[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck is their point here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 22

File: whatthefuckareyoudoingholyshit.png (36KB, 305x142px) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuckareyoudoingholyshit.png
36KB, 305x142px
You know, I've been trying to have an open mind on this.
Lately, I've changed my mind about a lot of old designs I used to hate, like Probopass. Seeing that Probopass fight in the first episode of Generations changed my mind about it. I could finally picture it being cool in battle.
But these... What's the point?
I'm trying to figure out a way to make Alola Dugtrio look good in my eyes. But I can't. It doesn't even look silly or ridiculous. It just looks like a really sad design. How can this ever be fierce in battle? Look at those stupid haircuts.
And Persian? Probably the first design I looked and actually thought "what 3 year old drew this?". What's the point even? It doesn't look like anything. It's really just a recolor with a disproportionate head, for no reason. People might say it looks like fancy cat breeds but those already look like Purugly.
Seriously what the fuck is going on? Why would anyone do this?
>>
>I could finally picture it being cool in battle.
>How can this ever be fierce in battle?

not everything has to be cool dude
>>
>>29250680
I like persian but that dugitrio is just very lazy and not appealing at all
>>
>>29250727
THIS.
>>
>>29250680
>Hurrdurr, it's lame and not cool/fierce enough!
"I could finally see Probopass as cool"
NEWSFLASH: it's not supposed to

>>29250731
I unironically love it and find it appealing.
>>
>>29250680
>2(two) "bad" designs
EVERYTHING IS CURSED AND SHIT
>>
>>29250727
>>29250768
>>29250818
Sure, things can just be silly. Like Slowbro. One of my favorite mons.
Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. These don't look "fierce". But they certainly don't look silly either. Just poorly thought out.

>>29250818
>it's not supposed to
Uh? Yes it is. Cool just means fresh and overall nice.

>>29250880
I never said everything is cursed and shit. Just that these are two really bad designs.
>>
what if we can make haircuts in dugtrio? epic
>>
you don't get it kid, scram, let the big boys play. Ever heard of a little something called irony? of course not, you're not even of the level of a meme initiate, how can you even hope to compare to us? We're embedded so deep in our layers of irony we're impenetrable to normal scum such as yourself.
>>
>>29250920
>dugtrios with mo-hawks
youve sold me anon
>>
i also dont get it op, they have absolutely zero appeal, are not even funny. i cant get around the fact that those jokes actually passed all quality control and somehow made its way into actual pokemon.
>>
File: Dudetrio.gif (142KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Dudetrio.gif
142KB, 300x200px
Why people hate Alolan Dudetrio? Is my favorite alola form and the only one than i going to use ingame, is one of the few mons with a "funny" design
Alolan Persian is not that good and i get why people dont like it, i think he needed a more fitting body, something more fat
>>
>alolan meowth was a specially bred pokemon
>the breeders never took persian into consideration
How is this hard to understand?
>>
File: so what is.gif (547KB, 244x164px) Image search: [Google]
so what is.gif
547KB, 244x164px
>>29251013
>not even funny
>those jokes
>>
Honestly those are the only two Alola forms I don't care for so I'm fine with it.
>>
File: q5cz1g7a9lbpwkhs554z.gif (752KB, 800x473px) Image search: [Google]
q5cz1g7a9lbpwkhs554z.gif
752KB, 800x473px
>>29250915
>they certainly don't look silly either
yep nothing silly here
>>
i think dugtrio and mega ampharos go to the same coiffeur
>>
>>29251122
Because an actual animal that would actually look like that would die in stillbirth.
An animal that gets overbred looks ugly, not disproportionately so bad that it can even get past the birth canal.
>>
>>29251210
Op here. I don't get the joke. Is it "xd random"?

>>29251064
That gif might be funny but the real thing just looks kinda sad.
>>
>>29250680
>But these... What's the point?
the fuck is that question to begin with? Who are you?
>>
>>29250680
>Probably the first design I looked and actually thought "what 3 year old drew this?"
I know that feel. That has been my first reaction for 50% of this gens pokemon.
>>
>>29251064
It is funny, I just liked the idea of a Diglett/Dugtrio with a more drastic change that having hair. People were suggesting Flying and Fire type Digletts and instead they just got hair.
>>
>>29250680
Alola Persian is shit-tier, but I can't dislike Alola Dugtrio for some reason. It's odd because Alola Dugtrio seems like the sort of thing I would rag on hard af, but I just can't. I actually kind of like it.
>>
>>29251235

Not him but assuming real life mammalian birth "rules" an adult meowth aka persian doesn't give birth to another persian it gives birth to a meowth.

So assuming the breeders gave zero fucks about persians it is perfectly feasible to have ugly as fuck inbred persians. The meowth isn't the deform pokemon in question.

I say this as someone who absolutely hates aloa persian but understands the core premise at work.
>>
>>29250680
Persian looks more like a Meowth that never matured, at least that was my take
I don't like it either but it's meant to be like a pampered housecat as opposed to other Persian that are more like wild pumas, right?
>>
Pokemon that should just flat-out be removed:
>Volbeat
>Illumise
>Spinda
>Clamperl
>Huntail
>Gorebyss
>Rotom
>Uxie
>Mesprit
>Azelf
>Heatran
>Shaymin
>Manaphy
>Pansage
>Simisage
>Pansear
>Simisear
>Panpour
>Simipour
>Cobalion
>Terrakion
>Keldeo
No one likes them. No one uses them. No one even THINKS about them. They are the most forgettable, worst designed space fillers in all of media.

Additionally, I would remove gender differences because they add absolutely nothing, with the exception of stuff like Unfezant, Pyroar and Mewostic, where it actually is more than "durr da abdomen is biggur". Also, don't make them have a whole slot in the Pokedex. If you see a Pokemon, both genders appear in the Pokedex. That's it.

Turn Alolan Exeggutor into Mega Exeggutor and remove all the other Alola forms. They're useless. I love Alolan Ninetales but it's not worth it and it goes against the actual Kitsune legend anyway.
>>
>>29250818
I'm not saying it's bad, it's just sad that they could've given the alola to another pokemon and do something creative with it, just seems like a wasted opportunity.
>>
File: giphy.gif (899KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
899KB, 500x309px
>>29251625
I like Spinda
>>
>>29251514
That doesn't make sense anyway. Even if it can be born, it still dies from complications
>>
>>29250680
>>29251235
Are you blind or you never saw Meowth in 20 years?
>>
>>29250680
New potential copypasta?
>>
>>29251625
Hey I like Rotom, fuck you
>>
>>29251994
But Meowth is supposed to be cartoonish. Persian is just off. Like somebody took persian, selected only its head in photoshop, then enlarged it and saved it.
>>
>>29251744
Spinda is the epitome of bad design. Where are its eyes? OOOOH, it can have over 4 billion variatons! Better collect them all!

>>29252023
You only like Wash Rotom. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>29250680
I think that most people fail to realise that Game Freak's design philosophies have been changing as the years went by.

The fundamental aspect that is to blame for all of these design criticism threads is Gen 1 nostalgia. Most old fans are biased due to generation 1 nostalgia. I'm not accusing anyone of being a genwunner but if you've been playing Pokémon since the first generation you are more likely to dislike current generation designs. Generation 1 designs were less cartoony and more detailed, especially in terms of proportions. This is observed when you compare Vulpix and Fennekin. Both are share a "fire fox" theme but if you compare the designs you will see drastic differences.

Pokémon designs have been evolving with the times. Ken Sugimori himself stated that he wanted Pokémon designs to become simpler. And that's what's happening every generation. Compare the designs from each generation and you will find that for every generation, the number cartoony, simpler designs increases.

Fans need to come to terms with the fact that modern Pokémon designs will never resemble the generation 1 style. Alolan Persian is proof of this. As you stated, they could have simply recoloured Persian but they clearly retconned its design to look simpler and more cartoony. That's the new design philosophy that Game Freak employed.
>>
File: image.jpg (660KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
660KB, 2304x1728px
Knowing that this was the inspiration for alolan dugtrio's surfer hair helped
me get over it, but Autiscat is irredeemable
>>
>>29252064
It looks like someone turned on the giant head cheat code.
>>
>>29252071
Not me, but I like all rotoms.
>>
>>29251625
Just poor taste all around

also:

>not loving spinda's animation
pleb
>>
>>29252064
Why is Meowth supposed to be cartoonish? Why couldn't it be "realistic" like Persian?

Like somebody took a cat, selected only its head in photoshop, then enlarged it, shortened its legs, then saved it.

It doesn't make sense that Meowth can have a giant head and Persian cannot, ignoring how ugly it may be.
>>
>>29250680
What? We can't have a few silly pokemon now and then?
You still got their original forms. Not everything has to be cool or cute.
>>
>>29251266
That...is the real thing anon.
>>
>>29252071
Nah, I like all Rotoms. My favorite is Lawn Mower.
>>
>>29250680
I can live with the aloha Persian but that Dugtrio is unacceptable.
>>
>>29251364
Remember what happened to Ampharos? Alolan Dugtrio is going to be Ground/Dragon.
>>
>>29252269
Meowth was designed from scratch to look like a silly creature. If you were to make its head smaller with photoshop it would look weird.
Persian doesn't make sense. It's just simply off.
>>
>>29252071
I like fridge because it's the only Electric/Ice in the game
>>
>>29250680
Dugtrio is just a funny joke, just laugh.
Not everything needs to be absol that got caught by team rocket after he saw his parents die and got forced to mega evolve with the dark stone.
>>
>>29251625
Spare Spinda and Rotom, they are cool, the rest can go fuck itself.
>>
>>29252326
>funny faces and expressions
'no'
>>
>>29252347
This.
>>
File: Lorelei_Slowbro.png (432KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Lorelei_Slowbro.png
432KB, 640x480px
>all Pokemon can't look silly, they need to look badass and cool always
>>
>>29251625
I agree with all except Spinda
>>
File: this isn't even bait anymore.jpg (191KB, 1600x1584px) Image search: [Google]
this isn't even bait anymore.jpg
191KB, 1600x1584px
>>29251625

>No one uses Rotom, Heatran, Shaymin, Terrakion or Keldeo.
>>
>>29252451
My mistake. I mixed up your responses.
>>
>>29252278
>>29252474
They don't look silly. Just off. Like I said here: >>29250915
I like silly btw. Slowbro is one of my favorite mons

>>29252441
What's the joke then?
>>
>>29252512
I don't really understand what you mean by off.
How is Slowbrow silly but the wig mole and sphere cat aren't?
>>
>>29251266
You are overthinking it. Adding beach-blonde wavy hair to these simple creatures just because of the beach setting is the joke.
>>
>>29250680
>we need more alola forms
>lets pick from the gen 1 mons nobody cares
>what do we do with diglet/dugtrio?
>Put them a wig and call it a day
>>
>>29251625
I like Shaymin and don't really mind Spinda, Manaphy or Keldeo. Other than that I think I can agree with that list.
>>
>>29251064
I ditto that anon 110%. It's fucking hysterical and I love it. I don't give a fuck what its typing is, it's going on my team.
>>
File: worthless_bait.jpg (55KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
worthless_bait.jpg
55KB, 625x626px
>>29251625
>>Shaymin
>>

Yes the hair is funny, it is

But there are what 18 Alola form Pokemon
That means at least 3 of those are """"jokes""""
Like yeah haha it's good to have funny jokes ha ha so funny but you can't introduce a new thing and have one fifth of that entire mechanic be dedicated to """"jokes""""

I mean let's be honest it's not that funny it just looks rushed
>>
File: 3b9.png (879KB, 957x900px) Image search: [Google]
3b9.png
879KB, 957x900px
>>29252373
>Flygon will be cucked by yet another Pokémon with his typing
>>
>>29252810
It's not really a mechanic.
You guys take this game way too seriously sometimes.
>>
>>29252557
Dugtrio doesn't look like anything at all, really. It's not nonsensical or whimsy or ridiculous, it's just off. Like the drawing doesn't make sense. Dugtrio by itself is already one of the worst designs ever and pretty much the reason I dislike gen 1 so much (along with stuff like Muk and Voltorb, but at least Alolan Muk is an actual improvement with a theme). This is just poorly thought out. Unless it loses Ground typing, it doesn't even make sense to exist.
Alolan Persian isn't even a "sphere cat" or whatever you said. It's just a regular persian, open photoshop, recolor grey, select head, enlarge, save. Like a prank someone would pull off on your pics when you leave your pc in some public area. Except it's supposed to be an actual real thing, and not just a visual joke.
Slowbro on the other hand is very thought out. First the legend it's based on (I recommend reading http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species:_Slowpoke,_Slowbro_and_Slowking). Second it's actually drawn cartoonish from the start, mostly on the face/expression which looks dimwitted and silly. Persian doesn't look silly. Just regular persian with an enlarged poorly cropped face. Dugtrio doesn't look silly either, just regular Dugtrio (already a terrible design) with a wig. "lol xd"? I guess Dugtrio is supposed to be more funny than Persian? I can accept that somewhat, but it still looks terrible.
>>
>>29252900
Not that anon, but it doesn't matter what the name of it is. If it's not a mechanic, it's a gimmick or whatever.
>>
>>29251625
>Rotom
I love this one.
>>
Dugtrio has golden flowing locks of a warrior, Persian is a down syndrome girlfriend
>>
>Alolan Meowth were bred for/by royalty and are known for their extreme VANITY
>Alolan Persian has a BIG HEAD

it takes all of .5 seconds to figure out the joke in this design, what is wrong with people
>>
File: D3.png (10KB, 332x143px) Image search: [Google]
D3.png
10KB, 332x143px
>>29252902
>Dugtrio
>worst designs ever
>already a terrible design

why didn't you just say I AM A TREMENDOUS FAGGOT PLEASE RAPE MY FACE

Dugtrio is a fucking legend
don't you fucking forget it
>>
>>29253389
Buttnuts
>>
Jokemons are not a new thing and probably will never go away

Get used to it
>>
>>
>>29251976

Complications like what exactly? All that has been mentioned is head deformity. But the deformity appears during adulthood aka aloa persian where it technically doesn't matter anymore because the desired results is retained in the aloa meowth.
>>
>>29252614
This, I find it absolutely hilarious just because of how rediculous it looks.
>>
File: 1467310628099.jpg (64KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1467310628099.jpg
64KB, 612x612px
>there are people who will unironically defend these shittiest of designs on here

Truly /vp/ is a conglomerate of delusional autism.
>>
>>29254393
No. I just stopped taking designs so seriously.
Especially alternate forms.
>>
File: oh fuck yes.jpg (48KB, 390x390px) Image search: [Google]
oh fuck yes.jpg
48KB, 390x390px
post yfw alolan dugtrio is so fucking stupid that it's the best thing ever made
>>
>>29250680
I agree fully. This is the first time where it's felt like I'm actually getting trolled by a design. Like, I dislike a lot of Gen 1 and 5 designs for various reasons but at least most of them look like Pokemon. Ice cream and gears may be dumb but at the very least they have a theme going on and feel like Pokemon.

Here...why? Persian's head doesn't even look connected to its body. The joke for Dugtrio is bad and what little novelty wears off very quickly. Even megas weren't this dumb, Mega Ampharos also has that goofy rockstar like hair but it's justified and actually looks neat. Everybody and their dads are creaming themselves over Alolan formes but this all just seems like very bad, obvious gen 1 pandering. It feels like complaints aren't being listened to.

>b-but you're liking the last generation and liking the new, h-hypocrite!
>b-but they should shill to genwunners, its the most popular and gets them the most money!
>b-but you have no say, this is a series for kids!
It's getting real fucking tiring of hearing the same 3 things over and over.
>>
>>29252373
>the Japanese word for mole literally means "ground dragon"
Oh god, you're right.
>>
>>29251210
Not OP but the only people who would find this "silly" are people under the age of like 7, but then again, that is their target.
>>
>>29254458
>tfw people shitting on alola dugtrio and im just here thinking of baywatch parodies in my head and chuckling
>>
>>29250680
>team rocket meowth finally evolves into a Persian in Alola
>for whatever reason it's to the Alola form
>>
>>29254458
It's seriously the funniest fucking thing to ever come from Pokemon.

10/10 design. It's almost as if it's satirizing Alola Forms.
>>
>>29250680
I'll never complain about Alolan Raichu's ears ever again after seeing what they did to Persian.
>>
>>29252395
Why doesn't it "make sense"?

Meowth was this and that but WHY it was this and that? Why couldn't it have been like Persian?

And on the contrary, why can't Persian be like Meowth?
>>
>>29254458
The exact same thing happened with Stunfisk. It was so fucking stupid looking it became appealing.
>>
>>29251235
You should do some research on over bred animals. Some bulldogs require C-sections. Same thing with alolan Persian.
>>
Holy shit this thread is full with bottom low standards. How does it feel to defend actual shit? Everyone who unironically likes the designs of Persian and Dugtrio is sick in his head there is literally no other option
>>
>>29253389
Dugtrio is a horrible pokemon and you should feel ashamed of yourself.
A legend? Ffs m8.

>>29253579
They're not jokes when they aren't even executed to be jokes.

>>29254267
You think people with giant acquired head deformities just walk around like its nothing?

>>29254719
Meowth is a shop cat. You know, the ones that bring good luck to shopowners. It's supposed to be silly and cartoony.
Persian is a black panther, but white (but just as rare).
Alolan Meowth is the same but with a different color and a permanent different expression. It's fine
Alolan Persian is... Nothing. Just a poor design. It's not designed from scratch to be goofy, it's just a regular persian with a head that was edited on photoshop to be big for no reason. There's no proportion, it's not funny, just weird and sad.
>>
>>29254458
this
>>
>>29254860
I'm a vet actually, go fuck yourself. Some dogs require cesareans because of the proportion between the mother and the pups, not because of overly disproportionate heads, fuck off.
>>
>>29254873
That's the point! It's a shit Pokemon on purpose that only a select few like and everyone else looks upon with disgust and pity.

Just like how highly bred dogs and cats are treated in animal communities.

It's a shit, terrible Pokemon that looks horrible. Anyone who likes it should feel terrible, but it's still a very clever design.
>>
>>29250680
> Probably the first design I looked and actually thought "what 3 year old drew this?"
That's the problem with a lot of designs in both this gen and the previous. They don't just look poorly designed, they look _poorly drawn,_ as if the artists somehow stopped having skill. And that's just insulting to the players.

It's like minimalist art that's just a bunch of splatters on a canvas - you can talk all you want about whether or not it's artistically meaningful, but nobody actually cares, because it isn't actually a display of artistic skill. People don't hate Dewgong, even though it's actually an incredibly boring design, because it looks like it was drawn by someone who can actually draw and who put a bit of effort into it.

In contrast, look at Alolan Persian's face. We have all the graphical power of the 3DS to spare, and what do they decide to model with it? A gray spheroid. It might actually be tolerable if the snout stood out or if the chin were anything other than a perfect elliptic arc, but they can't even be assed to do that.

Or, maybe they could have changed all the other parts of its body to make it actually look like a fat cat. But they didn't. It has this stupidly fat face attached to a normal Persian's body. It's like they never actually looked at the thing they drew before they sent it in to the modellers.
>>
>>29254964
>I'm a vet
And I'm the queen of Australia

British bulldogs in particular often require C-sections because of the head/body proportions of both mom and pup.
>>
>>29255006
But it doesn't look like any over bred animal. stop insisting on it.
>>
Stop taking things so seriously, it's a video game
they're fun, silly redesigns
>>
Alolan Persian is probably meant to represent genetic defects that occur when cats are selectively bred for domestication. Pretty sure Dugtrio is just a joke.
>>
File: 104-large_default.jpg (72KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
104-large_default.jpg
72KB, 500x500px
>>29254906
Okay. You still aren't telling me WHY Meowth is supposed to be silly and cartoony.
You still aren't telling me WHY Persian can't be silly and cartoony when its pre-evo is.

I don't care what they're based on. What i care is that you aren't telling me why Meowth can have a head double its body and Persian can't have a big head or why Meowth can be cartoony and Persian, its evolution, can't.
>>
>>29255075
How do you do, ma'am.
The problem isn't the head compared to the body, it's the proportions of the head by itself. It's deformed and weird and has difficulty passing through the birth canal because of its weird shape. Not because it's bigger.

>>29255123
Maybe it's not funny at all

>>29255135
No stop insisting on this. For what >>29255006
said, we already have Purugly. Persian is just a wrong design.
>>
>>29255006
If I were to shit on a plate and give it to you for lunch, and tried to defend myself by saying "it's SUPPOSED to be shit on a plate," I don't think you'd be so understanding.

>>29255123
> Stop taking things so seriously, it's a video game
Do you think nobody's said this to us before? Fuck off back to facebook. Or wherever you came from.
>>
>>29255078
Got a better theory besides "garfield"?
>>
File: Hypernova.jpg (293KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
Hypernova.jpg
293KB, 560x560px
>>29254458
>>
>>29255164
You might not find it funny which is fine if you're insistent on being a downer but I think it's funny

>>29255165
haha yikes
>>
>>29255165
I'm not denying it's shit, I think that's fairly clear. I'm saying it's clever shit compared to other shits.
>>
>>29255158
>WHY
Because it's not an animal that actually exists. It's a caricature based on a caricature. Quite simple really.
>WHY Persian can't be silly
You're asking the wrong question. Persian is a rare panther only kings have. Alolan Persian is god knows what. There's not caricature involved when you just take a head and enlarge it on a photoshop. There's not real point on it. It's just off.

>>29255195
There is no other theory. It's just a poorly thought out design.
>>
>>29255237
"lol xd randomb" might be funny when you're 6. It's not funny when you're 10 or 12 which is to whom this game is made to. It's plain sad when you're 18+.
>>
>>29255164
>we already have Purugly
So? That hasn't stopped them from repeating other kinds of animals. This design is specifically focusing on the genetic defects from domestication aspect since weh ave the original persian for comparison. Purugly was just a persian as a rich pet in general. The aspects of a persian the designs want to focus on are totally different. Hence why Purugly's face isn't really abnormally goofy looking even though it's based on the same kind of animal with a goofy face. That wasn't the focus on the concept of a persian they were going for with it.
>>
It was clearly bred for ideal traits as an Alolan Meowth without any consideration for its adult form... This is just the result, a goofy looking adult cat

Sorry that it's Alolan redesign isn't just droopy eyes I guess?
>>
>>29255357
Why do you think that? I have no concerns about embracing some childish humour. I am, after all, playing Pokemon.
>>
AH, LOOKIT THE TOP OF HIS HEAAAD!!!
>>
>>29251625
Am I the only one that likes Clampearl and it's evos? Sure I've never used them but the designs are solid.
>>
>>29255360
>repeating other kinds of animals
But it's not another kind of animal. It's specifically the kind of "clever" portrayal/caricature of a specific attitude towards domestic cats.
I seriously doubt they would repeat that. And I seriously doubt that's the point of this design. I'm more willing to believe it's some sort of weird japanese reference, like cats with big heads have to do with kings and darkness or something obscure like that.

>>29255402
Because "random" humor isn't really humor. I don't know what else to tell you. "Read a book" is what I feel is the appropriate response to your comment, but I don't want to be rude.
>>
>>29255164
http://www.ufaw.org.uk/dogs/english-bulldog-dystocia

>Birth problems are common in English bulldogs due to the puppies having relatively large heads due to brachycephaly (abnormal head shape) and the bitches having relatively narrow pelvises

I mean yes, the size is a deformation but come on, really? Are you really going to insist on this not having to do with the size of the head, Mr. "vet"?
>>
>>29253527
Hey fellow Lovely.
>>
File: 1475181590317.jpg (22KB, 280x261px) Image search: [Google]
1475181590317.jpg
22KB, 280x261px
>>29254458
>thought it was a meme at first
>mfw it turned out to be real
I love it
>>
Where and how do you find Alolan Dugtrio in the demo?
>>
>>29255510
I don't know why humour has to be some lofty goal
if it makes me laugh or leaves an impression, why shouldn't I like it?
not only are you taking pokemon too seriously, but you might be taking yourself too seriously as well
>>
>>29255515
I never claimed it had nothing to do with size. But it literally has zero to do with Persian's case, is my point. That's literally not a thing by itself (size) EVER, much less on cats, much less as a symbol of consanguinity. A better example would be deformed jaws (or chins for humans).
Anyway, bulldogs weren't selected for "big heads", they were selected for big bites, and later for a more "human" appearance with a backed nose. A big, disproportionate head (as in, with a weird shape) is common but not really the point of the breed, nor what the kennels defend.
>>
>>29254906

>You think people with giant acquired head deformities just walk around like its nothing?

Nope, but unlike humans you can prevent meowth from evolving and acquiring said deformity (genes for it is still there obviously). Which again is what it is being breed for, that being the smug aloa meowth and not the big headed aloa persian.
>>
>>29255510
What the fuck are you talking about? There are multiple hawks, there are multiple wolves. Why can't there be multiple persians, especially when you can focus on different aspects of the animal? I don't understand your first sentence at fucking all. There had to be a miscommunication because it makes no sense. Your criticism was that they already made a persian with Purugly. I'm saying who gives a shit when they made multiples of other animals, even specific kinds? there being another of an animal is not a criticism. It's not even an issue of creativity since it's not like having two of a specific kind of animal means that they are "based" on each other in any way. It can be presumed that both designs start from 0. It's not like Purugly existing means it made Alolan Persian easier to design.

Both are domesticated cats. However, the aspect of the domesticated cats they are focused on is different. Purugly is that stereotypical rich fat cat. That's the focus of the design. It is a persian because that's the iconic kind of rich fat cat. Alolan Persian has a persian face because the aspect of the domesticated cat it's focused on are genetic defects from breeding. It's a rich cat, but it has a persian face because thats a prominent example of that sort of defect in a domesticated cat.
>>
>>29251625
>Rotom
Fuck you.
>>
>>29251625
I like keldeo, fuck you
>>
>>29255660
"what if there were ten cowboys but with helicopters instead of horses"
"what if there were parrots with watermelons for wings"
"what if there was a pirate with ten legs"
Dude this is make belief, it's a primordial baby like thing, it's not humor. Stop talking so presumptuously like it's "just about having fun" or whatever. It's just plain stupid.
>>
>>29250680
>work for john gamefreak
>"design the evolution for alolan meowth!" he said
>why? I never wanted any of this, the pressure is to much
>deadline tomorrow
>start panicking, down a sixpack and half a bottle Jagermeister
>Shit I haven't drunk since highschool
>Wake up at 11:45, boss wants the design in-boxed by 12:00
>SHIT SHIT SHIT
>Open regular Persian pic in paint, make it alolan Meowth colored
>THIS ISNT ENOUGH
>Erase head with erase tool
>11:50 WHAT NOW
>Draw a fucking circle, it needs whiskers and ears it's a fucking cat right, fuck almost forgot that round orb thing persian has on his head, a blue dot does well enough doesn't it?
>Mail reaches John 11:59
>Go to office later that day, meet Clark in the hallway
>He looks kinda sozzled and do I smell alkohol
>If I remember correctly he was in charge of the Dugtrio model
>>
>>29252474
but that's a great design
>>
I don't mind Dugtrio (looks rad as fuck) but Persian doesn't even look like itself, what in the fuck. That's basically a new Pokemon.
>>
>>29255835
What? It's literally a grey persian with a fat head.
>>
>>29251625
Spinda and Rotomu can stay
>>
>>29255739
>Why can't there be multiple persians, especially when you can focus on different aspects of the animal?
Your whole point is that alolan persian is supposed to look like a rare cat breed that's so overbred it looks ugly and deformed.
For that we have Purugly.
Then you mention it's "just based on a cat, why can't we have more cats". So I say "it's not """just a cat""", it's a specific caricature that Purugly already does". Now you're saying all kinds of shit to justify the fact that, just like me, you have no idea what the fuck alolan persian is about and are just fetching for answers out of thin air.
>>
>>29253270
It doesn't change the reality that it's a bad design.
>>
>>29253270
That's literally not a joke
>>
>>29255698
> y-you can prevent meowth from evolving, so it's okay if persian looks bad!
If I were to take a shit on the floor of the bus, and I told everyone "it's okay, you can just walk," they wouldn't be any less angry.
>>
>>29254517
no..no they can't be that dumb
>>
File: face soul contrast.jpg (92KB, 1060x404px) Image search: [Google]
face soul contrast.jpg
92KB, 1060x404px
>>29255804
It's funny because it's true.
>>
>>29255873
>For that we have Purugly.
No, Purugly is a fat spoiled cat. That's the concept it's meant to convey. Persians are the stereotypical rich fat cat so that's what it's based on. But the concept the design is meant to portray isn't that it's deformed. Purugly's face doesn't look deformed. It's very simplified and strictly speaking it does have a flat face like a persian since that IS what it is. But you can tell that when they designed the face, for example, the purpose wasn't to convey that "something is unusual and wrong here". And conveying that works especially well for Alolan Persian because we have a what a Persian is "supposed" to look like, and we have the selectively bred Alolan form to contrast.

I'm not "fetching answers" out of thin air. I'm using my fucking brain and critical thinking. I'm not going "SHIT THIS DESIGN IS SO FUCKING STUPID AND POINTLESS" because they haven't explicitly explained what it's supposed to be yet. We know that Alolan Meowth's main gimmick is that it was selectively inbred by nobility. A natural end result of that is that it grows up deformed. It's a fucking totally logical flow. It isn't like I'm grasping at straws.
>>
>>29255496
I love 'em.
>>
>>29250915
>Uh? Yes it is. Cool just means fresh and overall nice
Erm, no. Cool is a temperature. The idea of something being otherwise 'cool' refers to an aloofness, like not giving a fuck at all. That's what cool means in that sense. It doesn't mean anything outside of that.

Anyway, a design is only bad if it doesn't effectively communicate its idea.
I don't know why Dugtrio are the Bee Gees in Alola, but that isn't necessarily indicative of good or bad design and the word 'cool' is completely unrelated to any such discussion.

Why can't anyone on 4chan stick to using words they understand? It's like every thread is 50% words being misused.
>>
>>29255925
No it actually literally is a joke.
>>
>>29255793
uh alright dude i'll do my best
>>
>>29256019
>No, Purugly is
How does this exclude it, exactly? It's pretty fucking close to what you're saying.
>Purugly's face doesn't look deformed.
Too many people will disagree with you. Just google "top ugliest pokemon designs" and read the explanations for why Purugly is always on the top 3. I mean, it's called PurUGLY for a reason.
>>
>not liking alolan dugtrio

fucking autistic
>>
>>29256059
Cool to me just means "nice". It doesn't mean anything outside of that.
>>
>>29256168
>>No, Purugly is
>How does this exclude it, exactly? It's pretty fucking close to what you're saying.
What the fuck are you talking about?

Also it's ugly because it's a fucking fat cat and also what it's based on is an "ugly" cat. But it's face is just a cartoon cat face. Compare Garfield or Heathcliff or whatever. You can tell the difference in intention because of people throwing a shitfit over Alolan Persians face. The face was clearly meant to convey some sort of defect because it looks so off. Purugly's face doesn't look off for its own design because conveying the deformity was not it's purpose.
>>
>>29256019
(Not him.) Even if that is what it's supposed to be, and even if it is logical that it would look this way, the fact of the matter is that it's still a half-assed, unfathomably ugly piece of shit. No amount of backstory can change that goddamned elliptical head.

>>29251625
> Volbeat through Azelf
I like every single one of those. Recently used a Spinda, and planning to use Volbeat and Illumise soon.
> Shaymin, Manaphy
I like those, too.
> not mentioning the grumpy old men in clouds
> not mentioning bert and ernie
> not mentioning Lickilicky
Grab the bleach, man.
>>
>>29255957

The problem with that retort is the bus in question (i.e. aloa meowth) would never reach the state in which your shit (i.e aloa persian) is on the floor because it was prevented from picking you up (i.e. evolving).

So from the breeders perspective it is okay.
>>
>>29256234
>Cool to me just means
Well you're not the grand king of definitions and don't get to arbitrarily reclassify words just because you're too lazy to speak English properly.

Fun fact: the only people I know who start saying "[...] to me [...]" are 4chan drones. Is overbearing self-importance and aversion to criticism and proper discussion a symptom of being dependent on 4chan as a stand-in for a lack of personality? I know it is in the case of 2 or 3 people I know in real life, but if it's a bigger problem I might be able to blag out a research grant with it.
>>
It just occurred to me. Meowth starts off as a goofy alleyway type thing then evolves into the regal Persian. Alolan Meowth starts off as meowth but with a smug high class appearance and backstory. Then evolves into alolan persian with a goofy face. I wonder if that was intentional.
>>
>>29251210
If we've seen it in battle, do we know it's type?
>>
All I can think about while reading this is
>Thank god Pokemon are born from eggs
>>
>>29250680

>people in this very place unironically dislike super saiyan dugtrio

I mean I knew vp had an underage problem but Jesus... is anyone here over 16?
>>
>>29256414

I doubt it, the intention may have been to have said well off aloa meowth turn into a less than physically "fit" persian.

Except the forgot the part about decent design like they did with purugly.
>>
>>29252902
Been with the franchise since Gen 1, and even I accept that Dugtrio isn't quite one of GF's crown achievements, but at least it looks like what it's partially inspired by (a whack-a-mole). I personally find the singing trio look to be hilarious, and using the fact Dugtrio has three heads is the only way that it works. I mean, the Diglett line has inspired so many memes as it is, so why not? Although the memes usually involve its mysterious lower body. What's important is that kids are entertained and they're likely to find Alola Digtrio funny af. Most of us adults just can't seem to wrap our heads around it.
>>
>>29253270
Whoa.
>>
>>29254906
>Ffs
End your life
>>
>>29257246
no u
>>
>>29250680
Alolan dugtrio watched a grisly triple rape and was moved to alola as part of the witness protection program
>>
>>29257029
>What's important is that kids are entertained and they're likely to find Alola Digtrio funny af
>Most of us adults just can't seem to wrap our heads around it
I don't quite follow, the allusion to Disco music (which would have played in arcades when whack-a-mole was still a popular game) is aimed specifically at older players.

Unless you're some lad recently turned 18 who thinks himself 'a mature adult' then I can't really take you seriously, mate. It's literally a joke for the old guys.

Also, Persian is obviously a nod to exotic shorthair cats and how domestication and thorough-breeding creates rather ugly animals.
The Alolan forms have all had cool, cultural evolutionary reasons which I'm totally hyped about since I'm really into memetics.
>>
GameFreak realized that the more retarded they make a design look, the more people pretend to like it out of "irony".
>>
>>29250731
>the dugtrio is lazy but the persian is not

they literally just replaced persian's head with a sphere and kept the realistic body, it'd be one thing if they changed the body to match but it looks awful.
>>
>>29250680
A-Persian I actually get. So far, all the Alolan Dark pokemon share the common theme of ending up the way they did because of human interaction. A-Raticate line lives in cities and feed on human food. A-Muk line eat human garbage. A-Persian is originally a royal family housecat turned feral.

I have no idea what to make of Alolan Dugtrio though. Shit's goofy as hell, but in a rather hysterical way.
>yfw it's a Ground/Normal type
>>
>>29254517
I hope this happens, if only for fanart of all the not dragon type dragons wearing fabulous wigs to try to become dragon type
Thread posts: 163
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.