejun reaching cut multiple times and finally winning
>Arash winning tons of big tournaments after his underdog win in 2013
>Wolfe's win this year after finishing second in 2012
>Zheng's multiple tournament wins

That's not luck, it's consistency
>>
>>29541538
It's worse than rain but it combos nice with grassy terrain.
>>
>>29541095
I played dota for a little but don't really play either now.

Dota was more fun because there was more fun shit you could do.
>>
>>29541579
I'd rather play with manual sun than waste a slot on Ninetales to be honest.
>>
>>29540907

Europe won the first LOL championship but its been all Koreans after that
>>
>>29541441
Yeah, my reply was meant to be for >>29541094 I fucked up
>>
>>29541540
you... don't know what mapping out the entire match means, don't you?
>>
>>29541664
Explain it to us then clever boy
>>
>>29540026
>Why can't Pokemon the biggest gaming franchise in the world get crowds and coverage like this for VGC?
Because Pokemon is 60% RNG, 30% bullshit, 10% stall and 0% balance. It is also exceedingly boring to watch.
>>
>>29540320
>SKT
Well no wonder no one was watching. If I wanted to see a boring, hopeless, one-sided stomp I'd play an ARAM.
>>
>>29540093
Even 7 year olds can play and understand VGC. It's not difficult for anyone to understand how doubles works, anon.
>>
>>29540864
Singles is worse than doubles in every single way.
There needs to be an option to play through the main games with every fight as a double battle rather than single.
>>
>>29541815
This. I'm sad that they didn't bring back the Gym doubles re-match from Emerald. That was fun.
>>
>>29540848
The fuck kind of events have you gone to? Granted I do more TCG than VCG because I have more friends in the former, but outside of a few fuccbois who think they're god's gift to mankind because they were the first person in their group to think to teach Kangaskhan PuP, most people are pretty friendly or, at worst, autistically shy. VGC also has the added bonus over TCG of being less likely for your opponent to accuse you of rigging the match, in case you get stuck with one of those fuckos.

There are groups, and a lot of the ones with themed team shirts are more competitive and note sharers, but that's generally the worst you see at regionals, states, and even Nats (though Nats is fucking huge).

Online I'm sure there's plenty of cancer but that's the case for all competitive groups, including Smogon. They don't represent the majority of actual players though.

Career parents are more pressing than competitive jerks. Parents trying to game the system by training their kids to be money makers is pretty fucking gross and I've seen parents bringing in other parents to their circles to make it easier to travel cheap and have more shots at money. Especially now that prizes can be cashed out instead of just scholarships. No kid should be used like a beauty pageant child just to earn money for their parents.
>>
>>29541918
>prizes can be cashed out instead of just scholarships
That doesn't actually work, does it? The winner has to be 18 to get the cash.
>>
>>29540848
This is the first time I've heard of that.
I mean there was obviously always a bit of circlejerk there but I've never heard that it was hostile.
>>
>>29540026
>caring about "esports"
>>
>>29541918
>Career parents are more pressing than competitive jerks. Parents trying to game the system by training their kids to be money makers is pretty fucking gross and I've seen parents bringing in other parents to their circles to make it easier to travel cheap and have more shots at money.
That's pretty sad considering Pokemon is a real shitty game if you wanna play for money. The kid will be wasting his time and childhood on something that won't even be worth it.

>Especially now that prizes can be cashed out instead of just scholarships
What? I'm fairly certain only legal adults can cash in their prize money. Parents of the juniors or seniors can do that. It's scholarship or scholarship.

>No kid should be used like a beauty pageant child just to earn money for their parents.
Man, those things are fucking awful and disgusting. What baffles me more is that according to Americans that is perfectly okay but lolicon is horrible and literal pedophilia. I wish I had that culture that sexualizes real life kids get mad at animated teenagers or something like that picture.
>>
>>29541946
There's a combination of shit, I think. There are physical prizes that the parents sell (booster boxes, stamped cards, champ dice, trophies, etc.), there's travel stipends (that save them from spending their own money on travel, and I think some exploit it to buy things/cash out the excess by buying and reselling things), and then the scholarships. The scholarships used to be not cashable until 18+ but when they allowed cash outs for people who don't go/intend to go to college, I've heard parents talking about finding ways around that, such as enrolling kids in dual credit classes when they start middle/high school so they are a student of a college and thus eligible for it, or by stating that their kid isn't going to college and putting a formal appeal that the money is needed more right now to benefit education.

Could be bullshit but these are the parents pushing their 8-12 year olds to worlds every year. They talk about being in it for the money and unless they are patiently waiting to cash half a million in 6-10 years, I can't see them investing the money without making bank.
>>
>>29541957
It's likely a combination of bad eggs on the site, and the fact that they charge for content that leaves a sour taste.
>>
>>29542028
Holy shit, that is disgusting.
>>
>>29541978
>What baffles me more is that according to Americans that is perfectly okay but lolicon is horrible and literal pedophilia.
That's just how it is. Blame other parties as distraction so your citizen don't pay attention to internal issues. See: the "feminists" in the UN trying to get Japan to boycott animated porn when the UN themselves made fucking Saudi Arabia head of human rights council, or BBC lambasting Japan for cartoon pedo while covering up influential people in their own country are dabbling in actual pedo.
>>
>>29542028
Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with American parents?

>They talk about being in it for the money and unless they are patiently waiting to cash half a million in 6-10 years
Wait, what? Last year 1st places for WORLDS was 25k for TCG and 10k for VGC.

Even this year only has prizing 250k support for the whole circuit. Where the heck are you getting your numbers?
>>
>>29540026
Screens that size streaming a 3DS would look like absolute piss.
>>
>>29542089
Not when you're in a crowd far away from the screen
>>
>>29542062
A lot of career parents have kids double dip in VGC and TCG. TCG is the real money, especially since it's harder for most kids to get a $200 deck and know how to play it like an adult would. Kids also usually have the ability to play in both tourneys due to their small pool of players allowing the events to go back to back rather than simul, or at worst, if they are doing poorly in one event, they drop to the other.

Keep in mind, to get to worlds they grind up countless tournaments. A few state wins, topping regionals and Nats, even the small local circuit tournaments where they can take in an easy booster box can net them big bucks. They move from juniors, to seniors, and some are entering masters now with all that preening and focus, where the prizes are substantially higher. A good number of them are homeschooled too, meaning more time to practice. This all adds up to a lot of fucking money being saved up even if they aren't conning their way to grabbing the money early. And that's just if they have one kid. A few of them have 3+ in the game making bank.

(Cont.)
>>
>>29542288
(Cont.)
The most heartbreaking and infuriating part of it was last year when I went with friends to our fall regionals and sat at the bar drinking, only for a mom, her two boys, and a recent recruit career dad she was coaching came up and sat next to us. They talked strategies over drinks and ordered food while the boys sat on the floor and were writing notes and looking over their battles on the replay thing. The dad wasn't sure how to get his kid more serious and the mom was giving him pointers like grounding his son for not placing high enough, or threatening to not take his son to events "if you're not making enough money to make it worthwhile". She also told him he needed to push his son to be more assertive, to undermine the opponent by making comments that ruin their focus or self esteem without being obviously mean. Like "oh? You're using Lucario? That wouldn't be my first choice". She went on and one while we were there, talking loudly and downing drinks. She'd insult her kids that were right in front of her, even pointing at them and being like "this one almost got caught in his round 2 match for time stalling. I told him he has to be smart about it but he just can't get it in his head how to be sneaky".

They eventually got up and left, and one of the boys quietly asked his mom if they were going to get food, since she ate and promised them mcdonalds or something. She told him it was 11 pm and they had a big day tomorrow and needed to be up early.

"And besides, the breakfast here at the hotel is complimentary. You can fill up then."

These people are awful and I do not want them at my events. They are ruining their kids.
>>
>>29542288
>A good number of them are homeschooled too, meaning more time to practice.
This probably means they're not receiving an education at all.
>>
File: 1422045854099.jpg (100KB, 400x446px) Image search: [Google]
1422045854099.jpg
100KB, 400x446px
>>29542288
>>29542306
Fucking Christ.

We really need breeding licenses or something. Poor kids.
>>
>>29541918
>>29542028
>>29542288
>>29542306
You seem really knowledgeable anon. How many events have you gone to and where have you been or go? Any fun or worthy of mention experiences be it good or bad? What should I know or do if I'm a first timer?
>>
>>29542350
Probably just whatever they need to know for making plays.

So probably math and stats and some game theory on when to take risks.
>>
>>29542418
I'm in the Texas area. Been out of play since last fall due to schedule and lack of funds to keep up with the card game as much, plus some friends graduated so it's not the same going alone and having a room to yourself or just one other person. I also went to Nats 4 years in a row with family, it's been fun for my brother since he has kids who are getting into pokemon, but they're not into it enough not is my brother financially stable enough for them to travel to events outside of summer vacation with us.

Main tips I guess:

1. Read up on things like the format of the events. I'm assuming you are Masters level (I think it's 14+) otherwise MOOOOOODS, so some tourneys have entry fees in order to beef up prizes. You also don't want to show up with your team full of legendaries and your Base Set Charizard deck because the format's different. Figure out the format, and start local and small. Maybe do a prerelease if you're interested in cards, since you don't need a deck. If you like the games, small tourneys are hard to come by, but it honestly just depends where you are and what the local scene is. Bigger tournaments like Regionals are basically pokemon conventions. This year they'll likely get more competitive since there's one every 2-3 weeks and literally anyone who can travel to all of them, will. If you go local first, expect to see those people there, so if you got local friends, you got people to hang with. Otherwise even people you casually meet at regionals are fun. Just shaking your opponent's hand and introducing yourself is a good enough start. Ask where someone is from, be observant, if they're friendly, hang out and see if you become friends. Especially with TCG there's plenty of time to have small chitchat, ask where they bought their sleeves, etc. it's like weird 50 minute speed dating for friends.
>>
>>29542538
Whoops guess I fucked up the list. I blame it being 5:30 in the morning.

Anyways, the first year is the most awkward, but after that you get a group of people you know and there's usually someone you recognize either playing you again or playing next to you.

Plus there's places for pick up games and vendors selling old merch, rare cards, and merch from Japan.

Basically it's a nice chill weekend for regionals. If you get a jerk, just lay low for the match, get through it, and you likely won't deal with them again. You get a talkative person, well, as long as they don't mess up the match, they shouldn't be too annoying, and if they are, same deal.

US Nats meanwhile is more competitive, but there are so many first timers. For as many competitivefags there, there are just as many doe-eyed players that have never seen thousands of pokemon fans in the same room. You're more likely to get a dick, and in the past we had people try to pressure players into flipping a coin to settle ties or decide matches (almost always their own coin and a non-tourney legal one at that). Luckily this is illegal in the rules to pressure for a randomizer-induced outcome.

I also was a professor for a couple of years which meant I could help judge tournaments and help the staff out. Mainly it just helped me understand the process better and how to help situations and catch certain things happening on my games that I normally wouldn't. But judges are generally pretty friendly since many are parents or good college nerds. Just don't expect them to take crap.
>>
>>29542810
>>29542538
As for notable stories, I run decks that burn energy and bring them back so I have a lot of high risk, high reward playstyle running for my deck, which makes for fun matches despite not always placing well. I had a RED deck (Rayquaza Emboar Delphox) 2 years ago that either ripped my opponent a new asshole or just sat there waiting to die. A few opponents were terrified by how efficient it ran when I could get everything working, but usually one card would escape my grasp and from there I couldn't strike fast enough. I managed to take down a few top tier decks, even with bad matchups because of extremely good luck and fast starts.

Other than that, I saw a guy get kicked out of a tourney for using fake sleeves and then getting into a fight with a judge about it. He played me and insisted on using his coin that always got heads on a flip deck. Huh.

Also had some fun with a competitive guy trying to stall a game to beat me. I had just had surgery a couple of days before and was on pain meds, so I wasn't all there and didn't play to win really. Just wanted some fun. Anyways, he ended up winning because I was one turn away from beating him in game 2 for a tie and he was a jackass about me "probably not making top cut". Except I know how tournaments work, and I was planning to leave early, so I withdrew from the tournament. By doing so, I fucked that guy out of getting top cut, and helped a guy I knew get in instead. Still kinda happy about that.
>>
>>29540026
>biggest gaming franchise in the world
That's Mario, bruh
>>
File: 1463617238022.png (158KB, 796x556px) Image search: [Google]
1463617238022.png
158KB, 796x556px
>>29542538
>>29542810
>>29542837
Thanks friend. I'll finally be able to go to events starting next year so I wanted to know what I'll be seeing and stuff.
>>
>>29540026
because VGC relies too much on luck, it's a shit tier
I'm not a smogon praiser but
6v6 double from smogon is actually a good tier for competitive

The main argument for not playing 6v6 single is that tournament would last too long which i understand
But 6v6 doubles with actual bans is a good compromise
>>
>>29541539
Not anymore. Pokemon has had a resurgence in popularity whereas LoL has kind of been on the decline. Apparently there were a fuckton of Rito viewbots watching Worlds. See: >>29540320
>>
>>29542965
>mega salamence banned
>hypnogravity clause
>suspect tested azumarill
>and yet lando-t is legal despite rockslide flinches being one of the biggest luck elements, and it being on 50% of good player's teams
No.
>>
>>29542965
>>29543016
Oh and dou unbanned Skymin for a long time.
It's smogon's worst ran format, which is fucking saying something.
>>
>>29543016
>hypnogravity clause

What the hell is that?
>>
>>29541784
Agreed.
>>
>>29542989
So they wanna keep up whatever 'reputation' left and would do something as far as getting viewbots? Interesting, but I hope it's not baseless rumours.
>>
>>29543027
You can't use gravity and a move that induces sleep on the same team.
>>
>>29543027
I think that means using gravity to increase hit chance of Hypnosis
>>
>>29543016
Didn't they want to ban redirection too once?
>>
>>29542936
No prob. Outside of a couple of bad local tourneys, I've had a blast at all the events I've gone to, because it's nice to be with a group of people who just enjoy the same things. Not everyone is going to enjoy it to the same degree as you, but there's some chill people of every type. Also my heart melts every time I see a kid get super excited even when they get like 16th place and win a single booster. Reminds me of being a kid and being glad to get any pokemon cards with my saved up allowance.

also while there are some notable fa/tg/uys with gross hygiene, it's nowhere as bad as the Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh scene.
>>
>>29543072
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-doubles-ou-stage-5-little-bunny-foo-foo-azumarill-stays.3580680/page-5#post-6981890
>'smogon VGC16 Champ' isn't immediately ruling it out
wew
>>
>>29540026
they at least stream the quarter half and finals.
isn't that enough?
>>
>>29543114
>go to first regional in Orlando
>stop by booth to sell cards
>as soon as I walk up fat guy next to me makes my nose hairs curl

do people just not smell themselves when they leave the house
>>
bye genies
hello tapus
>>
I'm excited for VGC 2015, but the amount of powerful Pokemon in the Alola dex, which is already kind of large, makes me worried that this year is going to be super overcentralized.
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.