[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

'Member when Pokemon games didn't constantly hold your hand?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

File: WKPAorn.jpg (36KB, 570x329px) Image search: [Google]
WKPAorn.jpg
36KB, 570x329px
'Member when Pokemon games didn't constantly hold your hand?
>>
>>28606346
That was never a thing.

Pokemon has always been Baby's First RPG since day one.
>>
>>28606346
'Member when we used to play pokemon games without already knowing the full dex beforehand?
>>
>>28606359
Well at least it didn't feel artificial like it does in X/Y
>>
crossboarding is against the rules
>>
>>28606346
Pokemon was never intended to push the single player experience for anything more than world building. They wanted you to battle other players and socialize through the game.
>>
>>28606359
>That was never a thing.

haha fuck off. Of course it was. Literally all you're taught in gen 1 is how to catch a Pokemon. That's it. Everything else you have to figure out yourself. And you're not given free legendaries, free mega stones, or broken exp shares.

Meanwhile you play something like BW2 and you get NPCs shoved down your throat telling you stuff until the 3rd gym.
>>
>>28606385
Because you grew up, anon. Revisit RBY or FR/LG and it feels about the same.

The only difference is the rival was legitimately good is all. XY Job Squad was an awkward failed experiment.
>>
>>28606458
>Blue
>good
He's kinda shit in RBY and not much better in Frlg.
>>
>>28606455

the G1 EXP share was pretty broken, anon.
>>
>>28606458
Actually the funny thing is I didn't realize how hard my hand was being held until I played the digital release back in February.
>>
>>28606455
>haha fuck off. Of course it was. Literally all you're taught in gen 1 is how to catch a Pokemon

And PokeCenters, and items, and the general shit you need to basically play the single player.

Also keep in mind there wasn't that many mechanics to justify so many NPCs in the latter games so perhaps that's also a factor to it. But battling also became pure DPS races with your friends at that point so you win some you lose some.

Baby's First RPG.
>>
>>28606458
>Revisit RBY or FR/LG and it feels about the same

Yeah, me getting older magically added the gen 6 exp share and megas into the game. It also magically made every gym leader use 3 pokemon or less and made the E4 use only 4 pokemon instead of 5.

This shitty meme needs to end.
>>
>>28606478
Eeeeh. The twist at the end was always neat.

But this is probably my own nostalgia getting the best of me there.
>>
>>28606455
>Of course it was. Literally all you're taught in gen 1 is how to catch a Pokemon. That's it.

"Have you already been in a gym? Here i take you there"
"Here have a voucher for this super expensive bike"
Also Blue constatntly says where you should go next

fuck yourself
>>
File: Game_Boy_Game_Link_cable.png (116KB, 474x240px) Image search: [Google]
Game_Boy_Game_Link_cable.png
116KB, 474x240px
'Member when you had a Haunter, because no one had a game link cable?
>>
>>28606498
>he unironically finds RBY difficult because there's no megas

Try playing it when you're older than 12 anon.
>>
>>28606495
>And PokeCenters, and items, and the general shit you need to basically play the single player.

That's a part of how the gameplay is designed. It's not handholding you retard.

>>28606483
What? No it's not. Did you actually play Gen 1? It only gives half to the battler and the other half is literally split six ways. It's shit and barely any better than not using it.
>>
>>28606498
Play it again.

No, really, play it again, it's not that hard, and back in the day (or now) if you manage to get some of the trade evos like Alakazam or Gengar its a fucking cakewalk.

>gen 6 exp share and megas

Wew.
>>
>>28606455
>muh genwun is hard
yes it was
when you were fucking 8 and had never played a pokémon game
R/B/Y is no harder than any other pokémon game, it's just a broken mess that's aged like milk
I would play G/S/C over R/B/Y ANY day of the week
>>
>>28606521
>Implying I didn't have a link cable
>Implying just about everyone that I knew didn't own one
>Implying they didn't get threatened to be confiscated because people would be connecting them across seats on the schoolbus and blocking the aisle
>>
>>28606517
>"Here have a voucher for this super expensive bike"

You're desperate for points, aren't you?

That's NOT HANDHOLDING, that's how you get a fucking bike because they purposely made the amount of cash needed unobtainable. Holy shit.

It's like saying being able to buy Pokeballs is handholding.
>>
>>28606522
>>28606542
>>28606553
Learn to read. I didn't say it was difficult. But saying it's as easy as current games is flat out wrong.

>if you manage to get some of the trade evos like Alakazam or Gengar its a fucking cakewalk.
If you manage to get ANYTHING in gen 6 it's a fucking cakewalk.
>>
>>28606579
>It's not difficult it's just not easy

Check your fucking life m8
>>
>>28606592
All Pokemon games are easy. But modern Pokemon games are EASIER and they also hold your hand far more.
>>
>>28606579
>If you manage to get ANYTHING in gen 6 it's a fucking cakewalk.

Yeah I'm not denying that, but you're the one getting offended at the notion of suggestion that Pokemon is Baby's First RPG which it is.

The fact that you yourself aren't saying it isn't difficult proves it. It doesn't matter how much handholding you get, the difficulty in Pokemon has NEVER been in the single player story and acting like suddenly that's going to change is dumb.

Certainly they can try and not make EVERY battle in the next gens as piss easy as Team Flare was but like, you're kidding yourself if you think you lost anything other than the innocence of childhood wonder of experiencing something for the first time.

TL;DR: Of course it is, you grew up and are still playing Baby's First RPG. Which is fine but don't expect it to be anything else.
>>
>>28606579
I recently played through FireRed and it was piss easy. I wasnt even using anything overpowered it was just that easy.

Fucking team Rocket uses rattatas and zubats even in the post game. Giovanni was a joke 5 surfs and done. Blue is also piss easy

The only issues i had where when the opponent managed to land a critical hit or when i was switch training weaker team members. Thats all
>>
>>28606455
>Literally all you're taught in Gen I is how to catch pokemon.
Hahaha no, you're taught about all the basics of the game, plus Blue or other NPCs often tell you where to go.

>>28606534
>That's a part of how the gameplay is designed.
So are all the new additions the newer gens have had. Every game needs to explain all the new and old concepts because chances are it's going to be someone's first Pokemon game.

So the battle screen in Gen VII has hints about what hits hard and what doesn't, and? You still need to fight a pokemon for that feature to be unlocked, and it's not like the game is constantly making text boxes appear indicating which move you should use.
>>
>>28606628
>Yeah I'm not denying that, but you're the one getting offended at the notion of suggestion that Pokemon is Baby's First RPG which it is.

No. I'm getting offended at the notion that gen 1 was handholdy. It was EASY, but not handholdy. And certainly not as handholdy as modern Pokemon games.

>>28606640
>I recently played through FireRed and it was piss easy
But still harder than modern games.

>>28606667
>Every game needs to explain all the new and old concepts

Not every game railroads you and have NPCs tell you where to go constantly.

Not every game gives you a busted EXP share default set to on.

Not every game gives you free legendaries.

>So the battle screen in Gen VII has hints about what hits hard and what doesn't, and?
It's handholding because the player had to figure out and research type resistances for each Pokemon themselves. Fighting a Pokemon doesn't mean you should be given all type knowledge about it. If it required you CATCHING it it would be fair.

It's funny how even the devs admit they're holding the players hand more yet you deluded fanboy anti-genwunners can't.
>>
>>28606782
>Not every game railroads you and have NPCs tell you where to go constantly.

But RBY did that all the time.

>Not every game gives you a busted EXP share default set to on.

>Not every game gives you free legendaries.

Don't use them. It's literally that easy.
>>
>>28606782
>But still harder than modern games.
Considering it was piss easy then no
>>
File: 2013-11-14-09-56-59[1].jpg (90KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2013-11-14-09-56-59[1].jpg
90KB, 640x480px
>>28606667
>plus Blue or other NPCs often tell you where to go

Haha remember when Blue tells you beforehand that he's going to fight you at location X so you can conveniently prepare?

I sure as fuck don't. But it's just because I grew up, am I right? xD
>>
>>28606359
That's the problem, though. It was always so easy that an 8 year old could do it, and they STILL made it even easier.
>>
>>28606847
No but you sure as hell find out beforehand what all the Gym Leaders' specialties are, and that's still just as bad.

Why are you still buying/pirating these games if this is what pisses you off? By Gen 3 most people knew they were going to be nothing more than fun mutliplayer games with a sidestory single player thing?
>>
>>28606819
>But RBY did that all the time.

No it didn't. Pretty much everything post-Vermilion City is up for you to figure out where to go yourself.

>Don't use them. It's literally that easy.
It's still handholding you retard. And the fact that there's an option to use these things is what makes it easier.

>>28606839
No. It's still harder. Do you know what "harder" means, anon? It means that one thing is harder than another thing regardless of how easy those two things are.

A turtle moves faster than a slug. It can be argued that turtles and slugs are both slow. But it doesn't change the fact that the turtle is faster.
>>
>>28606848
Well yeah, now you have all kinds of shit to use so people want to get to that in the multiplayer instead of having to drag the single player shit which is made specifically with kids in mind.

I'll only contest that the biggest issues Gen 6 had was Team Flare and never expanding on the Battle Maison into a full fledged Frontier. But other than that, its the same game we've been playing since day one so...

E H.
>>
>>28606888
>No but you sure as hell find out beforehand what all the Gym Leaders' specialties are

Yeah. If you take time to read signs and talk to NPCs before hand. As opposed to getting a mandatory call from a rival explicitly telling you where and when he'll fight you.
>>
>>28606896
>It's still handholding you retard. And the fact that there's an option to use these things is what makes it easier

>starts up new game
>selects easy mode
>plays it
>"UGH WHAT THE FUCK, WHY IS THIS SHIT SO E A S Y??"

>>>/v/

Go join the rest of your people.
>>
>>28606930
It's literally a button press of a difference. You are making a mountain out of an anthill.
>>
>>28606782
But they have.
Ever since gen3
>>
>>28606918
I might forgive them if they were actually designing new content with multiplayer in mind but that's unbalanced trash too and so is official VGC
>>
>>28606962
So not every game. Gotcha.

>>28606946
One requires extra effort on part of the player to figure things out before hand.

The other is handed to player. Almost as if someone were holding their hand. Huh.
>>
>>28606991
Fair enough. Genies of Healthy Meta have sort of proven the official competitve league is kind of a mess.

At least friend to friend is fun if you know someone into that stuff.
>>
>>28606896
>half the NPCs in Lavendar tower say "BOY I WISH I HAD THE SILPH SCOPE TO SEe tHESE GHOSTS."
>the guards need a drink from CELADON shopping center
>fucking everything in Saffron is blocked
GEE WHERE DO I GO NEXT.
OH HEY I JUST FOUGHT TEAM ROCKET. Sure am glad those NPCs told me to check that poster!
I bet that town full of team rocket is gone now that I beat them. Oh and I can go to Lavendar tower now too!

Hey I have this thing that wakes sleeping things. Better go wake that sleeping thing.
Oh hey I got surf, better go surf to that island on my map.

And I havent gotten that far yet, but Im willing to bet Giovanni mentions Viridian City/Gym when you beat him in Saffron. If not half of team rocket does.
>>
>>28606992
>One requires extra effort on part of the player to figure things out before hand.

It's going up to a sign and reading it.

If you're seriously going to harp on this point, I suggest you stop playing Pokemon and move on to something else. It's not going to be fun for you if you don't.
>>
>>28606455
The funny thing is that both bw and bw2 are more challenging than rbg
>>
>nostalgiafags attempting to argue that rgb didn't hold your hand

You fucking always had someone telling you where to go and what to do. It only seems like things are getting easier because you're not a kid anymore.
>>
'Member when you shit your pants in elementary school.
>>
File: 1473453544292.png (356KB, 658x357px) Image search: [Google]
1473453544292.png
356KB, 658x357px
>>28606346
You member when you got to the third gym in gold or silver and got your shit pushed in cus you didn't train all your Pokemon equally? I member.
>>
>>28607380
>third gym
Whitney is bullshit when you're 8-10 years old.
>>
>>28607380
no, you got your shit pushed in because you did trained them all equally.
>>
>>28607341
I 'member!
>>
>>28606367
No because nips had the game before us and we knew everything about the games half a year before we played it
>>
I recently played through Yellow, Platinum, Black2 and X
From easiest to most difficult:
Y > X > Pt > B2
>>
>>28607771
By "y" i mean yellow of course
>>
>>28606359
>Baby's first RPG
I'm not really sure why people say this. RPGs in general are extremely easy, pokemon is not an outlier. Actually, I'd say Pokemon is a fair bit more difficult than most Final Fantasy games, where you pretty much just mash A most of the time. At least in some Pokemon games you can be caught unprepared and have to think about your moved, even if only a little.
>>
>>28606517
>Also Blue constatntly says where you should go next

No he doesnt. He only tells you to go check out Bill once you're already on the route leading to his house.
>>
>>28607013
>>half the NPCs in Lavendar tower say "BOY I WISH I HAD THE SILPH SCOPE TO SEe tHESE GHOSTS."
Um ok... Which way to go next?

>>the guards need a drink from CELADON shopping center
They dont say that in rby, stop lying
>>
>>28608289
don't bite the b8, m8
>>
Member when all we knew about Sun and Moon were the titles and anything was possible?
>>
>>28606346
The episode was complete shit. Why do people reference it?
>>
>>28606346
That's because they couldnt. It didnt have enough space for tutorials or shortcuts because of all the monsters, moves and whatever leftover data. The only reason you all think these games were hard is because video games have evolved to a point where they can take the time to teach you something or process something faster.
>>
File: He´s Right You Know.jpg (6KB, 208x155px) Image search: [Google]
He´s Right You Know.jpg
6KB, 208x155px
>>28607721
>>
In my opinion, Pokemon games have actually only gotten more difficult (with the exception of gen 6, which was a step back towards gen 1/2 levels of difficulty.)

RBY has maybe one difficult fight in Lance. GSC has Red. Every other fight in those games are more or less extremely easy, due to horrible movesets and teams on most trainers. You've probably seen that Blue's Exeggcutor only has 3 moves even when you fight him as the champion. Not to mention the horrible and easily exploitable balance issues that Gen 1 had.

Compare this to some of the more modern games like Platinum. Sure, the games may be slightly more handholdy in the beginning, but the game still has the toughest Elite 4 in the series, the most balanced and strongest Champion, an actually somewhat tough rival for once, and very challenging battles with the evil team leaders. BW2 features a challenge mode with very buffed teams and trainers and a lack of strong pokemon to catch especially early on. HGSS have mostly the same difficulty as GSC pre E4 (with the exception of a more difficult kimono girls battle), but the Kanto gym leaders are much harder than in GSC with better moves and higher levels, and Red is even more of challenge than before.

And while Gen 6 did lower the difficulty overall, I still they're about equal on difficulty with Gen 1. Sure, the gym leaders may have no more than 3 pokemon, but at least they have proper movesets and AI. You may complain about stuff like the free Lucario or Gen 1 starters, but Yellow gave you all 3 gen 1 starters rather than just 1 (albeit at the cost of having an unevolvable Pikachu permanently in your part). Megas do make the games easier but so do some of Gen 1's easilly exploitable balance issues. Get your hands on something like Alakazam or Zapdos and you easily have something just as strong as a mega for only marginally more effort. The buffed exp share only cuts down on grinding, which only makes the game less tedious, not less difficult.
>>
>>28606521
luckily i knew that kid who had it.
>>
>>28606782
True. But Yellow version gives you all the starters for free
>>
>The first games of it's kind and franchise
>Aimed at literal children
>No one has ever played a game like this before
Yeah, RBG is full of hand holding, since it would be required for such a new and alien concept as Pokemon
>>
File: MegaTen.png (245KB, 256x374px) Image search: [Google]
MegaTen.png
245KB, 256x374px
>>28609892
>No one has ever played a game like this before
Wrong
>>
>>28607013
You're so mad that you were too young to play gen 1 when it first came out lol
>>
File: shit.png (83KB, 675x463px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
83KB, 675x463px
>>28606346
'Member all those gym leaders in Johto who didn't have any gen 2 pokemon?
'Member all those gen 2 pokemon that were only available in Kanto, where by then you already had a full team?
'Member finally going to Kanto and being surrounded by lower-leveled shitmons than in Johto?
>>
>>28610032
'Member when gen 4 forced you to use Rapidass if you didn't pick Chimchar?
>>
>>28609905
and slightly after that but before Pokemon, there was Dragon Quest V.
>>
>>28606346
>Pokémon was always a pathetically easy game
>at this point it's easier than Kirby
>>
>>28606782
Kids must be geniuses if this guy can't turn off an EXP Share.
>>
>>28610135
That was at least fixed in Platinum.

Those gen 2 problems weren't fixed in Crystal, not in the remakes.
>>
>>28606579
Assuming you turn off the Exp share and don't grind like an autist gen 6 is actually way harder than gen 1.
>>
>>28610379
But it's hard if you do a challenge run with pointless rules!
>>
>>28610135
'Member when it was mandatory to use a Fire type on your team?
>>
Member the money is not important.
>>
'Member when there was only 151 Pokémon.
>>
>>28610838
Who is this cutie?
>>
>>28607341
I don't member
>>
>>28611008
assuming by the "artist", it is supposed to be Lugia.
>>
>>28606455
Replay it now anon. You get handheld out the ass. Not to mention the game as a whole is easy as fuck.
>>
>>28611092
I'd say it's more shadow lugia
>>
File: poke150.png (3KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
poke150.png
3KB, 320x288px
Ahh, I love a good Genwar.

Speaking from my own experience of having played every game since Pokemon Yellow at the age of 7, I feel like I can be a bit more objective:

RBY, GSC and RSE/FRLG are definitely harder than the games that followed them. I'm not saying they're easy, but they were at least more challenging than Gen IV onward, regardless of age.

>Discovering type advantage requires trial and error
>Higher quantity of secret areas - Power Plant and Mt. Mortar are not even integral to the plot and I didn't find them (or explore them properly in the case of Mt. Mortar) on my first run-through
>Better plot twists, surprises and level curves
>Exp. Share in RGBY required you to catch 50 Pokemon, and even then you had to find the NPC character who gives it to you yourself
>Latios/Latias are literally handed to you in ORAS
>Catch rate for legendaries as of Gen V is literal handholding - I have memories of many controller throwing moments trying to catch legendaries pre-Gen IV. Can't even remember catching Xerneas in Pokemon X

I could go on. Pokemon has objectively gotten easier over the years, there's no disputing it.
>>
>>28608675
Half because Nostalgia, the other half because /pol/ Redpill.
>>
>>28611152
I caught Xerneas in a Nest Ball on the first turn of the battle. It wasn't even a critical capture.
>>
>implying Gen I is difficult when you can pull this shit
https://youtu.be/r4clB-QUyPI
>>
>>28611152
>I feel like I can be a bit more objective:
If you think that then you can't.

And judging by the rest of your post you aren't.
For one you're told type advantages by an NPC in gen 1.
After Kalos gen 1 and 2 have the lowest amount of secret or optional areas. In order it would be something like
5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6

Early games had next to no plot the only twist being Blue which is odd to say the least because you beat him on several occasions so it's more along the lines of a cop-out.
The exp share in gen 1 was outright broken. Giving you a pittance for exp and leaving you underleveled.
The lati are given to you because of the soaring mechanic and it is by no means compulsory to use.
The catch rate for legends has only changed for plot relevant pokemon like the dragons in BW, Xerneas and Yveltal and Ray however in ORAS Groudon and Kyogre remain at their five. As for the other legends they still have their low capture rate.

Looking at the game objectively I can say that the game hasn't gotten easier exactly but has given you more to use due to game mechanics and plot. However it is never mandatory to use these things.
>>
>>28607013
And none of it is forced. These are all hints from NPCs you the player must interact with.

>>28606455
This. People need to reply RBY and then B2W2.
>>
>>28606401
fuck off retard
>>
>>28611873
>Early games have no plot
>What is Red vs Blue rivalry, Team Rocket, and general introduction and stability of Gym Leader + E4 angle as a concept for the storyline and not the forced angle it eventually became (resulting in its abandonment in the new games)

>Only twist being Blue
>What is Giovanni as Viridian City's Gym Leader

Everything else you mentioned about the legendaries is nothing but excuses given to justify Game Freak making the games easier.

On the subject of secret areas - even if there are more in games post Gen 3, it certainly doesn't feel like it.

Which NPC is it that tells you every type matchup?
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.