[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you nickname your Pokemon, /vp/? And if so, how do you decide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

Do you nickname your Pokemon, /vp/?
And if so, how do you decide what to nickname them?
>>
>>29103641
No nicknaming your Pokemon is for faggots

I usually nickname mine after popular shit that relates in someway to the Pokemon
>>
>>29103641
I pick a theme, as a chef most of my pokemon are generally named after spices, herbs and wines.

Otherwise I go for puns that amuse me. Like intended SM pokemon: Owliver the Rowlet and Bouldog the Rockruff
>>
My comp mon are all named after stars or constellations
>>
>>29103641
I just give them people names based on what I think fits.
>>
>>29103641
If I'm playing through the game as the playable character, I don't nickname them. If I'm playing as myself I tend to name them after things they remind me of, or human names. Though I do remember having a Golduck called Farfeign, and I don't know why I called it that.
>>
If I can I give them mythology related names. The more obscure the merrier.
>>
>>29103641
I did nickname every Pokemon before, but I recently renamed them back because my nicknames weren't the best. Now I only nickname special Pokemon. like some shinies. My shiny Glaceon is named Crystal (meh) and my shiny Drought Ninetales is named Amaterasu
>>
I name my pokemon after music references.

I name ampharos lucifer Sam, kangaskhan Matilda mother, weavile Lemmy, Gliscor kashmir and many others.
Generally in rock culture.

I find it cool.
>>
I do not. It's fine if you do, I totally see the appeal, but the concept doesn't appeal to me. I always feel like I'll stop liking the nickname I gave it after I transfer it over to a new generation or whatever. So, anything I call a pokémon is in my head only. Never something entered in-game.
>>
File: 1476377376906.png (231KB, 653x641px) Image search: [Google]
1476377376906.png
231KB, 653x641px
>>29103641
nice thumbnail op
>>
>>29103641
Completely random if I do. I always use band and musician names if they can fit.
>>
>>29103641

I generally give them "real names." I pick a nationality/language and roll with names from it that I like. Gen 1 was American, Gen 2 was Spanish, Gen 3 was German, Gen 4 was Russian, Gen 5 was Middle Eastern, and Gen 6 was French.

I'll probably go Hawaiian this time around because they have some baller names and it's only fitting.
>>
File: 1476324777128.jpg (99KB, 500x675px) Image search: [Google]
1476324777128.jpg
99KB, 500x675px
>>29103641
>Do you nickname your Pokemon, /vp/?
Yes.

>And if so, how do you decide what to nickname them?
I ended up somehow taking the JoJo route before I even knew JoJo existed.
>>
File: macarthur7.jpg (51KB, 400x258px) Image search: [Google]
macarthur7.jpg
51KB, 400x258px
Depends on the playtrough. Usually it's dictators/engineers/scientists/admirals etc.

Used to name bred ones after a song that was on the playlist when I checked the IVs.
>>
>>29104061

>your_pokemon_are_already_released.jpg
>>
>>29103641
Themes. Sometimes it's Gems, like Ruby and Amber, sometimes it's Weapons, Blade and Arrow, sometimes it's legends, like Siegfried and Lancelot. Just pick some theme and stick to it.
>>
>>29103641
It's a combination of references, puns, fitting "regular" names, inside jokes with myself. Tons of things really. It's fun having a big variety of names on one team.
>>
>>29103641
Animu characters, vidya, memes.
>>
>>29103641
I name the after fictional characters and historical figures mostly.
>>
>>29103641
Yes i Nickname mine.

Usualy after chars from a story or a pun.. or just some random gibberish.. some after real life pets.. or after characters from a show i like
it depends per pokemon what i find to fit )
>>
>>29103641
I either name them names I like or after things I like
>>
>>29103641
I name all pokemon I use, even if their use isn't for battle (HM slaves and contest pokemon for exemple). However I don't name those I catch for collecting or breeding. Pokemon I catch for use in the story tend to be puns or cute/silly names that I think fits them. Pokemon I breed for multiplayer are named after mythological creatures/characters/items/locations.
>>
>>29103641
Yes, I use themes for a run if I decide I'm going to nickname them. My current run of platinum is using Japanese names. Other runs have included chemical elements, planets, members of the Greek pantheon, members of the Roman pantheon, philosophers and ideologies.
>>
I usually name them human names. I think its cute. I try to find a clever name that's a reference to something (Mareep named Philip after Philip K. Dick), but if I cant find one, I just name them something i think is funny or cute (Slowking named Charles, Ursaring named Bernard)
>>
>>29103641
I used to nickname all the time, but I stopped for the most part.

I like using mythology names, unique names, or names from my favorite non pokemon games.

Example:
Oracle the Delphox
Thanatos the Garchomp
Khazra the Gogoat
El'druin the Aegislash
Sif the Lycanroc
>>
Yes, always.
Before starting my run, I choose a theme, and every pokemon I catch must have a nickname related to this theme, and beginning with the first letter of its name. Gender influences the name though.

I.e., my current AS run's theme is Stars, I have a make Azumarill nicknamed "Altaïr", Female Breloom "Bellatrix"...
>>
>>29104976
Guilty of that:
Starmie - Vega
Froslass - Polaris
>>
I usually name them something that sounds cute. Even if it's a Pokemon that isn't really cute at all.
>>
I like naming them just whatever comes to mind the second I catch them. My Staraptor is named "Pezones" (nipples in Spanish). Haxorus "Haxy". Named my Charizard after one of my dogs... just whatever feels right desu.
>>
>>29103641
It's mostly either trivial/references or plain normal names.
>>
I use military ranks from various nations. Water Pokemon get navy ranks, regular pokes are army, fliers are Air Force. Competitive mons are high ranks like admiral and fun Pokemon are lower ranks. Examples are generalfeld, vizeadmiral, generalmajor, private, hauptmann etc.
>>
Ensiferum the Marowak
Lannister the Pyroar
Pinochet the Tyrantrum
>>
for the ones i'll have on my party for the rest of the game. if not, then i just give them some kind of shitty joke name. ie.: absol - absolutely, rattata -> grattata and so on
>>
>>29103757
This. Except sometimes I just give them a random object name- Cookie, Pepper, Glitch, Mama and once I gave a wurmple the name Fork and I fell in love with it. I mean, I didn't use it of course, but I couldn't even trade it. I'll find a better pokemon and name it Fork in SM.
>>
>>29103641
Based on ebin meme like Mozart for Malamar
Or make up worse pun, taking the official english "punny" name to the next level if I'm not too lazy
>>
File: 1448928410031.jpg (49KB, 436x467px) Image search: [Google]
1448928410031.jpg
49KB, 436x467px
Always though those who nickname their pokemon with names of gods and mythologic stuff were lame and gay, but on my second Platinum run I nicknamed my Torterra "Yggdrasil". Felt good and though it gave him extra badassery.
>>
>>29103641
I name them after cities and locations and shit, like Sydney for Volcarona or Miami for my Kingler

You think Gahara is too edgy of a name for my Trevenant though? As in Aokigahara. Yeah it's edgy but how edgy is it exactly? Nothing else came to mind
>>
>>29105692

Fucking hypocrite!
>>
>>29105743
Name it Tunguska
>>
>>29105743
Hollywood
>>
naming best doggo fenrir

i just come up with something no special way of thinking about one
>>
>>29103859
Wow. What generic and shit nicknames!
>>
>>29103641
>>29103641
First thing that comes to my head, usually ends up nonsense though like Skurp or Grarl
>>
File: giggle.gif (2MB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
giggle.gif
2MB, 245x245px
>>29106017
>>
Testarossa the Scizor
Diablo the Garchomp
Lilith the Serperior
Woodstock the Venusaur
Tomahawk the Skarmory
Greenwitch the Gardevoir
Kentucky the Blaziken
Mistral the Altaria
Napalm the Typhlosion
Malice the Mismagius

I know i'll nickname my future Alolan Ninetales "Tundra".
Any ideas for Exeggutor?
>>
Usually I just name them whatever comes to mind when I catch them, but others I put some thought into. I've got a Chesnaught named Castor, after both Castor oil and the hero from Greek mythology.
>>
>>29106058
Why is Dan so cute?
>>
>>29105814
>>29105836
These are good ones. Thanks Anons

I was feeling a little stumped over what to call her
>>
I name mine after Jojo Stands which in turn are named after other things.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.