[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is the overall best written character in the Pokemon franchise?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12

File: 198.jpg (564KB, 1824x1300px) Image search: [Google]
198.jpg
564KB, 1824x1300px
Who is the overall best written character in the Pokemon franchise?
>>
>>28341834
N.

You know their beginning. You know their present. You know their end.
>>
From the games, it's N.

From the PokeSpe manga, it's Pryce.

From the anime, it's OG Mewtwo.
>>
>>28341834
Probably Cyrus. First they make a guy who wants to destroy/remake the world because that's what JRPG villains do, then they go the extra step and create a person who could realistically have a believable reason to want to do that beyond "I'm evil as fuck".
>>
>>28341864
what? character arcs?? in video games??
>>
>>28341834
N, Sycamore

Funny how the more fabulous people get more attention.
>>
>>28341913
Yeah, I second this. N was well written too, but something just worked better for Cyrus.
>>
>>28341864
Either this or Lysandre. I think I lean towards N since he ended up mostly a protagonist but Lysandre is vastly underrated due to being swept up into Gen 6 hate.
>>
File: 165px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Blue.png (65KB, 165x407px) Image search: [Google]
165px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Blue.png
65KB, 165x407px
>>
>>28341834
Paul
>>
It's ya boy!
>>
>>28341834
Ghetsis.
>>
>>28342070
>>28342124
Those two in succession just sounds like disappointment.
>>
>>28341834
Cyrus, N, Silver, Arceus and the Unown
>>
>>28342223
Say "It's ya boy!" in an energetic, Brooklyn accent.
Then say "Ghestis in a flat, Darth Sideous voice.
>>
>>28341834
Gladion. The scene after Lusamine rapes him was surprisingly poignant.
>>
>>28342223
>anon's reaction if there are ever B/W remakes
>It's ya boy!
>Ghetsis.
>>
>>28341881
N is terrible. You're a moron and have awful taste.
>>
File: Black_2_White_2_Ghetsis.png (152KB, 374x600px) Image search: [Google]
Black_2_White_2_Ghetsis.png
152KB, 374x600px
>>28342257
Now I'm imagining a Ghetsis masquerading as Guzma, it's an interesting image
>>
File: 1451012007653.jpg (63KB, 500x640px) Image search: [Google]
1451012007653.jpg
63KB, 500x640px
>>28342257
It's ya boy
>>
>>28342309
Something something, "how do you do, fellow children"
>>
Bianca and Cheren from BW have the most coherent character arcs.
>>
>>28342302
It's literrally the only character that has real development and background in this franchise
>>
N wins by default.
>>
File: 1473203276631.jpg (29KB, 425x348px) Image search: [Google]
1473203276631.jpg
29KB, 425x348px
>>28342021
>blue
>well written
Topu keko
>>
>>28341834
Where is this image from?
>>
File: 1353202800432.png (247KB, 675x800px) Image search: [Google]
1353202800432.png
247KB, 675x800px
Silver
>>
>>28341834

>implying that manga has good writing
>>
>>28341834
Overall? Mewtwo in the anime. I genuinely found him sympathetic and compelling.

In the games specifically, Cyrus.
>>
>>28342657
I don't remember much about DDP, what was so good about Cyrus?
>>
File: Chapter 1 page 1.jpg (1MB, 1913x2800px) Image search: [Google]
Chapter 1 page 1.jpg
1MB, 1913x2800px
>>28342559
Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa.
>>
>>28342795
Arceus bless you anon
>>
>>28342708
Cyrus is an emotionally stunted man who wants to destroy the universe and make a new one without spirit/emotion, because he believes they're pointless and contribute to conflict. He creates a cult of personality around himself and manipulates his team by acting like they're going to create a better world, but they don't know he literally wants to make a new world.

It's implied part of the reason he hates emotions and represses them is because of how he was treated by his parents as a child, through a conversation with his grandpa. This is how it is in Platinum anyway - I believe DP is different.

As far as Pokemon characters go, I thought he was pretty interesting. It's too bad his backstory wasn't elaborated on more but a lot of characters don't get any backstory at all so at least he got something.
>>
>>28342708
He wanted to destroy the world, and use Palkia and/or Dialga to remake it to his specifications. These specifications were a world without emotions, dictated only by logic without the "waste" that feelings and such caused.
Cyrus himself was a literal autist/aspie with no ability to interact with anyone else for anything other than logical progressions of activity. Kind of like an evil Vulcan.

Basically it's that they bothered to even make a motive, let alone a good one, for "Generic JRPG Plot number 2" than anything else.
>>
File: 1473283882234.jpg (758KB, 1824x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1473283882234.jpg
758KB, 1824x1300px
>>28341834
What would Kurosawa's team be?
>>
Barry

The most visable change in any character so far.

Also N, Wally, Maxie/Archie, they all show noticeable, dynamic character develoment throughout the main story

Blue is ok.
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 225x225px
Cyrus > N > > > > > > Lysandre

Lysandre is just Cyrus lite for contrarian faggots who pretend to like gen 6 because it makes them feel like a special snowflake.
>>
>>28342568
I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ALL ARE UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE!
>>
No Colress? I thought /vp/ was B2W2 circlejerk central.
>>
>>28341834
mr.bonding
>>
>>28343669
I AM... I AM A MONSTER
COACH
Silver's dialogue is simply poignant.
>>
>>28343757
He's a funny meme character, not a well written character.
>>
Silver is my vote for best written. He starts out as a complete bastard that you can't help but dislike. Over the course of the game, you see his failures in battle against Lance and yourself weigh on him and make him pensive. What makes him well written is that the writers didn't push his development, they let him grow as a character without forcing him to transform into a completely nice person. Showing his character growth through the way he describes his pokemon and his Crobat's evolution were nice touches that were a bit more subtle than I usually expect from these games.
>>
>>28341834

N. At first you think he's just some weirdo who bought into Plasma's spiel a bit too much and more than a little on the autistic side. Then the castle happens and suddenly a lot of how he acts makes horrifying sense. The moment you enter his room and realize just how fucked up he is one of the best moments in the franchise.
>>
>>28341834
Silver
>>
>>28342441
>It
>>
>>28343857
He's ok
>>
OFFICIAL LIST OF AT LEAST SOMEWHAT WELL-WRITTEN CHARACTERS IN POKEMON GAMES

ORAS: Archie, Maxie, Wally
XY: Emma, Looker, maybe Sycamore
BW2: Colress
BW: N, Cheren, Bianca
DPPt: Cyrus, Barry, Looker
HGSS: Silver

Am I missing anyone?
>>
File: 1459821990208.jpg (36KB, 241x403px) Image search: [Google]
1459821990208.jpg
36KB, 241x403px
>>28343624
>Comparing Cyrus to Lysandre
>Comparing a man who was endlessly abused growing up and became convinced there was a fundamental problem with the universe that needed to be fixed by any means necessary
>To a spoiled rich shithead that threw money at problems and then acted surprised when they developed a dependency on him, causing him to immediately convert to genocidal social darwinist

Their goals aren't even all that similar. They just used similar rhetoric of "building a better world".

I mean, I know you're still shitting on Lysandre and all. But they're completely different. Also Team Flare is literally the worst gang in the franchise.
>>
>all these N answers
best written =/= most screentime
>>
Maxie, Archie and N.
>>
>>28341994
But we don't know what led him to his goal or what he was like before it it.

He just said, I can't help everyone. Better off killing them
>>
>>28341834
your partner in PMD sky
>>
>>28344497
Well fucking put anon
>>
>>28344498
It's not like he talk that much. Zinnia has more lines than BW N
>>
>>28342708
>I don't remember much about DDP

Well, despite getting into the business at such an old age, he was pretty successful in WCW. Later he had a dumb feud with the Undertaker and now he has his own yoga program, with which he saved Jake the Snake's life.
>>
>>28344498
Well written =/= character growth or progression
>>
Silver
>>
>>28344488
Yeah, I'd probably say these are the only characters who should be in the running-
>>28344644
OH SHIT I forgot about pmd; that was some good shit.
>>
>>28345651
I've always wanted to try the PMD games but never got around to it. What would be a good game to start with?
>>
>>28344497
>>Comparing Cyrus to Lysandre
>>Comparing a man who was endlessly abused growing up and became convinced there was a fundamental problem with the universe that needed to be fixed by any means necessary
>>To a spoiled rich shithead that threw money at problems and then acted surprised when they developed a dependency on him, causing him to immediately convert to genocidal social darwinist
I can play this game too
>Comparing Lysandre to Cyrus
>Comparing a man who dedicated his life to helping people in need only to realize it wasn't enough to deal with all the strife in the world
>To an autistic baby whose parents didn't love him enough and was bullied and decided that nobody should feel love by resetting the universe
Hell I think my Cyrus was more accurate your Lysandre was
>>
>>28345734
Blue Rescue Team or Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky are good, but if you're not used to random dungeon crawling Super Mystery might be a gentler intro to the franchise from what I can tell which is very little because my L button doesn't work and that is required to progress; I've only read up on the mechanics and played a bit on a friend's 3DS. If I had to pick one I'd go with Sky. They are all worth playing though.
>>
>>28344488
I know Gen 1 was shit and all, but Blue was well-written if we include his GSC/HGSS character.
>>
>>28345831
>>28344497
Best written character doesn't mean least bad anyways. People like Lysandre and Cyrus exist, except they don't go as far as trying to destroy the world
>>
I love wally as a character so my vote is for him. I['m so sad he can never actually beat me i've never felt that way/
>>
>>28345863
That's fair, I was thinking about adding Blue actually.
>>
>>28344488
What about Hugh and Blue?
>>
File: fec.jpg (30KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
fec.jpg
30KB, 600x400px
>>28346006
> Hugh
> Well written
>>
>>28346006
>Hugh
Who?
>>
From the movies probably "Molly" on the second. Say what you will, but she goes through a full character arc and grows from her experiences
>>
>>28342568
don't cut yourself with that edge
>>
File: ruby_sapphire_wally.png (156KB, 242x600px) Image search: [Google]
ruby_sapphire_wally.png
156KB, 242x600px
>>28341834
legitimately
>>
>>28341834
N > Colress >>>>>> Silver >>>>> Lysandre > everybody else

Hoping our boy Guzma has a good arc.
>>
>>28346465
What's so good about Colress?
>>
>>28345831
>Hell I think my Cyrus was more accurate than your Lysandre was
Nope.

While it's true his own experiences were a large influence on his outlook, even minor observations would support his conclusion. Emotions are the source of most strife in the world. To him, a world without war and suffering but also void of emotion was preferable to what we have now. It doesn't make any of it right, but at least you can see where he came from, even when you closely examine his motives, ideals, and methods. Remaking the world sounds horrible, but keep in mind he was using Dialga and Palkia to this end. It may have a similar end result, but rewriting time and the laws of the universe isn't the same as genocide. At best it ensures a different future for those alive, and at worst it simply means they no longer exist.

It's not like I spoke any falsehoods about Lysandre, either. He was indeed born into wealth and status. He had good intentions, but his methods were flawed in that he simply threw money at problems and caused people to become dependent on him. Then, he became outraged at this dependency and even moreso when they didn't respond so kindly to being cut off. It takes a spoiled mindset to act this way and then come to the conclusion that most of humanity is unfit to live. On top of all that, Team Flare is just a monumentally retarded idea to begin with.

>Form criminal organization
>Run around in gaudy-ass uniforms committing petty crimes
>Charge five fucking million pokedollars just to join the organization
>Can only afford that fee if you're some trust fund baby, businessman, or celeb
>Master plan is to exterminate most of humanity leaving just themselves
>Trust fund babies, businessmen, celebs, and a handful of highly specialized scientists, most of whom have no actual survival skills to live in a world where society is basically gone
>Expecting a group selfish enough to support genocide over resources to ever make a paradise

Lysandre is fucking retarded.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.