[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I build a team? More importantly, how do I build a team

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: question.png (86KB, 300x449px) Image search: [Google]
question.png
86KB, 300x449px
How do I build a team? More importantly, how do I build a team around a specific pokemon? Right now the only pokemon I've bred and EV trained is a 252 HP 200 something attack and 16 speed metagross. Never online battled before. I'm playing pokemon Y
>>
You just build around what you need. Is your metagross gonna be your mega? And with such little speed investment I would suggest a lead with sticky web.
>>
Did you IV bred the Metagross?
>>
>>28442180
I can't figure out how to get metagrossite into my pokemon Y game
>>28442205
Yes, for attack and speed. I went to the judge and the dude said they "couldn't be beat"
>>
>>28442233
If you don't have 5 perfect IVs (ignore special attack since Metagross is a physical attacker) then you are at a disavantage.
Since you are new I recommend testing teams and stuff on pokémon showdown. There is nothing wrong with using a cookie cutter team especially if you are new.
>>
>>28442317
How do I breed for all five IVs? Do I breed multiple dittos (holding destiny knot) from my friend safari with beldums?
>>
You're not at THAT much of a disadvantage for only having 2 perfect IV's. People who didn't cheat often had only 1-2 perfect IV's until gen 6 when it became way easier to pass them down.

You should learn from the Japanese players who only play on wifi. They don't have tiers, they just use any pokemon they want so we would say they're all at disadvantages... But it is possible to beat anything with anything, you just win more often if you use the strongest pokemon in the game.

I just don't understand the 16 in speed, i'm not familiar with Metagross but if you took that from smogon you should reconsider. Usually people do those random little variations just to outspeed specific pokemon - E.g. I give mawhile 4 in speed just to outspeed other mawhiles.

You should now find offensive and defensive type coverages, Metagross has few weaknesses so make sure it's moves aren't weak against anything you may face. Google it.
>>
>>28441215
There is no real right answer. I know that's pretty cliched, but it's true. Look up rmts from smogon or something if you need inspiration
>>
>>28442518
>>28442876
Alright, Appreciate the answers. I heard something in a video about having 2 special sweepers, 2 physical sweepers, 1 special tank, and one physical tank on your team. Is this what people do?
>>
>>28442937
that sounds like pretty bad advice, when I watch people playing on Showdown ladder they usually use one sweeper and then 5 mons that cover its weaknesses

the best way to build a team is to find 2 or 3 synergistic Pokemon (called a "core") and cover their weaknesses with others

but really just look at cookie cutter teams and find some guides for teambuilding, and don't take /vp/ too seriously
>>
File: 1283668418297.png (283KB, 601x808px) Image search: [Google]
1283668418297.png
283KB, 601x808px
>>28442385
This would be how you do it, yeah. Or you can get a 6 IV Ditto. People will hook you up. If you find the idea of a cloned Ditto unsavory, wait for SM where Hyper Training will hopefully let us make as many Ditto as we want.

>>28442518
Normally I would agree that IVs are a bit overblown, but in an age where it is so easy to get a 5 IV Pokemon, there is no reason not to. At the very least, go to a trading thread on /vp/ or subreddit or something and just ask around for breeding leftovers. So long as you're polite breeders are usually happy to share the goods, and 4 IV Pokemon are ALMOST just as good as a 5 IV and can help you get started either in battle or as a jump-start for your breeding.

Stick with 252/252/4 spreads for now. It is just easier and the real min-maxing doesn't really help until you know what you are doing enough to take advantage of it.

>>28443049
You can google "Nugget Bridge Cores" or "Smogon Cores" and find tons of ideas to get you started towards this end. As a beginner, I highly recommend using other people's sets as a starting point- kind of like training wheels on a bicycle.

Eventually you'll know enough about the game to just do it all mostly on your own, but even VGC Worlds people are building teams together and bouncing ideas off one another.
>>
>>28442385
ah, no. You breed another beldum with (preferably) a different ditto from friend safari. Then you breed those two beldum together with the destiny knot. Repeat. You should really look up statistics and a breeding guide for this. Might as well slap on 4 egg moves so you can trade the beldum for breedjects or other competitives
>>
>>28442233
None of the megas from ORAS are compatible with X and Y. You're gonna need Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire if you wanna use Megagross
>>
>>28443519
Not him but just realized, if you have XY you CAN'T play with anyone using ORAS even though both are gen 6?

this is a marketing scheme.
>>
>>28443392
i see, so you're saying I:
>breed a (for example) max IV attack+ special attack ditto with a beldum
>breed a (for example) max iv defense+special defence ditto with another beldum
>once I have the max IV attack/defense beldums I breed those together?

Also, would I need two destiny knots?
>>28443310
Thanks for your helpful reply! On smogon, I see two different cores I could use for metagross. There's a fighting/dark/psychic core and a steel/fairy/dragon core. Which one do you think would be better?

Once again thanks for the helpful replies anons
>>
>>28443624
Wait, you can't play with anyone at all? I thought it would still let you play if the ORAS user didn't have any of the new megas stones on their Pokemon
>>
>>28443627
yes, all the while using destiny knot. You'll have to double check the babies though, destiny knot only transfers 5 IVs, and you don't get to choose which ones, or which parent. So it might go like this:

Beldum 1: x/31/x/31/x/x
Beldum 2: x/x/31/x/31/x

and it might choose to inherit all but the attack stat, and might choose the wrong parent for each other stat (worst case) in which case you will end up with a:

Baby Beldum: x/x/x/x/x/x, back to square one. The trick is to get 31s to line up on each parent, so no matter which parent the knot chooses, as long as the stat was chosen to be inherited, it will pass a 31.
>>
>>28443998
continued

so let's say you got the best case for the above beldums. (Uninherited stat is HP or Speed, and it chose the correct parent for the other stats) The baby would be: x/31/31/31/31/x. You then breed it with one of the parents... and I just realized beldum is genderless. Jesus christ. Yeah you'll want a hacked ditto, or just breed gendered pokemon and then trade for it.
>>
Honestly OP, if you're not against the idea of injecting, just do that and save yourself a lot of time. Breeding is just a waste of time and doesn't dictate skill in any way.
>>
>>28444277
or this. double 7s twice...
>>
Depends. These are the questions you ask first

1. What format? Are you building for VGC doubles, 3v3 draft singles? 6v6 official? Battlespot? A Smogon meta?
2. What style of team do you want to play? Do you want to use pivots and immunities to do a lot of switching, prediction and mind games or do you want to play something more stable? Offensive or defensive, slow or fast, do you want a gimmick like weather or trick room?

Then you start by picking one core pokemon. For you it's Metagross. Now figure out what set. Say mega Agiligross. Then look at what your win condition is with that core how to support it. With agiligross (lets assume 6v6 singles) your win condition is

1. Kill any physical walls that resist meteor mash
2. Get an agility off without dying

Metagross is weak to ground and fire, so a flying dragon like Salamence synergizes with it from a defensive perspective, and intimidate further helps that. Then we ask how does Salamence contribute to the Metagross sweep, he can use high powered aerialate hyper voices or draco meteors to blast through physical walls. Metagross and Salamence is a pretty decent offensive core

Now you look at your offensive core of Metagross and Salamence and ask

1. Do they need any other kind of support to make their jobs easier?
2. Do these two pokemon lend themselves to supporting another win condition?

Adding secondary and tertiary win conditions to your team is, particularly in 6v6 singles formats, incredibly important. For question 1, the answer is they both want stealth rock support in singles (doubles is too fast paced for entry hazards) so you want something with rocks that also synergizes with them defensively. So get a rock setter (Chomp, Lando-T, Heatran, Hippowdon are all good options, or Azelf if you want to go totally all in). Question 2 just takes experience in the game to answer.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.