[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

???

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

File: decidueye.png (69KB, 300x269px) Image search: [Google]
decidueye.png
69KB, 300x269px
I love the design. it love the typing. i just don't get it. why is it a ghost type? it doesn't look dead. or like a spirit of any kind. its description doesn't say anything that would make sense for it to be a ghost.
What gives?
>>
>>29507445
Based specifically on a pueo owl. In hawaiian mythology, these owls are the vessels of their ancestor's spirits. Also it's a deadeye. And it basically turns invisible and masks it's very presence like a ghost going incorporeal and invisble
>>
>>29507445
Again.
>stealth
>owls are an omen of Death
>archery is spiritual as fuck in Japan
>snipers are associated with death more than any other kind of soldier
>>
>>29507445
The only losers complaining about Decidueye's typing are butthurt Luchalitten and Popplimaidfags who are trying to deflect from their starters being the worst.
>>
>>29507677
It doesn't go incorporeal. Or at least it's not outright said. It's just stealthy. Noctowl was described as a silent, stealthy flyer as well because that's just what owls do. Also it's information doesn't describe it as being associated with spirits or anything.
>>
>>29507445
it is ghost type because it has ghost powers
just like how slowbro has psychic powers and umbreon has dark powers and gyarados has flying powers and exeggutor has dragon powers
>>
>>29507739
>>29507697
Greninja is a stealthy ninja. who also were considered to have supernatural powers. but he's just a dark type. why make this owl a ghost type for being stealthy? still doesn't make sense
>>
>>29507772
Because both types convey being stealth and it's nice to change
>>
>>29507772
Might as well ask why Accelgor is pure Bug.
>>
>>29507844
This baka desu senpai
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueo

>The pueo (Asio flammeus sandwichensis) is a subspecies of the short-eared owl that is endemic to Hawaii. The pueo is one of more famous of the various physical forms assumed by ʻaumākua (ancestor spirits) in Hawaiian culture.

He's a spirit owl.
>>
>>29507739
I said like I did not say it did. But it takes the stealthy flight of owls to an extreme where it gives off no trace until you are in it's sights and shadow imagery which fits this sort of behaviour is most tied to ghost types as the majority of moves that are shadow themed are ghost type. Also something that is closing in silenty that you cannot see. A monster with the ability to klll you easily without you even realising it's there seems like a pretty fitting creepy image for a ghost type mon. I'll admit it is the least obvious ghost type. Also don't forget that it's Pokedex entries could go more into it's relationship with spirits.
>>
Froslass and Jellicent don't look dead but they are Ghost types. A ghost type doesn't have to be an actual ghost.
>>
>>29507860
>it even looks like it has a hoodie
We're done here
>>
>>29507445
It's biology has properties similar to other pokémon who have been classified as Ghost type

If not that, then spooky shadow powers
>>
>>29507906
The only confirmed actual ghost Ghost Pokemon are Drifloon, Yamask, and Phantump - plus, the ghost Marowak in Pokemon Tower.

Sableye is a perfect example of a Ghost that's not a ghost. In the games, its just a gem-eating goblin. It's a Dark type because its selfish and greedy, but why Ghost?

Because it's a Goblin? It's also based on the Hopkinsville Goblin alien, so it's an alien? Is that really grounds for Ghost?

Ghost, like Psychic and now Fairy, is essentially the broad "magical/spiritual" type.

This isn't surprising, considering that in Japanese folklore, spirits of the dead are among other spirits that are just supernatural creatures.
>>
>>29507445
They couldn't make it a flying type because owls aren't birds
>>
>>29507445
>owls are seen as omens of death
>stealthy
>snipers are super deadly
>based off of a dead species of owl
>owls are spooky as fuck
>>
>>29507445
>The Hawaiian owl or 'pueo' is a legendary guardian spirit or 'aumakua' in Hawaii. It's appearance is believed to be an omen as well.
>Common names such as "demon owl", "death owl", or "ghost owl" show that traditionally, rural populations in many places considered barn owls to be birds of evil omen.
>Owls have great cultural significance in Asia. In Japanese culture some owls are seen as divine messengers while others, particularly Barn or Horned owls, are viewed as demons. In India a white owl is considered a companion and a form of Laksmi, the goddess of wealth, and is therefore an omen of prosperity and good fortune. But owls can also represent wisdom or, paradoxically, foolishness.

>In the Middle East owls have been connected with evil spirits for centuries and are still treated warily because of a perceived ferocity of appearance. In Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia, owls are known as ‘ghost birds’.
>>
>Owls are spooky
Not this one

>Slit owl are extinct
Not enough, other Pokemon also are extinct animals
If is a Pueo myth it not incorporated nor mentioned

>It's sneaky
So it's greninja, umbreon is dark type because it's a night Pokémon
Sneaky is not spooky
hiding in shadows is dark,being a shadow and paranormal is ghost

>Owl are an omen
That's dark,you know absol

>It's a deadeye snipers/archery is spiritual
If so why is no incorporated or mentioned

>Shadow powers
That one move is ghost because Decidueye is ghost
Archer's aren't known for their shadow powers nor spooky channeling

Greninja dark type makes it's a ninja, darkrai it's the void/new moon. What makes Decidueye ghost because is an nocturnal bird that is not much or good justification
The move is what make it ghost not the desing nor inspiration it doesn't help that is Dex entry only say it's an owl, and nothing ghostly/spiritual by Pokémon standard

Everyone knew the over the top villain is dark the magical myth creature is fairy people only started guessing ghost because we were told it's connect to shadows

Decidueye is ghost type ok is fitting for on owl, but not this one, and it's unique dual typing my issue issue is THAT ROWLET AND DARTRIX WHERE A BETTER FITTING TYPE
At least sensu ori. dance is spiritual. Decidueye it's only an owl

It's ghost typing is tag on especially concerning it's pre-evo types more fitting for it, plus torchic and plipup weren't flying even if there flightless birds, doduo/trio are solely because there birds it
It least now it doesn't have a 4x weakness, and now has 2 immunity

at it stands makes no sense, why did a starter changed it's 2nd type in it's last evo they could have at least not given flying type to rowlet and dartrix

Is this GF not caring any more considering that tapu bulu is grass no fire (it flamethrower I mean come on) and fini is water not ghost and pikipek evolves into a literal toucan (a Pokémon that evolves into an animal)
>>
File: Thimble Thought.png (248KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Thimble Thought.png
248KB, 500x375px
>>29507860
What's cool is that Hawaii only has 2 owl species, the barn owl and the Peuo owl, the latter of which is endemic to Hawaii. And they combined both Hawaiian owls into one entire family line. And it's a starter.

Pic related
>>
File: 1376477591213.gif (2MB, 426x639px) Image search: [Google]
1376477591213.gif
2MB, 426x639px
>>29510666
>Not this one
Barn owl aren't spooky but they are called ghost owl.
>>
File: 1200px-Oricorio-Sensu.png (528KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Oricorio-Sensu.png
528KB, 1200x1200px
>>29507445
I love the design. it love the typing. i just don't get it. why is it a ghost type? it doesn't look dead. or like a spirit of any kind. its description doesn't say anything that would make sense for it to be a ghost.
What gives?
>>
>>29510833
Explicitly said to conjure spirits so copying the op here doesn't work as it is described as having to do with ghosts.
>>
>>29508406
How is Gengar line not a Ghost?
>>
>>29507772
Because of this >>29507677

Read the thread BEFORE you post goofball.
>>
>>29511067
Gastly is living poison and then it just condenses as it evolves.
>>
>>29511007
>to be a ghost
It does make sense regardless of your autism.
>>
File: Sniper_Ghost_Warrior.jpg (43KB, 256x315px) Image search: [Google]
Sniper_Ghost_Warrior.jpg
43KB, 256x315px
>>
>>29511355
The fuck are you talking about
>>
Im gonna name mine Malfestio
>>
File: jellicent.jpg (32KB, 300x274px) Image search: [Google]
jellicent.jpg
32KB, 300x274px
>>29507445

What gives?
>>
>>29511476
Dex says it sucks souls aand haunts sunken ships.
>>
>>29511476
gamefreak admitted that it wasnt originally. the ghost type was added later as an effort to balance the gen 5 pokedex
>>
>>29507677
>Based specifically on a pueo owl

How? What part of its design is specifically Pueo owl? It doesn't convey that at all. It's just a fucking owl archer.
>>
>>29511328
Living gas works for ghost. Being non-corporeal is a hallmark of ghosts.
>>
>>29511546
Also this but at least they bothered to tack on flavor text to make it sound spooky.
>>
>>29507445
In general owls around the globe are considered spooky. And there are many folk stories and legends about owls being messengers of death, or spirits. Their hooting is spooky, and they fly silently which is also very spooky. They are also not birds because they can turn their head like they do and their ears are on different levels so they can hear everything.
Specifically in Hawaii, the Pueo owl is considered to be a physical manifestation of an ancestor spirit. In Japan owls have been messengers and protectors from spirits.
Rowlet and Dartrix resemble the barn owl, which has many nicknames, one being ghost owl.

Archery in Japan is a largely spiritual practice, and has always been. In Kyudo one's goal is to clear their mind and shoot the spirit forth. This connects to Decidueye's ability to bind spirits in place with its arrows.
Think Hanzo/Kikyo type of characters and you'll get the archery thing, hopefully.

On top of all that tying into its typing, Decidueye's long legs also add the extinct stilt-owl in the mix of the line's inspirations. The stilt-owls were endemic to Hawaii.
>>
>>29511646
>regurgitating the same tired straw grasping

see >>29510666
>>
>>29511546
I remember this, Mana Ibe was pissed about this since she originally said that they were supposed to be based on a princess/prince and queen/king respectively, that explains the notorious gender differences.
>>
>>29511679
>>29510666
>not this one
Pokemon's design doesn't negate the lore.

>Stilt-owls have nothing to do with the type, except maybe for losing flying because they lived mainly on the ground

>hiding in shadows is dark
No it's not. Dark is underhanded play, check every other dark pokemon. Most Dark pokemon are thieves, assholes, or assassins (like ninjas are, they also used poison and hiding to strike, very Dark)
Wherein owls are naturally silent, like a ghost. That's why owls have so many nicknames.

>Omens and messengers/spirits of the dead = foul play obviously
No, that's not dark. Absol just brings bad news, it doesn't cause them. It just knows they're coming. Dunno enough about Absol lore to say anything else.

>Archery's spirituality isn't mentioned
It isn't because it is a no-brainer for Japanese and Asian audiences. Dartrix's entry elaborates on the archery reference, in showing that its quill-throwing skills are amazing, but that it still has a long way to go in focus. Focus being incredibly important in archery.
I agree however that Decidueye's entry is really lacking.
>>
>>29511604
Gastly is a ghost fart. The fart that you smell when you're alone and know that you didn't fart.
>>
>>29510666
I don't know. No one's talking about Golurk and he isn't spooky in the slightest. His flavor text doesn't even hint at spookiness. It's even man-made. Yet he's a Ghost because he's the remains of a dead civilization, and Decidueye's a Ghost because of its proficiency in stealth.

And it's not any worse that trying to peg why Mawile and Lucario are Steel. We've also seen that theme can play an important part of a Pokemon's typing thanks to Solgaleo with the whole Lion Eating the Sun thing.
>>
File: file.png (91KB, 236x353px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
91KB, 236x353px
>>29511568
The facial markings and wing dots yo.
>>
Not all typings are literal you know? Ghost type represents shadowy and mysterious Pokemon or have a very Halloween feel.
>>
>>29507445
>I don't get why this thing that hasn't been explained yet is a mystery, it irritates me

Maybe it'll be explained in the dex, or maybe yet again its based on some naming pun or small legend.

Maybe it just happened because they knew people shit on Flying type so hard and keep chirping "4x weakness, absolute shit", so they gave us something unexpected.
>>
Not this shit again.
Fuck this shit I'm out.
>>
>>29507906
Froslass is a ghost her jap name is literally yukiona a name derived from Yuki onna which is a jap ghost.
>>
Because it gets STAB when it uses ghost moves. Easy
>>
>>29507730
#1 Primarina fan here, Fairy is excellent for it.
The ghost typing on this owl is what makes me wanna choose this piece of shit. Good riddance to Flying.
>>
Seriously if rowlet and dartix wernt flying it would have been better being a Pueo is the only justification even it's Dex entry doesn't help because all it says it's an owl
If it's subtle it's too subtle, eggsecutor is better because it's literally a dragon tree and we where explain why egg coconut turn into egg palm
Other ghost types are ghostly or spiritual
Yes we can have variety just like not every flying type is a bird nor dual normal, but he is not ghost in any way if is because of the Pueo myth they should have incorporated into the design or at least mentioned

Again
>Owls are spooky but not this one
>It is a Pueo but not based of or mentioned it's association with spirits
>Flying was a better type for it's design an concept
>Multiple defenses are bad because I described it as a dark type
>The other two were more obvious an over the top villain/heel wrestler and a magical myth creature/mermaid selkie
>rowlet and dartrix were already flying
>It's unique move is not relate to it's concept it's a ninja technique, and doesn't use the the defining feature of ghost types besides an enemy's shadow
>IT'S ONLY AN OWL ARCHER

They could have done better
>>
File: file.png (304KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
304KB, 500x332px
>>29512069
Here you can see the dots.
>>
File: 1477087104628.jpg (53KB, 394x395px) Image search: [Google]
1477087104628.jpg
53KB, 394x395px
>>29507445
It's based off the stilt owl. A native species of owl from Hawaii. It's now extinct giving it a ghost typing
>>
>>29512328
NIGGER NO. THE STILT-OWLS ARE NOT A PART OF THE TYPE. >>29511936
>Stilt-owls have nothing to do with the type, except maybe for losing flying because they lived mainly on the ground
>>
File: VWr6I.gif (1MB, 325x203px) Image search: [Google]
VWr6I.gif
1MB, 325x203px
>>29512370
Chill out, friend, it's just a video game.
>>
>>29511443
>its description doesn't say anything that would make sense for it to be a ghost
>>
>>29512541
Yeah, sorry. I need to chill. It just takes a toll on me to know that this is still getting circulated because I was an idiot and thought that I could make a joke "haha it's based on an extinct owl so now it's dead". Like it's my responsibility. Thank you for understanding anon.
>>
>>29511646
>They are also not birds
Stop this meme
>>
>>29511936
OK here >>29512233

But my other points in rowlet and doduo being flying, however torchick and plipplup aren't.

Why greninja,umbreon and darkrai are dark because of there association with darkness at least a understand your point on greninja and absol but the absol one still stands, and considering existing ghost types I can see it

And my point on shadow powers that it's move painfully tagged on that specific move for no good reason besides being ghost type
Also flying IS a better type for it's design and concept but ghost is fine really they could have not given rowlet and dartrix the flying type an it would matter

Having heel wrestler dark and a mermaid fairy is fine, but and ARCHER with ghost is weird especially if it's not emphasized

Plus stealth was never associate with ghost only dark is ghost because Owls are an eerie animal and that's not enough and if is they could elaborated more with owl myths and spiritual archer

It really bugs me that it lost it's flying for ghost being a starter when ghost owl could have been executed better

O and also
>Is this GF not caring any more considering that tapu bulu is grass no fire (it flamethrower I mean come on) and fini is water not ghost and pikipek evolves into a literal toucan (a Pokémon that evolves into an animal)
>>
>>29514036
First off I agree that they could've done more to add to the design. Dead leaves or just darker colours in general, but I guess since it's a starter it has to be bright.

Torchic doesn't fly because it's a chicken, and Piplup is a penguin. Flying isn't a 1:1 bird deal. Rowlet is an owlet that can fly, and Doduo just fucking spins its neck or something. Well the real answer is that back in Gen I days the Flying type was literally Bird type. It got changed and broadened. So that's why Doduo is Bird/Flying type.

It's a misconception that the Dark-type is associated with darkness and such. In Japanese it's "Evil" type, which kind of illustrates their nature. I don't remember Darkrai too well and can't be assed to google but I agree if it isn't also ghost that's weird. Or maybe it's just literally an embodiment of evil or something.

If you don't get the spiritual archery thing, I guess it's okay. Personally I think dropping the flying-type is clever since it now occupies it's arms/wings with shooting, and because it gets long legs (stilt-owl, which stayed mostly on ground). But I get why that'd piss you off.

I don't get the stealth/sniper shit either, but owls being silent as the night and shit is legit. I don't think it's too much of a reach, just that the design is a tad bit too plain for it.

Tapu Bulu is a flamethrower? I thought it was a bull or something. And Fini is a swordfish/marlin.
>>
>>29512154
SAME
>>
>>29507445

Imho the ghost type makes more sense then the grass typing. But I guess they really wanted to make this guy a starter, and didn't want to break the grass/fire/water formula.
>>
>>29507445
It's got shadow powers.
>>
>>29510666

>Sneaky is not spooky
hiding in shadows is dark,being a shadow and paranormal is ghost

Stfu satan. Dark is about heavyness and edge. Ghost is about spirituality.
>>
>>29507445
Because when one has you in it's sights, you are likely as good as dead, perhaps?
>>
>>29507445
"Owls are not what they seem"
>>
Deciduous can refer to leaves that fall off annually, as in dead leaves or fall leaves. That's probably the most direct corilation I have.
>>
>>29516948
Underrated post.
>>
>>29514355
Here >>29510666 >>29512233

All defenses are the same all being
>Owls are spooky
>ghostly sneaky
Stealth is not part of ghost types morphit it's only on Decidueye because shadows (and that's improbable) just like dark=ninja to Greninja do not apply to ninjask accelgor
>Nocturnal hunter
>Sniper are deadly
The only valid one is the Pueo myth because it the only one that directly ties spirits with Decidueye

Bulu limbs are flamethrowers and not a plants, fini is guardian of the most spiritual island and it's not aquatic, they're supposed to share types with threre respective oricorio

>>29510785
>>29511476
>>29511646
>>29511936
>>29512059
Problem here is there's no lore, ppl are making conclusion as logicol as they can, the design is of an show archer. And spooky is not in that literal sense, but as a ghost type. People were arguing incineroar dark typing because he's a wrestler ignoring that he is a heel, but owl3 is not an specific bowmen that we could infer it's connection to spirits and intern ghost type, plus it's Dex entry only says it's an owl and personality trait
A living ghost and living stone makes sense for gen1-6 standard at least Pringles has an entry of a ghost type
>>
File: S02e14_Archer_ghost.png (458KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
S02e14_Archer_ghost.png
458KB, 640x480px
Obviously it's based on this.
>>
File: Naamloos-2.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Naamloos-2.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>29517492

Owlbviously
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.