[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question about getting into competitive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: 1470792494770.gif (1MB, 400x239px) Image search: [Google]
1470792494770.gif
1MB, 400x239px
I want to try out playing competitive on Showdown or something since battle spot is plagued with legendaries and after 2 days of playing i found that the diversity is horrible
But how do i actually build a team? i heard that getting good at battling comes later and building is more important but what do i need?
Let's say, i want to play in OU with Mega Loppuny as my Mega or play in UU with M-Beedril
What else do i need? I'm completely new to these things and know jack shit about meta or things like stall team or hazard and stuff

Thanks for responses, I'm currently skimming through a lot of things at smogon forums to increase my knowledge
>>
>>28243517
watch some world championship fights
>>
>>28243517
Be a Karenfag at first, just to get it out of your system. Then Pick a Pokemon you want to use in a specific tier and build a team around it, not that difficult. Sand tean in OU is pretty easy to make.
>>
>>28243517
get a mega lopunny with Fake out and last resort.

it will crush anything that doesn't resist normal and isn't a talon flame. Throw in shit that can handle mons that can easily handle lopunny and your good to go.
>>
Ferrothorn with block is my favorite to leech seed first turn then protect then block then toxic no direct attacks but you stall long enought for the toxic to kill
>>
>>28244162
>the opponent used taunt
>>
smc out
>>
>>28243517
don't listen to this guy>>28243818
He's a smogonite. Fall into their trap and you won't have any freedom and will become toxic.

Watch some some team building guides on youtube to get a good idea.I'll link one that I used. But you can also look up shofu's team building guide too. His is pretty solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OIQHF4loF
>>
>>28243517
from my experience it's all stealth rock, predictions, predictions, and predictions
>>
>>28243517
>i want to play in OU with Mega Loppuny as my Mega
Alright, you already have an idea of what you want to do, good. Next step is seeing what counters M-Lopunny, like the Bravest of Birds for example, and then seeing what counters the Bravest Bird, say Heatran or Rotom-W, now you take a look at what counters Heatran and Rotom-W and look for counters to that. When you assemble a full team, then jump into OU and start making adjustments on your team depending on what is commonly destroying you, keep doing that and you'll have a solid team to work with.
>>
>>28244174
yes, strategies have counters. good job. welcome to every competitive game ever.
>>
>>28244268
my strats don't have counters because everyone runs the same god damn team and are never equipped to handle me.
>>
>>28243517
Just ignore all these boring fuckfarts and smogon (unless you wanna play in some "official" event). Use the mons you like, but try keep your team balanced and learn how to use different moves and objects. You can check smogon or whatever for reference when you start, of course, but those are just some rules a bunch beardnecks came up with, so there's no need to stick to them if you're not told to. Do some research, build your strategy and have fun with your bromons. That's what's fun about Pokemon
>>
File: Koffing.png (848KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Koffing.png
848KB, 1366x768px
>>28244408
This.

Smogon mascot is literally toxic. Really makes you think.
>>
>>28244444
>>
File: 1397273006899.png (109KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1397273006899.png
109KB, 500x667px
Holy fuck there's a lot of terrible advice ITT.

OP: Teambuilding is NOT the way to start when you're new. Play the format. Get a feel for it. Understand it inside and out. THEN you can start to PROPERLY teambuild to try to accommodate the entire format. This goes for any format, be it VGC or Smogon Singles.

This means the best way to start would be to steal someone's team and just get a feel for how it works. What is every Pokémon's purpose on the team? How do they deal with other Pokémon commonly used in that format? What's your win condition? How do they work together?

If you just try to start teambuilding right away without understanding the format, you'll do naive stuff like picking teammates based on type synergies instead of the role they share and you probably won't be able to deal with sweepers once they set up. You might automatically gravitate to a balance team this way which isn't necessarily bad but not all Pokémon can fit on a balance playstyle.

Please don't jump into teambuilding right away, it's not that easy.

>>28244240
What the fuck is wrong with you dude, he literally says to build a team around your favorites and you're saying that that's a toxic trap? Are you this brainwashed into thinking Smogon is the devil?
>>
>>28243517
Watch some youtube videos of people who battle competitively. I recommend PokeaimMD cuz he plays different smogon tiers and actually talks out his moves so the viewers can get a grasp at what he's doing. He also puts the teams he uses in the description of his videos so you can try them out.
>>
If you want tiers, Battle Spot is not your place

Battle Spot runs with different rules accomodating to the season. Right now it's playing by vgc rules so get your Grouneas or get fucked.
>>
File: smogoncyanide.jpg (33KB, 714x249px) Image search: [Google]
smogoncyanide.jpg
33KB, 714x249px
Glad to see all my VGC bros representing the one and true meta.

OP, do not read anything smogon has to say as their meta game is flawed, worthless, and unofficial.
Their community is also riddled with pedophiles and in the past year alone two were caught diddling kids using showdown.

Use nugget bridge to learn about VGC and if you think you're good enough after a while attend some events and you might just win epic prizes for playing this game.
>>
>>28244162
>Ferrothorn
>Ponyta used Ember
>>
File: official = good.png (40KB, 724x705px) Image search: [Google]
official = good.png
40KB, 724x705px
>>28244844
There isn't a single person posting about VGC ITT but you, cutie.

Smogon's format is by far the best one to play by if you want to use a wide variety of Pokémon without having them be fucking worthless. OP has already said he's going through Smogon and used Smogon tiers as examples.

I'm sure that official is automatically good because devs are infallible and everything released by Game Freak is good and just and has no faults and the game is perfectly balanced.
>>
File: back.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
back.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
>>28244693
Prove me wrong.
>>
I just play randoms so I don't have to worry about teambuilding stuff.
>>
>>28243517
Start by using teams made by other more experienced players, especially if you can get an insight as to how the team was built or how it is meant to play.
That's the fastest way to learn about the most common strategies, cores and team synergy.

I'd recommand the smogon sample teams (just google it) or on youtube with the likes of macadii.

After you've some of those teams for a while, try to modify them yourself to better fit your needs and tastes, playtesting every change and slowly building your own personnal and efficient team.
>>
File: .png (118KB, 288x276px) Image search: [Google]
.png
118KB, 288x276px
>>28245078
Why would you even provide your input?
>>
>>28243517

Listen to >>28243818, >>28244257, >>28244408, >>28244786.

Be creative and playtest. But your base should be covering weaknesses and team roles for any mon you want to play with. Team roles are generally sweeper, wall, bulky offense, setup mon, hazard setter, hazard remover, cleric, etc. The important ones you'll learn are the ones involving hazard.

Pokeaim and Thunderblunder are great competitive battlers to follow on Youtube. I watched Pokeaim to get gud, and shofu is the one who got me into competitive in the first place but he's out of the loop nowadays.

Do not copypaste people's teams. It sets horrible trends and makes the game stale, and makes you less invested. You'll have a lot more fun battling with something you make yourself.
>>
>>28244906
>Obvious switch to my Scarf Heatran
>Heatran used Overheat
Send your fodder
>>
>>28245078
Why the Fuck did you post then?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.