[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

noob improvement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: what.png (38KB, 197x77px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
38KB, 197x77px
a thread for those who don't fully understand the game yet and for the more expereinced who have useful tips to share.

I my self, have just recently got into the competetive scene, so I qualify as a noob.

so heres my questoin: what should I be investing in? defence or hp? thus far I've almost always prioritised defence over HP, although I'll invest in hp over defence if the pokemons HP is already really high. I'm a little confused, what should I be doing here?
>>
File: 1418154841945.png (2MB, 1948x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1418154841945.png
2MB, 1948x1800px
>>29426086
As much as
>Smogon
There is a lot of useful information on there. Look up the Pokemon you want to use and there will generally be a few good sets for it.

The stats you invest in is entirely dependent on the Pokemon you're leveling as well as what you expect to face. Most times all you need is one more point in speed than the opponent to outspeed unless they have some kind of speed control (Tailwind, Sticky Web, Icy Wind, etc)

It's good to try out sets on Pokemon Showdown and/or in the calculator they have available.

Pic attached is a pretty comprehensive guide on breeding and training for competitive.
>>
File: lol kkkk.png (234KB, 704x538px) Image search: [Google]
lol kkkk.png
234KB, 704x538px
>>29426183
Op here, as useful as smogon WAS, I don't like using other peoples sets. also smogon is a singles meta, where as I prefer doubles
>>
>>29426086
HP investment is almost always better unless a Pokemon has a very high HP stat and a very poor defensive stat, like Chansey or Blissey. Investing in Max HP increases your overall bulk by a lot more than investing in one defensive stat, although a physical attack usually does more damage to a Max HP pokemon than a Max Defense pokemon. The overall increases cause of max HP is almost always worth it, because it's just a safe stat to invest in for a defensive mon.

Also, never do split defenses as a rule of thumb. a Pokemon with 252 HP, and the rest split between defenses is notably bulkier than a pokemon with max Defense and Special defense and no HP, unless it naturally has a stupidly high HP stat. here's some calc so you can see.
>252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 118-139 (34.6 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
>252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 128+ Def Mew: 132-156 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 98.6% chance to 3HKO

Also, here's the reason why you shouldn't usually invest in HP on pokemon like chansey.
Chansey's default HP is 641, and max hp is 704. So max HP investment gives a 9.6% increase in HP. Compare that to something like Ferrothorn, which gets a 21% increase in HP with max investment. If you really want to increase Chansey's bulk efficiently, invest in Defense. Since Chansey's base defense is so low, it can get a 259% increase in Defense from max investment.
>>
>>29426362
so basically hp is the way to go with the exclusoin of pokemon with already very high hit points?
>>
>>29426293
jfc that is a shitty set. Leftovers is better than Big Root, because where Big Root increases Aqua Ring healing by 30%, Leftovers essentially doubles it. And the extra healing from Drain punch isn't usually worth it unless you can do a lot of damage with it.

another question, do you know what STAB is? I get the impression that you don't, and I'm resisteing the urge to point and laugh
>>
>>29426423
yeah that. Basically everything except chansey and blissey. And even then they don't need the special defense that much.
>>
>>29426435
yeah, thats an old picture from before I did the math and worjed out that leftover are objectively better, the only reason I haven't changed it is because of the item clause (I already spent leftovers on a rain dish ludicolo) and he's using an asualt vest.

also, yeah I feel pretty dumb, I'm going to switch out venoshock for hydro pump
>>
>>29426474
what about other very high hp pokemon like driblim and whailord
>>
>>29426802
Sure, they have pretty bad defenses too. Personally I would never run any defenses or hp on those two though
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.