[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Talking strictly about mon design, what makes pokemon designs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 16

File: pokemon_vs_digimon.jpg (72KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon_vs_digimon.jpg
72KB, 600x338px
Talking strictly about mon design,

what makes pokemon designs so much more memorable and more recognizable than digimon

and I'm saying this as a digimon fan.
>>
>>28991547
digimon evolutions are dogshit, basic and baby digimon might as well be pokemon with more details
>>
>>28991563
See Pyukumuku
>>
>>28991547
Amount of detail. I don't think you can draw a fully evolved digimon without references.
>>
>>28991547
Tentatively, I'd say it is the recognizable lines in Pokemon, and the fact that a decent portion of Digimon basically become half-assed gjinkas of their base forms. The few Digimon that actually look fucking sweet (like the Kabuterimon line and Tyranomon line) follow the rules of Pokemon more closely.
>>
Digimon are way more complex, it's also far easier to remember how Pokemon evolve
>>
Pokemon is more simple based on animals and objects
>>
They're cute, drawable, colorful, and don't have stupid nonsense all over them
>>
Digimon designs are great, so long as you stick to Rookie or Champion designs. Some Ultimates are okay, but most of them, plus the megas just look like cosplayers.
The forms under Rookie just look like blobs, which is boring as fuck.
>>
>>28991674
>The forms under Rookie just look like blobs, which is boring as fuck.

its interesting because the designers were trying to make the low level digimon consistent, ie. baby like looks, soft and vulnerable looking, only being a bouncing head, etc.

it's a good design idea but it didn't work in digimon.
>>
Digimon evolution lines are unnecessarily complicated and long.

In Training to Rookie to Champion to Ultimate to Mega

There's probably more shit I'm forgetting. It's easy to remember Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard. I forget some of the Agumon line from time to time.
>>
Digimon is a billion times worse about the whole "monster evolves into bipedal humanoid" thing everyone loves to bitch about.
>>
>>28991547
Personally speaking, I would say that it's because anything and everything can become a Digimon, which makes any new ones less surprising.

I mean, look at Deputymon/Revolmon. In Digimon, it's another silly-looking humanoid thing with guns.
Now try to work that into Pokemon. What do you think the general reaction would be?
>>
File: parodymons.jpg (64KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
parodymons.jpg
64KB, 950x534px
So what I'm getting here, good design is:

> keep it simple
> evolution line should be short
> prevolutions need to have a running theme as they evolve into more powerful forms
> consistency is good but only in individual mons, not an entire baby stage for mons
>knock it off with the gajinka/humanoid forms, keep it to a minimum

I have to give props to Digimon for trying something different from Pokemon, fascinating to see how design ideas fail or succeed in these shows.
>>
>>28991776
>gunz
>we have a sword and shield pokemon
>still no gun pokemon

how mad would /vp/ get if GF made a object based pokemon that is guns?
>>
digimon evolve into either kaijus or gijinkas
>>
>>28991810
I will say some of the ones that turn into cyborgs at various points can work quite well, as do the things that find canons and such. It's mostly the humanoid thing I have an issue with.
Probably my favorite is Metal Tyranomon, entirely because it looks like Orks decided to fix up a T-rex.
>>
File: expert.png (204KB, 746x426px) Image search: [Google]
expert.png
204KB, 746x426px
>>28991547
Pokemon got popular, Digimon didn't. That's the biggest reason.

More specifically, Pokemon had games that had every Pokemon at the time in it. Digimon got games that had select Digimon that show up for perhaps one episode. That's another thing: Pokemon allowed for several partners, while Digimon had one digimon to each child (except Kokomon and Gummymon). That means that every other Digimon was either a recurring bad Digimon or a one-shot Digimon. My friends who grew up with both only remember those recurring Digimon and the digidestined partners, since they either didn't have the Digimon World games or didn't care much for them.
>>
File: Bucchiemon_b.jpg (67KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Bucchiemon_b.jpg
67KB, 320x320px
>tfw your favorite digimon is so irrelevant it's not in any of the games

Digimon really should try to make a game with all of the monsters
>>
>>28991949
I'd buy this. I only really know the lines and names of the ones from the show, plus a few here and there. If each of the kids had two or three mons, and had to manage all of them, I probably would have gotten more accustomed to the designs. Then again, the show might have suffered with that many characters.
>>
>>28991949
>Digimon got games that had select Digimon that show up for perhaps one episode
>Digimon had one digimon to each child
Hold up, are you talking about the anime or the game?

I mean, in some games, you can have more than one Digimon partner as well.

Not trying to counter your argument, just confused.

>>28991974
With the current amount of Digimon as is? I'd say it'll take less time to do a Pokemon game with all the 'mon in it.
>>
>>28991994
>Then again, the show might have suffered with that many characters.

They could just cut back on the digimon's personalities, Each digimon was basically a full character, then compare that to pokemon who are mostly just running gags.
>>
>>28991547
The simplicity of the designs. Digimon has men and women in armor evolutions for almost every line, guns and knifes and cannons, and cyborgs and shit. It's too much
>>
File: 1457831359235.jpg (17KB, 242x375px) Image search: [Google]
1457831359235.jpg
17KB, 242x375px
>>28992038
Talking about the anime, but applying it to the games. Yeah, Digimon World 2 and on you could have more than one partner, but Digimon World 1 had the most impact at the time. I love that game to death, but it just didn't cut it compared to Pokemon Red and Blue. They were more simple, more complete and more advertised games, so no matter how memorable Digimon's designs were, they could never compete.
>>
>>28991547
Everything that has been mentioned before is true so I'm not gonna add to that.
What I think the biggest thing is that with Pokemon, at least during the time Digimon actually competed with it, there were 151/251 which made it small enough that kids could recognize all the mons, they also had the task to collect them all. Digimon on the other hand was insane in terms of how many there were and how inconsistent it was to find them.

Also the fact that Digimon lines can cross streams made it more confusing.

Digimons being conscious beings also didn't help, it went from being a really smart pet in pokemon to basically partners to humans.
>>
>>28992064
>They could just cut back on the digimon's personalities, Each digimon was basically a full character, then compare that to pokemon who are mostly just running gags.

>Digimon actually trying to make their IP deep with monsters that have their own personalities
>you'd think this would be a winning idea

amazing that most of the pokemon can't speak a word of english and yet, they're just so charming and huggable and you end up wanting to take care of them.
>>
>>28991547
digimon are designed to appeal edgy horny 12 year olds
pokemon are designed to just be appealing designs
>>
>>28992262
>digimon and pokemon are designed to appeal to edgy horny 12 year olds.

fixed it for you
>>
File: 1449295290322.png (342KB, 452x402px) Image search: [Google]
1449295290322.png
342KB, 452x402px
>>28992262
>>28992291
Anything can make you horny if you try hard enough.
>>
digimon are overdesigned pieces of shit
>>
>>28992262
>Appeal
Funny you mentioned that, considering how many people would claim how this or that Pokemon is trying to appeal to horny 12-years old.
>>
>>28991863
There is a gun Pokémon
>>
File: Tokomon.jpg (32KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Tokomon.jpg
32KB, 320x320px
What is the best Digimon and why is it Tokomon?
>>
>>28991863
>no gun Pokemon
>what are Blastoise, Remoraid, Octillery, and Clawitzer
>>
>>28992291
Honestly this

People just get really pretentious with Pokemon designs even though you guys have shit like Zoroark, Gardevoir or Braixen.
>>
>>28991547
Simple designs are just easier to remember. And there's an incredible amount of Digimon compared to Pokemon. Most people will only remember main Digimon from the show, but will not remember more than that because they either only show up once or play a pivotal role in other Digimon media that many who watched the original series never interacted with.
>>
>>28992262
Outside of the Lady Devimon and Angewoman lines, I don't really see it.
>>
>>28992038
How many of these flop creatures are there anyway
>>
>>28992351
Blackwargreymon and Terriermon.
>>
>>28991547
I feel like Pokemon manages to balance out the cartoony aspects and the monster aspects of the designs better.
>>
>>28992377
Too many.
>>
>>28992376
Stay deluded. Girls in bodysuits are considered digital monsters in this franchise
>>
>>28992390
I disagree, Pokemon tend to often look more like just an animal with a few erroneous design choices. They don't really look like monsters at all. Digimon always look like some sort of weird cartoony monster, no matter what it's based on.
>>
>>28992406
Wow, 20 "girl" Digimon in a sea of 2000 monsters. Definitely made to fap.
>>
>>28992358
As shitty as Zoroark, Braixen, and Gardevoir are, at least me cosplaying as one of them isn't a Pokemon.
>>
>>28992354
those are all animal based pokemon

I'm talking about an actual gun object based pokemon
>>
>Post favorite Royal knight

>>28992406
You already explained it, Digimon are made of data of fucking course they can be all sort of crazy stuff they want to evolve.
>>
>>28992448
Examon, Dukemon and Ulforceveedramon.
>>
File: 747px-Jesmon_cs.jpg (70KB, 747x600px) Image search: [Google]
747px-Jesmon_cs.jpg
70KB, 747x600px
>>28992448
>>
>>28992406
Look, I'm sorry, I don't know many Digis. You could calmly just show some examples and I'd probably get in line. No need to be a dick.
>>
>>28992474
Good taste.
>>
>>28992435
>>28992448
Then it's not really just those two mentioned, is it? Besides it's not just "20", there are way more but you'll still defend it so whatever
>>
>>28992448
>favorite Royal knight
As of Cyber Sleuth, Lordknightmon
What's best Bancho and why is it BanchoStingmon?
>>
Simpler shapes and colour palettes make them easier to recognize and more iconic. Also the consistency between the evolutions is better with Pokémon. Each character is as important as the other in terms of the design process in Pokémon whilst some Digimon are often left feeling incomplete or lacking.
>>
>>28992377
Well, you know how many Pokemon there are now? Digimon has roughly twice of that number.
>>
File: 1472629373888.jpg (40KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1472629373888.jpg
40KB, 550x512px
>>28992560
>Pokémon still gets the "there's too many of them lol shoe Pokémon" joke
>>
Digimon design are better
pokemon is shit
>>
>>28992526
>What's best Bancho and why is it BanchoStingmon?

BanchoLillymon has Zettai Ryoiki as an attack. She wins.
>>
>>28992560
Is there a place where I can find a list of all digimon? Kinda like a pokedex but for digimons. Surely that exists.
>>
File: pokemonvsdigimon.png (341KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
pokemonvsdigimon.png
341KB, 900x900px
>>
>>28992690
http://wikimon.net/Visual_List_of_Digimon
This is the closest you'll get without reading moon. Some of them are not actually digimon.
>>
File: Sayo_b.jpg (74KB, 344x934px) Image search: [Google]
Sayo_b.jpg
74KB, 344x934px
Instead of shitting on both franchise creatures like always let's talk about a subject that matters.

Let's compare and talk about girls from both franchises.
>>
>>28992690
The only place I can say that fits would be the Wiki. Aside from that, I don't really know.
>>
>>28992745
>mudkip is based on an axolotl
>>
>>28992778
Digimon appeals to people who like older women.

Pokemon appeals to people who like younger girls.

There are overlaps, sure, but it's the general - or rather, my - view on this.
>>
>>28992778
Maybe it is because I'm just more used to Pokemon, but I had a hard time finding any that stood out to me. The retard from the other universe was probably my favorite.
>>
>>28991547
Pokemon tend to be much simpler and cleaner designs, pokemon is also the much more consistent franchise. Digimon has very wildly fluctuating content in both its games and anime while pokemon is the exact opposite. To think it took 20 years to get out of the 8 gyms plus e4 then champion model and compare it to all of the different shit digimon has done just seems ridiculous.
>>
>>28991547
when digimon are designed, they arent designed to sell plush or figures. that time comes when it comes. pokemon on the other hand, has to survive if their game fails or some other reason. that's why they made a huggy bear this gen with a crushing backstory
>>
>>28991949
>didn't care for the Digimon World games
Who hates fun?
>>
File: maxresdefault-1024x576.jpg (91KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1024x576.jpg
91KB, 1024x576px
>>28992866
Its pretty ironic because I have seen a lot of people who prefer older girls in the pokemon series like Cynthia or Sabrina, but I can see were are you getting at, the most popular girls in the series tend to be mostly the protagonist ones.

With Digimon I think the preferences are more diverse taste, a lot of then like the older girls, some of then like the younger ones too but also a lot of people really like the women-like Digimon like Angewomon or Sakuya.

Still both series have some really great women at their disposal for each taste.
>>
Thankfully Cyber Sleuth was good because holy shit, the DS games were awful.
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 900x319px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 900x319px
It's definitely the complicated designs of digimon.

I was honestly a fan of "you only get one, but it has a million different forms".

Pic related: my favorite.
>>
File: 1.jpg (97KB, 600x493px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
97KB, 600x493px
This was the first batch of digimon that came out with the original vpet
>>
File: Charizard_VS_Greymon.png (391KB, 750x421px) Image search: [Google]
Charizard_VS_Greymon.png
391KB, 750x421px
I only seen some episodes of Digimon as a kid, so I remember only a few things about it. But I wanted to watch the anime, because I liked it more than pokemon. God, I hated Ash.

Anyway, what should I watch? The entire series? Only the first? Also, are there any games I should play?
>>
>>28991547
More emphasis on shapes than on details.
>>
File: seducing_larry.png (150KB, 362x348px) Image search: [Google]
seducing_larry.png
150KB, 362x348px
>>28991547
>Bandai Namco logo
>Gen 1

Also, where the fuck does Capcom fit into the equation? Do they need to be the developer?
>>
>>28994824
Just watch from the start of season 1 on Netflix.

It is definitely for kids, but me and my pal had a good time laughing at the bad puns and general stupidity of the kids. The Pokemon anime itself is sorta cleverly written with a few adult jokes that flew over my head as a kid. I'd say...

Pokemon anime = Digimon anime

The only difference is the Digimon kids act more like actual kids and their situation starts getting pretty serious and dark and shit.

Pokemon dips its toe in the "shit gets deep" pool, but maintains it's light hearted/comedic episodic status quo. The only time Pokemon ever gets on Digimon's level of "Save the world or Die Try'in" is the Pokemon movies.
>>
>>28994893
Ok thanks. Someone told me in the most recents seasons the people were the digimon or some shit like that, so I think I'll watch only the olders seasons
>>
>>28993938
Patrician taste.
>>
>>28995002
>Someone told me in the most recents seasons the people were the digimon or some shit like that

oh yeah, okay. Every new season, the kids grow older. The first season kids eventually become adults later on.

I forget which season exactly but I think 5? That's when they get a whole new line of kids with new special mons for them, new digimon gadgets, and the storyline just gets darker and shit. This is the one the fox waifu digimon. Renamon?

After that season, the one I immensly enjoyed as a kid is the one you are talking about. New cast of kids, mostly boys and 1 girl get a digi gadget that turns them into gajinka digimon. I thought it was cool as fuck but a part of kid me missed the digimon buddy pair ups. Have not rewatched this as an adult, so I can't say if that season is good or not.
>>
>>28995143
Is there any bad season or not worth watching?
>>
>>28992441
>I'm talking about an actual gun object based pokemon
Not him, but Remoraid is based on a pistol and Octillery on a cannon.

Still, I got what you meant - those are still animal-based too.
>>
Digimon are too similar to one another in concept, and too complex in design. Pokemon are more diverse (despite there being quite a lot of repeated themes)
>>
>>28995198
I can't say much. But season 1, 2, and 3 are the safest bet for being decent.
>>
>>28995002
People become Digimon is Frontier
People fuse with Digimon is Tamers
>>
>>28995236
>>28995273
Thanks lads, I'll watch some digimon then
>>
Strictly talking about monster design, it's a fundamental difference.

Pokemon has simple, direct evolutionary lines that go along one design that looks like the same thing growing up in stages, mostly.

And while a fair amount of this can be said for the Digidestined partners, which are the most iconic Digimon, there's too much stuff that doesn't look related in its evolution and the extreme branching mess of digivolution charts make it a lot harder to associate digimon lines and remember "families."
>>
>>28995143

That's season 3. Tamers. Tamers is considered the must watch season. It was directed by Serial Experiment Lain's creator Chiaki J. Konaka and a really solid show all around.

>Adventure
>Adventure 02
>Tamers
>Frontier
>Savers
>Xros Wars
>Xros Wars The Young Hunters Leaping Through Time
>Tri

>>28995198
02 is shit when you don't have nostalgia but it does have it's moments and some nice designs and fight scenes. It just falls apart in it's second half because they clearly didn't really know what they wanted to do. Really only worth watching if you want to see where the original kids go after Adventure. Probably will need some knowledge for if you want to watch Tri too. Like the new kids, and the new D3s. Though Tri is mostly glossing over them at the moment.

Avoid Xros's second show. Absolute trash. It was billed as a crossover season and then the crossover only happens in the last episode.

Frontier isn't really that bad but it's incredibly different and it's last third or so has an arc that is absolute garbage until it reaches the finale. If you like toku though I'd say to give it a watch.

Other than that they're all pretty good. With Adventure you have to wait until after the Devimon arc for it to really take off so I'll say give it some time. The show really finds a strong footing 14-15 episodes in. Same with Tri. First eight episodes are slow, the next set are great.
>>
>>28995143
>I forget which season exactly but I think 5?
I think you meant the third season (Tamers). It's the first one where Renamon made her appearance I believe.

>>28995198
The general agreement within /vp/ - which isn't much, but that's not the point - is that the third arc of Xros War (The Boy Hunters Who Leapt Through Time) is in particular very... hard to accept.
>>
>>28995401
>>28995443
Yeah ok, I know there won't be much consensus here, but I already have at the very an ideia of what to expect from it
>>
>>28995443
That's everywhere. It killed the good faith Xros built up with people at the time. In America and Japan. It didn't help that Toei rode on the back of Gokaiger's popularity and promoted that it was a big crossover season to give it an extra boost even though it wasn't.
>>
>>28995401
I liked Frontier up until it became The Takuya and Kouji Show

JP and Zoe had my favorite forms and I hated that they became glorified cheerleaders
>>
>>28995564
I hated that too. It's where the show really falls apart because the first chunk of the show treats everyone pretty fairly. It didn't help that Takuya and Kouji were the only two that really had toys to push.

I'd love to read more about Frontier's production. I've never been able to really find much behind the scenes material on it.
>>
>>28995655
As far as I know, there is a lot of stuff that wasn't used in the main show, like the fact that the others characters apart of Takuja and Kouji had their respective final forms and everything.

Also the fact that there were some legendary spirits that they never got to use in the main show and only were featured in some videogames.
>>
>>28991547
The first thing that comes to mind is the fact that most digimon lines can bleed into one another. When you start getting into having half a dozen digivolutions for each mon, you start losing track of the lower end ones, and can only remember the ones highlighted in the anime ( think greymon and garurumon).

Pokemon, on the other hand, has each line for the most part being unique. Pichu turns into pikachu turns into raichu. That doesn't change in all the games ( even if SM change the typings a bit ) and can be remembered with relative ease.
>>
>>28995739
Every spirit has a Legendary form and a fusion form. I've heard the low sales and bad reception caused them to cut them from the show but I never had a source on it.

The show always felt like, to me, "We just made a shit ton of money thanks to Gaoranger and Kamen Rider is huge. We want a Digimon like them. So it can make a lot of money." without thinking of the consequences of drastically changing the franchise.

I would assume the final forms in Tamers being popular could have been a key reason as well, but I honestly don't know how the Japanese reacted to Tamers.
>>
>>28991547
hmm there are certain instances where you are wrong though. i mean the starter pokemon are all pretty recognizable especially first gen but if you showed someone who hadn't played or watched either a picture of terriermon or something and a picture of piplup then they would probably just think they are both pokemon because pokemon got extremely popular while digimons popularity was more based around virtual pets, excluding both animes.

so show someone who knows what both are a picture of greymon and a picture of some literally who 4th or 5th gen pokemon and they'll probably assume they are both digimon.
>>
>>28991547
digimon are shit ugly
>>
>>28992448
Is it OK if my favorite is the one who made the order of the royal knights?
>>
>>28995813
I think this is the biggest obstacle for getting beyond mascot recognition for most people. Agumon alone has a hellish web of dinosaurs with "Greymon" in their name in the same branch line as it, even without starting back at Botamon. To make things worse, a number of things with "Greymon" in their name don't even relate to the branch family! It also doesn't help that a number of them aren't part of any recognizable "chain", and are instead kind of loners that happen to also digivolve from other things. The easiest Digimon to remember, and probably the most liked ones are probably those with that easily defined chain to follow, like as someone mentioned, the Kabuterimon line, or the Tyranomon line. Weird one-off shit like Marine Angemon, or Nanimon are hard to remember because they basically exist in a vacuum, Digimon's equivalent to shit like Stantler, basically.
>>
>>28991547
I always thought digimon were more recognizable. I remember every main character digimon, even from the later seasons which I never really watched. It's the shitty mecha evolutions that ruin the franchise.
>>
You cant get a cute miko fox girl out of something that started out as a pink ball with eyes, turned into a cyborg t-rex and fused with a satan-looking nigga that evolved out of literal shit.
>>
Pokemon are more simple and have clear themes.
I like Digimon, too.
>>
>>28995401
What's the deal with Tri? I remember Adventure 02 having an epilogue where the main characters were in their 30's. Is Tri meant to be set in between that or is it non-canon to the original show?
>>
>>28992448
I'm boring with Omegamon because it's the one that is closest to my favourite of ZeedGarurumon.

>>28996716
As long as you know that is Imperialdramon Paladin Mode and not Alphamon, yes, it's perfectly fine.
>>
>>28994824
Digimon anime is way superior to the Pokemon one
>>
I dunno about Digimon, but I'd buy a Pokémon-style "Catch 'Em All" game with its older brother, Tamagotchi. Still over a thousand of the fuckers in that (including some that are based on other licensed properties)!
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.