[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can you tell me about competitive Pokémon in the first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 7

File: old-timey heavyweights.png (545KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
old-timey heavyweights.png
545KB, 720x540px
What can you tell me about competitive Pokémon in the first two generations, before abilities, natures and the new IV/EV system ruined everything?
>>
it was a lot worse
>>
>>29137480
>Gen 1
DUDE PSYCHICS LOL

>Gen 2
DUDE CURSE LOL
>>
>>29137534
Don't just tell me "it was a lot worse".

If it was actually worse, tell me why.
>>
remove yourself mr.genwun
>>
Gen1: Pretty much using anything that was fast to always get crits, Wrap and Hyper Beam

Gen2: Sleep stalling was a thing i think?
>>
>>29137480
Curse Snorlax is gen 2
>>
>>29137562
>pls spoonfeed xD
fuck off and do your own research
>>
>>29137556
this
>>
>>29137563
Is it still genwunning if he explicitly includes Gen 2?
>>
>>29137570
Oh, and OP Psychics for Gen1, duh.
>>
Wobuffet vs. Wobuffet
>>
>>29137592
Yes, also
>natures and the new IV/EV system ruined everything
>>
>>29137556
>>29137576
Curse on Snorlax is the safety first approach. If you're actually a good player, you run Belly Drum.
>>
>>29137562
no abilities, no natures, and the no EVs/IVs
>>
>>29137480
>ruined

nigger if you knew what competitive was like in the first two gens you'd be just as happy that system was wiped out.

Gen 1 was absolute dogshit during gen 1, but after gen 2 came out and people started figuring out gen 1 it became fun again.

Tauros was the top tier sweeper, every team had Tauros and Chansey. Hyper beam had no recharge if you killed something with it so it was spammed on Tauros, just about the only things he couldn't kill with it were Rhydon, Gengar and Golem and he'd kill them with surf or EQ. Explosion was OP as fuck, every match was basically about using explosion to kill an important pokemon like Tauros, Alakazam or Chansey on the opposing team, and using a Rhydon, Golem or Gengar to absorb your opponent's explosion. Chansey was super busted because of Special being one stat, it was actually not bad offensively in addition to being the only thing that could really deal with psychic spam. Starmie and Exeggutor were pretty popular due to their psychic typing as well.

Gen 2 was the stall generation, it's when they added skarmbliss. Gen 2 was all about Snorlax, Slowbro, Skarmbliss and other defensive pokemon basically outlasting your opponent. Wallbreakers were very limited and most of the offensive pokemon that were used also had high defenses, for example HP Bug Marowak. Alakazam and some of the psychics were still popular because literally all of the dark types were dogshit anyways and the new bugs they added still didn't really deal with psychic types well. But literally nothing short of god tier prediction could bring down a stall team. 500 turn battles were not unheard of.
>>
>>29137480
>Gen 1
Fast sleep, ParaWrap, Psychic types were gods. Horrendously broken meta

>Gen 2
Most horrid stall meta of all time. Also Curse
>>
Gen I: Tauros, multiple psychics in each team, one of Rhydon/Golem and space for something different like Chansey/Gengar. Hyper Beam. Speed for crits.

Gen II: Snorlax used curse
>>
>>29137480
Gen 1: Psychics had basically no counter.
You ran basically everything that was stupidly fucking fast and you prayed you crit. You often ran into people just stalling you to death with Fire Spin/Wrap that you can't do anything about. Amnesia is the best stat move.
Gen 2: Curselax.
Early gen 5 was the worst of everything because MUH WEATHER was all the meta was.
>>
>>29137480
Tauros everywhere in gen 1. I know that much.
>>
>>29137480
Lotta snorlaxes and mews.

Mewtwo.
>>
>>29137620
That was gen 3. Wobbsy didn't have shadow tag in gen 2 and as such it was a complete shitmon.
>>
>>29137480
Gen 1:
Everything spammed Body Slam or Thunder Wave to paralyze. Once things were paralyzed, they either spammed Stab Psychic, or Hyper Beam with that delicious recharge turn revomed if you got a KO.
Alakazam and Tauros were the two big names.Persian, Starmie, Gengar, and your choice of Rhydon or Golem were also quite common.

Gen 2 was the dawn of Curselax. Nothing could break Curselax, except Midreavus with Mean Look+Perish Song. Gen 2 was by far the stalliest meta.

Also, Female pokemon were literally inferior. They couldn't get max IVs.
>>
>>29137480
>new IV/EV system
EV and IVs have been around since gen 1
The system was changed to a better less retarded 1
>>
It was worse.
Before the IV/EV system everything was bulky so OHKOing something without a boost or a crit was almost impossible.
>>
>>29137556
I'd say gen 1 was more DUDE HYPER BEAM LOL or DUDE WRAP LOL
>>
>>29137480
GEN 2 was Stall Heavy as fuck. The only item used was Leftovers. It is a Smogon Haters worst nightmare.
>>
>>29137644
Parawrap was never super popular compared to the staple Tauros+Chansey+rock type+ 3 psychic type teams. It was really fucking stupid though. So was the way sleeping worked, though setup sweepers weren't really a thing in gen 1 so it was harder to take advantage of it.
>>
>>29137653
That's right, my apologies.

>>29137706
Gen 1: DUDE HYPER BEAM LOL
Gen 2: DUDE CURSELAX LOL
Gen 3: DUDE WOBB VS. WOBB LOL
Gen 4: no idea (normalcy?)
Gen 5: DUDE WEATHER LOL
Gen 6: DUDE MEGAS AND TALONFLAME LOL
>>
>>29137556
This is fun, let's continue

>Gen 3
DUDE ??? LOL

>Gen 4
DUDE SNEAKY STONES LOL

>Gen 5
DUDE WEATHER LOL

>Gen 6
DUDE GENIES LOL

>Gen 7
DUDE ??? LOL
>>
The only thing that really sucks about the new EV, IV system with natures and all that is that it ruins in game runs. I can't see a mon I caught without thinking that I'm going to have to box it later.
>>
And I guess Gen 7 will be: DUDE FUCK YOUR GEN 6 META LOL
>>
>>29137795
gen 4: DUDE GARCHOMP LMAO
>>
>>29137802
I hope gen 7 won't be infested with the arceus clone
>>
>>29137824
And DUDE STEALTH ROCK LOL
That's right...the introduction of the pebbles.
>>
>>29137819
DVs already fucked that over in gen 2 and in a less transparent way.

I wish DVs/IVs were just removed as a mechanic in general, there's pretty much no customization decision being made in IV spreads unless you're using hidden power, in 99% of cases it's just if your pokemon is less than 5 perfect just throw that fucker in the trash because it's never going to be powerful, or you're gonna have to grind it to lv100 to train those missing IVs.
>>
>>29137677
>Female pokemon were literally inferior
Only with regards to attack. Pure special attackers were equal (if anything, a low attack DV results in very slightly less confusion damage).
>>
>>29137861
They nerfed HP anyways, so it's always a BP of 70 regardless. Still don't know how they're going to make HP-Fairy.
>>
>>29137802
With Eevee I am legitimately predicting gen 7 will be DUDE BATON PASS LOL

Hell that was almost gen 6 if VGC wasn't the standard
>>
>>29137856
Smogon stones were only a major thing in singles, doubles became the official competitive format in late gen 3 or early gen 4 IIRC.

Garchomp was literally everywhere in every meta though, even after smogon banned him to ubers he was like top 10 in ubers usage.
>>
Ranking the quality of the metas:

Gen 4>Gen 3>Gen 6>Gen 5>Gen 1>Gen 2
>>
>>29137861
I know that stuff existed in Gen 1 and 2, but it wasn't as bad. You didn't have to worry about the difference between Huge Power Adamant Azumarill or Thick Fat Timid Azumarill. Plus you just got your EVs by playing normally instead of getting an asston of speed EVs on a really slow mon or something similar.
>>
gen 2 brought skarmbliss
>>
>>29137892
Gen 6 6v6 already would be DUDE BATON PASS LMAO if Smogon didn't ban speed passing. Some guy had a team with a ~70% winrate on showdown with 6 baton passers.
>>
>>29137892
>actually thinks Eevee's Z-move will significantly impact the meta
>>
>>29137900
I can mostly agree with this. I'd switch 5 and six though. Weather wars were bad, but gen 6 is so spammy that it kinda hurts.
>>
>>29137795
Actually, the Normalcy was in Gen 1, when Tauros, Chansey and Snorlax reigned supreme.

Some will say Psychic-types were the most dominant, but they are wrong.
>>
>>29137900
Pretty much correct. The Platinum tutors are what ended up sending the meta into a powercreep spiral though, unfortunately.
>>
>>29137900
>being this wrong
Gen 2 was and still is the most interesting meta. It's the only one where actual playing skill matters more than luck and/or teambuilding.
>>
>>29137933
Snorlax kind of came later. I agree though that Tauros/Chansey were the single two most dominant pokemon in the game though.

Fun trivia fact: The first major Nintendo event for Pokemon Stadium was won by a guy who used 6 Chansey. That's how we got species clause.
>>
>>29137969
>being a stallfag is "skill"

I hate this meme.
>>
>>29137969
Yes but this interesting and skill based meta plays itself out over hundreds of turns. Smogonfags say the same shit about their garbage stall meta where battles can take five hours.
>>
>>29137933
A good half of most people's team would contain Psychic types

Mewtwo is probably the single strongest mon of any gen until mega Fug and is a psychic type.

It is a lie to say the psychic type was anything other than gods in gen 1.

The type was so godly that they had to introduce 2 new types to resist it the very next gen
>>
>>29137969
>It's the only one where actual playing skill matters more than luck and/or teambuilding.
>Implying the most common strategy wasn't to set up Curslax and pray that you crit first
>>
>>29137989
Do you mean "later" as in "Gen 2" or "when people learned that Snorlax was good"?

Snorlax is arguably the #3 in Gen 1, after Tauros and Chansey. Exeggutor is another strong contender for that spot.
>>
>>29138035
>what is Whirlwind/Roar
Good players can deal with Curselax.
>>
File: hotel-dusk-on-the-phone.jpg (40KB, 408x272px) Image search: [Google]
hotel-dusk-on-the-phone.jpg
40KB, 408x272px
Where is all this mis information about IVs and EVs coming from lol

There were IVs and EVs in gen 1-2. Evs gained were calculated by the bst of the defeated mon. Also IVs worked on a scale of 0-15. EVs were unlimited in gen 1-2.

Gen 1 meta is all about sleep/paralysis and quick normal type pokemon. Coverage was important too, pokemon like tauros and persian ran blizzard and bubblebeam for coverage even though they didnt benefit from stab and came from fairly low special stats. You either lead with a sleeper like jynx or eggy or an anti sleeper.
>>
>>29137924
I don't know what will but I sure as fuck won't listen to /vp/ when it comes to what will or won't work.
>>
>>29137639
>Hyper Beam had no recharge
True, but every official competition after 1997 used international Stadium as the battle method of choice. Hyper Beam was fixed in that game.
>>
>>29138033
Those years when Tyranitar was god send when you were tired about those fuckings mewtwo and alakazams
>>
>>29138053
Snorlax was okay, but not great until gen 2 gave it Curse. Genwun Snorlax was never relevant. If it was, Parasect would have also been more relevant, since Parasect hard countered anything slower than it (Snorlax and Slowbro, mainly)
>>
>>29137578
Look at this dickhead
>>
>>29137802
gen 6.5 is dude primals lmao
>>
File: wat.jpg (37KB, 442x933px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
37KB, 442x933px
>>29138240
>Genwun Snorlax was never relevant

It was one of the absolute best things in the game. Massive bulk, stronger than Tauros, very unpredictable, can go toe-to-toe with anything. Parasect was never good.
>>
I hope the ability shakeups in sun/moon make things interesting. I'm so sick of megas/primals
>>
>>29138127
252+ Atk Eevee Explosion vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 271-319 (75.9 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

>You send out Eevee
>Opponent sends out Lagging Tail Garchomp, so Eevee goes first
>Eevee uses its 250 BP Z-move
>Garchomp has 25% left minimum.
>Garchomp OHKOs with Earthquake

Eevee will be irrelevant for the same reason Light Ball Pika is. It may hit surprisingly hard, but it is retardedly frail and slow.
>>
File: 1476416382237.gif (1MB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1476416382237.gif
1MB, 540x540px
>>29138240
>>29138346
Parasect with base 15 leech life? Yeah totally comparable to Snorlax's body slam/hyper beam.
>>
>>29138195
>Mewtwo used Submission!
>>
>>29138388
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>29138291
Fuck you leatherman
>>
>>29137480
tauros intensifies
>>
File: wojack.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
wojack.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>>29138346
>Parasect was never good
Can we stop bringing this up, it's kinda trivial
>>
>>29138388

Thank you for proving why I'm right to never listen to /vp/ when it comes to these things.
>>
>>29137480
BLISSKARM
BLISSKARM EVERYWHERE
Also nothing ever dies in one hit, and everythinc carries Rest. Then they switch to Blissey, and use Heal Bell.
>Turn 485759874932
>>
>>29138402
>Permaspore
>>
>>29138069
>what is Whirlwind/Roar
Useless when that thing was the last pokemon left. Also useless vs Lovely Kiss Snorlax
Gen2 was complete garbage competitively and took 0 skill.
>>
>>29138053
I mean towards the end of gen 1 was when it started picking up in usage, and after gen 2 came out and people were still playing gen 1.

In the modern gen 1 simulator meta it's really popular of course.
>>
>>29138069
>Switching in your Whirlwind/Roar user
>Surviving +6 Stab Return
>>
>>29137480
Gen 1 pretty well summarized
http://nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/1391-a-history-of-japanese-competitive-pokemon-1996-and-1997/
>>
>>29138723
Skarmory will do that, with relative ease.
>>
>>29137677
>Also, Female pokemon were literally inferior. They couldn't get max IVs.
And shinies were even worse. That was funny as fuck too.
Speaking of IVs, another fun thing was Marowak - if yours had maximum attack IVs, it was holding a Thick Club (as all of them do) and it used Swords Dance, its attack stat overflowed and became 3 instead of 999. Oops.

I still miss the fuck out of NetBattle though.
>>
>>29137480

Gen 1 was Psychics and Normals: The Meta, where the special stat was broken, and it was filled with body slam spam and hyper beam spam because hyper beam ignored the recharge turn if it got a KO. Normals were OP because only one type was resistant to it and only one pokemon was immune to it, not to mention Fighting types were trash tier, with the only reliable fighting move was fucking Submission of all moves.

Psychics were OP because the only viable bug type was Jolteon, and Jolteon had a shit attack stat. Not to mention that Psychic being immune to ghost was a bug, and that Psychic only resisted itself and had a 30% chance to lower special.

Gen 2 was Stall: The Meta because EVs (DVs) could be applied to all stats, instead of a the 512 EVs gen 3+ had. With every mon being bulky as shit, and with the release of Leftovers and Curse, no one was getting OKHO'd outside of a critical hit.It would have been tons better if they simply banned Snorax but they had the "LOL ONLY LEGENDARIES DESERVE TO BE BANNED" mentality.
>>
>>29138640
Skarmbliss isn't even good in GSC
>>
>>29137802

Gen 4 was definitely DUDE, DRAGONS! LMAO!

Pretty much any dragon that was any of gen 4's tears dominated said tier.

Gen 3 was surely DUDE, MIXED SWEEPERS LMAO!
>>
>>29138240
>>29138240
>Genwun Snorlax was never relevant

>Snorlax is one of the most dominant and dangerous Pokemon in OU. Despite having the lowest Speed in RBY, only tied with Slowbro, Snorlax has one of the best stat distributions in the game, which, along with his powerful attacking options, lets Snorlax go one-on-one against almost every Pokemon in the game if he wants to. Add STAB Self-Destruct to the mix, and Snorlax will often be able to net you two kills. Snorlax is especially useful for capitalizing on a paralyzed Chansey and is one of the main reasons you might want to paralyze Chansey rather than go for the freeze in the first place. Snorlax is also the most versatile Pokemon in RBY due to its ability to use unexpected moves such as Rest, Reflect, Amnesia, and Counter effectively. Snorlax is so good that he is often a brainless addition when making a RBY OU team.

it's funny when kids try to talk about shit they have no clue on.
>>
lots of videos on youtube op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEW5igXh3xc
>>
>>29137562
Gen 1 is an RNG based clusterfuck. Most games come down to maximizing the chance for you to hax your opponent and minimizing opportunities for your opponent to hax you while still trying to make competent gameplay decisions. Countless games come down to speed ties, tbolt paras, ice beam/blizzard permanent freezes, and trying to play the speed-based crit system in highly in your favor as possible. It's an absolute joke of a competitive format, legitimately the worst Pokemon has ever had.

Gen 2 was a pretty good meta from a competitive skill standpoint (the better player would almost always win, minus stuff like Explosion critting a Skarm or Steelix). However to achieve this came at a gargantuan cost: the meta is extremely slow paced, and how slow it is... is, well, very inconsistent. Teams varied from fairly to extremely defensive, and depending on how these matched up games would vary between 50 and 2000 (yes, two THOUSAND) turns. This snoozefest of a stall meta is why its very unpopular, even if its not inherently bad from a competitive standpoint.

>>29138346
Snorlax really wasn't that bulky in Gen 1. High HP but piss defenses.
>>
>>29139215
So the two are basically crazy eights and chess, respectively?
>>
>>29139300
Gen 2 could be pretty comparable to Chess, but Gen 1 would be more like playing hot potato with a landmine.
>>
>>29139300
>>29139416
Gen 1: Crazy 8's where you can punch someone in the wrist
Gen 2: Chess where getting a Pawn to the other end not only gets you a piece back, but it also replaces the pawn on your side
>>
>>29139484
...you don't know anything about chess, do you?
>>
>>29139539
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgeYScYe8wI

Not really.
>>
Was dodrio good in any of the gens?
>>
>>29139613
It was surprisingly similar to Tauros in Gen 1, except Rhydon and Golem walled it to hell and back, so it wasn't viable.
>>
>>29139613
Best bird in gen 1.
>>
File: 145.jpg (14KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
145.jpg
14KB, 220x220px
>>29139671
Say it again. I dare you.
>>
>>29139715
>not Articuno
Just don't reply if you don't understand the metagame
>>
>>29139651
Yup, people meme on Tauros as if hyper beam and body slam were all that it did, but Tauros was a cut above most other physical sweepers because it had access to coverage moves like surf.

Persian only had bubblebeam, but due to speed and crit mechanics in gen 1 it would almost always crit if you maxed the speed stat XP. Dugtrio was also kind of viable but his lack of bulk was an issue in gen 1 back when every pokemon was much bulkier due to stat xp.

>>29139081
This is post-facto though. During the actual 1997-1999 era when people played gen1 games competitively Snorlax wasn't as mainstream. It wasn't until the gen 2 era that people went back and realized that he was indeed retardedly good in gen 1 as well.

Smogon gen 1 OU isn't really how gen 1 was played back in the day, it's much more refined.
>>
>>29138924
Skarmbliss wasn't as big of a thing in GSC but both Skarmory and Blissey were meta pokemon, though they weren't the defensive core they were in gen 3 and certainly not what they were in gen 4 when Skarmory got reliable recovery.
>>
>>29139896
Tauros didn't have Surf in Gen 1.

It doesn't actually matter, because Blizzard was better.
>>
>>29139896

The point still stands. Anon stated that "Genwun Snorlax was never relevant" and I proved him wrong.
>>
So is this why Ash caught heaps of Tauros?
>>
>>29137795
>People actually have trouble with talonflame
Is this a meme? Every time i go against a talonflame i kick their ass.
>>
>>29139944
gen 1 is probably the most retarded metagame to remember correctly because of the fact that you could teach otherwise illegal moves to gen 1 pokemon in GSC then back transfer them. I can never remember the proper pre-GSC movepools.

But yeah 90acc blizzard was what it always ran. That's also why Articuno > Zapdos in gen 1.
>>
>>29139998
>180 BP (counting STAB) priority move
>actually has a decently useful movepool other than that
Yeah, I guess it's a meme too
>>
>>29140008
You have no idea what you're talking about. Zapdos is vastly superior to Articuno.
>>
>>29140042
>Run literally anything with a focus sash
>Win
Its not hard at all. It even takes out a third of its health on the first turn for you. If you cant kill it by that point then dont run shitmon on your team.
>>
>>29140046
Completely countered by Golem and Rhydon.
>>
>>29140073
>something used pebbles
>sash is now useless

Great job. Also it has Will-o-Wisp to ruin physical attackers.
>>
>>29140126
>Open with focus sash user
>Make sure its a special attacker
>Win
Gee that was fucking hard. If i can 3-0 with a fucking chatot you can stop being so bad at the game.
>>
>>29140073
>letting one of your Pokemon die, then letting a second one fall to 1 HP to kill one thing the opponent has is a good strategy
>which doesn't even work most of the time because incognito geodes
>>
>>29140104
Well, Articuno is completely walled by Chansey, Cloyster and especially Lapras, and doesn't like facing Starmie.
>>
>>29140155
>opening the match with priority bird
>>
>>29140155
>Open with Sash
>Talonflame used U-Turn!
>>
>>29140073
>>29140042

Your both idiots.

Talonflame is a strong Pokemon but one with a fairly good amount of checks and counters. It struggles to to break past a lot of Pokemon that resist it STAB and quickly wears itself down due to Rocks and Recoil. Things like Focus Sashers are incredibly poor answers to Talon, while options like Tyranitar, Rotom-W, and Heatran are good counters where a lot of bulky Pokemon that arent weak to Fire or Flying are good checks.

>>29140008
Literally retarded. Zapdos is so good that Rhydon and Golem are mandory in Gen 1 just to counter it. Articuno is passable but for the most part it was better to either skip the STAB on it and run an inherently stronger Pokemon with Blizzard, or to just run Jynx since it's part Psychic and learns Lovely Kiss.
>>
>>29139992
Lmao
>>
>>29139928
Yeah I know, that's why skarmbliss doesn't define the 2nd generation

It was just mostly skarmory that was good.
>>
>>29140126
People dont use entry hazards in doubles. Go back to smogon an play your boring singles on your autistic battle sim
>>
>>29137480
OU the Team: Exeggutor, Snorlax, Tauros, Chansey, Rhydon, Dragonite.

Snorlax dominated.
Dragonite with Agility, T-wave, and Wrap was basically infuriating to battle.
Exeggutor was extremely versatile.
Tauros was stronk.
Chansey a wall.
Rhydon hit hard.

Hyper Beam shenanigans happened a lot. A real lot.
Persian was viable because speed determined crit. Basically, with Persian, Slash = Crit.

The type chart was a mess. Glitches were all too common too.

This is all gen one. I didn't do much competitive during 2.
>>
>>29140300
Thank god some people on vp have some cognitive skill
>>
>>29140359
>Sasher in doubles

Its not trash, but between item clause and spread hit moves, you're gunna have a hard time keeping your one sasher alive long enough to kill Talon.
>>
>>29140412
Throw out Dragonite for Alakazam/Starmie, and put a Golem slash on Rhydon, and I will agree with you.
>>
>>29140441
Alakazam and Starmie were definitely good/up there as far as use goes too.

Dragonite was definitely a viable thing. Especially with boosted evasion. If you didn't get an Ice Beam or something off on it quick, it could sweep teams.
>>
>>29137480

It was rock/paper/scissors on a more literal level. Psychic trump'd everything, and only a select few Pokemon were broken enough to justify actually using (NidoKing; Alakazam; Dragonite; Mewtwo).
>>
>>29137989

Is there a video of that?
>>
>>29140441
Wrap Dragonite was actually a legit threat.
>>
>>29140412
If we wanted a SERIOUS OU:The Team for Gen 1 it'd be

Zapdos
Exeggutor/Starmie
Tauros/Snorlax
Chansey/Snorlax
Rhydon/Golem
Filler

There was a LOT of viable options for that last slot, including any Pokemon you didn't pick in the first 5 slots. Alakazam, Gengar, Jynx, Slowbro, Dragonite, Persian, and another dozen or so relatively viable mons.
>>
>>29140595
Rhydon and Golem fill the same role.
Egg and Starmie do not.
Tauros and Snorlax do not.
Chansey and Snorlax do not.

Tauros
Chansey
Snorlax
Exeggutor
Alakazam/Starmie
Rhydon/Golem

Many other things are viable, like >>29140595 states in the second half of his post.
>>
>>29137480
Lemme go over gen 1 OU and why each pokemon is OU, that might paint a good picture of the tier.

For a briefer, to remind you, mechanics in gen 1 were very different. Crits were based on speed stat. Persian was OU for a long time SIMPLY because of always getting a crit Slash, and being able to run Bubblebeam. Wrap, and wrap-themed moves, were utterly broken. The biggest thing to remember besides crits is that Special is ONE STAT.

Anyway, Alakazam is Psychic, fast, and can tank with its ridiculous Special Defense, and can spread Twave. Chansey is a wall and had good Special Attack in gen 1. Cloyster had Clamp and Explosion, plus Blizzard has 90% accuracy in gen 1. Exeggutor was Psychic and Sleep Powder was one of the more accurate sleep inducing moves, plus had Explosion. Gengar has always been good, and having a normal immunity in gen 1 was invaluable, as well as having Hypnosis. Golem and Rhydon were good because Normal types were everywhere and they were immune to Electric, they accomplished similar roles. Jolteon was stupidly fast and had a super high crit rate because of it. Jynx was a fast sleeper and Lovely Kiss had okay accuracy, it also had good Special and Psychic was good this gen. Lapras was bulky enough to survive the tier. Slowbro had Amnesia, which raised SpAttack and SpDef so it was totally broken, plus it had Twave. Snorlax was bulky and tough, and if you KO'd a pokemon with Hyper Beam you ddn't have to recharge; it also commonly ran surf to deal with Golem and Rhydon. Starmie had varied moves, Recover, Twave, and was Psychic type. Tauros was fast enough for a good crit rate and had a good physical moveset with access to Hyper Beam, Body Slam, and Earthquake; Normal was actually one of the best types in RBY time because of Hyper Beam STAB and because there's pretty much no fighting types in OU. And finally, Zapdos is fast and strong and was one of the most successful mixed sweepers, but was kept in check by Rhydon and Golem.
>>
I remember gen 2 I got pokerus, and terrible autism made me grind tof badge cap before every gym. Grinding in ice tunnel, I ended up with a team of absurd freaks, where no one other than my steelix had a stat below 250. I was universally hated amongst my friends.

I guess EV cap made game more competitive, but I'll always remember my Golden Boys.
>>
>>29140582
It was a meme mostly.
>>
>>29137819

So much this...
>>
>>29137480

In Gen 1, if the pokemon wasnt normal, water or psychic type there's probably little chance you'd use it at all. Literally the best 3 types.
>>
>>29140688
Triple Normal is something that's fallen out a bit in current RBY. It's not irrelevant by any means, but with stronger teams its harder to skip on mons like Zapdos, Starmie, Zam, Lapras, etc for a third normal, and Snorlax isn't totally outclassed by Tauros and Chansey. Egg/(bulky water, I probly should've clarified) is a slash with less merit, but I've seen it before so I figured I'd include it.
>>
>>29137480
Difficult question: which six Pokémon will make up a team that performs really well in both Gen 1 and Gen 2?

I'm guessing the two in the OP are pretty safe bets, but the rest, I don't know. Maybe Exeggutor?
>>
>>29140992

Starmie
Snorlax
Lapras
Jolteon
Alakazam
Rhydon
>>
>>29141045
>Jolteon
>Alakazam
>"Lapras"
>>
>>29140786
Would you describe a typical battle between you and your friends?
>>
>>29140992
zapdos, starmie, snorlax, gengar, exeggutor, cloyster
>>
Natures and the global EV cap made in-game runs a lot less fun. That's why I still love Yellow and Crystal the most. Gen 2 also had the absolute best move animation and sprites.
>>
>>29140992
Snorlax is a given.
Legendary Electric is necessary in G2, and Zapdos can do Tauros' role in G1, so Zapdos it is.
Exeggutor is very good in both gens. Sleep, Explosion, very useful typing and whatnot.
Gengar, see Exeggutor.
Rhydon can function well in both gens.
Last slot, your choice between Starmie and Cloyster.
>>
>>29137480
Slowbro was busted after an amnesia. The only way to counter it was Venusaur and Victreebel.

Normal types were even more op than psychic types especially Tauros and Snorlax
>>
>>29141190
That team is almost standard Explosion offense in GSC (Rhydon instead of Steelix), but pretty weird in RBY.
>>
>>29141241
Zapdos and Jolteon had decent crit rates and STAB on Thunderbolt.
>>
>>29141185
>liking yellow
>>
File: 1470432340329.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470432340329.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>29137480
>before abilities, natures and the new IV/EV system ruined everything?
top bait
>>
>>29137824
>>29137795
DUDE OUTRAGE

could work for gen 4 and tutors
>>
>>29141297
I only like it better than Red and Blue because every town has a different color palette. I don't care for the whole pikachu thing. I actually hate how it refuses to evolve into Raichu.
>>
Exclusive footage of the world's first metagame tournament in Gen 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTHsOSGJHN0
>>
>>29141185
>games after gen2 are an OCD nightmarr
>games before gen3 won't let your pokemon remember forgotten moves
Fuck, this series is shit. Literally every game has something that pisses me off.
>>
Gen I Leech seed + Toxic combo stacking was too OP
>>
>>29141465
Jeez, just switch out. How hard can it be?
>>
Gen 1 was better than now because it was faster paced. Kanto Classic was also way better than normal play because you can't use items that means no leftovers and there weren't enough stallmons in Kanto for a stall team, just Chansey who can't even hold Eviolite.
>>
>>29141434

You can use a move relearner in gen 2 if you have Stadium 2.
>>
>>29141131
We would battle for hours then go and have sex together in my room. The best was when there was 6 of us
>>
>>29141465
It was a bug but it was fucking awful in competitive play senpai, there weren't enough turns in a gen 1 match for toxic to kill something.
>>
>>29141297
>liking pokemon at all
>>
>>29141465
Stacking?? You mean as if they ran off the same damage calc? Was it a glitch or intentional?
>>
>>29141891
Yes, As in, not only would Leech Seed's damage also double, bu Leech Seed's damage would also double the next instance of toxic.
>>
>>29141925
Jesus how horrifying
>>
>>29140582
No it wasnt. It was basically a meme.

Back when we all played on carts , nobody used it
>>
So reading this thread

Gen 1: DUDE PSYCHICS LOL
Gen 2: DUDE CURSE LOL
Gen 3: DUDE WOBBUFFET LOL
Gen 4: DUDE OUTRAGE LOL
Gen 5: DUDE WEATHER LOL
Gen 6: DUDE GENIES LOL

Wonder what gen 7 will be.
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.