[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

190 Pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: Dragon4.jpg (14KB, 277x232px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon4.jpg
14KB, 277x232px
PSA: the next time you have a chance to speak to a Game Freak employee who worked on Red and Green, be sure to remember to ask them about Pokemon that were among the 190 that were designed for, but scrapped from the final Generation 1 games.

Supposedly some of the scrapped designs made it into the later generations. Others, like #174 Dragon4 here are gone, for better or worse.

For reference (ignore the Johtomon in brackets, they mean absolutely nothing in terms of Gen 1 development period)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_index_number_(Generation_I)
>>
File: 1477186453738.png (5KB, 365x241px) Image search: [Google]
1477186453738.png
5KB, 365x241px
You mean 190 planned 151 released and finalized?
I always wonderd what the scrapped 39 were though.
>>
>>29385434
Probably even 40 scrapped. Remember, Mew was added after the development tools were removed, at the first free space. So #021 may have been yet another Pokemon.
>>
>>29385384
And now they are making games with less pokemon, that's sad.
>>
File: missingno-pokemon.jpg (75KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
missingno-pokemon.jpg
75KB, 1200x675px
>>29385384

MissingNo is evidence of that.
>>
>>29385573
MissingNo. Is the corrupt files of those unkown pokemon that weren't removed from the game basically.
>>
>>29385573
True. Some of them even have unique cries
intact, meaning that they were already quite
developed.

For example, #079 has a cry similar to Zubat,
and may have belonged to a beta Crobat. That
would make it the first of its line to be conceived
(Zubat was #107, Golbat #130) which would
explain why it's more similar in design to Zubat
than to Golbat.
>>
>>29385726
Oops, I meant #069. Maybe Golbat was the third one, or trade evo at first. It definitely is an
odd part of the Zubat line. Another weird thing that I often talk about on /vp/ is the Wartortle-Blastoise
split. There's some evidence suggesting that Wartortle was supposed to evolve into a different
Pokemon at first, the one with the index number #181. Similar with Dragonair and Dragonite.
>>
>>29385573
MissingNo wasnt in the japanese games
>>
>>29385929
>There's some evidence
link? I'm legit curious.
>>
>>29387256
Sorry, I can't provide any link, it's just my hypothesis. First of all, Charmander and Squirtle
lines are arranged in an alternating pattern in the index number list on the numbers 176-180.
Charmander line is complete, but Squirtle line misses Blastoise (#028, so it was developed
quite early).

Second, the design. Wartortle loses its furry and squirrel-like features in exchange for guns.
If they made Squirtle and Wartortle with Blastoise in mind, they would have anticipated
its most noticable and memorable element in the designs of its previous forms, right? Even
the belly patterns and the skin tones differ greatly. Wartortle's original evolution certainly
expanded on its physical features.

The last piece of evidence is the cries. Squirtle and Wartortle have a consistent base cry
(melody), but Blastoise is an odd one out, sharing its base cry with Kakuna and Beedrill.
#181 on the other hand is one of the few Missingnos with its cry still in the game, and
it's the same base cry as Squirtle and Wartortle.

All that leads me to believe that there was another squirell-turtle that Wartortle evolved into.
>>
File: obligatory.png (216KB, 782x293px) Image search: [Google]
obligatory.png
216KB, 782x293px
>>29387668
This explains why Wartortle's design makes no sense. I assume the Dragonair /Dragonite is a similar case.
Any info on Butterfree / Venomoth?
>>
>>29387910
About Dragonair and Dragonite - Dragonite was the first one designed (#066), then at one point
in development they started adding entire two-stage families one after another,
Dratini-Dragonair being one of them (#088 and #089). It seems that they didn't plan on adding
three-stage families until #112 (Weedle family), because only after that did they add a third part
to already existing evolution families. So yeah, Dragonite was its own thing at first. Maybe even
had its own pre-evolution.

As for the Venomoth-Butterfree controversy, it's either been a fuck-up or a deliberate action.
Caterpie line was added all at once (#123-#125). Venonat and Venomoth are #065
and #119 respectively. The numbers don't tell us anything, so it may have been an accidental
design swap.
>>
File: fascinating.gif (833KB, 460x258px) Image search: [Google]
fascinating.gif
833KB, 460x258px
>>29388178
>>
>>29387910
>>29388178
Then again, moths transform from hairy larvae. I'm not too big on that theory. It's just the eyes that are similar.
>>
File: butter and moth.jpg (205KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
butter and moth.jpg
205KB, 600x400px
>>29388248
>>
>>29388178
It can't be an accidental swap when Caterpie's line as is has a consistent theme of asian swallowtails with their eyespots being their actual eyes. A pokemon based on mimicry is going to look like another pokemon, especially with how Gen 1 recycled design elements.
>>
>>29388334
I wish this would be retconned
>>
>>29388362
Fair point.

>>29388334
The order in which they were put in the game is as follows: Venonat, Venomoth, then the entire
Caterpie line shortly after Venomoth. It's not improbable that they reused a few design
elements from line to line.
>>
>>29385384
You basically answered your own question with that link. The extra 39 mons were all carried over to gen 2 and the missing no.s are the leftover data for them. Thats why they had Ho-oh in the first episode of the anime long before GSC brcause it was designed very early on. As for stuff like Scizor, Skarmory, and Houndour, they were probably different types and retroactively changed like Magnemite. Does Scizor really look metal to you?
>>
>>29388838
That's why I said that the Gen 2 Pokemon in brackets should be disregarded from this
discussion. That's just how GSC interprets the Missingno data and doesn't necesarrily mean
that these Pokemon were designed with 1st gen in mind. Notice that they are put in a National Dex in a seemingly random list.

As for Ho-oh, anime debuted in April 1997 in Japan, well into GSC development. Doesn't
mean that it was made for RGB. Hell, even Morimoto said that it wasn't:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/there-were-190-pok%C3%A9mon.78267/
>>
File: 265Wurmple_original.png (1023KB, 2000x1201px) Image search: [Google]
265Wurmple_original.png
1023KB, 2000x1201px
>>29388413
Not going to happen. Enjoy your consolation prize.
>>
>>29389147
>Translator: "Yes; we decided to save the rest of the designs for later"
How does that not lend to the the idea of the extra 39 appearing in later gens and not just being concepts lost to time?
>>
>>29385384
if you ask masuda he'll just say "I don't know" like when I tried to ask him stuff at worlds
>>
>>29389391
It does mean that some of them were indeed reused (Crobat), some of them are yet to appear,
and some we will probably not see ever. Also note
that the translation of this interview could be far from perfect.
>>
>>29389441
Then fucking ask Sugimori or Morimoto. I'm hoping for an AMA some day around SunMoon release.
>>
File: bea.jpg (114KB, 373x1280px) Image search: [Google]
bea.jpg
114KB, 373x1280px
the beta evolutions of weedle were probably reworked into ledian
>>
>>29389645
>Weedle? evolves into Puncharacha
>Crowned Polywrath
>Dragonair3?
Where can I find a translation of that?
>>
>>29389782
its not dragonair3, its the beta version of dragonair

that crown might have been the inspiration of using the kings rock to evolve into politoed
>>
Honestly, a lot of the ideas from Capsule Monsters sounded pretty interesting.
>>
>>29387056
This. Missingno is certain barfed out data given consistent form
>>
>>29389904
I love the sketch of the guy's shady shop with a rhydon fetus in a jar
>>
>>29385621
>>29390201
Well to be fair there are spefic values that call out Pokemon (as in using the new glitch)

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch#List_of_encounter_values

These all exist in the order they were programmed and certain spots just have gaps in them

Rhydon being the first Pokemon wa confirmed in an interview on an iwata asks

So it's more than likely it's not a coincidence
>>
>>29390356
*especially since many evolution lines are programmed together
>>
>>29389496
There was that scubbing bubbles pokemon. I wish they'd modify him and add him to a future game :c
>>
>>29390426
Source?
>>
>>29387056
What are you talking about.
>>
>>29390283
What
>>
>>29390555
It wasn't. Missing no is a form unique to RB

They did have their more unstable form of the same glitch however
>>
>>29388838
No, the 39 Pokemon who were put into the blank slots were put there because the spaces were open, not because they had those values in some ancient build of the game. Hell, fucking Lugia is in those 39 slots, and we know from Takeshi Shuudo's blog that it was designed specifically for the second Pokemon movie.
>>
File: 639px-Mart_Sketch.jpg (91KB, 639x599px) Image search: [Google]
639px-Mart_Sketch.jpg
91KB, 639x599px
>>29390583
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.