[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ARORA!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IKU Z.jpg (198KB, 912x1105px) Image search: [Google]
IKU Z.jpg
198KB, 912x1105px
>ARORA!
>>
Why is it so hard for nips to make L sounds?

I know none of their characters produce the sound, but a human should be able to produce near any sound another human can produce outside of weird sound effects.
>>
>>28595907
Not me, I can't roll rs.
>>
>>28595952
I practiced that because panty and stocking.

It only took a little bit for me to get, was a bit challenging at first though.
>>
>>28595975
It's the same principle: they can if they try, it's just that it doesn't exist in their language.
>>
>>28595907
It's just the way it is. There's like thirty different sounds in Chinese that are indistinguishable to English speakers without a huge amount of experience in mandarin
>>
>>28595907
the sound they use is halfway between an l and an r, most of the time when they learn engrish they can't tell the differenc between "l"s and "r"s since that's what they're used to. and if they can tell the difference, they get them backwards e.g. "peopar" in stead of "people" and maybe "play" in stead of "pray"
>>
>>28595907
Are you serious? If you tried to speak japanese you would say a lot of things wrong.

There are sounds in german that to me just sound like dryheaving and are almost impossible to replicate without a ton of practice.
>>
>>28595884
When I heard it, it fucking triggered me
>>
>>28595907
When a sound doesn't exist in your language it's hard as fuck to replicated it.
It took me ages to pronounce both "th" sounds (as in "the" or "think") rather correctly, since these sounds don't exist in french.

Same goes for the english speakers I know who tried to pronounce the french "é, "u"" or "on".
>>
>>28596114
To replicate*
Sorry I'm drunk.
>>
>>28595907
Well, I'm glad you asked that. The truth is that when you are a child, your brain plasticity is such that it's able to learn pretty much anything, language-wise. From your parents and anyone else around you speaking language you acquire everything having to do with the basic functions of your language, including all of the phonemes your language uses, your accent, and your basic vocabulary. As you get older, your brain essentially gets firmer and it becomes harder to learn language, and that includes things like accents, and pronunciation of unfamiliar phonemes.

Japanese children grow up surrounded by the Japanese language which actually has neither the "L" or the "R" phonemes. They actually have a third, similar phoneme which sounds to our English-speaking ears more like an R than an L, but it's actually shaped very differently in your mouth.

R as in "Rake": [r]
L as in "Lake": [l]
R as in "Roku": [ɽ]

So the actual question is why don't we as English-speakers, have the [ɽ] phoneme, and the answer is the same reason Japanese-speakers don't have the [r] or [l] phonemes.
>>
>Fucker tries to troll
>Receives interesting fun facts about language instead of rage
>>
>>28595907
Each language uses only a number of the possible sounds the human mouth can produce, so sounds that are present in a language may be missing in another one. Now, if two different sounds cause a change or loss in meaning when swapped within the same word, those two sounds are called a "meaningful pair". For example in English t- and th- form a meaningful pair, because torn and thorn are two different words. If a person mispronounce t- as th- in a language where there's no th- sound, that does not causes a change in meaning, it'll sound odd but it's not a meaningful pair anymore. So even if there are number of sounds a person can produce, only a number are recognized as important by a native speaker when speaking his own language. When a toddler is learning to speak, the bran automatically picks up these patterns and learns when the difference between two sounds is significant and when it is not. As you've guessed, l- and r- do not form a meaningful pair in japanese, so an adult has a hard time understanding the difference between the two. His brain has already naturally determined that the difference between the two can be ignored. Obviously through training it's not impossible to perfect one's pronunciation, but it still goes against what your brain has recognized as "rule" since childhood. Hope that helps

Yes I study languages
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.