[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did this lazy, irredeemably broken pile of shit manage to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 15

File: genwun.png (2KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
genwun.png
2KB, 320x288px
How did this lazy, irredeemably broken pile of shit manage to spawn such a great series?
>>
cuz it was only broken in a few ways and most of those ways were irrelevant because the game was so good and it was new and refreshing and fun and also you were 12

and the rest of the brokenness was charming and funny, like missingo.
>>
>>28693563
>lazy
I'll take a wild guess and say you're a fucking retard who has no idea how much gameplay they got in compared to how limiting technology was back then.
>>
>>28693563
Same way another irredeemably broken pile of shit got people to talk about pokemon again. Collecting is fun, games are fun.
>>
File: 1474444741135.jpg (347KB, 780x1048px) Image search: [Google]
1474444741135.jpg
347KB, 780x1048px
>>28693595
>cuz it was only broken in a few ways

(You)

>I'll take a wild guess and say you're a fucking retard who has no idea how much gameplay they got in compared to how limiting technology was back then.

At some point you have to know your limits and not push out a broken buggy shitpile of a product.
>>
>>28693638
Yet not a single child cared, because they don't give a shit about mechanics.
>>
>>28693563
It was good at time, for the time it was released, but it became outdated fast.
>>
File: words.jpg (78KB, 606x419px) Image search: [Google]
words.jpg
78KB, 606x419px
>>28693675
>it's okay for it to be shitty, it's for kids
>>
>>28693563
Good basics. The idea is basic yet really varied and allows for easy expansion. Also encourages playing with friends if you're not a pathetic faggot.
>>
>>28693638
Assembly is one of the most fucked coding languages there is. It's more convoluted and hard to understand than your mother's rationale for not aborting you.
>>
>>28693638
Those are just features of the game.
>>
>>28693697
When that was the literal only Pokemon gen in existence, those mechanics were just the norm.
>>
>>28693638
A good chunk of those aren't even "problems" but rather "I don't like how they did this". Also, young people don't realize how fucked games used to be before the modern era. Games didn't have nearly as much beta testing or bugfixing back then. And like the others have said, none of that detracted from the experience at the time because Pokemon was new and no one knew better. I wouldn't want to play the originals nowadays because standards have increased, but back then it was fine.
>>
>>28693563
The concept behind the games was revolutionary. TRADING

Still probably the most broken games I've seen compared to the Atari
>>
>>28693675
I distinctly remember thinking that Rage was fucking retarded even at the age of 6.
>>
>>28693638
This makes me want to play gen 1.
>>
>>28693675
Most kids don't care about that kind of thing, you're right, but if you go back to the games you'll definitely notice a lot of the changes made since then. I played yellow again on the VC when it came out and its crazy how much stuff I forgot the later gens added. You couldn't even see the power or effect of moves back then. Not to mention many of them being easily exploitable. It was great for its time, but it has aged pretty poorly in comparison to practically every generation after it.
>>
>>28693790
So basically, genwun was sold entirely on a gimmick and carried by fad status.
>>
>>28693826
Just going from gen 1 to 2 is like fucking insane
>>
>>28693563
Because by playing normally 99% of people will never find out about any glitch, or at least notice them (referring to the ones for combat moves).

Also there's a reason if Pokémon became a retardedly huge success while literally any other monster catcher game quickly fell into oblivion after a popularity spike, the game was solid, not lazy.
>>
>>28693638
Most of these bugs wouldn't be that easy to find if you played the game normally. Playing it competitively you could see these bugs, but I don't know many people would be in the situation where they run out of pp on a ghost type.
>>
>>28693906
>Also there's a reason if Pokémon became a retardedly huge success while literally any other monster catcher game quickly fell into oblivion after a popularity spike, the game was solid, not lazy.

No, it just managed to attain fad status. Things that do this don't have to be quality.
>>
>dude GLITCHES lmao
No one fucking cares you dumb fucking Unovabortions.
>>
File: 19252476.jpg (2MB, 1400x1700px) Image search: [Google]
19252476.jpg
2MB, 1400x1700px
>>28693589
>a few
>>
>>28693900
No, it was sold entirely on the most genius fucking marketing in video game history. I don't know what sorcery Gamefreak's advertising department has managed to perfect but they are amazing at what they do.
>>
File: Oh you.png (309KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Oh you.png
309KB, 450x450px
>>28693563
>>28693638
wew
just wew
You're a pretty far-gone jaded asshole for a kid that missed out on the Original games
>>
File: triggered pink guy.jpg (12KB, 320x337px) Image search: [Google]
triggered pink guy.jpg
12KB, 320x337px
>>28693938
>that image
So much is wrong with that I don't know where to begin
>>
File: 1401381435241.jpg (117KB, 392x500px) Image search: [Google]
1401381435241.jpg
117KB, 392x500px
>>28693938
>>
Broken, but not lazy at all. Had to actually cut back things they were doing thanks to memory limits.
>>
>>28693938
Poor picture. Gives a good idea of the genwunner mindset in general though. Literally unable to accept the many flaws of gen 1.
>>
>>28693739
Not him, and I don't consider the game to lazily done, but this was an entire company with hired professionals and we have random people today making games at that quality if not higher than rby

I don't dislike the game, but I feel like this is a kinda poor arguement
>>
>>28693563
When they programmed Mew in, glicthes came and they didnt do much bug testing.

Later games reduced bugs and glitches.

Japanese red and green has more goitches than jap blue. Yellow the least glitchy.

Also 190 pokemon was going to be in game.
>>
>>28693996
tl;dr
Genwunners refuse to accept that rby were shitty broken games
>>
>>28694013
Game Freak was a doujin circle lead by a literal autist when green and red are made
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 567x416px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 567x416px
>>28693938
>most of those annotations are "then don't use the move durrrrr"

wew
>>
>>28693900

>genwun

The fact that people even use this silly spelling is evident of the massive butthurt from missing the golden age of pokemon.

Sorry you missed out, underage faggot. Enjoy you shitty retarded trashbag pokemon or whatever they're shitting out nowadays.
>>
>>28693563
>>28693638
t.fag who missed pokemania.
stay btfo
>>
>>28693638
Did they fix any of this crap on the 3DS virtual console?
>>
>>28694194
I've played every game since RBGY and 1st gen is garbage. Inhale water, genwunner.
>>
>>28693938
this >>28694125
just saying "don't use the move then hurr!!!!" doesn't fix the problem
>>
Because your judging them against newer games instead of what they were at the time?

People expected less from games because most were shit, more so on handheld devices. The balance issues weren't problematic, glitch issues weren't super common, and you could play the entire game and against then post game with friends without running into them with ease. Things are real fancy now, but video games were still young in the 90s so that "pile of shit" was pretty neatband less smelly then the other piles. Once we have holo decks all video games will seem like crap in comparison, because new technology and experiences just keep making things more fancy.
>>
>>28694223
I played Pokémon since Gen 1 and mechanics-wise Red was the most broken one I played. Cool game, but the second gen games improved upon them a lot. Like individual designs may suck for some later ones an they end up really linear, but at least things mostly work as intended.
>>
>>28694232
Nope, the only things that were changed involved reducing the flashing lights of some animations (presumably to decrease the chance of triggering seizures) and Jynx was made purple in Yellow.

Same shitty games they always were.
>>
>>28694194
Agreed.
These little kids just can't stand knowing they weren't around when the Orginal games were new and magical.
It's different for them Becsaue they got spoiled on the new games then went BACK to play gen1. So of course they don't like it, they're baby faggots.
>>
>>28694253
>this lad is unable to differentiate your from you're
Wew, lad.

Never saw this many bugs in a Mario game though. Ever.
>>
Omniprescent glitches and general quirkiness due to game image compression is probably my favorite aspect of the 8- through 32-bit eras of gaming.

Do I enjoy modern, polished gaming experiences? You bet. But that doesn't take away any of the enjoyment of opening up the hood of a cartridge game where literally every byte counted.
>>
>>28694013
We have random people making games using infinitely more sophisticated programming languages and shit like Unity. I'll say it again, assembly code is fucking wild. It's one step away from direct hardware interface. You literally shift information around between a couple registers. It's like trying to code and play Towers of Hanoi at the same time. And this wasn't even standard assembly, this was GameBoy specific to match the hardware.

And these literally who motherfuckers built an AI, a data storage system, and a never before seen serial communication interface out of it. If you're not impressed by this, you can get right the fuck out.
>>
>>28694027
That's not true at all. The glitches exist because they had over 100 data slots that they didn't use. When the player manipulates the game to access those empty data slots, it had nothing to load so a glitch would be loaded in place of a pokemon
>>
>>28694335
How many bugs are really going to crop up when all Mario does is run and jump?

Look at the more open ended games if you want a fair comparison. Stuff like Dragon Age still has a shit ton of bugs because of the sheer number of possibilities.
>>
The real problems with gen 1 are the AI and enemy movesets. All of that other stuff is an annoyance or minor balance issue at worst, but the AI and movesets make it kind of boring to play through nowadays.

>1 hp left
>enemy spams growl for 6 turns
>>
>>28693992
Go point by point like the 10/3/12 anon did. Otherwise it shows that you don't have an argument. :^)
>>
Cards. The cards were popular, not the games but more games would mean more cards. The games got good.
>>
>>28693563
In all honesty? idunno

I DO KNOW
that when I was in 1st grade, Pokemon was the hottest shit.

If I wasn't outside catching bugs or running around, I was inside playing POKAMAN
>>
File: MissingNo..png (117KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
MissingNo..png
117KB, 560x560px
Did anyone else try to use the Missing No. glitch on your coin case to get infinite coins? And proceed to get extremely disappointed that all you got was a massive amount of individual coin cases.
>>
>>28694335
>picking out grammar
You sure showed his argument what's for.
>bugs in a mario game
Go watch some tutorials about Mario 64 (also Ocarina of Time has a bunch too).
>>
I think what I can take away from this thread.

Is that it's a goddamn miracle Game Freak got pokemon to run on the gameboy in the first place. who the fuck thought it was a good idea to take an infamously weak handheld that has trouble with basic fonts and turn it into an epic turn based RPG?
>>
>>28693563
Why is Magneton's sprite flipped?
>>
>>28693938
Yes, the guy who made the picture is autistic but he's got a point, the myriad of bugs gen one had happened pretty rarely didn't make the game any less enjoyable for the average player.
>>
>>28694805
They wanted the portability of handhelds so kids could travel around with their pokemon games and trade with other kids away from home. From a business perspective, it was the right move.
>>
>>28694430
It is. 190 was going to be made out of 256 slots.
>>
>>28693595
the thing is, Pokemon was already slightlly outdated by the time it was released
>>
>>28695753
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>28693563
>irredeemably broken pile of shit

The only people who say this are bandwagoning underagefags who didn't actually play gen 1. There were bugs/glitches but a large number of them aren't even noticeable and you need to do a specific sequence of steps to even find the worse ones.

Gen 1 was fun because it was one of the only if not the only multiplayer games with so many characters to battle and collect with and the designs are appealing to everyone.
>>
>>28695786
>EKANS USED WRAP!
Also the abundance of nomoves on a lot of Pokémon is pretty easy to notice.
>>
>>28693638
I love how you can tell kids made this because they needed to censor the word fuck.

Sorry you missed pokemania during your childhood, it was an awesome ride. Stay salty.
>>
>>28695904
Wrap can be dealt with if you have something fast. It's not any worse than Shadow Tag.

Pokemon having less move variety isn't a bug. It's the first game of the series for fuck's sake
>>
>>28694270
No shit. Most good sequels improve upon the original game's mechanics. Doesn't make the original game bad, just dated. That's why they do remakes every gen and people buy them.
>>
>>28693925
>fad status
>Currently celebrating 20 years of existence
>>
>>28693925
>Breached the generational gap
>Anime is still ongoing
>Currently celebrating 20th anniversary

Are you retarded or something? The mere fact that we have younger fans screaming "genwunner!" at the older fans speaks volumes on the lasting appeal of the series.
>>
>>28693638
And yet, here you are, on a board dedicated to that heaping pile of shit.
You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>28695980
>>28696098
Like was stated in the OP, it started as a fad, but eventually morphed into an actually good series (around Gen 3 or so)
>>
>>28696098
>>28696236
It's just the same people who like console wars.
>>
File: best gen coming through.jpg (98KB, 470x235px) Image search: [Google]
best gen coming through.jpg
98KB, 470x235px
>>28696265
>but eventually morphed into an actually good series (around Gen 3 or so)
>around Gen 3 or so

This is what younger Pokemon fans actually believe.
>>
>>28696372
Gen two was great.
>>
>>28696372
Gen II was a cheap shitty cash-in on Gen I's popularity.
>>
>>28696435
Nah, it was planned way back in 1997 but delayed.

Also was intended to be the last in the series, seeing how most franchise didnt always get sequals.
>>
File: best remakes.jpg (55KB, 460x210px) Image search: [Google]
best remakes.jpg
55KB, 460x210px
>>28696393
Currently replaying SoulSilver before Sun/Moon launch. I'm still upset they removed the Pokemon player follow feature in Black/White.
>>
File: 1316223533667.png (376KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1316223533667.png
376KB, 600x600px
>>28696098
>older fans
I don't know why i get the feeling that, the overwhelming majority of people on this board who yell "underage" at the first sign of disagreement, are below 20.
Like they just came out of high school with their still undeveloped brains, and think they're actual adults.
>>
>>28696435
Lol, gen 2 moved the franchise forward the most, thanks to Iwata's involvement. You can thank gen 2 for introducing:
- Eggs/Breeding/Gender
- Day/Night cycle
- Real-time events
- Weekly cycle
- Berries
- Hold items
- Shiny Pokemon
- Pokerus
- Alternate forms
- Trainer re-matches
- Player base/home customization
- Mystery gift
- Player gender

And that's just off the top of my head. Gen 2 was also the only gen to progress the previous gen's story until Black 2/White 2 came along.
>>
>>28696634
>- Eggs/Breeding/Gender
Good

>- Day/Night cycle
Pointless

>- Real-time events
Pointless

>- Weekly cycle
Pointless

>- Berries
Were shit until Gen 3

>- Hold items
Good

>- Shiny Pokemon
Pointless

>- Pokerus
So rare it was basically pointless

>- Alternate forms
...What?

>- Trainer re-matches
Decent, wasn't good until Gen III though

>- Player base/home customization
Pointless

>- Mystery gift
Pointless

>- Player gender
Pointless

What a fucking improvement.
>>
>>28696634
One of my favorite things is that Koga gets promoted to the Elite 4 in Sinnoh. It's a nice touch (and I guess Bruno moving there is okay, but eh).
>>
>>28696773
>Sinnoh
I meant Johto.
>>
>>28693638
Since we're talking about how it got popular, how many of those do you think are actually relevant?

Most of the players at that point would have been kids and casuals, how many of those things do you think people in those groups would notice and be bothered by?
>>
File: 1474340639154.jpg (31KB, 615x456px) Image search: [Google]
1474340639154.jpg
31KB, 615x456px
>>28693563
Making video games is hard.
>>
>>28696543
It's funny that I get the feeling that you're a younger fan in the 20-24 year-old range and you feel the need to insult the opposition because you can't come up with an actual counter-argument.
>>
>>28696739
>- Alternate forms ...What?
I'll take what is Unown for $500.
>>
>>28696867
-You felt wrong
-Counter arguments are only meant to be used against actual arguments in the first place
>you feel the need to insult the opposition...
Look at the rest of this thread (board more like), and your own post for that matter.
>>
How did this lazy, irredeemably broken pile of shit manage to spawn such great airplanes?
>>
>>28696505
Great taste.

I want the space world demo from 97 of Gold and silver, slowking was catachable in the wild and different beta mons.
>>
>>28693938
>Better have an X Defense in case you get crit
I don't think words can properly describe how retarded that is.
>>
>>28693638

> Bunch of random, hard to trigger conditions for obscure glitches.

Liteally who gives a fuck?
>>
>>28696236
>Not liking the first game in the series means you should like the rest of it
Genwunner logic is amazing.
>>
>>28697012
Because they learned from it and made improvements
>>
>>28697028
Getting a proto of Gold/Silver back when they were "Pokemon 2" is a personal holy grail in gaming of mine. Heck, I'd love to see Pokemon prototypes in general get leaked. Only one on the net I know of is that German (I think) proto of Ruby, but that's near final with debug features left in.
>>
>>28697249
Yeah theres also the pre release version of them, which things are leftover in the final games.

Early Gold and Silver spaceworld demo or 80 percent build didn't have genders or breeding I think nor any gb color support. A skateboard feature was made too.
>>
>>28696739
It's still impressive, especially if you look at the core features added from all the later games combined:
- Weather
- Seasons
- Ribbons
- Pokemon Contests
- Secret bases
- Special/Physical split
- Natures
- Abilities
- Double/Triple battles
- Pokemon box organization
- Berry growing
- Super Training
- Pokemon Amie/Refresh
- Online capabilities
- Gym leader re-matches

That's spread between four generations. Compare it to everything gen 2 added alone. And to be fair, just like the previous list, this is only core features that have stuck between titles, no one-offs.
>>
>le gen1 is glitchy meme

people know the glitches because they played the fuck out if it. It was one of the biggest selling games of all time. SM64 is no less glitchy

This is how you tell a later gen babby from an old fan, they will all tell you it's unplayable.
>>
>>28697894
It is unplayable though especially by today's standards.
>>
>>28697944
>It is unplayable though

nope. I replayed gen 1 two years ago and it was fine.

>WAAAH THIS MARIO GAME IS UNPLAYABLE I CAN'T GROUNDPOUND OR MOVE TO THE LEFT :_;
>>
>>28695692
What I meant was that Mew had nothing to do with what caused the glitches
>>
>>28694335
SMW might be one of the most exploitable games ever released. You can do shit in it that would make Pokemon jelous.

Any Mario game released before Sunshine isn't much better. The 2D ones have something like the Town Map Glitch (warp to credits) at bare minimum, and Mario 64 can be exploited to win in 5 minutes with 0 stars.
>>
>>28698272
>SMW might be one of the most exploitable games ever released.
One of? Is there another game you can literally re-write the code of while playing?
>>
>>28697592
The game was delayed for gbc support, more new moves, breeding, genders, more new pokemon.

Wasn't going to be 251 in the early version considering there was a version in the office that didn't ended at the demos end and was 80 percent done in build. They wanted it to come out earlier.

Certain Pokemon only existed from gen 1 but some from gen 2. Some didn't have their evolutions yet and some like slowking was a seperate species at level 5 or so already.

I recall they once worried about breeding due to parents concern in some old mag.
>>
>>28698378
Pretty much every game ever released on Nintendo hardware before the year 2000 has this. It's just how deep we've dug in each game to determine how much we can do with it, along with the hardware limitations. SMW's entire RAM and ROM have been mapped, giving people the ability to pretty much freely modify it since we know how every action will impact every value in memory.
>>
>>28693938
>retarded autist make gigantic picture pointing out so called "bugs" in photoshop with color and shit
>guy spends 5min in paint pointing out how autistic and wrong the guy is
>autistic fag then projects and calls the guy calling him out as autistic instead of trying to refute his points

Holy shit anti gen-oners are stupid.
>>
>>28698548
I get the feeling that one of them was just making something for a graphic design class
>>
>>28698548
>>guy spends 5min in paint pointing out how autistic and wrong the guy is
Except almost none of his criticisms are valid.
>>
>>28698384
You're right but it was going to be 250 but the dex wasn't in order yet.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.