[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't Sugimori drawing anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

Was there ever an official reason why he no longer does the official art?
>>
he probably got bored
>>
>>29136813
Art block, criticism, boredom...
Any one of these works
>>
He's been grooming up Ohmura to take over since DP. He pretty much planned to quit someday.
>>
what? he still does most of it.
>>
>>29137112
no
>>
>>29136813
He still does a lot, his artstyle just changed.
>>
>>29136813
he just switched from watercolours to digital.
big fucking deal
now spread your autism elsewhere you sperg
>>
>>29137543
>>29137584
>Not being able to tell the difference between two art styles

Fuck off the both of you cocksuckers
>>
>>29136813
>>29137524
source?
>>
>>29137637
are you gonna provide any source or are you here just for shitpost?
>>
>>29136813
He moved up on the ladder and is getting old and tired. Why do things yourself when you have underlings to do it for you now.

Ken still does a lot of work though.
>>
File: Not the same.jpg (277KB, 2560x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Not the same.jpg
277KB, 2560x1280px
>>29137948
Do these two drawings look like they were made by the same person?

Fennekin was drawn by Sugimori, Litten was drawn by Ohmura
>>
>>29136813
The same reason why Miyamoto stopped directing games after Ocarina of Time. He was promoted and is now supervising the young blood.
>>
File: Sugimori art vs Ohmura art.png (136KB, 993x795px) Image search: [Google]
Sugimori art vs Ohmura art.png
136KB, 993x795px
>>29138054
Popped in here to support this. Sugimori has only drawn a handful of the official art for Sun/Moon, I'd say about 10 pieces of art belong to him altogether. The rest is all Ohmura, who has progressively been taking on more and more work since BW. It's obvious Sugimori is planning on having him take over.
>>
File: ewifjweiiwegjei.png (908KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
ewifjweiiwegjei.png
908KB, 1280x1280px
>>29137948
There is no direct source provided by GameFreak, but there are dozen of comparision pictures of Sugimori/Ohmura art.
>>
>>29138054
Can I source for these claims?
>>
>>29136813
source pls?
>>
>>29138122
Not him but there are only a few sources citing that Ohmura has been taking over some of the art duties, mostly around the BW/BW2 era. I've been a fan of Sugimori 10 years and a fan of Ohmura ever since he debuted at Game Freak, so I've been comparing and contrasting their artwork for nearly a decade.

Ohmura did official art for N for BW2, and comparing the art Sugimori did for N in the original it's quite easy to tell the nuances in their styles apart.

>>29138094
Sugi's linework is wobbly, first of all. This is a remnant of his traditional artwork being transferred to digital where it's touched up. His shading is also really warm and almost washed out.He also has a unique way of drawing eyes, hands, and legs, which you should also look out for.

Ohmura from what I can infer, has been doing digital art professionally pretty much most of his career, therefore his lines are super clean with no wobble whatsoever, and his shading and coloring are easily identifiable compared to Sugi's. It's more vibrant, he doesn't blend shading with primary colors at all, and his overall character designs are over the top and more outrageous than Sugi's. He also draws his characters in more dynamic poses, sometimes draws characters' eyes uniquely (take Cheren and Nate for example).

Overall, their art styles are ostensibly similar but if you look deeper you can tell them apart pretty easily. They work so well together which is why he's taking over when Sugimori retires.
>>
>>29138122
>There are seriously people who don't know this already
We've known this forever
>>
>>29138054
>Do these two drawings look like they were made by the same person?
the art got a lot more different starting in gen 3, anon, this picture proves nothing
it's just your speculation
>>
>>29138440
The art got different but it was still obviously Sugomori doing it, look at the characters in R/S and compare them to Crystal artwork, it's pretty much the same exact style just taking less cues from Akira Toriyama.
>>
>>29138461
>obviously
>yet litten and Fennekin aren't obviously
just because you wanted, anon
every gen the art got a slight modification. Unless you provide any real source, you don't have any arguments.
>>
>>29138313
Nice source, faggot.
>>
>>29138054
Dude Ohmura fucking sucks both at drawing AND designing pokemon someone tell him to stick with humans
>>
File: chimpmuonk.png (19KB, 153x132px) Image search: [Google]
chimpmuonk.png
19KB, 153x132px
>>29138761
>>
>>29138761
>this shit again

What makes you think Ohmura designs every single Pokémon now? There are like 10 different designers over at GameFreak

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/User:Altruis/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_their_designers
>>
>>29138104
I can't wait for TCG to show us if he really quited or not
>>
>>29138840
When is TCG?
>>
>>29138882
Nevermind, I was thinking that meant Tokyo Game Show. I'm dumb.
>>
>>29138882
I don't really know. check pokebeach for tcg related news
>>
>>29137855
There's no source. We don't know who's doing the art, but I'm pretty sure it's still Sugimori, he changes artstyle frequently
>>
>>29138941
Sugi still does some of the art for SM, in the same artstyle he's been using for XY. It makes it all the more easier to tell apart Ohmura's art and Sugimori's art. If you don't believe me, that's fine, but the TCG will support this.
>>
>>29138839
>>29138805
Oh I'm sorry I didn't actually state that right what I meant was seeing litten next to fennekin made me realize how badly designed litten is, I'm pretty sure Ohmura has designed mons that I adore but it kinda caught me by surprise that my least favorite of the alola starters is made by him
Btw who made rowlett I'm very curious
>>
>>29139054
Like the other posters were saying, there's a handful of Pokemon designers at GF right now so we don't know for sure who designed what this generation until we get some sort of interview disclosing that, like we did with XY.
>>
>>29139054
We don't know, but he looks the most "Sugimori" to me.
>>
>>29138805
Nevermind. Tell Ohmura to off himself in a shallow, dark corner.
>>
File: 99o4gXv8ESRnrqrQ-F0OpQ_r.jpg (111KB, 750x537px) Image search: [Google]
99o4gXv8ESRnrqrQ-F0OpQ_r.jpg
111KB, 750x537px
>>29137855
source is all the official artwork that's been released. Just doesn't look anything like sugimori's work. That being said source is pic related
>>
>>29138805
>>29139087
It's hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure Ohmura started this trend with Bianca but he dropped it after BW. Sugimori picked it up and started rehashing it for his characters.
>>
>>29139105
yes, we know you're here for shitposting
>>
>watercolors will never be used again
>>
Sugimori did all the alolan pokemon
Ash greninja
Zygarde forms
Almost all the npcs

Thats a lot
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.