[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fairyfags and Game Freak apologists win

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: 1475174643838.jpg (114KB, 959x832px) Image search: [Google]
1475174643838.jpg
114KB, 959x832px
After 3 years of shitposting about how Fairy is the most inconsistent type and has no central theme, I have to concede that the type does feel more thematically unified than Psychic, Dragon, and Dark.

And I guess after weird Gen 7 shit like the whole Rockruff family not having secondary types, stuff like Blissey and the lake guardians not being Fairy feels less strange than it used to.
>>
>>28856452
The only fairies that don't make sense to me are Snubbull and Granbull.
>>
>>28856468
They're literally called "the Fairy Pokémon" anon
>>
>>28856452
>the type does feel more thematically unified than Psychic, Dragon, and Dark.

It isn't, though.

Dragons are all either reptiles or based on some thing in real life that has a name relating to dragons or is a dragon based pun.

Dark types are all underhanded fighters or live in literal darkness

Psychic types are just that- psychic.

Fairy is all over the fucking place. It's cutemons, but not all cutemons. A lot of them are feminine, but not all feminine. There's literally no reason something like Dedenne is a Fairy but Blissey isn't. And it's made worse by the fact that they didn't even re-type legendaries that are literally based on fairies.
>>
>>28856530

>dragons are all either reptiles

>what is garchomp
>what is vibrava
>what is flygon
>what is lati@s

>Dark Types are all underhanded fighters or live in literal darkness

It's supposed to be the '"they're not evil just misunderstood XDDDDDDD" but then you have Hydreigon who's literally the BRUTAL Pokémon and attack everything indiscriminately.

Absol is supposed to be a good guy who tries to help people but he has a Dark typing.

Yveltal is literally the avatar of DEATH and DESTRUCTION.

Spiritomb is made of 108 EVIL people.

>Fairy is all over the fucking place

"As of Generation VI, there are 37 Fairy-type Pokémon or 5.1% of all Pokémon (counting those that are Fairy-type in at least one of their forms, including Mega Evolutions), making it the third rarest type, behind Ghost and Ice."

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fairy_(type)

>It's cutemons, but not all cutemons. A lot of them are feminine, but not all feminine.

It's based on European folklore.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fairy#English

>(uncountable, obsolete) The realm of faerie; enchantment, illusion.
>A mythical being with magical powers, known in many sizes and descriptions, although often depicted in modern illustrations only as small and spritely with gauze-like wings, and revered in some modern forms of paganism; a sprite.

Traditionaly in Europe faes were mystical beings who lived removed from humans and had mysterious powers. They run the gamut from evil beings to deceivers to pranksters to benevolent beings to creatures completely removed from human morality who don't see the harm they cause by making a human dance with them for eternity.

>There's literally no reason something like Dedenne is a Fairy but Blissey isn't.

True

>And it's made worse by the fact that they didn't even re-type legendaries that are literally based on fairies.

True again, Celebi is the archetypical Fairy.
>>
File: fug.png (189KB, 263x433px)
fug.png
189KB, 263x433px
>>28856530
>It isn't though

Altaria, Goodra, Flygon
>Dragons
>>
>>28856452
>most inconsistent
That's not Normal or Dark.
>>
>>28856810
Goodra is shaped like a Dragon and Flygon is a Dragonfly, I don't see how that's hard to grasp.
>>
>>28856855

Isn't Flygon based on antlions? Vibrava at least is.
>>
>>28856711
>>what is garchomp
>>what is vibrava
>>what is flygon
>>what is lati@s

These all look like dragons. What the fuck are you on about?

>It's supposed to be the '"they're not evil just misunderstood XDDDDDDD"
Says who?

>"As of Generation VI, there are 37 Fairy-type Pokémon or 5.1% of all Pokémon (counting those that are Fairy-type in at least one of their forms, including Mega Evolutions), making it the third rarest type, behind Ghost and Ice."
This has nothing to do with my point.

>It's based on European folklore.
No it's not. Azumarill and Dedenne have nothing to do with any kind of folklore and some of them are based on Japanese and Hawaiian folklore.

>>28856810
Goodra and Flygon clearly resemble dragons. Altaria is based on a dragon constellation given its Japanese name.
>>
File: hob2.jpg (61KB, 500x389px)
hob2.jpg
61KB, 500x389px
>>28856871
>antlions
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Most things that gave the fairy typing make sense. The only question is usually what they DON'T give it to, and that's usually for mechanical reasons.
>>
>>28856820
Normal felt pretty consistent until Drampa.
>>
>>28856927
>No it's not. Azumarill and Dedenne have nothing to do with any kind of folklore and some of them are based on Japanese and Hawaiian folklore
Like dragons, fairy is an umbrella term of sorts that can encompass various legendary creatures the world over. If anything, it can reasonably encompass even more things that dragon, and about the same amount of things as ghost. Just because you're too dumb to know that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. As for the Japanese thing in particular yokai are frequently likened to both ghosts and fairies so that's likely what the typing references in those cases. Dedenne and Azumarill are cute so that's the reason for their typing, neither would really be out of place as fairies in folklore either.
>>
>>28856969
Which is basically the same deal with Normal (e.g. Rockruff), Psychic (Golduck), Dragon (Charizard, Gyarados), and Dark (Lycanroc Midnight).
>>
>>28856927

>>28856927

>>28856927

>>28856927

You said they're based on reptiles

But Latias is a jet plane, Garchomp is a shark, Vibrava and Flygon are antlions.

That's the thing, Dark types are advertised as "living in darkness or just being underhanded" but a lot of them are evil or don't particularly act underhanded.

>"fairy type is all over the place"
>gets objective proof that the fairy type is rare
>"lol that has nothing to do with the point".

The idea is the same though, mystical mischievous monsters from folklore.
>>
>>28857078

Fuck I'm retarded I replied like 4 times. Fuck phones.
>>
>>28856452
Sometimes information is so easy and simple, just bulbapedia
Snubbull is based on a bulldog. Its category and type may reference the Cù Sìth, a mythological creature in Celtic mythology whose name literally translates to "dog fairy".
>>
>>28857140

This, GameFreak often picks up some really obscure sources for their Pokémon that only geniuses get.
>>
>>28857255
Fuck off, pomf
>>
>>28856969
This.

Things like Celebi, Uxie, Azelf, Mesprit, Blissey, Audino, Jirachi, Victini, etc., all look and act like dead-ringers for Fairies... and yet, here we are.
>>
>>28856490
they still don't look like fairies
>>
why Gardevoir line fairies but Gothitelle line Pyschic monotype and not Dark/Pyschic etc
>>
>>28857531
This is a fairy in celtic folklore.
Does it look like goddamn Tinkerbell to you? Go look up some European mythologies. Almost none of them look like a "fairy".

That said. Ghost/Fairy Dullahan when.
>>
>>28857140
>Its category and type may reference the Cù Sìth

No. They made it Fairy type because it's pink and its pre evolution is cute and feminine. That's it. Nobody brought up this Cu Sith bullshit until Fairy type happened and apologists needed to make up reasons for why GF did what they did. It doesn't even resemble Cu Sith in any way other than them just being dogs. By this logic you could justify just about anything being Fairy type just because there happens to be some other fairy animal.
>>
>>28857596
yes we all know of pokemon's notoriously deep roots in celtic lore.

And your point misses the entire premise of the argument since most of them DO look like "fairies"...like CleFAIRY
>>
>>28856530
Fairy is like 99% pink cuteblobs then a few cuteblobs of other colors, a waifumon, and some creatures from folklore.
>>
File: 250px-206Dunsparce.png (51KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-206Dunsparce.png
51KB, 250x250px
fairy 2nd type when?
>>
>>28856530
>Psychic types are just that- psychic.
What does that even mean in the context of Pokemon?
>>
>>28856959
What? The Trapinch line is based on the life cycle of antlions

they're basically the land-based versions of dragonflies
>>
>>28857635
>It doesn't even resemble Cu Sith
Goodra doesn't even resemble the dragon it's based on, yet it still has the Dragon type. When did a Pokemon have to 100% accurately look like the creature to connect it to a basis?
>>
>>28857891
>And your point misses the entire premise of the argument since most of them DO look like "fairies"
His point is that not all Fairies are cute and/or feminine, which applies to your original accusation of the Granbull line not looking like faires.

Do you know how to argument anon?
>>
>>28858101
>Goodra doesn't even resemble the dragon it's based on

It doesn't have to be based on a specific dragon. It's a fucking fictional lizard looking creature. That's exactly what a dragon is.

>>28858056
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic
>>
File: unnamed.png (140KB, 300x300px)
unnamed.png
140KB, 300x300px
>>28856927
>Azumarill and Dedenne have nothing to do with any kind of folklore
Azumarill is partly a moon rabbit. Its Huge Power ability even references mochi pounding.
>>
>>28858390
This.

This is also why Huge Power is only in Mega Mawile, the Azumarill line, and the Diggersby line. They're all "rabbits".
>>
>>28858433

>the JP name for Huge Power is "Chikaramochi"
>mochi

These puns are killing me
>>
>>28858433
Thinking of Mawile as a rabbit helps satisfy my autism and explain why it's considered Field/Fairy and not Human-Like/Fairy. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>28857635
>L I T E R A L L Y classified as the "Fairy Pokemon" since fucking 1999, 17 YEARS AGO
>"Nuh-uh, it's got nothing to do with fairies, it couldn't possibly be based on this fairy myth!!! It's only because it's PIIIIIIINK"

Kill yourself. And Granbull is lilac you retard.
>>
Flying is the least consistent type unless birds and shit it supposed to be consistent. Never common colors
>>
>>28856468
Oh but Marill, Dedenne, Mr. Mime, Cottonee and Tapu Koko seem like fairies to you?
>>
>>28856452
Fuck off Fairyfag, you're not fooling anyone here.
>>
Fairy type = Homosexual type
>>
>>28856452
Fairy is best type to be honest
>>
I wish the Fairy type was more folklore focused but then people would say "Literally Yokai Watch type"
>>
>>28856468
Snubull and Granbull are based on the Cu-sith
The Cu-sith is literally a fairy dog
>>
>>28861515
>>L I T E R A L L Y classified as the "Fairy Pokemon" since fucking 1999, 17 YEARS AGO

This has nothing to do with my point. Regardless of how long ago it was they still arbitrarily designated to be a fairy. You're basically arguing "it's a fairy because it's a fairy!"

>>28858433
Marill isn't a rabbit. Azurill isn't rabbit.

>>28858433
Mega Mawile isn't a rabbit either. They gave it Huge Power because it was the only way to make its mega not shit. Stop making up bullshit.
>>
>>28863980
this
>>28864054
I think it'll definitely become this in the future. And I think there's lots of different folklore and mythology from many other countries to avoid the whole Yokai watch thing.
>>
>>28856490
>it's the "Blastoise is a shellfish" episode again
>>
>>28858056
not him but in Japan its the ESP type so i'm guessing there's some sort of cosmic energy that flows throughout the pokemon universe and thats what psychic types are channeling and why a lot of space related pokemon are psychic. The Psychic name everywhere else probably just makes people think of it as strictly mental powers/telekinesis
>>
>>28865894
It does seem like the running theme for the psychic type, I agree. I'm pretty sure almost every pokemon in that type has some sort of telekinesis, levitation or mindreading ability. Or brain power enhanced by unknown mystical means.

Fairy type is based off of fairytales, folklore and mythology. It also contains "cute" pokemon and pokemon that contain healing qualities.

Normal pokemon don't really seem to have much of a theme, but I guess that's the whole point. It's the non-elemental type.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.