[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Generation 4

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8

File: DP610.jpg (82KB, 610x343px)
DP610.jpg
82KB, 610x343px
Over the past months there have been a couple of threads of people posting how much they liked Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.
The replies were anything from total agreement to absolute disagreement.
As I personally really like D/P/Pt I wanted to give an actual conclusive thread a chance, collecting as many arguments as possible.
Pretty much discussing whether the games are good or shit, whether sinnoh is good or shit, whether the dex is good or shit etc. Please keep hg/ss out of this though
>>
here's smething i think we can all agree with:
d/p is boring
platinum is great

my argument stems from the things that changed in platinum: the dex (resolved most issues), inclusion of cool gimmicks like move tutors and rotom, improved gym puzzles, improved battles, pretty much fixed whatever "lagging" people complain about.

on an unrelated note people who complain about surfing in sinnoh are fucking retarded. you only have to swim like 3 times in the whole game, and only one of those is actually mandatory for the story
>>
No idea it was so disliked.

why don't people like gen 4 more than gen 3? I do.
>>
>>28607776
I disagree. I found Platinum to be just as mind-numbingly slow as the other two and the inherent issues in the region (that godawful trek to Snowpoint, Pokemon distribution, learnsets) to remain unfixed.

However, I will say that Platinum did the Distortion World thing really well, and I liked fighting Cyrus early. Plus, it felt like the game was more difficult than Diamond/Pearl, which is nice. I can't say I found it great though.
>>
>>28607798
Gen 3 isn't slow. Plus, regardless of the "too much water and trumpets" meme, RSE have a really strong amount of Pokemon and a lot of trainers to help you create a full team of working Pokemon.

The amount of HMs needed was a bit excessive though
>>
>>28607813
>(that godawful trek to Snowpoint, Pokemon distribution, learnsets)
please explain this further
learnsets were improved. bugs got bug bite and scizor got bullet punch iirc
distribution was also improved, you could catch the new mons added to the dex
>>
>>28607864
so does sinnoh, what are you implying here
>>
>>28607813
>that godawful trek to Snowpoint
EXPLORATION IS BAD!
>>
>>28607893
pls don't be rude, let's keep it civil
>>
>>28607903
It's a perfectly legitimate statement.
>>
>>28607813
Those ways of exploration is what made sinnoh this comfy though. The snow, the mountains, the cold cities, good I live sinnoh so much
>>
>>28607743
>"HMs: The Region"

aside from that, I find the game very appealing. The dex is perfect.
>>
>>28607928
i really like the exploration too. the caves really made it for me. i like how most routes for exploration are on land instead of water like in hoenn
>>
>>28607866
Eevee evolutions had terrible learnsets (by learnsets I mean through level-up), Shellos, Buizel, Drifloon, come to mind, but there are some with better learnsets I'll admit. It just wasn't as good as I hoped it'd be.

Distribution was improved but it's still poor. A lot of the mons you can catch aren't that great and the really good ones like Electivire and Magmortar, as well as the Porygon family need trade evolutions which kinda limits you at times especially with Wifi being dead. Lucario is excellent as always but you get him very late.

This is probably more nitpicking than anything else but it's just how I feel. The Double Team spam by some trainers (and Candice) was tedious as well.
>>
I'll never understand why people think the distortion world was nice. Felt like a huge waste of time, why would you make a dungeon with nothing inside?
>>
>>28607893
It's not exploration though, it's a straight shot full of screen-blocking snow, slow movements, and hail annoying you the entire time.

Are you seriously defending that shit area? It's easily one of the lower parts of the franchise.
>>
>>28607928
>>28607946
I'm not saying that Mt Coronet is bad, I'm saying that the trek from Mt Coronet to Snowpoint is tedious garbage that really should've been streamlined. It exacerbates Gen 4's slowness.
>>
>>28607968
eevee evolution didn't get improved until bw2, unfortunately. they were still playable, just a bit harder, especially for leafeon.
i used to trade all the time back then so i guess i didn't feel that as much. i played platinum so many times i think i must've used the entire dex.
>>
>>28607993
Yeah, I wanted to use Leafeon but its learnset was so bad. I was really disappointed.

Maybe I just need to use different mons, I finished it for the first time last week and I'm just saying what my thoughts are after completing it.
>>
>>28607991
most of that trek is fine. you're specifically talking about the part in route 217. i think every game has something like that.
>>
the soundtrack is perfect
>>
>>28607978
t. Guide User
>>
>>28608038
nah
>>
>>28608046
Nice argument
>>
>>28607978
>going through a shit ton of snow should be easy
getaloadofthisguycam.jpg
>>
Would be a candidate for best game if not for its shit engine (Gen IV engine is absolute trash).

Which puts it as a middle-of-the-pack/decent game.
>>
>>28607743
I enjoyed the games when I played them, personally.

But, I find it to be one of the weakest generations for me. I thought the 2d and 3d mix was really strange (I really like gen 3's graphics, the colours and stuff were all really nice, and D/P/Pt seemed washed in comparison). The pokemon were pretty interesting, but nothing from there is really that memorable. The 9000x legendaries was kind of over the top, too, and the music was also not that good.

That said, though, I didn't dislike the generation, and a lot of the stuff done in gen IV has been ridiculously pivotal in making the games good, like the physical/special split, the greater care given to the mechanics, etc. HG and SS were also really, really good, and by far the best games to come out of the generation, in my opinion.
>>
>>28607978
>complaining about hail
Fuck off, rain is fucking everywhere in game, hail and sun deserve some love.
>>
>>28608088
what's wrong with the engine? people keep complaining it's slow but it's still enjoyable
>>
>>28608059
>It's not exploration though
It objectively is. It has sidepaths and items to collect.

>It's a straight shot
You can only know this if you're looking at a guide.

>Screen-Blocking Snow.
Almost like a... blizzard?

>Slow movements.
Yes, that's how enviorment works.

>Hail annoying you the entire time.
Sorry that weather exists and you can't just run back to the PokeCenter after every battle.
>>
>>28608102
People generally don't like it when games are slow as molasses and every movement feels like you're wading through water
>>
File: Sleeping_.png (24KB, 480x390px)
Sleeping_.png
24KB, 480x390px
>>28607743

I thought It was oh ok
>>
>>28608188
why do people exaggerate this so much? slow as molasses? give me a break. the game is fine. it's two seconds more than other games, on average. it's not that big of a difference.
>>
>>28608047
Why naht
>>
>>28608190
Pic related is one of my absolute favs about 4th gen. All the mysteries/secrets: the lore behind sinnoh. Going to an old ladys house to learn about how time and space are controlled, absolutely amazing
>>
DP were alright, having played RE and FR it didn't really bother me, Platinum will always have a place in my heart next to SS
>>
>All music isn't dominated by trumpets
>Half the game isn't made of water routes
>Villain is some idiot who wants to destroy the universe and recreate it in his own image instead of the compelling geniuses that think that no land/no water will make everything better
>Too much post-game
>Characters haven't had their races changed after already being established
>Still bothers having a Battle Frontier nobody wants one (t. Masuda)
>Frame rate is 30 fps, which makes surfing 16 water routes that much slower
OH WAIT, SINNOH DOESN'T HAVE 16 WATER ROUTES
CHECKMATE SINNOHFETUSES
>>
>28608407
are you pretending to be retarded or did you seriously think someone would fall for such shitty bait?
if you want to falseflag Hoennfags at least don't be a fucking autist
>>
>>28608407
>>28608407
>>All music isn't dominated by trumpets
It's dominated by guitar and piano,makes no difference in gameplay
>>Half the game isn't made of water routes
Super comfy snow and mountain routes ftw
>>Villain is some idiot who wants to destroy
the universe and recreate it in his own image instead of the compelling geniuses that think that no land/no water will make everything better
He had far more resolve than magma and aqua
>we're going to raise land and sea to conquer hurr
vs
>humans fuck everything up time to start over

>>Too much post-game
idiots like you make pokemon games bad
>>Characters haven't had their races changed after already being established
Why should they
>>Still bothers having a Battle Frontier nobody wants one (t. Masuda)
I barely played it but appreciated the designs and Battle Tower and Factory were interesting
>>Frame rate is 30 fps, which makes surfing 16 water routes that much slower
who cares
>>
The general style of gen 4 was extremely enjoyable. Everything seemed so eastern, all the sprites and all the interiors were absolutely amazing
>>
>>28608492
i see someone has trouble with irony
>>
>>28608505
>just a prank bro
>>
File: 1384206759039.png (81KB, 500x427px)
1384206759039.png
81KB, 500x427px
I went and replayed Gen IV honestly and, as far as the main game portions go (i.e. not post-game), Plat beats the hell out of HGSS for me.
HGSS's fucked leveling and decision to hide evolution materials behind the E4 was pretty godawful. Meanwhile for Plat, there's nothing I really had to complain about other than that Defog is a dumb HM.

And damn, I forgot how catchy all the route music is.
>>
>>28608553
>HGSS's fucked leveling
why do people still complain about this? it's on purpose so you can go multiple ways after you beat ecruteak gym. not every game has to be super bland straight forward shit like gen 5.
>>
File: Egg__.png (25KB, 480x388px)
Egg__.png
25KB, 480x388px
>>28608349

I see.
>>
>>28608577
>it's on purpose so you can go multiple ways after you beat ecruteak gym
Yeah, except in practice it means 60% of the fucking region has pokemon in the same level range because god forbid you run into slightly tougher pokemon without an HM.
>>
File: 1474033839703.png (112KB, 359x393px)
1474033839703.png
112KB, 359x393px
>>28607743
I prefer diamond/pearl over platnium. It just feels like a shittier version somehow.
>>
File: not a touhou.jpg (158KB, 417x448px)
not a touhou.jpg
158KB, 417x448px
>>28608645
Well, you'd better do some explaining before I just write you off as a retard.
>>
>>28607977
agree a bit here
Really hoped for a more diverse/plentiful place for a 'distortion world'
>>
>>28607743
Platinum was great, but a little extra distribution would have been great, especially for cross gen evos. (e.g. Tangela, Yanma, Murkrow, Ralts, Glameow, Rhyhorn, Duskull).

Less trade evolutions to allow better access to pokemon final evos.
>>
>>28608605
>implying that's a bad thing
gives you more opportunities to train newly catched mons and therefore see if they're good or not
means you can go wherever you want to because everything is absolutely free of trouble
can always go back and train another mon if you're disliking your current course
more chance to make mistakes and explore
>>
>>28608701
(whoops, get out of there Glameow!)
>>
>>28608712
murkrow too
>>
>>28608707
Oh whoops the gym leader is 15 levels higher than everything else.
Too bad switching pokemon has utterly fucked you over in experience, because you sure aren't going to make it up on the scraps in the wild.
>>
>>28608741
by then you have the possibility to have already battled the fighting gym, red gyarados and team rocket in mahogany
not my fault you don't explore and just battle shitmons in the wild like an idiot
>>
File: 1463195115166.gif (2MB, 500x500px)
1463195115166.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>28607940
So, which of the three available Fire types did you like best?
>>
>>28608721
Murkrow is a cross gen evo! Surprisingly absent from Platinum too.
>>
>>28608834
***Murkrow HAS a cross gen evo
>>
>>28608834
oh i thought you had removed glameow cause it isn't available in platinum
i added murkrow cause murkrow can't be caught too
only major flaw in platinum imo
>>
>>28608795
You mean the part of the game where you can go right to the next gym with 0 intermediary battles and the trainers are still in the low 20s?

A gym with no trainer battles. Who thought that was a good idea?
>>
>>28608645
I think I prefered Platinum to Diamond/Pearl. However, by that point I'd already played DP so it just didn't have as much of a wow factor. I just remember the latter half of Platinum leaving me feeling rather ambivalent.

Honestly I'd like to give it a replay sometime to see if I feel differently now that it's been a while since I last played it. My opinion of Sinnoh is still a largely positive one outside of things like gamespeed.
>>
>>28608893
>everything must be handed to you
>you can't lose ever
sounds like a pretty boring game imo
i like that for once you're exposed to really strong trainers all of a sudden which forces you to explore more and fight more people
>>
>>28608909
>explore more and fight more people
Except I already did that, but I made the mistake of "exploring my options" and switching pokemon.
So it just turned into "grind shitmons until you don't get one-shot"
>>
>>28608942
And on the other hand, DPPt had the foresight (read: didn't fuck up) by always having stuff between each gym, and always ensuring the local wild pokemon were of a reasonable level.
>>
>>28608942
how exactly did that happen? pls explain. because you can just go and defeat team rocket if you want to
>>
>>28608966
You can't take on team rocket until after you beat Jasmine, no?
>>
>>28607743
D/P was awful, the worst main line games for me. Pt fixes lots of problems and adds a decent amount of content to it, still quite slow and has a few problems, but overall is one of the better pokemon games. HG/SS are the best remakes and one of the three best games of the franchise (Along with BW2 and Emerald)

Overall is good gen, it had a rough and quite shitty start but it got better with every new release.
>>
>>28608975
iirc you can chose to defeat mahogany gym if you prefer. which is easier, ice has tons of weaknesses and it's an easier gym with tons of trainers, instead of steel which resists almost everything
>>
>>28609033
I don't think you can challenge Mahogany until you solve the Rocket shit, and you can't solve the Rocket shit until after Jasmine because whatsisface won't be at Lake Rage until then.
And if you can beat Jasmine you're pretty much out of the shitty-level-hump.
>>
>>28609062
nah lance appears as soon as you defeat gyarados, and you can do that as long as you have surf, for sure. you can defeat rocket warehouse in mahogany like right as soon as you get surf, basically. which then unlocks the mahogany gym. and after that gym you can either go to rocket in goldenrod or go to steel girl iirc
>>
>>28609062
>>28609096
at least this is how this is in gsc, the last games i played
>>
>>28608492

>

wow you must be autistic. Having trouble grasping irony?
>>
I dont understand why people think that these games are as slow. It felt like just the right pace to me
>>
>>28609791
The battle system was slow but aside from that it was all good.
>>
>>28607743
If HMs were used for exploration rather than paths than I would love it more. Hell, I had no idea about turnback cave on my first playthrough of diamond and Id love more of these areas. Only part I really disliked was trek to snowpoint, even though it had comfy music. At least give us skis or something since it was still a pretty big area.
>>
>>28607743
I had like 1000 between all 3 games (mostly diamond with 700 hours) and after trying to play it again the most annoying thing is how slow the battles are. But playing Pokémo games on mobile with x4 speed is probably the reason I can't stand it.
>>
>>28608038
Second this, forest theme, team galactic base, jubilife theme, all based as fuck. Also poketch was sick
>>
>>28610014
Also fuck my childhood friend who bought the other version and didn't name his rival after me, fucking bitch.
>>
File: c58.jpg (24KB, 500x500px)
c58.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
>>28608190
GET OUTTA HERE RICHARD
NOBODY LIKES YOU
>>
My only complaint is the number of HMs. Way too many.
>>
I just realized how fun Sinnoh is to traverse. It's so craggy and messy. The routes, I mean. Everything doesn't feel... laid out for you, I guess?
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.