[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Snowy mountain next to a Desert, rocky and dry badlands, rain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 12

Snowy mountain next to a Desert, rocky and dry badlands, rain forest, foggy flower fields and hot beaches

Who designed this?
>>
the same people that designed electric rodents and combusting canines.
>>
>>28833273
/Thread
>>
>>28833260
Your point OP? The higher you are in altitude, the colder it gets.

It seems bizarre since Hawaii/Alolahas a rather tropical climate, but it does make sense.
>>
>>28833260
>Fantasy landscape
>Condensed region to compensate for game sizek
>>
File: Mauna_Kea_from_the_ocean.jpg (349KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Mauna_Kea_from_the_ocean.jpg
349KB, 1600x1200px
>>28833260
Snowy mountain next to a Desert, rocky and dry badlands, rain forest, foggy flower fields and hot beaches

Who designed this?
>>
>>28833260
>snowy mountain to a desert
You are aware that's how real life mountains and deserts work too, right?
>>
>>28833260
Have you seen California
>>
File: Rain_shadow_effect_2.png (281KB, 800x653px) Image search: [Google]
Rain_shadow_effect_2.png
281KB, 800x653px
>>28833260
>>
>>28833260
It all comes together.
>>
>>28833293
One of Hawaii's mountains gets snow
>>
>>28833303
This OP.
Take a geography course please.
>>
>>28833338
Was gonna post this
>>
>>28833387
Well that just proves furthermore that OP is a gay retard.
>>
File: Mata_Nui.jpg (975KB, 1024x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Mata_Nui.jpg
975KB, 1024x1280px
>>28833260
>Who designed this?

Lego
>>
>>28833260
That's more reasonable than the previous desert locations.
>>
>>28833618
those were the times
>>
>>28833338
Not that I dislike the game island design, but this only works for mountain ranges, not a single peak on an island.
>>
>>28833260
>snowy mountain next to a desert
WELCOME TO CHILE
>>
>>28834070
Unova's desert was obviously supposed to be Ground Zero.
>>
>>28833260
Have you never been near the Rockies? Do you know how altitude works?
>>
>>28834250
Ground Zero for what? Why were there ancient ruins right next to two cities? Why were there sandstorms next to a forest?
>>
>>28834395
>Why were there ancient ruins right next to two cities?
There could be ruins right below you right now anon. Ruins can be anywhere.
>>
>>28834395
Look at Unova, compare it to NYC, where would that desert be? I know it was before you were born, but think about it. It was just a few days ago.
>>
>>28834437
Just for clarification before you nitpick, this anon is saying the anniversary of the event happened a few days ago not the actual event.
>>
>>28834437
>>28834456
This is literally the first time I've heard of anything other than a nuclear detonation referred to as ground zero
>>
>>28834395
>>28834437
>>28834456
NINE ELEVEN. HE MEANT NINE ELEVEN FUCK YOU RETARDS
>>
>>28833301

Thank you

Kill yourself op
>>
>>28834480
Yes, and it was a few days ago, just like I said you shitflinger
>>
>>28834480
>spoonfeeding
>replying to the two anons that know what they're talking about
Are you retarded?
>>
>>28834480
>>28834522
>calling the twin towers / 9/11 "ground zero"
no seriously, what the fuck
>>
>>28834569
Are you seriously telling me that you weren't aware that the site of the Twin Towers is known as Ground Zero?
>>
>>28834569
that is what the area where the twin towers stood is called
>>
>>28834569
Ground Zero is a phrase used to refer to the epicenter of any major disaster you moron, it predates nuclear weapons.
Do you live under a fucking rock?
>>
>>28834600
maybe he's just truly underage
>>
>>28834250
[Spoiler]I thought it was Harlem because it's above all the actually fun areas of the main city[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1462993123643.png (86KB, 233x272px) Image search: [Google]
1462993123643.png
86KB, 233x272px
>>28834569
>literally googling Ground Zero has the WTC site come up
>>
This island doesn't really bother me. The problem with the mixing of the biomes is mostly that the island is relatively small, and this makes the transitions seem a bit fucked up.

In comparison, stuff like the pine tree filled "tropical rainforest" in ORAS is much worse.
>>
>>28834716
This is a video game anon.
>>
>>28833260
>Snowy mountain next to a Desert, rocky and dry badlands, rain forest, foggy flower fields and hot beaches
That's literally every Pokemon map, though.
>>
>>28834733
What is your point? Having cohesive world design and being a video game is not exclusive.
>>
>>28834716
>stuff like the pine tree filled "tropical rainforest" in ORAS is much worse.
I'll take "Washington State Rainforests" for 400, Alex
>>
File: Big island biomes.jpg (38KB, 554x400px) Image search: [Google]
Big island biomes.jpg
38KB, 554x400px
They kinda just reversed the climates. Keep in mind that this is a rainfall map. Shit like lava deserts and acid rain deserts are still not counted as actual deserts due to rainfall.
>>
>>28833301
/thread
>>
>>28834759
I'll take what is tropical for 800. You know, like the route description states it to be.

And besides, why would the route be inspired by that kind of forest? You can hardly argue that with Tropius and Kecleon and with the tall grass.
>>
>>28834622

Hit ctrl+s next time faggot.
>>
>>28834756
I doubt you'll find a game large enough to have what you want even the largest games yet have transitions straight into a new biome.. In any case Pokemon is clearly a stylized game not meant to reflect reality's environment 1:1. You're literally just nitpicking small details.
>>
>>28834797
On mobile. Clover update removed the auto spoiler button but added filters
>>
>>28834756
Islands have very varied climates, anon
>>
>>28834831
He's saying that they should slowly transition into it.
Like say seeing patches of snow appear while entering a snowy region.
>>
>>28834810

In the post I said I didn't even bother me. It does look a bit cluttered in the image, but it will probably transition a bit better in-game. Now, if you actually read my post instead of just reading whatever you wanted to read, you would have realized that.

As for ORAS, the problem isn't just one detail, but when you can nitpick a whole lot when it comes to the world design and overall aesthetics. That's not really related to this thread however, and merely served as an example of where they fucked up earlier that annoyed me more. Why even write it's a tropical forest when it's clearly not?

I would also hardly call that nitpicking. If I wanted to do that, I would say that the Alolan variants of Culpix make little sense given the choices of climate, and I can't really fathom why a Fire-type would actively seek out these cold environments when looking at previous icy environments in pokémon games. You could make a case for Sandshrew, as cold areas can be pretty dry even if there's snow, but I still find it unconvincing. This is of course besides the point that Alolan variants make no sense in retrospect with the other games (which is a much bigger complaint, also related to world building and coherence).

>>28834831
Another anon completely missing the point. I never once contested that, just that if the different biomes are clustered together, the transitions can look a bit forced. I never once implied this is unique to Alola either, in case someone brings that up.

>>28834867
This would be much preferrable overall, but I'm willing to concede some things. Other details like the one I mentioned about ORAS have no excuse.
>>
File: 6674410_7.jpg (37KB, 590x332px) Image search: [Google]
6674410_7.jpg
37KB, 590x332px
Tanzania, Africa
>>
>>28834924
TL;DR
>I don't understand nature and it frightens me...
>>
>>28833338
That's actually pretty darn neat, thanks for sharing.
>>
>>28834957
How the fuck did you read that from my post? Do you have the reading ability of a toddler?

I'm not really asking for very much coherence between the different biomes. This is mostly done as there is limited space (if the region was bigger, it would only lead to more walking really). Having a more gradual transition would be nice, but it's not really that of a big issue. However, I am asking that the zones themselves stay internally consistent. They have no excuse for that.
>>
>>28833260
This is my guess on how traveling through this island will go

So the boat takes you to the dock near the tower. From there you go to the town, fight Guzma at the tower, then leave the town. You go up the hill near the green building, visit the weather institute or whatever that place is, then go down the hill on the left, leading to the SnK town where the Team Skull takeover takes place. Then you go down the path with the streetlights, eventually visiting the water platform for what I presume will be some kind of encounter or Totem Pokemon battle. You reach the seaside bay, ride Sharpedo to the other side. Have your next encounter with Guzma outside the gray building. Go down the path leading to the Pokemon Center. I presume you will visit the broken down beach house at some point but for now you go up the escalator to reach the top of the mountain where I can only assume is another Totem Pokemon or Island Guardian encounter. After that you take the escalator back down, past the oasis, and ride Mudsdale up the rocky path, visit the power plant, go back onto the rocky path and keep going up, until you reach the forest area, and the forest leads you back to the port town.
>>
File: Kilaueaiki trail.jpg (83KB, 707x530px) Image search: [Google]
Kilaueaiki trail.jpg
83KB, 707x530px
>>28834924
To be fair, it seems more like gamefreak took the design of big island and either switched the direction of the rain shadow irl, or they were impressed enough by the pseudo deserts on the right side of the island, that they based the entire right side on them. Keep in mind that there are about 3 shield volcanoes, two of them, huge creating the rain shadow in real life. They seemed to have moved the volcano to a different island and replaced their mountain due to not wanting to many similar mountain levels. That said, the transitions are a bit more sudden due to the nature of the pseudo deserts. One is made up from the volcanic craters and the magma flows that wiped out chunks of rainforest, so it's rather suddenly very canyony and then flat. The acid rain deserts like devastation trail follow a similar pattern but with acid rain and stupidly good drainage. This doesn't allow most plants to efficiently take root in a sudden defined area.
That being said, it could just be lazy design and doesn't really represent the area transitions in game. Just saying that they could pull off relatively sudden changes.
>>
>>28833618
Holy fuck the nostalgia
>>
>>28835036
Oh such ignorance.
Seriously anon this is grade school geography. If you don't know a thing about nature then research or shut up.
>>
File: 1474979505649.png (115KB, 636x440px) Image search: [Google]
1474979505649.png
115KB, 636x440px
>>28835079
What the hell are you talking about
>>
File: Mauna_Kea_observatory.jpg (1MB, 3021x1778px) Image search: [Google]
Mauna_Kea_observatory.jpg
1MB, 3021x1778px
>>28835036
Observatories instead of weather centers most likely. They didn't put them on the ice mountain, and that's what its most famous for along with having snow, the Hawaiian creation myth, and technically being taller than Everest.
>>
>>28835090
I'm talking about you, obviously.
>>
>>28835112
You are talking about geography though. Unlike the rest of the thread, I wasn't arguing or discussing about the geography of the island, I was giving my assumption of how the player will traverse the island.

So again, what the hell are YOU talking about?
>>
>>28835056
Well yeah, and the other games do pull off some sudden changes as well, and they're not islands either. It was more of a case that if there was a complaint, it would be that the image in the OP makes it look a bit more clustered than it really is. This is naturally caused by the size of the island. Having a very big island probably wouldn't benefit the player very much at any rate. It would probably play fine.
>>
>>28833260
Prairies next to rainforests next mediterannean monsoons next to mountains with two different beaches and snowy deserts.

Who designed this?
>>
File: how_big.jpg (40KB, 261x352px) Image search: [Google]
how_big.jpg
40KB, 261x352px
>>28835134
True the island sizes had to be changed for player benefit. Irl the big island is actually bigger than all of the other main islands combined.
>>
>>28835133
At least pay attention anon. This is the last (you) you're getting from me with this poor bait.
>>
>>28835242
Anon, get out of here.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.