[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Gen 6 such a regression compared to Gen 5

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

I recently beat the mainstory of BW and while I totally hated the gen, when I played it during its release. It felt strange and not like Pokemon, because of the graphics and of the mons.
Now after I beat white again I must admit these games are way better than I thought and it is a shame people don´t like it.

+ 150 new Pokemon, we knew how awesome XY was with 72...
+ awesome story and lore. They finally tried to make a more deep story, with nice characters.
+ World is filled with life, many secrets to discover
+ Difficultiy is good
+ Post game content is nice, catch hidden(!) legendaries, beat the remaining plasma fags and explore the other half of the region

But eventhough there also some things that weren´t good:
- world was linear as fuck
- too less regional dex mons. Seeing only new mons was nice, but the variaty wasn´t that good. Twindrake gymn only had 3 different mons for fucks sake. At leas BW2 fixed that
- world map is too fucking linear despite it beeing rich of sidepaths.

Gen5 was awesome, but Gen 6 with its complete linear design was compared to gen 5 really really dissapoiting.

Why do people hate this gen so much? Oh thanks for reading my blog.
>>
Because they can't get their nostalgia mons
>>
>>28543937
>Regression Analysis
I was expecting a discussion on how to statistically analysis data. You failed me.
>>
>>28543937
X and Y were rushed pieces of shit to sell the failing 3DS.

Black and White were made in the tail-end of the DS life cycle with no pressure after having made 3 new games plus 2 new remakes.

Figured it out now OP?
>>
>>28544020
this is the thing I am most afraid of anon. Instead of getting new mons, new experimental things we will get even more gen 1 pandering even more nostalgia shit etc.

SM does a great job with breaking conventions, but I think BW already broke some of these really good.

Especially the "instead of getting the legendary mon before the 8th gymn/e4" you will get it after the e4 and this will lead to a fucking showdown.

The only thing were gen 6 was better than Gen 5 was because of easier breeding, HA searching/breeding, faster and more efficient EV Training + you can trade/battle anywhere you like.
>>
>world was linear as fuck
i love gen5 but the region was still pretty linear. they all are. i think gen4 is the only one where you can alter your course in any way.

>too less regional dex mons
weird phrasing here. they were transitioning into 3d which drastically reduced the amount of time they could spend on new pokemon. the introduction of a new type and megas also took time. the idea with megas was that instead of introducing so many new pokemon they would give new life to old pokemon. sadly they primarily choose pokemon that were already very notable for megas.

>world map is too fucking linear despite it beeing rich of sidepaths.
isn't this pretty much the same thing as the first point? no pokemon region has ever really allowed you to choose your path.

overall i think the gen5 pokemon designs were better but the interface in gen6 is by far the best there has ever been. the games are very playable with very little stamina drain. the movement of the player character specifically feels so much better.
>>
>>28543937
I think this is a majority opinion, but people found the Gen 5 Pokemon off putting and/or looked way too similar in concept to older gen Pokemon (Mainly Gen 1).
>>
File: 1417187455051.png (396KB, 596x697px) Image search: [Google]
1417187455051.png
396KB, 596x697px
>>28543937
>Difficulty is good
>BW
>postgame
lel, get the fuck out underage
>>
>>28544084
Just a reminder that Kanto has nothing unique. It's a shit hole and everywhere else can get their Pokemon from their own region.
>>
File: Gen 5 vs Gen 6.png (502KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Gen 5 vs Gen 6.png
502KB, 600x600px
>>28543937
Gen 5 took full advantage of his own linearity by making the routes as interesting as possible and filled with new pokemon, while Gen 6 has the same linearity but offer no incentive to come back to any route
>>
>>28544106
I think I made a mistake, I meant world map and its flow is to linear.
E.g. Kalos is also pretty linear but if you look at the map the first time does it look linear to you? No, because it just looks like a region and not like circle.

>less regional
Oh now I see, you got it wrong the minus points are for BW and which I didn´t like. The regional dex of BW was too small. there wasn´t much variety on the trainers etc. 250-300 Regional mons and 150 beeing Gen 5 would be perfect, but like I said they fixed it with BW2.

Kalos had too much old mons. When I play a new Pokemon game I want to feel like "Holy shit was is this, how do I counter that etc." and not beeing in the E4 and thinking "Oh a gyarados well thundershock"
>>
File: Tails.png (58KB, 200x203px) Image search: [Google]
Tails.png
58KB, 200x203px
>Meets a group of Trainers.
>They're your best friends now.
>You didn't ask for these Cardboard cutouts.

One of the worse Sins of Gen 6.
>>
>>28544106
>isn't this pretty much the same thing as the first point?
I think the point he was trying to get at was that even though Gen 5 was linear it was significantly more interesting because there was a wealth of areas on the side to explore especially in BW2. So it reduced the overall feeling of linearity compared to X and Y which had next to nothing on the side that wasn't compulsory to visit.
>>
>>28543937
>+ 150 new Pokemon, we knew how awesome XY was with 72...
Gen 5 has some of my favorite designs, but some of these are either forced out to populate typings or to ape Gen 1 mons. Basculin was actually shat out because they didn't have enough fishmons.
>+ awesome story and lore. They finally tried to make a more deep story, with nice characters.
Gen 5 story is way too overrated. I never actually feel like trying to understand Team Plasma since the game makes sure you remember that they're the bad guys and they're evil and stuff, and most of the gym leader stuff is "hey i'm a [profession here], i have average morals and please stop team plasma"
>+ World is filled with life, many secrets to discover
"come back to a couple places with surf and find thing"
there's your "many" secrets, though the water routes by route 1 were really cool
>+ Difficultiy is good
Is this a joke? Hydreigon wasn't the whole game you know. Outside of rare moments the game felt too easy as well. Not to say XY is any better, though.
>+ Post game content is nice, catch hidden(!) legendaries, beat the remaining plasma fags and explore the other half of the region
most of the routes you explore are mainly large square cliffs with some bridges, it gets old.

at least you have a point over XY on legendaries.

>Oh thanks for reading my blog.
no problem
>>
You will hate SM and start to think XY wasn't that bad.

Such is the curse of nostalgiafaggotry.
>>
>>28544409
>zelda cycle meme
This place doesn't unanimously hate BW, you know. It's more half and half.
>>
>>28544448
While there's more hate than anything for gen 4.
>>
>>28543937
>Why do people hate this gen so much?
I assume you mean gen 5, so here is my opinion.

First and foremost, I am not at all a fan of the Unova Pokémon designs, although there are some really good ones (Volcarona, Haxorus, Braviary, Cofagrisus) there just aren't enough to overshadow the terrible ones, of which there are too many to name.

In regards to the story, I have to disagree with you that it was deep or had nice characters. I believe the opposite. My biggest issue with it is how active the narrative is - there are a lot of times where you are stopped in order for the NPCs to spoonfeed you their monologue. A prime example of this is Chargestone Cave in B/W. Druing your first trek here, you will be interrupted at least 5 times altogether by either N, the Shadow Triad, or Bianca and Juniper. T his type of storytelling just doesn't appeal to me. I would much rather have optional, hidden lore that you can discover on your own like in Cinnabar Mansion, Ruins of Alph, or Sea Mauville.

Another big issue I have with gen 5 is the spin off games. It killed the Ranger and Stadium/Colosseum games, while also producing PMD Gates to Infinity and Pokémon Rumble U which are both the black sheep of their respective series. Meanwhile the new ones we got were Pokémon Conquest and... Dream Radar.

However, I'll give credit where it's due, B2/W2 are probably the best games content-wise even if I'm not a fan of the aesthetics. Black Tower/White Treehollow, PWT, Join Avenue, the medal system and challenge mode are all great features.

I certainly don't hate gen 5, far from it, but even if you like every game one has got to take the 'least favourite' spot, and that's going to be gen 5 for me.
>>
>>28544363
> secrets
dunno anon, but finding a larvesta egg, finding a cave with new mons (haxorus) was also quite nice. I just say there was things to explore, of course it isn´t some skyrim/dark souls tier but still there were things to discover: TM´s, NPC´s, Mons.

> Difficulty
well I beat Hydreigons ass 1 hour ago, this son of a bitch. But the whole E4 also kicked my ass, but maybe that was because of my team(victini, serpiroyal, fraxure, Seismitoad, Beartic, Scolipede).

>post game
while I didn´t beat the post game then, and now trying to do it. I need to beat all of the 7 sages, Beat the E4 again so I can beat alder + explore the rest of the region

>>28544409
nah dude, I loved Gen 3 to death until I played ORAS, probably Ruby will still be awesome but ORAS was kinda...meh. After playing HGSS I also now that Gen 2 wasn´t such a good gen.

>>28544541
I give you that with the interrupting, but I never felt it annoying. And judging main games with spin off games is kinda strange.
>>
>>28544541
>It killed the Ranger and Stadium/Colosseum games
You do realise the blame there would rest with gen 4 right? PBR and whatever the last ranger was, I think it was Guardian Signs, weren't recieved as well as previous games nor did they sell as well despite being on extremely popular systems.

Also what do spin offs have to do with the quality of the mainline games?
>>
>>28544652
I'm not judging the main games, I'm judging the generation.
>>
>>28544652
>dunno anon, but finding a larvesta egg, finding a cave with new mons (haxorus) was also quite nice. I just say there was things to explore, of course it isn´t some skyrim/dark souls tier but still there were things to discover: TM´s, NPC´s, Mons.
There weren't much though. They actually still have a couple secrets sometimes in XY even, but it shares the same problem.
>well I beat Hydreigons ass 1 hour ago, this son of a bitch. But the whole E4 also kicked my ass, but maybe that was because of my team(victini, serpiroyal, fraxure, Seismitoad, Beartic, Scolipede).
>he had trouble with the E4 when he had victini
I beat Ghetsis without hitting level 50 on any mon, the closest I got was my Krookodile that tore up the E4.
>while I didn´t beat the post game then, and now trying to do it. I need to beat all of the 7 sages, Beat the E4 again so I can beat alder + explore the rest of the region
The sages feel like you're just using Fly to go from point A to point B, not much better than the Delta Episode, really. The Volcarona maze could be fun, though.
>>
>>28544684
The thread is clearly about the mainline games anon.
>>
File: 1473741085615.png (1MB, 1084x852px) Image search: [Google]
1473741085615.png
1MB, 1084x852px
>>28544724
>>
>>28544724
>the closest I got was my Krookodile that tore up the E4.
>krookodile
You were demolished by Marshal weren't you.
>>
>>28544172
>comparing the very 1st route to a post game one

Great job Anon.
>>
>Complaining about linearity
Really? Almost every Pokémon game is linear. And if you guys are not complaining about linearity, you will complain about backtracking, like GS, DPPt and XY did.
>>
>>28544787
My Lilligant beat Marshal, and even if it couldn't whoop him I had a Cofagrigus backing me up too. Krookodile just did the majority of the work.
>>
>>28543937
Well, considering the big amount of time they took on the 3D modelling (of both mons and overworld), XY looked way too rushed.
Now, we can all agree that first versions were never that good, every Pokemon game gave its best with the third version. XY hadn't that chance.
On the other hand ORAS were good remakes, even though a bit rushed, and the only argument I can put against them is that they could have added some extra content ala HGSS.
Hopefully gen 7 will be better.
>>
>>28543937
They added a lot of Pokémon but tons of them suck. Gen V and Gen VI are pretty similar in terms of quality Pokémon introduced.

As for the story it's nothing special. They tried to be deep with it, which is a respectable attempt, but there really is no depth. Waiting until the fifth generation to broach the topic of the morality of Pokémon is silly. Not to mention that really doesn't end up mattering. The game mechanics run directly against the idea that it's morally wrong to capture and keep Pokémon. So the whole thing kinda just falls flat. Not once did I ever question the morality of my actions. So if that's the point they're making then didn't they totally fail?

I don't dislike Gen V but I consider it overly complicated for no reason. A lot of the Pokémon are just plain unappealing, the story doesn't go anywhere, and many of the characters are totally unmemorable.
>>
>>28544874
>My Lilligant beat Marshal
Given Lilligant's limited moveset as well as Marshal's team I doubt that.
>>
>>28544974
I got really lucky. Almost swept the entire team if memory serves me.
>>
>>28544928
>Waiting until the fifth generation to broach the topic of the morality of Pokémon is silly
The story wasn't about Pokemon as much as it was about humans and their wavering beliefs anon. In other words you're viewing it from the wrong perspective.
>>
>>28544845
They're both first routes?

BW and X and Y's
>>
>>28544724
>victini
well for my defend, I played it physical and its moveset werent good. Confusion, Brick break, Flame Burst and Quick attack was its moveset. Probably just me playing it like a retard but I never found good TMs.
Well I had Krookodile on my first play through and it is quite a monster. Fucking Coffagrius was tough as fuck.

>>28544845
these are the first routes anon

>>28544928
Well it´s just opinion I guess, but the thing about is it better to follow the truth or your ideals etc. was quite nice. At first I didn´t even know that the story was all about that, but now I just didn´t rush my playthrough. Especially the moment on the End, where N tells you "you have to power it is your turn to change the world" bam ending. As a kid I would probably be so in love with the game in this moment.

Oh N-Castle´s Music was fucking awesome.
>>
>>28545139
I'm a fucking retard.
Still, part of the route in BW isn't accessible until you get surf and this isnt even the first route with wild pokemon for XY.
>>
>>28545181
I was confused because I played B2 recently, where the route IS indeed post game.
>>
>>28545167
You can get Flame Charge on Tubeline Bridge and buy Thunder for coverage.

Also you could get Searing Shot by heart scale.
>>
>>28545181
Yeah that's fair, but nowhere else in X and Y does this. It's not like their second route is much better
>>
>>28545218
well it´s already over, now I do my post game team with volcarona, dragonite, jellyfish and some other mons.
>>
File: Kalos_Route_22_XY.png (424KB, 492x430px) Image search: [Google]
Kalos_Route_22_XY.png
424KB, 492x430px
>>28545278
>nowhere else in X and Y does this.
>>
>>28545069
>>28545167
>The story wasn't about Pokemon

Yeah, that's the problem. Gen V's "depth" is a bunch of wank. You can wax poetic about truth and ideals until you're blue in the face but at the end of the day you're playing Pokemon. I understand what the story was going for, the problem is that it's stupid and really, really not what I'm looking for in a Pokemon game at all. It's not that I don't think a Pokemon game can have a story with some meaning or depth, but Gen V goes way too far with it for no reason at all.

I suppose some people might like it for that reason, but I just remember it as the generation that had a bunch of wank in the story. If I wanna think about truth vs ideals or humanity and its wavering beliefs I wouldn't be playing a children's game about fire-breathing monsters.
>>
>>28545278
>but nowhere else in X and Y does this

Actually there are at least three routes off the top of my head that have totally optional HM-accessible areas. It's where they chose to tuck away most of the TMs and Mega Stones.
>>
File: XY_Kammer_der_Leere[1].png (83KB, 274x314px) Image search: [Google]
XY_Kammer_der_Leere[1].png
83KB, 274x314px
>>28545308
oh yeah, that route was quite nice. After I found that I was just wow, what the heck is there....and then it becomes that.
>>
>>28545296
Well there's always a future playthrough. Have fun with the E4 rematches though.

pic related, the team that beat the game without hitting 50
>>
>>28545399
I should have choosen tepig, but I wanted it on Volt White, because its moveset is shit.

Yeah thanks
>>
>>28544312
Fucking THIS.
>>
>>28545425
Emboar didn't really do much. Throh became the clear superior Fighting of the team, but Emboar managed to help with Shauntal at least.

You probably should have gone either Tepig or Oshawott or just box your starter. BW Serperior is useful with setup but kind of boring overall.

You could've weakened Hydreigon by setting up Coil over Cofagrigus to +6 and hitting it with Return
>>
I honestly do not care about the actual quality of the story in pokemon as long as they do cool shit with it, like crashing megafug into a meteor.
Sadly XY never did any of this, they have full 3D but it was never utilized properly.
And Kalos is just very dull as a region, why do so many cities lack pavement? It makes them look like poor-ass towns.
>>28545308
Looking at this picture another thing that bothers me is the lack of trees, it makes the routes feel more empty and constricted in a
>>
>>28545485
>constricted in a
an unnatural way.
Pressed enter key by accident.
>>
>>28544312
>tfw Gen 5 friends are more popular than gen 6 friends
Man, gen 6 fucked up. The group of friends in gen 5 has a fuckton of art.
>>
>>28545485
>Sadly XY never did any of this, they have full 3D but it was never utilized properly.

I dunno, I liked the stuff with the weapon.

>And Kalos is just very dull as a region, why do so many cities lack pavement? It makes them look like poor-ass towns.

They're supposed to resemble European villages, which wouldn't have pavement running through them.
>>
>>28545549
He's refering with many of them being very forgettable and meaningless
>>
>>28544143
Try creating a concise fucking argument first against OP's post instead of posting "underage" you literal fetus
>>
>>28545777
but Johto and Kalos have the best towns
>>
>>28545921
Kalos has a nice variety of places. The one town with the fairy gymn is awesome, especially the gymn (not inside but outside). Johto has this 5th Gymn shit, were you need to surf 5 miles and if your pokemon are too weak for it? Go surf 5 Miles again for training.
>>
>>28545921
But what is memorable?
>>
>>28545873
>pokemon
>difficult to begin with
>expecially on the games that started the trend of limiting the gym leader/E4 numbers and short routes with free healings every 2 seconds

only people that claim "but this battle was hard i swear!", like Whitney or Ghetsis for example, they were either shit at the game or really young while they were playing

>postgame
the new areas are basically there cause the game only let's you explore half of the region, unlike Kalos where you go in a complete circle so there's really nothing more about it, and the looker's quest in XY was much more fleshed out and entertaining than going around finding those stupid sages
>>
>>28544652
I dont get this, do the remakes make you not like the older gens because they were good, or bad?
>>
>>28545921
Johto and Unova

I dont even remember the Kalos town names
>>
>>28547606
no I just realized the ugly level curve in the game. As a kid I played the game with only Ferligatr but if I would play the old games now I wouldn´t like it.
>>
It wasn't.
Kill yourself and your family.
>>
>>28547665
Oh, that makes sense. The curve is pretty bad for some people, even if I never really had an issue with it
>>
>>28543937
YOU'RE SO FUCKING GAY, YOUR MOTHER IS FUCKING GAY, HOW ABOUT YOU GO AND SUCK A FUCKING DICK YOU ACTUAL RAPIST YOU ARE THE FUCKING BANE OF MY EXISTANCE WHO THE FUCK CARES WHAT SHIT YOU HAVE TO SAY YOUR ENTIRE LIFE UP TO THIS POINT HAS BEEN A FUCKING DISASTER WICH ISWHY YOU FEEL THE NEED TO RUIN THE LIVES OF OTHERS BECAUSE YOU FEEL A SENSE OF UNACOMPLISMENT FROM YOUR OWN FUCKING PATHETIC LIFE WHICH YOU FEEL LIKE YOU DONT DESERVE SO YOU WISH DEATH UPON OTHERS. GET A FUCKING LIFE LOSER JESUS CHRIST YOU LITTLE FAGGOT I HOPE YOU SWALLOW CUM LIKE THEFUCKING FAIRY YOU ARE YOU ACTUAL PIECE OF FUCKING GO AND DIG A FUCKING HOLE AND DIE IN IT LIKE THE SWINE YOU ARE AND GET THE FUCK OFF MY WEBSITE YOU UNGRATEFUL SLIMY FUCKING DISPICABLE PILE OF RANCID SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>28544409
I doubt people will love gen 6 after the wasted potential that was XY and ORAS
>>
>>28544409
Stop forcing the Zelda Cycle on Pokemon
>>
>>28544020
>Because they can't get their nostalgia mons
Gen V was the most nostalgia laced game I've played. I felt like I was playing Gen I for the first time. I used to be hardcore in love with the first two gens and their remakes, but it's no longer my favorite set. BW completely erased their first place spot from my heart.

I'm just real sad that we probably won't get an experience this fresh ever again. As the games that have come after have been all about "catch the same faggots you already caught! Again!" Hell, this alola form and mega bullshit just feels stale as fuck. I seriously need a new "whole new pokedex, no old pokes" region/game.
>>
>>28544106

Nope actually gen 4 is the third most linear game in the franchise thanks to Mt coronet.

It did had 2 optional grinding routes.

Gen2 is the only non linear for 3 gyms, and it fucked up the game leveling curve up to Kanto.

Linearity is decent, non optional linearity, Mt Coronet and XY are bad.

BW had linearity but you only really needed to use an HM once in the game if I recall, cut on the dreamyard and Sinnoh backtracking was almost non existent.
>>
>>28547982
Had the same feeling anon, was nice to see a regional dex full of new pokemon instead of a mix of new and old ones (worst case being kalosdex). Shame we will never get that feeling again unless Game Freak makes a game with two region, one with a dex full of newmons and another postgame with some oldmons (yet again, i doubt they will bring back the 2 region idea)
desu i like the whole alola form idea, nice way to bring back some old mons, cannot way the same thing towards Megas
>>
>>28547982
I don´t totally agree with you anon, but new pokemons are always nice. For me the best mix was with the Regio dex of ruby. There were still many mons where I was fucking suprised and didn´t know how to deal with them, but also there were some old ones I always liked. But XY had to much old ones, to less new ones.

Alola forms are all right it still are for me new ones and they look nice. I just wish that we get 100+ mons and a regio dex with 200-300 and not more. Also routes are not full of 15 pokemons and the e4 has pokemons that you don´t usually see. I was fucking amazed when I saw salamence or metagross.
>>
>>28544082
So SM would be BW to the 3ds?
>>
>>28544974
>He doesn't know how much of an absolute monster Liligant is

Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance, and Petal Dance are all you will ever need to destroy any in-game trainer that can't kill Liligant before it gets off Sleep Powder, or quad resists Grass.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.