[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we make Pokemon games more difficult?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 22

File: quality sm chu.jpg (178KB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
quality sm chu.jpg
178KB, 1280x719px
How do we make Pokemon games more difficult?
>>
>>28561777
Limit you to using the same number of Pokemon as the opposing trainer in any given battle.

You still have your team of six, but any time you send in a Pokemon, it locks that in as part of your team for that fight. So if you're against a trainer that uses 2, you're locked into whichever two you send out first.
>>
File: 1474012797172-1.jpg (40KB, 389x331px) Image search: [Google]
1474012797172-1.jpg
40KB, 389x331px
>>28561777
>>
play a different game
>>
>>28561802
That's nice and all, but what if these two faint ? You wait for the guy to beat all the others so you lose ? You reset the game, having to do everything since your last save again ?
That seems really redundant on the long run.
>>
>>28561777
This is what I had to do in X/Y;

I didn't go as far as nuzlocking, because thats over kill but I went out of my way to raise notoriously shitty pokemon (farfetched/golduck/sandslash/ etc etc. No megas, no "OU" or legendaries definitely no exp share raise a full team of 6 pokemon and never level them up higher than the highest level pokemon in the next gym I had to beat.
>>
>>28561886
You lose and pay the prize money, without blacking out.
>>
>>28561777
Give npcs more than 2 pokemon and make them not act like retards in battle.
>>
>>28561987

i'm actually ok with trainers only having 2 pokemon, but there is absolutely no excuse for ace/dragon trainers and ESPECIALLY gym leaders only having 2 pokemon. Its inexcusable and I feel like i've been jipped because it hardly feels like a gym.
>>
>>28562035
Revert back to pre gen 6
>>
Make AI not shit
If im using something with a clear disadvantage I don't want the opponent spamming growl, or it trying to set up more than once when its obvious it'll never get to use those boosts
>>
>>28561886
>That's nice and all, but what if these two faint ?
Same thing that's always happened if all your pokemon faint.
>>
File: Immagine.png (14KB, 513x239px) Image search: [Google]
Immagine.png
14KB, 513x239px
>>28562065
>pre gen 6
>>
>>28562154
DELET
>>
>>28562154
Chuck is more challenging than any gen 6 gym leaders. His Pokemon are decently leveled at that point in the game and Dynamic Punch can be a fucking nightmare to deal with.
>>
Make Trainer battles in Flat Rules only (with varying levels so not every fight is lv50 v 50) . Have them do or not a team preview. Choose equal number of pokes for the battle. [I'd play a mode like this]
>>
>>28562195
Nice delusion.
>>
>>28562217
Anyone who thinks gen 6 doesn't have the easiest gym leaders is the one with delusion.
>>
>>28562246
I would think that if gen 2 didn't exist.
>>
>>28562281
t. Someone who didn't actually play gen 2
>>
>>28562292
Both are piss easy and take no challenge, don't fucking delude yourselves.
>>
>>28562292
t. Someone who didn't actually play gen 2
>>
>>28562316
Gen 6 is easier.

>>28562318
Gen 6's first gym leader is still easier than this. I picked the fucking grass starter and it was still easy
>>
>>28562334
Sure thing, man. Sure thing.
>>
>>28561777
Remove casual
>>
File: 1442497771937.png (43KB, 162x182px) Image search: [Google]
1442497771937.png
43KB, 162x182px
>>28562318
>Level 9 pidgeotto
how in the fuck
>>
>>28562246
Let me interject for a bit and mention that Grant is a cunt, opening with Amaura and Thunder Wave following with Tyrunt and flinching moves.
>>
>>28562361
he caught it in viridian forest
>>
>>28562387
Why are you responding to someone who thinks Metapod and Kakuna make for a good gym?
>>
>>28561777
By making it more difficult.
>a Jirachi event happens
>you get to wish for one thing
>but if you word your wish badly you fuck up and game over

>you meet a character
>they challenge you to a battle
>you beat them, piss them off and they stomp off and it's game over because they had something you needed

>villain has good PR
>you don't try to get PR: get arrested, slandered and chucked in jail
>you try to get PR and succeed: get popularity and random assassination danger
>you try to get PR and fail: the villain slanders you and uses it as an excuse to screw you over

>you join the villainous team by killing the heroes: the villains are loyal to you but the rest of the characters live in hiding as you massacre them all and a child you missed comes back to kill you game over
>you stay with the heroes: the villain comes down and kills everyone you know and game over
>you befriend some of the villains and befriend some of the heroes and half of them support you in the curbstomp battles
>you befriend someone you shouldn't and they betray you
>>
Im playing x for the first time and so far im enjoying it, just beat Korrina and im heading off to the next town. I can see why you guys dont like the exp share, it would be better if you could pick and choose which pokes can get the exp. So far I like gen 6
>hm moves
Will always be a thing :/
>>
>>28562484
sierra pls go and stay go
>>
>>28562484
Go away and never comeback.

>>28561777
Nice trips op.
We make them harder when we just set xp share off and battle style to set. Did help me. But mainstory should be not that hard, post game battle facilities should be like gymns and they should be hard
>>
>>28562500
>>28562522
What's wrong with something a bit like KOTOR?
And who's Sierra? The only Sierra I know is involved in the illegal distribution of copyrighted books.
>>
>>28562522
But I'm retarded and can't take 5 seconds to change 2 settings that will annoy me for the whole playthrough. I'm just gonna complain that this children's game isn't difficult enough for a pro gamer like myself
>>
Level grinding/forcing Smogon sets isn't difficulty.
>>
>>28561777
If you lose to Team Rocket (or whatever team) you get your Pokemon stolen. You can rescue them, but if you wait too long they might get transferred to another facility/trainer.

Simple hard mode with AI boost and better stats. Poison works how it used too.

If your Pokemon faints from a really strong attack it needs to be checked into a urgent Pokemon Center care that takes an hour or so to heal.

>>28561802
I always thought it should work like this aside from "unofficial" battles with people like enemy teams.
>>
>>28562557
>that takes an hour or so to heal
>unless you drop a real $20 on unlocking insta healing
>>
Make rival's Pokemon have full movesets

Seriously, what the fuck was this?
>>
>>28561973
>>28562146
Oh ok, you guys mean it as an actual game mechanic. I thought it was something you'd do yourself to get more of a challenge, like nuzlockes.
>>
>>28562530
Sierra made point 'n click adventure games that have a reputation for being unforgivably hard in the early 90's.
King's Quest is one of them, and it has been revived not long ago.
>>
>>28562593
I remember catching it from her with cheats on an emulator and looking at it being like wtf...
>>
>>28562530
>>28562609
I thought Tierno used this?

Make the games more difficult? More NPCs with Full fucking parties with 4 moves!!!!
>>
>>28562605
Interesting.
>>
>>28562593
Its probably to force the ai to keep using only petal dance
>>
Lower STAB damage boost to 25%
Lower Super Effective damage boost to 50%
Remove baseline crit chance for the player (this has always been shenanigans)
Give trainers generally higher leveled and better built pokemon

There's no reason why trainers have to have shitty pokemon, or when they use good pokemon, they have retarded move sets. The battle tower is proof enough that Gamefreak at least somewhat understands how to make competent pokemon teams for their NPCs.

It's also fucking stupid that in a game where the max level is 100, we still see that the strongest trainers in what are supposed to be the toughest fights have an average team level of barely 65.

The pokemon league champion, or whatever the "final boss" is supposed to be should have a team with levels that ranged from 80-85, at least, and ideally from 85-90.
>>
>>28561777
implement an AI
>>
>>28562735
Additionally, the first run through the gym leaders should be considered "trial runs" for the sake of progressing through the game.

After completing the "trial' fight, the player can undergo the badge fight at any time, but the gym leader will have a high level endgame team to beat in order to get their badge.
>>
>>28562640
>Doubles battle with Tierno
>Tierno sends out Oricorio along with his Pokemon
>>
>>28561777
Your Pokemon get level-capped to not go beyond a certain level, and this cap is raised slightly higher with every badge obtained.
(ie: with 0 badges, your Pokemon cannot level past 15, with 1 badge it is raised to 25, and the cap is removed entirely with all badges)
>>
>>28562154
chuck was hard though
was harder than anything new

poliwrath had surf and hypnosis and dynamic punch
>>
>>28562808
>traded mons, but capped at a level
Okay.
>>
>>28562880
Yeah man 70 SpAtk and two moves with 60 or less accuracy are really scary man
>>
>>28561777
Remove your thumbs.
>>
Move on to a series that isnt made solely with children in mind
>>
>>28561777
>more difficult
you mean add more tedious grinding
because by most retards' logic here, tediousness = challenge
>>
>>28561777
I remembered to kill Lance's Dragonair and Dragonite with a Machop because he always used Agility and Barrier ...
>>
>>28562318
That pidgiotto hits quite hard at that point of the game. If you don't have Quilava or Geodude, you're gonna in some real trouble without a pokemon that's at least 12-13.
>>
Trainer and wild Pokémon level scale
>>
Make the AI bullshit levels of hard, cheap or trick tactics to ensure wins, battles are SET and not SHIFT, have NPCS carry more than 2 Pokemon or at least give them some more types to counter the player
>>
>>28562735
The game protagonists just spend every waking moment training pokemon. Everybody else has other shit to do.
>>
File: 1473858067866.jpg (7KB, 120x110px) Image search: [Google]
1473858067866.jpg
7KB, 120x110px
>>28562281
Uhm, Morty just got through pounding my shit in, so yeah?
>>
>>28562423
This
Dumb underaged kids
>>
>>28562703
yeah, thats the fucking point he's trying to make
>>
>>28561777
Simple.
Whatever level GF makes the opponents Pokémon, tell them to raise it 7 levels higher and everyone who has less than six Pokémon gets one more.
"Set" is mandatory.
Battles are also set at 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 5v5, 6v6
None of that their 2 vs your 6 bullshit.
>>
Make every trainer have six pokemon
But the trigger of how many they use in battle is how many pokemon you have in hand. So instead of limiting the player, if you have 5 pokemon by the time you face your first bug catcher kid, he will also have five shitty bugs with him

give something akin to vs seeker that makes rematches match your level and evolve their mons accordingly

give gym leaders a decent, well thought moveset. they're supposed to be challenges. the vs seeker with even levels would help anyone in need of grinding

the elite 4 should be truly elite, not just "cool trainers from victory road with fancy sprites". their teams should be 80-85-90-95 with the champion boasting a team full of 100s. E4 is totes endgame, let players goof around and do sidestuff before challenging them, when you beat the E4 and became champion the game should end for good, not have you walking around collecting berries near your hometown for some stupid sidequest you forgot to do
>>
>>28563979
>Make every trainer have six pokemon
>But the trigger of how many they use in battle is how many pokemon you have in hand. So instead of limiting the player, if you have 5 pokemon by the time you face your first bug catcher kid, he will also have five shitty bugs with him

Expanding on this idea, make every trainer have 10 pokemon, period. Build them up according to their theme, choose their movesets, abilities, stats, hold items, etcetera. Then according to the number of pokemon the player currently have on hand, pick randomly between these 10 pokemon which ones are going to be used. Gym leaders have fixed team order starting with their strongest but also matching the number of pokemon in the trainer hand, so if you want to solo all the gyms then good fucking luck
>>
File: meta.png (9KB, 408x156px) Image search: [Google]
meta.png
9KB, 408x156px
Better AI for every trainer. Better teams too. They shouldn't have a level 32 Magikarp.
Sometimes they use very dumb moves even if they have something way better in their moveset. They could switch more often, use hazards, weather, etc.

And like others said, obligatory SET and not SHIFT mode, battles with a fixed number of Pokémon for each trainers, full team for gym leaders or other important characters. Maybe restrict the number of items used? Or give revives to NPC for extra douchery.
>>
>>28562334
fuck off
>>
Fixed number of pokemon for each trainer is dumb

"Cool Trainer X only have one pokemon, you're forced to one pokemon too. Whoops too bad you forgot to be psychic and change your lead pokemon before battle and Cool Trainer X instakill you by attacking your weakness! Game over, sorry"
>>
File: 1463389028315.png (89KB, 616x537px) Image search: [Google]
1463389028315.png
89KB, 616x537px
>romhack falls for the "first gym needs six pokemon" meme
>>
>>28564398
If you don't have a full six mon team by the time you reach first gym you're playing this game wrong
>>
>>28562154
His Poliwrath was broken
>>
>>28564447

>Filling your party with Route 1 shitmons.
>>
>>28563733
Maybe you're just a colossal retard?
>>
>>28563023
I bet you are <18 and only played HGSS
>>
Hard mode:
Trainers get one more Pokemon ,have items,can predict,and the late game trainers can use mega/Z-moves
>>
>>28564476
>Implying the first gym will have pseudos
>>
>>28564591
>and the late game trainers can use mega/Z-moves

>lets give this gimmick that is supposed to be super rare and hard to find to every random schmuck near the end game routes

"No".
>>
>>28561777
Make set the only battle option
>>
File: 1380606620926161444.jpg (129KB, 800x442px) Image search: [Google]
1380606620926161444.jpg
129KB, 800x442px
Designated core version and designated casual version
>>
You don't get to choose which Pokemon to switch to if your Pokemon faints, it automatically goes the next one
>>
>>28564823
Better yet

Difficulty options

I know it's a crazy idea that no other game has pulled off before
>>
>>28561777
1. You can only save in certain spots. If you lose you have to redo everything from that savepoint till the moment you got beaten.

2. Normal trainers have 6 pokemons and choose 3 to battle with you (you also have to battle with 3 Pokemons). Gym leaders have 7 and choose 4-6 depending on the Gym rank and you can only use the same amount of Pokemons.

3. You can't use healing potions and status heals during a battle

4. No exp. share

5. You can't control your overleveled Pokemons as if they were transfered to you, until you earn the badge

6. Better movesets for NPC Pokemons and not retarded AI

7. Either you can't switch out Pokemons in the middle of the battle, or NPCs can switch out their Pokemons for strategy purposes. Volt switch or U-turn work as it should
>>
>>28564823
Nah, just have a hard mode that's available from the start.

But real talk: better battle AI is all the games need.
>>
File: assistmode.png (4KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
assistmode.png
4KB, 256x192px
>>28564875

Why not a combination of both? Fire Emblem does it too. But there is still an inherent difference between a game designed for core gamers compared to a game designed for casuals.
Birthright will never be hard to a guy who abuses grinding, while conquest will be challenging to a casual even on lowest diificulty
>>
>>28561777
Play the game properly and it's legitimately challenging. The key is to not by an autistic retard who picks 6 Pokemon ahead of time and exclusively uses them and goes into every major battle prepared.
If you catch everything and use as many Pokemon as possible and don't set your team up specifically for every challenge before you've even seen it then it's pretty reasonably difficult.
>>
-Balance the game around the new EXP share
-Give some of the Trainers better AI (especially Gym Leaders and certain Trainer classes)
-Bump up the number of Pokemon each team has by one or two and increase variety midway into the game
-Sometimes give Trainers past the first couple of gyms better coverage moves or a surprise move ala Egg Moves
-2/3 into the game most Trainers need to have tools that can counter the three starter Pokemon
-Implement this >>28562808 because it doesn't sound like a bad idea and it could keep EXP share from getting out of hand
-Fucking allow the AI to switch/Baton Pass more often

I mean, the only one that I feel might be iffy is making varied teams because the sheer number of Pokemon kids have to deal with. I feel like GameFreak throws a bunch of the same Pokemon at you so that by the third time little Jimmy sees Mightyena, he knows what to do.
>>
>>28565138

>It's difficult if you play like a retard!
>>
>>28562318
>Being Mud-Slapped till 0.1% accuracy
>easier than gen 6

In HGSS Pidgeotto even gets Roost
>>
>>28565165
>playing the game as it was designed to be played is playing like a retard
I didn't realise that looking up everything in the game ahead of time and ignoring most of the game for the sake of having an over-levelled team is playing like a trve genius.
>>
>>28565215
You're 9 right?

Going in blind is still easy
You have to add some dumb rules like montype nuzlocke with no evolving to make it somewhat challenging
>>
>>28564633
Not him, but I actually wouldn't mind if Ace/Veteran Trainers had those in the late game. If only for the sake of fighting a good Pokemon.
>>
>>28565248
You're just a retard, mate. If you play the game about catching all the monsters where your asked, when sent on your journey, to catch and use as many as you can to learn and understand the world by using 6 Pokemon exclusively you're literally not playing the game the way it is designed to be played.

I've rotated my entire team in every generation since Gen 2, I explore the entire region fully, clock huge playtimes and have to rechallenge gyms because I actually lose sometimes because I use all of the Pokemon and, as such, am facing the challenges the way the game has designed them to be faced.

I also used to do VGC and was undefeated for 18 months during Gen 5.

If you have nothing of any actual value to say then don't respond again, please. After all
>hurr you're actually a child because my autism demands I only use my 6 bros and ignore the in-game plot and concept behind the series as a whole
isn't an argument and only proves my point
>>
File: 20160916_161627.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160916_161627.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>28564567
I bet you can kill yourself. Someone that thinks your game isn't flawless is underage now?
>>
>>28565215

>Looking ahead of time

Hardly anyone does this and it's not what makes the game easy
>>
>>28565199
>>Being Mud-Slapped till 0.1% accuracy
>HGSS Pidgeotto even gets Roost
Something that never happens because Pidgeotto is too shitty to survive more than 2 turns.
>>
>>28565321
>the game is designed to rotate your pokemons every three hours like an autist

No it isn't
See: all your rivals. They keep their pokemons through the entire game. Any person that you can rematch or battle several times. They also keep their pokemons. No one trades pokemon like they were clothing every fucking week, it goes completely agains the principle that pokemon are friends that the series hammer on your head. You're trying to pretend some stupid headcanon you have is the intended way to play the series and this bait is so stupid that it made me stupid too and i had to answer

Won't even comment about your part that going in blind is difficult and anyone not losing is because they're reading faqs beforehand because i'm not that retarded yet
>>
>>28565321
If you know how types work it's not hard

Switching out does nothing unless you're intentionally using shitmons like bidoof
>>
>>28565321
>hurr you're actually a child because my autism demands I only use my 6 bros and ignore the in-game plot and concept behind the series as a whole

You actually pay attention to the plot?

Pokemon world isn't glorified cockfights where you throw away all your Pokemon after a new town

You're suppose to pick the ones you like the most
>>
>>28565321

Sorry, you're the retard m8
Might as well argue Pokemon is hard because you play Nuzlocke.

You're just a turboautist
>>
>>28562065
Try turning off the Exp share on a play through. It becomes significantly harder.
>>
>>28561802
That becomes annoying if you have no idea how many pokemon the other trainer has. I mean what if you're leveling up a freshly caught Pokemon, run into a trainer with one Pokemon, and end up losing because you have a severely under leveled Pokemon
>>
>>28565360
>You're trying to pretend some stupid headcanon
I stopped reading there, I wish people would learn not to post if they have no idea how to actually argue.

>See: all your rivals
Who are characters and the Pokemon they use are chosen to help depict their character. You don't know whether or not they use different Pokemon outside of the times they battle you either.

>No one trades pokemon like they were clothing every fucking week
reinsert your garbage 'headcannon' buzzword here

The game literally asks you to catch and use them all. The game is supposed to leave you coming away having learned about the world and its culture from familiarising yourself with Pokemon which are designed as analogues to culture and lifeforms, etc from around the world. You're supposed to use them all/as many as possible. It's literally the point of the game.

>>28565373
Most of the time, sure, but every so often you can be caught out. Candice in Platinum caught be out completely way back when and the Grass leader in Kalos somehow kicked my ass and I can't remember why. Surprise rival battles fuck me over occasionally as well.

>>28565403
I use as many of the Pokemon as possible as the game requests you to because I actually pay attention and fully experiencing things is very important to me, as someone who makes things professionally.

>>28565420
Great argument, I loved the part where you made no points and projected heavily.
>>
>>28565496
>The game literally asks you to catch and use them all

I dare you to find someone saying "catch AND USE them all" in any game

I'm waiting

If you're this commited to your bait, work for it
>>
>>28565496
I had no idea someone could be this much of an autist for GFs shit difficulty

Pokemon occasionally fainting does not count as difficulty

Also they never expect you actually catch them all, that's just an excuse to give you the pokedex
>>
>>28562593

dafuq, whose poke is this?
>>
>>28561777
why do you want the game to be designed easier? You can make it harder by doing nuzlocks, no switch button, you can even add in other rules like you can only ever use a single pokemon center/rest place only once and never be able to buy items, so the benifits of exploring also has the cost of pp and hp.
>>
>>28565527
I'm not going to waste time proving a documented fact and arguing with someone to dense to understand the paper-thin concept behind "catch monsters based on world culture and learn about the wide world in this analogous adventure through an analogous world" the game.
Maybe read what the professor asks you in literally every game, unless the level of English is too complex for you and you need it to be simplified and rewritten because you can only take things on an ultra-literally level.

>>28565532
I don't know how you've come to such a weird, aggressive conclusion.
I play the games and find ample challenges because I play the way the games are designed to be played.
I have lost to gym leaders multiple times over in some games.
The trick is not having actual autism, being able to actually adventure in the world designed to be adventured in and making use of all of your Pokemon, as you are asked to in the games. In doing so, you have a massive selection of Monsters which eventually becomes smaller and smaller as you use some more often than others as the game progresses. Playing the
>here are the bros I picked months in advance, time to only use those so that they're all so strong that it hard counters the level of difficulty set into the games based on the way they are meant to be played!
way and then complaining that it's "2easy" is not the fault of the developer, it's the fault of the player for playing the game in a way it wasn't meant to be played. GF have even acknowledged how they like how many people play the games wrong and encourage people to play it however they want and the rival in XY literally is based on how you end up with less of an experience by playing the games the way you guys are saying you do.
>>
>>28565667
Because nuzlockes are not really that challenging anymore in XY and ORAS either.

The only way to make them challenging is to avoid doing so many things and adding so many arbitrary restrictions that the game barely ressembles pokemon and its just not fun anymore. I want pokemon to be challenging and fun again.
>>
Make it so that you can only use items on pokemon that are not on the field. It is complete bullshit that I can buy loads of healing and curing items and just nullify whatever the opponent does.

I always do "no items during battle" rule when playing Pokemon. Allowing the computer to use healing items while I can't kinda help with their small teams and I sometimes have to think a bit when my pokemon got a status since I can't just Full Heal it away instantly.
>>
>>28565687
>Maybe read what the professor asks you in literally every game
S/He asks you to help him/her complete their pokedex. Nothing about using them all

>I'm not going to waste time proving a documented fact

A.k.a "there's no documentation and i got called on my bullshit o-oh no time to change goalposts"

Bait-chan is disappointed on you. Could have prolonged this discussion if you thought on a better excuse
>>
Just saving at certain points like pokecenters
>>
>>28565687
I only pick based on looks, not stats or moveset and it's still easy

SImply remembering the type chart is all it takes

You're being an autist
>>
>>28562498
Lmao xy is just one big train wreck after the third gym
>>
>>28565667
Nuzlocke is only challenging when you go in blind

Those rules are dumb

Just give us a difficulty mode and give the opponents an actual team
>>
>>28564823
This
>>
>>28565708
well sucks to be you, you already know all the exploits, how stats, STAB, good type coverage, natures ev's/iv's and how to do damage calcs in your head. You can never return to the past where the unknown was exciting and why things did what they did so you made theories and hope your next pokemon run you'd do it better.
>>
File: 1473807767542.png (309KB, 1280x726px) Image search: [Google]
1473807767542.png
309KB, 1280x726px
>Only Set mode
>You can't use more Pokemon than the opponents, especially for special trainers like Rivals, Gym Leader, Elite four, etc...
>You can't exceed the level of those special trainers, they're at last always at your level or more
>Heal items can't be used anymore in battle
>Trainers have more often helded items on their pokemon, also better movesets
>The A.I. is largely improved, they switch more often, the chances for them to switch when they're at disavantage are high.
>>
>>28565687

You've got legit autism man
Nobody plays like you, nobody is supposed to play like you.

The games are designed to be easy enough that you can rotate any time in case you find a new favorite you wanna use but you're not supposed to use everything

>The game is hard if you reset your progress everytime you do something

More autistic than any Nuzlocke player
>>
>>28565808
>well sucks to be you
It doesn't have to, that's the point. Just add a challenge mode (that is actually challenging) again (from the get-go this time) and keep the game piss easy to casual and new players, i don't even mind. Just don't alienate the fanbase that play the game since 1998 and want bigger and harder challenges
>>
>>28565808
Okay I'm convinced this is bait
>>
>>28561777
Remove EQ, thunderbolt, ice beam, flamethrower, lower surf BP, etc.

The games are only easy because you get these powerful moves.

Legit if the highest BP for TM and level up was 60 we would have more trouble overall.
>>
>>28565736
Here's your (you).
I'm glad that responding to a post in a thread about making Pokemon challenging that explains how the game already is by declaring it's not for no reason and calling it bait because you're a retard helped you feel better about yourself.

>>28565763
Nope, I'm not. I approach video games the same way I approach every other medium be it video, sculpture, painting or whatever else; I ignore absolute trash and I immerse myself and fully indulge in the work that I have been presented with.
And I experience a challenge in Pokemon where the challenges are meant to be felt due to my playing it as it is designed to be played. That's it.

>>28565846
Always refreshing when an actual autistic retard tries to diagnose someone else with autism because they're sensitive about being told that they've been playing the game they exclusively play 24/7 wrong this entire time by someone who explained how the game is challenging in that the challenge is designed for the way the game is designed to be played in a thread about the game needing to be challenging.
>>
>>28561802

>People want this
>People hate Sky Battles

Really Sky Battles give you exactly the difficulty you want. You're limited to a few Pokemon and sometimes your opponent uses even more than you. Sky Battles legit fucked me over in XY and I loved the sudden bursts in challenge. A shame that you could avoid them (like most of you probably did, otherwise I have no idea why anyone would call XY easy)

They should expand on the idea of Sky Battles. Like in water battles you should only be able to use Pokemon that can swin.
Or magma battles where you can only use Pokemon that can resist high temperatures.

Things like that
>>
File: 1229582847066.jpg (50KB, 459x620px) Image search: [Google]
1229582847066.jpg
50KB, 459x620px
>>28565904
>the game would be more challenging if everyone just had shitty moves
Someone get this man a Darwin award
>>
>>28565920
Still waiting for that "catch and use them all" line senpai
It's easily documented in every game, shouldn't be hard to find right?
>>
>>28565920

>because they're sensitive about being told that they've been playing the game they exclusively play 24/7 wrong this entire time by someone

You do realize the irony in your post, right autismo?
>>
>>28565922
Thanks my nigga
>>
>>28561777
Get challenge mode back.
Make it unlocked by default, without any dumb IR faggotry.
>>
>>28565938
He's right
Just go to a bulbapedia page for one of the characters that said this look ctrl+f

All quotes are there

>>28565920
You didn't actually respond to my comment about how the only thing you need to know is types either

Just went on a tangent

Explain how someone like me who doesn't read up on the teams or cares about abilities/evs/stats and just goes with things that looks cute can find no challenge
>>
>>28565938
Exactly, so go and look it up yourself.

>>28565945
You do realise that you spelled realise wrong, don't know what irony means and haven failed to make an argument, right?

>>28565992
I certainly responded to that earlier in the thread, saying that most of the time it's still fine, but occasionally you can get caught out by a gym leader having a trick up their sleeve.
If you only use one team or 3-12 Pokemon the game will always be super easy because of the way it is designed. That's just how it is.
>>
>>28564447
wew lad

>>28565759
this but if you get 5% more exp and prize money for each trainer you beat until you save (max 50%), it will give the player a reason why NOT to play like a coward and save every five minutes.
>>
File: 1469000220387.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1469000220387.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
>>28561777
CORRECT ANSWER INBOUND

>Double battles become the standard, maybe even Triple battles
There is absolutely no strategy when it comes to single-battles against the AI.

>Accuracy/BP/PP ratio is adjusted for moves across the board
Actually give an incentive to carry weaker moves by drastically lowering the Accuracy or PP of shit like Flamethrower.

>Lower the TTK drastically
Every single fight is either an OHKO or a 2HKO.
Make defenses like Shuckle or HP like Bilssey the average instead of the extreme.

>Enemies are no longer always required to be "fair" and equal to you statistically
Give them inflated defensive stats or HP.
Introduce postgame superbosses (legendaries) with even further inflated stats.
The "Totem Pokemon" in SM are a step towards this and I hope they stick with it.

>stat increases are now percentage increases with diminishing returns, instead of the current "-3 to +6" system
>healing moves also work off some new scaling formula that isn't just flat percentage heals
>both of the above now scale with a new stat in some way
>team buffing and healing becomes more of a thing from the outset instead of just being some rare thing that like only 15 pokemon have access to
Make healers an actual thing now that pokemon don't die in two turns max.

In other words, rip off better monster-taming JRPGs like Dragon Quest Monsters because Pokemon is flawed on a fundemental level.

This will never happen though because this series is made for children and casuals.
>>
>>28562318

>Mudslap to hell
>Cyndaquil is weak to mudslap
>Chikorita is weak to flying
>Totodile doesn't evolve till level 18

It was level 9 because otherwise this Gym would've been absolut bullshit.
>>
>>28565708
>I want pokemon to be challenging and fun again.
For "something" to be something "again" it needs to actually have been that something.
>>
>>28566030
>Actually give an incentive to carry weaker moves by drastically lowering the Accuracy or PP of shit like Flamethrower.

You mean like the supermoves in gen I had 5 PP and shitty accuracy and no one liked that but still slapped them on every mon regardless? You're a genius!
>>
>>28566017

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/realize

gg turboautist
>>
File: 1468939654019.jpg (50KB, 400x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468939654019.jpg
50KB, 400x720px
>>28566057
Then you simply lower their BP too.
>>
>>28566102
>American English
fuck off to a Trump rally you mong.
>>
>>28566106
too bad shit like PP Up and PP Max exist
>>
>>28566043
>>Cyndaquil is weak to mudslap
Pidgeotto Earthquake vs. Cyndaquil: 5-6 (11.1 - 13.3%) -- possible 8HKO
>Chikorita is weak to flying
Pidgeotto Aeroblast vs. Chikorita: 10-12 (21.7 - 26%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO

Huh-uh.
>>
>>28564476
>not using everything the game lets you use, especially in a hack
And thanks for reminding me of BW1.
>starter
>monkey it's strong against
>doge
>patrat
that's it good luck go beat the gym
>>
>>28561777
Play the Battle Frontier.
>>
File: 1469001299743.jpg (49KB, 500x520px) Image search: [Google]
1469001299743.jpg
49KB, 500x520px
>>28566030
Bah, I just noticed a mistake
>Lower the TKK drastically
*RAISE the TTK drastically

>>28566122
Then you remove or nerf those.
>>
>>28561777
By installing gentoo
>>
>>28564823

This.

Have one version be the "classic" Pokemon (because believe it or not most people playing Pokemon actually are casuals and love things like the new EXP share) and have the other version be some hardcore version with limited resources (like limited access to Pokeballs till postgame), limited heals, more challenging enemies, harder riddles, less EXP gain, lower level unobeying Pokemon etc to make an overall challenging game for people who are experienced with Pokemon and know all mechanics inside out.

That way everyone is satisfied
>>
>>28561777
Double the base power of every move while keeping stats the same
>>
>>28566030

There are some great suggestions in this anon's post (apart from the accuracy thing; let's not add too many bullshit luck mechanics). I'd say move balancing could be done Gen-V style by having the mainstay TMs like Flamethrower only available late on and for level-up, mons learn these moves around pre-final dungeon levels.

I'd like to add that level scaling should be a thing. It is relatively easy to program. The player's highest-level party mon should be the standard. Opponents have mons around this level, with the boss mains being 2 - 3 levels higher, and late-game you can even go 5 or so. Also, certain bosses should be EV'd for their sets/strategies, like Battle Tower mons are.
>>
>>28561777
Just give trainers Pokemon with better stats and moves.
>>
>>28566191
>limited heals, more challenging enemies, harder riddles, less EXP gain, lower level unobeying Pokemon etc to make an overall challenging game for people who are experienced with Pokemon and know all mechanics inside out.
Still too easy. Wouldn't play.
>>
File: 1468510343595.jpg (31KB, 313x286px) Image search: [Google]
1468510343595.jpg
31KB, 313x286px
>>28566152
>the obvious accuracy/critical hit/damage range hax
>no WiFi co-op in Gen 6 even though gen 4 and 5 had it
>A.I. partner uses Helping Hand when you use a status move
>A.I partner uses Helping Hand when you're KO'd
>>
>>28566221

Then play romhacks
>>
>>28566191
Just add multiple difficulty options

That way someone can enjoy both a casual run and a hardcore run without wasting money

Also new game+
>>
>>28566256

Difficulty options don't change inherent game design
>>
>>28566287
>(like limited access to Pokeballs till postgame), >limited heals
> more challenging enemies
> less EXP gain
> lower level unobeying Pokemon

All of this can be included in a difficulty option

Have you ever played other JRPGs?
>>
>>28565852
>want a challenge mod
you know even if every battle was a vgc fight with perfect ev/iv's hold items and competent UI, full 6 pokemon teams out the get go, people would still complain it wouldnt be challenging enough, nothing will make everyone happy
>>
>>28566411
I would
Even if it didnt felt as challenging as i truly wanted, it would be better to nuzlocke on a mode tailored to be more challenging than on vanilla casual crap
>>
>>28561777
Way less access to hold items before the post game. Nothing like o powers. Everyone has a team of six
>>
File: 1474026806704.png (163B, 10x10px) Image search: [Google]
1474026806704.png
163B, 10x10px
>>28563266
>I can't be assed to go to the game options and change from shift to set
>>
>>28564633
Hey, new region, new rules
>>
File: 1473765151387.jpg (27KB, 316x465px) Image search: [Google]
1473765151387.jpg
27KB, 316x465px
>>28561777
NUMBER (#) ONE (1)
(#)
O
N
E
(1)

Give all trainers the same AI as post-game facilities. This is the BARE MINIMUM.

Others:
- Remove "Switch" style, only Set. Make EVs easier to retract/allocate to offset this.
- Bring back held exp share. Party exp share only available in postgame.
- Experience scaling and/or soft level caps
>>
>>28562281
Whitney
>>
>>28566117
Stop embarrassing us, mate.
>>
>>28569816
One hard fight doesn't make the game hard. BW is piss easy outside Marshall and Ghetsis. Clash on the big bridge doesn't make RSEORAS hard. Hawlucha karate girl doesn't make XY hard.
>>
>>28561777
Give NPCs max IV and EVs
>>
>>28561777
We don't.

Difficulty is reserved for the postgame battle facilities and that's fine.
>>
File: 1470776268138.png (196KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1470776268138.png
196KB, 750x750px
Deleting scans. You can through the game without know what you gonna to encounter.
And keep trailers at the minimum.
>>
>>28561777
Level curve. Pokemon is supposed to be a jrpg, where the level grinding??
>>
I'd say you're limited to using the number of Pokemon that your opponent has. Then, you make sure the levels are decent given the stage of the game. After that you give the Pokemon better AI and move sets.

For ace trainers, gym leaders, and E4 you'd give their Pokemon beneficial natures as well.

However, all of this should be part of a challenge mode available from your first playthrough, and it should not be activated by default. (Basically the same way the game starts out on Switch battle style rather than Set). That way the kids aren't alienated.
>>
I'm only going to carry 3 mons at a time in SM with constant rotations

HM slaves being gone is really a blessing
>>
>>28571852
HM slaves didn't really influence the game unless you count unwanted EXP with the EXP All. There's no real need to have a full party of 5 or 6 except for having a cool-looking party or competitive battling.
>>
>>28561777
Well, first you have two modes so people don't complain that it's suppose to be for kids. Challenge mode right off the bat, instead of after you complete the game. Pokemon in the wild should be pretty much the same as the normal game, but trainers should have one more pokemon then usual, or actually have evolved Pokemon. Held items need to be used and Pokemon actually need to have IVs and EVs assigned to them.

Later Gym battles, like from 5-8 need to have full teams, all of them with held items that compliment them and moves that compliment other Pokemon on the team and AI that will use tactics against you and will try to anticipate you switching in.

That's really all you need to make the games more difficult, an on level team should actually have a chance of getting knocked out if you make poor decisions.
>>
>>28565815
I think they should limit the AI for gyms though, make it like the Anime, it's against the rules for them to switch.

Heck, you could go a step further and make the player's pokemon locked in for it too. Go until you KO.
>>
>>28561987
>>28562069

This.

>Weezing
>not using Explosion as soon as possible when my Pokémon are much more leveled than Weezing is
>>
File: hilarious.png (44KB, 202x181px) Image search: [Google]
hilarious.png
44KB, 202x181px
>>28565334
Fucking destroyed
>>
- Give enemies good AI, except to wild Pokémon
- Give them decent movesets
- Enforce Set mode
- Gym leaders scale to your level and party size, similar to how Pokémon Origins works
>>
>>28572569
It made it annoying because you'd always have to carry 2+ mons with you
>>
>>28573538
I'd only want this if there was a disable critical hits mode
>>
>>28561777
Level scaling, for one. You even see it in Pokemon Origins when Brock asks Red how many badges he has before taking out only 2 Pokemon so it'd make sense.
Also better movesets for trainers. Gamefreak should give most Trainers Battle Tower AI and movesets, as well as expanding strategies such as stall, entry hazards, prediction algorithms and whatnot. Seriously I've literally only seen a trainer switch out his Pokemon ONCE (Maxxie in Emerald), it'd be nice if Trainers actually tried to use type advantages/resistances to get the upper hand (eg. switching a Ground-type into your Electric mon, then using a non-ground move because the AI predicts you'll switch out into your Flying-Type or whatever).
>>
>>28565921
I think the reason people hate sky battles the most is three things, one naturally is that it's flying types only, which is fair enough, but there's some flyings that don't have their model in the air which is another reason, most models now look kinda trash because they have to fly for sky battles. Finally I think the biggest hate is that sky battles don't really add anything new or any layer of skill or strategy like how Inverse, Rotation or triple battle added some layer of thought.
>>
>>28570383
You mean the post game battle facilities they don't even bother putting in the game anymore except the standard shitty BT clone?
>>
The game only let you use one pokemon Ledian
>>
>>28573696
>Seriously I've literally only seen a trainer switch out his Pokemon ONCE

This is incorrect

i've been nuzlocking firered recently and i've seen at least three random trainers changing their pokemons. Gary always change too, including back in gen I
>>
>>28561777
Each gym can impose regulations for battle similar to ashnime. You have to do a mini-tournament to enter into the league similar to the battle tower.
>>
>>28564862
So... Play in set?
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.