[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The most pandered Pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

File: PokeSSB.jpg (129KB, 1280x708px) Image search: [Google]
PokeSSB.jpg
129KB, 1280x708px
It seems like the only Pokemon that appear in SSB are the most pandered ones.
My question is, which one has been pandered the most and why is it Pikachu?
Keep this related to games only, appearance in the Anime does not count.
>>
>>28937975
>Jigglypuff
>Pandered to at all
>>
>>28937975
Jiggylypuff hasn't been pandered at all, so that takes it out of the contest.

I'd say it comes down between Lucario and Pikachu, and Pikachu wins.
>>
>>28937975
>Keep this related to games only, appearance in the Anime does not count.
But you can't do that with Pokemon. Pokemon isn't just the games, it's a whole franchise. You can't just look at one aspect in isolation. Pikachu is pandered to because it's got a significant role in the anime. Same with the others in that pic.
>>
>>28937975
>and why is it Pikachu?
Cause Pikachu is the franchise's mascot?
>>
>>28938023
Jigglypuff is the only pure SSBmon. Not sure why people want it gone, it's the only one I can look use without feeling disgusted, save mewtwo
>>
pikachu and jigglypuff have been in smash since 64 of course they are going to be in every smash bros game, gotta keep the original 12
>>
>>28938023
>>28938038
It's pandering to Smashfags
>>
>>28938041
But the anime is made by a Team completely different from the one making the games. If you were to take anime into consideration, you would have to take all of the thousands of Manga in consideration as well.
>>
The Smash incarnations of most of the Pokemon are bland and uninspired as fuck, honestly. You've got characters like Mega Man and Ryu who have an insane amount of stuff taken from the source material and then you've got Charizard which in smash, is literally just Dragon: The Character. We can't forget Lucario: the sort of but not really monk character made obsolete by Ryu being a better him.
>>
>>28938044
>Jigglypuff is the only pure SSBmon
What does that even mean?

>it's the only one I can look use without feeling disgusted, save mewtwo
Oh, I see. It meant you were a faggot.
>>
>>28938153
See, you're excuse may have held water any day before today.

Now though, Ash Greninja is a thing, and you can bet it will become Greninja's new Final Smash in the next game.
>>
>everything's pandering
I don't think /vp/ has any clue as to the actual meaning of the word.
>>
>>28938223
It's just an event 'mon, anon.
It isn't the first time a Pokemon or form appeared in the anime before appearing in the games. It's just advertisement. Steven also mentions Alain in-game, but that doesn't really make the two things same.

>>28938254
Does it matter what the word means as long as it gets the message across?
>>
>>28937975
>Jigglypuff is top 6 most pandered.

What, are we back in 1999? Hey guys, did you hear about that new Nintendo fighting game? They say you can make Mario and Zelda actually fight each other. I heard there gonna have like, all the pokemon in it. Dude, I'm gonna pick Mewtwo and kick everyone's ass.
>>
>>28938259
>It doesn't count! Not at all!

Sorry, you don't get to discount it. Face it, no other Pokemon media gets referenced besides the anime. Special and all others are inconsequential.
The anime matters.
>>
File: 1447196538999.jpg (622KB, 1220x800px) Image search: [Google]
1447196538999.jpg
622KB, 1220x800px
>>28937975
That's only true for Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja.
Pikachu is fucking Pikachu, Jigglypuff is a smash veteran so she's never going to get taken out, and mewtwo is just a melee veteran.
You need to see the game not through a pokemon lense but a smash one.
>>
Jigglypuff is none pandered at all maybe back in the day but that's because she was actually REALLY popular??? If not were lucky she's an original roster member of SSH otherwise you know she'd be taken the fuck out, they have been shafting and trying to ignore her for years...
>>
>>28938259
>Does it matter what the word means as long as it gets the message across?
Yes.
>>
>>28938062
>smash panders to smash fans
Wew what a crime
>>
>>28938290
Because it's the most popular one. The anime has been referenced for a time long before Greninja, in form of Pokemon Yellow. If that didn't make anime important, a demo only Greninja shouldn't either.

Anyway, let's just go with this. I'll consider the anime counts, but I wanted to know what Pokemon was pandered the most in the games. Is that okay?
>>
>>28938365
>I'll admit that anime counts
Had to change the line after I typed it, so it came out that way. Sorry.
>>
File: 1475340138196.png (2MB, 2000x1126px) Image search: [Google]
1475340138196.png
2MB, 2000x1126px
>>28937975
>Pikachu
Got it's own game, unique move, unique Z-move, own Item, Cosplay variants and Alolan Raichu.

>Lucario
Own move, pandered to be Legendary in MD and got a Mega Evolution.

>Charizard
Uh, 2 Megas?

>Mewtwo
Again, 2 Megas? It is a Legendary, so it being special is kind of justified.

>Greninja
Special form?

Looking at this way, most of these Pokemon are only really pandered in the anime. The anime is source of all evil.
Makes me feel bad for some of these Pokemon. They get so much hate only because they appeared in the anime.
>>
>>28937975
Are you retarded? Charizard has been pandered way more than Pikachu. Fucking lizard.
>>
>>28938453
T. Shitzardfag
>>
File: 1433073335957.jpg (23KB, 369x368px) Image search: [Google]
1433073335957.jpg
23KB, 369x368px
>>28938204
Hit the nail right in the head, there. But admittedly, most of the new DLC characters seem to have been give way more thought overall, so it's a nearly unfair comparison. That being said, i remember just how disappointed i was when i actually had some gameplay time with Greninja. It went something like:

>Man! This thing looks like it has a lot of moveset potential with the Ninja trickery. It'd be awesome if they also found a way to implement the type changing granted by Protean in the game.
>It doesn't? Well, it was too much to ask for anyway. At least we get other Ninja stuff. Maybe it'd be cool if you could summon a momentary Double Team clone a la Ice Climbers and could alternate position position between the two.
>Well, it turns out it's not that, but it does have Shadow Sneak. It looks like it will be mainly a mobility tool so you can appear behind people when they least expect it and start out some mean combos.
>Well, it turned out to be a disappointing teleporting kick with no followup. Maybe Substitute will be neat. Sacrificing HP for a a scapegoat doll that grant you relative invulnerability with the downside being that if they destroy the doll you're stuck in a popped shield animation.
>... it was another damn counter... Well, maybe you can use his tongue for slower, longer range attacks. Hell maybe you can even switch stances or something. Like having a harder-hitting unscarfed mode that attack primarily with his tongue and has a tether grab, and a faster combo happy scarfed mode.
>It's just Swords Up, Swords Down and Sword Side, never even uses the tongue for anything.

Most pokemon are so neutered in terms of potential. But this one was especially sad.
>>
There is no "pandering" in Pokemon, as much as /vp/ loves the word.

It's marketing, merchandising. They want to sell games, plushes, plastic, commerical space. It's not about favoritism or GF indulging in Charizard-worship or whatever you people think they're trying to do. It's about $$$. Same for why there are always gonna be references to the original games in the newer knows: it's good advertising.
>>
>>28938453
>Makes me feel bad for some of these Pokemon. They get so much hate only because they appeared in the anime.
They also get way more love than hate.
>>
>>28938204
>>28938678
I feel the exact opposite way. The newer characters besides Bayonetta, Duck Hunt, Rosalina, Lil Mac and maybe Shulk feel way overdone to me. Swiss army characters like Megaman, Wii Fit, Koopa Kids are awkward to me.

I love the Pokemon in Smash because they tend to be a little more minimal and animalistic, they feel more physically "there" and control smoothly. Pikachu and Mewtwo could stand to be a little flashier, though.
>>
Honestly, I do think the movesets could use some work, but I honestly can't think of any more pokemon that would work in Smash. All of them have great moveset potential and are decently popular(except jiggly but she's popular now). Sure someone like Empoleon would be cool af but it's just not iconic enough. Only other pokemon I could see working is maybe Robinowl's final form. Everything else is just nonsense from a fanboy.
>>
>>28937975
It's jigglypuff if we're talking solely Smash.
Pikachu is the mascot of the franchise
Mewtwo and Charizard are legitimately two of the most popular Pokemon in the franchise.
Lucario is constangly brought into plot relevance and is the first Mega you use since it's introduction.
Greninja was the starter of a brand new gen.

Jigglypuff has no reason to be in Smash outside of being in muh 'riginal 12. She's the only one of that 12 without her own game and she has been irrelevant to the franchise for years and haven't ranked well in an official favorite list in well over a decade. her inclusion is the equivalent of making a goomba playable at this point.

She stays in because they are pandering to fans of the first Pokemon games but fans of the first Smash Game. In a game where you are supposed to fight nintendo's "all stars" and more recently, GAMING "all stars" Jigglypuff sticks out like a sore thumb in how much she isn't one.
>>
>>28938715
But they are hated for all the wrong reasons. If they were hated for bad design, like Lucario, or being overall weak, like Pikachu, I could understand that. But the Greninja, Charizard and Mewtwo has overall good design and 2 of them are Ubers.
>>
>>28937975
Only an underage wouldn't know that Pikachu has been the franchise mascot since the beginning.
>>
>>28938767
Sylveon could work wonderfully, though it's too late for that. Squirtle should be brought back and Bulbasaur should be in there in place of Ivy. Mew used to be a highly requested Smash fighter and is still iconic and versatile enough. People would also love to see Gengar or Haunter, or Gardevoir frankly.

I agree that Rowl3t will probably be the next Smashmon, no question.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 500x477px
>>28938808
Leave Jigglypuff the fuck alone you lowdown slugnothing rationalizing whiner. And a playable Goomba in Smash would be a fucking amazing time.
>>
>>28937975
Pikachu is pandered and all, but doesn't even come close to the level of pandering Charizard gets. That fat lizard was the version mascot of TWO game and got TWO Megas, and that's just tip of the amount of pandering that shit gets.
>>
>>28937975

Pikachu is the franchise mascot. You're thinking of Charizard and Greninja.
>>
File: 1469690211670.gif (860KB, 540x303px) Image search: [Google]
1469690211670.gif
860KB, 540x303px
>>28937975
Pikachu and even mewtwo make perfect sense. The degree to which they're pandered to is fair. As everyone else says, Pikachu is the series maschot and Mewtwo is almost like the final boss of the first game. It gets alot of build up and the events lead you directly to it in a way.

But Greninja and Charizard are pretty much unforgivable to me. They are both a part of TRIOS. There's no reason why Blastoise and Venusaur shouldnt also have two Megas. Why not give Delphox and Chesnaut weird syncrho forms? Who gives a shit if it wasnt in the anime, why give Greninja such special treatment.

And this is coming form someone who legitimately LIKES Greninja as a pokemon.
>>
>>28938046
Actually, Mashedpotato Samurai said something like
>Jiggs is the most likely to get the boot.
>We only stuck with her because she's one of the easiest character to model for a given amount of time
This has always been the case since Brawl
>>
File: 1472749665798.png (274KB, 900x654px) Image search: [Google]
1472749665798.png
274KB, 900x654px
>>28940903
>They are both a part of TRIOS
>Implying all Pokemon in all trios are equal
While I agree that only Charizard and Greninja shouldn't have gotten special treatment, trios in Pokemon always had one who got special treatment.
Like Rayquaza, with higher stats and a Mega form.
Like Giratina, the only one able to change forms.
Like Kyurem, the one who could fuse with the others.
Like Zygarde, who gets multiple forms.

>There's no reason why Blastoise and Venusaur shouldnt also have two Megas. Why not give Delphox and Chesnaut weird syncrho forms?
If GF did that, there would other complains.
Like why give only Kanto starters 2 Megas, while Johto, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos starters don't have even get one.
Or why give only Kalos starters special forms.
If they were to give these forms to every starter, people would complain that starters in general are getting pandered.

In the end, being completely fair isn't as easy as you might think. There will always be some Pokemon that get special treatment, just like how the main characters any story gets more attention compared to the supporting characters.
All we can do is either deal with and hope the one you like gets some attention someday or be irrational and blame the Pokemon for being popular.

Whatever you decide to do, here, have a nice image of May.
>>
>>28938808
>making a Goomba playable
>says that like it's a bad thing
>>
>>28937975
Why are people so mad about this "pandering"? Why is anti-pandering a meme now? You want your shitmon to be pandered to? Is that it? You want to fucking play as Shiftry in Smash or something? Give me a break. People who whine about this sort of trivial shit are worse than the normalfags who are being pandered to, and they don't even give a shit either way.
>>
>>28941173
People are butthurt about the fact that their favorite isn't popular and getting attention.
They don't understand that a game in which all characters are treated equally doesn't and never will exist.
>>
>>28938678
>Shadow Sneak being a combo tool
>That Double Team idea

Well shit, now I'm disappointed too, those sound cool as hell.
>>
>>28941142

Zygarde being a zen mode clone isn't pandering done right.

GF even broke the lore, the 10% is also just a temporary forme, but they broke that so they could just as well do the same for Perfect Zygarde and not make it fug level either, but actually viable. Aura Break should had been buffed too and been its ability.

If they ever gonna do the Zygarde pandering right, then they should make the Cube possible to maintain the Perfect forme. It wouldn't make sense that the player who have collected all the cores and cells cannot possess the Perfect forme unless it is in a battle where its gimmicky ability activates.
>>
>>28941142
Someone gets it, at least.
>>
Those are the most popular/recognizable Pokemon. Why wouldn't they use them?
>>
dont worry anon discount kirby is getting the boot and ashgreninja is replacing it
>>
>>28937975
The only one of these who bothers me is Grenigger because his popularity and subsequent shilling seem completely engineered. Lucario is kind of like that too, but it wasn't that forced initially.
>>
>>28938208
>What does that even mean?
It means Jigglypuff has more relevance in Smash than in its own franchise.
>>
>>28943914
because muh favourite mon and fuck charizard
>>
>>28944186
>Lucario is kind of like that too, but it wasn't that forced initially.
>wasn't that forced initially.

Anon, we went over this yesterday, Lucario is the most forced Pokemon in existence.
-One of the first two revealed for Diamond/Pearl
-Had it's own movie a year before the games came out
-Shilled in every subsequent gen and is often gifted to the player/ signature Pokemon of multiple in-game trainers
>>
It's not seems like, Sakurai has said several times that the Pokemon Company holds a controlling stake in Pokemon and thus dictate to him what pokemon he can and can't use and how.
>>
>>28938676
t. Nigger
>>
>>28945132
>Sakurai has said several times that the Pokemon Company holds a controlling stake in Pokemon and thus dictate to him what pokemon he can and can't use and how.

Nice source there friendo
>>
>>28938908
You don't really think a goomba being playable in smash is fun.

Even if you did, the idea of a goomba being a playable character over someone like say Toad is rediculous.

This is Jigglypuff.
At this point there are many, many relevant Pokemon to have in smash and yet we're left with her just because she's one of the 'riginal 12 and nothing else.
>>
>>28944886
What the anon meant was that "Greninja is forced, similar to how Lucario was forced, but Greninja wasn't forced as much initially."
I know, the anon worded it poorly. It would confuse anyone.
>>
i'd have to say that pikachu, charizard, lucario and fucking gengar. i fucking despise the existence of the last 2. one being a furbait and the other being an overrated edgy piece of shit that seems to be buffed every gen just because is sugi's favorite
>>
>>28945173
It's also why Pokemon Amiibo don't really do a whole lot.
I'll be curious if Sun and Moon will even bother.
>>
>>28945282
>Nice source there friendo
>>
>>28945173
Let me look for the interview. I remember reading something similar too. He was asked if he knew about all of the Generation 6 Pokemon before the release, since he had to add one in his game.
>>
>>28945309
Sorry, meant to reply to >>28945173
>>
>>28945309
>>28945331
ty
>>
To think if they had waited long enough, they could have had Greninja's Final Smash be turn into Ash-Greninja to get a buffed moveset for a few seconds.
>>
>>28945697
Do you not like Mat Block?
>>
>>28945173
I didn't find the exact statement, but this is what I found. But I did find a few things indicating that the Pokemon Company is involved quite a bit in deciding what Pokemon will be used and what moves it will have, and that the Pokemon Company essentially have a spot reserved for a new Pokemon in Smash.

>We knew there was going to be a new release soon, so we left one spot open for a new Pokémon, and everything else continued according to plan.

>Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company. What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front.

>For example Greninja, even before his name was decided I received several illustrations. I took them home in the evening and around midnight I had already done all his actions, normal moves, special moves and pose-pictures and sent them around asking “What do you think?”.

So he clearly asks the Pokemon Company about what Pokemon he should add and if they like the moves he's decided. The Pokemon Company doesn't seem to be in-charge of this, but they choose the moves and Pokemon.

Now the links to the sources.
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/
https://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/31/sakurai-talks-about-the-inclusion-of-greninja-in-super-smash-bros/
https://www.gamnesia.com/news/how-does-sakurai-choose-pokemon-to-smash
>>
>>28945877
Wow that's not at all what >>28945132 said, but thanks anyway?
>>
>>28945943
Yeah, he said that the Pokemon Company is the on deciding, it seems like the most they do is suggest things.
And I spent good 10-15 minutes finding these. I wasn't not going to post them.
>>
>>28938808
Jigglypuff has a fun and unique moveset, fuck off
>>
File: IMG_2404.jpg (154KB, 950x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2404.jpg
154KB, 950x1000px
>people saying jigglypuff doesn't get pandered

Explain why clefairy is completely fucking shunned in any and all media related to the games but this thing is plastered everywhere.
>>
>>28946700
clefairy is fugly
>>
>>28938808
>only one of the 12 without own game
Are we just ignoring that Luigi didn't have his own game until the console gen after or what?
>>
Greninja's tounge-scarf in the OP makes him look like he has gigantic lips.
>>
File: 1475486762426.jpg (26KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1475486762426.jpg
26KB, 600x375px
>>28938023
>Anime doesn't count
Yes it does, specially in Smash Bros.
>Pokémon say their names out loud like in the anime
>Mewtwo and Lucario speak like in their respective movies
>Charizard just grunts like in the anime
>Ash was going to be in Brawl but GameFreak told Sakurai to change it for Red/Pokémon Trainer
>Misty had a trophy in Melee wearing her anime outfit
>Jigglypuff was most likely added to Smash 64 due to the popularity of her recurring "singing and marker" gag in the anime

>>28938044
>>28938023
Jigglypuff is one of the original 12 characters. She will literally never leave the roster.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.