[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did You Know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 39

Pokémon Colosseum has no Gen 1 Pokemon available making it the least Genwunner pandering Pokémon Game
>>
>>29532850
maybe thats why i hated it
>>
>>29532850
My favorite pokemon game.
>>
maybe thats why I loved it.
>>
>>29532887
Agreed.
>>
It's also one of the four games that's required for one to have all the resources for obtaining the gen III diploma if one wants to use as less games as possible.
>>
>>29532850
>Doesn't Nostalgia Pander
>Has Badass protagonist
>Has a plot twist
>Has a final fantasy style evil villian
>you can steal Pokemon
And finally
>It let's you catch the Johto Legendaries in Gen 3
>>
>>29532850
It wasn't made by GF, that's why.
>>
>>29533022
>It was made by the same guys who made Battle Revolution and Shuffle
>>
>>29533022
No wonder its so good.
>>
>never a main pokemon game will be in all doubles
>never a main pokemon game will let you have a waifu with you
>never a main pokemon game will let you steal other's pokemon
How does it feel ?
>>
>>29533061
Bad. I wish GF would become competent. so we could get games like Collo and XD.
>>
File: 1477761078235.jpg (136KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1477761078235.jpg
136KB, 1280x720px
>>29532850
It was also a very good game.
Same with Gale of Darkness even if most of the shadow pokemon were Gen 1.

>>29533061
>never a main pokemon game will let you have a waifu with you
Well in gen 4, you have the stat trainers even it's temporary and in SM, Cynthia can follow you apparently.
>>
>>29533095
SM basically stole a bunch a features from XD and Colo so it's getting there.
>>
>>29533125
>Trainers in Battle
>Full Models
>Battle Tree looks like a Mt Battle clone
What else?
>>
>>29532850
It was a gen 2 pandering fest, though.
>almost every Johto line is catchable except the ones that are already in the Hoenn Dex, have a cross gen pre evo or is Unown
>almost every legendary is catchable except Lugia, which was in the sequel, and Celebi if you're from a PAL region

Also the second game after Yellow where you can get every starter in one playthrough.

How would a Shadow Pokémon game look like nowadays now Megas, Alolan forms and Z-Moves are a thing?
>>
>>29533183
But it wasn't really pandering for pandering's sake, as after RSE and FRLG gen 2 Pokemon were the most scarce and transferring them up from gen 2 was impossible.

It had a reason to be gen 2 focused.
>>
>>29533183
>only 3 gen at the time
>all the videogames out are gen3
>remake of gen1 at the same time
>gen2 pandering being problematic
>>
Colosseum and XD:GoD are unironically the best Pokemon games in terms of challenge in the main story.
Limited Pokemon pool, hindered level and learnset progression, Doubles strats being used against you
Mainline games cannot compete with this. If the player does not selectively hinder themself in some fashion, accidentally or intentionally, there is very little mainline difficulty.
Colosseum and XD:GoD are also the best Pokemon games in general. Only real downside is no physical/special split, and one obnoxious meme that makes discussion extremely rare.
>>
>>29533167
Quirky and incompetent evil team and evil Pokemon that are marketed as different from normal ones (Shadow Pokemon (Lugia in particular) and UB)
>>
File: 1468508595770.gif (470KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1468508595770.gif
470KB, 200x200px
>yfw you will never be able to play a main game with only double battle and a real challenge and nice story behind
>>
>>29533235
>XD

Reddit, please.
>>
>>29533183
It wasn't pandering, it was patching holes in the gen 3 dex. You literally couldn't complete your dex in gen 3 without it.
>>
>>29533207
>>29533234
I never said it was a problem but I should have used another word than 'pandering'.
>>
>>29533235
The only thing I really wanted with these games is for them to be longer, have more variety in terms of setting and where you can go, the characters you battle with, etc. I hated that ever area was a tiny hub, pretty much. I want there there to be a bit more substance to it as a game, too.
>>
The one mistake this game made was not allowing Shadow Lugia to remain that color and change the eyes from edgy red to normal color.
>>
File: 1477733963734.gif (3MB, 396x335px) Image search: [Google]
1477733963734.gif
3MB, 396x335px
>>29533281
I know this is a meme, but goddamn it pisses me off every single time I see it.
Have a (you).
>>
>>29533183
>>It was a gen 2 pandering fest, though.
Less pandering, and more the point
>>almost every Johto line is catchable except the ones that are already in the Hoenn Dex, have a cross gen pre evo or is Unown
Almost as if they were trying to include the Pokémon that you couldn't catch in RS and FrLg. Odd that.
>>
>>29533321
They probably would have if it was made in gen 4 since they had forms in that gen. If they ever remake this they should use purified Shadow Pokemon as "Orre forms" with a new type.
>>
>>29533285
>>29533378

>>29533290
>>
File: 1477677063016.png (192KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
1477677063016.png
192KB, 520x390px
>>29533293
I would actually say that XD:GoD is bordering on being annoyingly long. It is one of few Pokemon games I completely and properly replayed in its full glory.
Replayability is a huge factor for me when it comes to games. Pokemon typically bypasses this desire by having so much shit to do with catching, training, battling, collecting, and more, but Colosseum and XD:GoD are considerably more compact and robust. It's nowhere near Hotline Miami in terms of replayability, but I might even put it on level with Deus Ex as a longer, story-driven game where half of the fun is making alternative choices (ie Pokemon used/caught, which has much more impact under the ruleset of these games when compared to mainline)

Doubles are also literal perfection and I'm never not going to be mad about XY and its shitty AI Multis. I fucking hate you, Serena.
>>
>>29533557
The guys who made Colosseum and XD also made Battle Revolution, and while that was an empty prototype of a game, the AI and the sets they used for the Masters battles in Doubles were the most clever and challenging things ever put into a Pokemon single player game.

The AI in that game is truly insanely good and the sets in Masters are among the best. Too bad most people never played it or got that far to experience those battles, they were what got me into the Doubles metagame and opened my mind to how strategic it can get.

Why don't they put those developers in charge of AI at least? They are really good at it compared to Game Freak.
>>
>>29533557
>I would actually say that XD:GoD is bordering on being annoyingly long. It is one of few Pokemon games I completely and properly replayed in its full glory.
Citadark Island goes on for bloody ever
>>
>>29533273
there's a ROM hack called Emeraldouble which is a hack of Emerald and most of the battles are Double battles. It's not what you're asking for but it's pretty fun... It's about as close to a double battle only main series game as we can get, unfortunately.
>>
>>29533672
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvPlrq3EOV4

Here's a video of all Masters sets in Revolution, worth a watch because it's not worth trudging through the game to get to them nowdays. Guy in the video used legit teams he trained in HGSS, and had detailed plans for each and every single major fight in there. It's a lot harder than he makes it look, but you can get an idea of how good the sets and AI are.
>>
>>29533672
That sounds very interesting thanks anon
>>
File: brushibrushibrushi.gif (483KB, 475x275px) Image search: [Google]
brushibrushibrushi.gif
483KB, 475x275px
>>29532850
that explains why its so much top tier
>>
>>29532850
And that's why it's one of the best Pokemon games.
>>
>>29533183

who the fuck really did that super hard mt battle to get the ho-oh
>>
>>29533235
not to mention having to catch pokemon after/during a fight with other pokemon, while they use super effective moves on you
>>
>>29533830
I did, I just imported my level 100 team from RSE and went through. It was a steamroll.
>>
File: Groudon.png (75KB, 1224x1835px) Image search: [Google]
Groudon.png
75KB, 1224x1835px
>>29533672
Gamefreak has been doing this shit for 20 years now, and they still have the amateurish incompetence of an actual tech illiterate. They struck gold with Pokemon as a franchise, but they have no idea how to polish it. The best they can do is hose it down and present the wet and deformed nuggets.
Its two steps forward and thirty flights of stairs backward, every generation. I fucking love Pokemon, but at this point the continued mistakes of GF are beginning to feel like genuine maliciousness rather than flagrant stupidity. But this isn't the thread for such a discussion.

>>29533711
Absolutely. Even for an Evil HQ and end-game location, it just drags on and on and on and on and on and on, especially if you take the alt routes for items and shit.

>>29533830
I got into the 80s or something and a fucking Meganium blew me out. It was the first time I ever got mad at video games, and I was fucking MAD.

Mt. Battle was also a perfect location to simultaneously introduce the player to more competitive concepts and offer a zone where they could grind. It's probably my favorite battle facility.
>>
>>29532998
>badass protagonist
I didn't know we had the Sonic fandom here
>stealing pokemon
Literally from crooks and people who bought stolen Pokemon. And you can only steal the pokemon tampered with because your assistant will yell at you for trying to steal anything else. What a bad***
>>
>>29533830
>oh I did the main game mt battle, this'll be easy-
Didn't even make it halfway.
>>
>>29533926
The MC was also a part of the evil team, if you forgot. And we only know that they stole the snag'em machine from them but not that they joined for it.
>>
File: shadowpokemon.gif (2MB, 442x251px) Image search: [Google]
shadowpokemon.gif
2MB, 442x251px
>>29533183
>Mega Shadow Pokemon
WHERE IS MY SEQUEL?!
>>
>>29533742
holy shit those attack animations. I really hope they do something like this on the Switch and use it on streams of VGC tourneys
>>
>>29533235
This. As much as people used to (and still do) bitch about double battles being forced, it gave a different play style to the games that mainline couldn't pull off outside of maybe 10 battles a game. It made more complex strategies and was really fun to play through. Especially XD because you started as a trainer with much lower leveled pokemon so not everything was 30+ monsters. You felt some progression. I hope they make another spinoff with Orre and Shadow Pokemon.
>>
>>29533207
>>29533285
>>29533378

You guys do remember that you can catch Gen 2 mons in FR/LG, right? Colosseum actually wasn't necessary at all.
>>
>>29533183
Besides what was already mentioned, Gen 2 needs all the pandering it can get with the way they've treated it this past generation.
>>
>>29533830
did mt battle several times, always loved it
>>
>>29533742
Can you beat the game using only the rentals?
>>
>>29534021
I find the battles in PBR agonizingly slow sometimes, but for live tournaments and shit it would be so perfect.

PBR even had a mode where two/four people with only DS consoles and a Pokemon cart in them could instantly sign in the game and battle using their DS consoles as controllers and their cart as their Pokemon boxes/teams. That is perfect for tournaments and things.
I dunno why they stopped making Stadium-esque games.
>>
I just recently beat XD again two days ago, funnily enough.

I was going for every shadow pokemon caught the first time around, but then Greevil's fucking Tauros had to eat two crits in a row and die on me at the very end of the fight.

Also holy shit is Houndoom a peice of fucking tissue paper. I needed to teach Espeon Reflect specifically so Houndoom could set up a Sunny Day sweep without getting oneshot by neutral attacks five levels lower than it.
>>
>>29534039
Not every Johto mon was available in FRLG. Things like Hoothoot, Houndour and the starters were available in Emerald however, with only one starter being possible per playthrough.
>>
>>29534066
Technically I think you can up to the credits, but it's fucking boring because there almost aren't any rentals, it's only like 3 teams of non-evolved shitmons. Not like Stadium at all.

Don't play it unless you have a gen 4 save with your own teams set up. Any half-decent full ingame team will get you to the credits, but Master sets is an entirely different story, as well as some of the arenas with weirder rules that you have to build around.
>>
File: goldpichuroute.jpg (19KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
goldpichuroute.jpg
19KB, 256x192px
>>29533107
I want Cynthia to be my companion Pokemon
>>
>>29534039
Good fucking luck trying to get the Johto starters without the Gamecube games. You get one through playthrough and it requires filling the Hoenn dex.

And Lugia/Ho-oh aren't available at all without access to a FRLG event, but gen 3 treats them as event mons.
>>
>you will never experience playing a new pokemon game hapoening in Orre, with all the new pokemon, battle mode alternating between doubles, triples and rotating, going to catch all the shadow pokemons on switch
No more Mirror B
It hurt so much
>>
>>29534048

>Every pokemon with free appendages can learn Grass Knot
>Fucking Pikachu can learn Grass Knot
>Typhlosion cannot learn Grass Knot

I don't know what's more incredible, the fact that Thunderpunch in gens 1-3 was all that was standing between Typhlosion (who was BL in Gen 3, if you recall) and competitive irrelevancy or the fact that Game Freak continues to fuck him over by piling on nothing but physical attacks to his movepool.

Why in gods name is Gyro Ball of all things on his list of Level 1 moves?
>>
>>29533830
I did, with only Pokemon from the game itself. I don't remember it being very hard.
>>
>>29534063
>>29533830
those rest areas with the old guy and the abra were comfy as fuck, plus the music
>>
>we will never get a sequel to Colosseum and Gale of Darkness

I want one so badly. Just a console pokemon game that has the actual battle mechanics of a pokemon game. Just think what Nintendo could do with the switch if they put a competent dev in charge aka not gamefreak.
>>
>>29534289
show me one video on youtube of someone using ingame mons to beat the last guy

and not the ingame mode, but the colosseum battle mountain
>>
>>29534378
Anon it's not that hard to beat the last guy with only ingame mons.
>>
Colosseum might be tolerable if snagged Pokemon retained their old trainer I.D.
>>
>>29534398
so show me someone that did it
>>
>>29533926
>Wes is a former member of a Villianous Team, the best at STEALING other people's Pokémon Without fail, who steals the only device that lets them steal Pokemon and blows up their base while riding a hovercyle with his Umbreon and Espeon as it bursts behind him
>>
>>29532850
Im actually replaying Gale of Darkness right now.
>>
>>29534413
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnxS3JXNtVo

literally 5 seconds of searching on youtube.
>>
>>29532850
Wtf I still love Pokemon Colosseum
>>
>>29533830

I did by trading in Mewtwo and Rayquaza.
>>
>>29534469
well damn
i couldnt find one i swear
>>
Colosseum was a great game. I have constantly been a member of the Colosseum IDF since the game came out - I hated RS when they were released so I ended up sinking all my time into Colosseum instead.

The self-imposed limitations of no wild Pokémon and a limited Pokédex pretty much forced you to use Pokémon you'd never even consider otherwise - Mantine is and will forever be a bro to me, but I honestly never trained him before or after this game - and use weird strategies and shit being forced to play doubles.

It's also refreshingly compact and focused, and the shadow Pokémon gimmick was clever without being cheesy.

XD went too far, opening up too many Pokémon to use, stretching the plot out too long, and making Cipher's whole plot a bit too ridiculous. Lugia being handed to you instead of the way you really had to work for Ho-Oh also rubbed me the wrong way. Not that, at this point, I don't also look at XD favourably compared to what we're getting as of late, but Colosseum is just the end-all be all actually good game of the series if you guys are just going to shit all over my nostalgia for Pokemon Gold.
>>
>>29534535
I can't hate Plusle (and Minun, I guess) after what it did in Colosseum.
>>
>>29534530
Yeah I beat Mt. Battle with an ingame team because I thought R/S sucked. I didn't even buy a GBA until FR/LG came out.

Very last trainer is not too hard at all. I remember having random problems with some of the last 10 or 15 trainers but the last guy didn't really pull anything wild out of the hat.
>>
File: image.png (37KB, 181x150px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
37KB, 181x150px
I still don't know how to feel about this twist
>>
>>29534589
Was he ever foreshadowed being the bad guy outside of not being at the Mayor's Office at one point in the game?
Same applies for Greevil. Was he ever foreshadowed?
>>
>>29534574
yeah, it's weird, the last guy is pretty easy but the 2 before him have fucking kyogre and groudon and are pretty brutal
>>
Man, I loved these games, I actually like that the games had limited options, made me choose a lot of Pokemon I'd never pick otherwise, and grew to appreciate most of them. It's too bad there'll likely never be another Orre game, because it'd look fantastic with the modern Pokemon artstyle, the N64-quality models did not do this game justice.
>>
>>29534574
In Single battles in Colosseum, Infin always sends out Kyogre as last. And that guy in the video was pretty lucky Inity didn't bring his Starmie.
>>
>>29534615
Good meme, I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
Here's this in case you are.
>>
>>29534607
I feel Greevil was foreshadowed a little more going by his name, and when you meet him there's that close up to him which is odd. Also his lackeys seem really suspicious, even though Aridos beats Zook's shadow mon.
>>
>>29534686
His good persona is named Mr. Verich, though.
>>
>>29534686
Outside of that one CIpher Admin leaving his office at the start of the game, you don't really have any foreshadowing about him at all. The game gives you a lot of opportunity to pretty much forget he exists, and assume Nascour (best battle theme ever btw) is the final boss. And then maybe get BTFOed when Evice shows up and goes all fucking crazy.
>>
>Enemy used status effect
>Heal
>Enemy used status effect
>Heal
>Repeat until someone runs out of items or PP
Did the AI read inputs in this game? It was fucking impossible to get rid of confusion or paralysis
>>
>>29534711
Oh yeah. Well the other stuff still applies.
>>
>>29534680
>I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
you are retarded if you think anyone unironically >XD posts
>>
File: Pokedogs.jpg (328KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Pokedogs.jpg
328KB, 800x800px
>Growlithe, Houndour, Poochyena and Manectric in the same game
Gale of Darkness had the cutest lineup

Also found it pretty weird that every version exclusive mon was in the game except for Slowpoke/Slowbro.
>>
Funny this game gets appreciated now
It was really hated back in the day
>>
>>29534740
AI was definitely rigged in game. I remember getting flustered in Battle Mode because I couldn't tell if it was also rigged or not.
>>
File: 1472077062643.png (198KB, 561x520px) Image search: [Google]
1472077062643.png
198KB, 561x520px
>>29534745
PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE MESSING WITH ME.
PLEASE TELL ME YOU KNOW POKEMON XD: GALE OF DARKNESS IS A TITLE OF A POKEMON GAME.
>>
>>29534750
Yeah. People did not like Colosseum. They did NOT like it. They thought the limited selection gimped the game and being forced to double battle also sucked. They saw XD as a game that fixed a lot of its problems.

It's weird everyone on /vp/ likes it. I was a one-man army back in 2003 or 04.
>>
File: image.png (121KB, 509x442px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
121KB, 509x442px
>>29534789
Anon, your reading comprehension seems a bit lacking. He was calling you stupid for thinking anyone actually posts the >XD meme not knowing it's the game's title.
>>
>>29534802
For me it has a lot to do with the story being a breath of fresh air compared to other main series games, but I've also grown to appreciate the limited selection and double battle gimmick over time.

I guess it comes down to modern games like XY giving us everything making me like being forced to think outside the box in terms of strategy and use pokemon I probably wouldn't have a reason to use otherwise.
>>
>>29534802
I played it as a kid and I loved it just as much as RSE, it's sad knowing it's not really appreciated like it should.
>>
File: 1468549657555.gif (475KB, 400x247px) Image search: [Google]
1468549657555.gif
475KB, 400x247px
>>29534825
The arrow threw me off. I think you're right, I had to reread that sentence and it still doesn't make sense to me...
>>
File: 1459255599747.png (166KB, 398x523px) Image search: [Google]
1459255599747.png
166KB, 398x523px
>>29533830
Took a while.
>>
>>29534802
Those reasons are exactly why I've liked it from the beginning.
>>
>>29534938
>It goes from 3D into 2D into 3D
KEK
>>
>>29534890
I think that's a good point. Right now, actually, I seem to be one of the people arguing a new Gen doesn't need to add 100+ new Pokemon and check off all the other formulas/patterns of the series to be a good game. If Sun/Moon was the Rowlet/Litten/Popplio lines, plus Solgaleo and Lunala, and maybe 2 or 3 of the other Pokemon/lines we got for a maximum of 50 Pokemon, I'd be fine with that. I would rather GF spent less time on new Pokemon - because the truth is, we do now have more than enough. I think Gen IV was when we crossed the threshold of having more than sufficient selection, that you can start doing things with these games like what Colosseum did - play with your existing assets to create a new and unusual story. Don't just keep iterating on the same thing.

ORAS has elements of it, considering what it did with the Delta Episode. Sun/Moon has elements of it, too, showing a willingness to play with the Gym format, but I'm honestly hoping for more of what Colosseum did. I haven't come back to the SM demo, and didn't find it interesting at all. We've seen all this before. Z-Moves aren't going to be the shot in the arm these games need to be fun again.
>>
>>29532850
>plusle will never get his cut shadow minun buddy
why live? seriously though what an incredibly missed opportunity
>>
>>29535052
Eh, as a kid I always ended up going with Ampharos instead of Plusle since it just 'made sense', but Plusle's actually a baller on replays with Helping Hand and Rain Dance.
>>
>>29533830

I did over six days summers ago. I enjoyed it a lot.

I then proceeded to clone the Ho-oh and trade it across the GTS.
>>
>>29533830
I did it. Twice, once in story and once in battle mode. I wanted that ribbon.

Didn't lose a single fight, although i had a team of RNG'd shinies from emerald. It's pretty cruel of them to have a trainer with a Kyogre near the end.
>>
File: The Entrance to Hell.jpg (34KB, 636x464px) Image search: [Google]
The Entrance to Hell.jpg
34KB, 636x464px
>when Evice's Slaking uses Skill Swap
>>
>Our spinoffs in the mid 2000's were Colosseum/XD, Mystery Dungeon, and Pokemon Ranger

>Our spinoffs now are shitty f2p trozei games and lackluster sequels to other spinoff titles

I miss how creative the direction of the franchise used to be
>>
>>29534378

I beat Doubles format with an Espeon, Umbreon, Altaria and Medicham where battles 98 and 99 are a Sunny Day team and Rain Dance team right before battle 100.
>>
>>29534750

I think it's that people are starting to apperciate double battles more. The gamecube games (and Emerald somewhat) are the only ways to get your double battle fix outside of PvP. It can't even work for ROMhacks because of the way most of the AI is designed. Such a shame, I'd love to see a primarly double battle based ROMhack/Fangame (that isn't XG, mind you)
>>
>>29535751
GF AI is shit in general.
These games desperately need good AI, and the Genius Sonority games all had it (and improved with each game, peaking at PBR).

I'm playing Star Sapphire which is a 3DS hack, and some route trainers are double battles with interesting sets, but the AI doesn't know how to use them at all, saving for auto-pilot combinations that can't fail.
Singles AI (using the Battle Maison code) is a bit better, in that they will try to use set-up moves first and always use buffs/statuses to their best capacity, but it's still shit and they almost never switch out even when there's nothing they can do to your current Pokemon at all.
>>
>>29534938
>modest
wew
>>
>>29535903
Out of all the farking natures.
>>
>>29533830
I did it with my Emerald/Firered teams in XD. Was that one harder or easier?

I think I had something like Pikachu, Dodrio, Milotic, Metagross, Jolteon, and something else.
>>
>tfw there will never be a sequel to colosseum or xd
>tfw TPC will never let any pokemon game have an interesting story
>tfw "pokemon colosseum and pokemon xd: gale of darkness do not meet our standards and feature stowwies too dawrk and scawwy for our target demographic"
>>
So has anyone ever tried to make a romhack/fangame based on the Orre games? I'm aware of romhacks that slap in a bunch of shadow Pokemon but they're just there to look edgy. I mean, like an actual game where you go around catching Pokemon from other trainers and purifying them and whatnot?
>>
>>29537904

Yeah, there's a grand total of one each. The Colosseum ROMhack is unfinished in ways such as some moves don't work as intended and theres not physical/special split

The XD one is finished, and is called XG:Next Gen.
>>
>>29533061
>never a main pokemon game will be in all doubles
Good
>>
File: 1477459192304.jpg (8KB, 250x225px) Image search: [Google]
1477459192304.jpg
8KB, 250x225px
>>29535212
>>
>>29535628
There's Pokken but..
eh, it's not bad but it's not worth my energy defending. It's just passable.
>>
The shiny palettes in Colo/Gale were pretty weird.

>>29535628
I liked Super Mystery Dungeon more than Explorers, but not by much.
>>
>>29539082
Shiny groudon is sweet as fuck in Colo, it's like it's made of gold
>>
>>29539082
Interesting how the shiny portraits are slightly different except for the unknown.
>>
Will we get a Colosseum Generations episode?
>>
>>29540796
I'm pretty sure most people even remember Orre (Or didn't know it in the place) so probably not.
>>
>>29533830
I was planning on it, already purified every Pokemon recently. Should I go all the way?
>>
>>29534589
The ending felt so rushed. Also why the fuck does he turn into an evil clown?

These games are still my favorite though.
>>
>>29539316
Yeah... because who's really going to bother making them alternative portraits?
>>
>>29533830
Damn.

Did some research and that looks pretty fucking fun to grind through. I might pull out my gamecube and replay it now that I'm a bit less retarded.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyUjHcfd_b8

What a peaceful city
>>
>>29532881
fpwp for a change
>>
>>29533926
>I didn't know we had the Sonic fandom here
Are you new??
>>
>>29539082
Wow I never noticed that.

>shiny luvdisc face
Kek
>>
>>29533061
>>never a main pokemon game will be in all doubles
I really wish this was standard,
>>
>>29541891
noot noot
>>
File: 1459353158078.png (156KB, 288x300px) Image search: [Google]
1459353158078.png
156KB, 288x300px
>>29534535
>XD went too far
>too many Pokémon to use
The number was still limited, they just gave some better mons to use that are OPTIONAL. Most of the best ones are towards the very end of the game anyway.

>stretching the plot out too long
imo, that made it have more replay value. Colosseum felt too short.

>making Cipher's whole plot a bit too ridiculous
Elaborate how exactly. Their plans were exactly the same in both games.

>Lugia being handed to you
So you just used the Master Ball on it every time? Without Master Balling it, it really is a challenge and isn't just "handed" to you.
But I see your point; there's really no reward for clearing Orre Colosseum or Mt. Battle(Battle Mode). At least Mt. Battle in Story Mode gave you the Johto starters.
>>
>>29536907

Genius Sonority has the honor of being one of the games I've played to do edgy right, from a writing perspective.

Colosseum has this unique style of weird grittyness that emerges from the fact that unlike every other place we've seen in the games, Orre is kind of a giant shithole. Pokemon know to stay the fuck away from it so they have to import all their pokemon, the only real pull it has in light of tourism is the Colosseum circuit (without which their economy would likely tank), and you get the feeling that no one really genuinely ENJOYS living there. In that context, it makes sense that an entire underground city of people would buy into Cipher's philosophies, because when your region has so little advantages over its neighbors suddenly an army of superpowered totally obedient pokemon seems like a great way of sticking it to the rest of the world.

Beyond the MC being an edgy criminal, they never really dwell on what the characters themselves are doing and why they're so cool and edgy. Instead, the edginess comes from how genuinely miserable living in Orre is. And while XD has quality of life decisions that make Colo look archaic by comparison (hey lets lock off the purification stone until the player beats the first boss lol), it takes some liberties with the setting that sort of spoil that pervasive air of apathetic, abject human misery that Colosseum had going for it.
>>
File: fury luvdisc.png (9KB, 84x178px) Image search: [Google]
fury luvdisc.png
9KB, 84x178px
>>29541891
noot NOOT
>>
File: derp.png (4KB, 44x44px) Image search: [Google]
derp.png
4KB, 44x44px
>>29539082
>>
>>29543856
The one thing putting me off from playing through Colosseum again is that I can't recatch most Pokemon if I kill it.
>>
File: fury remoraid.png (10KB, 84x178px) Image search: [Google]
fury remoraid.png
10KB, 84x178px
>>29544174
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>29544217
That only applies for Togetic. Sure, in the case of Makuhita or the starter you may have to wait until after you beat Evice but every Shadow Pokémon has two chances and some of them even unlimited. The Shadow Pokémon in Pyrite Town and maybe the Deep Colosseum ones too although I never did that Colosseum again after beating the Deep King, for example.
>>
>>29544249
Really? I thought a lot of them were one and done. I'll have to start up again.
>>
>>29544259
Nope. Everything has at least two chances except for Togetic, while things like Flaaffy can be caught anytime.
>>
>>29544276
>only one chance to get Togetic
What? Where did this come from? You can rebattle the guy if you don't get it on the first go. There's no shadow Pokemon that are lost forever, you can keep rebattling until you get it.
>>
>>29541604
He censored the word "ass". Not only is he new, he's probably underaged.
>>
>>29544648
Huh, genuinely didn't know that. Does the same apply for Miror B's Dragonite in GoD?
>>
>>29534607

The only foreshadowing going on was when the FF looking fucker came out of his office near the start of the game and you're lead to believe that it was the obvious bad guy threatning the mayor.
>>
>>29540796

If Gamefreak gave a fuck about Orre, they'd stop referring to Pokemon from its game as from a "Distant Land"
>>
Did anyone ever find out how repeat balls work if you trade them in? Are they always 1x or do they get the boost if the Pokemon you're trying to catch is in your PDA?
>>
>>29544697

Yeah, he comes back eventually if you don't swipe it. I don't know if you have to kill Greevil again to get him to return though.
>>
>>29544831
They can't really do anything about it now.
>>
File: 1470225098408.jpg (245KB, 797x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1470225098408.jpg
245KB, 797x1200px
If a Gen 7 Orre was made, what Pokemon would be available as Shadow Pokemon?
>>
>>29544996
Pick 50-something Pokemon not in Sun/Moon.
>>
>>29544996
A lot of Sinnoh would be there, I think. Starters, legendaries, Purugly, Skuntank and Lucario. Starters are only obtainable in ORAS outside gen IV and even only after beating Steven again.
Legendaries only appeared in Dream Radar and version exclusives in ORAS.
Purugly only appeared in Pearl, required a friend with the other version in gen V and Mirage Spot only in ORAS.
Also >>29545041.
>>
>>29545106
This, but also give everything at least a couple of new moves either through purifying or through its natural learnset, to make collecting these Pokemon more attractive.
>>
>>29533830
I did it more than ten years ago. Took me about 8 hours IIRC. Then my Ho-Oh ended up having a Serious nature. Could have been worse, I guess. Still have him in Alpha Sapphire.
>>
>>29534289
It wasn't hard, it just requires endurance. It's several hours where you need to be paying constant attention or you will get BTFO and have to start all over from the beginning. So long as you have decent type coverage it isn't too bad, but some trainers used legendaries and it is definitely one of the hardest challenges in any Pokemon game.
>>
Post grooves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuhqoZvyntA
>>
>>29544996
Common versions of Pokemon with Alolan forms, like a Raticate and Persian.
>>
>>29534015
I would say XD-001 was technically a mega shadow pokemon
>>
>>29544996
zoroark pls
>>
>>29539082
Some of these look great, but most ones like Murkrow and Ursaring look like they just put a shitty filter over them
>>
Pokemon Colosseum is too fucking underrated, it's a fantastic game
>>
>>29533830

I did it using 6 Pokemon from Colosseum that I sent to Ruby and raised to level 100.

>over 100 runs through E4 by the time I was done

Worth it.
>>
>>29547972

Why didn't you just use Pokemon caught in Ruby and grind them in Mt.Battle. The boosted exp from being traded Pokemon would be way easier.
>>
>>29532850
It makes sense why most people hate colloseum/xd
>>
>>29544996
Gen 4 if we don't get a Sinnoh remake in Gen 7, a few non alolan Gen 1 and Gen 5.
>>
>>29544648
There technically is one, as you have to choose between Togepi and Elekid. That was a pretty big deal in gen 4, when Tri Attack was one of Togekiss' best movies.
>>
>>29533830
I did it twice. Once in Story Mode because I misunderstood the challenge and didn't know Ho-oh only appeared in Battle and then in Battle to get Ho-Oh
>>
>>29534072
That seemed to come along once they started putting VGC support directly into the games.
Back in the day the stadium games would be used for the finals, and they'd even make special builds of the game just for that
https://youtu.be/B5ep7mNsRaY?t=79
>>
>>29550268
This is why it always bothers me that people act like no recharge Hyper Beam was a big deal in gen 1. Once Stadium was released, most tournaments utilized it and the online simulators reflected the updated mechanics.
>>
>>29544688
I think he was making fun of the alleged sonic fandom and how the "badass" aspects of Colosseum were at level where kids are at an age where a censor would be used.
>>
>>29548034
Someone who grinded to level 80 for mt battle here, because as long as the levels are equal, that's what matters.

You have to deal with battle animations, which you can shut off in Emerald. Besides, Emerald had the Rare Candy dupe glitch, which i used for the last 10 levels. Also, EV training in emerald is a nightmare
>>
File: 1470876553025.jpg (600KB, 555x555px) Image search: [Google]
1470876553025.jpg
600KB, 555x555px
Pokemon sun and moons battle tree is literally my moms mt. battle

and I fucking love it
>>
>>29551361
all the more reason there should at least be some sort of reference to the game
>>
File: Miror_B.jpg (173KB, 1059x754px) Image search: [Google]
Miror_B.jpg
173KB, 1059x754px
>>29551361
>Miror B one of zone bosses
>>
File: 1437307945730.jpg (24KB, 578x367px) Image search: [Google]
1437307945730.jpg
24KB, 578x367px
>>29534589
>mfw he skill swaps his Slaking
>>
That's the point. The Pokémon Company and Game Freak already had plans to release the Gen I remakes (FRLG) two months after Colosseum's release date.

Colosseum's only purpose was to give people access to (most) of the Gen II Pokémon that were not available in either RS or FRLG.
>>
A 3rd shadow Pokemon game is made but it takes place in the Ferrum region instead of Orre and Shadow Mewtwo is the box legend.

How do you feel?
>>
maybe that's why I loved it
>>
>>29533857
>trying to catch entei
>its partner pokémon kills it with earthquake
shit was infuriating
I miss it
>>
File: jojo ellipses.gif (2MB, 608x347px) Image search: [Google]
jojo ellipses.gif
2MB, 608x347px
>>29552759
>try to catch entei
>status it and get it to about 1/3
>it ends up killing itself with recoil
>>
>>29552576
Does Mewtwo get Psycho Boost too?
>>
>>29552782
holy shit I forgot about how every catchable pokémon had a recoil move
I never got to play gale of darkness though so I don't know if it was the same in that
>>
>>29552877
There were more Shadow moves than just Shadow Rush. Most of them didn't have recoil. Shadow Panic for example is Confuse Ray in Shadow move form.
>>
>>29534403
>shinies in colosseum become non shiny when you catch them
I'd be so mad
>>
>>29552986
That was only for XD. In Colosseum every single shadow pokemon gets Shadow Rush and three normal moves.
>>
>>29553165
I know. But >>29552877 had never played GoD and he was wondering if recoil moves were the same in GoD.
>>
>>29534607
>>29544776
After beating three Cipher admins you can go back to Phenac and Es Cade will no longer be at home. A lady right outside will tell you he stormed out looking mad as hell.
>>29552576
XD was already about 50% retreads of Colosseum locations, if they did a third Shadow Pokemon game I'd want it to take place in a new region.
>>
>>29544239

>WAKE ME UP
>CAN'T WAKE UP
>>
>>29532998
>>29533022
>>29533057
>>29533061
>>29533095
>>29533107
>>29533235
>>29534024
Orre sucks dick. Kys, contrarian biatch.
>>
File: stop liking what i don't like.jpg (125KB, 321x360px) Image search: [Google]
stop liking what i don't like.jpg
125KB, 321x360px
>>29553512
>>
>>29553559
Let's play "spot the bummad orre shill"
>>
File: 1476165094501.png (111KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
1476165094501.png
111KB, 600x500px
>>29553608
>shill

are you that "SuMo" shitposter? are you angry that the games are doing well?
>>
>>29553608
jokes on you i never play either of them because i never owned a gamecube
>>
File: 1470838153623.gif (2MB, 374x254px) Image search: [Google]
1470838153623.gif
2MB, 374x254px
https://youtu.be/9Qst-2zmM-k

>mfw entering pyrite town for the first time
>>
Oh, hey. This thread isn't dead.

>>29542112
The number was still limited, they just gave some better mons to use that are OPTIONAL. Most of the best ones are towards the very end of the game anyway.
Colosseum led with some of its best Pokemon being available to you right from the get-go. XD intentionally leads with a myriad of shitmon.

>imo, that made it have more replay value. Colosseum felt too short.
Colosseum was compact and efficient in what it did. It's never felt too short to me in replays. XD's story is too messy to me - I find it too much to consider replaying.

>Elaborate how exactly. Their plans were exactly the same in both games.
I get what you're saying, but let me explain simply: Citadark Island. Cipher in Colosseum is a ratty team carving into the numerous dark corners of a realistically economically downtrodden backwards region. Cipher in XD builds a Death Star over a volcano.

>So you just used the Master Ball on Lugia every time?
Yeah, you got my point. You get Lugia during the story, whereas Ho-Oh was a reward for clearing a 100-trainer Battle Mode.
>>
File: unviable.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
unviable.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>29553750
The first three pokemon in XD are shitmon, including the uncontested shitmon king, but nearly everything after that can be comfortably taken to the end of the game. I've played through XD four times with an almost entirely different lineup on each run.
>>
>they will never bring back the Sun/Moon Shard
>you will always have to grind happiness for umbreon/espeon
>>
>>29554523
>Teddiursa
>shitmon
Ursaring rips through everything in this game with Return.
>>
>>29544996
Shadow UB-02 Expansion
>>
I really need to replay this shit, but it was pretty grindy if I'm remembering correctly.
>>
>>29554523
Am I the only one who hated that a lot of XD Pokemon were just the unevolved forms of Colosseum Pokemon?
>Eevee/Umbreon and Espeon
>Teddiursa/Ursaring
>Ledyba/Ledian
>Makuhita/Hariyama
>>
>>29555278
There was also Houndoom/Houndour, Mareep/Flaaffy, and Swinub/Piloswine
>>
>>29555278
>>29555578
Pineco/Forretress, Spinarak/Ariados, Togepi/Togetic too and non-Shadows Trapinch/Vibrava, Meditite, Wooper/Quagsire Shuckle and Larvitar/Tyranitar are also obtainable.
But I agree, they should have made one of the spots Onix, Slowbro, Nidoking/Nidoqueen or the Kanto starters to make it possible every Kantomon and Johtomon (outside Unown and the Mythicals) not in RS is catchable in Orre.
>>
>>29534015
Mega Shadow Mewtwo is in Pokkén. Clearly GF does remember they exist, so there is hope
>>
>>29532850
Certain Colloseum/XD Pokémon can't make it through BWs hack detection systems if they keep their original movesets. It's really bloody annoying
>>
>>29556700
I thought it was just Shiny Jirachi from the Colo bonus disk that couldn't make it through the hack checks. Which other Pokemon from the games don't work??
>>
File: your ideas intruige me.jpg (65KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
your ideas intruige me.jpg
65KB, 500x333px
>>29543856
Completely spot on
>>
>>29534607
Greevil was the most obvious fucking villain in any form of media. Are you dense?
>>
>>29556700
Wait, really? Which ones?
>>
>>29532850
>pokemon XD gale of darkness is the only pokemon game i've played with roms...
I'm still clearly a fan right?
right?
>>
>>29557951
It's understandable. That game is ridiculously expensive now. Which is why I'm glad I held onto my original copy.
>>
>>29557951
>>29558256
hey it could be worse
I've played gen 1-3 on rom

funny enough pokemon XD gale of darkness is the only game I've played without a rom
>>
>>29543856
I have nothing else to add other than "this".
>>
>>29553512
I've never met anyone who disliked the GC games. You're the contrarian here.
>>
>>29534607
Greevil was pretty obvious (when you first meet him at that port). I think Nascour leaving the Mayor's office that one time was foreshadowing
>>
>>29535212
REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>29552576
Orre is not really an important part of what makes the games good so I don't really care.
I mean, the cities are nice and all but kinda empty. If you change the region I'd only miss the music, so as long as you keep the core elements, the music quality and Miror B I'll play it
>>
File: Mt Battle.jpg (357KB, 2540x684px) Image search: [Google]
Mt Battle.jpg
357KB, 2540x684px
>>29532850
>>
File: Someday Gen 8.png (2MB, 1056x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Someday Gen 8.png
2MB, 1056x1300px
>>29532850
Someday...
>>
>>29533672
>>
>>29562465
>PBR didn't have destructible environments or pokemon actually hitting each other
Literally nothing good came out of that entire generation.
>>
If you have nintendont on a Wii, you can connect a emulated Colo/XD to the gameboy advance games
>>
>>29562555
>doesnt work well with my 3rd party link cable

I got a Swalot/Delcatty/Chansey off GoD, and that was all it allowed
>>
>>29562532
They thought the Wii could handle it.
>>
>>29562555
>>29562612
Th newest test version of PKHeX supports the Gamecube games now, so you could just inject your GBA teams.
>>
File: feelsgood.jpg (651KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
feelsgood.jpg
651KB, 1920x1080px
>>29532850
>>29532998
>people other than me actually like this game
Thread posts: 229
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.