[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is preventing your Pokemon, in particular Legendary, from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: Raikou.png (210KB, 650x800px) Image search: [Google]
Raikou.png
210KB, 650x800px
What is preventing your Pokemon, in particular Legendary, from running away from you the second they're out of the pokeball?
>>
>>29426841
That it would be a shit game mechanic.
>>
>>29426841
Either nothing, mind control, or the fact that you're a bomb-ass trainer and everyone loves you
>>
>>29426906
/thread
>>
>>29426923
isn't that all the MC is special snowflake
Still, i expect happines effect ability to fight and keep him from running away
>>
>>29426841
Nothing at all. They willingly submit to you.
>>
They don't feel like it.
>>
>>29426841
The lore says that a pokemon you catch will only BE caught if it accepts you as a trainer. Pokemon you fail to catch refuse to accept you as a trainer.
>>
>>29426841
It has been established that Pokeballs "re-program" captured Pokemon slightly to be loyal to you. Yes really.
>>
>>29426992
Also that pokeballs nerf legendary pokemon powers.
>>
>>29426923
Wasn't it implied by some random NPC text in the gen 5 games that Pokeballs somehow coax into listening to their trainers? I think it was an NPC that intentionally kept their Patrat or something outside a Pokeball, and said they don't listen to them as a result.
>>
>>29426992
which is why they'll listen to me without badges, right?
>>
>>29427018
If you're the OT then yeah they'll listen to you regardless of level.
>>
>>29426987
So you can't catch pokemon that they don't want to be trained?
>>
>>29426992
Pokeballs do make Pokemon friendly in general (see: luxury ball) but only to the extent that the Pokemon feels like. It doesn't give them total control over a Pokemon, lore wise. Though obviously for game mechanic purposes all Pokemon you catch are cool with you enough to not run away. That said, this kind of provides some interesting insight on how some Pokemon can think of their trainers

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dr._Footstep
>>
>>29427032
Yeah, unless you have a masterball, that thing brainwashes the pokemon entirely and is supposed to be the failsafe ball in case a wild pokemon gets too powerful, you know, mewtwo.
>>
>>29426841
I've always assume if they don't escape their pokeball during the capturing period they are okay with being around you.
>>
Also, there's a bit of futility in the prospect of running away. The ball has learned the codes to break down the Pokemon within. So a flee attempt could be swiftly met with a return to the ball.
>>
>>29427098
brb, using a Masterball on a Ralts
Sex Slave Gardevoir is finally happening, boiz
>>
>>29426987
>>29427032
That only makes me curious about what caused Articuno to change its mind between the first and fifteenth premier ball.
>>
>>29427079
>make you friendly
>but only if they felt like it ahead of time

It doesn't seem terribly better to make that distinction. Does it realize "potential friendliness"? Is that somehow less bad than imposing some kind of compulsion orl attraction? Either way you're getting a mind to a place it wouldn't have been without your intervention. It's mind alteration.

Say human minds are predisposed to enjoying heroin. But a particular human has never been exposed to heroin. You give them a shitload of heroin. That human now really fucking wants to form a heroin habit.

Pokemon are predisposed to serving humans. Pokeballs probably give them a shitload of pleasure, comfort, or other reinforcement for doing so in addition to the normal benefit that humans give directly (Pokemonamie, delicious Pokefoods, the thrill of battling, etc.) So the Pokeball is building friendliness based on what the Pokemon feels like ahead of time...but it's still a little questionable. It imposes Stockholm Syndrome.
>>
>>29427470
Your persistence, or it just gave up fighting back.
>>
>>29427470
probably admires your dedication, and I'm guressing wild pokemon battles are a bit more mobile than we see, so he also sees you've been chasing him THE FUCK ALL OVER THE CAVE despite being grounded and decides "Shit, maybe this guy is worth my time."
>>
>>29427522
I get where your coming from and its obvious pretty questionable when compared with real world ethics, but in this fantasy world it is suggested that Pokemon are actually free to go whenever they feel like and only choose to battle and attack trainers if they feel they are worthy in the first place. As soon as you see a Pokemon able to be captured, it is assumed that it has already consented to being captured. Pokemon generally benefit from trainers with food, shelter, companionship, and a level of training that can't be achieved in the wild. There are plenty of reasons for these battle monsters to seek out trainers and the only ones said to be bad are those from the evil team.

You could possibly argue that perhaps they have some kind of Stockholm syndrome, but it also seems possible that their morals change based on the trainers in the footstep quote "There are no Pokémon that dislike humans... Only humans that dislike Pokémon... We Pokémon are especially shunned... But Trainer always treats me as a friend and partner..." People in the Pokemon universe are responsible for treating Pokemon with kindness because they generally have nothing but good feelings for them.
>>
>>29427470
Legendaries seems like the ultimate "I want to test your strength" Pokemon. The ones that run are testing your patience because they are super annoying.
>>
>>29427723
Cigarette smokers are also free to quit anytime. Aaaanytime.
>>
>>29426841
when you capture a pokemon you re-structure its genes. Modified genes makes them dedicated to you. Similar to how the dog of the current year's dna is so different from its wild relatives such as wolves and coyotes. Pokeball is just the shortcut of evolution from wild to tamed.
>>
>>29427884
Like I said its arguable, it just depends on how much you choose to believe. I'm just presenting what is available as explanation.
>>
>>29426841
You're super special!

Because you're so special, Pokemon want to be captured by you, confined in small spaces for you, and fight one another... FOR YOU!

They wanted all this from the minute you encountered them. Cause you're you.
>>
>>29426841
The original game had a good explanation: Pokemon were just wild animals that were tamed. You tame them, you train them, and they grow to love and respect you almost like pets.
Recall that the Charcoal kid's Farfetch'd ran away from him because the kid had no badges i.e. his Pokemon did not respect him.
So yeah a combination of fear, respect, and training.

Now: Pokemon are willingly captured because of the stupid Gamefreak fuckery.
>>
Isn't it Canon that pokemon only jump at you from the tall grass if they either want to test your Strength and if you're gud enough, train them too?

Either that or they just want to straight up fuck you up. In which case I don't feel guilty about the pokeballs.
>>
>>29427079
>Dr._Footstep

One of my favorite parts of Diamond. I have a Crobat named Fangs who became my bro because of how moe its lines were.
>>
I like to pretend a Pokeball won't catch a Pokemon until that Pokemon submits mentally.
But the Masterball kinda fucks that up.

Maybe it's just really nice inside the Masterball.
>>
File: gardevoirmalebimbo.jpg (145KB, 909x766px) Image search: [Google]
gardevoirmalebimbo.jpg
145KB, 909x766px
>>29427394
Don't be too cruel to him...
>>
>>29426841
It still makes sense to me that the function of a pokeball is to turn a real pokemon into a digital one. That would explain why it can take a couple of tries, why you can't catch other trainer's pokemon, why you can trade them and store them in a computer, and why they can't run away.

When you release a pokemon you are just deleting it.

While this theory is not official or perfect it makes more sense to me than any other.
>>
File: 1474934813735.png (493KB, 1024x635px) Image search: [Google]
1474934813735.png
493KB, 1024x635px
>>29426841
If they run, my sylveon will hunt them down. They know this, so they don't run.
>>
>>29426841
Okay so I explained this huge theory I had involving this in a past thread, but I don't feel like typing it all out. So instead I'll post a condensed version below:

Pokemon, much like the Japanese culture they're based on, live in a prideful and massively-overpopulated world of fierce competition for food and resources. Between "fainting" pokemon and frequent tall grass encounters, there's simply too many to deal with.
When a trainer comes by to catch a Pokemon, the Pokemon either willingly gives in to being caught so that they receive care and food (easy low level Pokemon), or their pride in being trained by a truly worthy trainer who'll take them to the limit puts them in a position where they'll fight being caught as much as possible, hence why you need to lower their health until you've both tired them out, and convinced them you're a competent trainer.

Legendary Pokemon don't want to be caught, but if you beat them down enough then you've convincend them that you're a trainer worth guiding them. Unlike regular Pokemon, I believe if you were super evil for the sake of being evil, then a Legendary Pokemon would leave or turn against you.

I truly do like the idea this thread brought up that the Master ball brainwashes a Pokemon, though. It should be the one exception to a Pokemon willingly letting you lead them like I've explained above.
>>
File: 1472178890916.jpg (313KB, 1174x918px) Image search: [Google]
1472178890916.jpg
313KB, 1174x918px
>>29429981
>I believe if you were super evil for the sake of being evil, then a Legendary Pokemon would leave or turn against you.
I really like how this part is canon
>>
>>29430114
did she died?
>>
>>29430382
No.
She then got thrown down the pillar.
Then she was in a wheelchair for a while.
Then she got better.
>>
>>29427028
You're dumb and the badges specifically tell you what level pokemon will listen to you and what won't
>>
File: 1414365415426.jpg (106KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
1414365415426.jpg
106KB, 600x750px
The way I understand it, and I swear I read this somewhere somewhere official but fuck if I can remember where, is as follows.

Pokemon are all fairly prideful and competitive by nature, and have something of a contract with humans. They want to get stronger, and partnering with humans is the best way to do that. However, they also want their human partner to be worthy of them. This is where the battling and pokeballs come in. In order to catch a Pokemon, you usually have to weaken it. Kick its ass with another Pokemon you trained, show them that you're strong, and coming with you will make them stronger. You need to prove yourself by catching them.

The Pokeball is more or less the signing of the contract. You've successfully worn the Pokemon down and captured it, so it keeps its end of the bargain by listening to you until real loyalty and friendship develops.

Catch rates and shit are game mechanics; while you CAN catch a Pokemon without weakening it in the game, lorewise that's usually not how it's done. The Master Ball is kind of fucked up.
>>
>>29426841
catching a pokemon is their test for if you're worth their respect, anon.

this is why pokemon you catch /yourself/ don't care about Gym Badges, and will listen to you no matter what.

only traded pokemon have that chance of not listening to you because, hey, guess what, they don't know you, the only way they'd have any idea how strong you are is through badges.

aka; the anime fucked up all our perceptions because of Charizard the meme man.
>>
>>29430625

That's only for traded Pokemon

>>29427394

That takes the fun out of it
>>
>>29430625
that's a very common misconception anon. Badge number actually only pertains to traded Pokemon. Blew my mind when I found out while watching one of Nappy's vids
>>
>>29430872
>while you CAN catch a Pokemon without weakening it in the game

I think that is easily explained. While one way for Pokemon to know if you are strong is to have their shit kicked in. Pokemon can also generally tell how strong a Pokemon is just by looking at it.

They can tell the difference in levels just by judging how a Pokemon handles itself. Is it confident? What's it's stance like? How big is it's flame, electricity? Seeing that can make a Pokemon submit to you just as well as beating it up, which is why level difference is part of the capture rate formula.
>>
>>29427011
no they don't
>>
>>29426841
Pokeballs brainwash the pokemon into your loyal slave, no more taming bullshit just catch it and its now your slave isnt the technology in pokemon just amazingg?
>>
R-e-s-p-e-c-t
>>
>>29426987
WHY DIDN'T YOU LOVE ME SHINY BASCULIN IN XY?
>>
>>29430114
>shitty comic
>canon
>>
>>29427470
Probably understood that getting more bruises on its head with those fucking metal balls is bad.
>>
>>29433578
They do actually, that's why Cyrus has to make the Red Chain and just hands you a Masterball. It says as much ingame.
>>
>>29433659
>zinnia guro
>bad

pick one
>>
>>29426841
Love, Harry.
>>
>>29433659
manga canon =/= game canon
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.