[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Official Art for All 8 Main Regions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 12

File: All Regions.jpg (4MB, 2769x3411px) Image search: [Google]
All Regions.jpg
4MB, 2769x3411px
Decided to put together the official art for the most updated versions of each region together, for discussion purposes.

Observations while doing this:
>Kanto is clearly smaller than Johto
I honestly dont see how anyone can see otherwise.
>the scales are all widely different, and way off in every case anyways
It seems hard to tell region sizes outside the extremes like Kanto/Sevii.
>Kalos' map art is a fucking embarrassment
Adding to that, since the map art is so disconnected and the in-game overworld is so disconnected, it's hard to imagine how Kalos really looks as one large region.
>there is absolutely no HQ Sevii Islands Map art
I know it's a tiny post-game region but it deserves better.
>the big chunk of mountainous Johto area
Everywhere between Ecruteak and Route 29 is mountainous in-game but it would have been nice to see that taken further. Maybe some locations between Mt Silver and Route 45.
>Alola doesnt look super big
ALola doesnt look big. But I dont think a region needs to be big to be good. Johto is one of my favourites and it's not big at all.
>>
>>28692262
The maps are not in scale with each other you retard so you can't say a region is bigger than another.
>>
>>28692293
>>the scales are all widely different, and way off in every case anyways
>It seems hard to tell region sizes outside the extremes like Kanto/Sevii.

Did you read the post broseph
>>
>>28692262
>Kanto

>Johto

>Hoenn

>Sinnoh

>Unova

>Kalos

>Alola

Sinnoh must be updated
>>
>>28692325
Tldr
>>
>>28692262
Serveii island and kanto probably conenct to the other side of Kanto.
>>
>>28692262
I never realized. How S.S.Anne can go to open sea if it's closed by Bicycle road? It may be a bridge in this artwork, but I don't remember it being a fully artificial bride in the games.
>>
>>28692405
Sevii Islands isnt Kanto though.

>>28692362
I mean, it's still better than a few of the places that have later dates on them
>>
>>28692425
it's supposed to be a bridge

in the anime it's a drawbridge
>>
File: 1460714368810.gif (598KB, 346x552px) Image search: [Google]
1460714368810.gif
598KB, 346x552px
>>28692425
There's probably an opening under the bridge to allow for boats and shit.
>>
>>28692442
Japan, islands, Hawaii. It all comes together in sun and moon.

Samson Oak, transfer gen one pokemon to to gen 7.

20 years. Alolan forms. The starters mom has a Kanto meowth.
>>
File: Kanto_Route_17_HGSS.png (225KB, 512x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Kanto_Route_17_HGSS.png
225KB, 512x2048px
>>28692425
Please ignore any depiction of Kanto that isnt HGSS when talking about the overworld
>>
>>28692442
Japan, island in the ocean, haiiwai.

It all come together. Starters mom has a kanto Meowth.

Gen 1 connects to gen 7. 20 years of Pokemon. Samson oak and Alolan forms.
>>
>>28692498
Sorry, I forgot that. There's some time since I played HGSS and the last time I went there was in FRLG.
>>
>>28692568
I have no idea why they seemed unable to make bridges in that game. Nugget Bridge was over land too. For some damn reason.
>>
>>28692362
I'm pretty sure that was for Platinum, not Diamond and Pearl.
>>
>>28692483
>>28692530
???
>>
>>28692262
That Hoenn, Unova and Kalos map look bad. Not nearly as good as the Sinnoh, Kanto and Johto ones.
>>
>>28693437
I agree, though Unova better than the other two
>>
>>28692325
Then what was the fucking point of saying Kanto was smaller
>>
>>28693510
You realise Kanto and Johto are on the same scale right? It's literally the same drawing.
>>
>>28692262
That's not the most updated map for Unova.
>>
>>28693437
I really like the artstyle of the Hoenn map, but Kalos is awful.
>>
>>28693571
None of the Unova maps seem to have Humilau City. Or at lest, none of the big ones
>>
>>28693701
That's still the BW map and not the B2W2 one.
>>
>>28693799
Look at it again.
>>
>>28692262
>I honestly dont see how anyone can see otherwise.
I wouldn't use the art to correctly scale the regions. Johto is by far the smallest region to date and they seem to have elongated some of the routes in that johto map.
>>
>>28693955
> they seem to have elongated some of the routes in that johto map.
Which ones?

I mean, even on that map, a big chunk of the Kanto map is Johto mountains I couldnt take out without excluding Route 26 and 28.

I just dont see how Johto can be smaller than a place with less towns and fewer areas outside Routes.
>>
>>28694190
>Which ones?
The central ones around Ilex and Goldenrod as well as the route to the Ice Path and the route south of Blackthorn.

>I just dont see how Johto can be smaller than a place with less towns and fewer areas outside Routes
Actually they have the same amount of towns unless you count the Safari Zone and BF a town.
Also Johto has 20 routes while Kanto has 28.
>>
Unova's map makes it look really small.
>>
>>28694532
Doesnt everyone count them as towns? They are settlements with Pokemon Centres and you can fly to them.

One of the Kanto Routes dont exist anymore, leaving them with 27. And a lot of the routes are really short, like Unova.

Plus the maps for Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh and Hoenn follow the in-game map so I really doubt they're longer. Route 46 is pretty long dude, it pretty much spans the length of the region.
>>
>>28694572
Unova has a lot of places but the Routes arent very long. A lot of the region is a long bridge over open ocean.
>>
>>28692262
just realised that sinnoh's map's sea is literally my mom's fibre filter from photoshop
>>
>>28694661
>Doesnt everyone count them as towns?
No, they aren't even referred to as towns in the games. The BF also doesn't have a Pokemon center in Gen 4.

>One of the Kanto Routes dont exist anymore
True but you do remember that the routes east of New Bark are Kanto right?
In any case it's still a fair bit more than Johto.

>Plus the maps for Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh and Hoenn follow the in-game map so I really doubt they're longer.
Take a look for yourself, the routes I listed certainly aren't as long as they've been depicted in that map.
>>
File: Route 45.jpg (475KB, 701x1345px) Image search: [Google]
Route 45.jpg
475KB, 701x1345px
>>28694860
Frontier Access and Safari Zone Gate are as much towns as say, the Fight Area and Resort Area. Not every location needs "Town" at the end.

I agree 7 more routes is a bit, even if a number of them are short. But they're still short. Not that they all are
>>
>>28692262
I looked it up but couldn't find any official sizes by sq. miles or some other measurement. Would be nice to know how they stack up relative to each other and how long a real life trip through each one might take.
>>
>>28695276
I don't think they'd want to give out those, they like leaving the regions as ambiguous as possible
>>
>>28692262
Rank the maps from best to worst in terms of art quality

For me it's

2 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 7 > 3 > 6
>>
Man, I fucking loved Unova.
>>
>>28695456
Sinnoh (love the darker colour scheme)>Johto>Kanto (johto has much better ocean colors)>Alola>Unova>Sevii (would be higher if the quality was better)>Hoenn>Kalos
>>
>>28695456
5 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 7 > 3 > 6

I love Unova's art style that looks inbetween Sinnoh and Kalos's style. Still a bit darker but very lush with the surrounding forests. The older art style still holds a rustic charm to it and Sinnoh seems a bit more defined than Kanto and Johto, but they're all pretty good. I prefer Alola over Hoenn despite the teal/aqua waters giving it a unique feeling. Hoenn just seems a bit more spastic in everything going on where Alola has a bit more congruency that's easier to look at. Finally there's Kalos. The one thing that stands out is the poor desert region. Compare it to Unova's map and difference is night and day, to the point where Kalos's desert could be mistaken for a field of wheat. Even the snow creeping down the right sides seems carelessly thrown in with little sensible geographic transition, compared to Sinnoh which goes from a large mountain into the northernmost part of the region.
>>
>>28695822
I agree that Unova is a nice mid point. Its not 1:1 with the games but everything still fits together in a way that makes you understand what you are looking at. You can see each town in the games clearly. Just not the Routes.

And yeah, the teal of Hoenn should have worked in its favour like Johto, but for some reason it feels off in a way. Too square. Come to think of it, Kanto feels a bit too square too and could have ended up below Unova
>>
File: Disneyland_1987_Map.jpg (162KB, 730x750px) Image search: [Google]
Disneyland_1987_Map.jpg
162KB, 730x750px
The Kalos map looks like a Disneyland map
>>
>>28696250
No, it doesnt

That Disneyland map looks like one cohesive area
>>
>>28692262
>ALola doesnt look big. But I dont think a region needs to be big to be good. Johto is one of my favourites and it's not big at all.

The fact that they're removing the grid and making exploring more organic completely invalidates the size and scope of the previous regions. That a massive change that needed to happen a long time ago.
>>
>>28696485
I mean, I'm not saying I mind it being smaller. The free movement does look appealing. Though that doesn't mean I'm going to assume it will be my favorite by default.
>>
>>28696569

I agree with you. However on a personal level I will go out and say that I am greatly enjoying the environments so far and I am guaranteed to find this one my favorite.

Now if they'd go all the way and add jumping and platform elements to the game we'll have some real fucking stellar games on our hands.
>>
>>28696604
I agree. And I do understand that. This is a new realm for the games that is very exciting.

I do think I'm going to love Alola too, but that's more based in general things like me liking the locations so far, rather than anything to do with how we traverse.

I mean it may certainly help, but both Gen 6 regions being fully 3D and off the grid didnt make me like them more than the ones in 4 and 5 (which still have 3D over world's anyways
>>
>>28696764
*overworlds anyways)
>>
>>28695822
The best thing to look at to see how bad Kalos is are the mountains.
>>
>>28693510
Jesus christ
>>
>>28692262
The one problem I have with Johto's map is that My Silver doesn't quite match up with the rest of the Johto Mountain Range.
>>
>>28695456
OBJECTIVELY
Sinnoh > HGSS Kanto and Johto > RS/E* Hoenn > FRLG Kanto > BW/B2W2** Unova > GSC Kanto and Johto > ORAS Hoenn > Kalos > BY Kanto > RG Kanto

*pretty much the same, just with different colours and the Battle Frontier
**pretty much the same, it just got updated
>>
>>28698093
Yeah, the Johto and Kanto maps from Gen 1 and 2 aren't great

FRLG Kanto and Gen 3 Hoenn are great though. Too bad even the biggest Gen 3 Hoenn maps aren't very big
>>
File: Frontier_Access_HGSS.png (53KB, 424x394px) Image search: [Google]
Frontier_Access_HGSS.png
53KB, 424x394px
>>28694860
The Frontier isnt the settlement

>>28694848
Yeah but it's the best sea
>>
bump

>>28698093
You forgot Alola
>>
>>28699430
True.
FRLG Kanto > Alola > BW/B2W2** Unova
>>
>>28692262
Damn there is so much dead space in that new Hoenn map
>>
>>28698420
>>28692262
Man, getting the Frontier means Johto now has a random fucking Jungle out of nowhere right next to Olivine City/Moo Moo Farm.

This is Unova Desert tier.
>>
File: RG_Kanto.png (2MB, 936x719px) Image search: [Google]
RG_Kanto.png
2MB, 936x719px
>>28699622
>>
>>28701090
But the Gen 1 maps didnt match up close to the region shape
>>
>>28696250
Well I mean, it's literally a theme park of biomes.
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-22+at+12.24.12).jpg (150KB, 584x445px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-22+at+12.24.12).jpg
150KB, 584x445px
>>28692262
>Kanto is clearly smaller than Johto
Your Johto map added parts of Kanto to it.
Everything east of New Bark Town is basically Kanto at that point.
>>
>>28701090
i haven't seen this map in many many years
>>
>>28693799
Are you retarded? This is bw2 map
>>
>>28704395
Actually its the BW map with the new areas superimposed over it, which is why the northeast is incomplete. We never got the full B2W2 map without the ice, and I reason its because they had made it with many more changes that never showed up in game and never bothered to change it.

As for region size and scale, after gen 4 its a bit muddled, but not that bad. Kanto and Johto combined are relatively a bit bigger then Sinnoh and Hoenn, which should be the same size. So basically, Kanto and Johto are more or less 25% smaller then those two regions. Unova and Kalos meanwhile should be around that size, as the lower route count is due to them having 1 route which would be two or three Classical Routes combined. Alola is on a whole different level though, I would assume its the biggest region yet, despite the looks of the islands.
>>
>>28704601
>having 1 route which would be two or three Classical Routes combined
which ones are you talking about?
>>
>>28704884
The length of something like Route 24 ibefore the league in B2W2, or the route after Laverre leading into Dendimille could easily be the stretch between Lavender and Fuschia, or Pewter to Celadon. While the short routes still exist, the longer ones are easily the same length as some of the weirder route counts early on. This is also a thing with Hoenn and Sinnoh, their long routes are around that length.
>>
>>28703334
Mr Silver is Johto. The only parts east of New Bark that's Kanto are the Routes and some of the land

>>28704601
Nah, Sinnoh has around 17 locations and Hoenn has 15, and a big chunk of it is water. I'd say Sinnoh is the biggest. And Alola only seems to have 12 towns, which is as much as Johto.
>>
>>28703334
Even if we ignore the Mt Silver area and inaccessible mountains that surround it, that still looks bigger desu

>>28704601
I know it's hard to judge Alola but one thing I look at is that mountain near the bottom. Assuming Mt Silver and Coronet are still the tallest mountains we've had so far, Alola isnt looking very big right now
>>
>>28706783
Sinnoh edges it out in terms of PoIs, but when it comes to overall surface its still an even size. It only edges out Hoenn with the Battle Island. As for town count, Alola might have the least amount of setttlements, but the land in between em is pretty vast compated to previous regions, and a lot of it is either connected by routes or a vast network of caves.
>>
>>28708139
Honestly, the land connecting the towns doesnt seem much larger than usual honestly. And other regions also have plenty of "bigger on the inside" dungeons as well. I'm really not seeing Alola as big by any means, much less the biggest.

It's hard for me to judge Hoenn, but I do know that they are at least the two to take the top 2 spot..
>>
>>28708128
I don't remember which trailer its in, but the shot we had of the observatory peak shows it to be absolutely massive. And it was only in the background, seen from a camera shot from one of the routes surrounding it, which in art are only at spitting distance. Its no Mt Silver or Coronet, but its definitely a higher peak then Mt Pyre or the location of Lentimas.
>>
>>28708227
Sure, I am not contesting that Alola is anywhere near that size. Just that Alola is much bigger then people think it is, and at the very least should be up there. ORAS doesn't help because some design decisions make it seem smaller then Kalos, when Kalos in all reality should be around Sinnoh's size, at least when it comes to considering the landmass.
>>
>>28708272
Oh certainly. I mean the mere fact that it has snow just from it's height means it's taller than most of the others we've seen so far.
>>
>>28692775
tileset limitations meant everything had to be as reusable as possible. And it is just hard to depict bridges on that scale with the GB limitations.
>>
File: Johto with locations connected.png (3MB, 2889x1518px) Image search: [Google]
Johto with locations connected.png
3MB, 2889x1518px
>>28708313
Yeah. I dont think it's like, super tiny or anything, but I just think its a bit of a silly exaggeration when people go "oooooh, this is the biggest one yet"

I think its less big, but due to packing it's locations closer together than spreading them out, like Johto and to a lesser extent, Unova. Where we're left having explored 90% of the place and having a good idea of what the entire region is

I dunno about Kalos being Sinnoh's size, I think the terrible map is just messing people up. All the locations feel real close as pretty much none of the routes are long. I didnt find Kalos big.
>>
>>28701033
>Jungle
Anon, those are palm trees, which do grow on Japanese beaches. It isn't too far-fetched for the battle frontier to have planted those for a resort feeling.
>>
>>28708952
Yeah, but the Battle Zone in Sinnoh is definitely supposed to invoke a "jungle" feel, is it not? Including the Fight Area and Frontier.

I'm honestly not sure, but I always assumed it to be the case.
>>
File: 1474545809239.jpg (109KB, 748x983px) Image search: [Google]
1474545809239.jpg
109KB, 748x983px
>>28692262
>Sakhalin and kunashir in sinnoh.
I season my meals with your sorrow, Japan. Delicious.
>>
>>28708538
That makes sense I guess.

But what would be the reason for say, a uniquely drawn Nugget Bridge still being shown as over land?

Maybe they only had a tile for land and ocean crossing paths and didn't want to make a new set for where the bridge and water would meet
>>
File: Kanto_Route_27_HGSS.png (363KB, 3152x480px) Image search: [Google]
Kanto_Route_27_HGSS.png
363KB, 3152x480px
>>28706783
>>28708128
I find it really strange that Mt. Silver is in Johto, but Route 27 is considered to be Kanto.

The route is quite literally south of Mt. Silver.
>>
>>28711073
I think that was stupid on GF's part.

What I completely ignore is how in HGSS, Mt Silver is Johto but if you over the curso over everywhere around it, its Kanto. That is bullshit and I'm going with Crystal that still puts the areas as Johto.

I just go with everything below Mt Silver is Kanto and everything above it is Johto
>>
>>28711364
Or rather, everywhere below the Magnet Train, looking on the map.
>>
>>28692362
The Unova is from B2W2 so it's 2012
>>
>>28711619
see >>28704601
>>
>>28712520
Yeah, but it's meant to be a BW2 map either way. It has every location except Humilau
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.