[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why does it feel so bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 5

File: Serena(Lose).png (120KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
Serena(Lose).png
120KB, 400x240px
why does it feel so bad?
>>
Because you're the XY rival, the 2nd biggest loser in the series next to RSE May/Brendan.
>>
>>28372027
Hey atleast they didn't make me feel like shit for constantly beating them.

Beating serena over and over was like kicking a wounded puppy that constantly reminds you it's suffering because of your actions.
>>
>>28372027
Honestly I feel like the Main rival is the most annoying out of the whole Kalos group

Also whining about how "We started our journeys at the same time", Running off from the group when they're actually trying to have fun.

And you do a double battle with him several times but there's a part in the game where it's you and Trevor against two Flare people and it's not even a double battle and that's just bullshit.

Also Tierno was smart enough to figure out who the masked heroes are while the main rival couldn't.
>>
>>28371991
Because you're a fucking pussy. Being the best Pokémon trainer doesn't mean you have to win all the time but if Serena always loses to you then that means she's shit.
>>
Do you know Charlie Brown and how we are all supposed to feel empathy or at least simpathy for him, but despite everything, he has this sort of unbreakable optimism that maybe next time it'll all work out and no matter what that just doesn't seem to go out?

It's like that, except the rival in XY doesn't seem to have that optimism. It feels like they are just going through the motions. The other rivals all externalized their frustration in some way, with a simple "shoot", by talking shit and acting superior or just shoving you away. Serena/Calem just accepts it like they're resigned to their fate, except they're not and are constantly whining about it, but instead of doing anything they just sorta internalize and bottle it up.

XY rivals were Charlie Brown without what made Charlie Brown a hit
>>
Just sitting here waiting for the copy pasta.
>>
>>28372304
Which copypasta? The "Jangmo-o is shit because it reminds me of JoJo" one?
>>
File: 1340750007350.png (21KB, 267x308px) Image search: [Google]
1340750007350.png
21KB, 267x308px
>>28371991
For the first few times I felt a little bad. But after the scene where Calem outed himself as a socially awkward asshole and dumped your group of "friends" when you were all intending to visit a spooky ghost house together, just because he was *still* salty about losing against the player character, I enjoyed pushing his shit in in every subsequent encounter.
>>
File: 1473377067062[1].png (109KB, 224x765px) Image search: [Google]
1473377067062[1].png
109KB, 224x765px
>>
>>28371991
>Only rival battles in XY you can lose without the game retconning it are the initial battle against Shauna, and the double battle against Trevor and Tierno

Literally the worst rival. No motive or character outside of battling and doomed to failure at that.
>>
>>28371991
https://soundcloud.com/yungterra/victory
>>
>playing as calem
it's like you want to be gay
kicking that faggot's butt every time was very excellent
>>
>>28372691
This
>>
>>28371991
I cared about Tierno more than Calem. At least Tierno had a personality.
>>
>>28372689
The serena "I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU" one.
>>
>>28372116
i forgot that tierno figured them out, it happened right after you leave team flare's base right?
>>
>>28372116
HA! You actually believe Tierno was right about the Masked Heroes identity?

You actually believe those two lab nerds are the great heroes that helped us through the game?

Anon, please keep your headcannons to yourself
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n89dajOGGh1r8h8t0.jpg (134KB, 500x326px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n89dajOGGh1r8h8t0.jpg
134KB, 500x326px
>>28371991
>feeling bad for bullying girls
what a loser
>>
>>28372802
>No motive
Their motive was finding a way to stand out. They stood out at first by being the smart one of the group whose parents were trainers who taught her how to be good. Then you encroach on that. She later says that she didn't need to try and be different because she already is, there can only be one of her.
>>
>>28373047
>Their motive was finding a way to stand out
That's shit and you know it.

Just like
>MEMORIES
>>
>>28373047
>She later says that she didn't need to try and be different because she already is, there can only be one of her
then there were none of her since she killed herself after she gave up on life and gave you her mega stone
>>
>>28373064
>Say they have no motivation which is totally wrong
>Get told what her motivation is
>D-doesn't count
Yeah whatever. Also, finding herself as a journey of self discovery as well as going on a journey to do fun stuff and make memories are totally legit motivations. What the fuck makes it not count
>>
>>28372304
>>28372978
>Serena starts to cry after losing for the 20th time
>"A weak trainer with a weak spirit. How fucking fitting."
>"W-who are you to decide that?! I've come this far all by myself! That has to count for something!"
>"If it really meant anything, you wouldn't be bawling your eyes out like a child that didn't get her way. Face it, you're a fraud. A joke. You didn't even face the Elite Four."
>"You're wrong..."
>"Didn't anyone ever tell you to respect your superiors? I've only beaten you several times now, and THAT proves I'm better than you'll ever be! Bad girls like you should be punished for your badmouthing."
>punch
>"AAAAAHHH! No... stop..."
>"Oh, what's this? A Mega Ring? That sure came in handy when I crushed your Mega Absol with one hit. It wasn't even super-effective! Not that you'd know anything about type advantages."
>"Put it back! Y-you're going too far! Please, STOP!"
>"Mega Rings are designed to bring out a Pokemon's true potential! But what good is a potential if Pokemon are stuck with a weak trainer like you? Maybe it'd be better if someone else found it..."
>"Please... no, I'll do anything!"
>"You CAN'T do anything! You never could!"
>Serena jumps for the ring, but she's too late
>chucked in a river
>"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
>"Hahahaha! Cry all you want! It's gone, just with any hope you had of being a decent trainer. Just goes to show how weak you really are, Serena."
>"I hate you... I HATE YOU!"
>Tears pouring down her face
>>
>>28373111
Oh, I wasn't that guy, but just because they have it doesn't mean it's shit.

Like seriously they look good compared to the other asses, but that's shit compared to Barry/Silver/Cheren/Bianca/Hugh/Wally
>>
>>28373140(me)
The asses refer to

Tierno - Fat ass

Trevor- Smart Ass

Shauna- Dat ass
>>
>>28373127
i REALLY need more of this. it cant just end there
>>
>>28373140
>shit compared to "muh rage, muh sister's Purrloin" Hugh
woah anon, I know Calem/Serena are shit but let's not say things we might regret
>>
>>28373140
List all of their motivations and tell me any of them are massively better. Hell, why did Blue want to be the champion? He HAD no motivation. At best he just wanted to be better than you but he already felt he was, he didn't have to prove it to himself or anything, and that motivation wouldn't be better than Serena's or even probably Shauna's. What motivation did Silver have to steal the Pokemon from elm? Because he's a dickweed?
>>
>>28373181
>one example

I think trying to get back your stolen pokemon that your family got from your dead grandfather is a bit better than BEING DIFFERENT
>>
>>28373234
It's not a terrible character motivation on paper, but Hugh was a fucking dumbass
>>
>>28373234
I think going on a journey to find out what you want to do and what makes you special is better than MUH RAGE.

We can do this all day.
>>
>>28373191
>Silver family disowned him
>Wanted to prove the world how strong he was
>Wanted to take down his's father's corporation

>Wally
>Frail sickly child looking for companionship
>gets over his sickness with his pokemon
>Strives to be the very best for them

>Blue
>tasked to complete the pokedex by his grandfather
>happens to find the strongest pokemon and does what he can to be the best
He's a little bit rough, but the games are 20 years old. And X and Y were made with a story in mind
>>
>>28373270
>fucking dumbass

Nice argument you got there

>>28373283
>I think going on a journey to find out what you want to do and what makes you special is better than MUH RAGE.

>muh rage
You can just say you didn't pay attention to the game
>>
>>28373358
>>Silver family disowned him
>>Wanted to prove the world how strong he was
>>Wanted to take down his's father's corporation
We literally know none of this. He doesn't even explicitly associate himself with team rocket even though he's Giovanni's son. He says that he'll take them down just like any other weak trainer. All the rivals want to "prove themselves" in some way as well. Silver is one of the stronger rivals because he goes through a pretty good arc but trying to pull headcanon to make his motivation sound better is wrong.

Wally also goes through a nice arc so no complaints here but again "proving themselves" is something every single rival wanted to do, including Serena who was said to have strong trainer parents to live up to.

You already admitted Blue was bullshit.

>Serena/Calem
>Given chance by Sycamore to follow in her parents foot steps
>Wants to distinguish herself from the rest of the group in order to find what shes best at
>You as the new kid are also a battling prodigy which motivates her to get better and prove she's the pokemon trainer of the group
>Later learns that she doesn't have to compete with you to prove she's better because no one is a better Serena than Serena
This was actually a pretty good lesson for kids as well, much better than the more generic motivations of Silver or Blue.

For the record I sont think Serena is the best rival but I wish people would evaluate the characters fairly no matter how much you hate gen6.
>>
>>28373477
>Later learns that she doesn't have to compete with you to prove she's better because no one is a better Serena than Serena
i dont remember this happening
>>
>>28373397
I really hope you aren't the "Serena I'd shit because she has NO MOTIVATION OR CHARACTER DECWLOPMENT!!!" guy because if so right back at you fuckface. The point was actually typing out the points and details of one side while oversimplifying the other is fucking stupid.
>>
>>28373127
>"Please... no, I'll do anything!"
>"You CAN'T do anything! You never could!"

DAMN.
>>
>>28372691
This. Except that I had no sympathy for them from the very beginning. They're probably the most passive-aggressive rivals in the series. They act so condescending to you near the beginning ("Because you idiots can't survive out there on your on, here's ten tips every trainer should know." And then they occasionally give you simple commands like you're a dog or something.), and then switch to being buddy-buddy and equals with you once it becomes apparent that you're inherently the better trainer.

Seriously, fuck them. Every other rival is badass or funny or at least well-written and interesting. Calem / Serena are just annoying.
>>
>>28373477
>We literally know none of this
What?

Wally wanted to beat his sickness and grow strong for his pokemon.

Barry does the whole living up to the parents thing better, as his father is a Frontier Brain. We never see her parent in action so we have no way to relate to them at all.
>>
>>28373511
"When we first set off on our journey, I thought it was really important how different I was from everyone else."
"But that doesn't really matter, does it?"
"Of course I'm different from others."
"I'm the only me!"
>>
>>28373523
I quoted Solver. We don't know anything about his circumstances or anything. That's the problem. He does eventually get motivated by Lance later in the gamr but he has no reason to be doing the shit he's doing until then. He doesn't even specifically want to take down team work more than anything else, hr just hates all weak trainers including them and of course he'll take down all the weaklings. Being Giovanni's son isn't said to motivate him or inform is actions.
>>
>>28373514
>I really hope you aren't the

I'm not. But she really has no devolpment. She says she realizes that she just needs to be herself, and that's it she doesn't do anything else as a character after that.

Barry becomes more serious after losing to Galactic

Silver learns from Lance

Wally tries his best and is fighting for his pokemon when he is sickly

Bianca wants to make it from home and shows her Dad she can take care of herself

Cheren realizes being the strongest isn't everything

N (debatlbe if he's a rival) learns nothing is a one sided argument

And Serena learns "to be herself" if that person is what >>28373521 is describing maybe she shouldn't be
>>
>>28373541
but in your final battle shes still trying to prove shes different. she even starts it off by saying she''ll show you what makes her special. when she loses she tells you shes just gonna copy you to be better
>>
>>28373571
Serena learns to be herself instead of trying to be a speculative snowflake

The last sentence is you just being a faggot
>WELL SHE LEARNS A LESSON BUT SHES SHIT ANYWAY
Nice one
>>
File: Untitled.png (47KB, 1283x218px)
Untitled.png
47KB, 1283x218px
I thought this was a good/unique analysis of Serena's character, but I guess the majority of people misread it as >>28373521.
>>
>>28373566
>We don't know his circumstances
I will become a stronger man all by myself! All by myself!"

>He doesn't even specifically want to take down team work more than anything else
"… Didn't I tell you that I was going to destroy Team Rocket?

>Being Giovanni's son isn't said to motivate him or inform is actions.
I will never become someone like you. A coward when you're alone and acting like a tyrant when you're in front of other cowards! I will become strong!

Get fucked
>>
>>28373610
>>28373597
Literally how does she change as a character beside a one off line?
>>
>>28373597
She says she'll you what makes her different, and then says she'll improve using what she learned from the battle with you. What's the problem? It is just generic rival NPC speak.
>>
>>28373012
Yeah
>>
>>28373612
That whole thing is pretty cool, but it's literally headcannoning
>>
>>28373630
People, everyone, can tell she gets more and more negative thought the game as you best her because she's failing to stand out. She isn't negative anymore at Kiloude, she's looking at the losses as ways to improve herself.
>>
>>28373665
I don't think it's anymore headcanon than she being a passive-aggressive salt mine that literally berates you at every corner.
>>
>>28373672
Can you get me a quote or anything backing this up?
>>
>>28373643
>What's the problem? It is just generic rival NPC speak
the problem is thats your last rival battle. if shes still trying to prove shes different, then she didnt learn shit and her character arc meant nothing
>>
>>28373696
>Imagine her staying up all night handmaking these little notebooks for all these people......

I think it's a cool idea though
>>
>>28373612
Serena/Calem confirmed lonely spergs.
>>
>>28373726
Fucking this

Like silver evolves his pokemon through happiness in his last battles
>>
>>28373735
It's okay if it's Serena because girls are cute.
>>
>>28373706
"It was so strong! I could feel how powerful the bond between you and your partner is. Losing is frustrating, but... You will definitely be able to Mega Evolve your Pokémon! I'm sure of it!"

Versus

"I'll think about what you did well and use this loss to make me better!"
"When we first set off on our journey, I thought it was really important how different I was from everyone else."
"But that doesn't really matter, does it?"
"Of course I'm different from others."
"I'm the only me!"
>>
>>28373726
>>28373754
She isn't trying to prove she's different. She doesn't need to. She literally says this right afterwards you imbeciles.
>>
>>28373127
Ugg, why is this arousing?
>>
>>28373781
Literally a one off line. There's no point in changing as a character if her character doesn't do anything afterwards to reflect it
>>
>le XY characters are shit meme

I mean I guess if they weren't forgettable they were terrible

hopefully SM is a cameo goldmine
>>
>>28373797
Cause girls have told you they hate you so many times you developed a coping mechanism to deal with the loneliness amd rejection.
>>
>>28373846
That's literally the last lines from her in the game. What the fuck. It's reflected in how she acted through the rest of the gamr to how she acts kiloude. She isn't developed further dter Kiloude because Kiloude is the last part of the fucking game. Even besides her dialog at Kiloude she picks up new Pokemon and Mega evolution. This is like asking for Silver to gthrough another arc after going through the first one. The arc has already happened and we've seen change in the dialog between how she was before and the way she is now. There's less dialog because the only time you see her after the climax is at Kiloude as with most rivals showing up at the battle frontier equivalent.
>>
>>28371991
I wish it didn't always end like that, with her face in her hand. It looks so pathetic, like even after fifty losses, she still gets upset over it. I would've preferred something a bit more accepting, like an "Wow, you're so tough!" kind of gesture.
>>
>>28373127
Whew, I like this Calem.
>>
>>28373987
The characters take themselves very seriously but in a realistic kind of way. Its kind of out of place in Pokemon. That's exactly the kind of emote someone makes after losing 50 times in real life if they take themselves seriously. Characters like Silver who is a sore loser but is so cartoon and over the top about it it doesn't feel as out of place in a cartoon world like Pokemon.
>>
>>28374046
I swear, if she were ten years older, she'd be carrying around a bottle in a bag and a pack of cigarettes every time you battled. She's not even 16 and she's already given up on life.
>>
>>28374081
It's alsonkind of like Cheren who is the straight up cool headed smart guy trope. He such a played up cutout it wouldn't feel strange coming from them. But Serena has kind of very generic, non specific dialog without a very defined and straightforward character even though I feel she's a similar role to Cheren (the battle-smart one of the group). I mean you get the sense of a generally nice person with a competitive streak, like a real person, but it doesn't stand out at all, especially when most people who aren't major characters like generic NPCs also have generically nice dialog.
>>
>>28372270
Holy shit, this is a really good analogy.
>>
>>28371991
Because you picked the male character.
>>
>>28372162
> Being the best Pokémon trainer doesn't mean you have to win all the time

Wrong. Maintaining a perfect win record is the only way to be the best.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.