[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled. What is your opinion on Unova

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

File: 1472986961557.png (796KB, 803x777px) Image search: [Google]
1472986961557.png
796KB, 803x777px
Now that the dust has settled. What is your opinion on Unova and Gen V?

I've been playing through all the games and Unova, to me, feel less like a Pokemon game and more of a fan-made game. You're constantly shepherd from location to location with every route filled with ugly, ugly Pokemon selections.

The only good things about these games was the Dream World and the girls.
>>
>>28255570
gen 5 has a top tier dex

just a shame all the good ones are late game and evolve at level 89 so you have a team full of shit half the game
>>
Gen 5 was the best gen in overall quality.
>>
Tamako a cute A CUTE!!!
>>
I personally thought it was a great game but the story was just so boring to me.
>>
>>28255588
That might be true if it wasn't for the fact that Gen 4 was better
>>
>>28255570
Pokemon are mostly fanart-tier but the game is fun enough.
>>
File: [sweats externally].gif (1000KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
[sweats externally].gif
1000KB, 500x281px
>>28255590
Choi is cuter.
>>
File: Tamako-Love-Story.jpg (37KB, 450x642px) Image search: [Google]
Tamako-Love-Story.jpg
37KB, 450x642px
>>28255570
BW were boring as hell, couldn't didn't even reach the second gym.

B2W2 on the other hand were fresh and complete. B2 the best Pokémon game.
>>
>>28255570
To me gen V games felt like the only real Pokemon games, everything else was rehashes of the same old formula and cashgrab remakes. Shame XY wasted all of it, but I'm hopeful about SM.
>>
>>28255570
One of the two games I didn't finish because of how boring they were (the other being Omega Ruby). I didn't even give BW2 a try. Also the pokemon designs were terrible.
>>
>>28255570
Honestly, I'm not sure.

I don't really like Unova. While I don't hate the Pokemon added, none of them I'd say I love.
I didn't enjoy Black and White 1.

And yet, BW2 are my favorite games in the franchise. I'd say it's because of the postgame content, but I had a great time the whole way through.

So honestly, I'm not sure.
>>
>>28255570
Loved the region, loved the pokemon, loved the characters and loved the story. I do agree with the fact that you are put on a set path is shit but it didn't take away from the region for me. White is what got me back into pokemon because I stopped playing after Diamond and Pearl came out.
>>
i liked some things and disliked others. same with all games really. if i had to rate it i'd probably put it at third best gen.

more importantly, who is that semen demon?
>>
The PWT was the best feature. I want it to return
>>
it was fun
it just seems that literally everything is so fucking slow
>>
>>28255570
It was my least favorite gen. The story was too tryhard and stupid, the Pokemon designs were very polarizing, the battle music was terrible and the post game wasn't that great, but people will suck BW2's dick just because of its Battle Dome clone with the old trainers.
>>
>>28255617
>nigger bitch
>cute

lmao
>>
>>28255620
>B2W2 on the other hand were fresh and complete.
ITT: People who didn't actually play BW
>>
>>28256637
Garbage taste.
>>
>>28256637
"That's just the trouble with all you morons. You never want to discuss anything. That's the way you can always tell a moron. They never want to discuss anything intelligent"

-Salinger
>>
>>28256645
every time
>>
>>28255620
>Black TWO and White TWO were fresh

Are you fucking retarded? How is a direct sequel fresh while the original is not?
>>
>>28255605
Gen IV is the fucking worst, I thought that was clear.
>>
>>28255570
Before last month, I loved BW and hated BW2. Don't know why, I probably had something else to do when BW2 came out and wasn't interested enough in pokémon to appreciate.
I'm playing it now and, although unfair in some part, it's absolutely amazing, I love it. Also it has the best girls.
>>
>>28255679
I kinda feel the same way. I appreciate what they tried to do in Black/White, recreate the "BRAND NEW POKEMON" making you use nothing but a bunch of their new ones. However, I feel the forcing pushed me away than anything.

Black2/White2 on the other hand, added a lot to the game while letting you use pokemon from other generations. The story I feel was forgettable, but all the stuff you got to do after the story was great.

I do feel like the biggest thing holding it back was the lack of DS's true wifi. A lot of features could've benefitted using the 3DS's features, like Joint Avenue, those minigames, stuff like that.
>>
>>28255588
This. People who don't like Gen V are why I have 0 sympathy for people complaining about Gen VI. Gen VI was GF pretending Gen V never happened, and was a natural continuation/revitalization of all the problems of Gen IV.
>>
Gen V is kind of a mixed bag and the generation of "good idea, bad execution". I'm just going to throw some of my opinions here.

First of all, I like the idea that you can only find new Pokemon during the main game of BW. It was a very bold idea and a risky move that could have worked really well but they fucked it up with the distribution and levels. Most of the cool Mons that I'd like to use in my team are either found way too late in the game or evolve at such a high level (while being extremely weak in their first stage) that there's really no reason to start training them since I already have a full team. Examples include Litwick, Vanillite, Golett, Pawniard, Rufflet, Vullaby, Mienfoo, Ferroseed, Cryogonal, Bouffalant, Heatmor, Durant, Deino and Larvesta. This problem is further amplified by the fact that the early game is filled with shitmons that I don't really want to use (Patrat, Purrloin, Munna, Pidove, Blitzle and so on).

Now, the designs. Like I said, Gen V is a mixed bag. While it has many excellent designs like Gigalith, Excadrill, Scolipede, Darmanitan, Sigilyph, Cofagrigus, Escavalier, Galvantula, Chandelure and Golurk, it's also home to the absolute worst designs in the series. Notable examples from this category include Watchog, the elemental monkeys, Timburr line, Throh, Sawk, Trubbish line, Gothita line, Druddigon, musketeers and genies. It's also pretty much universally agreed that Gen V has both the worst starters and the worst legendaries in the series.
>>
>>28257140
The elemental monkies are based off of various Japanese forms of deliquency which I think gives them a step up. The worst designs ever would probably be Roggenrola's line, genies, and Zebstrika, imo. But you're entitled to your own sayings anon.
>>
>>28257140
(Cont.)

Moving on to the story. Yet again, a good idea. A story-based Pokemon game could have been really good but it's dumbed down to the point where it's just ridiculous and annoying if anything. The story forces you to walk a straight ahead in a linear region where N stops you every once in a while, shakes his head a million times and tells you how only one of you can be correct because the world is black and white (Get it? Black and white). At the end, he just goes "Hey, maybe we can both be right. Maybe the world isn't so black and white after all!" (Get it? Black and white). No matter how you look at this, it's not a good story. It's stupid and annoying.

Ghetsis starts off as a really good character. He's a genuinely evil guy who manipulates a little boy and brainwashes him to push his own agenda. Unfortunately GF throws this all out of the window and turns him into a Saturday morning cartoon villain who just wants to take over le world. I guess otherwise he would have been too evil or complex for a children's game or whatever but it's still a shame.

And the graphics? How could GF fuck up so badly? Gen V is the only generation to look worse than its predecessor. Everything is pixelated beyond belief, whether it's the back sprites or the horrible zoomed camera angles when walking or bridges and various other locations. The sprite movements are also super clumsy and awkward and many of them look completely retarded like Ferrothorn.

Now, there are also many great small details. I love that each gym has their own theme that gives them a certain atmosphere that differentiates them from the others. It's also great that for once the gym leaders actually do something instead of just sitting at the gym. Gen V also has an excellent soundtrack. Some of my favorite tunes include Nimbasa City, musketeer battle theme and the ending theme when the credits roll. Top tier compositions right here.
>>
>>28255570
I never played B2W2 but I really did like BW. MY main issues with the game were the shitty dex (there were hardly any pokemon i actually wanted to use) and the towns kind of felt too far apart. I think they make the routes too long, or just not fun to get through, and then there really isn't anything to do in the towns except battle the gym.
I did like the story and volcarona is one of my favorite pokemon. Also village bridge is a really neat area
>>
>>28257270
Gen V's aesthetics are great though
>>
File: HNI_0097.jpg (75KB, 500x694px) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0097.jpg
75KB, 500x694px
>>28255617
someone say choco loli
>>
>>28257270
(Cont.)

Do I still want to go on? It's not like I have anything better to do.

BW2 definitely improved on BW. The wild Pokemon selection is great and you have a lot to choose from right from the beginning. It also added a bunch of new places with some being good and some being bad. My favorite is definitely Join Avenue if only because you can train your high leveled Pokemon super easily there.

Now, I know many people praise BW2 for its post-game content, but I've never really understood what's supposed to be so special about it. Sure, there are three battle facilities, but none of them do anything groundbreaking like the Emerald Battle Frontier. You just fight pre-determined sets over and over again in normal battle formats. Other than that, there are a couple of towns that you run through and the movie studio that I personally hate, and that's pretty much it. I guess if you like Pokestar Studios then the BW2 post-game has a lot to offer, but whenever I replay BW2 I honestly drop the game pretty soon after going through the post-game towns because there isn't that much interesting stuff to do. EV training was a complete pain in the ass before Gen VI and I never want to do that again.

I've actually seen some people count hidden grottoes as post-game content, but if that's the case, then hunting for hidden abilities in horde battles also counts as post-game content in XY. Don't be that dumb.

>>28257391
How? How could you possibly think that those pixelated sprites and all the awkward zoomed in / zoomed out camera angles look good? I know the unovabortions on this board are blind to all criticism towards Gen V, but honestly you should praise some of the legitimately good things in those games such as the gym leaders, excellent soundtrack or all the great Bug-types. The graphics sure as hell don't fall into this group.
>>
I loved Gen V. That was the time where everyone of my friends had these games and we all played together. Good times.
I loved the story. Something new and different. And I also loved the new Pokémon.
>>
File: Popplio 3.png (302KB, 362x653px) Image search: [Google]
Popplio 3.png
302KB, 362x653px
>>28255588
This. You're welcomed to hate gen 5's pokemon for all I care but you can't say it's not one of the best gens in terms of quality and things to do.
>>
Playing through Black right now, 20 hours in and already heading to the 8th gym, which is really disappointing.

Routes are really straight forward, not much to do in any route other than 4 and 7, same with towns, everything feels very linear, basically just heading from town to take taking on Gym leaders with a bit of dialogue in between, which is still better than X/Y but not by much.

The Pokemon are pretty good though, I had a rough time deciding what I wanted to use beyond couple Pokemon I had messed around with a few years ago because there's so many designs I like, honestly don't know how you could find more than like 15% of the dex ugly, there's plenty of great designs on every route.

Music has been surprisingly better than I remembered, really like the music of Accumula, Nacrene, Castelia and Nimbasa. Along with Skyarrow bridge and a couple of the routes.
>>
>>28255570
Black and White are the worst main series games while their sequels are among the best.
>>
>>28257776
Characters have been alright, Cheren before he started saying "What a bother" every other sentence was a pretty good rival, Bianca on the other hand really only had one good moment, with her Dad in Nimbasa.
Really like Lenora, I really liked Normal types and she's chill.
Clay's dialogue was hard to read but he seemed okay too.

N is a retard and Ghetsis is just annoying.
And the rest I don't really have any opinion on.

And the battles have all been pretty easy, I think the only trouble I had was the first couple of Gyms and then I just started 1 to 2 shotting everything, and after starting this immediately after Platinum, it's pretty disappointing.

Overall I haven't had as much memorable fun as I've had with all the other Pokemon games I've played this year, but it's still been enjoyable. Hopefully this last stretch of story along with postgame makes up for the linearity so far.
>>
>>28257121
>gen 6 was GF pretending gen 5 didn't happen
>gen 6 had all of the gen 5 Mons between XY and ORAS

Okay
>>
>>28258275
That's youre argument. Not the statues of the dragons or name-dropping Colress?

Furthermore you can catch every pokemon between XY and ORAS just as you could catch everything between DPP and HGSS
>>
>>28259130
Why did brock have onyx if its so shitty? Why did misty have horsea if it sucks, did she evolve it all the way to kingdra in later seasons?
>>
>>28258275
>games that had all Pokemon happened to have gen 5 Pokemon too

No gen 5 Pokemon got Fairy typing or Megas in X and Y

And in ORAS we got arguably the worst competitive mega out there. Mega Audino
>>
>>28255585
>>28255588
Two first posts best posts
>>
>>28257895
i hope you know that Cheren and Bianca are meant to be taken as a pair of characters rather than separately. Cheren represents ideals while Bianca represents truths, just like with N and the MC.
>>
>>28257545
I think people do put A LOT of stock into PWT. The nostalgia factor I know hit me the most, being able to take on any gym leader/champion from all 5 generations was really cool. If that wasn't present, you could believe the overall hype of the game will drop drastically.
>>
>>28255620
It was the other way around for me. I still havent finished my copy of BW2
>>
>>28257140
>It's also pretty much universally agreed that Gen V has both the worst starters and worst legendaries.
Fuck you. /vp/ isn't one person. Although I would agree that they perform quite poorly during the story more so than other starters.
>>
>>28257545
The sprite animations gave more life and character to the pokemon though as well as to every NPC in BW2.
>>
>>28257545
But Gen 5 introduced hidden abilities though. :^)
>>
>>28255570
>The only good things about these games was the Dream World and the girls.
/thread
>>
Black White 2 was the shit
>>
File: 1471897845196.jpg (9KB, 203x200px) Image search: [Google]
1471897845196.jpg
9KB, 203x200px
>>28255620
I know how you feel. I didn't get very far in BW and quit it early on. Then I tried BW2 a few months after it came out and feel back in love with the series. I wanted more of Unova so badly that I even went back and finished BW with no trouble after beating BW2.

I also get what you mean by "fresh and complete", to me BW2 is the definitive version of Unova and best experienced blind, which is why I always recommend people to play BW2 first and rush through BW afterwards if they want to know more of the story.

Not knowing the story of BW while playing through BW2 kept me interested because I wanted to know what happened. I can imagine it'd get annoying if you did know what happened and it'd feel like they're just hammering the same points again and again to someone who already played BW prior to BW2.
>>
File: 1457981448151.png (113KB, 528x640px) Image search: [Google]
1457981448151.png
113KB, 528x640px
I played BW and skipped BW2 for a few years, played it the first time a year ago or so.
I ended up dropping it around Undella town because I couldn't get into it, it just failed to hold my interest.

And then I replayed it a few months later and this game absolutely blew my mind with how great it ended up being.
>that Victory Road
>finding all these hidden sections with fully evolved wild Pokemon
>Doctors on routes to make leveling less of a hassle
>Colress being an intresting neutral type character, meanwhile Ghetsis goes off the deep end and tries to kill you
>Iris being an outstanding champion design wise, team wise and music wise
>all this postgame content
BW2 and HG/SS are just about tied for my favorite games, I just can't put either of them in 2nd place because they both did so many things right.
>>
File: 1412209321003.png (2MB, 1000x1558px) Image search: [Google]
1412209321003.png
2MB, 1000x1558px
BW1 was the first game I played after a VERY long hiatus and I loved it. I got my ass kicked in the Elite 4 twice because I was an idiot. I had a lot of fun and genuinely enjoyed the other and the characters. Being forced to use the new dex is the thing I liked the most about it.
>>
>>28257270
>>And the graphics? How could GF fuck up so badly?
I would take pixel heavy sprites over the washed out looking models of X/Y, anyone who can't appreciate spritework leads a sad, sad life.
>>
>>28260976
*plot and characters, woops
>>
>>28259158
>What is audino
>>
>>28260976
The E4 in BW/BW2 were HARD at first go.
>>
I love Gen 5 as a whole.

I honestly think the dex is the best we've had, don't dislike a single mom at all.
The difficulty is perfect, characters are likable, the music is so catchy, the region is pretty and Plasma has one of the best and most solid reasons of all villain teams.
Nothing can make me dislike it tbqh.
>>
I loved the actual attempt at a decent story, switching up the Elite 4 and Champion sequence, Legendary vs. Legendary...was cool.

The new Pokemon were also pretty cool. I'm of the opinion that Gen 5 had some of the best designs of the series (apart from the non-box legendaries)

We also got difficulty options for the first time and decent Post-game.

My only gripe with it is the the sprites would look kinda pixelated from time to time.
>>
>Balanced difficulty
>GOAT soundfont and great music
>BW2's god-tier postgame
>Really good-looking UI
>Excellent worldbuilding, gym leaders feel like part of their towns
>Shaking up the E4/Champion formula
>Over-the-top moments like N's Castle and Plasma Frigate

I fucking love Gen V
>>
>>28261128
Audino is still normal type
>>
>>28261406
I feel like GameFreak forgets that this is a fictional unrealistic world. They shouldn't be afraid to do over-the-top shit. If they make it theatrical, fighting trainers in bizarre places like distortion world, people go crazy over that shit.
>>
File: 1470577286996.png (81KB, 337x294px) Image search: [Google]
1470577286996.png
81KB, 337x294px
>>28261406
And then Gen VI comes along and throws most of that out of the window. I'm getting the feeling Gen VII will be the same.
>>
>>28255570
>Dream World
>good
cartoon network tier flash game autism
utterly awful in every way
thank god you could cheat your way for free pokes
>>
>>28259158
Whimsicott exists.
>>
>>28255570
BW was borderline unplayable

BW2 was good although online was still pure fucking cancer
>>
>>28255570
They're the worst because GF killed their wifi
>>
>>28255570
Objectively worst because the rivals are nothing like Wally, the guy you bullied at the beginning and later become pissed at you, justified ofc
>>
>>28259158
Don't forget how every single Gen V powerhouses are btfo'd by weather getting fucked, fairies, memebird and mega evolution
>>
>>28261814
Doesn't count. It's a gen vi pokemon now.
>>
>>28255570
I'll be honest, Unova had the most forgettable pokemon. That doesn't mean they aren't good, though. Just easy to forget.
>>
>>28256645
>>
>>28263239
To be fair power creep for everything has been insane
>>
>>28263334
>tumblr
ahahahahaha look at this faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 720x421px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 720x421px
I could just keep posting this every day
>>
>>28263334
I think you mean the "I wanna fit in with the niggers" starter pack
>>
>>28263493
Gen 4 and 5 will always be hated and the worst, that cycle is invalid
>>
>>28255570
Story was ironically the worst in the series, because it's just as dumb as the rest but shoved down your throat way more. It just barely touches on an interesting concept of slavery and does absolutely nothing with it, constantly contradicting itself and eventually dropping the point altogether. It pretends to be more mature than it is, making it the definition of pretentious.

The handholding was pretty obnoxious. The region was varied but doesn't feel cohesive. More like they had a checklist of climates/environments and just stapled them together in no particular order.

Pokemon were the most mixed bag, some of the best and worst in the franchise.

Reusable TMs were long overdue and probably the biggest contribution these games made to the series. Otherwise it just felt like a rehash, like filler between their first foray into 3D (gen 4) and the complete transition to it (gen 6). I feel like nothing would be lost if they just skipped these games, maybe even saved the roster for gen 6.
>>
>>28255570
The game was designed so you would never run across an old mon until post-game. It was the largest dex expansion to date. So yeah, it had more crappy filler designs, but that still doesn't detract from all the good shit it added.

It was the most adventurous GF had been in a long time, and they look to be returning to that mindset with SuMo.
>>
>>28255570
Pokemon black and white 2 are my favorite games of all time.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.