[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HOW DO WE SAVE THE MONSTER CATCHING GENRE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_2110.jpg (102KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2110.jpg
102KB, 500x375px
WHATS YOUR DREAM GAME FAGGOT
>>
FUCKIN JUST END THE SERIES WITH A GAME WERE YOU CAN ACCESS ALL REGIONS AND SHIT
>>
>>29365626
WRONG
WRONG
WROOOOONG
>>
>>29365626
AND MAKE IT AN MMORPG
>>
>DIFFICULTY SETTINGS
>EXTENSIVE POSTGAME
THAT'S ALL I FUCKING ASK, GAME FREAK
>>
IT'S IKE POKEMON

BYT THE POKEMON ARE ALL WEIRD ASS MONSTERS
LIKE WEIRDER THEN WE HAVE NOW
>>
>>29365650
FUCK POKEMON
I WANT A NEW FRANCHISE WITH COOLER MONSTERS AND STORY AND GAMEPLAY
>>
>>29365601
A GAME WHERE EVERY TRAINER AND GYM LEADER SCALES TO BE ON YOUR LEVEL OR SLIGHTLY HIGHER AS YOU CHALLENGE THEM.
AREAS WHERE YOU ENCOUNTER WILD POKEMON SCALE AS WELL, BUT ONLY THE FIRST TIME YOU ENCOUNTER A POKEMON IN THAT AREA. AFTER THAT, THEY ARE ALL IN THE RANGE GENERATED BY THE SCALE.
>>
>>29365601
WHAT ARE WE YELLING ABOUT?
>>
>>29365658
So digimon?
>>
>>29365691
WHAT?
I CANT HEAR YOU
>>
>>29365601
release it outside of japan
>>
>>29365626
>>29365643
XD
>>
>>29365626
Worst idea.
>>29365643
Both are terrible.
>>
>>29365626
AND WE GOT A MEDIOCRE GAME WITH LIMITED REGION , AND DESIGNS .
>>
>>29365737
Jade cocoon was released on the ps1 outside of japan, then they made Jade cocoon 2 and it all fucked up.

And best way to save the monster catching genre is to make more of them.
As we are, we got pokemon, digimon, SMT and yokai watch.
Everything else is Iphone crap.
There needs to be much more variety in the games. Imagine Torchlight, but make reverse the rolls of you and your pet, and add a fuck ton more monsters.
>>
File: pan trio by_rajewel.png (1MB, 1280x989px) Image search: [Google]
pan trio by_rajewel.png
1MB, 1280x989px
These are the most basic things that keep a monster game going. I'm stripping things down to it's simple core, so things like customization and day/night cycles aren't listed.

Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

>1: Good designs
Pokemon has these which is why it stays on top despite everything else slipping. Monster Rancher and YoKai Watch are close contenders.

>2: Balanced Gameplay
Pokemon doesn't have this outside of the Mystery Dungeon spinoff series. Period. Monster Rancher was closer with most monsters of a certain rank being similar in power level. If memory serves Digimon had/has decent balance but crap designs.

>3: Good Lore/Worldbuilding
Pokemon got this right early on which killed off Monster Rancher. Monster Rancher, despite being a better game didn't have much lore and what was there was gloomy. The anime was a mess that explained itself in the final episode which was actually banned in the USA for being depressing. The Worldbuilding on Digimon made it survive having meh monster designs but the theme of "computer monsters" was too 90's to last once the dot com bubble burst.

Mix good designs, balanced gameplay and good worldbuilding and you have a winner.
>>
>>29365643
WITH SKYRIM GRAPHICS
>>
>>29365870
>I'm stripping things down
mmm yes good keep going
>>
>>29365601
I loved the body morphing system in Jade Cocoon. You could make some weird hybrids over time by fusing monsters together.
>>
>>29365870
>Digimon had/has decent balance but crap designs.
I think in the later games you could use previous forms looks while using end game stats, so that's something it has over pokemon.

I don't think monster rancher really works to well, I prefer to go on an adventure with my monsters. I didn't like hanging out in a farm all day.
>>
>>29365601
Holy shit I had no idea Jade Cocoon had a comic. Is there more?
>>
File: 260px-Jade_Cocoon.jpg (21KB, 260x265px) Image search: [Google]
260px-Jade_Cocoon.jpg
21KB, 260x265px
>>29365601
But my dream game already exists.
>>
>>29365722
go back to your reddit trash talk threads man.
>>
>>29365870
From what I personally loathed in Yokai Watch as a longtime fan of Pokemon, SMT, hell even some Monster Rancher and Digimon titles, and dabbled in DQ:M there's three other major things.
1: Ability to capture/recruit a monster are reasonable. Even SMT's infamous demon negotiations are better than YW's bullshit odds and even Dragon Quest: Monster's work.
2: Evolutions. The most appealing thing from these games. Try to make it, within reason, as accessable that if someone REALLY likes a particular monster, there's a way to carry it through.
3: Set up a proper system of weaknesses, elemental or otherwise, that further presses the need for strategy an team building into what makes a truly competant set up.
>>
File: hitmonlee high jump kick.jpg (118KB, 600x613px) Image search: [Google]
hitmonlee high jump kick.jpg
118KB, 600x613px
>>29365922
Yeah, being able to use end game stats with any monster form is part of the balance. Digimon is unique that your bros can nearly always stay competitive.

Monster Rancher actually is about rearing monsters who then go on adventures with you. Typically this was a dungeon-crawl used to find more monsters, more gear, and supplies for training and raising monsters. There also was an area mode for once your team is all ready to go.

>>29365907

OK, once you have decent designs and balanced gamplay you need to decide what kind of monster game it's going to be. This should tie into the worldbuilding or it will all feel flat and hollow.

There are three main types of Monster game: Battling, Exploration, and Breeding. Most games have some facet from each genre but generally pick one as their "main".

Pokemon is a battle game. The main world exists as an excuse to fight pokemon and trainers. Breeding and training is there just to make stronger fighting monsters. Sun/Moon is doing away with HM slaves as I understand it because the focus is battle.

In contrast we have games like Dragon Crystal which are all about exploring and adventure. Everything the monster does for you is there to help you get further on the adventure. Monster Rancher has this to some extent, mostly in the (very unpopular) Monster Rancher Evo where everything was focused on non-battle everyday things the monsters could do. Evo didn't flop for being non-battle, though: it used crappy minigames and got repetitive. These are cardinal sins in any game.

Monster Breeding games exist all over the internet as "Pet sims". In these games fighting and exploration is pushed back to a minimum in favor of fanciful designs, bright colors, and sometimes complex genetics systems.

....am I missing anything?
>>
>>29366006
I almost forgot about Shin Megami Tensei! Honestly, I found it to get super repetitive with a very convoluted monster combining mechanic that made playing the game more of a chore than fun. If there was any way to streamline the monster combining the grinding could be forgiven, but right now as of Devil Summoner Overclocked it's no good.

Fun worldbuilding and good designs, though!
>>
>>29366006
This
And the combat in Yokai watch is trash.

Things that I think is needed for a good game though, Is good evolution paths.
Theres nothing worse than Leveling up a monster since the start of the game, and it turns into something you hate.
Or being forced to evolve them or you don't get anywhere.
I had a slime I loved in SMT
But I had to evolve it into a fucking Shiva thing.
>>
>>29365601
>WHATS YOUR DREAM GAME FAGGOT
sun and moon
>>
>>29366206
>Monster Rancher actually is about rearing monsters who then go on adventures with you
Then I didn't get that far, or played the wrong one.

I think pixelmon is actually a great idea for a pokemon clone.
Or ARK but with monsters.
>>
Fossil Fighters is an underrated series
>>
>>29366292
Yeah, you had to get past a certain point for the dungeons, expiditions and the arena to open up. If you didn't have monsters at a certain level they wouldn't let you go as you would flat out die. The fact that it's not apparent that there's more to the game than a senpai sim from the beginning probably scared a lot of people off.

Monster Rancher is a much slower RPG than Pokemon. Pokemon is more like Final Fantasy, Monster Rancher is more like Princess Maker.

I bet Dragon Crystal's problem is that it just dumps you in. It's an early monster/roguelike that really didn't take off in the USA.

There definitely needs to be enough to keep players interested but they shouldn't be dumped in blind unless you want to go in blind. Pokemon needs the tutorial skip for this reason. I love games where you can skip the tutorial and come back to it later if you needed it after all. More games need to do this.
>>
>>29366411
Farm sim, not sempai sim. Typo tripped the filter.
>>
I love Dragon Quest Monsters. I've always loved the breeding system, specifically. I would like a game which combines elements from the breeding system which allows stats and skillsets to be passed down from parent to offspring in a game like Pokémon. I think breeding/synthesising two creatures to create more powerful ones is super appealing.
>>
>>29366316
Except for the latest one on 3ds. When they force you to drive around in a fucking car, and have npc forced to fight with you.
STOP USING ALL MY POWER POINTS FOR A FUCKING HEADBUTT YOU SHIT!
>>
>>29366697
DQ2 remake is fun as fuck
>>
>>29367055
The latest one wasn't made by the people who made the first two
>>
>>29367120
Ok, but it's still a fossil fighter game.
>>
File: 1472526664655.png (171KB, 346x297px) Image search: [Google]
1472526664655.png
171KB, 346x297px
>>29365601
You mean as in a non-Pokémon game?

I've always wanted one where the player character plays a more active role in monster fights, maybe not going directly out into battle but maybe where they heavily support their monster companions with stat boosts and such.

I've always loved monster fusion in games but they usually either have too few able to do it or don't do it just the way I like (it's a lot more fun when they result in unique monsters).

Some sort of in-game calendar for special events would be pretty nifty, I suppose.

Also tons of really obscure and odd secrets, both big and small, like the sort of fake secrets you would hear kids in school say about Pokémon games when you were a kid. Not only would it cause players to explore every nook and cranny of the game but it would also spark conversation and keep people coming back for more.

And game making is so accessible these days I really just wanna make it myself.
>>
Make a Persona game in mechanics and style of story, but with Pokemon. I would literally suck at least three (3) Nintendo employee's dicks for that. Hell, make it three in every branch.
>>
>>29366316
>>29367055

Only the first one was good. The second tried too hard, and the third just didn't try at all.
>>
File: Yokai-Watch-demon.jpg (185KB, 1200x842px) Image search: [Google]
Yokai-Watch-demon.jpg
185KB, 1200x842px
pic related is saving the monster catching genre
>>
>>29367586
Is that the "for the glory of satan" bear in the background?
>>
>>29365888
>>29365643
I love when normies meme shit like this and don't even realize they're memeing
>>
>>29367650
Actually yeah it is

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/05/meet-kumamon-yo-kai-watch-2/
>>
>>29365601
TACTICAL RPG LIKE FF TACTICS BUT YOU USE MONSTERS, COOL EDGY MONSTERS.
>>
>>29367825
So like FF Tactics
>>
>>29367650
Yes, Kumamoto is part of a sidequest.

>>29367825
Pokemon Conquest?
>>
>>29365601
BATTLE SYSTEM NOT DESIGNED AROUND WEAKNESS/RESISTANCE

BATTLES INVOLVE MOVING YOUR MONSTERS AROUND ON A GRID

HEAL AFTER EVERY BATTLE SO THEY CAN INSERT ACTUAL DIFFICULTY AND NOT JUST HAVE EVERYTHING BE BASED ON ATTRITION

MORE ADULT/MATURE STORY WITHOUT AS MUCH FRIENDSHIP FAGGOTRY

NO OUTDATED MECHANICS LIKE HMS THAT GIMP YOUR MONSTERS

ABILITIES ARE BASED ON THE MONSTER DESIGN AND AREN'T JUST FILLER, MONSTERS CAN HAVE MULTIPLE ABILITIES

MONSTERS ARE DESIGNED TO LOOK LIKE THINGS THAT COULD NATURALLY EVOLVE INSTEAD OF HAUNTED OBJECTS
>>
>>29368260
Oh, also:

TRAINERS CAN MODIFY THEIR MONSTERS USING IN-BATTLE ABILITIES LIKE IN THAT ONE SEASON OF DIGIMON
>>
File: wowo.png (61KB, 224x334px) Image search: [Google]
wowo.png
61KB, 224x334px
>>29365601
End the franchise with Pokemon Allies and Pokemon Axis.
>>
>>29365870
>The anime was a mess that explained itself in the final episode which was actually banned in the USA for being depressing.
What was depressing about it?
>>
>>29368391
The show's ratings tanked in the US and it was cancelled. There's actually an entire season that was never dubbed that's basically just a tournament arc
>>
>>29368486
The post made it sound like the way they wrapped up the plot was so depressing that it was banned.
>>
File: original.jpg (163KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
163KB, 1440x810px
>>29365601
Digimon story cyber sleuth 2
>>
>>29367379
Digimon world games
>>
>>29368518
It was weird but not even as weird as the ending to Digimon Tamers and the bulk of the cancellation was the poor dub
>>
Make it so that YOU become the mons. In battle the game turns into a first person action game. You can aim your attacks to score critical hits, sever limbs, aim for the horn etc. Also fuck evolution, leveling up just let's your max the body part of your choice, then you can fuse other limbs, spikes, weapons, whatever and make a totally customized creature. Make it so the mons are actually rare and mythical beings, each would basically be a legendary. By defeating them they give you the scroll or magic spell that let's your transform into them. Obliviously you get a starter transformation. The moves would be more taxing but also more powerful. Most battles last but a few turns. TMs would just be sacred scrolls you find here and there. Also you can use items to bolster your power. There'd be side quests where you find magical artifacts, tools, and weapons all of which you can use to customize your creature. Other "trainers" would be sparse, they'd all be basically rival level fights too. The game is generally more dynamic and fast paced. Gym leaders would be ungodly monsters who live in natural made dungeons throughout the world and basically run shit in their domain. They'd be too powerful to transform around normal humans. Elite Four would be the holy gurus of monsforming. The title is Monsformers by the way.
>>
>>29365870
>yokai watch designs are good
>digimon designs are bad
That's some grade A shit taste m8
>>
File: WAKE ME UP.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
WAKE ME UP.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
SMT is still pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5XZzTq_gzI
>>
File: 1465771174494.gif (180KB, 256x188px) Image search: [Google]
1465771174494.gif
180KB, 256x188px
>>29365966
Underrated post.
>>
>>29365666
I REALLY LIKE THIS IDEA
>>
>>29370382
Everyone always praises those but it's hard to keep track. Which ones are the ones most focused on collecting monsters as opposed to just having her group of characters standing in a line casting magic or whatever?
>>
>>29371091
SMT is collecting
Persona is a group of characters but you can collect Personas for the main character to use
>>
>>29371348
Wikipedia says SMT has characters in your party use swords/guns, summon demons, or cast spells. Do all the games have a group of characters in a party?
>>
>>29367379
>tons of really obscure and odd secrets, both big and small, like the sort of fake secrets you would hear kids in school say about Pokémon games when you were a kid.
The internet ruined this. Some twat would write a guide in hours.
>>
>>29371475
I'd still want to do it.
>>
>>29371405
Different SMT titles have different amounts of characters that you can use

For example, SMT: Nocturne has only one "human" character and the rest of your characters are all recruitable enemies
>>
>>29365601
pokemon gen 8
>on switch
>100 new pokemon
>cross gen evolutions, regional forms, z-moves, and mega evolution return (megas and z moves post game only)
>minimal number of legendary pokemon
>set in maybe the southeast US
>starts with you and your mom getting a farm from your grandfather, harvestmoon style
>daycare, amie/refresh, berry farm, apricorn plots all available at home
>walking with pokemon returns as an optional feature, functions as a way to bond and boost happiness
>super training and hyper training return
>super training tied into pokethlon like minigames
>breeding overhauled to allow customization of pokemon further, abilities and special forms are added to the list of breedable traits.
>join avenue returns as a small town near the players home
>secret bases return
>post game consists of battle facilities and secret quests. frontier items are found in the quests so no need to grind bp
>pokemon contests & pokemon musical return as a combined system, ball seals also return (no letters) some cosmetic items can be kept and seen in battle
>trainer customization returns and is open ended (think the way fallout and elder scrolls handles armor.)
>>
>>29365601
MORE WAIFUS HUMAN AND POKEMON
>>
>>29366241
Better than just pressing A
>>
>Battling is a primary focus like Pokemon, SMT, etc., but have some other types of gameplay (think stuff similar to contests) and/or "jobs" for people who might not just want to beat the shit out of everything with their main mons
>Different variations of existing mons so each feels ,pre unique, with small stuff like different colors and slightly different features
>Further customization of mons by allowing them to wear items/clothings that could also be customized, whether it be changing colors/patterns or adding custom additional effects
>Fleshed out story, characters, and general world
>Actual difficulty/difficulty options
>Actual boss enemies (more of above)
>Balance
And most importantly,
>Good music
>>
File: Boxart-MHST.jpg (58KB, 367x374px) Image search: [Google]
Boxart-MHST.jpg
58KB, 367x374px
speaking of other monster collecting games

what do you guys think of monster hunter stories?

from what I've seen of it it looks pretty challenging and with very interesting mechanics
and the monster collecting is also interesting (by stealing eggs from monsters nests)
>>
>>29371597
What's the latest one like that where it's totally focused on collectible monsters?
>>
>>29372939
SMT IV: Apocalypse/Final, though you might want to look at/play the original SMT IV since Apocalypse is a direct sequel.
>>
make a game with a long ass post game, 2 regions maybe a new gen, lots of legendaries to catch and make the difficulty much harder and make a original story not the stop the bad guys from using the pokemon to do some bad stuff make a intresting and innovative story kinda like sun and moon idk maybe we have to wait and see.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.