[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graphical style

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_0339.jpg (46KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0339.jpg
46KB, 470x313px
Does anyone else miss the more simplistic graphics style of gen 3, before it started to get more and more 3D? I feel like the new 3D style just doesn't have that same nice feeling like the older games, and it just generally looks worse too.
>>
File: OlivineCity_nite.png (32KB, 659x521px) Image search: [Google]
OlivineCity_nite.png
32KB, 659x521px
>>29394562
no, gen 3 looked like shit.

Gen 2 was the comfiest one. Best palette in the series, especially during nighttime
>>
>>29394562
Welcome to progress, bitch. Your imagination fueled nostalgia has no power here.
>>
>>29394562
What you're feeling is called nostalgia. Don't let it ruin your enjoyment of new stuff.
>>
>>29394562
>reason #42563 someone doesn't like the new games

Aside from the fact that Gen 3 looked like rancid shit and you should hang yourself for having such awful taste, every game has a unique style. SM objectively looks amazing compared to other mainline Pokemon games and if you can't see that because your head is too far up your ass being nostalgic then you can fuck right off.
>>
>>29394562
I can somewhat understand the "ambiance" argument (though I disagree), but "generally looking worse" is just 100% bullshit. It's a tileset, so every patch of grass looks exactly the same and is obviously square. Every tree is the same. The ledges look like shit. Now with SM we have something that looks like an actual environment rather than a uniform set of pieces assembled into a map.
>>
>>29394601
>>29394585
Actually, the GBA games ran at 60 fps, (the only pokemon games to do so) so what OP is feeling might not be nostalgia.
>>
Are you all serious? The new 3D games look terrible because the 3DS has no graphical capability to make something that looks good. The scenery from the old games was so much more detailed, and it just had a generally more detailed aesthetic.
>>
>>29394585
>progress
Why do liberals use this as a synonym for "regress?"
>>
>>29394638
OP is talking about graphical style, not framerate.

>>29394648
>the 3DS has no graphical capability to make something that looks good

I can't tell if you're baiting or if you're genuinely that blinded by nostalgia.
>>
The 2D graphics are nostalgic but I don't miss them. The 3D has its own appeal and and I feel it achieves an atmosphere the design team intended.

>>29394578
>gen 3 looked like shit
hoenn had a mood that was, in my opinion, enhanced really well by the graphics
>Best palette in the series
wow ok no please stop
>>
Absolutely, the last two games I just couldn't get into it without seeing it as some wacky spinoff. I've even decided to not give SuMo a chance.
>>
>>29394696
cool
>>>/blog/
>>
RSE looked so fucking ugly, jesus christ. The style they went with just makes it look like what the games are: utter trash.
>>
It was alot faster. Animations drag thins out alot
>>
>>29394648
>"detailed"
>every patch of tall grass is broken up into uniform squares that look exactly the same
>forests of identical trees
>cities full of nearly identical buildings, to the point where you can immediately tell which buildings have plot relevance at first glance because they use a different sprite

Come on. You're not even talking about gens 4-5 where they start playing around with pseudo-3D.
>>
File: pointless bait.png (24KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
pointless bait.png
24KB, 625x626px
>this thread

I love how the previous Gens look, Gen 2 especially, but I don't 'miss' it and I'd certainly never choose that style over the current one.
>>
>>29394562
I miss sprites. I wish graphics technology never advanced past the 90s
>>
>>29394562
While I do like the graphics, I just hate the palette. It's so lifeless..
>>
>>29394578
Gen II definitely had the best night-time palette out of any of them. None of the other games actually seem like night, it's too bright.
>>
>>29394562
I argue that it peaked at HG/SS. B2W2 came very, very close.
>>
>>29394562
the worst games to look were bw and b2w2, man, those pixels were disgusting and ugly. the game is awful to look at
>>
File: comp.png (50KB, 720x1166px) Image search: [Google]
comp.png
50KB, 720x1166px
>>29394562
never fully got into Gen 3 since I'm player 2
ended up making me like Gen 2 a lot
>>
gen 4 were the best looking of the 2d games imo, by far. best looking overworlds and battle sprites

gen 5 had mega issues with the worst in-battle sprites in the series (those dumb pixilated sprites with awkward as fuck animations were just horredous) and awkward attempts at combining 3d overworld with 2d sprites like in castelia city and that bridge

the models are obviously better than the sprites though in 98% of cases (only bad models are the fliers, fuck sky battles)
>>
>>29394562
I hate the transition to 3D. BW style was a step in the right direction, it just needed to be polished a bit more.
But I get it, they need to stay 'fresh'.
>>
File: tryharder.jpg (111KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tryharder.jpg
111KB, 1440x1080px
the worst part is this look like it's trying hard to be beatiful, good and modern, but just looks terrible. the characters are literally my mom's bomberman. they should passed hgss style to xy style
>>
File: 1335793724162.jpg (75KB, 312x312px) Image search: [Google]
1335793724162.jpg
75KB, 312x312px
>>29397456
>that gen 4 puke green grass
>>
Eww no bitch get out
>>
>>29397551
>puke green grass
I would urge you to go see a doctor if your puke looks like that.
>>
Gen III is the worst looking Generation, at least RSE. RGB can have a delusional argument about stylization with the battle sprites, but RSE just looks bad in battle and overworld.

Gen II has the best aesthetics. RGB is weak, but not bad. Gen III, or at least RSE, is bad. The rest are alright. I actually like the look of the overworld in VI a ton, especially XY with its more "muted" colors, but I realize I'm in a minority there.
>>
>>29397456
>they just reused assets for HGSS
fucking gamefreak
>>
>>29394562
XY's 3D was terrible. SM's is fine.
>>
>>29394731
You're not wrong, but we just replaced identical 2D grass patches and tree with identical 3D grass and tree models. I don't really see how that's an improvement. There's still a lot samey-looking buildings in gen 6 as well.

Personally I would've preferred detailed 2D spritework over 3D models, but I understand why they didn't do the former.
>>
> Generation 3 sucked ass
But it sold over 22 million copies worldwide... Seems to me that people liked Generation 3 :/
>>
>>29398784
It's more objective, vp hates gen 3 for some reason even though a good chunk of the board started there.

That being if it were down to sales numbers gens 1-3 would eclipse ever other gen especially gen 5.
>>
>>29394638
>the only games to do so
Pretty sure B/W are 60 fps
>>
I played since Gen I, and as much as I like the sprites and everything, I think going 3D is inevitable and with how SM looks I think they'll get better over time.

The next step would be VR?
>>
>>29394562
I agree, Gen 3's visuals were the perfect balance. Not as limited as the previous two gens, without off-putting 3D models like the following three. I'm optimistic about Gen 7 though.
>>
gotta wait for Pokemon Switch to get 60 FPS back.
alternatively, wait for citra to become more optimised.
>>
File: 1473612695612.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473612695612.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
>>29394562
>tfw you'll never see SM like this on your DS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbxQXwwURPY
>>
File: images.jpg (13KB, 255x197px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 255x197px
>>29394562
>Pokemon will forever have boring, stale, and badly animated models that will create lots of lag
>We are gonna have 3D shoved down our throats from here on out

Why is it that they feel the need to do This? Look at Gen VI, and the S/M demo. It's obvious that GF can't into 3D. Just go back to sprites and make a gorgeous, and comfy game again like Platinum, HG/SS, and the Gen V games.
>>
>>29397538
kek
>>
>>29394578
Gen second folk are beginning to get worse than genwunners, never thought I'd live to see this day.
>>
I hate how newer gens handle the "ends" of the map. Instead of a cliff or the usual tows of trees, it's some knee high bush?
>>
>>29401925
t. underage
>>
File: shit brown islands.png (35KB, 300x324px) Image search: [Google]
shit brown islands.png
35KB, 300x324px
>>29394578
>>
>>29404183
Loss?
>>
>>29394578
Gen 2 at night looks fucking great, but in terms of aesthetics I vastly prefer late Gen 4
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.