[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do you like stone evolutions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: 6320645_orig[1].png (34KB, 470x239px) Image search: [Google]
6320645_orig[1].png
34KB, 470x239px
I've never been a fan of using evolutionary stones unless it's for a split evolution.

I get that the point is "you can decide when to evolve!" but that implies there's actual choice on your end. But it's not, the answer of "when to evolve" is always "when you've learned all the moves you want". Sure, you can evolve earlier, if you're frustrated with your mon being too shitty, but then you won't get the move, so it's really just an option between doing it right, or being an impatient fuck and screwing it up for yourself.

Why even give the player that option, if there's only 1 right answer? Besides, other Pokemon already have the "delay evolution to learn stronger moves earlier" if you want, which is essentially the same thing, except hopefully the evolution level is st up in a way to make sure you have the necessary moves before advancing.

For example, what if Vulpix just evolved at 33 or something - and then Ninetales had an actual learnset as well, so you could continue getting the rest of the moves. Wouldn't this be better?
>>
>>28239321
I'd like them better if a lot of the stones weren't a pain to get. I don't want to have to replay a level of secret super training a dozen times just to get a dawn stone. If in future games we could buy all of them instead of playing stupid minigames for them that would be great.
>>
They were more of a big deal in first gen, when you had a limited amount of Moon stones.
>>
File: 1442367136284.png (33KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1442367136284.png
33KB, 200x200px
>Evolution stone store
>Only sells Fire, Water, and Leaf Stones
>>
>>28239375
I guess when the stones are limited it's like "which one are you gonna use it on, huh?"

But these days, nothing is that scarce. And you could always buy Fire/Leaf/Water/Thunder stones!

It just seems like an opportunity for dumb players to screw themselves over by evolving too soon, and a pointless hassle for smart players to evolve at the proper time.
>>
At the worst they're a pain to find.

Trade evos are a pain and trade evos that require a held item are just plain obnoxious.
>>
>>28239415
Is there a list of how many uses each stone has? I feel like the leaf stone only has like four uses, but every vendor sells them and not useful shit.
Would have fucking lost my mind if XY didn't just give them to me for playing minigames well.
>>
Well, let's hope that they have a wider variety of stones to sell in SuMo.

And I agree with >>28239452, especially on the held items thing. I'm so paranoid on the GTS (especially because it dosn't have a held item filter) that I ask for the evo I want on the spot as a surefire way of getting it.
>>
The stones exist for one purpose only: gameplay variety. You can't have everything evolve in the same way, that'd be too boring, so there are a multitude of different methods. Logically, there is no other reason for them to exist save for a split evo, and even that can be done in other ways. Any other justification for why evos are done this way contradicts itself, since if there's only one evo, why gate it behind an item? Unless you're only supposed to have the evo at a certain part of the game. Pokemon was never structured that way, if you can evolve, then it will let you evolve. Levels were a good enough gate for that.
>>
>>28239491
Fire Stones and Dawn Stones are the most useless.
3/4 Fire Stone evos are from Gen I. Pansear is the only exception.
Dawn Stone only has two evolutions which only work on one gender, meaning roughly half of the evolve-able Pokemon cannot be used.
>>
>>28239415
The is the worst. Trying to find Moon, Dusk, and Shiny Stones is suffering.
>>
>>28239707
For moon stones you can have a l61+ pickup mon snag you one... sometimes. So I heard.
>>
Stones annoy me when they aren't sold at the pokemart in a game.

It's super annoying being uncertain of whether or not you will have enough stones to get the pokemon you want.
>>
>>28239582
> You can't have everything evolve in the same way, that'd be too boring
I disagree, I don't think "use a stone!" or "max friendship!" are interesting at all.

Even the "evolve when upside-down" is kinda stupid, because it's not hard to accomplish in the least, and the only way you'd find out how to do it is by reading it online or in a book. But that information isn't even hard to find, because they announced how to do it with the Pokemon, and every time they bring it up!
>>
as a kid, I thought that the stones could be used to force an evolution for ANY pokemon of that type - for example, you could evolve Wartortle to Blastoise with a Water Stone at any time. And then of course some pokemon required a stone, with no natural evolution.

Of course that's not how it works, but I think it would make more sense if it did, and give use to stones when you aren't running a team that requires one.
>>
>>28239972
Nothing that has a mechanic like this is completely straightforward with it. Unless you want to give an example of a game where all evolutions can be obtained just blindly faffing about.
>>
I was thinking about this a few days ago and I just thinking it would be a lot more fun if there were a few more Stone only evolutions. They're already a little rare to come across and really most of the time you just end up with a lot of unused Stones

With more Pokémon that evolve through then it'd be more interesting, although granted, the whole "no more attacks" thing sucks

But it would be sokved if we had access to some more TMs with infinite use
>>
>>28239355
>want to evolve mon for battling
>have to play football balloon minigame 600 times to get evolution stone

Does anyone know if super footballing is gonna be in the next game because if so I don't think I want to buy it.
>>
Most of them are solid design-wise and battle-wise, so sure.

Of course you're rational enough now to want to wait until it gets all the moves you want but somebody else might've been tempted by the immediate power. It's a decent trade-off.
>>
>>28239452
>things that are difficult are bad

why not just start you off with a level 100 of every pokemon that way you don't even have to play the game
>>
I like them. It's interesting having a wide variety of evolution methods. I'd like it if they weren't so neglected.

What if in later games you can force non-Alola(or other region if it becomes an ongoing thing) to turn into or evolve into other regional forms by using stones? That'd be neat. It won't happen though.
>>
>>28240031
in Fire Emblem, all units max out at level 20, and then you use the Master Seal to advance to their next class.

In Digimon Cyber Sleuth, as long as you meet the Level and Stat requirements, you can digivolve to the next level.

And I do think that there's something to be said for not allowing a player to fuck themselves out of a decent pokemon because they used the stone as soon as they got it, without checking online to see what moves they needed to learn first. It's not a choice, there's a right and wrong way to use a stone, and since the "skill" involved in knowing the "right way" is just one of looking it up, I don't see the point.

Now, if you wanted some actual variety, how about changing how pokemon gain exp, instead of deciding which arbitrary, easily-obtained gate item you need to evolve? Maybe some pokemon get small amounts of exp for every attack they use. Maybe some gain exp upon taking damage, instead. Maybe they gain exp faster in the water, faster with a certain pokemon in the party, etc. That would change how you actually played the game.
>>
>>28239737
Yeah, one thing I did in ORAS was make a box full of utility Pokemon. I have six Level 90 Linoone for picking up items now.
>>
>>28240374
And the Master Seal is obtained by default? Is this one items that can be used infinitely, or do you need to get more of them?

As for Cyber Sleuth, yeah, you're not going to get EVERY evolution just by fighting random monsters. Heck, you might not get an evo simply because the ABI is too high to get just from straight up evolving. Some, you'll need Camaraderie, which good luck to you on that, since to have max you'll outright need to fight 100 monsters if you don't have food to increase it with.

NO, there is no way a blind idiot would know how to do all that, and beyond it, some of the stats you need for certain digimon will require a balancing act equivalent to EVs to do right. I refuse to believe anyone could do that.
>>
File: 1471642973832.png (127KB, 599x337px) Image search: [Google]
1471642973832.png
127KB, 599x337px
>>28239452

I hate trade evos. It always feels bad sending my Pokemon away, even if I'm going to get them back.
>>
Stones would be fine if it weren't for the fact that they haven't been buyable since fucking gen 3
>>
>>28239590
Thunderstone only works on Pikachu, Eevee and Eelektrik

Fire works on Eevee, Vulpix, Growlithe and Pansear
>>
I've been trying to get a dusk stone in oras for a while now for my doublade. Shit's impossible. I'm all for gimmicky evolution methods but when you need an item that's retardedly hard to get is so dumb.
>>
They should make another Pokemon that evolves via oval stone
>>
>>28239375
In gen I you could get 5 or 4 moons, and only 4 pokémon evolved with them
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.