[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Creating an adventure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

In the midst of all the SM stuff, I need a bit of your help, /vp/, which we are going to mix with a bit of fun.

>The issue
I want to prepare a tabletop RPG adventure for a convention next week. I am using Fate as my system of choice, and I've done a lot of work to have a Pokémon game running with it. For this reason and because I lack a regular group, I think this is a good instance to test this game.

A game using the Fate system requires a phase to build the campaign between the players. But there is a big time constraint, 3 or 4 hours to play, and we must make sure most of this time is used playing rather than building the game which can take a whole session.

>What do we do in /vp/ then?
We will build the adventure instead! Yes I could build it myself but I need a bit of input as for what could make for a good adventure that won't last for too long.

>How?
First I gotta mention, I want everything to happen within established locations in the game. Inventing a new place is probably a harder job than using one that already exists.

Now, respond to this question: How big or small should the scale of the game be?

Big scale means a threat to a region or a large portion of it

Small scale means a threat that affects a city or two or even the players and their relationship to their surroundings.

First five responses will determine the scale of the game!
>>
small threat, something more personnal, if it affect your ingame you, it's easier
>>
hm... well for starters if you wanna use regions that already exist i suggest some kind of story like time and space being corrupted, probably involving Palkia and Dialga, kinda like pokemon generations
also game scale should be big, something personal against the gym leaders, Elite 4 or even the Champion, you know, to beat someone strong you need even stronger pokemons
just discarding ideas
>>
>>29007846
Even if it takes 3 or 4 players?

Not saying it's not doable, it perfectly is. I wonder how it would work on a Pokémon setting?

>>29007955
Which could probably be perfect for testing higher powered mons in a single sitting! What concerns me is how many people here hate the big scale stories that are in the games.
>>
>>29008089
Forgot tripcode!
>>
>>29008089
if the story is done correctly it could turn out pretty good
if possible, one thing i always hated on legendaries is how weak they were compared to what they should be, if possible, make them really strong, like a boss Mon
>>
>>29008089
I did a thing like this with 4 player, so yes, I don't really know for the pokemon setting, but if you make it happen in a city like nacrene city it could be great
>>
>>29008183
Of course. I don't even need special rules or anything for stuff like Dialga making time go backwards or Palkia bending the dimensions. It could be fun, now that you mention it!

>>29008364
A personal thing in Nacrene City, for instance? By the way once I get all 5 votes I will ask for the issue itself, and we have 2.
>>
Bumping with the tally.

Small scale: 1
Big scale: 1

I will take one more vote (more if they happen to be here before I check back) before going to the next stage.
>>
>>29009079
I'd suggest small scale, but i have ideas for both large and small scale.
Small scale: A new local garbage dump, combined with the warm summer, has resulted in an explosive population of trubbish! Very soon, they'll run out of trash to eat, and need to search the nearby town for other sources of food... How will your PCs react to this sudden swarm of dust bunnies? Will they destroy them, catch them, or find some other solution.
Large scale: Beeheeyem. Alien. Invasion.
>>
For small scale i would suggest a bunch of small problems around a town, like you would do some sidequests that would help you fix the main quest
for example, the Pokemon around it are pretty mad due to a gang attacking them physically and harassing them, your mission is to calm down, for example, a bunch of wild angry combee's by beating Vespiqueen in order to bring her to reason, the gang appears then and tries to harm you and you have to battle them, see? small steps for a small problem
for big scale the dialga and palkia idea is the best to go, considering that you wont use any hand-made regions how the story would progress is up to you OP
>>
>4 posters, including myself
>Small scale: 2
>Big scale: 1

It is set, then. As much as a bigger scale game could be fun, a small scale is probably more manageable in the small frame of time I have.

NEXT STAGE: THE SETTING'S BIG ISSUES!

This is where the fun actually starts. Everybody, we have to come up with the issues of the setting. We can do this in two ways:

>You post an idea
>You post a picture which could trigger ideas

And we can discuss ideas others posted that could be fun. The idea that has the most support is the one that will go forward to the next stage.

>>29009215
>A new local garbage dump, combined with the warm summer, has resulted in an explosive population of trubbish! Very soon, they'll run out of trash to eat, and need to search the nearby town for other sources of food... How will your PCs react to this sudden swarm of dust bunnies? Will they destroy them, catch them, or find some other solution.

>>29009394
>the Pokemon around it are pretty mad due to a gang attacking them physically and harassing them, your mission is to calm down, for example, a bunch of wild angry combee's by beating Vespiqueen in order to bring her to reason, the gang appears then and tries to harm you and you have to battle them

Here are two ideas.

I would stay but sadly I gotta go eat. I'll swallow my food as fast as possible and get back to ya, I don't want to leave all the work to you.
>>
>>29009495
alright, enjoy your meal
ill be using this name so we dont confuse people or repeat votes
>>
Sucks that you clearly put a lot of time into this for there to be a Pokémon TTRPG released not too long back. I know how bad that feels. Still, though, I really hope it goes well, let us know!
>>
Hm, no votes yet?

>>29009709
Thanks! I'm back already.

>>29009985
You mean the one based on d10 dice pools? This is a different approach. Fate is a different beast altogether.
>>
might as well explain the idea while we wait for people to vote

So the gang is trying to enrage the pokemon against the townspeople and to get them to hate humans, what they are trying to really do is to trigger the stronguest pokemon near town to dominate them and create an army of them, in order to face another big pokemon, but ill get to that later
you, the trainer, will stop their mischief by getting the enraged pokemon to calm down and to fight off the gang, the story will eventually progress to a point where the gang learns about the existence of a really strong pokemon, so they start fighting other trainers where they bet their pokemon to them
not much of a story but i guess that with the right direction it could turn out well
>>
>>29010252
Interesting, a current and an impending issue all in one bat.

>Current: Gang are trying to enrage pokemon against the townspeople
>Impending: A very strong (totem-like? legendary?) Pokemon might wake up anytime from now

Although one issue is ideal, having two isn't precisely bad if we can solve both in a single session.

Also, no worries about the story, that's going to develop while we play of course.

Or, they are probably trying to force a Mega Evolution? Pic related.
>>
File: 1472675819803.jpg (423KB, 900x1184px) Image search: [Google]
1472675819803.jpg
423KB, 900x1184px
>>29010397
i was thinking of something like wake up the Man-Made pokemon that was created to defend humans, Regigigas, forcing him to come out
im just saying regigigas cuz its probably the one that makes more sense in the situation at hand
im up to get megas on the case, not sure how tho ill think a little
>>
>>29010538
>im just saying regigigas cuz its probably the one that makes more sense in the situation at hand
A manmade Pokémon that has been in a slumber and might wake up? Hm, although Regigigas wakes up with the other regis, I'm thinking your idea applies best with some sort of protector or if the energy from the upset Pokémon could somehow be used.

>Protector
Landorus, maybe Volcarona, the musketeers, what else? Maybe Zoroark?

>Energy
Mega Evolution, forced evolution (a la Red Gyarados), maybe some sort of disruption to control a very strong Pokémon?
>>
>>29010687
im also thinking the leader should capture regigigas, not the player, in order to cause chaos, not having regigigas to protect them the player unlocks the power of mega evolution in order to stop regigigas
if not regigigas probably Heatran, would make sense having him under earth
if Landorus, it should be the gang trying to unleash his mega with the mirror, but it ends up not being that kind of energy they were looking for and let Landorus run wild(extending even further the story)
Volcarona would probably be needed for the progress
Zoroark is pretty destructive, but its not really a pokemon with bad intentions
the musketeers? if the player ends up having the help of keldeo i could see that
what if they tried to Evolve even further a legendary pokemon with that energy and it ended up triggering Mega evolution energy?
>>
>>29010843
>im also thinking the leader should capture regigigas
Hm you're right, so protectors definitely cannot work unless, as you said, they are forced to obey the gang's leader.

>what if they tried to Evolve even further a legendary pokemon with that energy and it ended up triggering Mega evolution energy?
This is an interesting possibility, I don't have to work with established megas. Or just trigger something like a totem's aura or even a Z-Move. But whatever is triggered it should make the Pokémon stronger, maybe uncontrollable even for the gang.

What's best is that if we add a totem sort of thing virtually any fully evolved mon works.
>>
>>29011024
can we possibly simulate a power similar to the totens? if so that would be dope actually
>>
>>29011075
I can. The good thing about Fate is that it's super malleable. I can add whatever bullshit rule I want in a whim because the whole system is very similar between its components, up to the point I can describe whatever as a character even if it's not really such (like a burning house that could have skills and even do attack actions).

And all I need to make a totem work is by buffing the stats and making it more difficult for the players to beat. And given the energy is disruptive, the leader of the gang will probably be unable to control it.

But... What if the players do stop the leader? I have to think on alternate paths, too.
>>
>>29011128
i thought a bit about it, it doesnt mean it has to be the end after the leader is defeated
maybe a sort of continuation to its plans, or a newfound story after the things that the said legendary could have caused, like when deoxys landed a meteor on earth it caused a crater, leading to a new town, maybe exploring the cave where the legendary resided
>>
>>29011269
>it doesnt mean it has to be the end after the leader is defeated
It has to. This is a one-shot session. If the story could have a revival after it (i.e. if the group agrees to play more in a constant basis) we could always plan something else or invent a new story ourselves, but as far as things go the story has to be self-concluding.
>>
>>29011292
alright, then we could simply create a post-game
like i said, exploring the regi cave where regigigas was found or even catching some small legendaries(something that wouldnt cause the world to go havoc by their presence) or other small sidequests
just saying
>>
>>29011332
>then we could simply create a post-game
I don't have to. In fact I'd rather not for a very simple reason. I can't find the source text, but Fate Core recommends only to bring whatever is necessary and nothing else.

Remember: I have to gamemaster a short game with a group I may not meet afterwards! I cannot get too overboard with content and get straight to the point.
>>
>>29011447
so what you need is a game that it has a beggining and an end, with nothing else in between right?
so post game is out of question i guess, lets then try to make the story interesting
>>
>>29007804
While I don't really have any ideas (sorry) I do think small scale would be better.
>>
>>29011502
Basically. It has to start in the session and end in the same session. I cannot afford to create it with my players, because creating the game and the characters will take a little bit of time (one extra session, which I don't have).

>>29011516
Thanks. Small scale is what we're working on, with this idea >>29010252 as a basis. If you've got something to contribute or a far more different plot idea, I'd be happy to hear.
>>
>>29011502
Okay I found it

>Take Only What You Need to Survive
>It’s better to focus on writing down exactly what you need for that NPC’s encounter with the PCs, and then fill in the blanks on the fly (just like PCs can) if that NPC ends up becoming more important in the campaign.

https://fate-srd.com/fate-core/creating-and-playing-opposition

Although this focuses on NPCs, the whole idea is that I only have to focus on what I need for an encounter and I then fill the blanks on the fly. I only need plot ideas, and make sure I have contingency plans in case the characters take certain routes.
>>
>>29011637
alright, then lets focus on whats important 1st, how should we start and finish, and how should we do in between?
>>
File: 1472923006541.png (384KB, 800x523px) Image search: [Google]
1472923006541.png
384KB, 800x523px
bump
>>
>>29011736
That's why I need the issue. So far the issues are

>Current: Pokémon from a certain location are being disturbed
>Impending: A very strong Pokémon is about to wake up

Which means the following two aspects (Fate Core term for important elements in a story) are created:

>(name of the gang)
They are disturbing the local Pokémon

>(pokémon) is about to wake up!
And will wreck havoc if this happens.

If we get no further input, the following step would be to add FACES AND PLACES. This means, we have to think of a couple of important NPCs and where this will happen!

Nacrene City looks like a good place, but not one where a big Pokémon would be hiding. What was the name of the place near where you find Keldeo...?

Also sorry for taking so long, my internet is acting up.
>>
>>29012053
dont remember keldeo's place but it was around that ice city that also had the spiral Den tower

so for gang group how about
>Showderp
>Wipe Crew
>Team Savage
awful suggestions i know, but nothing comes to mind
for the pokémon it needs to be a strong pokemon that is capable of causing damage to a city, but not to the point of affecting the world
making it a totem is a must for final battle
i was thinking of that area where landorus shrine resides, is enormous and provides the player a really big place to explore, and to play out these events, the two citys that are connected to it should be the places where the game takes place
>>
File: 1472169798961.jpg (129KB, 786x1017px) Image search: [Google]
1472169798961.jpg
129KB, 786x1017px
>>29012053
welp im off to bed now, ill come back later. good luck on your game
>>
>>29012357
>>29012186
As for a big Pokémon? Um, anything works really... But what could work BEST? It has to be an intimidating Pokémon. I was thinking, maybe Salamence or Garchomp? Dragonite is a good protector, maybe it's driven crazy.

And I think we've agreed that Unova is a great place for this story to unfold. Enough nearby cities, and enough distance for this to affect those directly.

>>29012357
Thank you very much!

I'm still waiting for input, everyone!
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.