[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Fights that weren't as easy as everyone implies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14

File: Gardenia-pokemon.png (30KB, 289x400px) Image search: [Google]
Gardenia-pokemon.png
30KB, 289x400px
"Pokémon was always easy"

>Second gym
>Turtwig, Cherrim AND Roserade
>Turtwig sets up Sunny Day for Cherrim
>Spam Leech Seed
>Spam Safeguard so you can't inflict status conditions

Y-yeah sure thing it's easy... Of course it's easy when you spam super effective moves, but when you don't have support, especially this early on you're screwed. Not to mention she has two fully evolved pokémon, one of them being a THREE stage evolution
>>
yeah my wife sure can fuck em up
>>
>>29324726
Your wife is _good_
>>
I almost lost to Lenora when I was playing White because of Hypnosis bullshit. I also lost to Cress multiple times but that was only because I didn't want to use the free monkey.
>>
>>29324702
>sunny day
if you had a fire type like you should've, that would've made your moves even more effective
you were just poorly planned and are a shitter
>>
platinum had some pretty good battles.
>>
>>29325118
Anything's easy when you spam super effective moves, did you even read OP autistic fucker?

>>29325061
I remember, she did try to pull that on me but it kept failing lol
As for Cilan I somehow managed to fuck his shit up with Dewott + Focus Energy because he used a couple Work Up but couldn't start sweeping.
>>
File: IMG_0003.png (14KB, 393x374px)
IMG_0003.png
14KB, 393x374px
>>29324702
>all good, don't think I need to heal before facing the gym leader
Not the wisest decision I've ever made
Also Gardenia a cute and under appreciated. Please post Gardenia
>>
>>29324702
yeah but it's hard as fuck not to have (likely multiple) grass counters at that point. i've played platinum 10 times and only managed to have one team that didn't have a trivial time with her
>>
>>29324702
I hate most of the gen 2 gym leaders, save like 3
>>
File: 230px-XY_Clemont.png (83KB, 230x323px) Image search: [Google]
230px-XY_Clemont.png
83KB, 230x323px
XY's battles were mostly easy, but this fucker (and maybe Grant and Valerie, considering that you didn't use the exp. share, megas and battled only with 3 mons) was pretty annoying if you didn't have something that resisted electric-type moves.
>>
>>29325449
It depends on the team build, really, my future grass counter is Togekiss but I don't get the egg until after I beat Team Galactic. Either way, the battle is iinherently hard if you don't use a super effective type.
>>
hardest battle i can remember was fucking falkner of all people
he kept spamming roost which i didn't know existed at the time and i just could not beat him
>>
File: IMG_2978.png (79KB, 180x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2978.png
79KB, 180x427px
I dunno why people complain about Whitney when pryce was ten times harder

Always manages to snag a kill in my nuzlockes
>>
>>29325706
I remember going through the HGSS beginning recently and I usually do no-faint runs, but very early on fuckers start using high AI combos like supersonic + focus energy + attack moves, repeat if confusion wears off. Unbelievable.
>>
>>29324702
It's your problem if you don't want ro use early route birds.
>>
File: 6.jpg (132KB, 429x594px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
132KB, 429x594px
I'm currently doing a Wonderlocke in ORAS and I just got to Mauville City. I went to battle Inver and his Grimer just one hit KO'd my Makuhita with Gunk Shot. Who the fuck has a 120 BP move this early in the game?
>>
>>29325737
3 Pokemon, Ice-type, only 1 fully evolved and the max level he has is 34 in HGSS. Unless you're playing some romhack like Naturia, he's pretty easy.
>>
>>29325816
Not him but I can see Pryce being hard because rest often seems to work in his favor.
>>
>>29325816
If you go to Mahogany before Olivine he's probably tougher.
>>
>>29325789
>It's another every team has to have the same pokemon episode
>>
Also I don't know if Challenge Mode counts but I remember Challenge Mode Clay taking me three tries to beat. Challenge Mode Cheren took a few tries too, I think, but that's early game when you probably only have 1 or 2 Pokemon on your team.
>>
Lenora in Black and White, too. Retaliate was deadly.
>>
>>29325816
This. He's way too weak to be the 7th Gym Leader. I always fight him early on for more challenge, and I still don't find any.
>>
File: GYMNASTMEME.jpg (993KB, 2292x3270px)
GYMNASTMEME.jpg
993KB, 2292x3270px
THAT POSE THOUGH
>>
File: 1402105155836.gif (8KB, 234x224px) Image search: [Google]
1402105155836.gif
8KB, 234x224px
>>29324702

Train only my starter arrives level 40+ to second gym.

disobedient prick.

Reks the fuck out of all gyms.

never understood why people train pkmn in turns.
>>
>>29324702

I always find Emerald Wattson pretty troublesome if I don't pick Marshtomp/Geodude
>>
>>29325118

>fire type
>Sinnoh

go away Flint.
>>
>>29326027
>disobedient prick.

Don't lie. A Pokemon with your OT will never disobey you.
>>
>>29326027
To have fun. You can "rek" all gyms with a fucking Magikarp if you're good enough.
>>
File: 1403046586014.jpg (98KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1403046586014.jpg
98KB, 768x768px
>>29326052
>>
>>29326046
>he didn't play Platinum
HAW HAW HAW
>>
>>29326014
kek I love her battle poses
>>
>>29326073

wow, it increased from two to five!
>>
>don't use SE moves
Is Ashlocke a thing now?
>>
>>29326089
well using SE moves on ALL gyms is not the best thing if you're looking for a thrill anon...
>>
>>29326121
I guess, so would be using anything over 500 BST or held items but just because you can have trouble playing the game if you decide to shoot yourself in the foot doesn't mean the game isn't hard.
>>
>>29326185
*isn't easy
>>
>>29326185
wew all I did was pick up two pokes I liked and only one of them is weak to grass, the rest not yet available, I didn't exactly shoot myself in the foot
"*picks up the box legendary and beats the league with it* Yeah! This game sure is easy!"
I think that quote pretty much sums up the point you're trying to make.
>>
>>29326274
I stopped using the legendaries after gen 2, but that's a self imposed restriction a lot of people use to make the game harder than it actually is. By default, a game's difficulty is considered With all the tools available to you that don't involve cheating. So yes, pokémon is easy, if people restrain themselves from using the tools available to them, good for them, it still doesn't change this fact.

This is also why me and a lot of people play on switch, don't use the new xp share etc.
>>
>>29326401
*play on set
Fuck time to go to bed
>>
>>29326274
>two pokes I liked and only one of them is weak
Just curious, what Pokemon and what level were they?
>>
>>29326401
Anon, easy by definition, and also 'tools you're given' like you say would mean anything you pick up in the game is good for all fights, which is not true. It's not a self imposed restriction, I simply went with whatever I liked, not a pokémon specifically chosen for each battle. Having to pick one for that would be a nod to there being certain difficulty, because it's not easy otherwise.
>>
Elesa was fucking rough with all the fast mons and Volt Switch spam.
>>
>>29325737
I beat pryce with Meganium though
>>
>>29325235
>Anything's easy when you spam super effective moves

No shit? You mean, like how every Pokemon from at least 4th gen on (maybe 3rd) had a fuckin Pokemon school before the first gym fight, teaching you that you should use super effective moves, and things like status effects? Yeah, it's easy. If you need to gimp yourself to make the game challenging, then the game is easy.
>>
>>29326470
Prinplup and Bronzor. Prinplup has 3 levels above her Roserade and Bronzor is slightly underlevelled by 2 (my bad, I know). You would believe it could tank her pokes with its type and defenses, but with Safeguard and Seed on play it eventually gets worn out
>>
>>29326570
The school's been there since Gen 1. It only started having trainers to battle with Gen 4 though.
>>
>>29326570
>nuh nuh nuh! you're only allowed to use super effective types!
Wow, a child's definition of difficulty sure is stubborn.
>>
>>29326595
I always teach my Prinplup Pluck, so it fucks Gardenia up really well, but if you didn't teach it the move or the opponent tanks a hit, I can see the battle being difficult.
>>
>>29326622
I'm not saying you're only allowed to, I'm saying that by locking yourself out of mechanics and shit, that doesn't make the game not an easy game. Yeah, of course if you don't use SE attacks, and you turn off Exp share, and Nuzlocke it, you're going to be in for a bit of a challenge. But the game itself is still an easy game.
>>
>>29325785
Johto people use a lot of status moves

>>29325816
Ice Gyms just suck. But he did catch me off guard with RestTalk and Icy Wind.
>>
>>29326622
If you have the option to, there is no reason not to use Super Effective moves.
>>
>>29324702
XY.
Reflection Cave.
>nearly wipe to a Battle Girl's Hawlucha
>actually wipe to a Black Belt's Sawk
Fuckers have Pokemon with speed and power on par with fully-evolved 'mons, and damn good coverage on 'em to boot.
I don't understand why they bothered giving NPCs optimized sets when your so-called "Rivals" get the shittiest sets this side of Blue's Rhydon.
>>
>>29326635
no I did teach it peck like I said on some other post in this thread, but since it's a bold Prinplup it doesn't do much and because it's set battle style I'm always forced to switch on to at least one grass attack.
>>
>>29325118

>Fire Type
>In D/P
>>
>>29324702
>spam super effective moves
>using type weakness is cheap
Kek
Stay away from post game if strategy is too much for you to handle
>>
>>29326645
Sometimes you're not always in the position to use super effective moves, and mind you that's the only thing I'm listing as a restriction. If you can't take things down without using SE attacks exclusively, then there's a certain difficulty to the game.

>>29326664
That's the thing. The option isn't always available.
>>
>>29326724
>second gym
>post game
>using SE moves on the first couple of fights isn't cheap
>SE moves only
>strategy
You're too much for this game clearly.
>>
>>29326869
> implying I "had" to use se moves
Actually I always match the gym's type to make it fun
>Keep crying its too tough lil bitch
>>
File: 1387329649294.png (28KB, 121x196px)
1387329649294.png
28KB, 121x196px
>>29326570
>Gen 4
>Having a fire type before Platinum
>>
>>29326901
>thinks the word bitch is insulting at all
>makes a point but actually does the complete opposite
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>29326958
Wasn't there always a Ponyta on the Route up from the first gym?
>>
>>29326993
I don't think there was in DP.
And realistically, it's a Ponyta. Nobody uses that shit, even if it's just a one-gym crutch.
>>
>>29326072
>implying he's wrong
>>
>first time going against the E4 in Diamond
>Huh, I just realized I have no fire moves. What fire types are in this game, anyway
>Look it up
>ARE YOU SERIOUS
>Decide to catch a Steelix in Victory Road, teach it Fire Fang
>Chuck Mesprit into my party for added power
(note: I hadn't learned about EVs at this point)
>Steelix does almost nothing the whole five battles
>Almost lost to Lucian
>Cynthia is an excellent, hard fight.
>Part of it devolved into her Garchomp using Giga Impact on my Mesprit and me Hyper Potioning it, then attacking during Gar's recovery turn. Repeat until Cynthia used all her full restores, then killed it
That fight was tense as fuck. I'm not a dumbass anymore though, so I haven't had a fight that good until ORAS Steven, where I handicapped myself by choice. Ended up being a super satisfying fight too, though.
>>
By that logic Brock in Yellow is the hardest fight ever.
>>
The cowboy guy in bw
>>
>>29326596
Where was the school in gen 1? I don't remember it
>>
>>29324702
Litcherally use Monferno, Staravia, Ponyta, Driftloon, Golbat (maybe even Crobat)
>>29325642
>>29325737
I don't know what you're talking about
>>29326510
Agreed, if you don't have a ground type the battle is actually tough

Even if you have a Grass type I think Zebstrika knows Flame Charge as well
>>29327251
I remember I caught a Floatzel and trained it specifically for Garchomp, he survived since Dragon Rush missed and OHKOd with Ice Beam
>>
>>29326673
I always have trouble with throh and sawk. They seem to always take my hits like men and they smash my face in.
>>
>>29328204
This. I had to go out and catch a grass mon specifically for him.
>>
>>29328680
Ice Beam
>>
>>29328695
ice beam is my favorite gen 2 tm
>>
>>29328717
you know what, youre right. I only ever played Crystal and I was thinking of Aurora Beam. Suicune destroys Lance.
>>
I never grinded in platinum. Fantina's mismagius just loved using confuse ray and then it would just spam shadow ball over and over until I wasn't confused, then it would confuse me again.
>>
File: 1447357725978.png (81KB, 495x398px) Image search: [Google]
1447357725978.png
81KB, 495x398px
Not related to gym leaders but there was a trainer in ORAS that I thought was pretty neat on Route 110. She has a plusle and a minun both holding sitrus berries. She sends out minun and instantly uses trick, giving your pokemon the sitrus berry. When your pokemon defeats minun she sends out plusle who after taking some damage eats its own sitrus berry and then uses switch again to get the minun's sitrus berry, effectively allowing the plusle to have two sitrus berries in the same battle.

It wasn't a particularly difficult battle but it was cool when it happened
>>
>stuck on colress in bw2 because most of my pokemon take super effective or neutral damage from magnemite stab and i have no super effective moves against them
>>
>>29328850
always the ghost gyms
>>
>>29328757
Except his Dragonites know Thunder. I always taught my Feraligatr Ice Punch for him, but he still made it a tough fight because of that.
>>
>>29328850
Fantina has a serious case of manjaw.
>>
>>29324702
Anon, just because you were a baby when you played it doesn't mean other people with fully developed brains had trouble. I know you're a sinnohfetus like most /vp/ posters but try to use a little critical thinking.
>>
>>29328680
>people actually had trouble with Mr. Monotype

LMAO
Lance sucks dick
>>
File: 265px-Diamond_Pearl_Roark.png (141KB, 265x599px) Image search: [Google]
265px-Diamond_Pearl_Roark.png
141KB, 265x599px
This guy, geodude and onix were easy, but his fucking cranidos outspeed most pokemon you can have at this point of the game so it will make you flinch nearly every turn with his headbutt. Add that to cranidos high attack stat and pursuit to finish a weakened pokemon when you switch.
If like me you hate grinding and didn't already have your starter evolved at this point, this guy is probably the hardest first gym leader in the whole franchise.
>>
File: YthQFl.jpg (42KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
YthQFl.jpg
42KB, 640x400px
ROLLOUT
>>
>>29328358
Elesa has a joltik or galvantula with energy ball in challenge mode to fuck up your ground types.
>>
>>29329117
>I won't use moves that aren't SE only
>Critical thinking
Good one, my friend.
>>
>>29325118
The only fire type that early is the starter. Piss off.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.