[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Robinhoot's bullshit typing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 350
Thread images: 61

File: idontevenpokemon.png (867KB, 1000x900px) Image search: [Google]
idontevenpokemon.png
867KB, 1000x900px
Designer - "Yo Masuda check out these wicked designs, here's this awesome burly fire/fighting wrestling cat, this sneaky stealthy grass/dark sniper owl and I wanted the water seal to be fairy type so I just turned him into a girl!"
Masuda - "Sorry dude, I know its becoming a tradition but fans will throw a shitstorm if we have another fire/fighting starter. How about you make him fire/dark? just come up with some bullshit about how he fights dirty."
Designer - "B-but, the grass starter already has dark as a secondary type"
Masuda - "Hmmm... just switch it to ghost, uh, owls are kinda spooky... I guess."
Designer - "Done and done. Thanks senpai you're a genius, it's no wonder you're heading the pokemon franchise."
>>
>>29485518
Seems fine to me
>>
>>29485504

I can easily see it getting Brave Bird. Grass/Ghost/Flying is only resisted by the Bisharp line. And there's a good chance it will get a fighting move as well
>>
>>29485518
reposting this doesn't make it any less retarded
>>29483545
>>
The shitposting level of this board is unreal sometimes.
>>
File: haunter.gif (76KB, 482x412px) Image search: [Google]
haunter.gif
76KB, 482x412px
fuck off Robin you are not a real ghost and you never will be
>>
File: 1477605844066.png (86KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
1477605844066.png
86KB, 680x510px
>>29485518
>He just assumes the reason for the types
I love this argument
>>
>>29485518
>>29485466
>they are not referenced at all on the japanese names
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadashi_Sawamura
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Ebihara
>>
>>29485518
>bullshit about fighting dirty
Being a "heel" is a legit thing in wrestling that's not a bullshit reason at all.

As for the owl I'm honestly shocked that more people don't know they're closely associated with death and spirits in many cultures. Owl's are right up there with bats and spiders in spookiness.

I'll give you that they could have thrown some black or purple into his design just to make him more consistent with the look of other ghost types but the concept of a grass/ghost owl is still great none the less and I love him.
>>
File: NOTAGHOST.png (915KB, 900x752px) Image search: [Google]
NOTAGHOST.png
915KB, 900x752px
And? What is the point if he doesn't even have any Ghost-type aspects to him in his design? He doesn't fucking look like a Ghost-type by no possible angle, same with the shitty cat receiving the Dark-type. It is clear they just realized they fucked up with their designs and went with a retarded type-decision they should've went when making the FUCKING DESIGNS IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Now we are stuck with a Fire/Dark pokemon that looks like Fire/Fighting and a Grass/Ghost pokemon that looks like a Grass/Flying. Absolute GARBAGE.
Why couldn't this be dark-type? what makes this mroe ghost than dark? Every single ghost type in Pokemon is associated with or does something something paranormal. I can't think of one exception. Some of them are more literal ghosts than others like Cofagrigus versus Jellicent who is just ghost because its said to feed on souls. Jellicent is notable because it actually wasn't concepted as a Ghost-type, but made Ghost to balance out types in the Pokedex of BW, so that's about as far to that side spectrum of being Ghost type versus the opposite side of being an actual ghost as you can possibly get that and STILL has the the soul sucker that haunts sunken ships thing to try and justify it. Decidueye has nothing. We know the concept of ill omens and such are at least as Dark as it is Ghost because of stuff like Absol and Murkrow, and at least they acknowledge that that's the concept behind them. Decidueye doesn't say anything about it being a bad omen or having spiritual associations or anything.
>>
It's a Ghost type because it's a forest sniper with piercing red eyes. Owls are also commonly associated with death, particularly in Hawaii.

http://www.coffeetimes.com/mar98.htm

>The owl is both considered a messenger of doom
>Such are the stories of the Hawaiian owl, a bird of power. When you hear the scream of silence, the rustle of soundless wings, an effortless shadow gliding by, look up in the high blue skies, follow the owl's smooth dive. Pueo's presence might be there for you.
>>
Yep that's what happened
>>
>>29485518
Baracat and ghostowl are better than charizard and venusaur.

Not forgiving that waifu trash though
>>
>>29485689
Man, you are thirst for some (You)'s, shit.
This is literally a hissy fit, take your meds anon.
>>
OP, nice bait mate
>>
>>29485689
It's not that big of a deal
>>
>IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A GHOST SO WHY IS IT A GHOST REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Who cares? Grass/Ghost is an awesome typing.
>>
I absolutely agree with OP in that it shouldn't be a ghost type, as it has nothing to do with any spirits gaining a non-living body (or not). "Spooky" is an aspect of dark types as well, even if ghosts make it a stronger theme due to being otherworldly spirits of some kind. And from what I can tell of the animations and design, it doesn't look THAT creepy or ghostly, even if it is silent in how it moves.

But what IS plainly visible from this design and animations is the flying bird aspect, being an owl that makes use of its wings to get around as well as attack. So by all means, as much as someone may try to justify the weird ghost label, it should absolutely be Flying type.

However, not only have I given up on trying to make sense of some of GF's creative decisions this gen, I also actually like this freakish curve ball that they threw out with Dicidueye. I like the Ghost typing, even though it doesn't make sense, and I'm sorta glad they did it.

I just wish they had used another animal for the grass ghost, that made more sense perhaps, and then made an actual ghost owl for another pokemon line.
>>
File: 1450618349564.gif (2MB, 303x277px) Image search: [Google]
1450618349564.gif
2MB, 303x277px
>>29485690
>I need a super obscure reference that's not even mentioned on the official info to justify it
>>
If it stuck with Grass/Flying I wouldn't be choosing it. This typing won me over.
>>
>>29485814
Now I know this thread is bullshit.
Fuck you and goodnight.
>>
File: 1476771405393.jpg (8KB, 148x154px) Image search: [Google]
1476771405393.jpg
8KB, 148x154px
>>29485370
How have so many people not figured that out yet?
>>
I absolutely agree with OP in that it shouldn't be a ghost type, as it has nothing to do with any spirits gaining a non-living body (or not). "Spooky" is an aspect of dark types as well, even if ghosts make it a stronger theme due to being otherworldly spirits of some kind. And from what I can tell of the animations and design, it doesn't look THAT creepy or ghostly, even if it is silent in how it moves.

But what IS plainly visible from this design and animations is the flying bird aspect, being an owl that makes use of its wings to get around as well as attack. So by all means, as much as someone may try to justify the weird ghost label, it should absolutely be Flying type.

However, not only have I given up on trying to make sense of some of GF's creative decisions this gen, I also actually like this freakish curve ball that they threw out with Dicidueye. I like the Ghost typing, even though it doesn't make sense, and I'm sorta glad they did it.

I just wish they had used another animal for the grass ghost, that made more sense perhaps, and then made an actual ghost owl for another pokemon line.
>>
File: 39.png (201KB, 540x300px) Image search: [Google]
39.png
201KB, 540x300px
>>29485518
>everyone complains litten will be another fire/fighting
>he becomes fire/dark and rowlet becomes grass/ghost
>complaining about how litten isn't becoming fire/fighting
fuck off
>>
>>29485814
>he thinks owls being spooky is an obscure concept

Officaial ranking of spooky animals
>spiders
>bats
>crows/ravens
>owls

everyone knows this anon, certainly everyone who lives in a country that does Halloween.
>>
File: not_this_shit_again.png (263KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
not_this_shit_again.png
263KB, 1000x562px
>>
>>29485893
There is literally no way to satisfy these faggots with anything.
>>
>>29485814
You don't need dick to justify it. Nothing in Pokemon needs to be justified.

But if you are autistic like OP and NEED justification then you have to actually look for it. Not to mention that's not that obscure. Owls native to Hawaii have legends and myths about them. Do you really think they wouldn't work that in?
>>
>>29485925
No, anon just doesnt want to admit that he is wrong and continuosly blabber about the same point.
>>
>>29485814
>I need to ignore topical, tropical folklore to support my autistic argument
Well hey I guess Gengar can't be a Ghost-type since you have to look up what a doppelganger is. Same with Sableye in that you would have to look up that it's based off of the Hopkinsville goblin, which is just spooky in that it's a cryptid so a Bigfoot Pokemon can be a Ghost-type. Same goes for Drifloon, too, since it's just a fucking balloon who's only a Ghost because of in-universe reasons.
>>
>>29486005
But see anon all of those mons are purple/black. That's what this is really about. He doesn't LOOK like a ghost type, he's not purple.

Not saying I agree but I think that's what people are upset about and where the idea comes from that he wasn't intended to be a ghost from the start.
>>
>>29486061
>He doesn't LOOK like a ghost type, he's not purple.
neither does/is golurk
>>
>>29486079
True. I usually associate golurk more with ground. At least it lets him get STAB boosted iron fist shadow punches or No Guard dynamic punches.
>>
>>29485593
I think it'll be OU just because of Spirit Shackle. Then again, its stat spread seems a little too weird to do very well
>higher HP than Primarina
>high Attack
>lower Speed than Incineroar
>>
File: Ghost owl.png (25KB, 332x527px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost owl.png
25KB, 332x527px
>>29486061
Just get a shiny. Instead of being grass coloured, it's ghost coloured. The black only becomes prominent in Decidueye, even.

Problem solved.
>>
I like how a dragon can look like literally anything in this series but a ghost HAS to be a purple or black amorphous floating shape or be some haunted/possessed object. You need some creativity.
>>
>>29486079
That's true, although he does kinda have a glow to him which I guess is a bit ghostly but yea compared to other ghosts he doesn't really fit.

Still I think when you think ghost type in pokemon you think black/purple thing with a face on it and this owl is none of those so that's why people are upset. Personally I think he's awesome but I admit he does look pretty out of place by the other ones.
>>
>>29485593
>I can easily see it getting Brave Bird.
>brave bird
> this thing hides in the shadows and has a skittish nature.
>>
I liked it more when all the starters looked menacing and equally powerful. Meganium was the first shitty one and then all went to shit after that.

Now it's one for the faggot, one for the grill/weirdo and one for "that kid"
>>
>>29486170
>honchkrow gets murkrow to do it's bidding
>mandibuzz prey on weakened pokemon
>gets brave bird
>>
>>29486194
Their looks become more diverse as they become more specialized.
>>
>>29486194
cannon turtle and flower frog don't look as menacing as fire dragon
>>
>>29485518
It's a hooded archer. It's Ghost because it's stealthy, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>29486155
Of course, but designing a literal grass/flying and slapping a ghost type on it is the wrong way to do it.
Pumpkaboo and Phantump line DO look like ghosts, this thing doesn't.

Designs are supposed to correspond their typing so people can easily tell what they are at first sight, I'm pretty sure most people couldn't tell this thing was a ghost at all.
>>
>>29486122
>a damaging Mean Look will get it into OU
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>29485814
>he's never been hunted by an owl
consider yourself fucking lucky kid, i came out of hiding to warn you to watch your back around th
>>
>>29486170
>Crobat literally isn't a bird
>>
>>29486355

are you dumb
>>
>>29486352
>Designs are supposed to correspond their typing so people can easily tell what they are at first sight

Ahh, you're right. Look at this tree. It's definitely a Grass type.
>>
>>29486352
>but designing a literal grass/flying
>this bird uses it's wings as bows when it attacks, which makes it the perfect flying type
it's not a flying type because it cannot attack and fly at the same time
>>
File: 103Exeggutor-Alola.png (325KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
103Exeggutor-Alola.png
325KB, 1280x1280px
>>29486460
Forgot the picture of the tree, sorry.
>>
>>29486391
explain how that will be useful if it doesn't get a good BP, which is most definitely not confirmed
>>
>>29486493
>picture of the tree
no anon, that's obviously a dragon
don't be dumb
>>
File: 160Feraligatr.png (819KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
160Feraligatr.png
819KB, 1280x1280px
>>29486352
You're right. This guy looks pretty mean, he must be a Dark type!
>>
>>29486352
>Voltorb and Electrode
>Designed like a Normal type yet they slapped the Electric type on it

Pokemon would be a hell lot more creatively restrictive if they couldn't get abstract or subtle with their design-typings every once in awhile.
>>
>>29486495
Seems likely it will.
>>
File: 206Dunsparce.png (485KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
206Dunsparce.png
485KB, 1080x1080px
>>29486352
This guy has wings, he's gotta be a Flying type!
>>
>>29486560
Also seemed likely that it was going to be Grass/Flying.
>>
File: 207Gligar.png (564KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
207Gligar.png
564KB, 1080x1080px
>>29486352
A flying scorpion? He's Posion/Flying for sure!
>>
>>29486122

>slower than Incineroar
>Its website entry makes a lot of notes about its speed while Incineroar's doesn't mention it
>>
File: 306Aggron.png (212KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
306Aggron.png
212KB, 431x431px
>>29486352
This guy's made of metal, he must be a pure Steel type!
>>
Here's a riddle: What soars through the night sky without a sound, has a horrific screech, and can pull off creepy feats like turning its head almost completely around?
Decidueye, and owls in general, are seen worldwide as spooky non-birds, and anyone denying such has only been exposed to them through Winnie the Pooh and Tootsie Pop commercials. They even have folklore in Hawaii concerning them being ghostly phantoms. It has more in common with a standard Grass-type than either Trevanant or Gourgeist lines, but it and the animal it's based off of exhibit enough Ghost-type attributes to have it as a secondary typing. Rowlet and Dartrix may not have been designed with the Ghost-type in mind, but Decidueye clearly was, even from a visual standpoint with its hood hiding part of its face in shadows and being themed after a silent killer instead of a noble hunter. Birds and other things with wings like owls don't have to be Flying-types just because of wings, else we'd have Dragon/Flying Giratina, Fire/Flying Blaziken, Bug/Flying Vikavolt, etc.
>>
>>29486308
"stealthy" has never been enough to define ghost type.
>>
File: 376Metagross.png (670KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
376Metagross.png
670KB, 1280x1280px
>>29486352
That scowl? Those red eyes? This is a Steel/Dark type, right?
>>
File: 1474477587566.png (229KB, 1000x777px) Image search: [Google]
1474477587566.png
229KB, 1000x777px
here you go you fucking retards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilt-owl
>>
>>29486684
and now it is
>>
>>29485518

>i am objectively retarded: the post
>>
>>29486352
This isn't the first time GF has done it. Look at Gyarados back in Gen 1. Nothing about his design resembles Flying but he is. At least Decidueye has some background context to flesh out his Ghost typing. The sooner you get over it the better off you'll be.
>>
>>29485518
Hilarious how Primarina is the only one who does anthropomorphic right.
>>
why do you fuckers hate robinhoot's typing?
It's a fucking ghost starter
I've been waiting for that for years
>>
>>29486598
>Scorpion
He's Bug/Poison you ditz get it right
>>
>>29486352
Charizard is the best Dragon type.
>>
>>29486690
>>29486651
>>29486598
>>29486565
>>29486515
>>29486493
you people are idiots

those pokemon's types aren't immediately obvious but they're justifiable

A-Exeggutor has plenty of reptilian features
Scorpions are desert animals
Aggron has more than one mineral
Metagross is a supercomputer

pretty much every pokemon can be justified as more types than it is, but its actual type should be justifiable on it. ghost is not justifiable on this owl.
>>
>>29485924
This.
/vp/ is a cesspool of bipolar idiots
>>
>>29486355
it'll be good for the same reason U-Turn is good. It gets to act as a pivot.

>enemy switches in a counter such as Bisharp
>Spirit Shackle
>they're now unable to switch as you switch to your Mega Dugtrio or whatever
>>
>>29486652
>Bug/Flying Vikavolt
>Still gets LEVITATE anyways because fuck you you piece of shit get aids and die
I'm surprised that this didn't happen actually.
>>
File: 1451888188237.jpg (170KB, 1024x897px) Image search: [Google]
1451888188237.jpg
170KB, 1024x897px
>>29486771
>It's a fire thing that flies
I see no wrong there, at least the flying type didn't come out of nowhere.
>>
>>29486806
not bipolar
but yes, idiots
>>
>>29486776
>but they're justifiable
Based on things about them like lore and pokedex entries and not their design
Regular exeggcutor has just as many reptilian features barring the tail
and tails aren't necessarily reptilian
>>
>>29486776
But you're admitting they're not immediately obvious, but that also applies to Decidueye. The only difference is that you refuse to accept any evidence that does justify the Ghost typing because you don't want to admit you're wrong.
>>
>>29486811
Dear god what if Decidueye gets U-Turn too
>>
>>29486776
having vaguely reptilian feet isn't plenty of features, anon.

Decidueye is a shadow elemental, anyways. Your issue is that it isn't purple or otherwise dark-colored, and you can soft reset for a shiny if you want that so badly.
>>
File: 425Drifloon.png (66KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
425Drifloon.png
66KB, 431x431px
>>29486776
This thing cannot possibly be a Ghost-type. It's just a balloon. Might as well make Jigglypuff a Ghost-type. Ghost is not justifiable on this balloon.
>>
>>29486776
>ghost is not justifiable on this owl.
Except it has been justified, if you've read the thread. You might not agree with the justification, but it's there.
>>
>>29485518

Tiger's design screams "heel".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel_(professional_wrestling)

>In professional wrestling, a heel (also known as a rudo in lucha libre) is a wrestler who is villainous or a "bad guy", who is booked (scripted) by the promotion to be in the position of being an antagonist.[1][2][3] They are typically opposed by their polar opposites, faces, who are the heroic protagonist or "good guy" characters. In American wrestling, it was common for the faces to be American and the heels to be portrayed as foreign (e.g. The Iron Sheik, Eddie Guerrero, Rusev).

>In order to gain heat (with boos and jeers from the audience), heels are often portrayed as behaving in an immoral manner by breaking rules or otherwise taking advantage of their opponents outside the bounds of the standards of the match. Others do not (or rarely) break rules, but instead exhibit unlikeable, appalling and deliberately offensive and demoralizing personality traits such as arrogance, cowardice or contempt for the audience. Many heels do both, cheating as well as behaving nastily. No matter the type of heel, the most important job is that of the antagonist role. Heels exist to provide a foil to the face wrestlers. If a given heel is cheered over the face, a promoter may opt to turn that heel to face or vice versa, or to make the wrestler do something even more despicable to encourage heel heat.

>In the world of lucha libre wrestling, heels are generally known for being brawlers and for using physical moves that emphasize brute strength or size, often having outfits akin to demons, devils, or other tricksters. This is contrasted with the heroic técnicos that are generally known for using moves requiring technical skill, particularly aerial maneuvers.

Hawlucha is the "face".
>>
File: Swalot.png (60KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Swalot.png
60KB, 250x250px
Best Ghost type coming through.
>>
>>29486878

Read.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Drifloon_(Pok%C3%A9mon)#Pok.C3.A9dex_entries_2
>>
>>29486997
>fluff irrelevant to the design
Hey, I can do it too
>This Pokémon is able to move about while completely masking its presence from others. Once an opponent has lost sight of it, Decidueye seizes the chance to attack it unawares.
You know what pops out of nowhere to attack and can move about undetected by normal methods? A ghost.
>>
>>29486949
>eats a lot
>rounded blob with wavy bottom
It's the perfect Pac-Man reference, and that's full of ghosts. Heck, it's even purple, and we all know that you have to be purple to be a Ghost-type.
Shit, it's even got black and red eyes, so it'll make the perfect Ghost/Dark-type Pokemon.
>>
>>29486862
>The only difference is that you refuse to accept any evidence that does justify the Ghost typing because you don't want to admit you're wrong.

Not him, but I don't get it, I've read the description lots of time and there isn't an actual reason. Every "justification" is just some kind of headcanon like "owls are spoopy like spiders and bats" or "stealth = ghost"

Because oh man! zubat and Joltik are absolutely the best ghost types.
>>
File: 129-Magikarp.png (96KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
129-Magikarp.png
96KB, 300x300px
I love Fire-types, which are always red, and only red Pokemon can be Fire-types. Pic related.
>>
File: purplebird[1].png (130KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
purplebird[1].png
130KB, 500x500px
This is the same gen with Sensu Oricorio and Alolan Marowak in it.

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pokemon/oricorio-sensu-style/

>The Sensu Style Oricorio is quiet and collected. By means of its dance, it gathers the spirits drifting about in an area and borrows their power to fight.

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pokemon/alolan-marowak/

>It’s said that their great care for their partners allowed them to gain something like a sixth sense and resulted in their changed form.

It's now been established that Ghost-type Pokemon don't have to be literal ghosts; they can just be Pokemon that have some sort of sixth sense or channel the power of spirits; which Decidueye does with its signature move, Spirit Shackle.
>>
>>29487187
Magikarp is obviously some form of fish.
>>
>>29486811
>>29486875

The only thing that would save it from Pursuit is Baton Pass. Which would then be amazing.
>>
>>29487308
>Decidueye gets Baton Pass
>Smogonfags get assravaged and just ban Baton Pass entirely
I can see it already.
This next gen is going to be awful for competitive. People thought gen 5 was a trainwreck with its weather wars and hidden abilities, but being able to run weather abusers without weather inducers was a hell of a lot more entertaining than the gen 6 meta, and gen 7 is only going to make it worse.
>>
>>29487166
Zubat aren't stealthy since they are always screaming, hang around in swarms, and have loud wing flaps ill-suited for hunting prey. Lunala is Ghost and bat-like, so you're also wrong.
Joltik aren't stealthy aside from being small, and they cling onto stuff to absorb static electricity like an electrical parasite, which is why its hairs are all standing up. It's actually pretty clever to have a tick-like Pokemon cling to larger Pokemon through static electricity and absorb it as energy, but it's not spooky. Not until we get like something similar to a Skulltula.
The closest thing we get to how a ghost typically behaves is through an owl, which flies through the air at night, moves silently, but has hellish screams. It's backed up through folklore or myth like a lot of starter Pokemon are. The archer assassin is just a bonus, and assassins are typically regarded as ghostly. You don't have to be something out of Ghostbusters to be like a ghost, else Gastly wouldn't qualify since it's a ball of poisonous gas. It being intangible and deadly makes it ghostly. Decidueye being silent and deadly makes it ghostly. Noctowl took a different approach by focusing on the supposedly wise aspect of owls while Decidueye focused on the GHOSTLY ASPECTS IN BEHAVIOR AND HAWAIIAN FOLKLORE OF OWLS.
>>
>>29487166
>there isn't an actual reason
There is though. It just isn't in your face like most things are. Not every Pokemon's typing is conveyed by its design, just look at Palkia. You have to look deeper into what the Pokemon is based on to understand why it is what it is.
And you can word that "headcanon" all you want to make it sound as stupid as you please, but that doesn't change their plausibility. "Owls are spoopy" comes from the owl being seen as a spirit or a sign of death in many cultures.
>>
File: 250px-618Stunfisk.png (35KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-618Stunfisk.png
35KB, 250x250px
>>29487236
Oh, right, how could I forget that all fishes have to be Water, just as everything with wings have to be Flying. Pic related, an Electric/Water-type Pokemon.
>>
>>29487470
Ariados already ticked off the skulltulla box, surely
>>
File: 1475547162255.png (7KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1475547162255.png
7KB, 400x400px
>>29485689
Grass/Dark is a godawful typing so they've purposely avoided it for 2 gens straight & for good reason thank christ.

Please get shit on more OP
>>
>>29486255
Owls aren't birds though
>>
>>29487166
>spoopy
>headcanon
>failing to listen to reason
Hello, Tumblr, mind checking out this page for me about how owls are seen as harbingers of death in Greco-Roman, English, and Native American culture, or is that all just headcanon shit, too?
http://www.owlpages.com/owls/articles.php?a=62
>>
>>29487608
But the only Grass/Dark types are the slow and frail mixed attackers from gen 3
>>
>>29485814
>>29485920
Some owls are scary, but what really scared me was that alien abduction movie trailer with the alien-eyed owl.
>>
>>29487235
bird is purple tho and marowak is black. you must be purple or black to be a ghost everyone knows this anon
>>
>>29487858
I wanted to like The Fourth Kind a lot more because of that owl in the trailer. In the end it was rather meh. It gives me an idea for a nickname, "Nome" based on the town in Alaska where the movie took place.
>>
a lot of people want to say that it doesn't matter if it's inconsistent, which is more honest than reaching for some justification beyond whatever lore it actually has.

If they had incorporated more ghostly, spiritual features into the design, I would be fine with seeing it as a ghost type. But they did not. It's a brightly colored, fully physical bird that has good accuracy, which is a quality that many birds have (keen eye is common on bird pokemon for a reason), as well as stealth, which is indicative of many different types when it suits the design.
There is very little that makes it a ghost aside from whatever ghost moves they tack onto it, and a whole lot more that makes it a flying type. That said, I am fine with it being a non-spiritual non-ghost ghost because at least this makes the typing cooler than the flying/grass it should have been.

So whatever.
>>
>>29488103
>Reeeeee I don't like it because it's not purple
you fags will bitch about literally anything
>>
>>29487599
Closer to just a venomous spider, though it could arguably seen as Dark with its "two-faced" motif, but this seems pretty interesting and can justify its Poison-typing a bit further.
>It will attach silk to its prey and set it free. It attaches silk to its prey and sets it free. Later, it tracks the silk to the prey and its friends.
Might just be me, but it sounds pretty similar to how a disease you thought you were safe from might creep back up on you and spread to those around you. Anyhow, apart from having two faces/asses to suggest a deceptive motif associated with Dark, Ariados just leans more to the Poison side to fill in that archetypal venomous spider niche that is usually constant in RPGs, with the unique aspect just to set it apart a bit from being just literally my mom's spider. No incentive to shake up the player's expectations on what type a spider Pokemon might be back then, while there was incentive to get crazy with playing around with expectations and designs this time around for the 20th anniversary, according to Masuda. A wrestler Pokemon is Dark instead of Fighting because it's themed after a heel. A crab Pokemon isn't Water because it's themed after a coconut crab, which are land crustaceans.
So it should stand to reason that an owl Pokemon does not have to be Flying when there's a plethora of folklore and mythology around the world, especially in Hawaii, supporting a connection between owls and the underworld, and tying it closer with an assassin motif. Assassins can be seen as underhanded (Greninja being Dark) and ghostly, so they rolled with the more ghostly aspects of an assassin through stealth and silence to further justify the Ghost-typing. I don't know why retards like the OP can't fucking see that and just sees it as wings = Flying-type
>>
>>29486061
>Purple/Black needed for ghosty types

Fuck man, why am I playing this game here again? The bait couldn't be more retarded, yet I'm replying.

Has frequenting /vp/ made me retarded? Is that what this is? Or was this so bad I couldn't ignore it?

Fuck.
>>
>>29486122
that is a wallbreaker spread just fyi.
also if you think spirit shackle is actually in any way even close to shadow tag you really dont know what you're talking about. you got a round to react man, all it does is prevent double switching. it will fade once you switch robinhoot out.
>>
>>29486700
EXTINCT OWL

GHOST TYPE

DEEPEST LORE
>>
>>29485689
...is this a pasta?
>>
File: 1475545188203.jpg (167KB, 843x948px) Image search: [Google]
1475545188203.jpg
167KB, 843x948px
>>29487766
I'm talking for a starter like build:
>4x weak to bug
>Fairy, Fighting, Fire, Flying, Ice, Poison
Don't give me that 4xZardpebbles meme, no one uses them in-game.

Chesnaught may have it kinda rough but Fighting over Dark is a fucking blessing.
>>
>>29488132
You didn't read my post
pls don't be silly
>>
File: 1477600719143.jpg (54KB, 1080x830px) Image search: [Google]
1477600719143.jpg
54KB, 1080x830px
>All of these Anons thinking that Decidueye is a Ghost type because of its design.
>All of these Anons getting pissy because they don't realize Decidueye is a Ghost type because it has Ghostly powers.
>>
>>29488181
The post you're replying to is sarcastic in response to the notion that Ghost-types have to be purple and/or black and if it has wings then it's a Flying-type, regardless of whether or not it's a bird since Decidueye isn't one. It's not bait, but I'm sure that OP and those unironically agreeing with him are either baiting or genuinely retarded.
>Drifloon's spooky Pokedex entry justifies its Ghost-typing but Decidueye's behavior, and the behavior and folklore of owls in general, doesn't justify it since Drifloon is purple and Decidueye isn't hurr
>>
>>29486194
Gen3 and 4 were this too if you ask me.
>>
The owl it's based on is presumably "Gallistrix" aka the stilt owl. You can see how they get darTRIX from that, and because it's an extinct Hawaiian species, you get the ghost typing in Decidueye... because it's DEAD.
>>
File: dentureschomp.png (42KB, 277x246px) Image search: [Google]
dentureschomp.png
42KB, 277x246px
>>29485518
You forgot to add
> Game Freak Defense Force tries to defend all this in a thread on /vp/
You're not a faggot, OP.
>>
>>29488333
nice Triple Trump Trips
>>
The ghost typing makes perfect sense! The second it put on the hood, it got a ghost type just like our friend Trayvon Martin.
>>
>>29486352

How has no one posted Sudowoodo? It's whole point was telling you to go fuck your expectations, and that nothing has to work the way it looks. It was the blank check for every other unintuitive typing that came after.
>>
File: Carlos.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Carlos.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>29485518
I have to be honest, the Grass one really grew on me.
>>
File: Ghost and Dark moves.png (215KB, 2868x1348px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost and Dark moves.png
215KB, 2868x1348px
Ghost in Pokemon is the Shadow/Darkness elemental type.
>>
>>29485518
Mawile doesn't look like a steel type
Garchomp and altaria dont look like dragon
Comfey and florges are not grass types
>>
>>29485518

Those are different art styles.
>>
>>29486930
It's literally the "Heel" pokemon in the pokedex...
>>
>>29486061
He's got that spooky black mask, and his color scheme is similar to Trevanant, you know, another grass/ghost? Gourgeist even doesn't really look terribly ghost-like, it could have just as easily been grass/fire and people would have accepted it. Honestly, I think part of the issue is that ghost and grass are somewhat opposite types, one represents death and the other represents life, so design choices are limited if you want to have both be present.
>>
>Grass/Ghost a better typing than Grass/Flying
>Fire/Dark not being a redundant typing for fire starters
>Water/Fairy is a very good typing
>Let's bitch about it!!!
>>
I honestly feel this whole deal could have been avoided if they just took to the time to tack some descriptor on the website about how it's feathers have the magical property of fucking with shadows instead of prattling on about how good of a stealthy sharpshooter it is.
Then again, those blurbs barely even try to explain why the entire line is Grass type. They could swap out the entire line's Grass type for Normal and absolutely nothing about its lore would be affected.

>>29488496
Because Sudowoodo is still brown, which people can aesthetically associate with rocks, so he doesn't help enough in this particular context.
>>
>>29486170
Crobat says hi.
>>
>>29488538
Shadows and darkness are a symptom of being a ghost type, not the cause.

Even then, this thing exhibits just as many flying-like features as it does stealthy. And, of course, it looks nothing like how a ghost type normally looks. Too many bright colors that would make it stand out in a shadow. it's got a white abdomen and polkadots for christs sake
>>
File: datsallfolks.png (72KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
datsallfolks.png
72KB, 300x300px
>>29485518
>Whines about Robinhoot

>Exeggcute is just some eggs with faces and shit, I dunno wtf it is but I can accept it as a Grass/Psychic because muh nostalgia
>>
File: 1476256766409.gif (804KB, 1307x734px) Image search: [Google]
1476256766409.gif
804KB, 1307x734px
>>29487645
someone explain this meme to me
pic related it's me
>>
File: 1426214090719.png (222KB, 863x752px) Image search: [Google]
1426214090719.png
222KB, 863x752px
>>29486352
>Designs are supposed to correspond their typing so people can easily tell what they are at first sight, I'm pretty sure most people couldn't tell this thing was a ghost at all.

>Every Pokemon in Gen1 is perfectly acceptable

you fucking Genwun faggot
>>
>>29485808
i agree, let's change charizard to water/bug for the same reason
>>
>>29488496
Sudowoodo's entire point is to deceive you with its type. It wouldn't work if Pokemon weren't supposed to look like their type. Its existence is testament that they are.
>>
>>29488397
nigger half the fucking pokedex is based on extinct animals, doesnt make them ghost types

owls aren't even extinct in general
>>
>>29486776
Just stop.
>>
>>29486878
>pokemon that floats, is mostly air and is a common phobia cant be ghost

it is perfectly fucking justified.

owlcucks cant do anything but attack other ghost types and fail miserably at it.
>>
File: 003Venusaur.png (1MB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
003Venusaur.png
1MB, 1280x1280px
>>29486776
>>29486352

>plenty of reptilian features

This is a Dragon type. It makes sense because of its reptilian features!
>>
>>29486852
it also doesnt have the long dinosaur neck. but yes regular exeggutor would be fine as a dragon given those features. decidueye is not fine as a ghost.
>>
>>29489715
>balloon
>common phobia

que
>>
File: Nidoking-Photos.png (336KB, 1318x1255px) Image search: [Google]
Nidoking-Photos.png
336KB, 1318x1255px
>>29486776
>plenty of reptilian features

This is a dragon type
>>
>>29488397
Trix is Latin for owl.
>>
Probably already said in the thread but I'm going to bitch anyway

>Owls are primarily nocturnal
>night time has forever been associated with spooky shit/ghosts
>Moon legendary is fucking ghost type

Knee jerk reactions to shit you're too stupid to understand is the worst.
>>
>>29489498
>Too many bright colors that would make it stand out in a shadow.
The Japanese text literally translates that it possesses the ability to "completely erase it's presence," so that's probably a non-issue in the grander scheme of things.
>>
>>29489753
>>29489731
>>29486776

Dragon type reporting in
>>
>>29489731
WHY do owlfaggots have so much trouble with such a simple premise?

YES, VENUSAUR WOULD BE FINE AS A DRAGON TYPE.
99% OF POKEMON COULD REASONABLY BE MORE TYPES THAN THEY ARE.
THE IMPORTANT THINGS IS THAT THEIR -ACTUAL- TYPES ARE REASONABLE ON THEM.
VENUSAUR COULD BE A DRAGON. IT COULD NOT BE A GHOST. JUST LIKE THIS OWL CANT BE A GHOST.
>>
File: 115Kangaskhan.png (178KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
115Kangaskhan.png
178KB, 431x431px
>>29486776

Did I miss the Dragon Party?
>>
>>29486122
What is the stat spread? Thought base stats weren't included in the demo (sorry behind on leaks)
>>
>>29489753
YEAH, IT WOULD ACTUALLY BE REASONABLE AS A DRAGON TYPE CONSIDERING ITS KAIJU BASIS. IT COULD PROBABLY BE FIGHTING TOO, OR DARK, OR STEEL EVEN. BUT NOTHING ABOUT IT SAYS GHOST. JUST LIKE NOTHING ABOUT OWL SAYS GHOST.
>>
>>29489731
1) Just because GF likes to be stupidly inconsistent with their designs and typing sometimes doesn't mean it should be okay

2) I thought that was supposed to be some kind of dinosaur frog, which doesn't necessarily make it a reptile.

>>29489761
Noctowl looks more like a ghost and has more in common with ghosts, but yet even it wasn't deemed ghostly enough to be a ghost. The fact that this less spooky owl is somehow a ghost just makes it all seem pointless.

>>29489776
That doesn't make it a good design for that typing, just because they explain it away arbitrarily.
>>
File: 102Exeggcute.png (140KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
102Exeggcute.png
140KB, 431x431px
>>29489787
>Exeggcute is obviously a grass/psychic because it's smart and eggs come from plants!
>>
>>29489833
Noctowl is also a psychic bird, basing a pokemon's type solely off appearance and ignoring its inspirations is dumb as hell. I'd be down for a ghost/flying retyping of Noctowl, though.
>>
>>29489837
EXEGGCUTE CAN BE REASONED AS A PSYCHIC TYPE BECAUSE ITS MULTIPLE HEADS HAVE A MENTAL LINK, OR GIVE IT INCREASED BRAIN POWER. THAT'S NOT TO SAY EVERY MON WITH MULTIPLE HEADS DOES, BUT IT'S A PERFECTLY REASONABLE CONNECTION. ITS DEX CONFIRMS IT.

NOBODY SAID "OBVIOUSLY" YOU FUCKING FAGGOT. OBVIOUSNESS IS NOT THE ISSUE. REASONABILITY IS.
>>
>>29489833
They're not inconsistent with their designs, you're just forcefully trying to make sense with their typing choices without actually knowing their design choice and you get mad when you think too hard and get confused.

>dinosaur frog
>not reptilian

Just stop.
>>
>>29489667
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilt-owl
Stilt owl is dino-ded friendo
>>
Back in 1996, the series would of just been trying to get a foot in the market. In order to make their games as appealing as possible, the smartest move was to make simple, somewhat generic monsters that most people could find appealing.
Each is a large reptile with their element clearly on display, pretty easy to identify with and would be a great beginning pokemon to give to newcomers.

Skip ahead 20 years and outside of art style and designs obviously changing over the course of time, but Pokemon is now just a titan in the world of gaming. There really isint this fear of needing to play it as safe since, most people are veterans, and the originals will always be available sooner or later in all updates of the game.
Now, instead of going something generic like a fire breathing dragon, GF can try new things and try to appeal to a more niche audience with certain designs. They have more freedom to try something different. It may not always go well, some pokemon wont be as popular as others, but thats always been the case.

As far as Ghost Owl goes, I would agree. I feel they should of added a few elements to its design that hinted at ghost. Considering we had their real leaks for 5 months and I never once thought it would have any connection to ghosts, sort of makes me feel it was tacked on at the last second and should of been saved for a starter that could of shown off a few more ghostly elements.
Still, I like Decidueye. Its not really the starter for me, cause I find its standing still model is kind of boring, but I dont think its sudden change in typing is a big deal breaker for me. Obviously it has its fanbase, and as long as someone is enjoying it, I dont see the harm in it. I'm just happy the fire/fighting curse seems to be over.
>>
File: 1475798002047.png (386KB, 641x466px) Image search: [Google]
1475798002047.png
386KB, 641x466px
>>29489667
>owls aren't even extinct in general
>>
>>29489886
read the first part of the post shithead.

pokemon based on entire extinct genera arent ghost types.
>>
>>29489884
>>29489827
>>29489787
I can't tell if you're trolling or you seriously are splitting hairs trying to assume the reason for their typing.

2/10
>>
>>29489926
THERE IS NOTHING TO ASSUME YOU FUCKWIT, THE DEX STRAIGHT UP CONFIRMS WHAT CAN ALREADY BE INFERRED FROM THE DESIGN.

NOTHING ABOUT THE OWL'S DESIGN HAS ANY ASSOCIATION TO GHOSTS.
>>
>>29489913
I did and I replied to the second part in which you said they aren't extinct in general by which I linked you to an article on wikipedia explaining that there is a general type of owl that is in fact extinct.
at least try to read the first sentence of that article.
>>
>>29485518
I think the ghost typing refers to the whole stealth silent hunter thing. Owls are historically viewed as sinister and otherworldly, too.

In Australia where I live, there is a type of owl called a barking owl which has a scream that sounds a lot like a woman or child screaming for help. There are records of early settlers hearing it into the night and going into the forest to find what they thought was a lost woman or child, only to never come out again. Settlers eventually came to believe it was the call of a bunyip, a swamp monster who lured people in with it and then ate them. When I think of owls I think of that; pretty creepy.

Also I am sure its dex entry will help justify its typing.
>>
>>29489913
because I know you won't read it, have your (you)
The stilt-owls (Grallistrix) are a genus of true owls which contains four species, all of which lived on the Hawaiian Islands but are now extinct.
>>
>>29489961
i didn't say a general type of owl, i said owls in general.

there are several pokemon based on pelycosaurs and that entire group is extinct. doesn't make those pokemon ghost types.
>>
File: 1453396364601.jpg (9KB, 324x270px) Image search: [Google]
1453396364601.jpg
9KB, 324x270px
I fucking hate all the normies and redditors shitting up /vp/. his thread looks like a youtube comment section. 4chan should have a 3 day waiting period for people who try to post for the first time just like Wizardchan.
>>
>>29489986
>Owls are historically viewed as sinister and otherworldly, too.

This, and owls being nocturnal should be all the reasoning one should need to see how an owl could be ghost type. You'd have to be either straight up retarded or entirely ignorant on what everything owls represent to get confused by a ghost typing.
>>
File: Rowlet kills an innocent girl.gif (1MB, 450x243px) Image search: [Google]
Rowlet kills an innocent girl.gif
1MB, 450x243px
>>29489888
Anon, this is really well written

Take this pic as a token of my appreciation
>>
>>29485518
robinhoot is based on an owl species from hawaii that has gone extinct, it's actually very clever and a good typing to boot, fuck you

>>29489086
this guy's right
>>
>>29489986
The dex entry is already on the site and it mentions nothing of ghosts. All it talks about is its stealthy fighting style which many Pokemon have, like Greninja. That doesn't make them ghost types.

Nothing about its design conveys ghost. It's an owl in bright superhero clothes.
>>
>>29485518
It's Decidueye fag
>>
File: 1473667180029s.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1473667180029s.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
>this many people commenting about how it's party ghost because it's based on an extinct animal
>this many people who don't know all grass starters are based on extinct animals
>>
>>29489833
>That doesn't make it a good design for that typing.

This I can agree with, but this a problem that plagues more than just Decidueye's design, going as far back as shit like Voltorb and Electrode being Electric types. That's just sorta how GF operates; concept first.

>just because they explain it away arbitrarily
Arbitrary how? The description of it's presence erasing trait is immediately followed up with attributing it as how its able to take a steady aim in the midst of combat, which is pretty central to its forest sniper concept. It's the culmination of these little things that make the Ghost attribute increasingly relevant for it.
>>
File: gerogero01.png (95KB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
gerogero01.png
95KB, 300x290px
>>29489884
>Perfectly reasonable

>Gives a bullshit explanation

>Doesn't accept Gamefreak's bullshit explanation on Robinhoot

That basement air is putting too much fungus in your brain. u mad?
>>
>>29490090
>every edgy or sinister pokemon ever is given dark as a secondary typing and nobody complains
>GF decides to use a different secondary typing with similar connotations and krakatoa of autism erupts
>>
>>29490202
>bullshit explanation
NOT AN ARGUMENT. THE EXPLANATION FITS -BOTH- THE DESIGN AND THE DEX. NEITHER DECIDUEYE'S DEX NOR DESIGN CONVEY GHOST TYPE.

>projecting anger
WEW LAD
>>
>>29489870
Part of the inspirations should be reflected in the design. Otherwise, what's the point in even having a consistent design theme for type anyway? Why make fire types primarily red and incorporate fire into their designs? What if their inspiration is just "it likes fire" but then it's a block of cheese? Is that okay just because some Japanese guy thinks cheese can love fire? Consistency is important for the same reason that they hire designers to begin with. It helps things make sense.

>>29489885
They are absolutely inconsistent on several occasions. There's not really a reason why Gyarados is flying instead of dragon, or why an executor with a longer neck is dragon instead of the random psychic typing it used to have for no reason. Inconsistencies abound. Just because you like a excuse them away doesn't mean they aren't there.

Frogs aren't reptiles, buberoo

>>29490188
Steady aim, accuracy and speed have more to do with flying types than ghosts. The fact that it can disappear in an instant is tacked onto the end with no other supporting factors. It would be neat to incorporate that into a ghostly owl design along with other cues that really sell the spiritual vibe, but they don't even try to do that. They just make a flying type, say it can disappear, and then call it a ghost instead.
>>
>>29490268
Literally everything about him except his physical appearance gives reasonable explanations for a ghost typing, you're just screaming like a retard because you're either an actual fucking retard, or baiting.
>>
>>29490278
>can't tell the difference between "reptilian" and "reptile"

kek
>>
>>29485689
Pretty autistic, but you're totally right.
>>
>>29490268
Stop cherrypicking. You would probably enjoy the bitching in this thread too >>29489990
>>
>>29485690
>commonly associated with death
Like the other well-known ghost type, Absol.

Oh...
>>
>>29490322
Frogs aren't reptilian. At least I don't think so.

>>29490348
Yeah if I gave a shit about the tapu guys, that would probably piss me off. But hey, that's GF for ya, inconsistencies whenever they want.
>>
>>29485689
Grass/Ghost is what made me wanna use Rowlett now.

>wtf i love rowlett now
>>
>>29490257
DARK IS DIRTY FIGHTING AND NEGATIVITY WHICH IS INCREDIBLY BROAD. GHOST HAS ALWAYS HAD A MORE SPECIFIC ASSOCIATION TO GHOSTS, I.E. NON-CORPOREAL/HAUNTED/OCCULT. OWL IS NONE OF THESE.

>>29490312
>Literally everything about him except his physical appearance gives reasonable explanations for a ghost typing
WHICH MAKES HIS PHYSICAL APPEARANCE FLAWED, FAGGOT. THANKS FOR AGREEING.

>>29490348
HOW THE FUCK IS JUDGING IT BY ITS ENTIRE DESIGN CHERRYPICKING
>>
>>29490349
Absol is associated with disasters you stupid faggot, not directly with death.
>>
>>29490377
If I recall, you said "dinosaur frog" which qualifies as something reptile-like. There should be a word for describing something with reptile-like resemblance. Something catchy, like "reptilian"

Oh...
>>
>>29488333
But why does a machoke punching this owl do nothing?

Is it an incorporeal owl?
>>
>>29490377
GOOD THING VENUSAUR ISNT A FROG THEN

IT CLEARLY HAS MORE REPTILIAN THAN AMPHIBIAN FEATURES, JUST VAGUELY FROG MORPHOLOGY
>>
Isn't it a ghost type because its a sniper and snipers are called ghosts on the battle field idk thats how i reasoned it honestly and i dont see a problem with it being ghost
>>
>>29490389
Oh so we're just bitching about his physical appearance, then? Yeah I can agree with that, he could stand to be more spooky. I thought this was all about how the ghost typing made no sense. Carry on, anon.
>>
>>29490389
I like how you contradict yourself in one post
>>
>>29490389
>HOW THE FUCK IS JUDGING IT BY ITS ENTIRE DESIGN CHERRYPICKING

Cherrypicking as in choosing certain things to fit your argument without realizing you're making yourself sound redundant when approached with a contradicting argument. Holy shit you're a faggot
>>
>>29490408
This is my biggest problem tbqh.
I can't justify a tauros crashing into this owl and doing nothing.
>>
>>29490425
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU ON ABOUT

IF THE APPEARANCE DOESN'T MAKE SENSE AS A GHOST THEN NO AMOUNT OF FORCED SECONDARY JUSTIFICATION MAKES UP FOR IT.

LITERALLY ITS ONLY GHOST FEATURE IS THE FORCED GHOST MOVE THEY GAVE IT. ITS DESIGN DOES NOT CONVEY THAT ITS ARROWS ARE "GHOSTLY" AT ALL. IF THEY ARBITRARILY GAVE IT A FIRE ARROW IT WOULDN'T SUDDENLY MAKE SENSE AS A FIRE TYPE EITHER.
>>
>>29490500
Explain Exeggcute's physical feature and how it fits its Grass/Psychic typing.
>>
>>29490481
THAT'S LITERALLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING. YOU ARE CHERRYPICKING THINGS OTHER THAN THE PRIMARY ASPECT OF DESIGN TO JUSTIFY ITS DESIGN. THE SECONDARY CHARACTERISTICS DON'T EVEN WORK EITHER, IT'S JUST THAT THEY'RE LARGELY IRRELEVANT ANYWAY COMPARED TO THE FIRST.
>>
>>29490500
So what you're saying is, we should ignore everything about owls having occult ties, snipers being referred to as "ghosts" on numerous occasions, and it being based on an extinct Hawaiian bird because the design doesn't look right? Kill yourself, my man.
>>
>>29490530
>>29490500
>>29490389
>HOW THE FUCK IS JUDGING IT BY ITS ENTIRE DESIGN CHERRYPICKING

You're crying about Decidueye not looking like a ghost, but you think it's a valid reason for Exeggcute to be Grass/Psychic because of its "mind link" with each other (which is totally not related to its physical feature)? How much more contradictory can you get?

>>29490525
Respond to this post
>>
File: 1360448001238.png (184KB, 490x810px) Image search: [Google]
1360448001238.png
184KB, 490x810px
>literally nobody expected the ghost typing
>literally nothing to suggest it
>after the reveal, everyone pretends it was obvious all along
TOPPEST OF KEKS

It's breddy gud though.
>>
>>29490525
I ALREADY DID NIGGER
>>29489884
>>29489956

>>29490531
OWLS ARE NOT INHERENTLY SPOOKY, ONLY SOME ARE. JUST LIKE HOW BLACK CATS BEING SPOOKY DOESN'T MAKE FLUFFY ORANGE TABBIES SPOOKY. THERE IS NOTHING SPOOKY ABOUT THIS BRIGHT-ASS ROBIN HOOD OWL.

WHERE THE FUCK DOES JAPAN REFER TO SNIPERS AS "GHOSTS"?

EXTINCTION =/= GHOST TYPE, TONS OF POKEMON ARE BASED ON EXTINCT SPECIES
>>
>>29490592
HOW THE FUCK IS IT NOT RELATED TO ITS PHYSICAL FEATURE? I STRAIGHT UP FUCKING EXPLAINED THE CONNECTION. A POKEMON WITH MULTIPLE BRAINS WORKING IN TANDEM IS PERFECTLY BELIEVABLE AS A PSYCHIC TYPE.

I FUCKING CHALLENGE YOU TO FIND EQUALLY PRAGMATIC REASONING FOR THIS SHITOWL
>>
>>29490608
>Japan is the only country pokemon takes inspiration from
Just kill yourself, you're only making it worse.
>>
>>29485518
i never understood what bulbasaur was supposed to resemble

was it a frog/toad?
>>
>>29490650
A prehistoric creature with a guant rafflesia on its back.
>>
>>29490650
Synapsid?
Probably?
Dunno. It's the most -iffy one.
>>
>>29490650
it's sort of a frog but not really anything specific
>>
>>29490649
LINGUISTICALLY IT DOES. THERE IS NO POKEMON DESIGNED BASED ON ANGLOPHONE NOMENCLATURE.

AND NICE CHERRYPICKING ASSHOLE.
>>
>>29490637
>Owls are considered omens around the world
>Snipers are called ghosts
>It's based on an extinct owl
There is your reason now stop typing in all caps you silly anon
>>
>>29490608
>decidueye not spoopy, not a ghost
>eggs with faces have a mind link, is a psychic/grass type
>that is to say dodrio can be psychic because it has 3 heads in its design
>that is to say decidueye shouldn't be ghost because it's green and no spoopy ghost flames
>that is to say slowpoke is obviously a psychic type because it has... one head? is pink?

right
>>
>>29490408
>>29490489
The same explanation that's given for other Ghost secondary-typed Pokemon.
Either contact wouldn't have an effect on it's physiological nature (Golett, Honedge) or it's elusive to an exaggerated degree (Sableye, Hoopa, Decidueye).
Additionally, I feel that A.Marowak would effectively fall into the former category, where you're essentially fighting something that may as well be necrotic and numb to mundane attacks.

>>29490500
>Arbitrarily put mushrooms on a bug
>Becomes Grass type
>Arbitrarily set a bone club on fire
>Becomes Fire type
>>
>>29485518
>Primarina's STABs are x2 against Incineroar's typing
>Incineroar's STABs are x2 against Decidueye's typing
>Decidueye is Grass x2 on Primarina but the Ghost STAB is only x1

Bravo, GF.
>>
>>29485518
>not understanding the dark/heel gimmick of a wrestler
>not understanding the rowlet ghost/sniper/robin hood comparison

Back to school with you.
>>
>>29490698
>REGURGITATING ARGUMENTS THAT WERE ALREADY BLOWN OUT
SEE >>29490608

>>29490701
YES, DODRIO COULD BE PSYCHIC. SEE >>29489787 >>29489827
>>29489884
>NOBODY SAID "OBVIOUSLY" YOU FUCKING FAGGOT. OBVIOUSNESS IS NOT THE ISSUE. REASONABILITY IS.
>>
>>29490728
When have they ever been in perfect balance?
>>
>>29490728
I heard that fairy might become from ghost but who knows and when has it become necessary for each starter's secondary type to perfectly counter another's
>>
>>29490744
GEN 6. NOT REALLY IMPORTANT THOUGH, JUST A GIMMICK

>>29490716
>ARBITRARILY PUT DESIGN ELEMENTS ACTUALLY ASSOCIATED WITH THE TYPE
>POKEMON BECOMES TYPE

WOW FUCKING INCREDIBLE

NOW WHAT GHOST ELEMENT DID THEY PUT ON DECIDUEYE'S DESIGN
OH THAT'S RIGHT NOTHING
>>
>>29490608
It's the fact that the idea of being attacked by something you can neither see nor conventionally retaliate against has traditionally evoked the concept of a being attacked by a fucking dickass ghost.
>>
>>29490741
I mean its easy to think your right when you dismiss anything that counters your opinion right anon
>>
File: NMTeGCH.jpg (43KB, 583x279px) Image search: [Google]
NMTeGCH.jpg
43KB, 583x279px
>>29490701
>>29490741
>it's reasonable for Jynx to be ice/psychic because it has ice on its body..oh wait
>it's reasonable for Dugtrio to be psychic because it has 3 heads

>it's not reasonable for Robinhoot to be ghost because it doesn't look like a ghost

Top kek
>>
>>29490741
>>29490780
You're obviously a Retard type so arguing with you is just running in circles
>>
At least we can all agree it's a bad design.
>>
>>29490788
MAYBE IF YOU ACTUALLY DEFENDED YOUR POINTS INSTEAD OF JUST REPEATING THEM AFTER BEING REFUTED

>>29490787
LOTS OF POKEMON USE SNEAK ATTACKS, THAT'S NOT WHAT DEFINES GHOST

>>29490794
YEAH, DUGTRIO WOULD BE REASONABLE AS PSYCHIC. SEE >>29489787 AND STOP DEFLECTING

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY USING JYNX TO DEFEND A DESIGN
JYNX IS NOT A BASIS FOR GOOD DESIGN
>>
>>29490820
I like it in my opinion
>>
>>29490741
and you didn't answer the slowpoke reasoning because...?
>>
>>29490832
I mean you haven't really refuted anything your just kinda throwing a temper tantrum writing in all caps
>>
>>29490832
This thread has plenty of Pokemon designs that argue against your fallible arguments and your unreasonable hate for Decidueye

It's also funny to see you contradict yourself
>>
>>29490854
SLOWPOKE'S ENTIRE POINT IS A ZEN STATE WHERE ITS BRAIN IS ENTIRELY FOCUSED ON PSYCHIC POWERS SO IT LOSES AWARENESS

LIKE I SAID IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE IMMEDIATELY OBVIOUS BUT THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME ASSOCIATION

>>29490818
>>29490858
>>29490889
NOT AN ARGUMENT, TRY AGAIN
>>
File: 1392257057020.jpg (223KB, 890x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1392257057020.jpg
223KB, 890x1100px
>>29490858
Well said. Thread's over, people.
>>
>>29490927
>DECLARING THREAD OVER BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENTS
TOP KEK OWLFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH
MAYBE YOU'LL MAKE BETTER GHOST TYPES THAN DECIDUEYE
>>
File: decidueye.jpg (227KB, 800x1051px) Image search: [Google]
decidueye.jpg
227KB, 800x1051px
>>29490920
Anon am I not spoopy enough for you baby
>>
>>29490952
I mean what about it being a sniper and them being called ghosts and it being and owl which is an animal connected to the occult in many ways. I mean sure it does not look like a ghost, but you can't deny that there are reasons for its typing.
>>
>>29490952
>DECLARING THREAD OVER BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENTS
>NOT AN ARGUMENT, TRY AGAIN

So are you arguing or are you not arguing? You're even contradicting yourself on that too
>>
File: ghost.jpg (51KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
ghost.jpg
51KB, 720x400px
>>29485689
>Every single ghost type in Pokemon is associated with or does something something paranormal
>>
>>29491000
Trips confirmed.

Also owls being the quietest, sneakiest flyers in the bird kingdom not qualify for a Ghost typing?
>>
>>29491000
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO LINK BACK TO THIS POST >>29490608

ALSO THIS GUY IS STRAIGHT UP >>29490605, A GENERIC ASS OWL IN BRIGHT ROBIN HOOD COSPLAY DOES NOT ASSOCIATE TO GHOSTS
>>
>>29490832
You're right, sneak attacks aren't what defines ghosts, but you're simplifying it.

Persistently attacking while unseen yet present is more than just "sneak attacks," and is the goddamn trademark of paranormal spooky shit fucking with you.

On top of that Decidueye can also fucking perform shadow sewing to bind your movements.

You're right that it looks fuck all like a ghost, but you can't say they didn't give any thought to how it came to possess the typing.

In the very least, it's more sensical than taking an oversized Pokeball and saying it has electric powers.
>>
>>29491005
I ARGUE WHEN YOU PROVIDE AN ARGUMENT, RETARD. NONE OF THE QUOTED POSTS DO.

>>29491018
ARE YOU SERIOUSLY LINKING GIRATINA AS A COUNTEREXAMPLE OF PARANORMAL
>>
>>29491023
You keep having to link it because no one gives a fuck about your stupid shitty reason.

But guess what, no one thinks it's a valid reason so stop linking it.
>>
>>29490605
>>29491023
>after the reveal, everyone pretends it was obvious all along
no
based on the context of the lore it makes sense
just like how inceneroar makes sense to be fire dark and not fire fighting
fire fighting makes sense, but that doesn't mean fire dark doesn't make sense

dark types and ghost types both being sneaky and spooky doesn't mean that only one can make sense at a time
>>
>>29491045
>brought with an argument

>dismisses it

>thinks he's winning

You're all responding to a legit mentally retarded person. Stop being baited
>>
You have severe autism.
>>
>>29491023
This doesn't really take away from owls being related to the occult and your implying that Japanese people are completely unaware of what other languages may associate snipers with. Honestly you are just saying since you don't like the connections to its typing they don't exist, but sorry that is not how it works.
>>
>>29491061
but its fun

especially when this many people are doing it
>>
File: deattthhh.png (248KB, 677x471px) Image search: [Google]
deattthhh.png
248KB, 677x471px
I wish it did look more like a ghost, but knowing owls are a symbol of death and spirits in various countries is fine for me too.
>>
>>29491090
Ah, then enjoy
>>
>>29486352
>Designs are supposed to correspond their typing so people can easily tell what they are at first sight

It's a good thing that the game will tell me what type it is after our first battle ha ha
>>
>>29491037
POKEBALLS ARE MACHINES, HOW IS ELECTRIC NOT SENSIBLE?

THE GHOST ASSOCIATION IS WAY FLIMSIER THAN ANY OTHER GHOST POKEMON. THE SHADOW SEWING IS AN AFTERTHOUGHT TO JUSTIFY ITS TYPE, IT DOESN'T NATURALLY CONNECT TO THE DESIGN.

>>29491046
MORE LIKE YOU HAVE NO ANSWER.
EXTINCT IN REAL LIFE =/= GHOST, THAT'S LIKE HALF THE DEX.
ANGLO NOMENCLATURE IS NOT A BASIS FOR A TYPE. EVEN THE SNIPER ABILITY IS SNIPER IN JAPANESE BUT THERE IS CLEARLY NO ASSOCIATION TO GHOSTS.
OWLS ARE NOT INHERENTLY SPOOKY, ESPECIALLY BRIGHT ASS NERD GOGGLE GREEN ARROW OWLS LIKE THIS THING.
>>
>>29485893
Why couldnt it just be pure fire?
>>
>>29491061
WHERE IS THE FUCKING ARGUMENT IN THE QUOTED POSTS YOU FUCKING RETARD? THE CLOSEST THING TO ONE IS "LOTS OF POKEMON HERE CONTRADICT YOU" WHICH IS BACKED BY NO EXAMPLES BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALL BEEN REFUTED
>>
>>29491144
cuz they would complain about that then lol
>>
>>29491061
He's right, though.
>>
File: retardedfucksman.gif (480KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
retardedfucksman.gif
480KB, 493x342px
>>29491152
>>
>>29486776
>Metagross is a supercomputer

So he should be Steel/Electric then?
>>
>>29491172
ANOTHER BRILLIANT """""""""""ARGUMENT""""""""""""

YOU SURE STUMPED ME
>>
>>29491152
Someone brings up Jynx as a counterargument to your bullshit

>ARE YOU SERIOUSLY BRINGING UP JYNX RIGHT NOW

Someone brings up Giratina as a counterargument

>ARE YOU SERIOUSLY BRINGING UP GIRATINA RIGHT NOW
>>
File: haunter.gif (17KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
haunter.gif
17KB, 200x200px
>>29491176
>>
>>29491175
HE COULD BE, BUT PSYCHIC IS ALSO JUSTIFIED. >>29489787

READING IS FUN
>>
>>29491191
Then justify Exeggcute with only its physical appearance, like how you're judging Decidueye with its physical appearance
>>
>>29491186
JYNX IS A SHIT ASS DESIGN YOU FAGGOT. IF YOUR JUSTIFICATION FOR OWL IS "JYNX DOES IT TOO" THEN YOU'RE ONLY DIGGING YOURSELF INTO A HOLE.

EVERYTHING ABOUT GIRATINA IS PARANORMAL, IT'S A GAS CREATURE LIVING IN AN ANTI-MATTER DIMENSION
>>
>>29491191
Psychic is no more justified on him than Ghost is on the owl.

In fact, being spooky alone is more justification for ghost type than Metagross has for Psychic.
>>
>>29491191

>>29491073

Honestly you are being really dumb right now silly
>>
>>29491128
>EXTINCT IN REAL LIFE =/= GHOST, THAT'S LIKE HALF THE DEX.
multiple heads =/= psychic
out of 9 pokemon, that's less than half
nowhere in the dex does it say exeggcute or exeggcutor has any sort of mind link that boosts their psychic power
infact, most entries state that the minds function independently
you saying that the multiple heads work together or form some sort of mind link is purely headcanon

whereas the dex entry for decidueye shows how ghostly it is/ it's ability to manipulate shadows
>>
>>29491204
>JYNX IS A SHIT ASS DESIGN
It's based on a yokai, it's a great design and people immediately understood the reference

you know, if you're japanese

you're just mad because nobody shares your opinions
>>
>>29491208
METAGROSS IS COMPOSED OF ITS PRE-EVOLUTIONS, IT HAS BRAINS EVERYWHERE

>>29491203
I DID, FAGGOT. >>29490637 >>29489884
>>
>>29486378
Underrated post
>>
>>29491234
>you're just mad because nobody shares your opinions
LOOK HERE FAGGOT
>>29491162
>>29491162
>>29491162
>>
>>29491235
Why is Exeggutor a dragon type?
>>
>>29491225
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU ON ABOUT
>Its six eggs converse using telepathy. They can quickly gather if they become separated.
>Using telepathy only they can employ, they always form a cluster of six Exeggcute.

NOWHERE IN OWL'S DEX DOES IT SAY "IT'S A GHOST OF AN EXTINCT SPECIES," NOR DOES IT SAY THIS FOR THE BILLION OTHER SUCH POKEMON. YOU CAN'T EVEN INFER FROM ITS DESIGN THAT IT'S BASED ON AN "EXTINCT OWL" BECAUSE IT JUST LOOKS LIKE A GENERIC FUCKING OWL + PLANT SHIT.
>>
>>29491235
That's just assuming. It isn't confirmed by Gamefreak. You're just coming up with bullshit justifications.

But you can't find a justification for Decidueye?

Fuck outta here.
>>
>>29491235
>I DID, FAGGOT
no you didn't
you used your own opinions as evidence
whereas actual evidence, like pokedex entries, actually directly disprove your """""reasoning"""""
>>
>>29491235

>It has brains everywhere

Doesn't justify Psychic, since brains operate with electricity, just like a supercomputer.

The owl being spooky is still a stronger justification for Ghost than what Metagross has for Psychic.

Also, since you are judging the owl purely on design, I can dismiss any dex description of Metagross, and without that there's no case whatsoever for Psychic.
>>
>>29491278
IT HAS PLENTY OF REPTILIAN FEATURES TO JUSTIFY ITS DRAGON TYPE

HOLY SHIT HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS THREAD GONE IN CIRCLES

CAN YOU FAGGOTS PLEASE ASK SOMETHING RELEVANT THAT WOULDN'T BE ANSWERED BY A CTRL+F
>>
>>29486194
Meganium is only shit because they put all of their time into making Typhlosion and Feraligatr the most awesome things in history.
>>
>>29491279
What's your name so I can name my Rowlet and immortalize you as the Decidueye autistic faggot
>>
Lol is this guy like actually serious though cuz hes being really fuckin dumb
>>
File: Ghost_SC2_DevRend2.jpg (57KB, 800x670px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost_SC2_DevRend2.jpg
57KB, 800x670px
Ghost reporting.
>>
>>29491309
>PLENTY OF REPTILIAN FEATURES

oh yeah? like what? a tail? claws? a neck? sharp teeth? like almost every fucking animal in the animal kingdom?
>>
>>29491278
Dragon palm.

Damn son at least use good arguments tbqh desu.
>>
>>29491279
>Its six eggs converse using telepathy. They can quickly gather if they become separated.
Exactly
It has nothing to do with the fact that they share the same being
It's just that they're psychic
Exeggcute uses telepathy not because it's heads share a hivemind or whatever
exeggcute uses telepathy because it can use telepathy

Same with the heads on an exeggcutor
They all think independently, it has nothing to do with a hivemind

tl;dr
They fact that they have multiple heads has nothing to do with them being psychic
which is why most pokemon that have multiple heads aren't psychic
>>
>>29491294
>>29491282
READ
THE
DEX ENTRIES >>29491279
THEY CONFIRM WHAT CAN BE INFERRED FROM THE DESIGN. YOU CANT INFER GHOST FROM OWL'S DESIGN.

>>29491295
ALL BRAINS OPERATE WITH ELECTRICITY YOU IMBECILE.

METAGROSS'S DESIGN SHOWS THAT IT'S MADE UP OF ITS PRE-EVOLUTIONS. AGAIN, NOT NECESSARILY OBVIOUS, BUT THE ASSOCIATION IS THERE.
>>
File: 334Altaria.png (763KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
334Altaria.png
763KB, 1280x1280px
>>29491309
>IT HAS PLENTY OF REPTILIAN FEATURES TO JUSTIFY ITS DRAGON TYPE
Justify this, faggot
>>
Obviously this gen is more based around actions defining typings (the bird that channels ghosts being Ghost type for one), so litten and rowlett should be treated in the same context
>>
>>29485689
dark isnt the dark in brightness its dark as in evil
>>
>>29491356
CHINESE MYTHOLOGY
>>
>>29491309
Yea... western dragons have reptilian features, some from other countries have avian and even mammalian features. Being reptilian is not enough to justify being a dragon. Dragons are not real creatures, a lot of is chalked down to lore. If every mythical reptile was a dragon, then Nagas and Lamias would be dragons, too.

By your logic there are a lot of Pokemon that should be dragon type, like Meganium.
>>
File: 1357756338383.jpg (67KB, 606x580px) Image search: [Google]
1357756338383.jpg
67KB, 606x580px
Fuck the types, I want to know why literally all three starters look like fucking anthros.

Just look at OP's pic. I mean this isn't some genwunner shit either, look at all the starters up to Gen 5 for fuck's sake.
What the fuck happened? Why are they all anthro now?
>>
>>29491329
IT'S BUILT LIKE A BRONTOSAURUS WITH TWO LEGS.

>>29491352
WHO THE FUCK SAID HIVEMIND? THE POINT IS A MENTAL LINK. TELEPATHY JUSTIFIES PSYCHIC POWERS. YOU CAN MAKE THE ASSOCIATION TO TELEPATHY BASED ON THE MULTIHEADED DESIGN. IT WORKS.

>>29491356
>JUSTIFY THE POSTER BOY FOR "DOES NOT LOOK LIKE ITS TYPE"
IS THIS A JOKE?
>>
>>29491373
typing "CHINESE MYTHOLOGY" in caps doesn't really qualify as a justification on its physical appearance like you did with A.Exeggcutor's "reptilian features"

So where is Altaria's reptilian features?
>>
>>29491373
So you can accept that a bird is Dragon typed because of Chinese beliefs, but you can't accept that an owl is Ghost because of Pagan beliefs?

What the hell man.
>>
>>29491394
>By your logic there are a lot of Pokemon that should be dragon type, like Meganium.
HOW
MANY
TIMES
HOW MANY TIMES

>>29489787 >>29489787 >>29489787 >>29489787 >>29489787

MEGANIUM WOULD BE FINE AS A DRAGON TYPE. OWL IS NOT FINE AS A GHOST.
>>
>>29491413
>>29491422
Joke's on you, I was just pretending to be that guy.
>>
>>29491355
>THEY CONFIRM WHAT CAN BE INFERRED FROM THE DESIGN
But you can't infer that from the design

>dex entries
the dex entries don't state that the pokemon is psychic because it's heads work together
it states that the pokemon works together because it's psychic

furthermore, the dex entries on exeggcutor state that the heads operate independently

From the design you can't assume exeggcute is a grass type let alone psychic
tamatama means ball ball or egg egg, which would more likely be dragon or water type because dragons and water types lay eggs
>>
File: 2114820271_afa27acbaf_o.jpg (167KB, 561x800px) Image search: [Google]
2114820271_afa27acbaf_o.jpg
167KB, 561x800px
>>29491395
>an owl is anthro
>a seal is anthro
Dumb pathetic frogposter.
>>
>>29491426
I like how you developed a technique of streamlining your bullshit to multiple people yet achieving nothing.
>>
>>29485518
Funny that you post that, while having the posterboy for "WHY ISN'T THIS A DRAGON?" in the picture.
>>
>>29491443
They fucking are, sorry m8.

>the glasses
>literally a mermaid

And not to mention the first and second stages, where they act like some rich posh kid for some reason, or a smug asshole.
They're not monsters any more. The franchise should be called pocket neopets instead.
>>
File: 1475720072385.jpg (56KB, 505x388px) Image search: [Google]
1475720072385.jpg
56KB, 505x388px
>>29491427
Good one, Anon
>>
>>29491406
>THE POINT IS A MENTAL LINK
but it's not the only pokemon to have multiple heads and therefore a mental link
you can't infer that from the design

>TELEPATHY JUSTIFIES PSYCHIC POWERS
This is from the dex entry
You're just using circular logic to prove that the design is right

You can make the association to ghost type based on the fact that it's an owl in the exact same way. Multiple people already have, you're just stubborn.
Owls hunt silently, are associated with death, and the robinhood design shows that it has to do with vengeance
There are honestly more reasons that the owl is a ghost type than exeggcute is a grass/psychic
>>
>>29491340
I see people use that, but this line of argument would go against his on Decidueyes being a ghost, since that's going off a name. Most of his argument is based on "this doesn't look like x, therefore is not." It would mean that he has to accept an argument being made for something else other than design, like the owl being a cultural symbol of death in other countries means Decidueye can be a ghost type. If he can accept something as simple as a name being why Alolan Exeggutor is a dragon type, that is.
>>
Owl in Malay is called Burung Hantu aka Ghost Bird
>>
>>29491502
DELET
>>
>>29491432
>But you can't infer that from the design
YES, YOU CAN. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, YOU CAN MAKE A REASONABLE CONNECTION EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T INFER IT YOURSELF.
EVEN KNOWING THAT THE OWL IS A GHOST, THE GHOST TYPE MAKES NO SENSE.
>it states that the pokemon works together because it's psychic
FUCKING IRRELEVANT. GAMEFREAK CLEARLY MADE IT A PSYCHIC TYPE BECAUSE IT USES MULTIPLE HEADS. IT'S A COMPLETELY REASONABLE CONNECTION WITH EVEN A BARE MINIMUM OF CONTEXT, YOU DON'T NEED SOME OBSCURE CULTURAL REFERENCE TO GET IT. YOU ARE JUST CHOOSING TO BE OBSTINATE ABOUT IT.

> which would more likely be dragon or water type because dragons and water types lay eggs
W E W L A D >>29489787
>>
>>29491474
mon·ster (mŏn′stər)
a. An imaginary or legendary creature, such as a centaur or Harpy, that combines parts from various animal or human forms.
b. A creature having a strange or frightening appearance.
2. Archaic An organism that has structural defects or deformities.
3. Informal A very large animal, plant, or object.
>>
>>29491355
>ALL BRAINS OPERATE WITH ELECTRICITY YOU IMBECILE.

Yes, which is exactly why having multiple brains is a better justification for Electric as Psychic.

Please keep proving my points for me, smart guy.
>>
A basilisk can be a ghost, no reason an owl can't.
>>
>>29485518
Listen man, I know you're baiting but still, you're reaching on the siren thing. Sirens show up in enough fairy tail and fiction, as well as the design even prior to evolution, that fairy is not a stretch whatsoever.

There have been a lot of dark type cats, Litten himself fits the bill, yeah the final evolution can fit into Fighting, the way I see that Emboar could fit into being a dark type as well, but it's really not that big of a deal and again, doesn't seem like that big of a stretch.

Rowlets line, sure. I get you there, I was actually super surprised when I saw its second typing was ghost. But I guess they're explaining it in the 'lore' to try and make it fit, which is a little bit better than just slapping it on and being like 'yeah this is a grass ghost dude it's very ghostly', but not by much. So I feel you on those last points but overall I don't really see much point to bitch about how they turned out, and at the very least they are quite unique starters, both conceptually and mechanically.
>>
>>29491547
>big bipedal angry fire starter that attacks stuff
>unique, both conceptually and mechanically
m8
>>
>>29491474
>having a design on its face that resembles glasses makes it anthro

Fucking how?
>>
File: ampharos-mega.jpg (33KB, 289x320px) Image search: [Google]
ampharos-mega.jpg
33KB, 289x320px
>>29491426
No, Meganium would not be fine as a dragon type. You ignored the rest of my point: dragons are not real, they're from mythological lore based around superstitions and concepts. That's why this fucker is a dragon. The whole reason Ampharos is a dragon is a play on its name, not its design.
>>
>>29491485
THE DEX ENTRY CONFIRMS THE JUSTIFICATION. IT IS NOT RELIANT ON IT TO MAKE SENSE. AGAIN, INFERENCE IS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, IT'S REASONABLE CONNECTION, AND YOU CAN REASONABLY CONNECT A MULTI-HEADED ORGANISM TO PSYCHIC POWERS KNOWING THOSE FACTS. THE DESIGN AND TYPE MATCH.

GHOST ISN'T JUST STEALTH OR PREDATION, ANY MORE THAN BEING A FIGHTER MAKES SOMETHING A FIGHTING TYPE. IT HAS MORE SPECIFIC CRITERIA RELATING TO INTANGIBILITY, POSSESSION AND THE OCCULT, ASPECTS THAT THE OWL DOES NOT HAVE.
>>
Thid sorta reminds me of the discussions we used to have about Rowlet possibly losing its flying typing for ground.

Its kinda funny seeing how things panned out. I think back then the biggest reasoning we had was due to the "powerful kicks" thing and just because it was fucking brown
>>
>>29491587
>long arms and legs
>archery
>glasses
>hooded cloak and pin
>second stage is a japanese archetype of a posh teenager

The legs are literally the only thing you can justify.
>>
>>29491511
>YES, YOU CAN
No, because most pokemon with multiple heads aren't psychic type
If multiple heads meant that the pokemon had some sort of mental link, then more pokemon would have been psychic type
Even if you could make that connection, and you can't, exeggcute being a grass type wouldn't make any sense
It's literally a nest of eggs
It would make sense if it were flying, dragon, or water because birds, reptiles, and fish all lay eggs, but you cannot tell that exeggcute is grass from the design either

It's still just circular logic
>GAMEFREAK CLEARLY MADE IT A PSYCHIC TYPE BECAUSE IT USES MULTIPLE HEADS
Again, most pokemon in that generation and all generations that had multiple heads weren't psychic
The other psychic pokemon in that generation didn't gain extra heads when they evolved, if anything they either lost heads or the heads stayed the same

>YOU DON'T NEED SOME OBSCURE CULTURAL REFERENCE
But there are plenty of pokemon that do need some obscure cultural reference to understand
Even within the ghost type you have Golett/Golurk (looks nothing like a ghost) and Sableye (which looks like it should be dark rock)

>W E W L A D >>29489787
This still doesn't answer how exeggcute's grass typing makes sense
>>
>>29491626
It's literally seeds bro. What do you want?
>>
>>29491526
BY YOUR LOGIC THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR PSYCHIC, SINCE ALL BRAINS OPERATE ON ELECTRICITY. AGAIN, POKEMON COULD BE ALL SORTS OF TYPES, BUT PSYCHIC IS ONE OF THE TYPES THAT MAKES SENSE ON THE AFOREMENTIONED EXAMPLES.

GHOST DOES NOT MAKE SENSE ON THIS BIRD
>>
>>29491600
But owls do have a relation to the occult and in many cultures too so yeah I guess it can be a ghost type then
>>
>>29491626
>This still doesn't answer how exeggcute's grass typing makes sense
I wonder why they made a bunch of seeds a grass type...
>>
>>29491600
>THE DEX ENTRY CONFIRMS THE JUSTIFICATION
Which is circular logic
You're saying that the design makes sense because something else corroborates what you say the design proves
that doesn't prove that the design makes sense, it just proves that

that's like me saying I have the power to make the sun rise in the morning and as proof of that, the sun rose
that doesn't mean that I have the power to make the sun rise, it just means that the sun rose

>GHOST ISN'T JUST STEALTH OR PREDATION
That doesn't mean it's completely unrelated to that

>IT HAS MORE SPECIFIC CRITERIA RELATING TO ... THE OCCULT
Yeah, which owls do
They are spooky night time animals that are often associated with death and spirits
Within hawaiian lore there are multiple references to owls being a part of the occult

What makes you think pokemon are designed around how easily you can get a reference to a pokemon that they make?
>>
First of all, not every type can be guessed just by looking at the design, but even so with context one can see it being so.

In this case its really simple
>ghost are related to shadows
>shadows are related to stealth

So stealth reasoning is the idea, it would use shadows as a method of sneaking, that's also why it wouldn't be hit by a fighting or normal type even if you can see its body. Just imagine it as avoiding the attack thanks to its "ghostly" (sneaking, stealth) powers.

>>29491600
I dont think you are trying to reason it, but being a ghost type doesnt mean a pokemon needs every specific criteria, many of them can only fit one of each you listed. And what I said before I think can really serve as a pivot. Shadows are a big thing in the ghost typing.
And this as an extra, might be dumb but also having that hoodie and in the leak images showing it covering more of the face with shadows makes me think of being hidden and of the occult
>>
>>29491626
>If multiple heads meant that the pokemon had some sort of mental link, then more pokemon would have been psychic type
THEY DON'T INHERENTLY MEAN THIS, BUT THEY DO JUSTIFY THAT POKEMON BEING A PSYCHIC TYPE. THERE IS ARBITRARY LEEWAY WITH TYPES SO LONG AS THE DESIGN JUSTIFIES THEM IN SOME WAY. SHITOWL DOES NOT JUSTIFY ITS GHOST TYPE.

YOU CAN REASONABLY ACCEPT THAT EXEGGCUTE IS A SEED, ESPECIALLY SINCE SEEDS AND EGGS ARE SIMILAR.

GOLURK IS BASED ENTIRELY ON A CULTURAL REFERENCE THAT SUGGESTS GHOST. OWL IS BASED ON A GENERIC FUCKING ANIMAL WITH ALL SORTS OF INTERPRETATIONS NOT LIMTIED TO "SPOOKY," AS WELL AS A CULTURAL REFERENCE IN ROBIN HOOD THAT HAS ABSOLUTELY FUCK ALL TO DO WITH GHOSTS.
>>
>>29491633
>It's literally seeds bro
>>29491665
>a bunch of seeds
But you can't tell that they are seeds
Named exeggcute (tamatama or eggegg/sphere sphere)
Without looking at the typing, you wouldn't be able to tell that those were seeds

And they honestly aren't seeds
they are more close to nuts or fruits because they are based off of a specific yokay who grows heads instead of fruits
>>
>>29491699
>they are more close to nuts or fruits
I wonder why they made a bunch of nuts or fruits a grass type...
>>
>>29491691
>BUT THEY DO JUSTIFY THAT POKEMON BEING A PSYCHIC TYPE
Which is just circular logic
The design makes sense because you can fit a narrative into it
You can't tell that the pokemon is psychic on first glance because it has nothing to do with any of the things that psychic pokemon are known for, but because there's a context it makes sense
But saying the design justifies the typing is a lie

>YOU CAN REASONABLY ACCEPT THAT EXEGGCUTE IS A SEED, ESPECIALLY SINCE SEEDS AND EGGS ARE SIMILAR
No, not at all
They have their similarities but you'd be looked at funny if you said eggs were just bird seeds

>GOLURK IS BASED ENTIRELY ON A CULTURAL REFERENCE
But you said exeggcute was a good design because it didn't entirely rely on an obscure reference
which means that golurk would be a bad design
yet here you are defending it because it makes sense to you

your entire argument is subjective
>>
>>29491682
I actually felt there was a vague Shaman-like aesthetic to Decidueye's hood after I saw how cloak-like it's wings looked at its side.
It's actually difficult to believe it can still fly with those flimsy cloth-like things in relation to its body size.
>>
>>29489827
>NOTHING ABOUT IT SAYS GHOST

But its Purple though?
>>
It could also be based on the owlman which is an occultic monster which could explain its ghost type
>>
>>29491723
>I wonder why they made a bunch of nuts or fruits a grass type...
But you can't tell those are nuts or fruits without knowing it's typing, they look more like eggs or little heads
which was my point
The typing gives the design context and but whether or not it justifies the typing is pointless because you can make any narrative fit any other one

And I said that they were fruits or nuts because literally, based on the reference, it would make more sense that they were fruits and not seeds
But the fact that you called them seeds means that you would have had to known they were grass types beforehand, because again, you can't tell from the design alone
>>
>>29491670
I DIDN'T SAY IT WORKS ONLY BECAUSE OF THE DEX ENTRY, YOU DID. I SAID IT'S CONFIRMED BY THE DEX BUT NOT RELIANT ON IT TO MAKE SENSE.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO EASILY INFER THE TYPE. YOU CAN EVEN BE TOLD THAT IT'S GRASS/PSYCHIC. BUT THE DESIGN REASONABLY CONNECTS TO BOTH OF THOSE TYPES WITHOUT ANY NEED FOR A DEX ENTRY.
OWL DOES NOT.

LOOSE RELATION IS NOT ENOUGH. AGAIN ALL POKEMON FIGHT BUT THEY ARE NOT FIGHTING TYPES UNLESS THEY FIT CERTAIN SPECIFIC CRITERIA.

OWLS DO NOT HAVE AN INHERENT RELATION TO THE OCCULT. IF IT`S BASED ON A SPECIFIC INTERPRETATION OF A GENERIC CREATURE THEN ITS DESIGN NEEDS TO CONVEY IT AS WELL. IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO SIMPLY HAVE IT AS THAT ANIMAL, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT LARGELY CONVEYS THE OPPOSITE OF INTERPRETATION.

>>29491760
IT'S NOT ABOUT FIRST GLANCE YOU FUCKING MONGOLOID. HOW MANY TIMES DOES THIS NEED TO BE SAID?
IT'S ABOUT BEING ABLE TO MAKE A REASONABLE CONNECTION TO THE TYPE FROM THE DESIGN ONCE YOU KNOW THAT TYPE, REGARDLESS OF HOW YOU LEARNED IT.
>>
>>29489992
>Grallistrix
>Dartrix
>the family greatly resembles stilt-owls (Grallistrix)
Really makes you think
>>
>>29491840
But owls do have an inherent connection to the occult through many cultures seeing them as omens and messengers of death and things don't have to fit perfectly into your little boxes to be something stop being stupid plz
>>
>>29491793
>But you can't tell those are nuts or fruits without knowing it's typing
But they aren't nuts or fruits. They're literally seeds. Nuts and fruits start out as seeds anyway.

We can assume that Exeggcutor is based on an actual fruit tree, but you could just as easily say this: http://hyakumonogatari.com/2012/06/03/jinmenju-the-human-face-tree/

Ghost/Dragon Alolan Exeggcutor Mega confirmed
>>
>>29491919
>But owls do have an inherent connection to the occult
NO, THAT IS JUST ONE INTERPRETATION. THEY CAN ALSO BE WISDOM, OR A GENERIC PREDATORY BIRD. IF YOU'RE GOING TO BASE IT ON OCCULT SYMBOLISM, DON'T DRESS IT UP IN A FUCKING BRIGHT ROBIN HOOD OUTFIT.

>things don't have to fit perfectly into your little boxes
YEAH, WHY SHOULD THERE BE ANY CRITERIA FOR ANYTHING, JUST SLAP RANDOM SHIT ON EVERYTHING
>>
File: 1477353014148.png (1MB, 988x573px) Image search: [Google]
1477353014148.png
1MB, 988x573px
>>29485920

Okay then explain Hoothoot and Noctowl you newfag rat.
>>
>>29491951
I mean its more than one country that thinks owls are occult related
>>
>>29491951
anon your caps lock is on
>>
>>29491951
>THEY CAN ALSO BE WISDOM
We already got that with Noctowl. Let's not do anything new ever, then.
>A GENERIC PREDATORY BIRD
That's the most boring shit possible and owls are characteristically more than just a generic predatory bird. Apart from ONE species of kiwi and the kakapo (or the owl parrot) they're the most major nocturnal birds on the planet. In fact, owls are the ONLY nocturnal birds of prey. It's a night-hunting animal that unsurprisingly gets a night-hunting Pokemon based off of it. That's more than just generic predation, that's claiming an entire niche like whales being the largest animals on the planet. Do you have some grudge against owls?
>>
Hey OP, looking at Drifloon without checking the Dex entry at all, tell me what type it looks like. Remember, purple does not mean Ghost.
>>
File: demonowl.jpg (32KB, 501x640px) Image search: [Google]
demonowl.jpg
32KB, 501x640px
This guy could also be a reason for him being a ghost but in my opinion hes a ghost because he is a sniper and a lot of countries including japan will call snipers ghosts
>>
>>29491840
>>29491951

Ok so please answer from the things that I said before >>29491682 , they might prove useful, and here is more

First, do you think lunala looks like a ghost? you probably could say you do, since it is like a bat, has purple-ish color, has some sort of skeleton figure, so yes, design wise it makes you think more of ghost type. Now what do these have in common?
>mostly nocturnal animals
>night related
>moon related
>night = dark = shadows
Lunala itself isn't a pokemon that has the lore criteria you look for, it just calls the moon. But even so it can be seen as a ghost type

Yeah you can think its not as evident, but it does work a bit better as a typing than flying or dark, why? Because first of all, dark isn't associated with shadows like ghost is, and while I get flying would be a good fit, I cant imagine how bad the flying model would look with its body proportions.

I don't think its random. Yes, color scheme isn't the most fitting (shiny does fit). Also, yes design isn't the most apparent, but when knowing about its typing, and even more so about the description people can easily get it.
In my mind it simply clicked
>owls
>night
>shadows
>hood/stealth
Your criteria can be fit to this pokemon in a way it makes sense to be ghost, not a first glance one, but is it really so hard to conceive as an idea?
>>
>make a couple posts at the start before heading to bed
>check back when I wake up
>OP's been at this for at least 6 fucking hours
>he's still going
>has to scream his opinions in caps lock to try and prove himself right
>completely loses it when someone proves him wrong
This is autism. Not as in the buzzword, but actual autism.
>>
>>29492169
/thread
>>
>>29492169
>Implying multiple anon haven't taken up the mantle
I was the second and came back at some point. Don't know how many there were between the second and when I came back, though.
>>
>>29492299
Because there must always be an Autistic Caps Lock Anti-Decidueye Ranter Man.
>>
File: a-exeggutor.jpg (19KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
a-exeggutor.jpg
19KB, 500x500px
>>29486493
>>29486776
alola exeggutor has nothing to do with being reptilian. it's dragon typing is referencing the dracaena plant....

>5/10 i replied.
>>
>>29485518
OP's story sounds wild but fits so damn well to what we got it might as well be true.
>>
>>29485518

>implying dark is about literal darkness/shadows rather than ghost
>implying dark is not precisely about fighting dirty

facepalm
Thread posts: 350
Thread images: 61

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.