[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Smogon doesn't want you to use your favorites

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1369877960418.png (39KB, 355x252px) Image search: [Google]
1369877960418.png
39KB, 355x252px
Where does the "Smogon doesn't want you to use your favorites" mindset originate from? Smogon wanting you to use your favorites is precisely why the tiering system exists in the first place. Nobody wants to pit their Illumise against a standard OU team.

Like, obviously if you just mindlessly stick your favorites on a team without trying to make them work together you're not going to do well. But it's not like Smogon cares if you do well or not.

And who are we referring to when we say "Smogon", anyway? The leaders? The community? The twelve-year-old who got upset he lost to a Crobat?

Is it just the fact that Smogon has optimal sets on their Pokedex, meaning that they think every Pokemon should only do one thing, or something? Because, well, yeah, they analyze what a Pokemon's strengths and weaknesses are for the format and recommend sets that can do the most. Like, Azumarill has a very good dual STAB, and a very high Attack, so Waterfall and Play Rough are almost mandatory. Some Grass-types can wall the STAB combo, so naturally Knock Off or Superpower are going to be the recommended coverage moves. Then Azumarill is pretty slow, so Aqua Jet is a necessity. Thus a set for Azumarill could be: Adamant, Choice Band, Waterfall/Play Rough/Knock Off/Aqua Jet, maximize HP and Attack, and invest in some Speed to outspeed Clefable or uninvested Rotom-Wash.

"Smogon", whoever that is referring to, isn't going to get angry that you're using a physically defensive Azumarill with Water Pulse and Yawn.

I really don't understand where this mindset comes from. Can somebody explain it, please?
>>
>>28286702
It comes from VGCucks
>>
File: JgPUO5B.gif (971KB, 366x229px) Image search: [Google]
JgPUO5B.gif
971KB, 366x229px
>>
File: 1466222079557.png (119KB, 244x238px) Image search: [Google]
1466222079557.png
119KB, 244x238px
>>28286742
Come on, you don't have to bring down another community to defend your own.
>>
>>28286702
Good thread, thanks for calling out the cancer of anti-smogonfags.

It's funny, because no matter how many times we have a discussion where we elucidate Smogon's operations for them, they keep making the same complaints over and over. Makes me think it's underagefags or tourists complaining based on the number of times we keep going over it.
>>
I'm going to bump this because I really do want this to be cleared up.

>>28286820
It gets very tiring and repetitive.
>>
>>28286702
I don't hate smogon at all. Far from it. I actually like smogon and respect it for attempting to take as much of the randomness factor out of the metagame and make it as focused on pure skill as possible.

That said, I do think smogon is a bit...stubborn. Not when it comes to tiers because I don't care at all about those. I say they're stubborn because they have a tendency to believe that if you don't use that exact set, its gonna fail in battle. No experimentation at all.
>>
>>28287523
This is exactly what I'm referring to.

>they have a tendency to believe
Who is believing this? Who is persecuting you for using Thunder Wave on Rotom-Wash instead of the standard Will-O-Wisp? People experiment a LOT, but obviously if you do nonsensical stuff like, again, Water Pulse Azumarill, it's not going to work well and you're probably going to lose.

And, again, it's not like "Smogon" cares if you experiment. What exactly are you referring to when you say this, can you please provide an example?
>>
>>28287523
Like OP was saying, who do you mean by Smogon?

If you're talking about mid to low players, they have a tendency to abide by recommended sets like the bible. And if you deviate from that, they look down on you. On the contrary, the players who fare well and reach the high ladder in general use custom sets and mons that they want to use, because they know how to make them work.

So really, I'd say your complaint isn't at Smogon the organization but at players that lack a conscience for teambuilding and project that on others.
>>
>>28286742
Not even VGC players can defend this years VGC meta, MUH PRIMALS.
>>
They do some good and bad.

I'm fucking mad about "Baton pass caluse" and mega mawiles ban.

Should have never happened.

Other than that, I'm cool with em.
>>
>>28288397
Baton Pass clause has been tricky, but I think their measure is fine because it hits the core of the issue either way.

I found it simpler to ban Stored Power, but I think they felt it should be preserved to let things like Mega Latias and Sigilyph keep their niche.

As for Mega Mawile, it was too much. It drew a kill virtually every time it came out, or severely weakened the team as you switched around otherwise. The problem was it had coverage that let it handle the Steel and Fire types that attempted to wall it. Arcanine is its best (and only, really) counter because it has Morning Sun and Intimidate to let it take things like Focus Punch and Stone Edge. Problems were, a) that's just 1 solid counter, b) Stealth Rock could wear down Arcanine pretty reliably, and c) Morning Sun only has 8 PP anyhow.
>>
I secretly believe it's all inflammatory wolf guy's fault. Also /vp/'s very angsty and naive about other websites.
>>
>>28288577
I fucking mass pass +2 attack and +1 speed to my Kyuurem-B

I miss it so fucking much
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.