[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/heg/: Hacking & Essentials General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 46

List of notable ROM Hacks: http://pastebin.com/ua7u6gZz
Getting started on your own hack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP

Essentials:
Essentials Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki
RMXP Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar

Sites for sharing games:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/
http://reliccastle.com/forums/

IRC channel: #/vp/romhack @ irc.synirc.net
Webclient: http://webirc.synirc.net/?channels=/vp/romhack

Topic of the thread: Are there any tilesets that will instantly turn you off to a hack?
>>
File: gym 6.png (2KB, 108x68px) Image search: [Google]
gym 6.png
2KB, 108x68px
I'm trying my hand at spriting right now. Would anyone be willing to give some feedback on pic related? I'm not sure if left or right is the better design.
>>
ded thred
>>
>>29344169
Definitely left. Hey once I have installed homebrew on my 2ds I can update to 11.1 without any issues right?
>>
>>29344813
had you said "a9lh" or "cfw" instead of "homebrew" I would've said yes.
>>
I haven't done that much recently. Ported the Hoenn Champion theme to Crystal a couple days ago. Need to do Mt. Chimney next.

https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/vs-hoenn-champion-gbc-8-bit
http://pastebin.com/qyNUWZfz
>>
>>29344813
Thanks anon

For an absolute beginner to hacking, would it be better to use something like JPAN's engine instead of vanilla FR?
>>
>>29345108
Fantastic as always
>>
>>29345018
This. Did you mean CFW? Because they're VERY different things.
>>
File: 8cdD0dA.png (8KB, 352x352px) Image search: [Google]
8cdD0dA.png
8KB, 352x352px
This is the type chart from Pokémon Sweet Version. How godawful is this?
>>
>>29345869
Looks dumb. Why is choco only SE against itself?
>>
>>29344034
I like this map.
>>
>>29346094
It looks like Puget Sound to me.
>>
>>29346094
Too much water.
>>
>>29346158
It looks 50/50 to me.
>>
im pretty good at spriting. I can't think of designs at the moment tho so Im willing to help anons out with theirs
>>
Is there any feasible way to do the following in a firered romhacks:

1. Moves that have stab for one type and hit with another type. Ex. Spooky Howl which is STAB for normal types but deals ghost damage.

2. Happiness battle effects, similar to amie friendship. Low happens decreases accuracy, and high happiness increases crit chance.

3. Hm actions that utilize pokedex stats rather than being in the movepool. Any Pokemon under a certain height are small enough to go in small holes to retrieve items or unlock doors. Fighting type pokemon can break rocks.

4. A new weather effect move called Moonlit Night and some abilities and moves to go with it.

5. Scenarios that increase or decrease happiness based on pokemon's nature and users choice. Ex. Npc want to pet your lead pokemon. Timid, bashful, etc pokemon decreases happiness if choose yes but jolly, brave, etc decrease if say no.
>>
File: IMG_20160927_114053.jpg (114KB, 864x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160927_114053.jpg
114KB, 864x960px
>>29345869
You are working with a very arbitrary system here, so first step I would take is help it be less arbitrary to the user. We got a color system so let's utilize that. Red things can be like fire, blue is water, yellow electric, green is grass, brown is ground. Banana could be white for a "light" type and raspberry be blackberry instead for a "dark" type. You got lots of reds here tho so maybe work on that. Bare with me here. Once you have this, the user will have a better grasp of the system in place. Blue water beats red fire, so they can utilize this to remember blueberry is good against cherry.
>>
>>29346502
>1. Moves that have stab for one type and hit with another type. Ex. Spooky Howl which is STAB for normal types but deals ghost damage.
A simple implementation is a move that does more damage when used by a certain kind of pokemon, see what code curse uses, use that.

>2. Happiness battle effects, similar to amie friendship. Low happens decreases accuracy, and high happiness increases crit chance.
Probably possible but not easy. Hope you like ASM.

>3. Hm actions that utilize pokedex stats rather than being in the movepool. Any Pokemon under a certain height are small enough to go in small holes to retrieve items or unlock doors. Fighting type pokemon can break rocks.
Should be easy enough to have events that check for dex stats since those already exist. Doesn't need to be anything special.

>4. A new weather effect move called Moonlit Night and some abilities and moves to go with it.
ez as long as its a clone for the most part.

>5. Scenarios that increase or decrease happiness based on pokemon's nature and users choice. Ex. Npc want to pet your lead pokemon. Timid, bashful, etc pokemon decreases happiness if choose yes but jolly, brave, etc decrease if say no.
Don't see why it couldn't be possible through event scripts.
>>
>>29346753
Thanks, I was migrating from essentials to romhacking instead, so was unsure if these where still applicable before I delved in further. The idea about looking at curse is awesome, I was having trouble with that before. Any ideas for a more feasible alternative to question 2? I want to make happiness more useful in game, rather than being only important for a few evolutions. Potions and man-made items will be more rare, while bitter herbs are common, so player must choose wisely. There will be more ways to increase and decrease happiness.
>>
>>29346896
Fraid not, the only existing happiness functions are on return/frustration and happiness check events (ribbon)
>>
>>29346753
Ah! And I should have actually clarified #2 better. I wouldnt need it to be scaling, more like:

If happiness <100 then .5 accuracy
If happiness >150 then 1.5 crit chance

And so forth
>>
>>29346752
I'm not the guy who made that romhack, I just wanted to know what the pros think of it.

I think there's at least one type that is rendered redundant by another.
>>
>>29347025
Oh then yea its pretty silly. Creator must really have a vendetta against grape flavor.
>>
>>29344034
Any hacks that use the default tileset I often overlook without downloading. Your story means nothing if you use the same old bland tiles everyone is used to.
>>
Gen 4 style tiles in a gen 3 hack trigger my autism
>>
>look at list of essential hacks
>be reminded of how much I enjoyed Azure Horizons when I played the demo 6 years ago
>"Hey maybe it's finally finished!"
>check thread
>it's dead
Now I'm sad.
>>
>>29346054
I ask the same thing about Dragon type.
>>
>>29348355
You got me there. What would be the most reasonable offensive SE for dragon? Flying?
>>
>>29344034
Is there a comprehensive collection of fan tilesets somewhere? Everything seems to be scattered around DA and pokecommunity.
>>
>>29345123
Preasu respond
>>
>>29348647
I honestly vote that we start one and put it in the threads op. I have a hard time retracing my steps to give credit for the tiles I've collected over time.
>>
>>29348734
Depends. What are you planning to do?
>>
File: Pokémon-piano.gif (18KB, 200x227px) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon-piano.gif
18KB, 200x227px
https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/thank-you?in=dimbus-maximus/sets/meta-mercury

Just finished this.
Not exactly sure where or when this will play in-game, but it will most likely take place late-game, maybe after defeating the league.

I wanted to make this as realistic as possible with subtle tempo and nuances. I even incorporated the first route theme for maximum feels.
>>
File: Stegruff_Ignited_M.png (144KB, 417x440px) Image search: [Google]
Stegruff_Ignited_M.png
144KB, 417x440px
https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/sets/pokemon-meta-mercury-cries

I also started a cry playlist.
Only Stegruff's line is complete so far.
>>
>>29349437
What do you use to create these cries
>>
>>29349321
I've been away for awhile, hows your game going max? Do you have a pic of pokedex?
>>
>>29348933
Mind if I use these?
>>
>>29349827
Just audacity and a run of the mill Digital Audio Workstation
I used animal sounds as the base of these three.
Stegruff is mostly pig.
First evo involved a tiger yawning, I think.
Second evo was a lion, croc, horse, and some construction equipment.

>>29349855
The new species are still being designed, redesigned, and redesigned again, but it's coming along. Not actually ready to set any designs in stone, outside of the starters. Even their evos are still in the works.

I've been laying off scripting because some amazing scripts are being developed at the moment, which can save me a boatload of time to just edit instead of building from scratch.
You should really check out the latest Elite Battle update.
>>
>>29345123
>>29348734
If you're just a beginner, I don't think JPAN's engine will be too much of use to you.
Depends what you want to accomplish though.
>>
I'm having an issue with really soft mixes, anyone have any tips to use my frequencies better?
>>
>>29351862
Fart sound effects.
>>
hello
i'm fairly new to hacking and I just wanted to know how everyone's thought process goes when designing a romhack

do you start with the art? the sound? the story?

what do you tackle first when modifying the map?

just curious
>>
>>29351877
I guess I can try that thanks.
>>
>>29351925
I'm at 0.01% on my ROMhack essentially and have just been doing music for other hacks at the moment, but the first thing I did was figuring out how everything worked, regarding editing. I learned how to add a new Pokémon, new moves, new trainer, new maps with events, etc. If I ever get to actually making my hack, I'll be good to go knowledge-wise or I would be if I ever learned how to code, because I want a lot of custom stuff ideally.

Basically just fuck around, try to learn the basics regarding everything you want to edit.
>>
Does anyone know of any Fire Red hacks that just modernise the game? (special/physical split etc)

I tried the Yet Another Fire Red rom hack but I only want gen wun Pokemon.
>>
>>29352011
what's a good resource in learning how to add new pokemon in fire red?

I only ask because the tutorials I look up feel outdated so I just want to know what resources you use.
>>
>>29352271
I'm not sure, sorry. I'm using Crystal as my base, so I only know that game and Red when it comes to replacing Pokémon.
>>
>>29350656
>>29348959
I don't want to be too ambitious because I'm a beginner, but here's a tentative list:

>Include pokemon/mechanics up to gen 5 or 6 and give mons drayano-style buffs
>Swap FR's OST for Emerald's
>Implement dive (the one tutorial I've found for this is for JPAN's engine)
>Change around opening events so the rival battle and naming occur later
>Have some postgame-only locations
>>
>>29352271
I think there are lots of patches on pokecommunity that do that already
>>
>>29351862
I want to clarify.
I'm getting really soft-sounding mixdowns.
What steps do you tend to take to optimally equalize your tracks and produce a louder-sounding mix?
>>
>>29353444
Forgot: I am also considering adding a few more trainers but iirc this is extremely hard to do
>>
File: tmp_26364-1473572059009289864749.jpg (523KB, 500x1633px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_26364-1473572059009289864749.jpg
523KB, 500x1633px
Bump
>>
>>29355182
>bulge on greninja
>>
>>29355529
That's actually part of Greninja's official design. Game Freak loves putting bulges on Pokémon.
>>
Is there any way to modify the functions of items in an HGSS Rom hack?
>>
>>29353444
For sure I would go with this then:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326301

It will have all the gen 6 junk for you.
>>
So, I always play at x2 speed on my phone, does everyone else? It always ruins the music for me, so I thought about slowing my music so it better matches this. Thoughts?
>>
Some time ago I was talking about a new starter kit made by some french guys, and they finally released the alpha version. The whole thing is translated in english (not the demo project, but pokémon's name, moves,...)

The documentation is still in french but I can help translate if people are interested.

https://communityscriptproject.com/forum/index.php?topic=17.0
>>
>>29356012
Forgot to mention but it's for RMXP
>>
File: 1 sorrow.jpg (141KB, 800x916px) Image search: [Google]
1 sorrow.jpg
141KB, 800x916px
>>29356012
>Finally a new set of tools for hackers that isn't outdated to shit and missing instructions! I can finally finish worki--
>>29356034

Welp, back to suffering.
>>
Doors.
>>
>>29357052
You stop that.
>>
>>29357608
Don't ever reply to doorposter. Don't give them attention. Report and ignore.
>>
>>29357736
What is door poster tho, and why? I only started Heg a few months ago.
>>
>>29349911
Not mine, they are magiscarf stuff. Go to their DA, they have more public tiles and it's all pretty nice and unique stuff.
>>
>>29358060
The short of it is

>Essentialsfag wanted door tiles for their game
>but it had to be these SPECIFIC door tiles from Gen 4 (Gen 4's doors had models, not tiles)
>spams every thread demanding them until the end of time out of spite because nobody wants to help an Essentialsfag

He's just a spammer. Don't give him attention. Just me explaining it in this thread probably gave the equivalent of fifty (You)s.
>>
Where can I find a randomizer of each gen?
>>
>>29358168
Ah.
I recently switched from essentials to romhacking, I just didn't realize that romhacking was actually feasible. I know its sounds silly, but I really thought it was straight up programming, that there wasn't programs in place to make it pretty straightforward.
>>
>>29353869
Nevermind, fixed some of it.
Guess I just need practice
>>
el bumpo
>>
>>29360040
Kek, this actually looks really good for what it is.
>>
Anyone have a link to a prepatched .cia for Sinking Sapphire?
>>
Is there anyway to scale trainer and wild Pokemon levels according to badge count in a romhack? I'm trying to make an open world Pokemon game.
I know it's possible to do with RPG Maker, but I'd prefer a rom hack.
>>
I know Pokemon Sage is technically still being worked on, but does anyone know if Clover is dead? I haven't heard anything about it in forever.
>>
>>29354073
Not really.
>>
>>29348621
Ice
>>
>>29361517
Oh, that's great. Is there a tutorial or tool out there for that?
>>
>>29361545
>make ice even more shitty by adding weakness to dragon
Nice
>>
>>29361590
Hey,
>>29361517
is full of shit, increasing the trainer count in FR is really hard to do.
You'd have to mess with RAM and where trainer flags are stored and some shit, I'm actually surprised some ASMonkey haven't made a python script/patch for trainer expansion yet.

But why would you need more trainers?
There are around 720 trainers in default FR, give or take, some not even used by the base game, so what on earth would you need more for?
>>
>>29361850
>720 trainers in default FR
I didn't know this. Guess there's no reason for me to worry.
>>
buml
>>
Guys how do i design good MC/feMC i can't think of any interesting hats that haven't been used
>>
>>29355861
Thanks anon.
Just curious though, why did you not suggest this base?
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=360603
>>
>>29362935

one of those winter fur hats with the ear flaps
propeller beanie
sombrero
cowboy hat
>>
>>29362935
One of those squid hats, but with omastar or something
>>
>>29362935
Baseball cap but sideways
>>
>>29355861
>>29363379
I'd recommend avoiding both of those rom bases, especially if you're a beginner. Dollsteak's base is buggy, poorly documented and no longer being worked on. The other one is based on Dollsteak's base and also adds its own bugs. You can rip data tables (base stats, level up moves etc.) from artificial red to save time but that's all it should be used for.
>>
>>29364632
Hmm, good to know. Any you suggest instead?
>>
File: PokemonXYNaturiaBeta0d4d1.st1.png (4KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
PokemonXYNaturiaBeta0d4d1.st1.png
4KB, 160x144px
Ive seen it done before, but how is it done? Having a experience cap that increases with each gym? For instance, your poke would stop gaining experience at level 20.
>>
>>29364667
Unless you're willing to hack Emerald instead, unfortunately not. You'd be better off learning to insert ASM routines and adding the new mechanics you want yourself. Code for most moves and abilities can be found here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=195. All you'll have to do is compile them and paste them into the rom.
>>
>>29364773
I've never done it myself, and none of the hacks I've seen with it are made via public disassembly, but I would assume you'd edit the routine that handles experience. Add code such that:

>if the experience would bring a Pokémon up to [whatever level the current cap is], reduce the experience to EXACTLY that amount
>if the Pokémon is at that level (or above, but it logically shouldn't happen if the code works properly), reduce the experience gained to zero

You'd also have to add a few other checks so the Pokémon can't gain experience or levels via Rare Candies, Day Care, etc. The code would probably be more complicated than described just because you have to account for when the experience gets split between multiple Pokémon, but that's how the framework would look, I think.
>>
File: 83.jpg (130KB, 791x599px) Image search: [Google]
83.jpg
130KB, 791x599px
>>29364632
>>29365023
Thanks for your help, you saved me from some really annoying bullshit. Learning ASM doesn't bother me too much, if it did I would have decided to pick up some other hobby.
>>
>>29365250
You're welcome anon! If you're planning on making your own region at some point I'd still recommend switching to Emerald, just because this exists: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=374338
It's the best thing to happen to gba hacking in a long time, it makes fixing bugs and updating mechanics incredibly easy.
>>
File: unnamed.png (5KB, 192x144px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
5KB, 192x144px
>>29365436
Holy shit, I had no idea this existed. I'm definitely going to consider Emerald now since I'm making my own region.

I've never really looked much into Emerald though, would you say that there are just as many resources for Emerald hacking (specifically graphics) as FR?

I wish I was far enough into my hack to be able to contribute something to the thread. Have a prototype region, I guess
>>
File: 1477143387952.jpg (13KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1477143387952.jpg
13KB, 250x250px
>>29365436
I'm fine with whatever will best fit. Below are some things I will be doing:

1. About 350 pokemon dex. About 250 of those are sorta like alola variants but for my region and 50 are new pokemon. Includes gen 6 mons but no megas.

2. A new region map with a custom tileset.

3. New moves and items, mostly just copying existing move and item scripts.

Whats the best rombase for this?
>>
File: smug soonmerupt.png (106KB, 279x282px) Image search: [Google]
smug soonmerupt.png
106KB, 279x282px
>>29361486
>>29360040
SOON
>>
>>29365902
Graphics wise they're pretty much identical, there are less readily available ASM routines around for Emerald but that's been changing lately. It has better TM and pokedex expansion code than FR, as well as better AI, berries, contests, and multi battles by default.
That map looks like you're off to a good start, it imitates the gen 3 style very well.

>>29365959
If you want new moves and items I'd definitely suggest using Emerald, that battle engine is just too good to pass up. Your other features will work just as well in either base.
>>
>>29362935
Scally Caps
>>
Some nice tilesets in link related

http://chaoticcherrycake.deviantart.com/
>>
>>29360040
hey, i didn't know you got my backgrounds to work.
>>
File: lemurlicks.png (7KB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
lemurlicks.png
7KB, 192x192px
>>29367116
are these perhaps opensource backgrounds? because I like it and am curious to where I can find them and who to credit.
>>
Designing a Bug/Grass jellybean mon as a prevo to the defensive alien plantstalk
>>
Anyone know how to edit feebas tile in emerald?
>>
File: 1470618393148.png (4KB, 198x66px) Image search: [Google]
1470618393148.png
4KB, 198x66px
>>29360040
>>29366332
Ebin
>>
File: Legoon_R.png (538KB, 1800x2800px) Image search: [Google]
Legoon_R.png
538KB, 1800x2800px
Beans Incoming

Cinnimon
>>
File: Legoon_B.png (582KB, 1800x2800px) Image search: [Google]
Legoon_B.png
582KB, 1800x2800px
>>29372115
Berry
>>
File: Legoon_G.png (568KB, 1800x2800px) Image search: [Google]
Legoon_G.png
568KB, 1800x2800px
>>29372132
Lime
>>
File: Legoon_V.png (580KB, 1800x2800px) Image search: [Google]
Legoon_V.png
580KB, 1800x2800px
>>29372146
Grape
>>
File: Legoon_Blk.png (527KB, 1800x2800px) Image search: [Google]
Legoon_Blk.png
527KB, 1800x2800px
>>29372159
Licorice
>>
File: Legoon_Y.png (585KB, 1800x2800px) Image search: [Google]
Legoon_Y.png
585KB, 1800x2800px
>>29372173
and Lemon
>>
>>29357052
>>29358168
maybe this has the right doors
if not fuck off and make them yourself
>>
>>29372115
>>29372132
>>29372146
>>29372159
>>29372173
>>29372191

Don't be lazy, do more than just recoloring.
Give them different eyes or skin textures. Change the shape of the head leaves. That kind of thing.
>>
>>29372893
They're just jelly beans. They're meant to look the same and just have different flavours. It also evolves.
>>
Why is expert emerald so shit?
>>
File: 2016-07-17_18.55.44.jpg (1MB, 1674x2050px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-17_18.55.44.jpg
1MB, 1674x2050px
>>29372954
>>29372893
They all end up about the same.
Maybe the base color could appear somewhere.
>>
How might I add gen 4 berries to a gen 3 game? Would it work the same as adding any other item?
>>
>>29376361
EV-reducing berries: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8515384&postcount=68
Sitrus Berry update: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9125115&postcount=849
Damage reduction berries: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8764736&postcount=591
These links should have all you're looking for.

I found all of these in the ASM resource thread, which you also should use for future reference:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=339153
>>
>>29376514
Forgot to mention these are all for Firered.
And of course, you'd still have to add the item images and such yourself.
>>
>>29376514
ty senpai
>>
Has anyone here played Harvestcraft? Opinions?
>>
>>29377189
I watched a bit of an LP of it on youtube, i'd say it's kinda repetitive
>>
>>29355182
"ROOK AT ME, I'M GRENINJA-SAN! BURASUTO BAN!"
>>
>>29377346
Damn, the concept looked pretty interesting. Thanks anyway
>>
>>29378994
You mean the minecraft mod? I remember one of the/vp/ixelmon servers ran that with biomes o plenty.
>>
>>29379704
Nevermind, I'm retarded.

Whew, that hack is probably filled with terrible spelling errors.
>>
>>29346094
>>29344034
what hack is it from?
>>
>>29344169
the fuck did you do to the mouth?

But yeah left's better design.
>>
>>29379838
I don't think it's from one, I just found it on google images
>>
File: Leader 6 - comparison.png (2KB, 120x64px) Image search: [Google]
Leader 6 - comparison.png
2KB, 120x64px
>>29380283
Not much of anything, actually.
>>
>>29381567
that battle sprite always bugged me. It looks like she has a moustache for some reason. And her mouth goes into her chin.

Anyway, I think it's just the neck then. Her entire head needs to be moved down one pixel.
>>
>>29382276
I meant "battle girl sprite."
>>
File: Leader 6 - comparison2 - Copy.png (1KB, 109x64px) Image search: [Google]
Leader 6 - comparison2 - Copy.png
1KB, 109x64px
>>29382464
>>29382276
Thanks for your input. New version is on the right.
>>
>>29382598
Shit, meant left.
>>
>>29382598
yeah that looks better to me. Neck was really long and I think made the mouth look worse with the extra pixels.
>>
blamp
>>
File: Champion 1.png (5KB, 127x200px) Image search: [Google]
Champion 1.png
5KB, 127x200px
Bumping with a WIP.
>>
File: Kanking_Gokhan_Blk.png (677KB, 1674x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Kanking_Gokhan_Blk.png
677KB, 1674x2400px
>>29372173
Here's the colored evolutions
>>
File: Kanking_Gokhan_B.png (734KB, 1674x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Kanking_Gokhan_B.png
734KB, 1674x2400px
>>29372132
>>
File: Kanking_Gokhan_Y.png (728KB, 1674x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Kanking_Gokhan_Y.png
728KB, 1674x2400px
>>29372191
>>
File: Kanking_Gokhan_G.png (711KB, 1674x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Kanking_Gokhan_G.png
711KB, 1674x2400px
>>29372146
>>
File: Kanking_Gokhan_R.png (684KB, 1674x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Kanking_Gokhan_R.png
684KB, 1674x2400px
>>29372115
>>
File: Kanking_Gokhan_V.png (737KB, 1674x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Kanking_Gokhan_V.png
737KB, 1674x2400px
>>29372159
The English name is Gokhan
The Japanese name is Kanking (カンキング)
>>
>>29372115
Legoon are considered pest, because doesn't gain nutrients from the soil but instead saps energy from the crops around it.
Over time, they leave giant circular patches of dirt in fields from consuming plants in the same spot.
These circles beacon other Legoon to congregate nearby.
The types of crop it drains determine its color and flavor.
If large Pokémon are lured in by its scent and try to swallow it, Legoon will take control of its mind from the inside to carry it to another field.

>>29385984
If a Legoon is left to grow for extremely long periods of time, the evolve into Gokhan.
Gokhan have the ability to turn all of the nearby Apricorns and Berries into new Legoons, spreading across large fields extremely efficiently.
Gokhan gains it's nutrients from radiation in the night sky, and a few have been documented becoming so tall, they reach low clouds.
>>
Hey Max - you're being lazy as fuck. Anybody can shift the hue of their sprite.

Look at Wormadam to see how to do what you're doing correctly and stop shitting up the thread with multiple images. Beyond the initial design, nobody needs to see every colored variant.

The colors of jellybeans aren't just colors, they're flavors. If you want to respect what the fuck a jellybean MEANS, then make them differently themed even if it's just their expression.
>>
>>29388141
They should have different types, too.
>>
Is there any braindead sort of tool to edit Gen IV games? I want to make a few quick edits to Platinum before replaying it, and I feel that getting an entire full hack would be too much.
>>
>>29344034
Is this the Bay Area?
>>
File: Legoon.png (20KB, 400x1108px) Image search: [Google]
Legoon.png
20KB, 400x1108px
>>29388141
Thing is, the concepts already sufficient.
The color mechanic was more or less and extra.
If I add too much, then I could risk going into the territory of another concept. >>29388379 suggested something that makes sense, but has already been done as a concept in my project.
Adding to much variation in look will also cause the concept to become too saturated.
The best course of action would to change the expressions like you suggested and add a couple of moves to its movepool based on flavor, but only in the base form.

I was thinking something like:
Cinnamon -Ember/Flamethrower
Lime - Acid/Sludge bomb
Berry- Water Gun/Scald or a new ~90 bp Water move
Grape - Confusion/Psychic
Licorice - Pursuit/Dark Pulse
Lemon - Thunder Shock/Thunderbolt
>>
>>29389304
If you're gonna post multiple images, space it out some so we don't die
>>
>>29388576
Depends on what the edits are, most gen 4 tools are shit.
>>
File: Champion 1.png (1KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
Champion 1.png
1KB, 64x64px
>>29385407
Done for now.
>>
>>29389708
The ultra ball is a great touch.
>>
>>29390470
Thanks! I ended up having to use the ultra ball because of the color limit. I'm glad everything worked out
>>
>>29390552
Just make sure he uses at least one ultta ball, it'll be perfect
>>
>>29389304
If you have to make excuses for why your bad idea deserves to stay then it's a bad idea.
>>
>>29390865
This. I think it's pretty lazy too
>>
So, what's the best way to implement an "unreal" time system with a ROM? For example, like harvest moon. I know essentials can do it, but the DAN system for rom hacking is based off of the computer's clock.
>>
>>29392134
Bumping for interest.
>>
>>29389304
KISS man, I get some people are saying to make it a certain way, but I saw opposite, so I think this is a matter of personal taste. I see them like the flabebe forms, is that how you wanted it? I like the idea of added moves to each movepool, like cosplay pikachu.
>>
Ok, ive been sick with a fever pretty much all day, so I may be making a stupid error, but I cant seem to get the tileset right in advance map. So first off, I can't figure out how to alter a 6 digit color code and switch it to 4 digit, but I tried to just work around that. Instead I just made a pallet and went in and changed all the colors via gimp to match the pallet in advance map. I just did a ocean pallet to test it out. Tossed the tiles into advance map and none of the ocean stuff is showing up, everything is just showing up as a single color.
>>
>>29392173
At least I'm not the only one who wants to know.

I guess I'll trawl through the RTC thread. The DNS system thread on poke community had other people asking, but nobody answering.
>>
>>29392383
Yea, I'm wanting a normal DAN system but with a new month happening each real-time week. There would be special events for that certain month, such as receiving a Christmas or Easter pokemon that's all special appearance like the notch ear pichu.
>>
>>29392459
Well, I want it to make a harvest moon-like hack that isn't shit
>>
>>29392502
Is the other hack open source? You could maybe ask the guy directly if he's willing to share any resources.
>>
>>29392555
He did his by changing times when you changed maps.
>>
File: 1454978891281.png (105KB, 413x405px) Image search: [Google]
1454978891281.png
105KB, 413x405px
>>29392134
I saw someone describing that type of thing on the #pret IRC a while ago. I don't remember who it was, but they were going to implement a system like that for Crystal so time-based events could be played on emulators without real-time-clock emulation and on flashcarts.

They were going to change the required ticks needed to increment the clock by one minute. In vanilla Crystal time moves every 3600 ticks (60 ticks per second * 60 seconds). If you wanted a 24 hour time period to pass in one hour, you would make it move at 150 ticks per minute, two hour days would be 300 ticks, etc. You'd have to make the same type of system as a normal day-night system, but with a much faster progression than 3600 ticks per minute (I think GBA is 60FPS, at least), and have it only progress when the game is turned on, instead of using some kind of battery or that the emulator simulates by comparing the differences in your computer's clock since the game was last played to progress the in-game counter.

Other, more hacky things I could think of would be basing it on the save timer that counts how many hours you've been playing, or doing what >>29392569 does.

This is all just me speculating, I could be wrong and these could be terrible ideas, or good ideas that I've explained terribly.
>>
File: 1468713709214.png (106KB, 430x290px) Image search: [Google]
1468713709214.png
106KB, 430x290px
>>29392569
That's... weird.
>>
>>29393316
That's not such a bad idea.

>>29393339
That entire hack is pretty weird. Pretty sure the plot kicks off because his self insert marries the harvest goddess or something and a trevenant gets mad.
>>
>tfw the gen 3 hacking community hasn't changed much in between 2009 when I first stopped trying until now

Except now most of the movers and shakers are gone.
>>
>>29392228
Exactly like Flabébé.
If it evolved differently, I would consider new typings, but their identity as a alien bean => beanstalk is much more important than their flavor.

Also, Florges, Furfrou, and Cosplay Pikachu all do their form changes differently in the same generation. If they all gained new types and moves the concepts would intersect and become less unique.
>>
>>29393394
I feel you exactly, got something similar going on in my game so thought that was what was up. You could maybe have each wild encounter be holding a certain berry? Would make it a tad more interesting (I personally felt florges was slightly lacking something extra) and give them more purpose. People could use them to farm up a certain berry. It would match the theme and not detract from the design.
>>
>>29393464
Yeah, I was thinking something like that.
Apricorns are back so that might be a good item to consider.
>>
>>29393316
I think there are a few patches for the DNS for use on a flash cart that goes by the save hours. I'll look into using that.
>>
>>29393561
Sounds like a plan. Life of Guardians had a system like that and I hated it just because it had a 24-hour system and you would spend 12 hours at a time stuck in the game's shitty nighttime palettes (though everything in that game is shit), but if a full day is only a few hours there wouldn't be that issue.
>>
>>29393591
The main reason I first wanted an unreal time system is because I can only ever play at night, so I've been stuck in nighttime hell since Gold and Silver.
And it kinda breaks immersion when you can go from zero to champion world-saving hero in less than an ingame week.
>>
File: 3rdstage_shaded.png (1MB, 3500x5344px) Image search: [Google]
3rdstage_shaded.png
1MB, 3500x5344px
I've been bumping this from page 10 all day.
If you don't like the fact I'm dumping pics, please don't force me.
Last dump before I let it crash.
>>
File: 3rdstage_shaded_shiny.png (1MB, 3500x5344px) Image search: [Google]
3rdstage_shaded_shiny.png
1MB, 3500x5344px
>>29395223
>>
>>29395223
>literally my mom's koopa
I like it.
>>
File: 3rdstage_shaded_flamepos.png (1MB, 3500x5344px) Image search: [Google]
3rdstage_shaded_flamepos.png
1MB, 3500x5344px
>>29395244
It gains its stegosaurus plates when ignited
>>
>>29393378
>>tfw the gen 3 hacking community hasn't changed much in between 2009 when I first stopped trying until now
Except there are a ton more resources readily available to be used
>>
>>29395223
>>29395231
looks like a 2nd stage
>>
>>29357608
Never.

>>29357736
No. Give me more attention.

>>29358168
We could have avoided this if you had JUST MADE ME SOME FUCKING DOORS.
>>
>>29395450
True enough, but after everyone complaining about advanced map, you think there'd be an alternative by now.
At least hacking Emerald is stable and not an unknown frontier.
>>
>>29361438
you could use vars and flags, however the number of avaiable pokemon trainer is limited.
>>
>>29397046
>after everyone complaining about advanced map, you think there'd be an alternative by now

Someone once told me that, from the point of view of places like Pokécommunity, tools "just magically fall from the sky" when one appears. Most hackers aren't interested in making their own tools when someone else has already made one.
>>
>>29397344
That's definitely true, I'm just a little salty the MEH never took off or was finished.
>>
Is there any good way to have all 700+ pokemon (excluding legendaries) catchable? Lots of people complain about the size of the Kalos regional dex. Would this even matter in a rom hack?
>>
>>29397832
>Is there any good way to have all 700+ pokemon (excluding legendaries) catchable?

I don't think so. It's just too much to make a coherent area. ROMhacks aren't the bastions of quality control though, so if someone wanted to do something dumb like that nothing is stopping them.
>>
>>29398619
I feel the same way. I'm considering doing something like using only one or two regional bird/rodent/bug lines to cut down on numbers. Would 250-300 be a good target to shoot for?
>>
>>29398967
>Would 250-300 be a good target to shoot for?

Definitely. I think BW2 had a Dex of 300 and it didn't feel crowded to me. I'd aim for around 250 and add more only if you feel it would really help the area you're designing or the team of a major NPC, that way you have plenty of buffer room in case you make last minute additions late into the hack and don't want to remove older Pokémon to meet your personal cutoff.
>>
>>29399017
Besides, if you want trainers to use a foriegn pokemon line, you can always have them give you an egg or have them obtainable via an ingame trade or an event.
>>
File: 1369604178829.gif (546KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1369604178829.gif
546KB, 200x150px
Would porygon or eevee be a better starter pokemon?
>>
>>29399627
Do Porygon, Eevee is overused
>>
>>29399627
Porygon, as long as you change its evolution method.
>>
>>29399725
I think I have a way around that. In my current draft of the story, MC would be gifted the upgrades at sensible time points (maybe around gyms 3 and 5) after helping [local corporation/research org] defeat [evil team].

It would probably just be easier to change the evolution method, though.
>>
>>29399846
Well, since the dubious disc is basically malware/homebrew gone bad, maybe getting it directly from the evil team (via an item on the ground or whatever) would be a better idea.
>>
So, if I were to make a farming/ranching themed pokemon game, what sort of pokemon would you ranch? So far I have the basics and some more exotic ideas:
>chansey lines for egg products
>miltank for cow milk
>gogoat line for more expensive goat milk
>combee for honey, vespiquen for royal jelly
>tropius for fruit
>mareep for wool
>slowpoke for tails
Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if I should take the rune factory approach where every pokemon has a product/drop/whatever or if I should keep it restricted for simplicity's sake.
Thread posts: 198
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.