[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder The games are objectively better in every way with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 19

File: chandler.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
chandler.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
Reminder

The games are objectively better in every way with every new gen. The only contrary to this is from pure nostalgia. If you honestly believe RBE is better than ORAS, get you fucking head checked.
>>
emerald is better than oras though.
>>
>>28761414
>le ebin post game
>forget being worse in every mechanical aspect
>>
>What is D&P?

>>28761414
FPBP
>>
I think the other games are better than B/W, but that's because that's the only game I had to force myself to finish. Learning about natures and IVs ruined everything.
>>
File: 1474769680300.png (135KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1474769680300.png
135KB, 400x300px
>>28761385
Rachel will never love you Ross
>>
I mean, ORAS brought literally nothing new to the table and was boring as fuck. Also comparing games with different ages is beyond retarded.
>>
>>28761385
>newer is better
Sorry OP but you need to be at least 18 years old to use this site
>>
anyone who says they finished ORAS is fucking lying
holy shit it was boring
>>
File: 1473704261365.jpg (6KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1473704261365.jpg
6KB, 250x250px
>>28761385
>>28761414
Yeah op emerald unironically does a better job at revisiting hoenn than ORAS.
Shit thread.
>>
>>28761422
If I want mechanics I can just play XY or SM in a few months. But if I want to play a Hoenn game Emerald is still the definitive experience. Which is fucking sad.
>>
>>28761385
Maybe not RS, but if you think ORAS is better than emerald you should legitimately have your head checked.
>>
Emerald is on par with ORAS because while all the core mechanics are better in ORAS there are several additions or changes Emerald had that are missing despite being great improvements that would not clash with any newer core mechanics
>>
>>28761562
I bought it months ago i've still got only 3 badges.
Holy shit every time I turn on 3ds to play it I want to throw it outside the window for how fucking shit it is. I can't play it for more than 15-20 minutes per game.
>>
File: IMG_0358.jpg (16KB, 300x232px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0358.jpg
16KB, 300x232px
>>28761562
How where they boring? Their story was grrrrreat.
>>
>>28761562
Did you find ruby/saphire boring too?
>>
>>28761562
I played XY for months even after finishing it

With ORAS I did finish it but I got bored and stopped playing a few days after. There's nothing to fucking do if you already caught them all and did everything in XY.
>>
>>28761562
I always quit after the 8th badge

it's only useful for farming wi-fi events at this point

I think it's the lack of incentive to keep going - XY has new boutiques to get to
>>
>>28761562
>Never played a Hoenn game
>Not deliberately, just never had a copy of one. Had Crystal, FireRed, Pearl, SoulSilver, and White, but lose interest after that
>2015 rolls around
>Meet girl, she's into pokemon, get back into it
>Buy 2DS and Alpha Sapphire
>Play through the game experiencing Hoenn for the first time
>Enjoy it at least as much as I enjoyed White, plus the battle sprites aren't ugly as fuck
Overall, a win. My main complaint was going back to a bunch of places I've already been for the Delta Episode. Is that how it felt for everyone who'd played Ruby and Sapphire?

Life is good and I enjoy things
>>
>>28761385
Not completely. I'd say the games took a dive in quality after Gen V.
>>
>>28761674
That's basically how it went for me. I actually really liked the maingame, but I already had like three hundred hours in XY so there wasn't much to do after the credits rolled that I hadn't just done over the past thirteen months.
>>
>>28761751
I played gen 3 to death, which is why all the faults, which were everywhere, stick out like a sore thumb.

It doesn't even feels like a remake, it just feels like someone rpg maker project at just redoing hoenn, it just feels like the exact same game with no real improvements from the already bad predecessors.

Not only that, but they just flat out removed things that added a lot of character to hoenn and things that made hoenn feel like hoenn.

It was also wasted potential in every corner, HG/SS improved over aspects of the game, added new cameras, styles, colors, it felt like what a remake should be.

The old games but with a completely new flavor, taking and improving things from that gen culminating on really polished games like FR/LG and HG/SS.

Instead it's just a rushed mess
>>
>>28761385
then how come ge VI came after gen V?
>>
>>28761802
>Not only that, but they just flat out removed things that added a lot of character to hoenn and things that made hoenn feel like hoenn.
Got any examples? I only played gen 3 once years ago, I don't remember much being different.
>>
>>28761802
FRLG were remakes to a fault though. It didn't even have a clock.
>>
>>28761802
Personally, I would rather play Crystal over HGSS any day because I hate the changes in styles and colors in HGSS to the point it doesn't feel like Johto anymore to me. I don't feel it really improved much about GSC either except Kanto wasn't quite as barren.

But the main reason I like ORAS at all are changes made to atmosphere, story or characterization prior to the credits, so I'm just weird. The game otherwise is still a rushed mess and really should've had more Emerald shit.
>>
File: 1458577498992.jpg (10KB, 217x250px) Image search: [Google]
1458577498992.jpg
10KB, 217x250px
>>28761827
ash collecting, npcs in certain areas, being able to get inside the sand beds in lavaridge, new mauville, BIG instrumentation changes and missing keys on the music, pokeblock minigame, contests being piss easy and you get a free ticket to winning them anyways, roaming latios and latias, instead you get handed a legendary FOR FREE, sky pillar puzzles, loading screens by changing tilemaps on every fucking corner, game corner completely gone, no replacements, safari zone, mauville in general, just off the top of my head.

And that's just RS, emerald has a shitton more.

Leader rematches, battle frontier, battle tents, magma and aqua different hideouts, mirage tower, and a shitton of others I cant even remember right now.

Fuck ORAS
>>
>>28761981
>FOR FREE
I got TPK'd by that boss battle
Swagger is no joke
>>
>>28761981
>ash collecting being changed
Only change I disliked
>>
>>28761981
01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101
>>
>>28762014
nigga just fucking switch out how shit are you
>>
>>28761981
Contests themselves are as easy as ever, they just made the stat system a different type of retarded, instead of retarded limitations they retardedly give you none. And the redesign to Mauville City is great and made the least memorable city in the game as a location actually interesting.

I'd say myself that the Safari Game and Roaming Pokemon have always been shit, too, and their removal are very welcome, though it would've been even better if we had a proper battle for Latios/Latias. But that's just my opinion.

Everything else you mentioned I either agree with or just don't care either way.
>>
>>28762047
>Metang killed himself
>all of my mons were slower than Sharpedo
I tried, believe me
>>
>>28762068
>safari
>shit

fuck you

>making mauville almost as fucking hard to navigate as lumiose and a pain to just be in while removing all the old charm it had
>good
>>
>>28761708

Do you always make sure to get two of every event pokemon as well, anon-tan?
>>
>>28762081
If your entire team is getting koed in 2 hits by a fucking admin sharpedo you got serious issues.

Could've just revived the fucking metang too.
>>
>>28762083
>charm
oh yeah, Rustboro with a bike shop is totally charming

also being unable to navigate Lumiose is totally on you, they even give you a minimap and teleporters everywhere
>>
>>28762097
You can't revive Steven's Metang, and again, I couldn't do anything because my mons were slower than Sharpedo and kept hitting themselves in confusion
>>
>>28762083
Safari Game mechanics aren't fun. The only thing I would miss from the RS Safari is the feeders, but honestly when you have DexNav there's no need for them.

Mauville was boring as fuck before. Pretty much every other town has a unique feeling and aesthetic to it, while other than the Game Corner building, nothing particularly stands out in RSE Mauville. And ORAS Mauville is nowhere near as much of a pain in the ass as Lumiose to navigate, since there's no fucked up adjusting camera without a map or easy point of reference for direction, and it's far smaller and compact period.
>>
I really liked Emerald, but I liked ORAS more.

I think Emerald doesn't add too much things to RS, and ORAS is fucking beautiful. People hate it because muh Battle Frontier, though.
>>
>>28761857
They were pretty close remakes but the slightly improved movesets, AI, mechanics, and glitch fixes went a long way considering how wonky Gen 1 is. Just the better AI alone makes them worthy remakes.
>>28762206
Emerald adds a ton of double battles, moveset/pokemon fixes for trainers and gym leaders. There's a lot of improvements.

If you want to see why ORAS is crap for not bringing over Emerald's improvements, look no further than Tate and Liza's team.
>>
>>28762206
The cross-sight doubles and Frontier really should've been in ORAS. The improved movesets too. But I don't care that much myself either way about that.
>>
File: 862.png (368KB, 740x900px) Image search: [Google]
862.png
368KB, 740x900px
>>28761385
well I liked the crisper colors and detailed sprites of RSE better than the washed out 3D models and awkward unfinished animations of ORAS. I also don't like mega-evolutions and primal forms because I feel they devalue the original monster but that's a personal thing. I honestly don't give a fuck about the battle frontier but it is a legitimate gripe. Every new game has longer and duller unskippable dialogue portions. I guess most of my problems are with X and Y or gen 6 as a whole. Loads of cut features like character customization, I guess the originals didn't have these either but they weren't expected to. way too easy. They made most trainers and gym leaders weaker right? Plus Emerald had way more double battles which I really liked. ORAS are okay, but they arent 100% upgrade/definitive edition like firered and leafgreen are to RBY.

here are things I liked and hope they keep from ORAS:
>wacky bonus new mauville LORE bonus stuff
>awkward post-game date with May
>the cool egg move search mechanic. Icefang poocheyana was incredible. Hope they keep this.
>better secret bases
>Delinquents. They are truly perfect. So fucking underrated I'm worried they won't come back in sun and moon. I love them. Please make more art of them.
>>
>>28762268
I have a feeling that they didn't include cross-sight doubles because trainer sight is glitched out. I've been spotted while walking behind a trainer more than once.
>>
File: 1468715821151.png (322KB, 721x220px) Image search: [Google]
1468715821151.png
322KB, 721x220px
>>28761751
ORAS isn't a bad standalone game.

ORAS is a bad remake. If you've never played Gen 3, you wouldn't notice the things ORAS did worse than Gen 3, but the people who played Gen 3 before ORAS can notice, which is why they get so heavily criticized.

I can't fault you for liking ORAS if you haven't played Gen 3, and I admit I had fun with it myself since, even if it's a worse version of Gen 3, I still liked Gen 3 and ORAS does do some things right (Dexnav is the best feature ever and I need it to come back), but I'm sure you can understand why someone who played the originals would dislike the remake.

At least you didn't like the Delta Episode, it means you do have good taste.
>>
>>28762283
>Loads of cut features like character customization
Which was always shit. For the life of me I don't see why people would ever bite for that when the resorruces/room/time/etc... could go to real content.
>>
The other day a girl in my class was playing Alpha Sapphire and I thought it was a good time to have the balls to talk to her. I told her that Emerald was better and I got fucking angry when she didn't understand. She cried and I think I fucked it up. I hate ORAS even more because of this.

Her parents are from Mexico and maybe they didn't have GBAs there, but I didn't considered it at the moment.
>>
>Caring about double battles
>Ever

Anyone who cares about double battles should get their head checked.
>>
>>28762355

I kind of have to disagree here. I played Sapphire and almost wanted to quit pokemon on the spot. Gave it a second chance with Emerald and just had a deadzone of two years where I didn't do anything pokemon related.

As strict remakes of Ruby/Sapphire they're great. The Battle Frontier thing doesn't really bother, never cared for that anyway as getting gold wasn't especially hard, but what we got was a straight upgrade to the tower in Ruby/Sapphire.

ORAS is the first time i've enjoyed Hoenn, and even then I just don't like the place.
>>
>>28762404
Jesus, anon, what'd you do to make her cry?
>>
>>28762068
I have literally never seen anyone hate the Safari Zone before ORAS was released (other than people hating experiences with it where they ran into a shiny and it fled). I am convinced to this day that people only started hating on the Safari Zone to try to defend Game Freak removing it.

And I swear to god if Game Freak puts another Lumiose-sized city in Sun and Moon I'm going to write an angry letter to them.

>>28762283
>liking what they did to New Mauville
I hope you meant Sea Mauville.

>>28762409
Have you considered you were in a "too cool for Pokémon" phase when Gen 3 came out?
>>
>>28762404
>404
I don't believe you. Nobody is that autistic.
>>
>>28762426
>Have you considered you were in a "too cool for Pokémon" phase when Gen 3 came out?
literally everyone who hates hoenn or didn't enjoy it. Barely anything objectively bad with it and nothing that it didn't improve on from previous generations.
>>
>>28762426
Lumiose was fucking awesome you fag

quit being stuck in the days when it was only possible to have 4 fucking buildings in a "town"
>>
>>28762414
I told her that ORAS doesn't have many thins that the original games have and the Gen 6 in particular is awful (that fairies are kind of gay and that megaevolutions broke the meta). She didn't understand what I was saying and maybe I got a little angry and talk loudly. I wish I could go back in time and tell it in another way.
>>
>>28762404
>getting angry about video game opinions
you should work on that, you sound like a petty faggot
>>
>>28762443
Lumioise was a fucking train wreck.
>>
>>28762445
You shouldn't have told her anything. You should have juat said "Oh, I think Emerald is better" and moved on. No one likes being told their opinion is wrong and then getting ranted at, and you're extremely socially unaware if you haven't learned that by now.
>>
>>28762463
But I wanted to teach her about the things I know. I am not so good at school, and I like when I am able to explain something to other people.
>>
>>28762443
Lumiose-sized towns fucking suck from a gameplay-perspective. You're bloating the area and filling it with tons of useless buildings like the fucking dozen cafés and having five different restaurants. I was fine with Castelia, it was a large city but from a gameplay perspective it was just four streets with a curved street connecting them at one end and a plaza at the other, comprised of mostly unenterable buildings, tons of NPCs you can't talk to running back and forth in the streets for atmosphere, and the buildings you can enter being clearly marked. You can't get lost in Castelia, and if you somehow did forget what street you were on you just need to cross to the other end to figure it out.

Lumiose is a clusterfuck of camera angles, with no clear landmarks for most of the city. If you memorized the street names you might be able to keep track that way, but otherwise you need to use a map to navigate the town at all. You should not need a physical map to navigate a town in a Pokémon game.

Towns in Pokémon are meant to be abstracted. They're much larger in-universe than in-game, but there's no reason to fuck up the flow of the area by putting 2,000 unenterable buildings and duplicating areas like cafés to give the illusion of the area having tons of content. If you want to give the impression of a huge city in Pokémon, you make it relatively larger like Saffron or Jubilife, but keeping it easy to navigate.
>>
>>28762426
>Have you considered you were in a "too cool for Pokémon" phase when Gen 3 came out?

No I played the shit out of my Red/Silver carts until the battery stopped working in the latter and I lost the former. Diamond came out and I was all over that shit. Every time I replay Emerald, and I have a few times recently to see if this was the case, I remember why I didn't like these games in the first place. I find myself missing the nice, clear plastic, sitting on my shelf more than I like playing them.

Played some Fire Red at a friends house around the time it came out. Made me regret I spent money on Hoenn games.
>>
>>28762479

The problem is the reason was subjective, and you went in stating your opinion as a fact. Sounding like a giant sperg aside, that does make you come off as a gigantic asshole.
>>
>>28762517
Alright then. What do you dislike about RSE that you don't dislike in ORAS?
>>
>>28762392
Different strokes for different blokes. Like how I don't enjoy battle tower bullshit or boring breeding or EV training where others get a kick out of it. That's the beauty of these games, they are varied. I like very frivolous things. following pokemon, character customization, little bits of lore and exploration etc. Pokemon works best for me when it is an immersive ROLE PLAYING game where I can forget about how I hate life and can live in a fictional world (it has never been super good at this but whatever)

>>28762426
>I hope you meant Sea Mauville.
oh whoops yea. was pretty mysterious. Mauville itself was messy but didn't bug me as much as other anons though. Lumiose was much worse.
>>28762443
I disagree
>>28762462
>>28762500
these guys said it better than I ever could. I especially liked how he pointed out how Castelia felt large without being such a clusterfuck.
>>
>>28762535
Castelia is shit. I wouldn't call 4 fucking streets a good anything.
>>
>>28761674
This.
People who say "ORAS has more content" are fucking lying.
>>
>>28762530

I think a lot of it is what turned a lot of people my age away from it. We less "Grew out" of pokemon, but were cut off from everything familiar. Even if we had friends to trade with, we had to use new link cables and it was impossible to complete the national dex on the spot. Leaf Green, gamecube games, it was just a giant chore compared to the simplicity of gens 1-2. Nevermind it was jarring coming off a generation that was essentially an expansion pack into something that was just...foreign.
Wifi helped a lot. I could trade and get final evolutions, import things i've always wanted to try.
Removing the day/night cycle also pissed me right off because it was reverse progress for no other reason than "have a clock, but we don't want to visibly change anything." ORAS didn't do this well, but it was noticeable. I liked that.

I don't wanna sound like a genwunner and say it didnt feel like a pokemon game, because it totally did, but it just took *at least* two expansion games later to come together. ORAS also made surfing faster, made secret bases more accessible, added a dexnav feature, and let you fly to route.

As for emerald, some minor story changes aside I didn't really care for the battle frontier. I beat it, yes, but it didn't feel like any sort of accomplished because stupid AI scaled up and able to read your moves is still stupid AI if you aren't a moron.
>>
File: He's a big guy.png (58KB, 1662x1173px) Image search: [Google]
He's a big guy.png
58KB, 1662x1173px
Ruby and Emerald along with FR/LG were my first real Pokemon games. I had played the original R/B along my brothers copy of Silver, but I was too young and dumb to really appreciate or play them fully.
I love all of the third generation games and the memories I have from them and can't understand how anyone thinks they're bad.

I also love OR/AS; I haven't had as much fun playing a Pokemon game and going through the whole thing since B/W came out.
I love the little differences between the old and new games alongside all the new changes like Sea Mauville and the updated storylines with the evil teams. Much like the older games, I'm baffled as to how anyone can think they're terrible.

Anyway, while I can't fathom why anyone would dislike either set of games, I can accept that they do feel differently. I just don't see a reason why you guys have to fight about which of your favorites is better. They're both Pokemon games, isn't that enough?
>>
>>28762535

I love all of that except the customization team. I enjoy it being a role playing game, yes, but self inserting? I'd rather play as a character that is vague, but juuuust not me enough to feel into the role.
>>
>>28762542

It certainly doesn't have "less" content, if you could the ratio of what was removed to what was added.
The only real loss was the trick master puzzles, but if yer talking Sapphire vs Alpha Sapphire things like the Battle Tower got a straight upgrade content wise.
>>
>>28762563

I feel you mah man. I grew to appreciate generation three games, but coming into them made me feel almost like I was playing some sort of bootleg.
>>
>>28761628
like what?
>>
>>28762524
This, man.
2bh, if anyone came up to me and started yelling about a game in a language I only half-understand, I'd cry too.
Yes, I'm a grill. We're just sensituve beings, my dude
>>
>>28762612
London?
>>
>>28761628
> Emerald had that are missing despite being great improvements that would not clash with any newer core mechanics

Like what? Battle Tower aside, which I'm always going to count as a moot point, what was it missing?
>>
>>28762594
>The only real loss was the trick master puzzles

and the BF
and the game corner
and contests that weren't piss easy with berry blending minigame missing
and granite cave not requiring backtracking to catch everything

ORAS is fucking terrible for a game that's building on a previous game instead of having to be made from scratch. The 1 year dev time shows. None of the new additions are that great.
>>
>>28762625
Removing those things are all objectively good, anon. You're a nostalgiacuck if you don't appreciate them removing content. :^)
>>
>>28762620
Are you gonna yell at me about a game in a language I only half-understand?
>>
I agree with op, i also didnt like gen6 but its because of nostalgia, you just need to realise it. Gen 6 was fantastic
>>
>>28762625
>and the BF
>and the game corner
>and contests that weren't piss easy with berry blending minigame missing
>and granite cave not requiring backtracking to catch everything

Shit no one but you a few vocal minorities care about 2bh
>>
>>28762083
>making mauville almost as fucking hard to navigate as lumiose
I've never played X/Y, so I don't know how bad that city is, but if you have a problem navigating ORAS Mauville you might actually be retarded.
>>
>>28762541
It isn't great or anything. Just did some things better. The people running around convey to the player that the city is large, but they clearly aren't important NPCs or quest-givers so the player doesn't get confused or overwhelmed by them. Plus it didn't brick your game when you saved in it like Lumiose.
>>28762563
>>28762606
very insightful. Totally describes me and all of my friends. "foreign" and "bootleg" are great ways to describe Ruby and sapphire as a 6-10 year old who lived and breathed 1st and 2nd gen. New system, shift in design and music, hoenn is isolated from kanto and johto a bit. Love 3rd gen now, but certainly didn't at the time. Agree on battlefrontier too, cheesing a cheating AI has never been fun.
>>28762576
I get you. Sometimes I don't even sel-insert, I just enjoy dress-up games. X and Y's wasn't very good but if they improved it I'd have a blast. I guess I'm just gay or something
>>
>>28762625

I can maybe give you the battle frontier since I guess it constituted the "postgame" for anybody without friends but...
Heart Gold/Soul Silver international began the process of removing game corners and this is just a sign of the times. Blame Europe.
Contests were always piss easy. If you knew how to abuse a Claydoll you were golden. Berry Blending is, objectively, better now because I can make pokeblocs quickly and of much higher quality.
Granite Cave. Such an important area you spend hours in. I liked the mural room addition, it didn't really remove anything that was...I dunno, good?

Meanwhile RSE had an entire myriad of things they could have added but didn't. All gens have done this.
>>
>>28762725

I suppose the difference here is that I never grew to appreciate it. Anything it did generation 4, subjectively, did better and with the addition of wifi.

I suppose the biggest flaw is it's where the games started becoming uber kid friendly, instead of that one JRPG where monsters beat each other up. The pattern of evil team using a legend to take over the world, etc...etc...

Perhaps this was because I playing generations 1-2 around the time I was 12, so I suppose I was just old enough to call bullshit. It's weird, what I felt about R/S/E then is what people who started with those games feel about OR/AS now.
>>
>>28762739
>Heart Gold/Soul Silver international began the process of removing game corners and this is just a sign of the times. Blame Europe.
And unlike ORAS, HGSS actually bothered to replace it with something. I actually had fun with Voltorb Flip.

>Contests were always piss easy
no they weren't. Now you can literally just turn away from the game and just press 1 or 2 moves after waiting for 2 minutes of animations and win. It's completely effortless. Before I had to at least try. And they didn't fucking take advantage of the fact that the game was made in 2014 and didn't add online.

>objectively, better now because I can make pokeblocs quickly
It's casualized. Not better. Doing the minigame and making sure the contest stats were optimized instead of just spamming berries for every stat was more interesting.

>it didn't really remove anything that was...I dunno, good?
It removed getting more pokemon earlier in the game.

>Meanwhile RSE had an entire myriad of things they could have added but didn't.
RS was a new gen that overhauled a shit ton of mechanics and Emerald added hours upon hours of replayable post-game and a main-game that was more challenging than both RS and ORAS.

If I feel like playing a Hoenn game I would legitimately rather play Emerald and just play a sim or XY if I want any of the modern stuff. ORAS is that bad.
>>
>>28762758
Enjoying Voltorb Flip aside, you were unable to buy coins(a big oversight) and winning voltorb flip at a level that gave you any sort of monetary gain was a coinflip even with a calculator. This was a bad change all around.

I dunno about you, but i've never had to try with contests. I recently migrated a, former, shadow pokemon from Orre. I got it all possible contests ribbons in gen 3-4 and this...wasn't especially hard until Sinnoh Contests. Fuck those,man. A claydol with cosmic power, ancient power, secret power, and self-destruct/explosion can solo every rank. Try it!

Your problem is you think that "casualization" is a bad thing. We can debate all we want that its "casualized" but doing a stupid minigame every-time I wanted to make a new contest mon was more tedious than grinding my team to level 100 for the battle frontier. Cutting down on tedium does not mean it's been casualized.

The Dexnav also made it possible to make the hoenn crapmons, I dunno, actually usable? This was kind of neat.If anything they made the local mons far more fun to use in exchange for sheer pokemon numbers, and even then you can just trade.

As for Emerald, I don't see how it added much "content." There was some stuff here and there, the ability to catch two legends, and the rest was rather forgettable.
I also can't say Emerald was challenging, or even more challenging than my runs of Sapphire. I played both, several times, as recent as last month. Can you give me an example of challenge? I just remember the same stomp across hoenn as my sapphire play,and I didn't even especially grind or use a guide.
>>
>>28762758

So I read this, and see a few points I can maybe agree with, but...
Your experience is hardly definitive, yanno? Just because something is easy for you doesn't mean it's easy for everybody.
I used to be the most zealous hater of the remakes until I actually went back to Emerald and realized something: the new games aren't easier I just got older.

>>28762805
>A claydol with cosmic power, ancient power, secret power, and self-destruct/explosion can solo every rank. Try it!
Made contests a snap. Which pokemon did you get those Ribbons on, by the way?
>>
>>28762805

Yeah Emerald add content, but didn't really fix any of the issues R/S had. It was better, but kind of fails as a third version in comparison to things like Platinum.
>>
>>28762392
If Gamefreak can't handle customisation and tons of content at the same time, then they are incompetent, plain and simple. Tons of games have customisation and massive amounts of content.

Also,
>liking the default mc's
Not a single one has been good.
>>
>>28762805
>you were unable to buy coins(a big oversight)

OH NO

I HAVE TO CATCH AND/OR EARN MY POKEMON INSTEAD OF BUYING THEM

WHATEVER SHALL I DO

still better than the zilch ORAS has.

>Your problem is you think that "casualization" is a bad thing
When it's done badly it is. And in this case it's done badly because they're just removing gameplay and strategy.

>Dexnav also made it possible to make the hoenn crapmons, I dunno, actually usable?
Why does it matter? The game is so insultingly easy you can use any shitmon and still beat the game.

>and the rest was rather forgettable.
hours of different post-game challenges isn't forgettable.

>Can you give me an example of challenge?
Emerald Brawly and Tate&Liza are far more challenging than any ORAS gym.

>>28762823
>and realized something: the new games aren't easier I just got older.

ahahaha this excuse again

please tell me where in emerald you got a busted ass exp share that hands you 350% exp before the 1st gym, free mega stones, and free lati@s handed to you mid-game instead of being a runner you have to hunt down yourself post-game
>>
>>28762805
Voltorb Flip isn't meant to be won 100% of the time. This is why they made it so playing properly can result in you failing a game but not losing rank, since you flipped enough cards in the round. A slot machine is nothing but a coin flip, especially in Gen 1 where you hitting the reels means literally nothing (there's an RNG in the game that determines whether the reels will make a viable match or not, trying to line them up manually is a placebo and they'll skip to the next reel if they don't want you to win).
>>
>>28762426
I hated the safari zone as early as gen 1, I only put up with it because there was no other way to get the mons. Then gen 2 had the national park bug catching contest and I was in love.

Then they fucked it up by bringing back the old style safari for the better part of 2 gens. Fuck that shit.

The only good safari experience is taking in a set number of mons and a set number of balls and trying to catch the best things you can, without shit running.
>>
>>28762805
Do you think giving the player a button that auto-wins a battle for them is a good design choice? It removes tedium, some of these Pokémon might take more than one turn to knock out.
>>
>>28762823
ORAS objectively did make some things easier, though.
>>
>>28762843

I'd have liked to buy things like TMs and Porygon, yes. I mean it's not like HG/SS had the foresight to make this easy to get.

I can agree with you that, when done badly, it is but the thing is thats subjective. You and I have different options here, and I don't really see how either of us is correct here.

As for difficulty in general, I have never found a pokemon game difficult since my first run of Red back on release day. I mean you say Tate and Liza/Brawly are harder but I still oneshot the same as I did in R/S/OR/AS.

I mean, this is something you have to hold against the entire franchise rather than just the newest thing. As for the exp share, I can't comment either way. I didn't turn it on and kind of forgot it was there.I didn't use the Lati either.
If you wanted a challenging game I don't see why you would either, since apparently neither of us needed to. Why complain about something that has no bearing on your, personal, experience in game?

At best the exp share merely speeds up grinding. If you use it to cheese the game you would have done via grinding anyway, this just makes it faster. Once agian, cutting tedium is not a horrible thing.

>>28762862

It's been ages since I played Heart Gold in Japanese, but I believe it had more than one game? May be wrong here.
>>
>>28762892

I don't see why it's especially a bad thing: they have nothing to gain from doing so. If you play just to "win" then by all means. Hit the button.

While other players, who want to have an experience, can ignore the button altogether and play a game they purchased to enjoy.
>>
>>28762921
GSC and Jap HGSS do have two games, yes. Besides the slots, there's card flip, which is also a coin flip. They draw a card from a deck, and you bet on what card it is, with the payout for winning being based on how likely that card is to appear in a vacuum. It's more skill-based than the slots just because the cards come from the same deck until so many are drawn where it's shuffled, and you can mentally determine the odds of a card coming up by what's been drawn in the past. I always played the card flip over the slots as a kid for that reason.
>>
>>28762910

All of that aside, and this is the same anon, the game engine itself has become much easier.
TM's have been endless use for some time now(cutting down on strategy, and this is nothing to do with ORAS this was a Black/White thing), the physical/special split made certain mons more usable, and attacks that could have been otherwise spammed have been nerfed.

Saying this is the first, and worst, game to casualize anything is false. Did it make some things easier? Yes. But people seriously overhype what Emerald "made more difficult" when you have the tool in any single game, even before these changes, to steamroll everything.

The biggest problem with this debate is that everybody seems to be taking their, personal, play style to be the one true way to play and judging games based on that.
>>
File: 1421509599767.jpg (47KB, 613x465px) Image search: [Google]
1421509599767.jpg
47KB, 613x465px
>>28762937
>I don't see why putting an auto-win button in a game is a bad thing

I'm going to assume all your posts in this thread have been bait, because the alternative makes me internally weep.
>>
>>28762612
Unless there were threats involved, that seems like a petty reason to cry. Just ignore the little homo shouting at you, no need to cry.
>>
>>28762949

Honestly I never really bothered with those games. Just purchased the coins to get what I wanted.
Kind of made the player harder, just because I had less to blow on balls/items/etc...

Point being calling what HG/SS did an improvement is kind of cherry picking. They *could* have added a way to get these things with the ease of the japanese games, but why bother? I mean certainly sacred gen II remakes would never do anything bad(like refusing to fix a level curve).

Now I wanna play the card game, though. Thank you for reminding me.
>>
>>28762754
I don't like the kid friendliness and cliche legendary story either. People who say "it was always for kids" don't realize how much less the first two gens held your hand. legendaries weren't handed to you on a silver platter. Plus shit like ghost marowak, smoking fishemen, gambling, burglar trainer class, team rocket just being much more natural and subdued, etc. Gave the feeling of world that was fun and mysterious to explore and a niche JRPG for people of all ages rather than a plastic amusement park.
sure RSE started some unfortunate trends, but I don't know that you can reallly blame it while giving Diamond and pearl a pass despite doing the same stuff. galactic is same as every other legendary obsessed death cult, and same cutesy contests and nice guy rival. Plus very flawed games in their own regard what with type distribution, too many HMs and all the evos that messed with perfectly well-designed mons. I love platinum, don't get me wrong, but I hope one day you can enjoy RSE a bit more. island theme and the things it brought to the table like abilities, secret bases, and double battles were great. To each his own though. I doubt I'll ever like 6th gen. Here's to gen 7 going back to its roots and ditching the babby exp.share and whatnot. Maybe even an "adult mode" where there are no tutorials and the NPCs speak to you like a human being instead of autisticly shouting and the difficulty is raised just a bit so the game doesn't play itself. lol it will only get worse from here
>>
>>28762963

See, I'm kind of wondering if the sweeping generalization of aw in button wasn't bait already.

Point being, a win button doesn't harm anybody that doesn't use the win button. In a, single player, experience you have done but cheat yourself. Why should I care what Timmy Mctryhard next door does with his game?
If the game was only a winbutton, then yes. Yes that would be amazingly shitty.
>>
>>28761385
ORAS was a modern RS, it was a step back from emerald and offered nothing new. For a game made in 2015 it felt like it could be made in 2010 and it would be exactly the same.

XY was 2 steps forward 3 steps back.
>>
File: 1473517156935.jpg (108KB, 800x702px) Image search: [Google]
1473517156935.jpg
108KB, 800x702px
Does anyone have that huge infographic about why ORAS sucks?
>>
>>28762980
I was presenting an exaggeration of casualization, a "you can't defend something THIS extreme" situation.

And then you defended it.

The problem with adding an insta-win button in a game is precisely because some people will take it. Some people will rob themselves of the experience of actually playing the game, and that is bad. We should not allow that in games. Retro Studios understood why it was bad, which is why, after putting an auto-win button in Donkey Kong Country Returns, they removed it when making Tropical Freeze.
>>
>>28762975

Oh I agree about Galactic, but the point is this thread seems to be about "we can't blame a game for it's flaws, pass the buck onto something else I didn't like."
Magma/Aqua started this, and that's worse than just being another evil team.

>evos that messed with perfectly well-designed mons.
I never gave an Electabuzz a chance, ever, but Electivire remains in top five favorite pokemon to this day.

>>28762963

Calling bait because you disagree isn't a good tactic, anon.
>>
>>28762625
Game corner sucked, it has pretty much always sucked, and the only time the minigames were actually fun was in D/P, with the clefairy extra win shit.

Contests were always easy, and removing the need for a skilled group of people to get anything other than mediocre blocks is a positive thing.

Granite cave was boring as fuck originally, and you actually had to backtrack for items anyway.

>ignoring great shit like adding day/night to R/S and soaring so you can skip a flying mon for the first time the series history

Yeah, none of the additions are great *rollseyes*.
You guys have fucking tunnel vision, you focus on one thing and ignore everything positive. About the only legitimate downsides were no battle frontier and no customisation.
>>
>>28762994

But I don't understand why thats *our* place to complain about it. Instead we should encourage people to not hit the button.

The ability to not hit the button shows actual strength of character, rather than just forcing people to do something. In the case of the exp share, I 100% understand this game is being geared towards children. It always was. This has always bothered me. They key system in black/white 2 was kind of crap, but i'd actually like a difficulty mode.

I can't just blame OR/AS, or any single game, for this because they've all done it. Every single game in the series has that one thing/mon you can use to absolutely demolish any semblance of difficulty in the entire play.

>>28762981

While I want to agree, dexnav was wonderful. You could debate soaring, but people talk like OR/AS is shit because what it is. The bigger problem are the things it didn't do.
>>
>>28762968
I lived in an abusive household until I was almost 19. Any kind of raised voice starts up the panic and the waterworks, at least for me. And the girl was Hispanic, so I'm sure it was just terrifying for some kid to come up and start yelling about Pokemon in a language she barely knows.
>>
>>28763005
Not him but I haven't used Fly on my team in like five playthroughs of Pokémon games. There's an alternative to using Fly that doesn't involve the soaring mechanic; it's called walking from Point A to Point B.
>>
>>28763005
>Game corner sucked, it has pretty much always sucked

No content sucks more.

>
Contests were always easy, and removing the need for a skilled group of people to get anything other than mediocre blocks is a positive thing.
Then UPDATE THE FUCKING MINIGAME, don't remove it entirely.

>Granite cave was boring as fuck originally
But I could actually catch the Pokemon I needed without backtracking.

>>ignoring great shit like adding day/night
Who the fuck cares? It's purely an aesthetic difference. And boy! Soaring! Too bad it activates a slow as fuck cutscene so I'd rather use Fly anyway and I STILL have to use THREE (3) water HMs just to traverse the latter half of the game.

>*rollseyes*.
well, fuck. I should have read this first so I knew this post was bait. Oh well.
>>
>>28763005

I'm inclined to agree, but as somebody who has been defending OR/AS these past few posts I think the real problem I have with the haters is that they dislike the games for the wrong reason.

We shouldn't be disappointed over cut content, HG/SS had just as much, but rather disappointed that they didn't *add enough.* Especially in relation to what the 3DS hardware could do.

Somebody mentioned wifi contests. That would have been wonderful.
>>
>>28761562
I think ORAS is still less boring than X&Y. At least Hoenn's a good region, but Kalos is the most bland shit ever.
>tfw my country is doomed to be garbage in Pokémon and nothing will save it now
Well. To be fair, France is shit.
>>
>>28763022
>Who the fuck cares? It's purely an aesthetic difference.

Now see, for the life of me I can't understand why you would say WHO THE FUCK CARES to something like that, but defend forcing minigames onto people for mundane things. The biggest thing I can think of is the constant minigames in the Mario and Luigi series these days. I kind of miss the simplistic approach.

>No content sucks more.

Precisely. No day and night sucks more than having day and night. One could argue the minigame is just a means to an end to get a pokebloc, so why bother with thing in the middle?

I'm also inclined to say I like backtracking, but that's a personal thing. I can understand your gripe there and why would hold it against your own, personal, rating of the game.
>>
>>28763012
>Instead we should encourage people to not hit the button.
Holy fuck. You just legit blew my mind.
I like you.
>>
>>28763024
at least you can can take a look at both sides of this argument. I agree they didn't remove anything of note but they could have added so much more cool shit, an opportunity they also missed in the DS remakes.
>>
File: 1364632189536.png (95KB, 1650x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1364632189536.png
95KB, 1650x1080px
>>28763024
>HGSS had just as much.

No it didn't. HGSS did not cut as much content from GSC as ORAS did from RSE. We had a discussion about this the other day and the person claiming what you're currently claiming was stretching things like "changed the design of the female MC" as cut content.

Almost everything HGSS cut was event-only content in Japanese Crystal, like the GS Ball and Odd Egg. It also cut room decoration from GSC, and a few aesthetic changes to Crystal like adding a roof to the Goldenrod Dept. Store and removing the patch of grass west of Violet that was added in Crystal (which was added because you could get Growlithe early there, but remakes don't use third version wild lists so the patch loses its purpose).

None of the above compares to

>half of Granite Cave
>90% of New Mauville
>several Trick House puzzles
>the entirety of the Game Corner, along with all minigames and music from it
>the Safari Game
>half of Mt. Pyre's interior (it's 6 floors to 4, but the fourth floor doesn't have any trainers in ORAS while the 6th floor in RSE did)
>Sky Pillar mach bike sections
>Scott
>Juan
>Battle Tents
>Mirage Tower
>Desert Underpass
>Altering Cave
>Trainer Tower
>Artisan Cave
>Gym Leader rematches
>Magma Hideout
>double battles against two individual trainers who see you at the same time
>the Battle Frontier

I'm nitpicking in this list of course by including more minor things and FRLG content, but that's because you have to nitpick to try to get a list of what HGSS cut that isn't event stuff.
>>
File: 1417759016123.png (133KB, 378x276px) Image search: [Google]
1417759016123.png
133KB, 378x276px
>Last Pokemon game I really enjoyed was HG/SS
>X & Y were okay
>Couldn't even finish ORAS because I was so bored
I'm scared /vp/
I'm scared I'm growing out of Pokemon and won't like SM
>>
More features doesn't mean better
>>
File: 20160925_124144.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160925_124144.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>28761674

This thread is now a game time thread
Go!
>>
>>28762843
Dude, stop trying to say voltorb flip was anything more than shitty filler. It was as fun as having teeth pulled, it was the ABSOLUTE WORST minigame in the series.

I have been a lot happier with nothing (and not having things stuck as coin bought) than I ever was with the game corner, and voltorb flip? I would have paid an extra 10 bucks for them not to include it at all.
>>
>>28763080
It's just ORAS

I thought the same, but then I replayed XY and had a blast
>>
>>28761385
>The games get objectively easier in every way with every new gen
fify
>>
>>28763114
Dude, Voltorb Flip was fun and pretty complex for what was basically picross + minesweeper

fun fact: only 1 situation that only showed up in the last level was unsolvable
>>
>>28763062

You say a player character doesn't count. You can't just plug year ears because you liked the game.

So if you shorten this list down its really
Battle Frontier/Scott while are inclusive, and many anons have agreed the battle frontier wasn't fun. Instead you should fault them for not adding something better, but then again the maison has triple/rotation battles so thats already a major improvement over the battle tower they are based off of. Artisian Cave wars part of this, and congrats on the large empty space with only Smeargle.
The Trick House puzzles are a grave loss, yes.
The Game Corner was also cut from HG/SS international, which to people here matters very much because not all Japanese.
The safari game was a means to an end to catch pokemon. The area, and the pokemon within, are still contained complete with bike puzzles.
Making Mr. Pyre smaller isn't a horrible thing, mostly because the trainers within amounted to the same things. You can literally never notice this.
Sky Pillars bike sections were not present the first time you visit in Emerald to Summon Rayquaza. They just took notes from that, and once again they were a mild inconvenience at best rather than a real "puzzle"
Juan was mentioned, but ultimate just a reskin of Wallace. He added little to the plot, and you may as well argue Wallace as champion as cut content.
Battle tends have been condensed into Mauville city, if I recall. Battle something or other.
Mirage Tower was a forgetful sidequest that I'm having a hard time remembering. It hurt nothing to remove it. Arguing this against an entire player character is kinda silly.
I suppose I can give you gym leader rematches, but they were essentially glorified NPC matches anyway. I have never gotten the hype behind them but I can see why some people do.
The trainers were not removed, still battled, and this could be seen as a bonus who hate having doubles shoved in their faces.
Some of this content is also Emerald only, not R/S.
>>
>>28763038
>t, but defend forcing minigames onto people for mundane things
Training your Pokemon for contests isn't mundane.

>One could argue the minigame is just a means to an end to get a pokebloc, so why bother with thing in the middle?
And one could argue the pokeblock is just a means to an end to get the ribbon, so BETTER CUT OUT POKEBLOCKS AND JUST LET THE GAME GIVE YOU RIBBONS AUTOMATICALLY, AM I RIGHT?
>>
File: 1433567607451.jpg (36KB, 322x378px) Image search: [Google]
1433567607451.jpg
36KB, 322x378px
>>28763114
>It was as fun as having teeth pulled, it was the ABSOLUTE WORST minigame in the series.
>>
>>28763129

To continue this, Altering Cave was a gimmick of the hardware that was removed. Nothing of note was every in there and its exploring was lost on people unable to connect to other games.

Manga hideout is bueno, I suppose, but it exists in a different place and has no bearing on Alpha Sapphire's story.
>>
File: 1434046783150.jpg (36KB, 500x427px) Image search: [Google]
1434046783150.jpg
36KB, 500x427px
>>28763129
>Some of this content is also Emerald only, not R/S.
THEN WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU COUNTING KRIS?
>>
>>28763132

Training your pokemon for contests isn't mundane, yer right. Especially because they fixed it and didn't force me into a useless minigame. I can accomplish the same thing, and do it better.

The only thing I can give you is the legacy berry machine not letting you play the game for old times sake,but removing the game is 100% a good thing in terms of making pokeblocs.
>>
>>28763107

Don't leave me hanging now guys
>>
>>28763148

Because you said we were nitpicking. If you can count things not in game, why can't I?
>>
>>28763152
The Pokeblock minigame was fun though
>>
>>28763158
I disgaree, but thats the wonder if opinions.
Removing it was nice, but giving an option to play it on the fake blender would have been nice for people that cared.
>>
>>28763157
I WAS counting it. I called it a stretch but I was counting it, and your list is still like four entries compared to the several dozen I can make for RSE. Some other things I could include on the list are having a roaming Legendary, the Berry Blending minigame, and sheen.
>>
>>28763132

By this logic we should cut out everstones passing down natures and iv breeding. It cuts down time for things you could otherwise enjoy doing.

I like riding my bike.
>>
>>28763167
There's still a roaming legendary in ORAS with the Eon Ticket
>>
>>28763014
It's also called wasting hours of your life.

>>28763022
No, because with the way the game corner prizes work, I'd rathet not have them at all and just skip all the tedium. Even just buying coins took fucking forever (just getting Porygon in gen 1 was annoying as fuck with their stupid setup.) I am legitimately happy they removed it.

As for the Pokeblock minigame, eh? It wasn't that fun to begin with, why try to salvage it?

Abd granite cave? Oh no, you actually have to explore places and backtrack, rather than have a linear as fuck experience. The horror.

>who the fuck cares
Dude your autism is showing. These flat upgrades more than make up for the negatives you have listed. But keep arguing faggot.
>>
>>28763167
Instead of a single roaming legendary they add a good half dozen plus legendaries to catch. I'd find this more than fair.
If you count removing sheen as a good thing I'm going to wonder what yer smoking.
Meanwhile you managed to make around, three four, entries of actual cut non nitpick content. If anything this is,actually, about the same compared to room decoration, forcing a legendary on you, removing location based evolutions, gamecorner, odd egg, the ability to buy coins, a player character, ULTRA CASUALIZED sliding puzzles in the ruins, finding berries on trees(that helped far more than apricorns), and changing a bunch of gyms for the worse.
>>
>>28763187
Does it actually roam? I never got the Eon Ticket, I thought you just battled it at Southern Island.

Still waiting for those other 20 things HGSS supposedly cut. I even gave you two free ones by mentioning the Dept. Store roof and Route 35 grass patch.

>>28763191
>wasting hours of your life
You're playing a video game.
>>
>>28763128
I like both picross and minesweeper, I hated voltorb flip. It was fucking appalling and a waste of time.
>>
>>28763195
>>28763062

You two have ruined both ORAS and HGSS for me. Fuck you. Fuck you both.
>>
File: 1385425182813.jpg (29KB, 555x403px) Image search: [Google]
1385425182813.jpg
29KB, 555x403px
>>28763195
LOCATION-BASED EVOLUTIONS DIDN'T EVEN FUCKING EXIST IN GSC HOLY SHIT WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

HOW THE FUCK IS SHIT LIKE ROOM DECORATION MORE IMPORTANT THAN NEW FUCKING AREAS OR THE FUCKING BATTLE FRONTIER

THE BATTLE TENTS ARE UNIQUE RULESETS BASED ON FRONTIER FACILITIES, THEY ARE NOT IN MAUVILLE

I AM GOING TO FIND WHERE YOU LIVE AND PUNCH YOU I SWAER TO GOT IT'S 7AM AND I HAVE NOT SLEPT AND YOU ARE MAKING ME THIS ANGRY ARGUING ABOUT A CHILDREN'S GAME ON A VIETNAMESE CLAYMATION IMAGEBOARD
>>
>>28763195
>>28763195

I feel as if you should add the butchered "GB Sounds" and refusal to fix the level curve to this list. People list things wrong with ORAS because they weren't fixed/updated, so we should be impartial and do the same here
>>
>>28763213
Sounds like you sucked at it desu
http://www.dragonflycave.com/johto/voltorb-flip
>>
>>28763233

I removed them from games of the SAME GENERATION that had these features. Things not removed from any other game after.

Also we got a straight upgrade to the Ruby/Sapphire Battle Tower. We have the move tutors, we have actual boss battles, we have the ribbons, and guess what? We had the addition of triple and rotation battles.
OR/AS are a straight upgrade to Ruby/Sapphire.

Nevermind I find more challenge in this ONE SINGLE PLACE than I did in the entirety of the whole fucking Frontier which was just outbullshitting, still stupid, AI to get gold symbols. I legitimately don't get why people miss this place.
>>
>>28763233
>making your own pseudo secret base in your room
>somehow worse than altering cave and its zubat or mirage tower which was literally nothing
>obscure rulesets that is done objectively better in Mauville.

...what is the problem again?
>>
OP is right, if you don't think this is true you're just a genVunner.
>>
>>28763256
>I removed them from games of the SAME GENERATION that had these features.

THAT'S NOT EVEN WHAT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT, WE WERE TALKING ABOUT GSC->HGSS AND RSE->ORAS, I'M NOT BRINGING UP SHIT LIKE CUSTOMIZATION OR RIDING POKEMON FOR A REASON BECAUSE THAT'S FUCKING DUMB

>>28763263
I'll assume you're a different person so I won't caps lock at you. Altering Cave was a minor nitpick, but anon hasn't brought up a non-nitpick for GSC that wasn't event-based.

New Mauville only has one "obscure ruleset" and that's the dude with the Inverse Battle. How does that compare to something like the Factory-based tent, where you were given random Pokémon to use, or the Arena-based tent where your team of three is placed into three separate 1v1 matches and the trainer who gets the best two out of three wins the match?
>>
>>28763289
*Mauville only has

Didn't mean to add the "New"
>>
File: GET A LOAD OF THIS.jpg (10KB, 254x199px) Image search: [Google]
GET A LOAD OF THIS.jpg
10KB, 254x199px
>>28761385
>implying Gen 4 is better than Gen 3
>implying Gen 6 is better than Gen 5
>>
>>28763289

So cut content is fine as long as it's not cut content from the generation it's remade from?

You realize this is actually a more damning strike than removing trivial things like battle tends(Replaced by the superior institute), and areas that have ZERO RELEVANCE.
>>
>>28761385
>rbe
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>28763289

The thing is any removed location you've brought up is a minor nitpick, and removing the puzzle was a nod to Emerald which removed the puzzle the *single time you were required to scale it.*
Provided you only go there once, the experience is just the same as emerald.

The only things I can realistic give you are things you didnt even mention: Kyogre vs Groudon fighting in the middle of town, and the cutscene that plays when Rayquaza breaks them up. While we got content to replace it, this was nowhere near as hype.

Meanwhile you bring up things like Smeargle cave which redefine filler and count this as "content" for some mysterious reason. And also overlaps with battle frontier gone.
>>
>>28763329
because typos are so crazy

kys
>>
>>28761385
>RBE

That aside, Ruby and Sapphire are probably inferior to ORAS, sure. I'd say Emerald and ORAS are on equal footing.

Emerald has more challenge and end-game.
ORAS has all the new gimmicks (DexNav, Soaring, etc.) and online play.

I can't say I like one more than the other. They're both equally valid for different reasons.

>M-My opinion is fact
Get your own head checked, fucko.
>>
>>28763198
I may like playing videogames, but walking through the same route a bazillion tines for the sake of travel is a load of crap. This is why pretty much every game includes some form of faster travel.
>>
>>28763325
>So cut content is fine as long as it's not cut content from the generation it's remade from?

I'm saying it's COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TO WHAT WE'RE ARGUING.

And why the fuck do you keep bringing up room decoration when arguing about things that are irrelevant? I never touch room decoration when I play GSC because 90% of the decorations you can get are locked behind Mystery Gift and the last 10% is randomly given to you by your mom. The Mirage Tower is something I visit every time I play Emerald, it has a gimmick otherwise only seen in the Sky Pillar (and guess what, the Sky Pillar puzzle was also removed from ORAS), and it adds a larger event to getting the fossil than just grabbing one out of the dirt. How is this not a more major addition to a game than room decoration in GSC?

>>28763332
I always count gameplay-related things as higher than story-related things. Artisan Cave is a unique cave layout, and I like going through caves, so it being in the game makes a difference to me.
>>
>>28763245
It honestly doesn't matter if you are good or bad at a thing, it can still suck.

Some people are amazing at Pokemon go. It still sucks (hoping future updates fix it.)
>>
>>28763349
Read the thread. Most of us have come to the conclusion that ORAS are one of the best games content-wise, and obviously better than RSE. Reasons are listed in numerous posts.
>>
>>28763379
>Most of us have come to the conclusion that ORAS are one of the best games content-wise, and obviously better than RSE
No we haven't.
>>
>>28763379
I don't even see how it's debatable really. Like, what it comes down to is when you played it and how you feel about the older games. Take someone who has zero stake in this and let them play ORAS first and then give them RSE and I bet my life that they wouldn't even finish the latter as it would be a colossal step down
>>
>>28763391
People have trouble going back to video game generations they aren't familiar with, yes. I found by talking with people on this subject that usually people can't go more than one generation back than the console they grew up with (i.e. I grew up with an SNES, can play NES fine, but can't get into Atari games). So your hypothesis would probably be correct, but it wouldn't prove your point because of this reason.
>>
>>28763358

So cut content that you deem matters, but cut content that is just as important, in objective relevance is not.
I'm not really seeing the problem here.

Like if these were related to gameplay rather than quirk "one time and the place collapses" that you may have some reason to visit, then some reason I could visit this. But apparently attaining certain mons(that originated in this gen), proto secret bases, and the like.

Nevermind you neglect to comment on the things added to replace then, that are upgrades in some respects, and just assume that "well this cut shit doesnt matter because I like these games more"

At least stay consistent.

>>28763391

See i've been there. ORAS is a DRASTIC step up from R/S and about even with Emerald in the end.
>>
>>28763379
>Read the thread
Take your own advice.
>>
>>28763442

Started in the GB era and just have a horrible time going back to the GBA shit. It just wasn't fun and it's nice they shit out a version of Hoenn I can at least tolerate. It's not a game I can say is in my top ten, but holy shit its better than the slog that was old Emerald just because it doesnt remove core mechanics from the games that came before it. Simple shit like day/night and the like.

Yanno what ORAS can do that RSE cant? Connect to the generation before it.
>>
File: 1435529144306.jpg (54KB, 389x365px) Image search: [Google]
1435529144306.jpg
54KB, 389x365px
>>28763379
>Most of us have come to the conclusion that ORAS are one of the best games
>>
>>28763447
It's not about whether cut content from GSC/RSE is more important than cut content from DPPt/XY. We AREN'T TALKING ABOUT THE CONTENT FROM DPPT/XY. We're talking about the content from GSC/RSE, that is the scope of our comparison. It has always been the scope of our comparison.

An area that you have to travel through to achieve something is related to gameplay.

The reason I call room decoration irrelevant is because, as I said, 90% of the content is locked behind Mystery Gift and the other 10% is locked behind random drops when your mom decides to buy something. Unless you really like taking out and putting away your bed, it's very difficult to make any use of the feature. It's not nearly as important as adding a new location.

>>28763456
ORAS technically can't connect to Gen V. Pokébank can connect to Gen V, and ORAS can connect to Pokébank.
>>
>>28763473

Meanwhile content also locked behind mystery gift/e-reader and the like was added into ORAS main storyline. Something they didn't bother to add in HG/SS. Eon Ticket, Deoxys, the secret base regi dolls, the like.

Meanwhile you talk about locations that add about 10 seconds of "content" to a game. I mean, tell me one thing you achieved in Altering Cave? Mirage Tower that you cant get elsewhere?

As I think thats what he meant. I can bring mons up from older games, while R/S/E completely locked your Johto mons back there. Despite it being a big innovation in the last game. Also removing day/night.
>>
>>28763486
I don't place a high value on event-only content, which is why I keep devaluing it when you mention it in your argument against HGSS.

Altering Cave was just me nitpicking, as I said earlier. I don't have any value for it, other than the hours I wasted trying to figure out what its purpose was when I was younger it had unique music for the game and everything, it was mysterious and it really seemed like it had a special purpose that wasn't made unavailable to regions outside Japan

Mirage Tower, as I said, has a gimmick you can't see outside Sky Pillar, and has a fossil at the end of it, which allows the other fossil to appear later. It also adds a piece of mystery to the area because it only appears randomly, like how Mirage Island in RSE only appears randomly. If it didn't spawn when you were initially looking through the desert, it would be a thing you come back to search for occasionally.
>>
>>28763530
>gimmick

See. Theres the word. Gimmick. It's not content, it's a gimmick. You claim it adds "mystery" to the area, but earlier you said you didn't place priority on "Story" based things.

I don't see why you count as content is any better than what I count as content, especially because content is just content. I cannot, for the life of me, say HG/SS was better about cut content when OR/AS did the same damn things to the same extent. I mean, I could go on about things like the berserk gene(an actual battle item) being gone, but at this point I just think you didn't like G/S/C or something.
>>
>>28763695
How is a gimmick not content? It's like a Gym puzzle.

And you can have something be mysterious regarding gameplay. Like the original Mirage Island has nothing to do with RSE's plot, it's a completely optional area, but trying to get to it is completely unknown other than "sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn't." I remember talking with other people and coming up with theories on what you need to do to find it, as if there was a super obscure solution like the Regi puzzles. In the end it was just a random number that got generated each day that determined whether it would appear, but we didn't know that.

Furthermore, GSC are my favorite games in the series due to nostalgia and were my first "real" Pokémon games (I played Blue before but Silver and later Crystal were the first games I personally owned for just myself). I fucking love GSC despite its flaws. Shit like decorating your room just doesn't stand out to me. The only memorable experience I have with Mystery Gift in Gen 2 is the time my friend and I tried to do a Mystery Gift and some weird shit happened and my game got corrupted and I cried like a bitch and we both promised not to tell anyone about it, he was a bro. I sometimes look through the disassembled source code of the games for fun, to learn neat things about the game. Don't try to tell me I don't like GSC.
>>
>>28763758
It just seems to me that you don't, because you refuse to justify actual flaws and instead proceed to cherrypick things that didn't really add anything to the game. I still can't give you a gimmick being content.

But aside from this I managed to fuck up a mystery gift at some point. Got that glitch unnown thing. Wiped 6 boxes of mons with level 0 Primeape, corrupted battle house trainer, and I kept get a weird error saying something like "windows are ready for popping."

People thought I was lying/my Gameboy was haunted until this was properly document almost a decade later.
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.