[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't GF wait for the Switch to release SM? Just imagine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 7

File: io665c3z6llmpceawwmw.jpg (117KB, 800x1069px) Image search: [Google]
io665c3z6llmpceawwmw.jpg
117KB, 800x1069px
Why didn't GF wait for the Switch to release SM?

Just imagine how much better the game would look not being held back by 3DS hardware anymore. They could have celebrated the 20th anniversary by making a game that included all the regions. Just imagine the magniitude of exploration.
>>
>>29324820
>They could have celebrated the 20th anniversary by making a game that included all the regions.
Just when I thought your post couldn't get any dumber, you had write that in as well.
>>
$
Just like what was seen with black and white, it's a safer bet to make a game on a console that has already sold quite a number of units.

Many more people have a 3DS or 2DS right now then there will probably be Nintendo Snaps sold within the whole of 2017. Not only that but it would cost more to create a game at the caliber needed for the Nintendo snap. There are a lot of factors.
>>
>>29324820
maybe they'll celebrate the 25th anniversary of pokemon by making an open world Switch game where all 800+ pokemon can be caught. but honestly all regions is too much to hope for at this point
>>
>>29324952
Excuse me, I meant Nintendo Switch. Whoops.
>>
>>29324902
Do people NOT want a massive pokemon game with all the regions???
>>
The only thing holding back multiple regions is time and storage space. The latter is not an issue with the 3DS yet.

Also it won't be the 20th anniversary anymore by the time the Switch hits, dumbfuck.
>>
>>29324820
We're obviously getting a port next year
>>
>>29325032
No, people want a smaller pokemon game with less pokemon. These people are GF's core market now.
>>
>>29325032
Yes. It would be almost impossible to balance unless you raise the level cap or force the player to only use region native pokemon which are both retarded ideas.
>>
>>29325032
How do you think the level curve would work out?

There's a reason Ash always boxed his best mons at the start of a new region.
>>
>>29325032
can you even picture a game with all 7 regions, the level curve, and amount of detail that would entail? gamefreak are way too lazy to make something that complex and involving that level of playtime
>>
>>29325032
Level scaling would be a problem.
>>
>>29325103
>>29325096
REMOVE LEVELS. They only encourage artificial difficulty bullshit.
>>
>>29324820
There might be something in the next SM trailer 7 days from now.
>>
>>29325123
>remove levels
NIGGA POKEMON IS A FUCKING RPG WHAT KIND OF RPG DOESN'T HAVE LEVELS
>>
>>29325038
Pokémon Sun and Moon are over 3 GB. I don't think the system can handle much more.
>>
I'm placing my bets on this happening.
>Gen 7 gets SM, also gets DP Remakes to celebrate their anniversary outside of Japan
>Gen 8 gets whatever, but GF puts all of their effort into making New Remakes of Generation 1 for the 25th anniversary since FRLG are as ancient as RS now, Remake is heavily marketed and gets a Bundle and is immensely faithful to RBG, basically being FRLG but with the Phys/Spec Split, Fairy Types, New Moves and Amie. Megas, Z-Moves and other mechanics are postgame only
>>
File: blog.png (73KB, 1022x1108px) Image search: [Google]
blog.png
73KB, 1022x1108px
>>29324976
Maybe not all the regions, but they could do this and fill in the gaps.
>>
File: no levels.jpg (47KB, 300x405px) Image search: [Google]
no levels.jpg
47KB, 300x405px
>>29325149
Many RPGs don't. Levels are actually a very archaic and antiquated system from early RPGs that persists due to sacred cows.
>>
>>29325196
Literally all the balance in Pokemon is tied to levels. You would have to completely rework the game if you wanted to remove levels.
>>
>>29325160
The N3DS can. I heard it's like SSB4 where it reboots if you exit out it on the older 3DS's.
>>
>ITT: /vp/ doesn't understand dynamic leveling of enemies
>>
>>29325196
Levels exist to give casual players the illusion of skill.
>>
>>29325103
Maybe game freak doesn't make the game. they lend the license to someone else and they make it so every region you play as THAT region specific character (choosing the male/female) and you go through a story of every region all happening in the same time span. than they all come together at the end were you use all of the mons you've used. switching from trainer to trainer taking out some evil thing. literally just a idea off the top of my head so its pretty shit
>>
>>29325032
it didnt work well with elder scrolls, i dont think its farfetch'd for people to not want it with other games that feature a bunch of regions/countries
>>
It's all part of the business plan, they want to push and gain more revenue by releasing it for the 3DS first. Then they will use whatever budget they get to do Gen 8 on Switch.
>>
>>29324820
>all these people thinking the Switch is going to replace their standard handheld console
Nintendo is dumb, but not that dumb. Their handheld market makes revenue hand-over-fist, and kept Nintendo afloat during their shaky Gamecube/Wii U periods, and the Switch isn't nearly as competent of a handheld device as a 3DS or any of its predecessors. Switch is not their new portable console. It's just a home console that has portability as a feature.

Maybe, MAYBE if the Switch proves to be a big enough hit, they might phase out the DS. That's why when they first introduced the DS, it was billed as something entirely different than a Game Boy. Nintendo didn't want to risk tarnishing the Game Boy name if it didn't take off.

Honestly, I'm just happy they finally got away from the fucking Wii name. That right there will ensure infinitely more success than the Wii U.
>>
>>29324820
hey anon? how would they celebrate the 20th anniversary by waiting a year to release it
>>
>>29325123
Haha yeah! Remove levels! Who cares about the game mechanics anyway. Remove wild Pokemon too, why fight if you don't level up? There's no exp, so let us evolve Pokemon whenever we want, yeah! I want to play a game that never ends! Just add infinite regions!
>>
File: 1476852305715.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1476852305715.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>29324820
>all the regions meme
>>
>>29325229
No, the balance in Pokemon is tied to mastery of the type match-ups. It's possible to overcome an opponent that is 5-10 levels higher if you counter it with the right type. It's the biggest mechanic in the game. Unless you're one of those faggots that just over-levels their starter and uses the rest of their team for HM slaves.
>>
>>29325032
>massive pokemon game
sure
>all the regions
fuck no

Give me one huge-ass all new region, I Have no desire to bask in nostalgia when there are bigger and better things waiting for me.
>>
I do not plan on buying that gimmicky mess of a device.

Sun and Moon will mark my retirement from anything nintendo.

Honestly which Jap thought that the fusion of there successful handheld to their garbage failing console was a good idea.
>>
>>29325354
Who says there is no XP if there is no levels? Have you actually played an RPG other than pokemon?

Oftentimes, characters are of similar raw power when new as they will be later down the line, but as you spend XP, you get access to new abilities that allow you to approach problems in new ways.
>>
>>29325032
I dont want the level cap to be 400 you fucing retard
you also want it to be open world dont you?
>>
>>29324820
because it would not be a good business decision to release the new pokemon game on a new console that people would have to put like 300 dollars towards. the 3DS is already extremely popular. we literally just learned about the switch today. use your brain just a little bit.
>>
>>29325149
Final fantasy 2, best gameplay in the whole franchise.
>>
>>29325032
it's not that people don't want it- it's that it's an insanely ludicrous expectation that serves to imply you know next to nothing about video games.
>>
>>29325483
How would you balance that? How many hours will it take to beat the game? How many billions of dollars do you think are needed to make it? How many years of development? How much are you willing to pay? How will they make something "better" later?

Back when Gen III releases, I was disappointed, even when DP released I wanted more, I wanted "Pokemon Rainbow", but after gen 4 I realized that it's completely unrealistic, a pipe dream. You should open your eyes too. Two (mediocre) regions at most is possible, anything else and you may as well go play Minecraft or some other shit.
>>
>>29325459
But it is a good idea salty anon
>>
>>29324820
who says they haven't? it'd be on both if that were the case. use your brain.
>>
>>29325180
this is not canonical. there isn't a confirmed world map yet, if ever.
>>
>>29325604
>How would you balance that?
Same way it's already been balanced before, dummy.

As you implied, the issues are with making maps and filling them out. I was just pointing out that levels or level curves are not the issue at all, since it's been done.
>>
>>29325264
How come "it does not work well for the elder scrolls" ? The first game included all the regions.
What did not worked was the oversimplification to appeal to retards and casuals which led to the butchery known as fallout4. Otherwise, the formula is good.
>>
>>29324820
Why would they wait for something that's possibly going to bomb harder than the Wii U?
>>
>>29325180
I could go for a region based on Shikoku, with Cianwood City and Johto being accessible after beating the Elite Four and Kanto being accessible after that
>>
>>29325875
Because there is no 3ds successor on the horizon?

And people always bitch about the lack of home main pokemon games.

2 birds one stone. Also pokemon company is the one that give cards, GF have to listen.
>>
>>29324820
>by making a game that included all the regions.
shaaadaap
>>
>>29325933
Then why not sell it on the 3DS? I think it's very, very optimistic to think the Switch will even match the sales of the Gamecube by this point.

Speaking of which, console Pokemon games don't sell. The best selling console game, Stadium, sold about a million fewer units than the worst selling main game, Crystal.

They have nothing to lose in putting S/M on 3DS. They have everything to lose by waiting for the Switch.
>>
>>29325032
it'd be awful. what are you 12?
>>
>>29326138
>content is awful!
>>
>>29326203
Yeah it is, why do you think Gen V is so beloved here? We're glad the Battle Frontier and contests and following Pokemon were removed to make room for Pokemon Musicals.
>>
>>29325032
People dont know what they want. You'd probably get tired around Hoenn and quit it.
>>
>>29325032
GF needs make to make it happen

All these autistic cucks saying its impossible will be the 1st to pre-order it the day its announced
>>
>>29325160
The system can handle up to 8GB.
>>
>>29325240
The amount of space a game takes up has nothing to do with performance in this instance. 3DS and N3DS alike support game cards up to 8GB.
>>
>>29326501
Yep, the issue here is the amount of triangles. We don't even talk about light at this point, the 3ds could not process it. The pokemon models are way too detailed for the tiny thing but are somewhat perfect for a console like the switch.
The frame drops occur because they thought about their future while creating models. Or just because they overestimated the 3ds process power.
>>
>>29325096
I dunno, I like the second idea, makes you experiment with what each region has to offer.
>>
Notice how Gen 7 only has one event legend to be released after launch? Gamefreak knew Gen 7 would only last for a year or two because they want to get Gen 8 out on the Switch promptly.
>>
>>29325073
>obviously
>>
File: 1476317719714.jpg (103KB, 432x576px) Image search: [Google]
1476317719714.jpg
103KB, 432x576px
>>29325744
This is the first argument I've heard for f4 being oversimplified. Care to explain?
>>
>>29325032
No.

That's stupid as fuck. Soon I'll have to be shilling out more money for the Water type DLC.
>>
>>29326792
The dialog system dumbed down, the build / levelling system dumbed down, the combat system call-of-duty-ed down. It was a rpg with tiny shooter parts, now it is a shooter with homeopathic dose of rpg. And the story... Don't let me start on the story.
>>
God I'm tired of people assuming this is replacing handhelds. Nintendo is calling it a home console and there's no indication that it's combining their console+handheld business
>>
File: cejwes.png (727KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cejwes.png
727KB, 707x1000px
>>29325032
I want an All-League game, not an all regions one.
>>
>>29324820
>muh graphics i am underage i need muh graphics

OP grow up and then come back to this board
>>
Oh shiiit it looks so slick in red! Damn I need this now!
>>
>>29324820
Game freak does what is convenient for them and damn everyone else.
>>
>>29325032
>you pick your starting region
>this is the only region you need to journey through
>the rest you can just fly to collect badges from gymleaders with pokemon and levels that scale with your pokemons levels
>build a team
>there is an online supreme 4 and league champion made up of champions of the other leagues
>do you want to be the very best?
>>
>>29325032
the game itself should be little more than an introduction to the game mechanics so that you're ready for competitive as soon as you finish. GF is doing the right thing by shifting the focus more on the multiplayer/social side of the game (which has been THE core aspect of pokemon since day 1): as a jrpg, pokemon is pretty shallow if you keep playing versus the AI. I like exploration, but I'd rather have one region with lots of little secrets and sidequests (something like Hoenn) than a bloated world that would just feel like a chore to travel through after the 2nd region.
>>
>>29327156
>convenience is buying a $300 device just to play one game
You can't make this fucking shit up.
>>
>>29326792
It's a common complaint among all long-time Fallout fans as well as RPG fans in general. I actually like FO4, but it's the most casual, simplified entry in the series. Gutting the skills, adding the dialogue wheel, and giving the protagonist a voice really didn't help in this regard.
>>
>>29324820
>a game that included all the regions
worst level curve ever!.
>>
>>29325692
Progress and strength were balanced with levels before.
>>
>>29326065
Home Pokémon games also are all spinoffs, dingus.
>>
>>29326486
>8GB
Try 32GB
>>
>>29328643
Okay, so let me get this straight. You think that Sun and Moon would sell better if they were on a brand new console. A console that costs $300 and is being released following Nintendo's single worst-selling console of all time. You think these games would sell better if there were a $339 minimum cost to play one of them, as opposed to an $80 maximum cost to play both of them on the 3DS that the prospective buyer would likely already have.

The Switch would have to sell about 5x as much as the Wii U in order to have the same audience as the 3DS. I don't think there's a chance in hell of that happening, and I don't think most people would be motivated to buy a console just because Pokemon is on it.
>>
>>29324820
You do realize about a year ago /vp/ was in the middle of a mental breakdown over why there weren't new games announced yet. Could you imagine waiting until now to hear ANYTHING about them?

>happy 20th anniversary!
>>
>>29325149
Paper Mario Sticker Star
>>
I want a region with a fucking train station just to know where the fuck the train of Couriway Town go
>>
>>29324820
>Nintendo Switch will release in 2017
>20th anniversary is on 2016

Are you stupid or what?
And than pokémon have to wait 1 year (maybe 2) to let the diffusion of the new console will be acceptable to make a new main game who sell a lot of copies.
>>
>>29325299
No, the multi-billion dollar pile of money they are sitting on is what kept them afloat. Nintendo could just not do anything for 5 years, continue paying its employees full time, and STILL not have died. Nintendo is fucking massive.

Also the handheld sales are nothing compared to merch, especially now that they are making amiibo as well.

And their handheld market is exactly WHY they are focusing solely on the Switch. It's an attempt to make a handheld that is MASSIVELY more powerful, and can be used as a console as well for those who desire to. People thinking it will be a console first dont get how Nintendo is using it.
>>
I wonder if they would still find a way to just completely disregard the console's primary gimmick like they do with the 3DS
>>
>>29324820
Because this shit is going to flop.
>>
>>29328902
I was also under the impression the Switch was first and foremost a handheld, from how the trailer presented it. But Nintendo's official announcement called it a home gaming system.
I think they are expecting good things to come from the hybrid console idea, but they are not yet willing to have it replace traditional handhelds. It all depends on how sucessful the Switch turns out to be. I think the 3DS will keep receiving big support for a year or two, then depending on how the switch is performing they will either announce a handheld sucessor, or migrate the handheld base to the Switch by announcing a mainline pokémon, animal crossing, MH, and other titles that are now associated with portables. I don't think they'll try this before being certain of the thing's success.
>>
>>29329009
Consider that the last game for DS was released in 2015, 5 years after the 3DS.
>>
>20th Anniversary
>2017
>>
>>29327103
It's a handheld. There is no way Nintendo is going to release another handheld console which would be completely overshadowed by a console which is already portable and has great power
>>
>>29324820
>realising a huge franchise game for a system that hasn't been established yet
are you legit fucking retarded?
>>
Pokemon Z will be released on this console.
>>
>>29325299
Did you watch the video or read watch they said,this thing is marketed as a handheld because it is a handheld
>>
>>29325240
You're right, even the damn demo resets my 3ds
>>
>>29325410
>all gens from now on, will be on switch
>too compensate gf has to make huge as fuck regions that dwarf kanto-alola
>gen 8 has region based on all of China
>gen 9 all of russia
>>
>>29324820
Are you a child?
This isn't rocket science, it's very basic common sense about profits.

Even if the NX released at the beginning of this year SM would have still been for 3DS because of obvious install base reasons.
>>
>>29324820
Your dumbass faggitory aside, SM will most likely work with the switch anyhow.
>>
>>29330762

It's a bad compromise of both. It's underpowered for a console but too big and more importantly very likely too expensive for a handheld.
>>
>>29324820
>They could have celebrated the 20th anniversary by making a game that included all the regions.
Oh, look. OP is that special brand of retarded faggot.
>>
>>29331086
It's not underpowered for a console, since consoles don't have to be underpowered PCs. I wouldn't say it's too big.

Overall, it is a perfect complement to a PC
>>
>>29325354
My god you just described Sticker Star.
>>
>>29325032
Yes this is the fucking dream.
>>
>>29324820
It would've taken another two years.
>>
No backwards compatibility confirmed. So Bank and Transfer will be useless after gen VII if gen VIII is on the Switch?
>>
>>29331666

The whole point of the Bank is that it's just a small app requiring internet access. Which makes transferring things to different devices a trivial thing to do compared to the past hassles with consoles without internet.
>>
>>29324820
>Why didn't GF wait for the Switch to release SM?
two years since ORAS you doofus.

The question is why they didn't do a filler third version of XY instead.
>>
>>29331666
No physical backwards compatibility
>>
>>29331666
Bank is a universal service, not a 3DS app
>>
>>29331735
>>29331811
>>29331825
Great, thanks.
>>
>>29331811
There needs to be riots against this now. We want our games and we don't want to have to buy them AGAIN.
>>
>>29331852
That's the problem of physical games and one of the reasons why digital games exist.
>>
>>29324820
>They could have celebrated the 20th anniversary by making a game that included all the regions. Just imagine the magniitude of exploration.

Rising cost of game development means you'll probably never see another Pokemon game with multiple regions. It would cost a monumental amount of time, effort, and money to render all of Kanto, Johto, Habanero, etc in 3D. And even though you think that it'll boost sales tremendously, it really won't. Every extra region they add could be its own 40 dollar release, and no business is gonna pass on that deal when they know people are guaranteed to buy it.
>>
>>29324820
I don't want to buy some shitty nvidia hardware. Really hope they'll release separate handheld device without nvidia crap.
>>
File: SPHERICLE.png (140KB, 400x359px) Image search: [Google]
SPHERICLE.png
140KB, 400x359px
>>29325073
There have been a lot of rumors pointing to this, but I don't think it's happening. I'm hoping, though. That would be fucking amazing. They have already confirmed they have high poly models made for whenever they DO make the switch (pun intended) to a more powerful system.
>>
>>29325073
Nah. We'll be getting an entirely new game. Too many touch based features you see.
>>
>>29325250
So you want a shit game.
>>
>>29325032
I think Alola is a step in the right direction. I want the next pokemon game to make it look like an improved version of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
>>
>>29324820
but if it was released next year, it wouldn't be the 20th anniversary
>>
>>29332953
all pokemon games are better than shit of the wild
>>
>>29325038
There's also the fact that each region is designed to house the facilities needed for that game.

Having all the regions would give you bloated facilities and a very bloated game.
>>
>>29325096
What if you had a central region with all the 'battle stuff' as a central point in the game.
Everytime you go to a new region, you can't access your pokemon until your back at the central point again.
>>
>>29325032
Fuck no, since the regions have long lost any special features and exclusive Pokemon ages ago.

Why would I want to go to Johto just to have a radio / phone calls?

Why would I want to go to Hoenn for Pokeblocks and diving?

Why would I want to go to Sinnoh to just dive underground for a chance at evolution stones?

Unova would be nice for the World Championship and Subway battles, but that's about it

Why the fuck would ANYONE want to go to Kalos, when everything about it was stripped out and put into ORAS and future games? The only memorable thing it has beyond Megas and a partly fucked up fate for the villains is the fact that they have literal underage romance forced upon players

All the exclusive Pokemon are available for the most part in other games, usually the newest within the series, and the tiny quirks to make each region unique means piss all. XY and ORAS have it where almost all but 200ish Pokemon are obtainable within the base game.

The only reason a massive game with all regions can work at this point is if they do a MMO and let people choose their region, and guess what, Kanto will be number one, despite ALL their Pokemon being readily available elsewhere in the world.
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.