[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was there any specific reason why Gen 1 backsprites looked like shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: w3Vud.png (26KB, 512x320px) Image search: [Google]
w3Vud.png
26KB, 512x320px
Was there any specific reason why Gen 1 backsprites looked like shit?
>>
>>28344607
Man, it's always freaky when you remember that Pokemon Red and Blue were basically the same shit quality and buggy as any random Gameboy game, it just took off and got popular and grew into what it became today
>>
>>28344607
>gen1
Thats you answers.
>>
>>28344607
>implying any of those are actual Gen I sprites
>>
>>28344607
I always find the quality jump from gen 1 to 2 amazing
>>
I'm going to say... They had a shitty dot artist
>>
Hardware
>>
>>28344737
/thread
>>
>>28344639
Goes to show you how amazing the gameplay was. That shitty old buggy game that looks like ass is the only reason we're even here
>>
The Mew one was done by a programmer, and the others were the last thing the artist had to do. If any sprites would be affected by a budget running out, they would be the backsprites.

>>28344667
Those are the Japanese R/G ones.
>>
>>28344834
Weren't backsprites the same across all Gen 1 games, and only the frontsprites differed from RG, B, and Y?
>>
Make a bug and glitch filled game with kinda bad grafics.
No one cares and then Mew happens.

Then a year after sell the patch full price.

Kek and now people call Game Freak lazy.
>>
>>28344773
You know that no one give a shit about the game until Mew right?
>>
>>28344773
I'm convinced Missingno. was a big part of it. A bug that could have easily just crashed the game or erased your saves, but the bits perfectly aligned to do specific things that were easy to test and document, spreading the mystery on playgrounds and across the infant internet
>>
>>28344891
Yes. They're the same backsprites throughout RGBY.
>>
>>28344607
Inexperience. Laziness.
They drew the sprites very small before resizing them to twice their original size.

They probably looked better when they were smaller. And if they originally thought the sprites HAD to be that smally, it would be understandable that they'd look a bit misshapen.

But once they finished, resized them to fit the screen, and realized they looked like shit, they were to lazy to redo them.
>>
>>28344607
There was only like 2 MBs of storage in the games. Not enough to have super amazing sprites.
>>
>>28345045
>resized
Explain
>>
File: images (8).jpg (5KB, 180x135px) Image search: [Google]
images (8).jpg
5KB, 180x135px
>>28344834
>>28344891

>Gameboy color
>>
>>28344639
Almost all gameboy game are glitchy as fuck.
The final fantasy legend games are still one of my favorite gameboy games of all time and they have so many problems
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2306x2103px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2306x2103px
>>28345115
I mean, just look at the sprites. See how neat Pidgey's looks? All of the "pixels" are, in fact, pixel-sized.

Now look at Rapidash's sprite. See how large each individual "pixel" is? Look at its nostril. The end of its horn. Each square/"pixel" is four times the size of a pixel.

They drew them, then resized them. Hence the messy blocky look.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2KB, 178x67px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2KB, 178x67px
>>28345115
Here, this one's easier to see. Front sprite, original back sprite, and back sprite I shrank to match the front sprite's resolution of 1x1 pixels.
>>
>>28345356
Oh shit, it's so small. So they resized the tiny sprites to fit a bigger space rather than create bigger sprites.
>>
>>28344607
Yeah. It's that gen 1 was shit.
>>
What do you guys mean when people only cared about the game because of mew?
Can you elaborate please? This is interesting
>>
>>28345283
>>28345356
Eh, they still look like shit even when small.
>>
>>28345283
The back sprites are drawn at half the size to simulate the Pokémon being closer to you. They made the pixels twice as big because the Pokémon is half the distance away from you. It's dumb, but I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.