[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Abilities that need to be nerfed or buffed, and how to do it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6

Try not to make abilities completely broken or completely useless tho. Here are some of my ideas

Abilities to nerf:
-Parental Bond: The second attack deals even less damage OR if a move with a secondary effect is used, the effect activates only once. Or both. Fuck Parental Bond
-Gale Wings: The power of damaging moves affected by it is reduced
-Protean: Honestly I don’t know what to modify without changing the ability completely, it’s pretty straightforward
-Aerilate: It just change the type of Normal type moves, without the 30% boost. I don’t think Pixilate and Refrigerate necessarily need a nerf, but I feel like you either nerf all of them or none of them for consistency’s sake, so I don’t know

Abilities to buff:
-Hyper Cutter: Literally an inferior version of Clear Body, how is that fair? Now when an opponent reduces this pokemon’s attack, it raises it instead. It still doesn’t affect self-inflicted reductions, like with Superpower for example. Now it becomes very viable, seeing how Intimidate is a pretty common ability
-Iron Fist: All moves affected by Iron Fist are also affected by Tough Claws, and the boost is smaller. Jesus. Now Iron Fist provides a boost of 30%-40% to punching moves
-Klutz: What the fuck is even this ability. Now if the pokemon doesn’t have any held item it automatically gets a +1 Speed and a +1 Accuracy increase. Or a +2 Speed increase, depends how much the lack of an item is a disadvantage
>>
>>28814894
>-Hyper Cutter: Literally an inferior version of Clear Body, how is that fair? Now when an opponent reduces this pokemon’s attack, it raises it instead. It still doesn’t affect self-inflicted reductions, like with Superpower for example. Now it becomes very viable, seeing how Intimidate is a pretty common ability
So it's now a worse Defiant?

>-Klutz: What the fuck is even this ability. Now if the pokemon doesn’t have any held item it automatically gets a +1 Speed and a +1 Accuracy increase. Or a +2 Speed increase, depends how much the lack of an item is a disadvantage
Klutz is useful for Tricking choice items and flame/toxic orbs
>>
>>28814894
Why would you need Scrappy on Gardevoir when Pixilate already pierces Dark's immunity?
>>
>>28814894
>he doesn't use klutz lopunny
>>
>Illuminate
Lowers enemy evasion 1 stage on switch in.

>Healer
Increase chance of status recovery from 30% to 60%.

>Parental Bond
Deactivates at <50% HP.

>Iron Fist
Powers up punching moves by 50% instead of 20%.
>>
>>28814994
>Healer
>Increase chance of status recovery from 30% to 60%.
Nope, 100% on team mates, 40% on self.
>>
>>28814994
>-Protean: Honestly I don’t know what to modify without changing the ability completely, it’s pretty straightforward
Make it so that the Pokemon changes type immediately after you use the attack so that you don't get the STAB bonus unless you use the same attack twice in a row.

On the other hand that might be too great a nerf and poor Kecleon is still pretty shit even with the ability
>>
>>28814894
Your buffed Hyper Cutter is really similar to Defiant.
>>
>>28815040
Meant to reply to >>28814894 obviously
>>
>>28814894
>Protean
Just make it only change something's type after they move. From best ability to worst ability.
>>
>>28814952
Hyper Cutter: Ok yeah, I forgot Defiant, maybe it's not a good enough buff. Still, this further proves my point that Hyper Cutter needs a buff

Klutz: The only pokemon that can access both Klutz and Trick/Switcheroo are the Woobat and Buneary line, the others are screwed. And besides, I never said that the previous effect of Klutz is nullified, so if you REALLY wanted to do the Trick gimmick (which I feel is pretty unconvient but whatever), you still could
>>
>>28814989
Scrappy only allows Normal and Fighting type moves to hit Ghost types; it has no effect on any other type immunities
>>
>>28815040
The best way to nerf it is to take it away from Greninja.
>>
>>28814989
The pic is from a series of illustrations where Gardevoir is depicted tracing all possible abilities, it really doesn't have a meaning
>>
To nerf protean you only need to lower the stab of non water/dark moves from +50% to +30%
>>
File: 1474052743938.jpg (40KB, 564x752px) Image search: [Google]
1474052743938.jpg
40KB, 564x752px
>>28814894
Please does not allow bulbasaur bullying
>>
>>28814894
>>28815095
Nerfing Protean is easy, just make the type change AFTER the attack instead of before, that way it only gets STAB on the second turn using the same attack.
>>
Since the Iron Fist buff is pretty similar to Defiant anyway, what if it worked on self-inflicted drops as well? Kinda like Contrary but only affecting the Attack, so it's not as broken
>>
>>28815124
No, that's too much of a nerf. That's colour change tier shit.
>>
>>28814894
>Gale Wings
It now only affects attacking moves. Boom, no more priority Roost, or Tailwind in doubles.
>>
>>28815141
Doesn't matter, its the only nerf that wouldnt require an expanded ability explanation box.
>>
>Big Pecks
Intead of a Defense version of Hyper Cutter, make it a Defense version of Defiant; +2 Def whenever the enemy lowers this Pokemon's stats.

>Keen Eye
Same as above, but with Accuracy.

>Rivalry
No longer reduces power against opposite gendered targets.
>>
Sooner or later Contrary's gonna end up in the hands of a decent offensive Pokemon and wreck everything
Let's hope nothing stronger than Serperior ever gets it
>>
>>28815141
Speaking of colour change, do the same thing there by buffing it. Make color change happen before it's hit with a move. That should balance out complaints about Kekleon being nerfed by the protean nerf.
>>
>>28815178
So Kecleon is now weak to ghost and dragon.
>>
Can we just give any pokemon with Early Bird a copy of vital spirit instead?
>>
>>28815189
That's fine considering before it was weak to everything.
>>
>>28815196
It was immune to ghost before, at least in the first turn.
>>
>Protean changes type to the move the 'mon was hit with.
>Sneaky stones change the 'mon to a rock type and toxic spikes to poison
>>
>>28815210
Now in exchange for one additional weakness, it'll resist
>ice, fire, grass, water, psychic, dark, poison, electric, dark, steel, and fairy
It's a really good tradeoff.
>>
>>28815220
>Protean changes type to the move the 'mon was hit with
Already exists, its called color change.
>>
>>28815192
Nah, Early Bird is okay due to the fact it lets the Pokemon still use Rest for recovery. Just make it consistently so the Pokemon always wakes up at the end of the turn it falls asleep and now it's a better vital spirit.
>>
>>28814894
Maybe Protean can only activate once each time the Pokemon is out? Or STAB can only be for the original types? Kinda like jack of all trades master of none?

-Aroma Veil- Sets up Safeguard upon switch in
-Defeatist- Reduces Attack/Sp Attack by 2 stages if hit by attack that leaves at <50% HP. Switching out eliminates this.
-Flame Body/Static/Poison Point/etc- This Pokemon's own contact moves can inflict status to the same % if move has no chance of doing this.
-Flower Gift- Doubles Sp Attack and Speed, not Attack
-Forecast- Castform gets 90 on every stat except HP upon changing
-Frisk- Pokemon's contact moves have a 30% chance of stealing the item as well
-Gluttony- Berries' effects are now doubled
-Grass Pelt- Boosts defense in Grassy Terrain and Sunlight
-Healer- Can cure 100% of status, but only one at a time (for Triple/Rotation battles)
-Heatproof- Fire immunity
-Heavy Metal- Gains Def +1, Speed -1 upon switch in. Strengthens more moves, like Body Slam and Stomp
-Honey Gather- Serves as an automatic leftovers every turn
Hustle- Attack and special attack are boosted, accuracy modification remains the same and affects never missing moves
-Ice Body- Pokemon's defense is doubled in hail
-Illuminate- Acts like Compound Eyes
-Light Metal- Gains speed +1, defense -1 upon switch in.
-Magma Armor- Freeze and flinch protection (freeze is too situational)
-Minus/Plus- +33% SpA, SpD, and Speed when paired together. Plus/Plus or Minus/Minus do the opposite
-Rattled- Speed +2, SpDef -1 when hit by Bug/Ghost/Dark (you lower your resistance when spooked out)
-Run Away- Pokemon can switch out no matter what. Takes precedence over mean look/constrict/etc.
-Sap Sipper- restores HP by 25% when hit by Grass moves
-Shed Skin- 50% chance to heal status
-Slow Start- Only lasts three turns. does not reset upon switching out
-Solar Power- Same effect, but can use Solar Beam on 1 turn always whether or not the sun is out
-Solid Rock- 4x damage --> 2x damage
>>
>>28815263
I like it, it's like a new type.
>>
>>28814894
-Parental Bond: Second hit is 20% instead of 50%.
-If your opponent outspeeds you (e.g. extreme speed) while using a Brave Bird affected move, this move fails and you take 50% damage (like high jump kick).
-If Protean activates, you take 10% damage.
-Hyper Cutter adds 50% damage to slash and cut moves.
-Iron Fist grants a kings rock like 10% flinch chance to punching moves additionaly.
>>
>Early Bird
The user instantly wakes up when being put to sleep -- this allows them to Rest for free healing. Sounds OP on paper, but the only Pokemon who get it at the moment are either too frail or shitty to really abuse it.

Honey Gather - The user can now use Honey as a consumable item, healing 50% HP if they have <50% HP. If the user has no item, they have a 30% chance of obtaining Honey.
>>
>>28814894
Illuminate
The pokemon avoids damage from entry hazards.

Damp
Prevents self destruct moves and powder moves from working.

Honey Gather
Acts like Leftovers.
>>
>Gale Wings
Only works on moves of 90 or less Base Power. Works for acrobatics, but that means you're giving up your item. Otherwise, enjoy your priority fly/drill peck and say goodbye to brave bird or status moves.
>>
>>28815361
I agree with all of them except the Flame Body/Static buff. Seems too powerful if the chances to cause a status are still 30%. Scald is spammed everywhere and it's just one move, being able to burn a target with ANY contact move is devastating
>>
>>28815329
Didn't realize that existed, never used kecleon.
The more y'know.
>>
>>28815361
some fixes-
Flower Gift increases by 1.5x, not 2x

Hustle reduces accuracy of special attacks as well. Status moves aren't affected.

Flower Veil- Clear body for all allies, not just grass Pokemon

Speed boost- Grants speed +1 on switch in, but doesn't keep increasing

Stall- Even though this Pokemon moves last, all its attacks are doubled are power (like Payback). Only Sableye has this so it's fine if it's a little OP.

Stench- 30% flinch rate for all non-flinch moves, can't stack with King's Rock

Sticky Hold- In addition to original effect, if Thief/Knock Off/etc is used against this Pokemon, opponent loses speed -2

Symbiosis- Any beneficial moves (recovery/stat boosting/etc) this Pokemon uses are shared with allies.

Toxic Boost- Doubles attack when poisoned. A stronger, but more situational Guts.

Truant- 30% chance of not moving on a given turn

Unnerve- Foe is unable to use any items. lol@Mewtwo

Water Veil- Increases evasion in rain as well

Zen Mode- Fully heals HP and converts to Zen form permanently if left w/ <50% HP, but can't switch out.

>>28815558
That's a really good point. Maybe these abilities doesn't need anything.
>>
iTT: pokemons that need to be purged?

Why yes, Gardevoir and gardevoirfags should disappear from planet earth, yes
>>
>>28814894
-Cute Charm: when user does a contact move on an opponent with different gender it has 30% to make it fall in love with user.

-Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent/Swarm: Grass/Fire/Water/Bug-type moves are doubled if HP is red (25% or less)

-Parental Bond: 1st Turn: Regular attack + Extra attack, 2nd turn: Regular attack + no Extra attack.

-Gluttony: instead of using early a berry, it doubles its effect when used (type resisting berries make Pokemon resisting a type instead of making it neutral)
>>
File: tiggered.jpg (7KB, 180x210px) Image search: [Google]
tiggered.jpg
7KB, 180x210px
>>28814894

>nerfing aerialate but not pixilate
>gardevoir picture
>>
File: ......png (152KB, 615x145px) Image search: [Google]
......png
152KB, 615x145px
>>28814994
Conkeldurr Used Hammer Arm!
>>
File: 1464036417882.jpg (522KB, 1200x886px) Image search: [Google]
1464036417882.jpg
522KB, 1200x886px
>>28815361
>-Slow Start- Only lasts three turns. does not reset upon switching out

Exactly what I came in here to say, good job senpai.
>>
>>28816204
>Reading the first sentence only.
>>
>>28815055
what about Hyper Cutter increasing claws and cut moves by 20% like crab hammer, cut, slash, etc...
>>
>>28816249

I'd remove the boost to all of them but I'd buff normal type moves to compensate. That way it would directly buff normal types while keeping those moves the same.

max BP of return: 102 -> 112
BP of double edge and thrash: 120 -> 130
BP of explosion 250 -> 275

Not sure about thrash because I think thrash should be a fighting type move anyways though.

I'd also personally buff explosion. After hitting a pokemon with explosion, if the pokemon survives it halves it's defenses.
>>
>>28816300
Now THAT is a good idea, considering the movepool that most hyper cutter mons have
>>
>>28816204
I mean I thought about it, but then I realized Pixilate would become almost useless to the pokemon who have it, since Hyper Voice would have less power than Moonblast. Ok yeah, Hyper Voice would still bypass Substitute unlike Moonblast, but I don't know if people would prefer it just for that. And if they don't, Sylveon and MGardevoir would be stuck with an unused ability. If you think the Substitute bypass would still cause people to choose Hyper Voice over Moonblast, then I guess yeah, Pixilate could afford a nerf
>>
all -Ate abilities should not increase the damage of normal moves, only change its type
>>
File: tumblr_mykb0lv6Jt1rn8v30o1_500.gif (404KB, 499x289px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mykb0lv6Jt1rn8v30o1_500.gif
404KB, 499x289px
>>28814894
Normalize now affect not only the user, but all pokemon on the field
>>
>>28814894
Hail should buff a stat.
>>
>hyper cutter: user's attack cannot be lowered, and opponent's defense cannot be raised
>>
>Truant
You can't choose an attacking move every other turn. Status moves are OK

>Defeatist
Lowers the user's Attack and SpA by 1 stage if it fails to KO the opponent while attacking.

>Slow Start
Slow Start now only lasts 2 turns and changes the users ability to Vital Spirit.
>>
>>28817262
Hail now lowers the speed of non-Ice types by 50%
>>
>>28817262
Gail boosts physical defense 50%, opposite to sandstorm. Don't most ice types have better sdef than set on average?
>>
>>28814894
>>28815147
>>28815546
or you could just change Talonflame's HA to be something other than Gale Wings
>>
>>28814894
Where can I find all of those pics? I've seen a few and they're funny usually.
>>
>>28817262
>>28819652
And also doesn't pelt Fire and Water types. If Sand doesn't hurt Ground and Steel types, then it's only fair for Hail to not hurt other types as well aside from the Def buff. Plus, at least this way everything doesn't need to run Safety Goggles.
>>
water veil now makes pokemon completely immune to fire attacks
>>
>>28820149
Maybe also let sandstorm effect ground types. Steel has plenty of resistances, but ground types could really benefit from the sdef boost.
>>
Abilities to buff
-Opening Poster: gits gud
>>
>>28814952
>>28815055
Klutz doesn't need a direct buff, it needs a meta where trick is prominent.
>>
>>28816515
Delcatty is now RU
>>
Klutz: Item effects are inverted

Yes, I know it's bullshit.
>>
>>28820096
Google "Tracey the tracing Gardevoir"
>>
>Keen Eye
Also increases accuracy by 20%, on top of ignore accuracy/evasion modifiers
>Tangled Feet
Make it so that the Pokemon still attacks even if it does damage to itself, on top of the usual effect
>Big Pecks
Have it also ignore the opponent's Attack boosts

Why are the bird abilities so awful?
>>
>>28819336
>>hyper cutter: user's attack cannot be lowered, and ignores opponent's defense increases
FTFY.
>>
clear body and white smoke prevent user-inflicted stat drops.

it means the regis get bulk up (from Curse) and reliable fighting stab (from superpower); metagross gets fighting stab (from hammer arm); and torkoal gets auto-white-herb shell smash and infinite overheats. So, UU.

honestly just looking at the moves available to clear body 'mon makes it look like that's what they intended all along, like how contrary 'mon have deliberately rationed access to spammable moves.
>>
>>28824923
Regis and Metagross aren't Fighting type.
>>
>>28814894
Protean and Aerilate aren't broken, Mega Mence and Greninja are broken.
>>
>Damp
Also prevents Will-O-Wisp from being used
>Magician
Has a 10% chance of the making the opposing Pokemon's item disappear when hit with a attacking move
>Inner Focus
Also blocks Taunt and Torment.
>Sand Force
Increases the power of Ground-type moves without sandy weather being up.
>Big Pecks
Prevents all stat drops
>>
>>28824980
*coverage, whatever
>>
>>28819538
>Slaking used protect!
>>
>ITT: every ability needs to boost a stat
>>
>>28814894
>Parental Bond
Second hit does 25% damage, and ignores any secondary effects

>Gale Wings
Only affects Flying-type attacks

>Synchronize
Chance of finding wild Pokemon with the same nature is 100%

>Regenerator
Heals for 1/4 HP instead of 1/3

>Shadow Tag
No longer affects Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate. Effects of Shadow Tag will disappear when the user is hit with a critical hit.

>Speed Boost
Will only increase the user's speed once.
>>
>>28825804
>Slaking used Protect!
>Garchomp used Swords Dance
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.